Cooley's injury may not be so serious

The injury to tight end Chris Cooley may not be as serious as the Redskins previously believed, according to a team source.

Cooley, who chipped a bone at the base of his tibia in the Redskins' Monday night loss to Philadelphia, is expected to have surgery as early as Wednesday. He will be re-evaluated afterward and the most optimistic estimate has him missing a month rather than the six-to-eight weeks Coach Jim Zorn said he expected earlier today.

According to a tweet by Cooley (@thecooleyzone): 3 pins go in the ankle tomorrow. Hopefully be back in 4 weeks. Thanks for all the support.

By Rick Maese  |  October 27, 2009; 5:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins plan to use bye week to heal
Next: Wednesday reading (and watching) list

Comments

Skinswest I said it in May.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 5:15 PM

So you did. Any other predictions you want to share? Powerball #'s and such.

Posted by: skinswest | October 27, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

You do have to feel a little bad for JC. See how badly he flinched when the Philly player encroached? Then he pointed at him like saying "Him see him. Stop him. It was him. Please don't let him hit me. Please."

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Wooo Hooo our season is saved. I predict playoffs now...

Posted by: Gweez | October 27, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait sorry, I thought it said we are getting a new coaching staff, O line, WR corp, RB, QB, Cover Corners and Safeties. My bad.

Posted by: Gweez | October 27, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Can we just hurry up and get to the dismantling of this team!!!! Please someone come along and take the control out of Snyderrato's hands!!! Gruden, Shanahan, Holmgren, Cohwer anybody!!! Just get the pen out of their hands!!!!

Posted by: cee_212002 | October 27, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are kaput but RI is going strong. 16 reporter posts in one day and there are still 6 hrs to go. Outstanding job guys! I think you are going to set a one day record.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Hello Fellow Die Hard Redskin fans. I am a die hard Redskins fan that now lives in San Diego. I am a season ticket holder and go to about 3 games at home each year. The team that has been put on the field is an absolute disgrace. This happens year after year. There is only one person at fault here. This man is Daniel Snyder. It is time that tell the world how we feel about this man. I have an idea of putting up a billboard in the Washington DC area. I have called a company and gotten it approved. I want the billboard to say “The only one who should be fired is you Dan Snyder.” This billboard costs at least $3000. I want to raise money to put this up. I need your help of ways to do this. Again this needed approval and it has gotten it. I just need to pay for this. Please help raise money. I need ideas of how to do this. Lets come together and SHOW Dan Snyder how we feel. Please email me your ideas. This needs to be done. Sg1123383@aol.com

“THE ONLY ONE WHO SHOULD BE FIRED IS YOU DAN SNYDER”

Posted by: sgininger | October 27, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

yes Vinny the roster was capable of going to the post season. Unless, someone got hurt, which happens every year to every team in every sport at every level.

I honestly think this roster and these coaches could succeed IF they had a GOOD O line.

We need 3-5 quality guys whether from the draft of FA.

Just want to say thank G we got hunter the punter that was CRUCIAL.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 27, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Can he play Left Tackle?

Posted by: tony325 | October 27, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Yo CC.."do not come back man " we aint got nuthin to play for...rest up.. take the whole dang season off...fight next year...you dont wanna hurt that thang again...don't worry about your back-up he aint pro-bowler like you...yo' job is safe bro...forget danny boy ..JUST DONT FORCE YO'SELF TO PLAY THIS YEAR !!!

Posted by: raffe002 | October 27, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Besides the obvious reason that our offense would go 3 and out why the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks do we keep deferring the ball to second half kick off?

Shouldn't we get our D all the rest they can?

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, people, it's a marathon, not a sprint... bye week after a Monday nighter means we have thirteen days and nights to fill with handwringing up here. Pacing, people, it's all about pacing...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

ignore the O line, but Make sure you get a FA punter that can't make it through a season...brilliant

Campbell is a warrior, love you man.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 27, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't we get our D all the rest they can?

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 6:10 PM |

Considering the unknown of the new play-caller set up I don't blame them for that decision at all.

Posted by: skinswest | October 27, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

“THE ONLY ONE WHO SHOULD BE FIRED IS YOU DAN SNYDER”

Posted by: Snininger

Love your passion man, but Snyder is NOT the only one who should be fired.

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Dear Vinny,
Which rosterman is capable of going to the playoffs? Let's make a list, shall we, hmmm?
GM, uh, no, we have no GM
HC, uh, no, we have a partial HC
QB, uh, no, you tried twice to dump him.
O-line, uh, no, they're the NFL's oldest .
WR, uh, well, maybe the little one but not the young guns.
RB, uh, no, not with a 2.0 YPC average.
D-line, uh, no 1 freelancer, 1 rook, several bit players
LBs, uh, no 'cept maybe MLB
DBs, uh, no they don't tackle
P K, uh, no they're run of the mill.
Owner, uh, no he's just a strap sniffer.

Posted by: MrChili | October 27, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

JC is not in the game... You can see it on the field and especially on the sidelines as he looks off vacantly in a daze, and not studying Defensive formations from the previous series...
Sad... Skins have wasted the last two years of a top ranked Defense, waiting for JC to become a true starting NFL QB (and how to hold onto the ball).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 5:44 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 27, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

good one nate.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 27, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

For the foreseeable futuree this is the only Skins story I care remotely about. Danny needs to be put in his place and we (season ticket holders) are the logical ones to do it. Walkout during the game, boycott the game, whatever. We must do something. The story pasted below has me more upset with the Redskins than I have been my entire life. Nothing comes even remotely close. If you guys haven't seen this, then you're not going to believe it. There are many more experiences last night just like this one.

"At half time, I went down to the concessions area to get a beer and a dog. Of course, the crowd was once again getting restless at the lack of productivity we were seeing on the field. Standing two rows away from me in line, were two middle aged men. One wore a T-shirt that read "Fire Snyder", the other's said "Fire Vinny". It wasn't long after standing there that the men were surrounded by close to a dozen people wearing yellow security jackets. The conversation between them and the two men escalated quickly as security asked the men to remove their shirts. Of course the men refused, and one stated that he had been a season ticket holder for 26 years. The conversation continued to get heated and before you knew it 6 or 7 armed security officers formed a circle around the layer of yellowed jacketed security officers. "Sir, you're about to lose those season tickets if you don't take off that shirt" is what he was told. I don't know what got into me but I had seen enough and had to speak up. This was beyond absurd! I cut across a crowd of people, entering the circle of security.... I said " these guys should be able to wear whatever they want! What the hell is going on? What the hell is this? Communist Russia??? ". I was quickly greeted with a stern warning to not interfere and a shove in the chest that sent me back a few feet. A few minutes later, the men were escorted out of the area and a security woman approached me with an explanation about their actions. "Look, I know what you're saying, and I can't say that I don't agree with you, but I'm a part-time teacher and this job is my Holiday money"...."upper management told us to come up here and ask these men to remove their shirts and I can't lose my job, so I'm doing it."

I decided then and there that I would NEVER again set foot in Fed Ex Stadium as long as Dan Snyder was the owner. The way I saw people being treated for voicing their opinions on this night embarrassed me as a Redskin fan, a Washingtonian, and as an American. These sort of totalitarian strong arm tactics are downright shameful and I needed to let others know about it. I hope you share this story with your audience.

A deeply embarrassed Redskins fan

Posted by: CedarR | October 27, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse"

Posted by: croftonpost | October 27, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Can he play Left Tackle?

Posted by: tony325

Yes but only on Tackle-Eligile plays.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 27, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Mindy Cerrato.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

oops thats eligible

Posted by: Predator48 | October 27, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

i wish cooley would just go on IR. we dont need him to rush back from an injury to give us stats in a useless year. lets use this as an opportunity to develop Fred Davis.

Also, lets start Rinehart in place of Montgomery. what's the worst that can happen? he might suck now, but he can only get better, right?

Posted by: kman2 | October 27, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Let the guy sit and rehab for the remainder of the year!!!!

What's the point? Are we still hyping the playoff push. Can we scratch this season and let the young guys play? Dang!

Posted by: oknow1 | October 27, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to officially get the bandwagon rolling to replace Mindy Cerratto with a new GM. I nominate Mr Poppy McPoop for new Redskins GM. He/She/It might not be the best available candidate, but he/she/it will be a great improvement over the incumbent.

...Who's with me?

HAIL!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 27, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

...so we're in the pre-season for 2010 aren't we. It's okay, I thought so, anyway. No really, I'll be fine.

*jaw slackens, eyes glaze over*

(audible humming sound)

*drool*

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 27, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

While it's pretty obvious Zorn is not head coach or OC material, maybe -- given JC's performances -- he's not even a very good QB coach.

Posted by: Xlnt | October 27, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Guy with billboard (or elaborate internet scam): Your copy stinks. Come up with something better if you're going to spend that money.

Posted by: mack1 | October 27, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have been mediocre for many years now. While many have said: "Blow it up and start over." I've hoped for the best.

What we've been witnessing is the actual implosion of the entire organization.

No explosives required.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 27, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Xlnt

....... or maybe JC isn't the best student?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 27, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS HIRE GM AND GET A REBATE

Dateline: Washington, D.C.

According to unnamed sources within the Washington Redskins, Daniel "Lil Napoleon" Snyder has purchased GM for an undisclosed amount and will be getting a rebate as well!

"I'm thrilled to have added more mediocrity to my empire!" noted an estatic Snyder. "All this while the fans were yelling 'Sell! Sell! Sell! and I wasn't sure what they were asking for. Come to find out the fans were talking to GM and I got a great deal plus free lifetime lube jobs."

According to the same source, Vincent "Lil Pussy" Cerrato will be getting a Chevrolet Aveo as a company car while Snyder will arrive in a bright Red Corvette (you don't have to step up into it). Players will be given options to purchase vehicles at reduced rates and fans will get employee pricing - plus - if you are more than one payment behind, your car will be repossessed and you'll be SUED for the balance!

In other Redskin news...

Chris Cooley will only take four weeks to recover from a bone chip in his ankle and it is true that he'll have the chip made into a piece to hang from a gold necklace.

Clinton Portis has now asked to play only in odd numbered quarters and wants to have the others to break bread with Snyder and to consume some Mad Dog 20/20.

Tight Ends were auditioned today and Daniel Snyder still fell out unsatisfied.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 27, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand how so many can give analyses of Zorn, Campbell, et al??

They play for the snydSkins, it isn't exactly a place that's conducive to success!

Seriously people how can you possibly tell if anyone on this offense is capable of winning, no line no O!!!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 27, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Cooley-aid. Just what the Skins need. Heh, heh.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Campbell has middle of the pack stats, with a terrible O line, terrible WR Corp, no change of pace RB, and no coaching or system continuity.

That he even survived last season and has survived this one so far is amazing!

He has a 66% comp rate, give the guy an O line d amn it!

Or repeat the same cycle of the last 10 years, new coach, new system, new FAs, new failure!!!!

Oh yeah and, byaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 27, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone looked at the schedule recently? I see two potential wins, Atlanta and Oakland.

And honestly, those two will be a crap shoot.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 27, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

According to the MNF broadcast last night, of all the teams in the NFL, the one that faces teams with the highest combined winning % right now is the Washington Redskins.

The combined winning % of our next 9 opponents right now? .667!

Yikes....we'll be lucky to get to 5 wins.

It'd be nice if the NFL trade deadline wasn't so early in the year. I'd trade Carlos Rogers for a bag of garbage.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 27, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

That he even survived last season and has survived this one so far is amazing!

He has a 66% comp rate, give the guy an O line d amn it!

Oh yeah and, byaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by: pabrian2003

... seriously dude, another stat geek? He stinks and isn't the answer at QB. Get over it. He had many pass plays where he had 5+ seconds to deliver the ball and he always checked down. the expert football minds show this on tape. He can't do it and 5 friggin years is enough.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 27, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

The last paragraph is about the Skins.

Dockett compares Bradshaw to Glass Joe
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 27, 2009 5:15 PM ET
While Larry Johnson shows other NFL players how not to use Twitter, Arizona defensive tackle Darnell Dockett continues to entertain. Dockett's musings often approach the line without going over it.

This week, one of Dockett's targets was Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw, who punched Dockett in the fourth quarter of New York's loss to Arizona.

"OH before I forget shoutout to bradshaw that week ass punch," Dockett wrote. "That s*** felt like a scoobey snack. Glass joe on mike tyson hit harder than U." (Would that make Dockett Soda Popinski?)

Dockett doesn't pull any punches on Twitter. While watching Monday Night Football, a follower asked Dockett what he would do if he was on the Redskins. "I'd jump out my car during traffic HEAD 1ST!" Dockett joked that if Jason Campbell was his quarterback, he'd knock him out in practice.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 27, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 27, 2009 6:10 PM |

Hey, tell that to RI. I guess they have called it a day, but what a day it has been! 15 reporter posts!

Maese - 6 1/2 posts
Reid - 2 1/2
Svrluga - 2
Berman - 2
Boron - 1
Tenorio - 1

Rick Maese - dude, you must be exhausted. Danno must be pleased as punch that RI has his team covered like a tribute band. And JLC must be wondering how you did it. He felt like a sweat hog when he filed 3 reports a day.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's an insecure little prick and this just proves it:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 8:19 PM

scamp--Does that make you an insecure little prick for the way that you go after people you disagree with up here? I mean any dude who shows up with an anti-scamp sign pays the price. ;)

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

He told security to crack down and hired extra security to bully fans?

What a total f-knob!!!!!!!!

OMG. And Vinny, and his self preservationist spin. I can not, for the life of me, understand why anyone would go through the ordeal of fedex field given what's going on right now.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 27, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

League-Source,

I'm not sure if you are defending him but if you are defending Snyder then click on the link, read the sign, and you have my sentiment towards you.

Posted by: croftonpost | October 27, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

It's been a swell ten years Dan. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 27, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I think Campbell can be a great QB for the NFL. He just needs some daily sessions with a sports psychologist. When he's mentally secure, he plays really well. When he's scared in any way, he plays terrible. So make him secure in his ability despite the crap around him and he plays well, or at least progresses over a few games to where he was during the 6-2 run from last season.

I also believed in the beginning of the season with decent coaching we would have been fighting for a wildcard spot. We would not have sustained success year in, and year out until we completely redid the OL, but I think we could have fought for one (and most likely lost, especially considering the OL injuries were expected, but not this early).

People say the offense was putrid last night. I'd say yes and no in that we saw the youngins get involved and the offense get 2 touchdowns, which for this offense if Freaking amazing. Sucks that this is the standard we have set, but it was quite decent comparatively. If Campbell doesn't play scared, we have a real shot of winning this game. What a concept.

As far as Vinny's comment about the value of Oher vs. the 13th pick. I can almost buy that except that's when you move down five or seven spots and grab him. He moved down like crazy in the draft before, so he could have done so again, especially considering Orakpo was a steal at 13. If you're going to get AH, then Orak can wait two seasons (i.e. get his equivalent in 1 or 2 years, not this draft).

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 27, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Just a flesh wound, eh? Not dead yet!

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 27, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 27, 2009 9:11 PM |

Divine intervention might help also.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

My Most pressing needs in the offseason:

1. LT
2. RG
3. QB
4. C
5. RB
6. RT
7. CB
8. LG
9. S

Before last night I would have put RT at #2, but BMW was handling his business as far as I could tell. He might have been a real find.

I'm really curious to see if they'll draft a QB high and ignore the OLine (which I have to imagine is unthinkable now, even for Dan and Vinny), or try to bring in a re-tread Free Agent, or try and give Colt a shot. I mean, they HAVE to draft a Tackle first, right? I mean, zero choice. ZERO. What is Vinny talking about when he says "it's too early to tell" if O-Line will be a priority in the off-season? Dude, I think its pretty unfrigginfathomable that ANY aspect of this sucky team could possibly overtake the O-Line as the most pressing need area. I mean could possibly happen to change that dynamic?

And I'm really-really disappointed I'm thinking about this in October.

Posted by: brianearman | October 27, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Where was all that security last season when the fight broke out and the two drunken combatants fell onto an old couple sitting across from us, injuring the old man?

Were they checking the approved t-shirt message list?

Where was all that security two seasons ago when the drunken Dallas fan stood up DURING THE GAME, turned around, and was urinating all over the seats??

Were they out looking for objectionable wardrobe?

Notice that fewer and fewer people are taking their kids to games, Danny? Now you know why...

Even more reason that Snyder deserves all the embarrassment he is currently being subjected to and more.

Were I those guys in the t-shirts I'd have called my lawyer (she's on speed dial...because you NEVER know), and asked them to absolve me of my seat contract in writing, on the spot, or shut the hell up about me "losing my tickets".

Then I would text or twitter the story to the news...because Danny boy understand from bad press.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 27, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 27, 2009 9:11 PM

What makes you think that he's not already getting two-a-days with a sports psychologist?

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

NOTHING SHORT OF CERRATO'S HEAD! NOTHING!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 27, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

i'm contemplating wendy's run....i'm soooooooooooooooo fing hungry #1 with cheese please!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 27, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 8:44 PM |

See, your analogy doesn't really fit. I go after people for 2 reasons, 1) making statements that have no basis in fact. IE. making sh!t up. 2) If attacked I respond in kind, I don't take away your blog pass and send you to the parking lot.
Got it?
I didn't think so...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Why Snidely (Daniel Snyder) the Sneering Owl is the TRUE ENEMY and NOT Cerrato!!

Posted by: periculum | October 27, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Who has multiple picks that you can make that trade with? Most importantly, who has these mythical picks next year?

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I decided a few years ago to not go back to Fed Ex. The traffic situation has not improved in a decade. The idea that many of you are paying hundreds of dollars and are being told that you can't wear whatever message you want to is appalling. It starts with stadium revenues - don't go, and if you do, don't buy concessions of any sort. And carpool to cut down on parking fees if you can't metro. Why anyone would buy a jersey at this point (b/c, lets face it, no jersey will ever look as good as that ratty DG#28 jersey from the 80s) is beyond me.

Can someone tell me how to get off the season ticket waiting list? You're voice is your wallet. Now if I could only empower myself by refusing to watch the games.

Danny will sell for the right price. The estimated value of $1.4B is for suckers. The franchise is certainly no longer worth that. YES WE CAN make the sales prrice even lower by not going to games and not spending on Redskins paraphenelia,

If you must go, then before the game starts, at every opportunity (other than during the National Anthem) chant loudly together "Danny Sucks." The games are going to suck and do not delude yourselves into thinking its going to get better. But if they can hear it on TV, they will be forced to address it - ok not Gruden the overrated who is clearly considering accepting the job.

Yes we can. Yes we can. And the fact that we can is why Danny is choosing to crackdown. If he did not feel threatened he would not react in such a fashion. He is already losing money on 6 flags, we need to significantly reduce his cash flow from the skins. Yes we can. Do not spend money on the team, and if you must go to the games, make sure your voice is heard.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 27, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 27, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Part II - Wasn't Danny's wife named spokesperson for some charity or cause?

Make sure you contact them and let them know why you will not be giving them anything. When a wife starts feeling it, she can make a husband pretty miserable. Again, the crappiness of the team is not the issue - even saint jkc had crap years with Gibbs. It is the treatment of the fans. Make sure you mention that. Of course, danny just might sue you for it.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

My Most pressing needs in the offseason:

1. LT
2. RG
3. QB
4. C
5. RB
6. RT
7. CB
8. LG
9. S

And I'm really-really disappointed I'm thinking about this in October.

Posted by: brianearman
______________

OK yeah but....

[1] I'd put QB before RG

[2] I'd put OLB (SS), which isn't on your list, before LG.

[3] With what should be very high 1st and 2nd round picks, and what appears to be loads of QB talent coming out of college (as many as 5-6 in round one) vs. OT talent (I'm no expert, I'm basing it on several mock drafts I've seen), I really wouldn't have a problem picking a QB one and OT two, we could get much better value that way.

For me, if we can ALSO get two very good OL guys via either draft (in 2nd round or below) and/or FA, then I prefer we go for the best QB we can get in round 1. And by best, I don't mean as determined by Vinny/Danny, but by actual personnel experts.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 27, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that message on shirts incident a free speech issue?

Unless Raljon has become some sort of Duchy or other sovereign realm, your 'free speech' issue involves the gummint telling you what to/not to say.

It's just bad business, not a 1st amendment violation.

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

When a wife starts feeling it, she can make a husband pretty miserable.

Most of us Up Here know that, but when Hugh G Rection tells you, you know it's the truth.

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

JC 17 is just terrible. You may remember that I was a BIG advocate that he be given the chance to make the next step this year, but I have to say the only steps he is taking are out the door.

I know Todd is not the franchise type, but I really do think he gives us a better chance to win at this point. When a QB starts lowering his eyes to look at the rush - he's done. And Jason is done. It's the throws he doesn't make that kill me - like checking off of Moss on a pump-and-go for a sure TD that kill me.

I wish him the best wherever he ends up next year, but as of now, I don't see much of a point in playing him.

I know Todd is not mobile, but his pre-read experience, blitz recognition and ability to spread the ball around to more receivers I think out-weighs any mobility issues.

And for those who point out last weeks second half as proof he shouldn't play, I offer this weeks entire game as proof that we should make the change, give him two weeks with the starting O and try him again.

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

For what purpose?

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

We could have bill walsh and joe Montana and we would still suck because of Danny and Vinny

You can blame Campbell that is EXACTLY what snydrrato wants a scapegoat.

Play into their hands and watch the same stuff happen all over again.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 27, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

If these stories of fans being removed from the stadium for wearing anti-Snyderatto shirts or displaying the same on a sheet are true, I am truly outraged on so many levels.

1. I believe it is illegal and a violation of their rights to take such action. Are the fans also not allowed to boo? Freedom of speech is freedom of speech.

2. It demonstrates how incredibly small a person he is - and I am not making fun of his absence of height.

3. It serves as a perfect illustration for how much contempt he has for the fans of his team. This, coupled with the law suites and other indignities is just galling.

Why should this be tolerated?

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

For what Purpose? Dagger, you're kidding right?

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

All right peeps, I've been searching high and low to find a way to contact Danny Snyder with little success but...

A flood of letters to this address or faxes and phone calls to these numbers has to catch someone's attention:

21300 Redskin Park Drive

Ashburn, VA 20147

United States
Phone:
703-726-7000

Fax:
703-726-7172

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, you continue to amaze me with some of the most laughably stupid posts on this blog. You are a model of consistency.

Aren't you going to quote me some stupid stat about JC's completion percentage or something? What's the stat for blown reads? What is the stat for not pre-reading the blitz and getting sacked because you are just not good at recognizing blitzes? Here's a stat for you: 2-4. Here's another: 12 points per game average against the worst teams in the nfl (take out NY and Philly and do the math)

I don't excuse Danny and Vinny, nor do I say that all of the teams problems are JC's fault. I just said he sucks-out-loud, did not respond to being benched as we had hoped, doesn't get the ball to the right (down field and open) receiver and needs to be replaced.

I'm trying to make a suggestion that could actually help us win a few games. Are you advocating we should throw the rest of the season?

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Did the Mayor ever post any details of Levi Jones' contract? I'm keenly interested in whether it's more than one year, and if so, how it's structured...

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that message on shirts incident a free speech issue?

It's just bad business, not a 1st amendment violation.

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 10:26 PM

Yeah but, and someone else raised this issue, if local PG County cops are supporting the actions of the security personnel, then...the cops are the law enforcement arm of the local government...they are providing the backup for enforcement of censorship...I understand Snyder owns the whole place himself and can make any rule he wants, but does he get to use public officers to support enforcement of all his various rules, including ones involving censorship?

Posted by: hithere1 | October 27, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry pabrian - that was pretty mean spirited. I know you are a fan.

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:04 PM

Throw the season? We would only be "throwing" the season if we could realistically expect to win another game. We got a shot at the Raiders...that's it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Having JC see a sports psychologist would involve intelligence on the part of a decision-maker, something that obviously isn't present. Therefore we can (most likely rightly) assume that it isn't being done.

I'm curious though - why would you pick QB with your first pick in 2010 if you think JC is really that bad? If he really is, then you will have a top 10 if not top 5 pick anyways in 2011. How is that too bad to get a top QB prospect? Also if you go this route (LT w/ 2010 1st round pick, QB in 2011 1st round), the new QB can develop under a decent OL. What a concept (shocked voice). Can you say Ryan, Flacco, and Sanchez situations anyone?

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 27, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

... if local PG County cops are supporting the actions...

I don't read that real cops were involved, just event security. Even if the real cops wandered over, their defense would be that the event security was authorized to eject you (probably printed on the ticket, right?), and they're just helping keep the peace -- not making a decision about who can/can't wear something.
Try to argue with a bouncer next time you're at the bar, and see if the cops don't get involved if it gets heated enough. You will be charged with 'drunk in public', and your defense that "I was drunk in the bar; they threw me into public" won't be enough to get you off.

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

"Well, Herm Edwards aside, sometimes you may not play the game to win. At least, that doesn't appear to be our objective."

If you are talking about throwing in the towel, isn't it a bit early for that? We've only lost 4 games so far (yeah, I know. It's been ugly) I'm pretty sure St Joe would fight on. I think we look like a bunch of quitters if we don't. Try to live that down the next couple of years.

I understand the lure of a top draft pick, but a lot can happen.

There's always time to quite later! (how's that for "words to live by"?)

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:18 PM |

So what are you suggesting?

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere1 | October 27, 2009 11:08 PM

Yes and no.

The PG police officers aren't enforcing Danny's censorship. They're enforcing the fact that Danny wants unwelcome people removed from his property, for whatever the reason.

If someone's at your house, and you want them to leave, and they won't, and you call the police, the police will come and tell the person to leave and arrest them if they won't. (I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but they don't apply here.)

I'm not defending Danny's actions in the least. They show what a petty, thin-skinned egomaniac he is. But nothing illegal or unconstitutional transpired.

Now, is it a horrible business practice that's going to come back and bite him hard in the a$$? Oh yeah.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

throw a season for what? so you can get a shot at the top pick??

if they happend to get the top pick, they had better trade down and pile up more picks.

Posted by: joek443 | October 27, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

For what Purpose? Dagger, you're kidding right?

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

saddly, i think daggar is right. this train wreck has to happen. not only that, it NEEDS to happen. and it NEEDS to be long and painful (minus the previous 9 years). nothing else will drive the fans to the neccesary revolt to open lil danny's eyes.

-don't let 'em show their signs of protest

-don't let 'em be heard booing, just crank the music higher and force the band to play while the players run into the locker room at the half

-don't let 'em start chants against the team

-don't show the out of town scores, make 'em buy my kangaroo tv

-don't let 'em walk to my stadium for free

-don't let 'em try to get out of a contract they can no longer afford

-don't let 'em voice oppinions against us, let's call 'em haters

-don't let 'em complain about all the extra seats created that are completely obstructed

-don't let 'em listen to unfiltered media, buy 'em out first

-don't even bother addressing 'em, they're obviously beneath me

why we don't do some sort of walkout during nationaly televised games blows my mind. national statements need to be made. how about a picket at redskins park? or better yet, in front of fedex on gameday.

this is dc right? the land of protests and marches?

all of this is beyond insulting to a great fan base.

DAN SNYDER, GET YOUR G## D@#MN FOOT OFF OF MY TEAMS THROAT!!!!! WE have made this franchise one of the most valuable in sports. NOT YOU!

Posted by: cancunlizzard | October 27, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Your maths is bad.
Or you are in denial, where I would like to join you.

I don't think we will give up per se, but we are pretty much defenseless against quality teams. JZ --> JC simply hasn't worked, and Sherm --> JC didn't show any light-bulb moments.

The book on the skins is now pretty easy -- put pressure on JC, lots of blitzes, that will typically plug up the run, and JC will get those Reche Caldwell eyes, and you can take the second half off.

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

So what are you suggesting?

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:29 PM |

I believe that should be pretty clear if you read the post at 11:04 PM. Get heard where it matters.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

saddly, i think daggar is right.

That's a typo -- it should be 'naturally...'

Posted by: daggar | October 27, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

21300 Redskin Park Drive

Ashburn, VA 20147

United States
Phone:
703-726-7000

Fax:
703-726-7172

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cancunlizzard | October 27, 2009 11:34 PM |

What he said.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 27, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:18 PM |
_________________

Yep, fully agree. So if by dumb luck we have a chance of beating anyone - and if anyone, that'd likely be Oakland or mayyyybe Atlanta - we should sandbag it to get higher picks (esp with several teams still winless right now, we'd only be picking 7th or something at this point). This season's already over, zero chance of playoffs.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 27, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm mad at Danny and his lap dog too, and I can't put up a very good argument to Cancun, Scamp and the rest because I share a lot of the same feelings.

I just can't condone quiting.

It disrespects guys like Samuels, Cooley and London Fletcher - who is paying his @ss off at what may be his last shot at a Pro Bowl.

It sets a terrible example to guys like Orakpo, Jarmen, and some of our other young prospects that it is ok to quit if you're pretty sure you can't win. Leadership and players of character are not born of such thinking.

Draft spot be D@MNED! Learning how to win starts now, during the tough times. We all look for those intangibles in the players we want to keep. Building by example, even if it is inconvenient for our draft position next year, is also an important investment in this teams future.

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying quit edvar, I was just making the insinuation that we wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they did.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 27, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 27, 2009 11:49 PM |
-------------------------------

Agreed.

I don't WANT them to go 2-14, but I think they very well MIGHT go 2-14, simply because the coaching, QBing and O-line is that bad.

Unless our defense can start scoring 2 TDs per game, I don't see how the Redskins win another game this season (except maybe the Raiders).

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

i agree totally. i'm speaking to the fans. F danny, and show it! quite frankly, i don't think we're pissed off enough!

i was at the game and had two stoopid drunk guys in front of me. they were literally foaming and spitting as they yelled after one silly turnover. i didn't see the need to act like that and was just as sucked into the prime time atmosphere as 90% of everyone else there.

part of me realized then though- there were dozens of people looking at them smiling and noding in silent applause as the started their own 2 man "sell the team chant".

the approval shouldn't have been silent!

we claim to be such rabid fans.....

i live in the philly region. huge skins fan from the age of 8. understand, this would not happen there. i know how they can take things too far in philly, but we have simply not done enough as fans of this team!

Posted by: cancunlizzard | October 28, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I just can't condone quiting.

------------------------------------------

the approval shouldn't have been silent!

we claim to be such rabid fans.....

Posted by: cancunlizzard | October 28, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Nobody on a team this bad should be invited to participate in the celebration of excellence that is the Pro Bowl. Nobody. That said, the twin jokes of player voting and fan voting virtually guarantee that one or more Redskins will be invited to the big stupid party. Whoop dee frickin' doo.

The only mystery left this season is how Snyder will top the two things that I would have characterized as unthinkable before they were reported: suing some of the team's season ticket holders who were no longer able to afford those tickets, and actively preventing people from expressing their feelings in the stadium with paper bags, shirts and signs. I have a feeling he has something left up his sleeve; somehow he will outdo his already stunning efforts to alienate the team's fan base. I got my popcorn ready...

Hey, Dan Snyder, news flash: just because you can do something legally doesn't mean you should do it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 28, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Cool, sounds like we are pretty much in agreement here.

When we are eliminated from the playoffs, I can see starting the rookies and trying some guys to see if they might pan out. (you've probably seen my posts about raiding the practice squads of the Chargers and 49ers to grab their OT's...) We just have to be careful about the message we are sending to our younger players, or we might poison the well.

And we should stick it to Danny and the Vinster along the way. Give it a twist for me if you think about it.

Posted by: edvar | October 28, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

"Nobody on a team this bad should be invited to participate in the celebration of excellence that is the Pro Bowl. Nobody."

That's just wrong PDX.

A guy like Fletcher finally being recognized during a season like this would send an important message to the younger players that you still have to leave it all on the field each game - even if the guy next to you isn't and the team ain't winning.

C'mon man.

Posted by: edvar | October 28, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

...suing some of the team's season ticket holders who were no longer able to afford those tickets

Yeah, but Nate, they only sued people who were Club Level ticket holders.

Not General Admission ticket holders.

Because, you know, that's different and stuff.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 28, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Cool, sounds like we are pretty much in agreement here.

Posted by: edvar | October 28, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------

i don't know enough about those guys to say yes or no to them. that said, this is why waiting until seasons end isn't as great as some say. even if it wasn't "the guy" that was brought in, maybe a replacement could find some other talent somewhere.

vinny can't do it. if you make the change now, maybe someone else is as creative as your idea is.

there is better talent out there available than what we have at certain positions.

Posted by: cancunlizzard | October 28, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm all for canning my cousin Vinny tomorrow morning at 9:00. Of course, until Napoleon (NOW, I'm making fun of his height...) has a change of heart and backs out of football operations, I worry we will still struggle.

That's where I thought a scenario like Gibbs or Dungy coming in as president - and then hiring the GM who hires the coach, might work. The president sits on Danny, and the GM and Coach do their jobs.

Posted by: edvar | October 28, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Big day tomorrow. I'm out.

Posted by: edvar | October 28, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

edvar, the fact that Fletch has not yet been invited to a Pro Bowl is ridiculous, and it's example #3,147 of how stupid Pro Bowl selection is.

BUT, setting aside what Fletch "deserves" by way of league-wide recognition, if you think he's going to break through this year, playing for this team, I think you're nuts.

And I don't want any of our younger players to think that individual accolade -- especially those dispensed by such an absurd, capricious process as Pro Bowl spots -- have any meaning when you play on a bad team. I have this fantasy that our players should be accountable to their coaches and teammates first and foremost, that their individual goals should always be secondary to the team's goals.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 28, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

So now I'm having fun with ideas for signs that could be smuggled into FedEx:

Help me, David Donovan! This sign keeps poking me in the head!

---

Skins Fans = Nature

Snyder = Vacuum

---

You CAN spell 'Tranny Crevice' w/o V-I-N-N-Y C-E-R-R-A-T-O

But just barely.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 28, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

I have had a chip fracture. And while it is better than a ligament tear, it is NOT a four week injury. Here is my estimate -- granted I was not putting the kind of stress on my limb afterward that an NFL tight end puts on his limbs -- it's a minimum of seven weeks. Four weeks in a cast or walking boot, and another three to build up to running. The first two weeks out of the cast, any change of direction or slight roll of the ankle caused a great deal of discomfort. Maybe the surgery trims a week or two on the recovery, but I don't see anyone being able to run at speed and plant and cut on that ankle in four. No chance. So they can hold the roster spot open for the next seven weeks, in order to get him back for two (already) meaningless games in December, but it wouldn't be my choice.

Posted by: tkoho | October 28, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Let's see here...Cooley's hurt but might still come back, Skins use bye week to heal, Fred Davis gets to earn his check for a change, Vinny is delusional...nope, no news here.

Wake me when Vinny and Zorn are fired.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Post Staff Meeting

Editor: Okay everyone, let's outline our article for tomorrow's issue; Mike, what you got?

Mike: I thought I'd do a story on how some of the players are bonding together to stay positive about the team.

Editor: That could work; if you could spin it to how the players are bonding to cope with their displeasure with Snyder. Sally, what are you working on.

Sally: I'm writing a story on Cooley and some of his colorful antics.

Editor: Damnit Sally, what in the hell does that have to do with Snyder and Vinny. Get on the program. Michael...

Michael: Hey man, I'm with you, I'll just continue to be outraged at any move the Skins front office makes.

Thomas: Listen, has anyone here considered that we may be over doing this thing and the readers may start to turn against us.

Editor: Tommy, what the living hell are you talking about. The fans love this stuff, they don't want to even imagine that their players are letting the fans down...just get on the program here or you find yourself writing for some podunk West Virginia weekly newspaper! Just look at the idiot fans post on Jason's blog. They're sucking this stuff up; right Jason.

Jason: Hey, I just got here, leave me out of the politics; you're the boss, if you want it; I'll write it.

Posted by: elderdave1 | October 28, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Anyone notice that Vinny "The Gerbil" Cerrato" looks a lot like Doug "Greaseman"
Tracht's twin brother. Maybe they are the same person which would help explain the delusions.

I have been a Redskin fan for 45 years. The only hope is Mrs Snyder catches Danny, Vinny and CP naked in a conga line.

Posted by: vaherder | October 28, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

The only hope is Mrs Snyder catches Danny, Vinny and CP naked in a conga line.

Posted by: vaherder | October 28, 2009 6:40 AM

If she does, she'll find you in the middle of it.

Posted by: League-Source | October 28, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

I have nothing positive to say about the present state of the Washington Redskins.

But I do have this to say:

GO YANKS!!!

I see a great World Series featuring two extremely even and well managed teams.

Yes, I know: nothing ever happens in baseball.

But from where I sit, nothing is happening with the redskins either.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

"The only hope is Mrs Snyder catches Danny, Vinny and CP naked in a conga line."

I guess her only question will be, "Which one of you is the tight end?"

"Cuz from what I know, y'all are all excellent wide receivers."

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan

I think so, and if I am one of those fans, I would do it. Here's the thing, though. It's a story posted on a blog by a writer - no offense - who may be telling the truth or who may be trying to stir things up. Who knows? If something like this did happen, I know I would be doing more than posting on a blog.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

we should sandbag it to get higher picks
Posted by: chasgiffen

You've obviously never played sports..no athlete thinks like this..they work too hard to tank the season on purpose...this type of thinking goes against every competitive bone in their body...those who consider sandbagging the season would never make an NFL team...you should never show this side of you..the wolves will pounce!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 28, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey League Source,

First before you post wipe the sperm cocktail off your chin. Yeah the one you got from Vinny.

Sorry I wasn't in that conga line punk I was busy showing your wifey what a great cunning linquist I am. Sorry I don't swing that way but your wifey said you do.

Now little girl do you have anything you want to say to me in person. Your wifey
will be in suite 2405 at the Tyson's Ritz
Saturday night. Why not stop by so we can discuss! I know you will be trick or treating as Vinny's and Danny Boy's trick!

Posted by: vaherder | October 28, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

No such thing as free speech on private property, and they have the right to use cops to prohibit it. Thank the right wing for that one.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 28, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

"...we should sandbag it to get higher picks..."

NBA teams do it all the time.

But you do something like this if the guys doing the draft picking are certain about what they are doing.

And the redskins can't say that.

You really have to hope that Vinny Cerrato and his delusions are put in check, and Snyder hires some real football people.

I'd take some people from the ravens, iggles, jints, falcons, stillers, saints, pats, and colts FO offices in a heartbeat.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I keep reading people posting about trying to get a boycott of games as mentioned above.."walking out after the game starts"

I am a season ticket holder myself...Last time I checked...The Danny already has been paid by everyone in the stadium....so what good is that going to do by walking out? It's not hitting his wallet so what's the point? He has already banked the money for every seats for every single game and that includes preseason.

Nice thought though.

Posted by: leevi98 | October 28, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"Isn't that message on shirts incident a free speech issue? The Redskin's could be sued by those fans, no?"

So you can come to the game dressed like a woman with a Hog mask on your face or don an indian chief get-up, but you can't hold a sign up that sends a 'shout out' about what you think about the product on the field?

The comedy and drama from this team continues to amaze.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey League Source,

will be in suite 2405 at the Tyson's Ritz

Posted by: vaherder | October 28, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Did you realize you just made a threat in a public forum that is punishable by the the law?

Posted by: leevi98 | October 28, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

The comedy and drama from this team continues to amaze.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Fed ex has never allowed signs into the stadium. It has nothing to do with the present situation....They have not allowed signs since the 1997....The reason is due to people holding up signs the whole game blocking the view of people sitting behind them. the7y used to allow signs in RFK and and at first in fedex...But they got so many complaints and fights breaking out over blocked views...they banned them....and I agree with that. As a season ticket holder...i'd be pretty upset if some jacka$$ held a sign up in front of me and I could not watch the freakin game!

Posted by: leevi98 | October 28, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

alex35332,
I'd take it to court very publicly anyway and I would name Federal Express as one of the accused. Who cares if it can be pursued just as long as it is made as public and as smelly as possible. Attacking the sponsors and the public image of the team would hit a marketing guru like Danny right where he lives.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | October 28, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"Who cares if Cooley comes back or not? Fred Davis can do the job. Cooley seemed to be more interested in showing off his new hair color anyway."

I'm sorry, but I beg to disagree.

If Sherm Lewis remains on board, I'm quite sure his off-season scheme work will entail coming up with formations where Davis is 'flexed' a la Witten/Clark while Cooley plays h-back/tight end.

Davis and Cooley can be two very good weapons as their abilities--if used right--can create match up headaches for teams who want to commit a safety to run support.

If anything, the lack of playing time for the obviously gifted player Davis speaks to the failures of Zorn.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 27, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

See that's called planing for the future. we don't do that around here. We just slap band aids on in the offseason. We can't think 2-3 years down the road. We'd rather go 8-8 every year instead of 2-14 for 2 years and then make a serious run at the superbowl. The smart thing to do would be to build an offensive line and then take a QB that fits our scheme when he comes along.

2010 should be:
R1 LT
R2 RT
R4 C

Move BMW to right guard. Let the new tackles compete with Levi Jones for the starting jobs. Limp into 2011 with JC and
Portis.

2011
R1 QB
R2 RB
R3 ILB

In the meantime do not sign any more FAs. We will need a lot of cap space in 2012 to re-sign most of our young guys.

2012- probably make a playoff run.
2013-make a championship run.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Exactly.....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 28, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Limp into 2011 with JC and Portis.
Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 28, 2009 9:08 AM

Seriously?! I'm all for a long term plan, and yours is even a pretty good one, but NO WAY should JC & CP still be on the scene in 2011. In the case of JC, that would mean resigning him this off season. You really want to do that?

In the case of CP, the sooner we can rid ourselves of him, w/o the cap killing us, the better. His quickly eroding performance aside, he is a cancer. His relationship with Snyder is highly inappropriate and if you think there isn't resentment over his move to have Sellers benched and his aversion to practice and preseason, you're crazy.

Long term plan? Yes. One that includes these two for another two seasons? Shoot me in the head now.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Again, Davis, not Cooley has all the tools to be a better than average to great blocker. With a tremendous upside. His issue appears to be a combination of getting the 'reps' and motivation. With those two in hand we should see exponential improvement in that area.

In Cooley's case, he is probably going to end up replacing Randle El as an H-back go-to guy. Some sort of Hybrid Air-Coryell / Walsh West Coast seems to be in the offing. Just need the right coach to come in and make it happen.

Posted by: periculum | October 28, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse