CP Update (and other injuries, too)

Portis will be working on his conditioning and strengthening the area around his swollen right knee for the time being. Would be very surprising if he were to practice anytime before next Monday and Bubba Tyer, director of sports medicine, laughed when someone suggested Clinton might participate in the scrimmage Saturday in Baltimore.

No way they're going to risk anything there.

So it's a setback, but, the Redskins say, a minor setback and something not uncommon for a football player trying to get back into full playing shape after a lengthy absence due to tendinitis. Once Portis started cutting and turning and exposing the knee to contact, the knee was aggravated and discomfort set in.

There is no set timetable for a return, Bubba said, but he expects it to be a matter of "days" for Clinton to get back, and not "weeks."

Also, WR Santana Moss is being watched ever so closely (I blogged about this a while back when they signed Corey Bradford). There is some concern about lingering groin/hip problems and his workload is being curtailed a bit. Bubba said that Santana has been experiencing discomfort in his groin, based on him compensating. Moss missed much of the offseason with the groin/hip problem. "He feels like he's compensating a little bit on his leg, so he's got a soreness in his groin instead of the hip flexor/abdominal area (which he hurt this offseason. I asked specifically if Santana had been compensating for discomfort in his hamstring - a problem with him going back several years - and Bubba said that Santana was compensating for "his leg in general, the other part, the hip flexor." Could be a case where they rest him in the scrimmage as well.

Obviously, we'll keep this on our radar.

And by "we" I mean, me, 'cause ... You picked a fine time to leave me, Howard/ Four injured starters, a mess in the backfield. Just me and an intern/while you take a star-turn. But that ESPN money's for real. (Shout out to The Gambler there, and seriously, Howard, you will be missed. Loved working with you. His last day was yesterday. Now I'm writing for two).

Okay, back to the injury stuff:

Marcus Washington watched the morning practice, but will be full go for the session tonight at 7, Bubba said.

Randy Thomas is still taking limited work but making good progress. Again, don't expect to see him in B-more. Mike Espy took a pretty good knock on his left knee and is still a few days away, Bubba said, so I'd scratch him from B-more, too. Obviously, Samuels is out (rookie Stephon Heyer was still with the first team O Line this morning; Wade still toggling between the first and second team with Whitticker and Fabini getting some first-team reps at guard as well).

Rookie LB Dallas Sartz was back out there this morning, but rookie TE Tyler Ecker remains out with a groin strain and the length of that injury is doing the 7th-round pick no favors. Fullback Pete Schmitt, who was opening some eyes in the first week of camp, remains out with a left shoulder injury. WR Carl Berman has a hamstring strain. Baby Rocco, by the way, is day-to-day with a mean case of drooling (think he's starting to teethe), Lauren is on the 60-day DL with sleep depravation and Chloe Jane is happily oblivious to it all, quickly memorizing the entire "Sound of Music" catalog.(I grew up with one younger brother so I missed all of this stuff the first time around).

So, overall the Skins went really light this morning. Practice barely lasted an hour. Now, in the past, even when the Skins were running less physical camps (and trust me thus far it's been nothing close to August with Marty out here) the 7 pm practices in full pads were generally the truth, when heads were crackin. I figure that could be the case tonight, especially when they didn't even go 90 minutes this morning.

Also, word is that your bloggy favorite - Sean Taylor "The Grim Reaper, Meast, Manimal, Swoop, The Punter Debunker" (okay I made that last one up on the fly) is going to speak to us media schlubs at 1:15, but that's not written in stone. Sean hasn't done a public group session in a long, long time and has done maybe 5 full press briefings since he came in the league in 2004, so it should be interesting. Will pass along the highlights on the blog if this thing actually goes down.

Alright, going to grab some lunch now. Keep cool out there in the sun and stay classy, Redskins Nation.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 1, 2007; 11:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis's Tendinitis Returns
Next: Fear The Reaper, Just Not Today

Comments

Jasno,

What is the best news that you've heard from camp? It all seems pretty downbeat.

Posted by: KK | August 1, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

How's Carson's little brother looking?

Posted by: skinswest | August 1, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nolan Davis | August 1, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like we need a bye week already.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

To carry over from the last post;

"No NFL safety -- not Ronnie Lott, not Ed Reed, nor even Troy Polamalu, who signed an extension last week that included $15 million worth of guaranteed money -- ever signed a deal with more guarantees than the one Landry landed from Washington."

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?

Posted by: dcsween | August 1, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I belieev that rookies need a salary cap.

Also:

JaMarcuss Russel will get more gaurenteed monies than what Marc Bulger received. That is crazy.

Institute a cap now!

Posted by: 4th | August 1, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I belieev that rookies need a salary cap.

Also:

Institute a cap now!

Posted by: 4th | August 1, 2007 11:56 AM

Couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous to pay these guys more money than the best players at their position when they haven't even set foot on the field yet.

Posted by: Hmmm... | August 1, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the camp's toughness...

I saw Gibbs interviewed in mini-camp and he made it sound like it was the preseason games they're treating differently (or more aggressively, seriously, whatever you want to call it) this year and not the training camp practices.

He got a little touchy when a reporter suggested the camp would be tougher. He said that wasn't true.

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | August 1, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

There already is a rookie cap. It can obvoiusly be bypassed by bonuses and such in the following years of the contract.

But this was why the 'skins couldn't trade out of the 6th spot.

Let's just hope the LaRon is worth it all.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 1, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

At least the D-line appears to be healthy along with Shawn Springs. Who'd a thunk it?

Posted by: Knock on wood | August 1, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

How tough can you make a camp when half your starters are so injury prone? The lineman seem particularly susceptible. Marty was crazy. But then he was stupid enough to try to hire his brother as defensive coordinator in San Diego as he did here. It didn't go over very well there as they apparently remembered Marty's Redskins debacle.

Posted by: periculum | August 1, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I am really not worried about CP. Now Moss is the one I am starting to worry about.

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Stay Classy"? Jasno, this blog, with the exception of a select few, drinks Bud, ML, Coors......unless it's in a crystal goblet, no way is it classy.
And even then, it's debatable.

Posted by: mile high | August 1, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Stay Classy" - Nice Anchorman reference there!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I like lamp.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

- My God, what is that smell?
- That is the smell of desire, my lady.
- Oh God no, it smells like a used diaper filled with Indian food.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Geez if we keep this up there won't be a blog come the opener cause most of us will be swinging from the 14th Street bridge or will have gone off the grid in the Blue Ridge Mountains or will be curled up under our desks in the fetal positions sucking our thumbs or some combination therein.

I am committing to not panicking until October. Although the Moss situation does give me a very very very long pause.

Posted by: sfskin | August 1, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

What? You pooped in the fridge? And you ate the whole wheel of cheese? Heck, I'm not even mad. That's amazing!

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I hate you, Jason La Canfora, I hate you!

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 1, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Baby BLOG.

Thanks Jasno...you're playing hurt and need a backup.

Art imitates life.

Posted by: Stumped | August 1, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

One time I ate some pink insulation. It wasn't cotton candy like the guy told me it was. Now my tummy itches.

Posted by: Brick Tamland | August 1, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

What's the point of waiting to panic in October? The gray skies descend upon us and the chill of autumn lingers like a used bathrobe. I say we panic right now when we have sunshine and bikinis to cheer us up. Get it all over with. A deep cleanse. A 'Skins Enema, if you will.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice clothes, Jason. I didn't know the Salvation Army was having a sale.

Am I right? Am I right? Look at this guy!

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 1, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Skins' starters are so old that most of these injuries are covered by Medicare.

Posted by: KK | August 1, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

All concerned.

If you haven't seen it, go back and check out that link posted by Jason Campbell on the previous thread.

JC needs to sign an ABM treaty.

Posted by: Stumped | August 1, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

All right, ladies and gents...

August 1, 2006 at 1:46 pm, Jasno posted the first ever RI thread. The down-to-the-minute anniversary will be at 1:46 pm today, August 1, 2007.

Right now we're sitting at about 68,885. Why don't we try for, say... 69K?

115 in the next hour and 15. Let's do it.

Posted by: MV Dame | August 1, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Public News Team is taking a break from its pledge drive to kick some ass. No commercials, no mercy.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

That Youtube clip is as fake as my boobies (SJK).

Posted by: Pamela Anderson | August 1, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Take a glass of ML and compare it to regular Bud... see which is darker.

Posted by: Zebra | August 1, 2007 09:08 AM

Flag on the play Zebra.

This is like saying which paint is whiter - bright white or extra white?

Mind you I'm a beer snob although I do like m some MGD at the ballpark.

Posted by: sfskin | August 1, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Should we switch over to Spaceballs quotes?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Panda Watch. The mood is tense; I have been on some serious, serious reports but nothing quite like this. I uh... Ching... King is inside right now. I tried to get an interview with him, but they said no, you can't do that he's a live bear, he will literally rip your face off.

Posted by: Brian Fantana | August 1, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Um I think it means "Saint" Diego.

Posted by: sfskin | August 1, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

142 is the magic number. We hit that, we hit 69K...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 1, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

muga; sorry had to run to the dr's for the kid;

No, I love cold canadian beer. I really cant stomach the hoppiness that tastes like burnt grundle hair that is the lager style beer. I will hit up a Sam's in the winter time occasionally. Heiniken is the absolute worst beer I have ever tasted (cue SMACK)

So you can poopoo my choice of beer, but the real thinig to judge (or throw a flag on me for) is the old no.7 that i SJK out every 3 to 4 days.

Posted by: Zebra | August 1, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're steeped in nostalgia, what are your favorite RI blog conversations of all time?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

She gives good helmet.

Posted by: Spaceballs | August 1, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I like my beer like I like my women: Black and Tan. (Wait, can a white guy really say that?) LMGO

Posted by: 4-12 | August 1, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Actually, sfskin, I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"But As I said, my drink of choice is Jack, and I will put money on it I can drink more of that than most people."

I'd love to take you up on that bet.

Posted by: Fellow Jack Drinker | August 1, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Viscount P Diddy (and shouldn't that be Diddington or Diddingsworth or something like that?), that would have to be the hemmy blog.

Posted by: dcsween | August 1, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This is T$ts McGhee. Thanks for watching. Stay Classy San Diego.

Posted by: sfskin | August 1, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

BBP (Baby Brother Palmer) looks, how shall I say it? ... not so good. yikes, even.

Como esta beeeeytches? Tonight's top story - The sewers run red with Burgundy's blood.

Most underrated line in the entire movie:

"Man, that escalated quickly ... It really jumped up a notch. It did, didn't it."

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 1, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I said across her nose, not up it!

(what is the hemmy blog?)

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Who is bold enough to go and find the hemmy conversation? I'd like to take a trip down memory lane.

MV don't you have your house wall papered in the RI blog?

Posted by: sfskin | August 1, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

-I will take your mother out to a nice seafood dinner and NEVER call her again!

-Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

60% of the time, it works.. every time

Posted by: Zebra | August 1, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people
Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
News Station Employee: Smells like Bigfoot's dick.

SJK!!!

Posted by: Zebra | August 1, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It's a formidable scent. I'm gonna be honest with you, Brian, that smells like pure gasoline.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"The Punter Debunker"

Jason I love it

Posted by: Dante | August 1, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

My drink is Old E. Do they even sell that anymore?

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

KK- Best news of camp so far? Just saw this sign in the media room: PIZZA TONIGHT IN THE MEDIA ROOM 6:00 PM
seriously.
I'd invite you guys all over for the free grub, but they almost didnt let Howard in the parking lot yesterday, so I don't think anyone without a press credential stands a chance against Skins security.

What is the hemmy conversation? How did I miss that?

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 1, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

GREAT STUFF JASON....

Randy Thomas
Chris Samuels
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis

It's gonna be another long season.

Posted by: RANDO | August 1, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgundy: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Champ Kind: It jumped up a notch.
Ron Burgundy: It did, didn't it?

Brick Tamland: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.

Ron Burgundy: I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

Brick Tamland: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

Ron Burgundy: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Veronica Corningstone: Excuse me.
Ron Burgundy: What are you doing?
Veronica Corningstone: I need this machine so I can watch a tape for a story.
Ron Burgundy: I'm using the tape. I'm showing Jeffrey my Emmy tape. We are watching history.
Veronica Corningstone: Mr. Burgundy, I'm a professional, and I would like to be able to do my job.
Ron Burgundy: Big deal. I am very professional.
Veronica Corningstone: Mr. Burgundy, you are acting like a baby.
Ron Burgundy: I'm not a baby, I am a man. I am an anchorman.
Veronica Corningstone: You are not a man. You are a big fat joke.
Ron Burgundy: I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science.
Veronica Corningstone: I will have you know that I have more talent and more intelligence in my little finger than you do in your entire body, sir.
Ron Burgundy: You are a smelly pirate hooker.
Veronica Corningstone: You look like a blueberry.
Ron Burgundy: Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Veronica Corningstone: Well, you have bad hair.
Ron Burgundy: [insulted] What did you say?
Veronica Corningstone: I said... your hair... looks stupid.

REMEMBER, ITS SCIENCE

Posted by: Zebra | August 1, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgundy: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.
Veronica Corningstone: Really.
Ron Burgundy: People know me.
Veronica Corningstone: Well, I'm very happy for you.
Ron Burgundy: I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Posted by: Zebra | August 1, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 1, 2007 12:43 PM

Thanks JLaC. Hopefully just early training camp nerves. How about the others, Bramlet in particular?

Posted by: skinswest | August 1, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Champ Kind: Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I sh$t a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a sh&t covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Brick Tamland: O, I'm sorry champ, I think I ate your chocolate squirrel.

Posted by: SJK | August 1, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

No prob Zebra, more for Heineken for me. And I think I have forfeited my right to argue about taste up here.

Posted by: SMACK | August 1, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the hemmy conversation about someone pinching off the roid to help relieve the pain of hamstring issues. Or somesortofsomething.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 1, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to go look for it, but SOMEONE who is a long time poster (I think) posted under the name "hemmy" for a while and explained how by squeezing his hemmy relieved his lower back pain ... something to correlate lower back nerves and nerves around the ... the ... elsewhere.

Squeezing the hemmy was a blog term for a while, but I forgot what it ultimately was meant to signify.

Posted by: dcsween | August 1, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

damnit i think im getting cut

Posted by: say it so so ade jimoh | August 1, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | August 1, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

B-ben, yes, hamstring not lower back. Its all coming back now. It was around the time some player (Santana?) was having hammy problems.

Posted by: dcsween | August 1, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

with all the injuries i still may make this god awful team

Posted by: say it aint so ade jimoh | August 1, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

hemmy conversation=punsAlot

Posted by: dealer | August 1, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

dcsween you got most of it right. But the person started out stating that hemmey happen do to working out and if it every happened to me.

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

AEE Returns
AEE's latest. Have at him, people.

Achy Breaky Offseason

Man, where do we even start? Its been such a long time since we all sat down and had a nice chat. Tell you what! We'll do this bullet style to cover a wide array of topics.

·The Landry draft pick: I really don't have a problem with it. Especially if they find themselves one more DT who can be rotated in, or start in a pinch if an injury happens. I do still agree with Jason though, that we probably should have taken the best D-linemen who was on the board still. However, it seems like LL is a good kid, a hard worker, and based on G-Will's statements, he'll be a starter very soon. So, that's cool.

·The rumors that Sean Taylor isn't at OTA's because he wants a new contract. I think I half believe that. I think he wants a new deal, I don't think that's the reason he's not at OTA's. If he can stay out of trouble and works out in Miami, then I don't care. But with his agent, you know they've asked about more money. Especially now that his partner in the secondary will be making more than him. So, that's probably a half truth.

·Blaylock or Cartwright? Is this actually a question? I think its easy to see what's going on here. Last year they went into the preseason with 3 RB's and the main-man went down. Then they panicked and traded for Duckett. This year they are doing the smart thing. Rock has found his roll as a kick returner and on coverage with special teams. Blaylock should be the #3 RB because he's an average performer (actually a good performer in Saunders system) and he can block. So, this was a smart move, and showed some thinking ahead.

·Back to the draft. I am still alittle shocked they didn't take at least ONE D-linemen on the second day. Especially with the luck they had last year. But, that doesn't mean I'm not happy with the Linebackers they took. I think they were good picks. Especially Blades who I think will be starting in 3 years or so. He'll be Fletcher Jr.....I hope. The Jordan Palmer pick was curious. But with a season learning from these coaches, and maybe a trip to Europe next spring, he might be a good project. With Bramlet doing well in Europa, and already having Marky Mark and Collins on the roster, it's a tight squeeze. But I think all this pretty much makes sure the Collins is gone. I think Bramlet and Palmer fight for the #3 gig. The loser goes to the practice squad (Unless Bramlet can't do that again). I know a lot of people like Sammy from UMD. Look, I'm a Terp too. But, I didn't think he was that good at Maryland. I think he has CFL/AFL in his future. Maybe he can play hoops in Israel with John Gilchrist.

·Lastly, There has been a cult of JLC-Heads growing on his blog site. So, I am throwing this out there. http://nflforums.com/forums/ is a nearly dead fan site. I suggest the fans of JLC and the Skins join up and take over the spot. Not to suggest that places like ES, Thehogs and others are fine locations. They really are. You can go to ES and get updated rumors on Campbells ego, or go to Thehogs and debate what they are doing with the 75th anniversary uni's. But, this place is there for the taking. Lets turn it in to something cool and take over the joint.

·Ok, now that I said it, I was reminded of my last topic. What's the deal with the 75th Anniversary? Philly and Pittsburgh are doing something also. They already brought out their Alt-uni's for the season. I am very surprised that all we've seen is a logo. So, big props to whoever can find that answer, and maybe post it on http://nflforums.com/forums/ for the rest of us to see. Maybe if we're lucky. Jason will join the site and get into the debates with us.

Either way, I hope everybody enjoys the mild weather out there.

Ciao

-AEE

By Jason La Canfora | May 11, 2007; 8:00 AM ET
Previous: Our Favorite Guest Blogger Is Back | Next: Shawn Springs

CommentsPlease email us to report offensive comments.

Cool post

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 08:05 AM

Sweet! I like to call that a "1st block"

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 08:07 AM

AEE--I'm probably slow, but I don't understand the point of why we should take over http://nflforums.com/forums/. What's the point? What's wrong with this blog?

Posted by: KK | May 11, 2007 08:17 AM

Nice work, chris Larry.

Nice work, AEE.

Here's to a happy day on the blog, and a happy Friday in general, after the shabingus up here yesterday.

I was so giddy with the thought of having something non-political (courtesy of JustMe on the last thread) to comment on that I mistook Randle El for Lloyd. Good stuff.

HAIL

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | May 11, 2007 08:18 AM

I think AEE's point was something like, let's take this show on the road. We RI hardcore can start roaming the internet countryside, laying claim to bigger territory, like a general fan forum on none other than the NFL site itself. I think that's the idea.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | May 11, 2007 08:19 AM

Though it's not an official NFL site, I see now. But it IS a league-wide fan site, which I think was the point.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | May 11, 2007 08:20 AM

Nate,

Do you think we could count posts on the other site toward our 100K?

My own concern is that the wider audience might invite more haters. Yesterday was bad enough with our own home-grown, and I'm not sure we could maintain a civil discourse with Eagles fans, Jets fans, etc. You'd definitely have to post under "He Nate Me."

Posted by: KK | May 11, 2007 08:25 AM

Nice post. By the way, Joe must go!

One last year of 6-10 and then it's time for Ron Rivera or Bill Cowher. So saddle up and let's concentrate on beating the 'Boys and splitting with the Giants and Eagles, and we'll call it good for '07 and then say goodbye to the spaced-out cowboys.

Posted by: Montana'Skins Fan | May 11, 2007 08:26 AM

Would a 'Skins fan who remembers Gibbs I provide us with perspective on whether or not his Superbowl teams had voluntary camp holdouts? Did Gibbs I have any no-shows?

Has Gibbs II lost respect, or is it a "new breed" of player that doesn't respect any authority?

Posted by: disappointed | May 11, 2007 08:26 AM

KK-

The point is that its an empty forum where you can start threads on different topics (or JLC blogs), and keep them going. If we're lucky. Jason will post there alittle also.

-AEE

Posted by: AEE | May 11, 2007 08:28 AM

Good post AAE. Well said.

FYI, the ITA from yesterday posted again this am on the last thread, with an admission.

Posted by: NewDad | May 11, 2007 08:29 AM

good post

Posted by: Alexander | May 11, 2007 08:33 AM

AEE's got a point. King and Banks and Z and lots of other "national" reporters have such an obvious hate on for the Skins, no matter what we do. IT REALLY BUGS ME. Maybe what AEE is saying is, let's try to claim a little space in a more public place, and shift the balance a little. King's only comment about the Skin's draft was, "Gee. Maybe Snyder actually learned something this year." $#@-hole. Maybe the Skins actually had a good draft? Maybe Landry and the Reaper (Pain and Suffering?) are gonna be the nastiest safety tandem in the league?

Posted by: sieskani | May 11, 2007 08:36 AM

Check this, on SI today, from Bucky Brooks:

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

How will the addition of LaRon Landry improve the Redskins weak pass rush?

Landry teams with Pro Bowler Sean Taylor to give the Skins arguably the best safety tandem in the NFL. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams loves to bring pressure from all angles and now has more options with Landry and Taylor possessing the same set of skills in the back end.

Posted by: sieskani | May 11, 2007 08:40 AM

sieskani,

You know, when I read that quote from King my thought was "This is the most positive thing he's ever said about Snyder. The tide is turning." Also, in the run-up to the draft he had a few tidbits that indicated he'd been talking with Snyder which, again, seemed like a change. I haven't seen any outright Skin/Snyder-contempt in his writing recently.

Zimmerman, Banks, Pasquarelli, though are completely unreformed. None of them has gotten beyond Jeff George.

Posted by: KK | May 11, 2007 08:44 AM

I believe it's a new breed of player and the league in general that's causing the guys to miss OTA's. I don't think there were voluntary workouts the first time around but things are different now.

The NFL is a 365 day job whereas before when the guys took the summer off they weren't working out full time and staying in shape like they do now. Not to say they sat on the couch everyday with a bag of Cheetos, but you know what I mean. By working out every day all year long and not going away to training camp (like I think they should) it's more of a day-in, day-out job.

I don't think they miss it like they used to after an offseason. They're always on the clock now. Getting stuck in a dorm with few amenities for a month and a half in the summer makes the guys get to know each other and bond. What else is there to do? I think it would do wonders for team chemistry to get back to that.

Build up the team bond and I doubt there will be no-shows at OTAs because guys will feel like they're letting the team down when they aren't there.

The thing is, this isn't really news. Someone always misses the OTA's and the coaches always say the same thing: "We're just gonna focus on the players who are here."

Posted by: [cc] | May 11, 2007 08:46 AM

If Skins fans are lucky, Landry will teach Taylor how to actually tackle as opposed to throwing his body at people.

Posted by: maruk | May 11, 2007 08:46 AM

Its easy. There is a thread on this blog. there can be a thread on every blog.

Just give it a chance. If you hate it, then whatever. But, its worth taking a look at. I think the message board format with JLC maybe dropping in, would be sweet.

Posted by: AEE | May 11, 2007 08:48 AM

Sorry, AEE I don't really see the point. But even more so, that site is blocked by my work's firewall.

Posted by: gethanr13 | May 11, 2007 08:54 AM

To each their own.

Thought I'd try to put something together for everybody.

Posted by: AEE | May 11, 2007 08:57 AM

For those who haven't see it, How Bry basically summed up the state of the Redskins today in the WP:

"With Sean Taylor, I've had no contact whatsoever," Gibbs said. "I'm not aware of anything there. That's about all I can say about it. I've had no contact."

Taylor's discomfort, teammates said, was exacerbated last season when the Redskins refused a $1.5 million raise to safety Ryan Clark -- Taylor's best friend on the team, who signed with Pittsburgh as a free agent in March 2006 -- but instead signed free agent safety Adam Archuleta to a six-year, $30 million deal with $10 million guaranteed, a record contract for a safety. The Redskins traded Archuleta to Chicago in March for a sixth-round draft pick. In addition, the Redskins drafted Louisiana State safety LaRon Landry with the sixth overall pick in the draft on April 28. Being a top 10 pick, Landry could command as much as $15 million in guaranteed money.

That the Redskins potentially could spend a combined $25 million in guaranteed money to replace Clark, all before Taylor receives a new contract, is a primary source of his displeasure, said his teammates, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Taylor largely was considered the linchpin of the defense after the Redskins made him their No. 1 draft pick in 2004.

These 2-3 paragraphs are enough to make you want to head north to Baltimore and never come back. Look at the compounding effect that decision has had, and continues to HAVE RIGHT NOW. Look at Smoot, which left us WITH a horrible, dumb, high on himself CB in Carlos Rogers instead of Merriman. Look at Pierce, which left us with average to poor play at MLB for 2 years, only now to sign Fletcher for more bonus money at 32-33 years of age.

Those 3 guys were the definition of core Redskins, which is why I never want to hear Gibby mutter that phrase ever again UP HERE. And don't say we didn't have the money because if we didn't make awful decisions before that off-season we would have had the money.

Ultimately, we were 5-11 last year, and take away the '05 playoff fluke appearance it now appears to be, this team is a flat out joke. Everyone knows this but the blind homer fans and 3 other people... Gibby the clown, Vinny the bug eyed freak, and Napolean the owner.

But hey, after 5-11, "we're definitely going about things the right way UP HERE".

Buh... what... huh???????

Cue the circus music again, JLa. It's OTA/Circus time and Gibby, Vinny, Napolean and Bozo are back in the ring conducting the show.

Posted by: | May 11, 2007 08:59 AM

In regards to the NFL forums, I'm in. Looking at the way you're required to register, it may stop these anonymous posters from causing issues.

Posted by: kost52 | May 11, 2007 09:13 AM

Anon - For what it's worth, the Skins at least now have a stable coaching staff for once. For a while there, we rolled through Coaches, O-coordinators, D-coordinators, etc. All of those changes brought new schemes, new practice regimes, different plays which made it rough on players and hard for the offense and defense to click. Hence, no titles let alone few winning seasons. I think that was the main reason Lavar didn't succeed here, he had to learn a different defense just about every season he was here, and you tact on his injuries. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that we need to let this season play out before we criticize the FO again. A full offseason with JC working with the first team, a second year for the 700-page playbook, a mostly intact defense from last year, and the same coaching staff (minus Dale L).

Posted by: CC | May 11, 2007 09:22 AM

CC - You're right, and let's not forget that this will be the first time Soup has played 2 seasons in the same offense, he played in four different offensive schemes in his four years in college!

Posted by: kost52 | May 11, 2007 09:24 AM

Uh,Chris Larry,seems to me that the folks making decisions over at Ashburn should astound you with their decision to bring these players in here.

Posted by: dawglbs | May 11, 2007 09:34 AM

Marvin Harrison said it best.."they pay me to practice, I play on sundays" Marvin's a pretty good NFL player don't you think.

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 09:45 AM

SOOOO...

Nehiemaih is out for the season - Open roster spot to keep Rock on the team......

Posted by: ES | May 11, 2007 09:53 AM

Whatever dawgibs (what does that mean?) I am going to stay on the Up With People vibe today. I guess my point is those of you who wonder where the players "loyalty" and "heart" and "commitment" are just don't seem to realize the cold hearted buisness nature of pro sports, the leverage the teams have over players and the physical brutality of the game and why that would make players fight for every cent. So are these guys bad dudes always or are they protecting their interests?

Their were no OTA's in Gibbs Mach I and dudes held out all the time. Riggins sat out a whole year and was welcomed back with open arms, Butz skipped the first 3 weeks of training camp on principal. Were these guys selfish punks, did Gibbs cutb them on principal? No they worked it out, moved on and won superbowls.

I too, thought it was some huge karmatic indicator when last year we had 100 percent involvement in the off season stuff and that it would build team unity, and that Gibbs was rewarding them with a later camp.....well guess what it backfired. We learned training camp trumps OTA always, that the guys were burned out from to much offseason, some dudes resented not being able to do their own thing (and I am talkin' "classy" dudes like Daniels) and that the 600 playbook was still not internalized. And our friendly hard hitting enigma was stunted even though he was a good soldier.

I am just sayin....

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 09:55 AM

"guess my point is those of you who wonder where the players "loyalty" and "heart" and "commitment" are just don't seem to realize the cold hearted buisness nature of pro sports, the leverage the teams have over players and the physical brutality of the game and why that would make players fight for every cent. So are these guys bad dudes always or are they protecting their interests?"

CL - You don't think players realize the potential ramifications of playing Pro football before they sign up? They know they can get hurt and their career can vanish before their eyes. They know trades happen, players get cut, etc. Players are employed by the owner, so why shouldn't a team have leverage over a player??? If a player can't handle this business, then they should haven't signed up to play. Owners aren't in a business to make everybody a millionaire, they are in the business for themselves and ulitmately to WIN RINGS.

Posted by: CC | May 11, 2007 10:08 AM

Ok sure....

I am a labor guy I guess I have a different perspective...

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 10:10 AM

Making a mad sprint across the blog yelling F Chris Larry. lol

Posted by: jm220 | May 11, 2007 10:13 AM

CL - I don't totally disagree with you. I know players want to make money before they end up out of football, but they also need to earn their paycheck is all I'm saying.

Posted by: CC | May 11, 2007 10:16 AM

why even have OTA's? 100% participation last year, yeah see where that got them. It's good that only two players don't show up to voluntary work outs maybe that will show Gibbs who is just the president of football operations a 3x superbowl winner, HOF coach, and let's face it the only coach in the history of the redskins, show Mr. Gibbs to pay up! Show the other 99% jokers that include new FA, rookie class, returning starters that team chemistry is overated and talent level allows individuals to alienate teamates and coaches. That should promote a winning season and quite possibly This joes gibbs character best and last year as Coach sustaining his complete lack of accomidation to todays game and athlete...wouldn't that be nice.

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 10:20 AM

I had forgotten about Riggins sitting out for that year! I guess there were always and always will be guys who just don't go to OTA's/Camp. However, I still think guys can/will play for the team and not just themselves. It is a cold-hearted business but in the end it's still 53 guys going against 53 guys and if the team atmosphere meant nothing then we wouldn't always hear the "going to war" soundbytes from the players. There's no doubt they should take care of their personal interests but it is possible to do it without hurting the team atmosphere.

Posted by: [cc] | May 11, 2007 10:22 AM

I don't want to upset anybody, but I'm tired of hearing (reading) people conplaining about Pierce or Clark not sticking around. This is old news, and all the whinning isn't going to change anything, plus I think now with LFB and L2 we are better off at both positions. And Smoot wanted more money than he was worth, now that he realized that he came back with a more reasonable contract.

I think the 2 players that are missing OTAs is not that big of a deal, and Chris Larry's post helps put that in perspective. But if the Reaper wants more money, then give it to him with a few more years on his contract. He didn't have the best year last year, but was light years better than everybody else on the defense.

Posted by: gethanr13 | May 11, 2007 10:23 AM

JM, you weren't streaking were you? If so, I hope Lisa didn't miss it!

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | May 11, 2007 10:28 AM

Yes, I like LF pick up and smoot too coming back I believe the chemistry will on defense will be like it was. Tackling was a major problem but we adressed that with LF and L2, moveing LM to weakside, but damn Pierce was and is in NY, good and home grown but se la vi.

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 10:31 AM

As someone living in nyc, i caught a good bit of blaylock on the jets last year....and he stinks. Just terrible, he basically got the ball and ran straight ahead, no vision, no moves.....Cedric Houston was much better, as was Barlow and Leon Washington. Maybe it's the system, but Nemo Broughton or Rock seem to be at least as good options, although someone said Nemo is already out for the year, great.....

There has to be a cheaper option out there

Posted by: Jon | May 11, 2007 10:31 AM

JM220 puts some pants on fer christs sake....

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 10:31 AM

Gethanr13, while I applaud your attempt to give perspective to the Pierce and Clark situations, you're going to be hard pressed to make any head-way on this issue. People would rather bury their head in the sand, and piss and moan about a player(Pierce) who openly takes shots at this team every chance he gets, than deal with it, and REALIZE ITS BEEN 3 YEARS!!!

Move on.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | May 11, 2007 10:33 AM

While your running JM220 do you have time to pick me up a pork chop, a bag of weed and any chick in a halter top from the quad. While your at get a wheat grass shake for yourself....

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 10:35 AM

JM220, make that 2 of what chris larry order, but you can hold the pork chop

Posted by: gethanr13 | May 11, 2007 10:41 AM

LMGO! CL you are straight crazy my brother. I just wanted to bring back some positive energy to our home. It looks like it worked.

Posted by: jm220 | May 11, 2007 10:42 AM

Seems to me - based on comments made by Doc Walker on 980 just now - Gibbs should have just said "I want to talk about the players who are here." There are OTA no shows all over the league but the other coaches are not commenting on them - remember Parcells from last season regarding TO? Gibbs tried to address the question honestly and now the media is saying he is out of touch with his players. Give it a break!

Posted by: Lisa | May 11, 2007 10:44 AM

Lisa - Amen to that!

Posted by: gethanr13 | May 11, 2007 10:50 AM

poop.

No one has said that in a while ... and I haven't been here in a while ... I'm just saying ... poop.

I peeked in yesterday and loving the cL tirade. Looks like a Heckler maybe got heckled. Nice. And I say this with all sincerity, F chris Larry (but in a good way?).

My only thought over the past few days reading is the same worker-side view as cL. If Sean Taylor avoids the Commissioner grabbing for jm220's blog hammer (or more accurately, avoids getting caught), fine. See you at mandatory camp.

When I was in college, one of my roommates was the third string kicker (complete turd). He was talking about a cafeteria scene where teammate Lorenzo White (113 yards and 2 TDs in 1998 Rose Bowl) was ONLY eating cake. Cake, cake, more cake. No protein, etc. Night before a game. He said to Lorenzo, "Dude, don't you think you should be eating something a little better
for you?" Lorenzo looked up (third string kicker?), dead pan response, "You look after yourself. I look after myself." Nuff said.

Didn't hear about Nemo getting hurt. Too bad. Also good to see good guys on the Skins getting competition. Now if only they could bring in some competition at DE (if not a new starter)...

Posted by: dcsween | May 11, 2007 10:51 AM

Agreed Lisa, they act like OTAs are prepping for the NFC championship game. Gibbs is so sappy now. Please this man coaxed pro bowls out of Dexter Manley, let the Hogs get blitzed in a shed, put up with Gary Clark's tirades let the players breathe a bit damn!

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 10:53 AM

welcome back dcsweeny!

Def F me!

But when did I get heckled, novices can step to me!

Workers Unite! (and do no work thanks to RI....)

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 10:57 AM

Greg from Boston,

Go jump off the Green Monster, you donkey!

Posted by: | May 11, 2007 11:05 AM

Also, AEE's original thread post is money, except for the disconnect btwn the Cult of JLaC and jumping to the nfl fansite. JLaC is uncompensated for the blog. If the unique reader visit numbers go down, any case he might have had for a bonus (like one month's free subscription to the WaPo) crumbles. Not that I oppose lemming behavior, but unless the NFL fan site lets JLaC start the thread AND pay him some nickels, we would have to work a lot harder to make up stuff about the Skins (or would have to pass the hat for a beat guy).

On the Cult of JLaC generally, I'm not an adherent. The man is the shti, but its the entire community that keeps me coming back. Jason is the juicer/gooser who feeds the addiction, but 'cult' is not an apt analogy. RI isn't a cult and JLaC isn't a cult leader. RI is more like a primeval horde, and Jason throws occasional scraps of raw meat for the chewing and intermittent fighting over. [or in jm220's case, scraps of raw tofu ... and for the tofu-intolerant among us, nofu.]

Posted by: dcsween | May 11, 2007 11:06 AM

Caveat on what I said about it being OK for a player to do whatever on his own time -- that only applies to vets and only those for whom calibrating Jason Campbell's timing and rhythm is unimportant. For the purposes of the TEAM, the receivers/TEs/RBs (do they ever throw to Sellers anymore?) should be putting in the time with Campbell, either at the OTAs or when/where its convenient for receiver & Jason. I think yesterday (maybe Lisa) made the point about Shockey and Plexiglass not working out with Eli Manning. I completely agree; those guys are turds (altho Spartan alum Burress gets a dcsween-specific bye).

Bottom line: Taylor & Springs, enjoy the sun, stay fit, and don't get caught being bad.

Posted by: dcsween | May 11, 2007 11:14 AM

F last night's shabingus up here. Still waiting for some help from Cyn City or JLaC to get those cockamamie fake posts taken down. F it. I know, I need to just get over it, but I'm ticked off.

Posted by: 4-12 | May 11, 2007 11:21 AM

defense have the day off offense come in and get the work in... sounds like a new way of running a nfl team I'm sure the patriots are thinking about doing that.

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 11:21 AM

The OTA's certaintly don't make or break a team's season, but it wouldn't hurt to have 100% participation. It's a perfect time to meet the new guys, have a little fun together, etc. OTA's are voluntary, but it's not the coaches who make them voluntary. I'm pretty sure it's the player's union that makes them voluntary which is why Gibb's may seem upset that Taylor and Springs didn't show up. If the coaches had the choice, I'm sure every coach would make them mandatory but they can't make that decision. They just hope guys would take it upon themselves to attend and be apart of the "team". It's kind of like a Holiday party through your work. You don't have to attend, but it certainly doesn't hurt to show your face...

I promise that is my last comment about OTA's!

Posted by: CC | May 11, 2007 11:22 AM

Good post by AEE.

Regarding not taking any d-lineman on the 2nd day: that's kind of neither here nor there.

Historically and statistically speaking, 5th, 6th 7th rounders are only worth marginally more than UDFA's.

The problem isn't that we didn't draft any d-lineman on the 2nd day. The problem (as we all agree) is that we only had one pick in the first four rounds, and unfortunately we couldn't turn that into a DB and a DLman. We had to pick one or the other.

Here's to hoping we keep as many picks as possible in 07.

2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders are where championship teams are made.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | May 11, 2007 11:22 AM

dcsween, don't know about them throwing to Sellers but he was interviewed last night on Sports Nite. Sellers was smiling and said that Jason was "phenomenal" - he could really tell how hard he has been studying and working.

Posted by: Lisa | May 11, 2007 11:26 AM

"Indianapolis appears to have a slight lead over Dallas in the bidding for the 2011 Super Bowl. The league's owners will select the site for the '11 game at its spring meeting in Nashville on May 22. Indy, Dallas and Phoenix are the three finalists, but a league insider said Phoenix, which will host this season's championship game, is running a distant third. Indianapolis, whose new stadium will open in 2008, is believed to have the support of many of the owners of the league's midmarket teams. There also is an anti-Jerry Jones faction in the league that would rather play the game in Saskatchewan than see the Cowboys' owner get it."

Posted by: ES | May 11, 2007 11:28 AM

You post:

"·Ok, and on the topic of these dumb message board wars. I think its time to give it a rest. I know there are a lot of people who take it personally when a writer puts something out there that isn't glowing about the Skins. Now, I think its unprofessional when you have Peter King or Lenny P or whoever on the national stage, always using the Skins as an example of "bad" even when it's a reach at best. But, when it comes to these blogs that Jason does, its time to realize something. Its OPINION. Its opinion of a 5-11 team who's had a lot more bad years than good years lately. So, if you want to get mad about the blogs, then whatever. That's your problem. Just stop crying about it. If you don't think covering a team that has their act together, and is winning games wouldn't be more fun for Jason, then I have a bridge to sell you. Take a pill, and chill out."

Guess what, AEE? Praising or criticizing JLC is ALL OPINION. Where do you get off telling people how they should or shouldn't respond? So some people criticize JLC (say for insulting an ES moderator in his posts, for example) - what's the BFD? What do you care? It all makes the blog that much more

Maybe you would like this RE blog to become another version of ES, where dissent from the moderator is not tolerated?

Sounds like AEE should take a pill and chill out himself.

Posted by: Take your own advice, AEE | May 11, 2007 11:32 AM

Don't know about OTAs, but I remember Dave Butz (or was it Jim Lachey?) would always get a hangnail or something the second day of camp and be out until the last preseason game or two, depending on how much warmup he felt he needed for the season.

Posted by: pF | May 11, 2007 11:44 AM

Take, unlike the mods at ES, I don't think JLaC is anything like a moderator. Frankly, he's not even an editor (e.g., of his own thread posts). I'm not saying he should be. Dishing info on Skins and occassionally starting a new thread (like when the current one exceeds 500) is plenty for me. If he did edit his own stuff, we'd never have a poster here named "cload and dagger" (or, at least, he'd still be hiding out in the cloadroom).

Posted by: dcsween | May 11, 2007 11:46 AM

So much for the Ricky Williams comeback...

Posted by: 4-12 | May 11, 2007 12:00 PM

Don't hate on Ricky for wanting to celebrate 4/20.....

Seriously though, what an idiot. Wait 3 more years and then blaze out after you're out of the league. Stupid!

Posted by: Big Murf | May 11, 2007 12:04 PM

This story is a joke, let the man smoke weed already so silly....

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 12:09 PM

Greg de boston, i'm with you on pierce thing. please just get over it! he hasn't done shti to us. except the mara game...where the whole team stank up the joint.

montanaSkins fan, i agree gibbs must go. he's looking like an old greedy man now. ever since he came to skins here's what he has done for himself and the skins:

Gibbs:

Added a Fedex car for his NASCAR binness

Making $7-$8 million a year

employing his friends, son ($5 mil per at least)

made a nice sweet hot spot for his binness clients

making himself more and more visible thus attracting advertising money

Skins:

spending the most amount of money on coaching staff in NFL history

6-10

One play off victory

Increasing the coaching expenditure

trading away draft picks, overpaying FA's

5-11

not drafting need

Posted by: dealer | May 11, 2007 12:10 PM

that kid had so much potential and burst and size and speed he was awsome coming out of texas.

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 12:10 PM

So the dude self medicates, if he was hopped up on Big Pharma approved drugs thats fine right.....ahhh the hypocrisy gotta love it...

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 12:11 PM

did I miss another blog war???

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 11, 2007 12:12 PM

Someone mentioned Peter King's about-face. I think it's pretty obvious he found himself an inside source with the Redskins. He crucified everything the Skins did for years and then, all of a sudden, he's chatting up Gibbs, voting for Monk, trying to put a smiley face on the team.

Yep. My guess is he made a deal with Vinny. Len's gonna be pissed.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | May 11, 2007 12:14 PM

To catch up:

- pay sean taylor
- make up with Shawn Springs
- f- blog wars and people who think that a freakin Redskins blog is the place to make themselves feel important.
- good to hear JC is looking good... EVERYTHING is on him this year, our success and failure

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 11, 2007 12:16 PM

Dealer,

You will get your wish soon enough, so you like the Grilliams era to start I take it. He is waiting in the wings you know.

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 12:16 PM

So much for the Ricky Williams comeback...

Posted by: 4-12 | May 11, 2007 12:00 PM

What a waste of talent. He could've been awesome.

Posted by: skinswest | May 11, 2007 12:17 PM

Posted by: | May 11, 2007 08:59 AM
------------------------------------
Granted, I'm 3 hrs behind reading, but I LIVE in Baltimore and will never call another team my own besides the 'Skins. Take a pill, nameless- no one disagrees that this team (FO especially) is struggling. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Posted by: D7 | May 11, 2007 12:18 PM

Ricky Williams is the biggest waste of talent ever. He had a great college career, gets to the pros and starts making some money and now he's finished. It's really a shame when these players screw up their career because they're not used to all the money. Such a waste of talent!

Posted by: ce1782 | May 11, 2007 12:22 PM

Did Landry have to pay Broughton for #30? I wonder if he'll try to give him the Ohalete treatment once Nemo is on IR?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | May 11, 2007 12:27 PM

CL thats dawg + lbs,dawgpound,anyway I do understand the players mentality of "get what I can get while I can get it",I was just questioning if Gibbs underestimated that part of todays player.

Posted by: dawglbs | May 11, 2007 12:27 PM

They gave Davis's old number to Blaylock. Booooooo.

I'm not saying the 48 has to be retired for good, just don't give it to any old shmuck. Davis was the man.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | May 11, 2007 12:29 PM

Ahhh...I get it... very creative dawglbs

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 12:31 PM

S. Davis is one of the best/coolest/lovable/screwed by team playas of all time.....I love that dude !

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 12:32 PM

Joe in Raleigh- How about a couple years ago when they gave some kid (I think a TE) #49, and he wore it all year, and at the end of the season somebody said, oops, that's Bobby Mitchell's number.

Posted by: 4-12 | May 11, 2007 12:33 PM

...`and F Spurrier....Davis would have been a GREAT back in Gibbs Mach II if he had stuck around.....I loved when he scored against us last year....

Betts reminds me a lot of Davis...hung around as a back up, play a little FB.....than blow up...

Posted by: chris larry | May 11, 2007 12:34 PM

I loved Stephen davis as well good ole in between the tackle style RB that wood run away from LB and over DB's!!

Posted by: stick75 | May 11, 2007 12:34 PM

This on is for adults only. And though you may not think so, it's a serious post. I hope that Tyer reads it. For this posting I'm using a fake handle because this one's going to get personal.
In a non-scientific way, I think I have found a connection between sore hamstrings and hemerhoids and tight lower backs. Yes, friends, you read that right. I have for about a year suffered from an awful prolapsing hemerhoid. At the same time I have dealt with a sore left hamstring (hemmi's on the same side, about the size of my thumb, I think). The MDs were talking surgery to me, the rubber band thing, agghh. I couldn't have that. So one evening during one of my sitz baths I decided to check things out and see if i could feel where they might attach that band. That's right, I reached right in there and gave that thing a grab. In fact i gave it a good squeeze which left it twitching for a time. I also started to do some serious yoga type stretches and twists to loosen my lower back. (I should offer a little more background here: Many times I noticed that the sorer my hammy got, the more my hemmy would poke out. In fact I noticed that the soreness would run up my hammy, thrugh the tendons(?) past my hemmy and into my low back.)
Would you believe it? within a couple of days of doing the reach thing, my hemmy stopped with the mis-behaving and my hammy isn't so sore. Then I got to thinking about the times I have seen players on the field suddenly stop because of their hammy's. When they reach back to grab the sore spot, they often grab high, near you know where.

Laugh all you want, friends, this is a serious posting. I wish I could offer a scintific review of this notion. But I do know that hammys are a serious issue for NFL players and Redskins players. I'd be curious to know how many Redskins with hammy issues also have hemmy issues. A lot of guys who lift weights have hemmy issues. (For that matter a lot of male ballet dancers have hemmy issues, too; they're lifting those ballerinas off the ground oall the time)
If we can solve our hammy issues then we will have an advantage over other teams. In this league things are so close, that any advantage, however small, can make the difference bwteen 4-12 and 12-4, especially when the 12 are decided by only a few points.
Okay, now have at me, pseudonym...

Posted by: pseudonym | May 11, 2007 12:34 PM

Posted by: jm220 | August 1, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

LMGO!! thanks diddy for that dig. honestly i know i was in the room but i had never read the whole thing till now. that HAS to be the funniest post ever.

and the thing is he/she is ONE OF US. LMGO!

so two mysteries to solve:
1. who shot LL?
C. who's hemmy was that?

Posted by: dealer | August 1, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

beep beep...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgundy: You are a smelly pirate hooker!
Veronica Corningstone: You look like a blueberry!
Ron Burgundy: Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island!
Veronica Corningstone: Well you... have bad hair!

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | August 1, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | August 1, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I left to go to ESPN because the Washington Post is like the Kansas City Royals of the 60's trading the best players to the Yankees.
I really went to ESPN because I was watching the program where they compared Derek Jeter to Reggie Bush and who is better for there sport. I got all excited and called in and told them I was Howard from the Post.
Espn said the Washington Post. We have 2 guys from there on P.T.I.
Come over and work for us and tell your boy Jason we are watching him and trade for him next.

Posted by: Howard Byrant | August 1, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Brian Fantana : I think I was in love once.
Ron Burgundy : Really? What was her name?
Brian Fantana : I don't remember.
Ron Burgundy: That's not a good start, but keep going...
Brian Fantana: She was Brazilian, or Chinese, or something weird. I met her in the bathroom of a K-Mart and we made out for hours. Then we parted ways, never to see each other again.
Ron Burgundy:I'm pretty sure that's not love.
Brian Fantana : Damn it!

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | August 1, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Brick Tamland: I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I enjoy ice cream and a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me I have an I.Q. of 48 and that I am considered mentally retarded.

Posted by: Greg(Home of Eric Gagne) | August 1, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Brick Tamland: [opposing women in the newsroom] I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

Brian Fantana: Well, that's just great. You hear that, Ed? Bears. Now you're putting the whole station in jeopardy

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | August 1, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling you Jason, get that article going on how 'Skins are so darn disfunctional. First week of camp and everyone is already hurt.

Bunch of babies....

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 1, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

CP and Moss suffer from the Curse of the Eastern Motor's Commercial...

Every Athlete in those commercials have been injured or suck.

Hopefully #17 will be an exception.

Posted by: yesyall... | August 1, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

same geeks diff day.

say, any of you geeks know where i can get a tasty ham sandwich at a reasonable price?

Posted by: gregb56 | August 1, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

You made that last one up on the fly, but it was the best one of the lot.

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 1, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I got an update on the Portis injury:

Egotitis - Swelling and inflammation of the ego.

Apparently this happened toward the end of last season when Betts stepped into the starting role and ripped off 5 consecutive 100 yard games showing the kind of humble team-oriented work ethic that has often eluded CP. The injury was aggravated when Al Saunders heaped praise on Betts, talked about how he's followed Betts since high school, and believes his superior pass-catching ability is a great asset to the offense.

More updates to come...

Posted by: pfunk | August 1, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I have been a skins fan a long time and I've got to tell you-stop your whining. It's preseason. I'll bet you ask these guys who are hurting if they could play come September and they'd say yes. Before moaning the season as over remember what MONTH it is.

Posted by: bishopj36 | August 1, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Best thing they can do with portis is sit shut him down for all of training camp, longer if necessary and bring him back only when he's 100%. Rushing him in any way is the same as the panic acquisition of TJ Duckett last year. The skins need Portis at the end of the year, not out of the gate, and Ladell Betts is obviously more than capable of handling the load in his absence.

Posted by: jfriday66 | August 2, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse