Cooley's progress to be determined Monday

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley will have a follow-up appointment to evaluate the broken bone in his right ankle next Monday, an appointment that could help determine exactly how much time he'll miss.

Cooley, who broke the bone in the Oct. 26 loss to Philadelphia, will miss the first game of his six-year career Sunday in Atlanta. He said he will travel with the Redskins and provide as much support as he can, but he couldn't completely rule out missing the remaining nine games of the season.

"I'm hopeful that I can come back and play," Cooley said. "I still had an inch break in my ankle and it has three screws in it right now, so I'm not really getting around so well. So we'll see what happens.

"As far as the best case goes, I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, and we can re-evalutate how it's healed over the first 10 days and see how everything looks and how I feel and they can kind of tell me. Right now, it's still really sore. I really can't move it or set it down. I think that's what it's supposed to be, but I'll have someone who knows tell me on Monday."

Cooley is wearing a walking cast on his right foot, but moved around on crutches Monday because he cannot put weight on the leg. He realizes that the Redskins will have to make a decision, based on his progress, on whether to place him on season-ending injured reserve and replace him with someone else on the roster, or keep him active even as he can't play.

"I think the tough decision ends up being on our organization in the next couple weeks of keeping a spot for me over that amount of time and taking the risk of whether I will be able to play or not," Cooley said. "If my ankle feels good, I'm going to play. It doesn't matter what we're doing as far as the team."

Cooley leads the Redskins with 29 catches and has scored two touchdowns. He has never been seriously injured in his pro career, and his streak of 71 consecutive starts -- one that will end Sunday -- is the longest among NFL tight ends.

"I think it'll be hard to watch," Cooley said. "I'll be there for all my friends, and I'll be there with the team, and I'll be a part of the team as much as I can -- kinda go out and mess around on the field before the game, and try to have some fun and just try to help out the guys. It'll be tough for me, but it's not really an option of whether I could or could not play. It takes all the decision out of it, so I'm sure I'll be fine."

Second-year tight end Fred Davis is expected to get much of the playing time in Cooley's place.

By Barry Svrluga  |  November 4, 2009; 4:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth's primary concern is wins, not stats
Next: Zorn says Randle El is primary punt returner

Comments

FF Update

Apparently it was getting too lonely at the top, so both the Peeps and Hamsters leaders lost in a weekend impacted by byes, or is it buh byes? Or buy buys? Or ...

Life in the Peeps league was filled with thrills and spills and twists and turns.

Redcoat's mighty Fins (6-2) remain the leader, despite an upset at the hands of Skulls (3-5). Skulls 101-88 victory was keyed by MJD's 34.

The Buffaloes (6-2) grabbed a share of the league's lead as they topped Tampa (4-4) by a final of 95-58. Injuries and the bye week curtailed Tampa prolific offense, while Favre and LT led the Buffs.

Monday Night's game decided the winner in 4 different games.

The Jackalopes (6-2) led 4-12 (3-5) by 12 points going into Monday night's game and kept that margin, winning 70-58. Under the heading of how FF 'keeps a person humble', 4-12 had his two highest scorers for the week on his bench.

In a game that featured the two highest scoring teams of the week, my Futaleufu team (5-3) led Omaha (2-6) by 64 points heading into Monday night. Omaha then deployed 4 players that averaged 12.5 ppg or more. It became a nail biter, not decided until 3 seconds remained, with the Futa hanging on, 118-112.

The East Coast Shaft (3-5) led Alex's Zombie Hord (4-4) by 27 into the Monday game. The Shaft played 2 guys, but Alex had Drew Brees on his side. Brees played well, but not wasn't nearly enough and Shaft won 74-53.

The safest lead into Monday night was Nate's (3-5) massive 51 point lead over Future Winners (3-5) and Nate won, 92-54. Da Bears d and Reggie Wayne combined for 51 points for Nate.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hamsters FF saw a bunching up of the league in week 8, as the league's top 9 teams are separated by 2 games.

The byes had a big impact on league leader Suzanne, as her Trippin Billies (6-2) lost for the 2nd straight week, 96-78, to Zornskins (5-3) unruly mob of NFC Easters, and Adrian Peterson.

Joining the Trippin Billies at the top is my (6-2) Cal Salmon team (the Cal Salmon is named for a river, by the way, not a species of fish, which doesn't explain why I have a fish for a logo, but I digress). The Salmon topped the bye week riddled Kids (2-6) by a final of 94-37.

The 97-78 win by Realskins (5-3) over the E Funk (4-4) was led by the Bears dominating defense.

Moving down the alphabet from E Funk, the F Bombers topped Team dealer, 109-88, as Steven Jackson, Roddy White and Reggie Wayne all got 20 or more points. Both teams are now 4-4.

Alpa Chino (3-5) got back into the playoff chase with a 66-23 win over Butz (1-7), despite two RBs going for negative points.

Stump's Copro team dismantled Sween, as both teams moved to 4-4. Chris Johnson led Copro with another massive outing, 48 points worth. Copro led the league in scoring this week despite having all 3 of his top receivers with a bye weeks. Copro is only 1 of 2 teams to be averaging 95 points a game, a winning streak would be no surprise.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

marcus mason- entire organization

Posted by: swalker5 | November 4, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Duh - he should go to IR stat. By the time he can play, the Skins will be no better than 3-9 or 10.

What a ridiculous dilemma.

Posted by: gdennie | November 4, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

kinda feel that shutting chris cooley down may not be a bad thing. Get Davis some reps so he gets better, it would be nice to have 2 quality TE's to offer some match up problems next year.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I see what you're doing there, sween, but it ain't gonna work. Plus, as etrod pointed out, I think it's a tall order to even identify a most hated posted of all time.

periculum is sort of a meta-troll... the whiz-bang text formatting that has become his trademark helps me tremendously.

It seemed to me that when The Truth first appeared up here he was having trouble getting his meds and dosages sorted out... and he was engaged in a social media promotional campaign on behalf of the Georgia Bulldogs, which probably felt heroic to him. Eventually both those things settled down.

BOOFER was a fake, I thought then and still believe. Someone just trying to rile us up. Which worked a surprising amount of the time. I think the joke got old for whichever merry prankster was responsible, though not before it got old for most of us.

I have previously noted my own issues with Barno, who would be near the top of my list.

But I'd have to say my all-time most hated commenter up here was

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

al, can't agree more....no need for cooley to come back and make this worse than it needs to be.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

BOYS LOSING TO SKINYS WOULD BE LOSING TO A VERY BAD TEAM,WHO IS AT THE BOTTOM IN MOST STATS.IF YOU CANT BEET THE BAD TEAMS THEN CHANCES TO GO ANYWHERE ARE ALOT MORE DIFFICULT.AND BOYS ARE CLEARLY THE BETTER TEAM(NOT THAT YOU WILL AGREE)LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!hehehe

Posted by: BOOFER | November 1, 2006 1:45 PM

A little something from the Way Back Machine ...

Also, because its Wednesday, F Dallas.

Three years ago today, Skins crushed Dallas. Here is the Monday Morning H-Back review:

For as sucky as season as this is shaping up to be, I would really really really like to put a hurt on Dallas this season.

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Coming back would be great for Cooley's head.

I think it would be terrible for his ankle and his career.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 4, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

the problem with putting CC on IR next week is that whomever is signed to replace him would have lost at least ten days of learning the playbook.

just can't figure out the logic in JZ's decision making...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Let Cooley Rest, let Davis see what he can do, learn the kids strength and run the 2 TE set every play next year, 2 big guys in the middle forces a safety to cover that area with the LB's and free up a WR a bit more.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE FIRE VINNY !! Oh by the way, DALLAS SUCKS!! Hire a real GM and all will be forgiven!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | November 4, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse