Draft Scenario: Orakpo Slips to Skins

Let's say the Redskins aren't able to trade up in the NFL draft and take USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, the apple of the owner's eye, and let's rule out the idea that Sanchez is still on the board at 13, because I just don't see that happening. And let's say there is a run on offensive players in the top 12, with all four top tackles (Antone and Allen Smith, Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher), two wide receivers (Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin), two quarterbacks, (Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford) and maybe even a running back (Knowshon Moreno), taken before the Skins pick.

Then let's take out the consensus top two defensive players, Aaron Curry and B.J. Raji. That's 11 players off the board with Denver, which is in need of major defensive help, on the clock. From what I am hearing, Aaron Maybin, the Penn State defensive end, is drawing some interest and is rising, so let's give him to the Broncos.

Again, this is all hypothetical, but that would make Brian Orakpo, the Texas defensive end who was generating all that buzz a while back, available at 13. (Defensive end Everette Brown would also be on this hypothetical board, but I don't get the sense the Skins value him as much as others at that position.) Given Washington's needs, wouldn't they grab Orakpo here? Sure, I'd investigate trading down, but the only teams that seem inclined to move up inside the top of this draft are the Skins and Jets both would be doing it with Sanchez in mind.

As for other prospects on this hypothetical board, Malcolm Jenkins is a stud cornerback, but the Skins need more of a nickel guy for now with DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers still young. And then you've got the trio of USC linebackers (with the Skins seemingly most enamored with Rey Maualuga), but I think taking a linebacker here would be a stretch. If a sure thing like Curry were available here, that would be a different story, but it seems unlikely.

To me you take Orakpo here and call it a win. This scenario doesn't seem that far fetched at this point. Once players at a certain position start to move there is often a run on them, and offense could carry the day in the top 10. I continue to hear Oher won't slip out of the top 10. As for offensive players, Andre Smith, who has had his issues since leaving Alabama, seems the most likely player of interest to be there for the Skins at 13, but this far out it's still difficult to project. All it takes is for one trade or one pick out of left field for the entire board to shift.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 16, 2009; 12:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Could Boldin Be in Cards for Skins?
Next: Orakpo, Sanchez Scenarios, Updates

Comments

ORAKPO WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO THE SKINS AND THIS ISN'T MY JOB.... HOW COME I HAVE TO LACA THIS?

Posted by: mopp04 | April 16, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN BY THE WAY

Posted by: mopp04 | April 16, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"What? We picked Thomas, Kelly and Davis -- and those picks could have been used to get Boldin last year. That happened. If you want to say we did the right thing in not trading the picks for Q, go ahead and defend it. But history says when you can trade 3 pounds of hamburger for a future HOF level player in his prime, do it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 "

it's easy to say that now

I bet in 2008 you were all for drafting Thomas, Kelly, and Davis. I bet if we would've asked you what you thought about a possible trade for Boldin, you would've said "No way!" and cried.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Dan and Vinny make me poop in my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

this is crazy talk. no way orakpo drops. we should move down and acquire a couple of extra picks (maybe a 2 and a 4?), kind of like last year. use the Patriots formula: stockpile picks and find a sucker to pay dearly to trade up in the first round.

Posted by: Zorny | April 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Cards Want A One And A Three For Boldin
Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2009, 11:25 a.m. EDT
ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Arizona Cardinals are telling prospective suitors for receiver Anquan Boldin that at least a first-round pick and a third-round pick will be needed to get the deal done.

Per Paolantonio, the Eagles, Giants, Jets, and Ravens have shown interest.

Boldin said recently that he’d love to play for the Dolphins, but it’s unknown whether Miami will get into the mix. Other teams that could (or should) be interested include, in our estimation, the Jaguars, Vikings, Titans, Colts, Chiefs, 49ers, Browns (if they trade Braylon Edwards) and Rams.

We also think that, if any current NFL receiver other than Hines Ward screams out “Pittsburgh Steeler” in the way he plays the game, it’s Boldin. And with Ward possibly inching toward the end of the rope, it might make a lot of sense to add his eventual replacement sooner rather than later.

The Eagles have the most ammunition to get a deal done, with a couple of first-round picks and ten other selections. The Giants have the clearest need, but they’d be better off with a guy with the kind of speed to stretch the field. The Eagles potentially have a player like that in DeSean Jackson. Boldin and Kevin Curtis would provide a formidable duo for the underneath routes. If opposing defense lock onto either of them, Jackson will face single coverage at best

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember anyone (reasonable) lauding the receiver choices last year.

And while I'm down with making either line better - I'm much more worried about O line than D.

If a true first rounder O-Lineman is available at 13, I sure as SJK hope they pull the trigger on it.

This has to be Campbell's year and they need to give him the tools to do his job.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter who you put on D. We're not winning the Stuporbowl scoring 17 points a game. We're not.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 16, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"'cept I was saying last year, before the draft, we should be trading for Boldin. Which is why you'd be smart not to bet

Posted by: zcezcest1"

which is exactly what I was making fun of you about

ON TOPIC

I'd rather have Muauluga over Orakpo. Orakpo = Gholston IMO.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I would LOVE for us to draft Orkapo.

On another note: why are the Cardinals open to trading Boldin? He is under contract and a stud WR.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 16, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Boldin could easily wind up in the NFC East. As of now, Santana is the best WR in the division, which tells you something. What says even more ... of all the WRs on NFC East squads at the moment, ARE is 4th in 2008 receiving yards.

The Q to philly thing makes a ton of sense, especially with mcnabb getting older. mcnabb had his best year throwing to owens -- and philly went to the Super Bowl (though owens was injured during much of the playoffs). Boldin is a lot like owens without the drama.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Boldin won't mean SQUAT w/o protecting the QB and solidifying the run game.

Plus, never trust a Seminole, Anna Nicole.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Boldin is the shiny new toy Li'l Dan loves. He's probobly antsy as hell right now, hopping around, trying to figure out how to get Sanchez and Boldin. And still the O line needs attention......

Posted by: splitbill | April 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Boldin than Sanchez.

I'd rather have any of the 4 offensive tackles over any player not named Curry.

I'd rather have Orakpo over any other D-lineman outside of Raji and Maybin.

I would not take a LB outside of Curry with #13, regardless of who else is available (there are at least 13 selections better, so someone will be better that's available).

And that's it.

Posted by: psps23 | April 16, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Allen and Anton Smith? Wow..

Posted by: ga8085 | April 16, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I haven't commented here before, but I just can't stand it anymore. Daniel Snyder and Vinnie Cerrato truly have absolutely no idea whatsoever what they're doing. Why in the name of all that is good and holy would any sane person draft Mark Sanchez when (1) you have a young, up and coming, improving quarterback like Jason Campbell, and (2) you have glaring needs at the O line and LB, with DE not far behind. If those two idiots had half a brain between them, which they don't, they would draft an OL and LB in rounds 1 and 3 and give Campbell this year to keep improving. Those positions are much bigger weaknesses than quarterback. Campbell might not ever be John Elway (he hasn't shown that type of ability so far), but he's certainly not a bad quarterback, and certainly isn't hurting the team right now. The age of the O line is hurting the team right now, and will only get worse. The complete lack of a pass rush, and lack of edge rushers, is hurting this team right now. We don't have a starting strongside backer on the roster - that will hurt the team right now. Campbell will be fine for now, or maybe even a year or two more, especially with new young receivers that hypothetically will begin to develop (we'll see). Drafting Sanchez will set the team back years, 'cause we'll still have an old and getting older O line (even Samuels probably only has a couple of years left at a pro-bowl level) and no pass rush. This will be even more true if Snyder trades away a bunch of picks again to move up and get him. And don't think for a minute that Synder and Cerrato won't draft another corner or safety, which we don't need right now, if one comes up on their "best player available board" in the 3rd round if they keep that pick.

Successful teams build with stud O and D lines first, mostly through the draft. Teams like NE, Balimore, and Pittsburgh draft linemen every year to restock, 'cause they know the importance of both lines. Every team can get by with a mediocre QB if they have a running game (we already have a very good one), decent receivers (we have one and a good TE),and great O and D lines (see: SB champion Baltimore Ravens). Snyder amd Cerrator don't understand this and never will, because they only see the glamour positions as important, and love big-name, so-called stars.

I've had it with those two clowns. They are doing their best to ruin the team I've loved for 30 years. They've made the 'Skins a laughingstock akin to the Raiders. I'll always love the team, but those to sure do make it hard. Danny, please sell the team.

Posted by: skinsfan213 | April 16, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I do not want to see Boldin in Eagle green. That would be trouble

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 16, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

actually bolding is an underneath pass cathcer and owens is over the top deep ball. they are completely different.

your welcome

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

John Madden on his retirement from earlier today

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's a knock on Boldin:

fumbled (and lost) more than any other to 15 receiver. Oh, and I think Moss had more yds.

Plus, remember how much he was beyotching about not being #1 last year... So much so that they're going to trade him instead of working w/ him for another year.

Pie in the sky w/ that receiver... DON'T trade for him.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 16, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan213 | April 16, 2009 12:59 PM |

The draft is next Saturday so unless you can predict the future, I suggest you wait and see what happens.

JLC hates the Skins and has no real inside source at the park, so take all of his speculation with a ton of salt.

Sanchez will not be there at 13 and the Skins won't trade up to get him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I think Jasno's new name should be Dr. Obvious with his specialty being the the hypothetical and unsubstantiated.

I loved watching On the Clock yesterday on ESPN and hearing Jasno repeat the same story that Mark Schlereth "broke" after the Cutler trade fell through as though there was actually some new information.

The echo chamber is in full effect on this story. And let's say that, for the sake of argument, Mel Kiper is the source- then there's some serious misrepresentation going on here, because he's as much a "league" source as I am and he's definitely not a team official.

Also, if kiper is the source, why woldn't you name him? Isn't it his job to predict this kind of stuff?

Posted by: LarryBud | April 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan213, wait until The Danny and Vinny make dumb mistakes before flipping out about them.

This is all speculation, and you're liable to have a heart attack.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 16, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

LarryBud. sweet!

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I should mention that I mean the story about Snyder having the steaming undies for Sanchez, which, btw, may very well be the case, but there's no way anybody at The Park is talking to Jasno about it. He's playing the odds on being right and hedging his bets with stuff like this Orakpo story.

Posted by: LarryBud | April 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez will not be there at 13 and the Skins won't trade up to get him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

But the scary thing is the fact that it's a possibility with these two knuckleheads. Alot of people thought that the speculation on getting Cutler was unwarranted, but that turned out to be true. Also, Helmet Hair Kiper is predicting him to the Skins, so there's something there.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 16, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What about........SOUTHCENTRAL!!!!!

LOCO in jail: CANT BE ALONE IN HERE BOBBY!!

JUST GIVE ME THE DRINK !!!!LOLOL

DUECE HERE

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Like I commented yesterday, the only trade-up scenario I would support would be for Orakpo. He will NOT be there at 13 so if we stay put then we should take the best DE/RT/SLB that is left on the board. I would love to trade for multiple later picks but I doubt that opportunity will be available. It will be a huge mistake if we pick Sanchez and if we move up to get him than it will be devastating for many many years to come!

Posted by: mburns134 | April 16, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Here's a knock on Boldin:

Pie in the sky w/ that receiver... DON'T trade for him.

Posted by: DikShuttle

Boldin does fumble -- really his one problem area. Moss had more yards since Boldin was out for a few games due to a brutal helmet to helmet hit. Boldin had more TDs (12?).

Boldin's complaining had much to do with how much Fitz was getting paid compared to Boldin. Fitz was getting huge $$, about 4x Boldin. But Boldin was the fastest in NFL history to get to 500 receptions (and 400 receptions, etc). So he wants big $$ as well, but is tied into a contract which has him earning well below market value. He figures his best shot a doubling or tripling his salary is to get out of AZ

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Which reminds me of a particular draft strategy that I was introduced to sometime last year. It's a strategy that was developed for the NBA, but I don't see why it shouldn't fit in the NFL. Anyway, here's the gist:

It's a way to balance the BPA vs. Need argument. Players are separated into "tiers", and within the tiers the players are separated by need. You never select a player in a lower tier unless all the tiers above are completely empty. Once you hit a certain tier, priority is placed on need. Pretty simple. And with that, here's psps23's updated draft big board:

List of Needs in order of priority: OT, DE, LB, C/G, WR, CB, RB, DT, K, P, QB, S, TE

Tier 1:

Hakeem Nicks, WR
Malcolm Jenkins, CB
Knowshon Moreno, RB
Matthew Stafford, QB
Brandon Pettigrew, TE

Posted by: psps23 | April 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

i dont know about THE REST OF YA but i think its worth grabbin BOLDIN just to prevent any other NFC EAST teams from grabbin him i wouldnt want our boys facin him twice a year plus as tight as our games our he adds 2 wins to our team which gives us playoffs last year all by himself

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | April 16, 2009 1:11 PM |

Kiper is predicting him at 13 he won't be there at 13.

Why all the sudden does everyone think Kiper has an inside at the park, did he predict what we would do last year.

Stop listening to peric a d!ck, Kiper predicted we would take Landry so did everyone else including me, and I have no inside source at the park.

The Cutler thing didn't happen, and believe me if Danny wanted him bad enough he would have outbid the Bears.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok, the draft is on Saturday 4/25 I assume. What time does it start?

And can someone tell me what SJK is?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | April 16, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying Kiper is always right, my point is that with the history Danny boy has, there should rightfully be some anxiety of the whole Sanchez situation.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

vabeach, it starts at 4pm

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok, the draft is on Saturday 4/25 I assume. What time does it start?

And can someone tell me what SJK is?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | April 16, 2009 1:21 PM |

It starts at 4:00

sjk is a replacement for bad words.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 16, 2009 1:16 PM |

We can't pay him the money he is looking for, all the cap stratedy in the world would not work.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

sjk is a replacement for bad words.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I got that part, but what does it stand for? Its brief history?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | April 16, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

According to a bunch of reports (if I recall correctly, Peter King wrote on this in detail), Denver didn't want Campbell. They preferred Orton. Which made us trading for Cutler almost impossible (fortunately for us).

From my perspective, Campbell is the best of all 3 of those QBs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

draft usually starts early, like around 1, 2, or 3 PM

as for SJK

no clue

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, SJK - If Texas secedes from the union, and I move back to the DC area, will I be an illegal immigrant?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | April 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

It's tempting to take a LB with #13 and I'd almost be happy with Maulaluga for that pick - but not when considering having to face the Eagles with Samuels out with a sprained knee. Let alone Carolina, or NY.

Won't some OLBs become available as teams trim their rosters at the end of camp?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Whether or not Kiper is correct about us getting Sanchez, I think it is reasonable to assume that the FO would do something that foolish. The fact remains that if McDaniels was into Campbell we would now be into the Cutler era. Snyder did not pump his brakes on the Cutler deal, Chicago just happened to have a qb that they wanted.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Collinsworth had been named as Madden's replacement, fwiw.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | April 16, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

From my perspective, Campbell is the best of all 3 of those QBs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 1:26 PM |

We will see hopefully he shows it this year, Denver could have overlooked JC17 if enough picks were thrown in.

Orton is a 1 year stop gap for them, look for them to draft Sanchez if they can.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 16, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Stop the panic. In the end we've just got trust Danny and Vinnie to make a smart decision that helps the team the most. After all, they're the experts when it comes to player acquisition.

Posted by: mack1 | April 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"SJK" is blog friendly, you know, this being a "family" blog and all.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

mack
are you being facetious, because you cant be serious

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 16, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

I love the talk of Texas seceding. Because they've been so smart about electing their leaders. My question, if Texas secedes, is George Bush be termed out from running the nation of Texas?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

It stands for Sorry Jacks Kids..who saw some of the writings on the blogs and asked what the words meant

Posted by: Tyler84101 | April 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Are you serious or were you being sarcastic?

Posted by: ga8085 | April 16, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope Sanchez is long gone by pick 13. It's really a crying shame that a storied franchise such as these Washington Redskins who I have been a die hard fan of since the first Super Bowl year of 1972, has come to be owned and run by a stubborn, starstruck, immature, egomaniac who is intent on running things as if he's playing franchise mode in Madden, or playing fantasy football. Our O-line is old(Thomas,Jansen). Getting old(Samuels, Rabach). And this buffoon is enamored of a QB, Mark Sanchez who has a 50% chance of being a complete bust (he'll wind up being busted behind our current line). I'm sick of Dan Snyder! Step the hell back, hire a REAL GM, and let football folks run, and develop a winning football team to put on the field instead of this marathon of mediocrity, inconsistency, and ineptitude that we have been forced to witness since he has become owner!! Lord Help Us!!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | April 16, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think, or not think, a little more like flounder.

Posted by: mack1 | April 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh god - all of this talk of Texas seceding makes my head hurt - and the first thing those clowns will do is move the capital to Waco and burn down "The People's Republic of Austin"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | April 16, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

'...To me you take Orakpo here and call it a win...'

And if that happens, I'll be so happy, I'll slap my momma.

I'll buy Orakpo's University of Texas jersey and wear it to bed prior to MrsMoe telling me to leave her the F alone.

I'll give up my love of SEC college football and learn the history of something called the "Red River Rivalry."

I'll paint the family cat burgandy and gold, rename it 'Okra' and toss it at the tv when Orkapo gets his first sack of Tony Ho-Moe.

But why won't any of this happen, simple: I hate cats.

And Texas.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 16, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

psps23 I like the tier analysis. I don't agree w/ some of your ranking but I guess it's all gravy. Anyway, what amount of emphasis would you place on character? For example, if BJ Raji indeed tested positive for drugs use during the combine and he slides to #13 would you select him as the pick considering he's an elite talent?

Posted by: TWISI | April 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd select Orkapo if he were available at #13 and all the top OTs are off the board. He should be an effective SLB in a 4-3 scheme and could backup at RDE.

It looks less likely that Sanchez will be available for the Skins to trade back at #13, because plenty of teams picking ahead of the Skins also want to trade back...

Posted by: siris | April 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 16, 2009 1:16 PM

Dude - sure glad the Skins have a GM and it ain't you!

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Or what if the Lions take an OT first? And then try to trade up for Sanchez later...

Posted by: siris | April 16, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I used to feel bad about when the regulars on here bashed the hell out of JASNO, but damn... He does deserve it. His insider posts are always either old information, irrelevant, not informative, or plain old wasted space. How come he can't even get the names of players correct, and this whole post is just to create a place for us to blog. Nothing he said in this post made any sense at all. The scenario is stupid when your reading it. FYI - What you said IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN - we will be lucky to get Andre Smith, but I would love to see Everette Brown.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | April 16, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The lions are taking a tackle one of the guys we should be drafting...

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 16, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Dude - sure glad the Skins have a GM and it ain't you!

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have a GM? It's about flippin' time!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 16, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

From RI: "And let's say there is a run on offensive players in the top 12, with all four top tackles (Antone and Allen Smith, Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher) ...

It is highly unlikely that all 4 top OTs are off the board at 13. Even Antone and Allen Smith, whoever them 2 dudes is. After the top 2 OTs are gone, Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith, there is a big gap before you get to whoever the next 2 are.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 16, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

'....something that has not been talked about is what would be the draft ramifications if the Lions took Sanchez first and not Stafford...'

If I'm Martin Mayhew, I take the best offensive lineman--like the fins did last year--and draft a uarterback next year.

Or: I make a trade with the browns which results in me acquiring Brady Quinn: that way, I get a guy who's highly regarded, but don't have to pay as much, and has the same skill set as either Sanchez or Stafford.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 16, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Boldin is a lot like owens without the drama.Posted by: zcezcest1"

Larry Fitzgerald is a lot like the Owens of Philadelphia, without the drama.

Boldin is a bigger, faster Hines Ward.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 16, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | April 16, 2009 2:05 PM

They could do that. The Phins did something even stupider - they took Long and did not trade up for Ryan and Bill Parcells was in charge, a guy who should know better.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 16, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Mista moe
I hate cats and texas too!! But why would that stop you from throwing the cat at the tv?

Posted by: DG28 | April 16, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Boldin vs Moss:

Boldin last season: 11 starts, 89 receptions, 1038 yards, 11 TDs, 4 fumbles, 3 lost.

Moss last season: 16 starts, 79 receptions, 1044 yards, 6 TDs, 1 fumble lost.

Boldin career: 6 seasons, 77 starts, 540 catches, 6496 yards, 12.9 average, 40 TDs, 13 fumbles/lost 9.

Moss: 8 seasons, 91 starts, 430 receptions,
6541 yards, 15.2 yards average, 43 TDs, 16 fumbles/6 lost.

Those first seasons with the Jets, Moss didn't play much. Boldin was the number one receiver until Fitzgerald's emergence.

Anyway, they're pretty different receivers. Boldin's the quarterhorse, Moss the thoroughbred.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

IF Sanchez is gone at 12, I'm guessing the Broncos take Josh Freeman.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 16, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's my take on the Boldin thing. If we keep thirteen we should draft OL however if you look at last year it wasn't until samuels went down that our O started getting really bad. Samuels is the best player on the skins IF he can stay healthy we can make do with Jansen /Heyer for one more year. Trade number1 and a pick next year for Boldin and pick up some projects for the OL in the 3rd. Samuels for HOF

Posted by: DG28 | April 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

If you guys haven't seen Josh Freeman throw the ball, and a lot of people haven't, here's a clip against Oklahoma. Notice the throw is made rolling to his left.

Joe Flacco redux. Raw, erratic, but then so was Flacco.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 16, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | April 16, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

antone and Allen smith??

Let's now hypothetically say,

Let's say they is a run on defense and we trade down twice and draft stafford, sanchez, and j freeman then we trade all of them +Campbell Brennan and Collins for a top notch center fielder?!?

Does this guy really get paid for this?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

antone and Allen smith??

Let's now hypothetically say,

Does this guy really get paid for this?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

antone and Allen smith??

Let's now hypothetically say,

Does this guy really get paid for this?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I guess, but I know where they can find someone to do a much better job for a lot less than what he is getting I'm sure. this is sad. He could at least make it worth reading. I think he love to create a place for people to bash him. He comes out with $h1t like 4 days late or more and then write $h1t like this....

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | April 16, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm jenkins is overrated.

and I'm not buying the interest in Mauluga.

Posted by: Veretax | April 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I like antone and Allen smith

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should tell the military that two pirates (Danny and Vinny) have taken our Franchise hostage and that all reasonable negotiation has been stalled...

Posted by: moosepod | April 16, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

wow...you are an idiot JLa....Andre Smith is beter than Oher, owners know that...do you just read tabloids or something? also, tell me you were joking with the Smith names, b/c if not, that is ignorant and you should be fired b/c you are the laziest most terrible beat writer ever.

Posted by: kpayn17 | April 16, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

This is all speculation, and you're liable to have a heart attack.>>>

hmmmm.....do I really have to list ALL the dumb mistakes the Danny and his sidekick have made over the past 10 years? I absolutely agree with skinsfan on this one. I'm not sure that they've learned anything.

Posted by: carocanesfan | April 16, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Antone and Allen Smith...classik JCL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 16, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Should have quoted thus:

-----------------------------------------
That's what I was responding to....

Posted by: carocanesfan | April 16, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This team DOES NOT NEED A WIDE RECEIVER , QUARTERBACK, OR CORNERBACK !!!!!!!!SANCHEZ IS NOT THE ANSWER DANNY!!!!!!!!

THIS TEAM NEEDS A BEAST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN, AND A BEAST DEFENSIVE END OR LINEBACKER THAT CAN START DAY ONE YES WE NEED TO START A YOUNG ENERGETIC ROOKIE WITH A PASSION FOR THE GAME AND A MEAN STREAK CAN YOU HEAR ME DANNY, DAM ITS NOT THAT HARD

FACING THE GIANTS IN GIANT STADIUM IS NOT INTIMIDATING WITH A NEW COACH AND A NEW SYSTEM WE DID WELL LAST YEAR BUT I SAY GRAB THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN AVAILABLE AT 13 EVEN IF IT IS ANDRE SMITH, HELL WE HAVE VETERANS ON THIS TEAM AND ALABAMA ALUMS THAT CAN TUTOR HIM AND LOOK OUT FOR HIM, HE IS RATED ONE OF THE BEST TACKLES ON THE FIELD REGARDLESS OF HIS IMMATURITY, REMEMBER WHEN SEAN TAYLOR WAS FIRST DRAFTED HE DID A LOT OF IMMATURE THINGS BUT HIS AZZ PRODUCED ON SUNDAY!!

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | April 16, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Steer clear of Andre Smith.

The last thing the Redskins need is another head case.

We didn't get any productivity out of the 2008 draft, the team can't allow that to happen again in 2009.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 16, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If none of the top 4 OT's are available at 13, and we can't trade down, I'd be happy with OT Britton. Normally I don't like reaching for need, but he's already projected from late teens to early twenties in the first round in many mocks. We CANNOT, and I repeat, CANNOT, go into this year without an upgrade at LT, unless Jansen finds the fountain of youth.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 16, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I meant RT, but Britton is projected as having good LT potential as well.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 16, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Picking Sanchez would be just plain retarded, due the pressing needs else where when we already have a franchise QB and a unproven gunslinger in Colt Brennan. I just hope Dan Synder doesn't muff this one up also!!

Posted by: firemanj74 | April 17, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 16, 2009 7:54 PM |
==========================================
I prefer Connecticut's William Beatty to Eben Britton, myself.

But drafting either would mean we've done something smarter than draft Sanchez.
~