Cooley's replacements produce mixed results

With tight end Chris Cooley propped up on crutches, watching the team's latest loss from the sidelines, the Redskins got mixed results from his replacements. Veteran Todd Yoder scored a crucial touchdown in the fourth quarter that put the Redskins within striking distance, but second-year tight end Fred Davis mishandled a ball in the first quarter, which led to a Falcons' score.

Quarterback Jason Campbell targeted Davis late in the opening quarter. Though the throw was a bit high, Davis said he could've caught it. Instead, the ball bounced off his hands and into the hands of Falcons cornerback Tye Hill, who returned the interception 62 yards for Atlanta's second touchdown.

"I messed up on one play the whole game. Everything else was pretty solid for me," Davis said. "I just wanted to come out and do whatever I could to make some plays and help the team. Just that one pass off my hands. ... I should have had it. You can say it was a little outside, but I got one hand on it and then the other. I should have made that catch."

Davis finished with two catches for 26 yards. Yoder, the team's only other tight end, had just one catch for three yards -- but it was a big one. On third-and-goal, Campbell rolled right but saw coverage everywhere. At the least moment, he spotted Yoder and hit him in the corner of the end zone, where Yoder barely got both feet in-bounds. The score cut the Falcons lead to 24-17.

"It gives us life, it gives us a great feeling ... that we're coming back in this game," said Yoder. "Obviously at the end of the game, it [stinks] because we didn't win."

Cooley, who had leg surgery during the bye week, expects to have his ankle and lower tibia examined by a doctor Monday. He hopes to have a better of idea then of when -- or even if -- he can return this season.

By Rick Maese  |  November 8, 2009; 7:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mitchell finally gets to make his mark
Next: Betts supplies a boost the offense needed

Comments

There are very few players to defend on this team. JC is not one of them.

The throw to Davis did not hit him in the hands. Davis got his hands on an inaccurate throw that he should have caught. JC lacks accuracy.

Another example is the miss to MK. A big boy like JC should have made that throw easily, even while moving up in the pocket.

JC is not one of the players that should be defended on this ill coached team.

Posted by: donj1963 | November 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, you can't say "sucks" now?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

donj, as a stalwart JC defender for a long time, I finally threw in the towel a few weeks ago.

But as a stalwart JC defender, I hesitated several beats too long, the pocket collapsed and I was hit as I released the towel, which skidded harmlessly across the floor. With a look on my face that was somehow both eerily detached and profoundly disgusted, I unsnapped my chinstrap and headed to the sideline again.

donj, I wouldn't waste my time worrying about people who are still defending JC. The guy who makes personnel decisions for the team gave up on him a long time ago. He's not going to be on the roster next season.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 8, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

how f'ing out of touch are these guys?

Posted by: cancunlizzard | November 8, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is a clown.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 8, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

"There are very few players to defend on this team. JC is not one of them."

But until the offensive line is re-built, keeping Campbell around is the only and best option.

Why draft a young'n to get beat up behind the horrible o-line the skins feature?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 8, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

typically, 'if you get a hand on it' you catch it. what is supposed to happen when you get "one, then the other"?

what a dbag, trying to make that sound like it wasn't on him! catch the damn ball!

Posted by: cancunlizzard | November 8, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Your right of course PDX. Just amazes me.

Mista, I agree. Do not draft a QB until 2011 at the earliest.

Posted by: donj1963 | November 8, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

DeAngelo Hall...what a waste of money. The guy is an idiot.

Posted by: GatorJoe | November 8, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

In a post-game locker room interview with Comcast Sports Network DeAngelo Hall explained that something uglier than a minor shoving match occured. He claimed that Atlanta’s head strength and conditioning coach – Jeff Fish – grabbed him in a manner that was intended to do him physical harm, and that Atlanta’s Head Coach Mike Smith directly threatened him and also grabbed him in a manner intended to inflict injury. One of the Fox TV Analysts, I believe Tony Siragusa, commented that Smith has a reputation for being willing to mix it up on behalf of players, would not hesitate to get involved, and would not back down. So, it’s certainly plausible that, in the heat of the moment, harsh words were exchanged and those involved did more than just hold players back to prevent a fight. More to the point, after reviewing a video of the incident I’m convinced Mike Smith struck Hall with his right elbow directly in front of a referee, yet only Redskins’ players were flagged.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

If you want to complain about JC there is plenty to complain about but there was nothing wrong with the pass to Davis. The pass was fine and should have been caught. David blew it and caused an INT they should not have happened. I doubt it would have changed the outcome of the game but you never know. Again an example of how execution and players not making plays is hurting worst then suspect playcalling.

Posted by: lifelongfan | November 8, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

watched post game, how Zorn is explaining the coach is designed by one coach and called by other.

Dude get over it, be a leader of this team, get the guys to play at the high level. Learn to use the right words. It is too much of details in these press conference,

Be a HEAD COACH. Anyways while we are on play calling your 4th down calls sucked bigtime. in the 4th Quarter.

Posted by: dnaik | November 8, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dnaik | November 8, 2009 8:17 PM |

This don't make no sense. If Zorn is designing the game plan and Lewis is calling the plays then that don't make no sense neither. At this point Lewis should be in total control of the O - game plan, play calls, instruction to coaches, etc. Zorro should be nothing more than a warm bod on the sideline. He should not have a Motorola.

Posted by: GasFace | November 8, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

give it up dude, that train has long left the station...

he's just a figure head now...

Posted by: joek443 | November 8, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 8:10 PM |

There's plenty of tape on this and if this is how it happened the league office will flag Mike Smith.

Personally, I think the 'Skins were disgusting -- all of them -- in this sequence. They only want to play dirty, not play football.

Posted by: League-Source | November 8, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 8:10 PM |

Mike Smith is an old man. He lucky Hall didn't do a Pedro Martinez to his Don Zimmer.

Posted by: GasFace | November 8, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

So what did Vinny's terrible threesome produce today? Davis caught 2. #11 got blanked. What did #12 do? And why isn't Marco Mitchell starting?

Posted by: mack1 | November 8, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Cooley smiling and having a good time when the camera was directed to him? Can someone explain to me how could he be smiling as his "beloved team" was getting manhandled? Cooley is supposed to be a leader and I think he can be if he was freaken coached by LEADER!

There is no accountability and no fear in any of these players. That results in poor execution and mental errors. If Fred Davis knew if he drops that ball he is going to see the bench or face a full week of pain in practice, you think he would concentrate a little harder on that play?

Zorn says he doesn't need to push these guys because they are "men." Well Fred Davis isn't even 25. These aren't men... they are premadonnas that THINK they are men but don't know what it really takes to be in the NFL....

For instance, Marko, a guy drafted from the bottom and with nothing promised, is playing for his life...and the results are on the field. Throw him the ball and he will catch it... Fred should learn!

One again... when will this all end!?

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | November 8, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Mike Smith is an old man.

Posted by: GasFace | November 8, 2009 8:44 PM

Mike Smith is 50. Maybe in 15 or 20 years he'll be "an old man" but not before then.

Posted by: League-Source | November 8, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

...says the 50 year old guy...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Damnit! I am sick and tired of this Redskin bashing. You folks are never happy.
Come on.....The Redskins scored 17 points.
What more can you ask for?
Now come on.....get on the bandwagon. The team is getting ready to make their move....to the CFL...if they will have us?

Posted by: scholls3 | November 8, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

...says the 50 year old guy...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 8:56 PM

That was a while ago. I'm already and old man. Not as old as Cork, though.

Posted by: League-Source | November 8, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I hear Zorn told the team to drop the game so that our 2-6 start will let us finish 6-2.
He has a Lust for Medium.

Posted by: daggar | November 8, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Damnit! I am sick and tired of this Redskin bashing. You folks are never happy.
Come on.....The Redskins scored 17 points.
What more can you ask for?

Posted by: scholls3 | November 8, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse
________________
That's some funny stuff right there

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 8, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has got to get his team better prepared to come out and be competitive. They've come out lethargic in every game this year.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 8, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike Smith wasn't worried about mixing it up with D. Hall - he saw the tape of Hall trying to tackle Jake Delhomme one-on-one and Delhomme winning that battle.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 8, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Nate. With 25 sacks already (and the season is still young!) sure ... he's getting killed. Check out Favre's stats last year. And then look at this year. And keep in mind that Favre is FORTY! Then imagine him behind this line?
JC is gone. Unless he is a total idiot. He is gone, out the door ... we'll see ya without any help from "our fans". Why bother criticizing the guy? All you are doing is giving Snyder yet another excuse as to why he can't get it done? Let's bring in Jeff George and replace future superbowl QB Brad Johnson ... sheesh they never learn. Shakes head ruefully.

Posted by: periculum | November 8, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

SAME STORY EVERY WEEK-DANNY BOY SELL YOUR TEAM TO ANOTHER WHO WILL STAY OUT OF FOOTBALL AND TAKE VINNY WITH YOU!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | November 8, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Fred the sleepyhead...you had two shots....one screamed right through your hands for an INT......get the f%$% out of here.....f###k u! Go drop for somone else....are u kidding me!!!1

Posted by: Smiley2 | November 8, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

wOW...fRED SHUT THE F^^K UP!!!

Posted by: Smiley2 | November 8, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Fire VINNY !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

and by the way F Dallas !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 8, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

The one thing we can count on is that redskins fans will over-react to a small statement taken from a five minute interview. For his first start, I thought Davis was solid in his assignments, particularly in the run game. Even the intercept was a result of the inexperience he and JC have, Davis stopped in the whole of the zone and JC lead out a little further. It is not a bad start for Davis. I also liked what little I saw from Mitchell.

Posted by: TWISI | November 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

NO; I'm not going to waste my time defending JC to all you fair weather fans because you were never on JC's side anyway in the face of an idiotic gm, an owner who thinks he knows it all, several o-coordinators over JC's tenure here,numerous scheme's, an off season of insult's where they actually courted an untested rookie(Sanchez)a QB with a bad attitude(Cutler) and no attempt by team management to shore up an obvious weakness(the o-line)via the draft after watching JC get his brains beat in the second half of last season. The fair weather fans of Campbell and this team dont' deserve the class act that is Jason Campbell.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 8, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm really starting to question the football acumen of the people who post here regularly. As I watch other games, I see passes that many of you would excoriate JC for making that other teams and other players convert successfully. You speak of 'accuracy,' as if you expect 100% of JC's passes to hit receivers right between their numbers. JC has just as much talent and skill (more so) than Theismann and Doug Williams. Was Mark Rypien that much better than JC? Chest contusion, tweaked ankle, and he keeps coming back. But I supposed he's should 'take those hits better' to be a top-flight quarterback.

I'll take any starting qb in this league, put them on this team, and the results would be close to the same. I would ROFLMAO if the next coach/GM comes in and says, 'we're keeping JC 'cause he's the best we can get right now,' and make the peanut gallery that blast him constantly shut the fudge up. If Snyder had any real guts he'd fire Cerrato first, hire a GM, and let the GM do the rest. THAT would be some real off-season fireworks to excite the fan base.

Posted by: pdfordiii | November 8, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Mixed results? He didn't hang onto the ball that was int. And did you see him block anyone.

Posted by: jmy999 | November 8, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Definition of fairweather fan - someone who disagrees with dargregmag.

Posted by: donj1963 | November 8, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I wish JC17 was JC40....Jesus Christ 40

Posted by: dmlopez1 | November 8, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I wish JC17 was JC40....Jesus Christ 40

Posted by: dmlopez1 | November 8, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

zorn re Turner "we really put the wood on him"

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I blame Snyder for the lack of accountability. I think that Zorn would love to do what you suggest, but ownership and upper management have tied his hands. They have gone out of their way to undermine Zorn as much as possible.

One example is Clinton Portis. Last year Portis went on Snyder's radio station to trash Zorn. Portis has had the gall to go to the coach and tell him who to put in the game. (Now I never found out if Zorn did take Sellers out of the game). Portis skips the preseason and doesn't practice. Portis is a toxic influence on the team.

This is because, according to Portis, "Snyder loves me". Apparently Snyder and Portis are "friends". So, when Zorn apparently tried to demand accountability from him before the CIN game, he went on Snyder's radio station and trashed the coach. Snyder has enabled Portis to undermine the coaches and the teams.

So the other 52 men see that. They know that Zorn doesn't really have much control, so why respect, let alone fear him? They know that, if they whine loudly enough to Snyder, they will get their way. So even if Zorn found his inner Bill Parcells, Mike Singletary, or Mike Ditka, it would be pointless because Snyder would undermine him.

Doesn't Snyder realize that a team that doesn't respect its coach isn't going to play well? Doesn't Snyder realize that allowing one player--Clinton Portis--to have all those special privileges going to create a toxic environment? And doesn't Snyder realize that, by not backing the coach and defending his decisions to whiny players, the rest of the team isn't going to respect or fear him?

Posted by: jiacinto | November 8, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

just finished watching the post game interview with zorn and although this is out of context can't believe he said it.

"the score doesn't make the difference"

what?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Thank you pdfordiii. some sanity.

Unless someone is offering Peyton, Brady or a legitimate star, I'd rather stick with Jason at least until we can get a respectable oline. I'd hate to see sanchez behind this mess. Or cutler. And at least we didn't waste picks on those guys (for once). Jason hasn't been perfect by any means but we have bigger problems for now. Campbell hit Davis today, and don't get me started on how pitiful Santana was. Laid an egg. Marko, for crying out loud, deserves more snaps!!

Posted by: AdamCr | November 8, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler is just like Jeff George... they lucked out not getting him

Posted by: joek443 | November 8, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

The team's performance is bad enough; having to read the WaPo reaction is even worse.

The sports section headline notes that the Redskins failed to protect Campbell as he is sacked 5 times.

So what? Tony Romo was sacked 4 times, and threw 1 INT (like JC) and his team still won tonight, 20-16.

Eli Manning was also sacked 5 times today, and although his team lost, they didn't lose until the last second of the game, 21-20.

There's a helluva lot more wrong with the Washington Redskins than the number of sacks they gave up today. And this belief by some that Jason Campbell is someone who should be absolved of blame after losses is beyond bizarre; it's frikkin' irrational.

So I'll repeat the facts as they exist today: Vinny sucks, the O-line sucks, Zorn sucks, D.Hall's & Landry's tackling sucks, and yes, Jason Campbell sucks.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pdfordiii | November 8, 2009 10:22 PM |
-------------------------------

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Another JC sac-sucker whose chief concern in life is making sure Campbell is kept clear of any blame for losses.

And as for "ROFLMAO" that's exactly what I did when you compared Jason Campbell's abilities to Joe Theismann or Mark Doug Williams.

You're outta of your forking gourd, freak.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

MrRedskins21, LL's tackling is not all that sucks about him. Constantly takes poor angles and his signature play is late hit out of bounds. LL sucks, period.

Agree with the rest.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 9, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Mark Rypien or Doug Williams*

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pdfordiii | November 8, 2009 10:22 PM |

Huh?????? Whateves

Posted by: chrislarry | November 9, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Trade Landry and play Kareem Moore, it can not be much worse. ST21 elevated Landry's game, now we can see that he is a below average tackler and does not have the speed to play the center of the field.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | November 9, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 12:06 AM
____________________________

you forgot Snyder Sucks! since he's responsible for what he buys and puts on the field.

Hey Dan, great team you got there! Dummy!

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 9, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

The redskins should have a fire sale next year; Landry, Portis, Hall, Rogers, Campbell. I think Portis plays hard when he has something to play for but if we could get a 3rd pick for him go for it. Never find anyone to take his contract though.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | November 9, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

They need to blow this thing up and start over nobody should be off limits to trade. I wonder if anyone would be willing to take Haynesworth for a first round pick? The problem with the redskins is for the most part they are an over the hill team that have been paid very well and they are not hungry. Building through free agency does not work look how many players we have let go that have moved on to other teams to be very good: Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, Chris Clemmons. Instead of paying those players we went out and brought people in via free agency, that destroys the chemistry or is the reason there is not any. I love how Vinny talks about how great the locker room is, I am pretty sure that if I went to work where almost everyone was a millionaire everyone would be pretty happy as well.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | November 9, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Trading Portis and Hall are not options due to their contracts. Portis shouldbe let go next year if there is no salary cap. Hall will be here for a few years.

LL and CR are among the players that can and should be traded.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 9, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree with Hall on the two Atlanta coaches doing more than trying to restore order. Really looks like Smith through an elbow at Hall at the 22 second mark.

Also, no way Smith did not know what player he was confronting as he says in his comments. He was right in Hall's grill.

Oh, and F dallas!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 9, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 9, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Just heard Cleveland is trying to bring in Holmgren as GM soon. I like the idea of bringing Holmgren here. We've west coasted ourselves with yet another offensive system and should probablly keep this one for a while and who better to run it than Mike? I don't think he would put up with snyder's meddling and he knows how to build winning teams. Hopefully his remarks about JZ's treatment and this organization can be overlooked by $$$ and he could probablly save JZ with a job as OC (or QB coach). Maybe Snyder will get his azz in gear now that he knows there is intrest in Holmgren right now. Vinny needs to get his long overdue ax. I think it would be our best move but i'm too depressed by bad football and even worse management to know anything anyway.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | November 9, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

From what I read, Cleveland would be giving Holmgren a roll similar to Parcel's in Miami. Not sure he would be offered the same roll here.

If there is any chance that Holmgren would be keeping zorn around in any capacity, then I want no part of that. (not that that is likely to happen.)

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 9, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

“The thing that I was impressed with, if there is anything impressive about (pause), remember I’m qualifying,” said Zorn. “We lost. OK, I get that. But the thing that was impressive is the fight the Redskin football team has. They came out and battled.”

***************************

**SIGH**

Posted by: Skins930 | November 9, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

TEBOW

Posted by: ncoxx002 | November 9, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

TEBOW

Posted by: ncoxx002 | November 9, 2009 2:05 AM | Report abuse

That was a while ago. I'm already and old man. Not as old as Cork, though.

Posted by: League-Source

True, but shut up and get off my lawn.

Posted by: TheCork | November 9, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Zorn is not a head coach!
Vinny is not a gm!
playcalling was atrocious by Zorn on 4th down.
Zorn is not a meticulous QB coach (he never instructs the QB to try to draw the defense off sides). Zorn thinks it is normal for a QB to have to run for his life because he was famous for doing it when he played. Otherwise he would have demanded better OL depth/talent starting the season.
We made so many mental mistakes, it was a miracle that we came within 7 points of tying the game in the 2nd half.
Why would you even consider having different play callers for pass and run plays?
Why isn't JC in the shotgun more, calling his own plays, rolling out of the pocket more to atleast have a chance at not being sandwiched?
Why isn't Marko starting?
Why not go no huddle sometimes so the defense cannot adjust regularly?
Why does Blatche let Rogers play 12 yards off the WR? Is it so that he never has to worry about touching an interception and thus no chance to drop it (again)?
Was there anyone on the planet (other than the skins) that did not know Gonzales was going to get that initial TD pass. Carter merely tapped him on the shoulder instead of trying to bump the crap out of him off the line (doesn't Carter lift weights too?)
Don't worry folks, we will beat Denver at home because the air will be too thick for them!

Posted by: jenksredskins | November 9, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

btw, I've always been impressed by Yoder's play; when he gets to play. wtf

Posted by: jenksredskins | November 9, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

I turned the game off during the second quarter this morning, after we kicked the field goal. I decided to go tackle yard work instead. Yard work that involved digging up 10' tall 4x4 posts sunk into concrete, weighing about 120 lbs. each, finagling them into a wheelbarrow, and moving them about 200 feet, down a hill switchback-style, working hard to keep the wheelbarrow from tipping. Did I mention that it was also cold and raining?

That's how bad it's gotten, that backbreaking labor in miserable conditions was the more preferable option to sitting on the couch -- comfortable, warm, and dry -- and watching this team.

Many hours and a hot shower later, I sat down to watch the DVR'd game. By the end of the third quarter, I actually had a glimmer of hope.

Michael Turner quickly snapped me back to reality.

Observations:

Not that it amounts to a hill of beans in this cluster-copulation, but Sherm Lewis' playcalling > Jim Zorn's playcalling. Lewis calls the sorts of plays that I often see when watching actual competitive NFL teams play.

Ladell Betts > Clinton Portis at this point. He looks much quicker, and definitely plays hungrier.

Rock Cartwright = Not a power back. Too small.

Mike Sellers seems to make one stupid play to offset any one good play he makes.

Campbell will not survive the rest of the season behind this line. Making things worse, the guys playing on the line, in addition to their lack of experience/talent, are coming up just as gimpy as JC.

Landry has become a liability, between his cheap shots and his horrible "tackling."

Posted by: freakzilla | November 9, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Marko Mitchell = The Real Deal.

More, please. Get this kid lots of experience this year so he can shine next year.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 9, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

Yeah freakzilla, the blog even came alive during the third qtr. Almost like there was hope for us hamsters.

Now I am just waiting to make sure that the sun is in fact going to rise again.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 9, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse

I say give the young guys as much playing time as possible this 2nd half of the season.

They are the future of the team......we knew the youth movement for this team began when Greg Williams wasn't hired to follow Gibbs.

I still don't get the expectations that fans had for this team this season.

I predicted optimistically 8-8 (AT BEST) for the season when looking at the schedule in April......methinks my 4-12 (AT WORST) prediction is more likely.
An aging Gibbs 2.0 offense constructed roster, 2 years removed from their last playoff run with aging stars across the board....people have to be realistic about these things.

Any true fan that looked at this team knows that this process has occur.....ALL THE PROBLEMS OF THIS TEAM COULD NOT BE FIXED IN A SINGLE SEASON.

The DL was the focus this year in the belief that the OL could hold up another year. A risky gamble true.....but one line at a time.

The biggest question you have to have is : Which is the real JC....the one this year or the one that started last year?? I still don't know.

If 2010 is an uncapped year do we keep JC around as a restricted FA (believe me...the FA QB market looks ugly if its uncapped....UGLY) in order to groom a new one or do we put it on Collins/Brennan/(Bring Back Chase Daniel or trade for another 1st RND Question like Brady Quinn)??

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | November 9, 2009 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 12:06 AM

So what?

Look at the scoreboard: Atlanta 31, Washington 17. If the 'Skins D had lived up to its hype and did what the Dallas D did, then we would have won 17-16.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 |----------------

Dude--did you not notice that the Eagles scored only 16 points. Atlanta put up 31??!!

Did you not notice the Skins' D missing all kinds of tackles and Michael Turner running all over them?!

I'm with League Source, if the D had done its job we would have won the game.

Eli however would have lost 31-20. Do the math!!!

Posted by: mdflorals | November 9, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Giants, Saints, Vikes all have rookie WRs tearing it up, scoring long plays, in there consistently, and ours are total zeroes sitting on the bench or running wrong routes or dropping a rare pass when it does get thrown their way.

thanks Vinny, did you pick those stiffs from the Special Olympics draft? how much more obvious can it be? you suck and because of it Danny's toy team sucks.

great team Danny!

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 9, 2009 12:32 AM

At some point its not all Vinny and Snyder to blame. Yes it was STUPID not to draft OL but we do have players who can play. What we don't have is coaches who LEAD and players who PLAY for the coaches. The problem with this team is the lack of backbone and leadership from Zorn and his staff. They don't take reps from the players who have been the best producers in the past, whether it be because they can't see that Portis isn't as productive as Betts or because they are AFRAID to challenge him by removing him from the line-up. Likewise, Marko caught both balls that came his way, the same number of crucial drops I saw Santana Moss make while i was watching. Will Santana get less passes thrown his way and marko get more?? What do YOU think??? The players lead this team and thats why they get away with being soft and avoid accountability...Until that changes we will never be a consistently good team.

Posted by: scottmando | November 9, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

The ball was simply too high and too far behind Davis to catch. That he was able to twist around and barely miss it is a testiment to Davis' flexibility -- but at the heart of it, JC17 still threw this pick -- and is directly responsible for the 7 points scored on the runback. It continues a run of games where JC17 gives up more points to the opposition. No wonder the road game fans love him!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Problem is the word "accountable" is used too often without anybody knowing what it means. In my definition it means something tangible happens if you screw up. It is not accountable just to say "I'm accountable for my screw up. Here's what accountable means: Dan Snyder immediately announces a price reduction for tickets across the board for next year as well as a price reduction to parking, hot dogs and cokes. Vinnie immediately announces "I will step down at the end of the year because I failed everyone and I will return my salary this year." The players immediately say I didn't execute or I missed an assignment so please all you Redskins fans who are in the vicinity of Tyson's Corner at 1 pm on Tuesday, I will give you back my game check in $100 handouts because I am accountable. I don't want to hear anybody else associated with the Redskins say I'm accountable and not do something tangible. I will puke if I hear that again.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 9, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are laying down like dogs. Everything they do is a disaster. It's called effort. How many interceptions or fumbles have been run back for TDs this season? Effort! The missed tackles, especially by the DBs are shameful. Effort! The O-line, worse than worse. Big, duffous guys who look pathetic. Being continually beaten by your opponent is shameful. Effort! Santana missed several balls. Effort! JC panics everytime he drops back. There is no rhythm in this west coast offense. If a receiver isn't open by 10 yards, he can't pull the trigger. Preparation and effort! Plus a QB who is limited. JC is a nice guy, but not even an average QB. Offense gets a score, defense gives it right back. Effort! Coaching, let's not even go there! I have a ticket to see these buffoons when they play Dallas. I don't want to even go but my daughter (bless her heart) bought tickets before the season for father's day. I have to apologize to her for wasting her money. Thanks to Danny Boy and his ass wipe we fans are stuck with something putrid. D Hall, waste of money! This guy is a big clown. He couldn't make it in Oakland and we picked him up?!!! Typical Redskins. Pick up everybody else's trash!

Posted by: jfoster13 | November 9, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Ok, who cares if Cooley is smiling or laughing on the sidelines.... thsi season is done! have you ever been so frustrated that you laugh it off?? I know I have. This team is done. I know Gibbs pt II was not the most successful in record but what was is the establishing a foundation and a direction. The minute he cleaned out his desk and vinny was given the corner office, Napolean and Pedro quickly dismantled it. We are at the point of the spurrier years (His last one) where the players do whatever they want and there is no accountability. this starts at the top and works its way down. You can see the non desire in the play. It is accpetable to play bad without any repercussion. Due to our structured "inflated" contracts, if people start getting released, the cap hit on us is overwhelming... again, this is where our owner and VP are to blame. Unfortunately, the owner as wel as soem in society believe in "me,me, now, now". it is the selfish era. I know that if I dont do my job, I am out on my backside. I think that if you challenged everyone with their jobs, you will start to see more desire and heart. Trust me, Portis, moss and a few guys, if they get cut, we will not garner the pay that they got fro mthe skins... just look at their redskin resume... not that good. I wish I was a football guy.... fixing this organization is sooooo easy, yet so hard!

Posted by: rvanags | November 9, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse