Cooley toils at FedEx (no, not that one)

So you read Chris Cooley explaining the team's complicated play-calling system , which he's mostly witnessed from atop crutches. Cooley has been hurt since suffering a broken bone in Sherm Lewis' first game as play-caller.

On Monday, he was placed on season-ending injured reserve, marking the first time in his career that Cooley wasn't able to play all 16 games.

But it didn't take him long to find work. By Tuesday morning, he'd already find a new job -- albeit a temporary one. Cooley was one of a handful of NFL players stationed today at FedEx stores around the country, helping pack and ship goods before the holidays.

He was wearing a clunky boot on his right foot, protecting the broken bone that ended cooley.jpghis season. Just a day earlier, Cooley was at Redskins Park, meeting with Coach Jim Zorn. They'd been talking regularly since Cooley broke a bone in his ankle on Oct. 26, and Zorn had told the tight end that the Redskins' Dec. 13 game at Oakland would be a targeted return-date.

"I talked to Jim last week, and he said, 'Listen if we win [at Philadelphia] and there's any thought of a playoff push, if we win a couple of games, we'll keep you on that thought," Cooley said today.

"So then I went in yesterday, he said, 'You know, we said that if he we won, we'd keep pushing it; but if we lose, IR.' And that's probably best for me."

Taking a break from working the FedEx counter, Cooley said a crack was still visible in X-rays last week and not rushing his return will allow the bone to fully heal. He said he'd likely attend the Redskins three remaining home games, including this weekend's against the Saints. As for the two road trips, he's not as certain. He didn't attend the Redskins games at Dallas or Philadelphia last weekend.

"I'm not a real vocal guy," Cooley said. "Throughout my career, any type of leadership role has been by example and by the way I've played. So I'm just a body on the sidelines basically. I'll give high-fives, you know. They all work all week and when you're in it -- when you're in the game -- you have such an agenda. You're so driven that another guy on the sidelines isn't a big deal. Let's say Todd Yoder is the one who got hurt. I don't care if he's the one on the sidelines giving me a high five. When you're playing, you're so focused on what you're doing."

While fans lined up to have a Pro Bowler tape and ship their boxes, Cooley seemed pretty focused. Wearing his No. 47 jersey and a FedEx nametag that read, "Chris," he worked the counter for about 90 minutes this morning. While new hires are usually given in a six-hour training seminar, Cooley's crash course was condensed in a few minutes.

"I learned how to ship. I learned the basics of shipping really, how to package, how to tape them up, how to protect the packages," Cooley said. "Then we shipped and I went through the whole computer thing -- sent something to Vietnam, sent something to Georgia."

Cooley's appearance is part of FedEx's "Pack and Ship" promotion and Super Bowl ticket giveaway. Jason Witten similarly packed goods in Dallas, Chad Henne in Miami, Matt Schaub in Houston, Patrick Willis in San Francisco and Greg Olsen in Chicago.

"I didn't know what to expect to be honest. A lot of times you'll come to something like this, sit and sign autographs," Cooley said. "This has been really cool."

By Rick Maese  |  December 1, 2009; 2:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley: Playcalling is 'a carousel of calls'
Next: Portis has one more hurdle to clear

Comments

Just getting caught up.

Now Jarmon’s on the IR too? Sheesh…..Dropping like flies, but I like how the younger guys are playing. Maybe the 2nd round triplets will be ballers after all.

Gregg Williams will be jacked up for this game…..however it went down, he was let go instead of retained, and if someone says “you ain’t good enough, buh bye”, then there is gonna be some extra sweetener in facing them again. If you can’t see that then maybe you‘ve never been fired or cut from any job or team in your life. Amazing how he’s got starting corners who were on the street 3 weeks and 1 week ago and they basically shut down Brady/Moss/Welker. Very impressive. Skins young guys better be ready. Those corners were jumping more stuff than Assante was on Sunday….hope the “brain-trust” can see that and figure out how to set up some double moves and counter plays.

From the game last night, I sure was jealous watching Drew Brees throw accurate passes all over the place. I think he threw like one bad ball……I don’t know what the stats say that the difference in accuracy is between Campbell and Brees ( I assume Brees is higher), but watching Brees throw a deep ball just makes me realize how inconsistent JC17 is with his passes. He had a nice one to Kelly on Sunday, and had a perfect deep pass to Moss earlier in the year for a long TD, but other than those, he just can’t seem to connect when guys are running open deep. If JC17 had that kind of touch it would open up so many different things. Even when he has time he doesn’t seem to hit the guys in stride. Oh well….having said all that, he is still not the biggest problem, and I hope the FO goes OL in the draft. Get the line straightened out before blowing a pick on a QB….

Sunday could be rough….here’s hoping for a huge upset. We could use Big Al in a big way…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 1, 2009 2:51 PM

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

They should haze Snyder, tape him up, and ship him to Iran or something. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I wonder where Portis was during this? Probably skipping practice.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

to be truthfull sounds like borderline racism to me, just like when Doug was here but he'll be gone soon enough and i'm sure that will make a lot of you so called fans happy.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 1, 2009 2:06 PM

Starting Soup (after being handed the job on a platter) over the last QB to lead DC to the playoffs the year before, who drove the team into the ditch (compare both of their DC numbers: rating, soup 81, TC 85 - winning %, soup 36%, TC 75% and playoff appearances, Soup none, TC one) tells me that soup supporters are: blind to the facts, ageists, borderline reverse racists, love wearing their soup jerseys, and or have him starting on their FF football team. Or something else I've overlooked.

P.S. Doug was better than Jay obviously and should have started sooner. And, the Pac-10 has the most SB champ QB's followed by the SEC.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I like cooley a lot but wouldn't compare his practice to portis. He's younger and gets much less beat up at tight end versus tailback. And he's a very average blocker at best. Bottom line, cooley does well, but I just don't consider cp the loafer many make him out to be.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 2:59 PM |

So are you recommending that TC should be the starting QB next year?

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Cooley only threw the Offensive staff under the bus thats all. I'm not saying the the "carousel of call" isn't true, I'm saying that if CP would have said it, he would have been lit up. And please, this has nothing to do with practice or anything else.

Posted by: dcwun |

Even if you consider this 'throwing the coaches under the bus', which I don't, Cooley has the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't been in MULTIPLE situations like this before, a la Portis.

I'm willing to bet if you asked the 51 other guys on our team who they'd rather keep, Portis or Cooley, the majority would say Cooley.

(And our team is predominantly black, for those playing the race card).

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 2:59 PM |
-----------------------------------

I actually have him on my FF team, because I thought he'd finally come of age this season. Boy was I wrong.

I don't have his jersey though - I have #21 and #47.

PS: If some of them are reverse-racists, they'll never admit it so it's a moot point.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So are you recommending that TC should be the starting QB next year?

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:04 PM

It should be open competition at EVERY position in perpetuity. Equal opportunity for all. Not what happens at DC as we know. TC still has 1 year left on his deal. May the best man WIN. We can always accept that, right?

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I figure TC retires after this season. He surely won't be starting next year.

They made a mistake by tossing Colt on IR. At 3-8, they could have put him out there for the last 5 games and see what he has.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Rypien, I don't defend portis' run-ins with zorn, but I hate when people say he's selfish for stuff like his costumes at press conferences. Meanwhile, cooley was in some of them, likes showing up at practice in briefs and posts his junk online and it's "fun-loving". So based on that, cooley has had plenty of incidents. Don't get me wrong, cooley is great, people just need to lay off the recent portis bashing.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"Genuine honsety huh? Hillarious. So you are telling me over the past few years, Cooley has "out produced" CP?"

Relative to their positions? Yes, he actually has. Though that's not a knock on Portis, as he's been remarkably consistent over his career.

But he hasn't been for the last year. And the last year is when his mouth started popping off.

Portis mouths off saying "if I had this line, I would be running like Adrian Peterson." Or "we got a genius for a head coach, so that's why I got benched."

Cooley isn't out there spouting off because he isn't producing. Cooley is out there because the team isn't producing.

See the difference?

And yes, it has everything to do with practice, performance, and attitude. One guy is out there for the team, the other guy is out there for himself. The next time Cooley responds to a critical comment with his "pockets are straight", then you can lump them together.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

WoW, that hurts my eye's to read! Jim Zorn should have just given Sherm the green light on all play calling, what a cluster....moving on to the offseason and what our plan should be:

Trades:
Landry - Draft Pick Value, 1st Rd (pick 12-22 value estimate)
Andre Carter - Draft Pick Value, 1st Rd (pick 22-32)
Santana Moss - Draft Pick Value, 3rd Rd
Golston - Draft Pick Value, 4th Rd

Summary - My value chart may be high, but I think that Landry gets you an easy 1st, despite contract/poor play this year and while a 1st for Andre may seem high, his value is HIGH right now and he can really help a quality offensive team like the Saints or the Vikings/Cincy. Moss is getting older but is solid value at a 3rd and DT usually get 4th/5th rd trade value so Golston being young nets the 4th. Optimistic, but assuming a deal gets done in Collective Bargining there will be very few FA's and the trade machine should start heating up.

Free Agents Strategy:

Sign as many Special Teams Studs as possible with the goal of creating the number 1 ranked special teams unit in the NFL. These guys come cheap and they play hard in practice as well as provide good back ups to our Roster. Let Campell and Carlos leave via Free Agency, this should net us some serious Compensatory picks as they were both 1st Rounders who played a great deal of snaps this year, usually that means a higher comp picks like 4th or even a 3rd rounder. Sign a Vet QB to run the offense next year, get away from the big name QB until after this next draft. Finally, if we can get Cribbs from the Browns next year, DO IT, he is a total stud on Special Teams who can also be a deep threat replacement for Moss with more size.

Draft Picks:

3 1st Rd
1 2nd
1 3rd
3 4th (1 trade for Golston and 1 Comp)
2 5th
1 6th
1 7th

If this scenario plays out, then we are set up for success. Again, very optimistic but not impossible. Here would be the possitions I would take assumming the above and NO trade downs in the 1st round:

1st LT, 1st RT, 1st DT(big stud next to AH)
2nd RG
3rd RB
4th LT 4th LB 4th Safety or CB
5th QB 5th RB
6th DE
7th WR

This would provide us with 4 new offensive lineman, a stud DT to add to our $100M boy and a break away RB to team with CP and replace Betts (torn ACL/MCL, that sucks). The LB's provide good Special Teams support and additional backups to Rocky/Flecter. We all know Zorn is gone so no point in adding that to this list..Vinny, well, I think he gets another shot this year at best and moves to somewhere else in the Org at worst (President of Football Operations, removiing the GM title)

Thoughts?

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Cooley won't be a redskin by the start of 2011 season*. Hope I am wrong, but book it.

* assuming their is no lock out/strike

Posted by: chrislarry | December 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 3:11 PM |

True, except with a new coach and with a QB with maybe 1 year left in him, wouldn't make more sense to invest your future in someone who will actually be on the team in the near future, we can agree on that can't we?

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Realness1 what I mean to say is that invest time in TC with a new staff and direction is a waste of time IMO. To each his own i guess.

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

There is no such thing as a reverse racist or reverse racism.

If white doesnt like a black because of his race he is a racist

If a black doesnt like an asian because of his race he is a racist.

If an asian doesnt like a Mexican because of his race he is a racist.

Anyone discriminating because of race is a racist.

So what is a reverse racist?

Someone who hates their own race?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Trades:
Landry - Draft Pick Value, 1st Rd (pick 12-22 value estimate)
Andre Carter - Draft Pick Value, 1st Rd (pick 22-32)
Santana Moss - Draft Pick Value, 3rd Rd
Golston - Draft Pick Value, 4th Rd

Simply BRILLIANT....nothing more needs be said.....

until this nugget:

"Sign as many Special Teams Studs as possible with the goal of creating the number 1 ranked special teams unit in the NFL"

Brilliance meet Exponential Brilliance.....who knew it could happen...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What he'd have is a broken hip. Did you watch the sugar bowl? That's what Campbell is facing every week. Our line averages barely over 2 seconds of protection. We are 30th in pass protection. We're not ok, we're not a little bad, we're downright terrible in pass pro.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Are you all joking with the "Cooley didn't throw anyone under the bus" bs?

Um, it's obvious that he did. Simply by giving details as to how the plays are called.

It's also obvious that the coaching staff and the front office don't want every minute detail of the 'carousel of calls' out there. Otherwise, why would they put an essential gag order on Sherman Lewis?

It's amazing how some of you all roll. When Portis speaks his mind it's garbage and he's doing it for his selfish reasons. But when sacred cow Chris Cooley starts popping off at the mouth it's: "oh, he's just being genuinely honest."

Double standard, kettle calling pot black, goose/gander, and whatever else.

With all that said, I respect Chris Cooley. Like to see him retire here, but it's obvious that some are willing to turn a blind eye to his faults no matter what he does, for whatever reason. I guess simply because he's Chris Cooley and that's it.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

AdamCr- I agree, I don't have a problem with either of them doing those sorts of things. I was enjoying Portis when he did that. I don't consider it selfish.

But Portis has not been producing in the last year +, and it sure seems as though he is not enjoying football or his teammates, on or off the field.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1, do you think the value is correct on the trades?

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

So what is a reverse racist?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 1, 2009 3:20 PM |
----------------------------

It's a contemporary term for black-to-white racial bias, and if you prefer to pretend it isn't in use in our culture that's fine, but don't try and sell anyone on the idea that it isn't currently in use.

It is.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

And as I said earlier, put Campbell in a competition with Collins and Colt and see who comes out on top. It's predictable, just like it was this past offseason when every single documented observer of Redskins practices and camps noted that Campbell was years ahead of every other QB taking turns running the offense. There's a reason he has been, is, and will continue to be the starter throughout this season (and likely next year if they tender him), and it's not because he was handed the job.

Now if another Matt Ryan comes out next year, that's a different story (but I wouldn't bet on it).

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

1st LT, 1st RT, 1st DT(big stud next to AH)

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:17 PM

It's interesting that you included DT here. Given where the redskins are trending, they should be in line for one of the two DT studs projected to be in the top 5 of the draft this year.

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't see anyway that a team gives up a 1st for either Landry or Carter. The only DE I could possibly see getting a 1st rounder for is Jared Allen. And Carter is no Jared Allen, he's been inconsistent throughout his career. No way Landry gets a 1st either, undisciplined and doesn't really make alot of big plays. I could see a 3rd rounder for Moss, but he's the team's only big play WR at this point.
Cribbs is a RB not a WR. You could easily draft a RB in the 4th that could be a special teams ace for less then what Cribbs would get.
What vet QB would you sign? There's not many out there.
Overall, I think you're being WAY too optimistic and NFL FO's don't just give up 1st rounders all willy nilly.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV - you honestly thing that Portis and Cooley are on the same level when it comes to their interactions with teammates and coaches?

Bean - you're the guy who doesn't think anyone we have is worth anything - you can't really think that Landry and Carter are worth 1st round picks, do you?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Cooley is similar to Portis. Both have offbeat personalities, and both like to run their mouths now and then.

Gotta say I loved Cooley's Harpo Marx hairdo too.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1, do you think the value is correct on the trades?

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON...only you missed a 2nd rounder for Betts.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Red - what does it matter HOW the plays are called? He's not giving away what our plays are?

Do you think we would care if we found out how the playcalls get down to Eli? I wouldn't think twice about it.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"PFT is reporting that the Redskins are in active trade negotiations, with numerous teams for the following players:
Landry - Draft Pick Value, 1st Rd (pick 12-22 value estimate)
Andre Carter - Draft Pick Value, 1st Rd (pick 22-32)
Santana Moss - Draft Pick Value, 3rd Rd
Golston - Draft Pick Value, 4th Rd
As well as Ladell Betts, who is expected to fetch a 2nd rounder. Stay tuned"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Bean is sarcastic. Whew, I was worried there for a second.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------

People remember what they want to remember. Case in point: You.

Do you remember our defense collapsing that year against Philly? When Brian Westbrook ran right through where ST (injured, did not return) would have been?

Remember the Moss fumble against GB that was returned for the winning score?

Or the Buffalo Bills game that no one wanted to play after ST was killed?

Or that Portis and Moss combined for 3 fumbles in the loss to TB?

Or that the Giants had that terrible home court year (3-5 yet still won SB)?

Or that the Dallas game was basically a preseason game as they headed to the playoffs?

No one wants to remember all that stuff, because it doesn't fit the agenda at hand. It's much more fun to pin it all on one guy.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

ga8085, Jared Allen was traded to the Vikings for 2 1st Rd picks just a couple of years ago...10 to 12 sack DE's have STRONG value to FO's in the NFL. Landry is someone that had a major setback this year, BUT, he was a Pro-Bowler and is still very very young. I can see a Defensive minded team making a trade for him in the mid of the 1st...however, you may be right. What value do you place on Carter and Landry?

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON...only you missed a 2nd rounder for Betts.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Leave the poor guy alone, lol.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 1, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

footballguru- just so you know, Bean doesn't think we can trade anyone on our team for a 7th round pick.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Love Portis and Cooley quotes. Those dudes are characters, like [jumping up on old guy soapbox here] Dexter, Riggo, Gary Clark, Theeeeesman type characters. Great stuff. Great entertainment. F "medium"

Posted by: 4-12 | December 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Red

St. Cooley = St. Riggo, it doesn't matter that they do or say.

Chris Cooley = great guy and teammate and productive.

Clinton Portis = bad guy and teammate and not productive.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

See the difference?

Posted by: psps23

If attitude is a reflection of leadership, then can you blame Portis for popping off about various topics? Especially Zorn?

You know everyone likes to point out all the things Portis said about Zorn but know one mentions the fact that Zorn made his suggestive and subliminal comments first.

The "was it gushing blood" remark comes to mind first. But then again, you'll probably give Zorn a pass because he's a genuinely goofy son of a b!tch and he didn't mean anything by it. Zorn can say those things because Zorn is a head coach and Portis is just a player. Does this mean they're not men first and foremost?

To get respect you have to give respect thus earning it. Zorn being in his FIRST year at the time as HC/OC did nothing to earn the respect of his players, why? Because he's didn't give any from the jump.

Before his unwillingness to put players in on adjust his scheme, that is how I knew he was an egomaniacal jerk-off, who thought he'd earn some respect simply because he slipped and fell into the chair.

Zorn = Idiot, goofy, clown-ass, bama

Posted by: RedDMV | December 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"Bean - you're the guy who doesn't think anyone we have is worth anything"

Except Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis, who are all future pro-bowlers and any team that didn't want them would be certifiably insane. Their only setback has been a coaching staff that refuses to play them. Value: late first rounders.

Sorry, had to get that parting shot in there.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

for me, this really goes back to jreid and how portis is portrayed. We really don't know much about how portis enjoys his teammates, except for that an unnamed source in the locker room is upset he's missed practice due to injury. He made ill advised comments last year about zorn and since then, some people have tried to revive the feud. Whatever. As for being surly this year, we're 3-8. he cares. If he was cheery he would lack the "fire" that everyone criticizes jc for.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I want to cosign 4-12's statement above. I have zero issue with Portis or Cooley and them speaking their mind. What in this org demands respect, loyalty, discipline?????

Let your freak flag fly! Portis has provided some of the best Skins performances of the last 15 seasons. Is he a primadonna...of course its called being a "RB"....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What value do you place on Carter and Landry?

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I think both of them would fetch 3rd round picks. Carter is not the disruptive force that Allen is and needs alot of help around him to be effective. Also, he's undersized and struggles against the run sometimes. Landry: What can you say? What does he do well at this point? If you trade him with the thought of switching him back to SS, I still think a 3rd rounder would qualify for him. Polamalu: 1st round. And we all know Polamalu is all world and a game changer. So you can't say that both Landry and Pol would get 1st rounders for them because then you're saying Landry is almost if not just as good as Pol.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

gatorskinz

"There is no such thing as a reverse racist or reverse racism."

Be careful with the race chat.

I've been called Tom so much it makes my uncle mad.

The people who hate racism are often the most racist people you'll find.

They are the people who are intolerant in criticizing intolerance.

Me?: I hate everybody.

Especially cowboys fans.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

They should haze Snyder, tape him up, and ship him to Iran or something. ;)

It wouldn't work. There are laws and regulations against shipping certain substances through the mail services -- like you can't mail flamables, explosives and other hazardous chemicals. I presume the prohibition would extend to such human shicz such as Dan Snidely and Vinny Bugeyes.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It must be nice just bashing other posters on this blog...what a great life you must have beantown...provide some real commentary on your thoughts, Loser...PS, Cribbs is a WR and Special Teams IS CRITICAL to ALL SUCCESSFUL NFL TEAMS. Look at your team the PATS, their 1st priority in the offseason is securing ST players in FA, NOT splashy $100M FA's.

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

A 7th? I think they could get a 3rd round pick - which they currently lack - for Moss.

It might be good for everyone involved; I don't think Moss is happy here anymore, and it would allow DT and MK (and MM) to battle for the primary receiver spot.

They should dump ARE too. He's not much of a WR, and he sure as heck isn't a PR.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bean

I know you're joking, but there's only one guy most teams would trade for on our roster.

He's scored, overcome injury, is a pro bowler, and also performed admirably for the defense.

The player?: Hunter Smith

And I'm not trading him for anybody.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"But then again, you'll probably give Zorn a pass because he's a genuinely goofy son of a b!tch and he didn't mean anything by it."

Says who? I hate Zorn. He's an idiot. He often says things that make me want to stab myself in the ear with a pencil.

But that has nothing to do with the way Portis and Cooley have handled their criticisms separately. Cooley points out what is wrong, specifically, while Portis flat-out says his offensive line isn't good and sarcastically calls his head coach a 'genius.'

It would be the same difference between a QB who corrects a receiver's route when it was done poorly and a QB who simply tells the WR he sucks.

Maybe they're both right, but they're also not the same criticisms.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

The next time Landry whiffs because he's trying to lay the wood on someone he needs to be benched. They've tolerated it too long and it needs to stop.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, my bad, I thought Cribbs was a RB. But if that's the case, on a team as bad as the Browns, why is he not getting more action in the starting lineup? As for Carter, if we had a competent GM, then maybe a 2nd rounder could be had for him. That's another thing you have to take into consideration, Cerrato is not really known for getting great value for anyone.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

psp, haha, nice one, sure i pimp those three, and since they've been getting stead time, you can see a marked improvement in their play.

you...you pimp rogers...who in 5 years has done nothing but suck...hopefully it wasn't lost on you that the big gain on the winning drive was thrown against 'lost', who again, trotted out the, "nothing you can do about it" excuse....

there you go....spin away....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

I agree with the point, but you can't blame Zorn without implicating Vinny, and you can't blame Vinny without implicating Danny. Not that Zorn isn't a problem, but he's 3rd on the list.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Ryp, no he didn't come out and give them details about a given play.

But it's clear that the coaching staff (probably because they were told by the front office not to), didn't want some of the things to come out that Chris Cooley was talking about. Don't tell me he was unaware of Sherman Lewis' gag order. Don't make excuses for the man. He's outspoken to a fault, just like Clinton Portis.

I mean, did he really have to say that Sherman Lewis and Jason Campbell don't talk? Why isn't Sherman Lewis allowed to talk to the media?

Look, as I said. He didn't do anything wrong. So in the grand scheme, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to condemn the man. But to look at it from another angle, if it was Portis you all would be all over him like flies on s***.

Find it laughable how people are like: "Don't you dare compare Chris Cooley to Clinton Portis." Like Portis came to D.C. and 'Brandon Lloyd' the joint up.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:41 PM

BG why did you have to go there with 1footballguru. The dude obviously spent a lot of time thinking through the pros and cons of his offseason strategy; and all you can do is sh!t on it. Shame.

Anywho, any thoughts on throwing 2nd rounder to Steelers for Dennis Dixon? Young Qb locked in at 5th round pay rate, any takers?

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 1, 2009 3:32 PM

I know that excuses for Soup lovers are like A holes: everyone's got one. QB is the highest paid position in the NFL. Fact. W/ that comes most of the blame although other areas do factor into losses, of course. Sonny said 4-0 w/ Collins earlier in the season over the stretch where choker boy drove the team into the ditch for the 2nd year in a row. 36% winning for your boy.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

guru, I was AGREEING WITH YOU!!!!

Seriously, Rock and Ganther for APeterson=Championship

Thrash, Gardner's car, and Robert McCune for Jared Allen is more like it......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so we all agree Moss gets you a 3rd and Carter gets you a 3rd...Landry a second? I understand the complete disappointment and frustration with Landry's play this year, but he is definately higher than a 3rd. Question, Do you trade Moss and Carter while their stock is still realivly high and would you part with Landry?

Posted by: 1footballguru | December 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | December 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

That's quite an assumptive statement that we would all be all over CP.

I honestly read the Cooley piece and didn't think twice about it until i saw all the uproar it was causing here.

If there is a difference in opinion between CP and CC, its most likely because CP has EARNED it with various incidents over the years, not just this year, while CC has otherwise kept his nose clean.

It has nothing to do with race or anything else ridiculous like that, no matter how much people want to make it that.

If Cooley had said, my QB can't throw me the ball, Zorn is a genius, etcetc., people would be down on him too.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

OK,THE MAIN REASON WHY OUR DEFENSE IS MISSING TACKLES AND GIVING UP BIG PLAYS IS BECAUSE THE ARE NOT RUNNING/SWORMING TO THE BALL WHEN ITS IN MOTION,LOOK AT THE SAINTS LASTNIGHT,JUS SIGNED MCKENZIE FROM THE STREETS AND WAS MAKING BIG PLAYS,IF SOMEONE MISSES A TACKLE ON THEIR D,IT BARELY HURT THEM WHY?CAUSE EVERYONE IS RUNNING TO THE BALL LIKE A MAD DOG,SO A LESSON TO THE SKINS D IS,ATTACK THE BALL,I DONT GIVE A DAMN IF LL LAUNHES HIMSELF TRYING TO USE HIS BODY AS A WEAPON TO CAUSE A TURNOVER OR JUS LAY SOME LUMBER,THE FACT IS IF THEY ALL ATTACK THE BALL,MISSED TACKLES & YARDS GAINED AFTER CONTACT WOULDNT HURT THE TEAM SO MUCH,THE SAINTS DID IT AND THE SKINS MIGHT CAUSE AN UPSET ON SUNDAY IF EVERYONE PLAYS HARD AND SMART FOOTBALL,THIS IS A GAME ID LOVE TO OUR DB'S STAY BACK CAUSE BREES IS GONA THROW IT COVERAGE & WE JUS GOT TO MAKE PLAYS

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | December 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I got on here late, so I'm sure the MNF game was already discussed, but watching it last night the Saints reminded me of the '91 Redskins. Not just because they're 11-0, but the solid running game, the good D, and hitting the LONG BALL time after time, perfect throws.

Little Bill Belichick coached as if he were Zorn, passing up FGs, going for it on 4th & 4, and pulling the plug and conceding the game instead of playing 60 minutes. Yes, they were down 21 with 5:26 left, but when you have Tom Brady and Randy Moss and 2 timeouts, why give up? I doubt Peyton Manning comes out of the game if the Colts are down 21 with 5:26 to play and two timeouts.

I tend to think Little Bill was afraid if he didn't throw in the towel that the Saints would keep playing full throttle and score 52 on him. And Little Bill only likes it when he's on the giving end of such scores.

I still say he's a cheating punk.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Definitely agree that Zorn is problem #3 behind Vinny and Snyder.

Definitely get the feeling that Chris Cooley has become the new John Riggins.

Can't do no wrong/no harm.

Find it kind of f'd up that folks are trying to turn Portis into Micheal Westbrook or some other over paid scrub that's came through these parts.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"there you go....spin away...."

You really want me to?

You pimp three guys for having a 'marked improvement in play' (and by that I assume you mean their collective individual improvement to a massive 50-yard performance last week) for one of the worst offensive teams in football, and I pimped a 4 year starter for a perennial top 10 defense who was widely recognized as a top-level corner in 2008 (who admittedly has dropped in 2009).

Yet somehow, I still think that in your mind each one of those 3 has more value than Carlos Rogers. Hmm...

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Some of the comments that have been made in here in regards to Jim just blow me away. I can understand the frustration of losing games and questioning the coaching at times. That goes with the territory. But some of these other comments that are said about him are just stupid and misguided. All coming from people who have never met the man and know nothing about him other than what they have heard on sound bites or internet web sites. For what he has had to deal with this season he has handled himself with integrity. Which is no surprise to me at all. That is what he is all about. He deserves far better than what he has gotten from this sorry organization.

Posted by: afriendofzorn | December 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

have you ever heard one of zerns press confrences?its easy to peg him as a goof ball.i agree with riggo,ankle biters and mcdonalds is more his speed,not a pro football team.

Posted by: DLESMonday | December 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

realness, the only thing real about you is how really fuqqin stupid you are. to imply that choosing campbell over collins is reverse racist makes you a complete a-s-s-hole. the fact that you call campbell "soup" instead shows me that you're fighting the urge to call him the "N" word isn't it? the season collins made it to the playoff wasn't on him alone because campbell won 5 of those games to help get us there. and the fact that collins was an epic fail against the seahawks proves why he's a lifer at the back-up position. you just like the rest of the idiots that bash on campbell only look at the one person beside the center who touches the ball 100% of the time on offense. i'd question your football knowledge but you don't know shyt about football otherwise you'd be able to see that 22 men (offense AND defense) lose the game not 1 man. imbreds like you discover the technology of the internet and you start to realize that graduation is far after the 2nd grade and sleeping naked with your sister is WRONG!!!

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 2, 2009 5:07 AM | Report abuse