Crennel was never a serious coordinator candidate

Former Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel, who built his reputation as a defensive coordinator with the Super Bowl-winning New England teams under Bill Belichick, is the presumed leader to become the new defensive coordinator in Kansas City, where former Patriots front office man Scott Pioli is the general manager.

There has been some discussion that Crennel was a serious candidate to be the defensive coordinator with the Redskins. Not so, says his agent, Joe Linta.

Linta said by e-mail Tuesday night that the Redskins had a "an inquiry phone call" with Crennel, but it "never got that far" as real discussions with new head coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen.

Ever since Shanahan came to Washington, the names most frequently mentioned as defensive coordinator were Cincinnati's Mike Zimmer, who stayed with the Bengals on Tuesday; Jim Haslett, who met with the Redskins on Monday and may be headed to an interview with the New York Giants on Wednesday; and Jerry Gray, the incumbent secondary coach who had previously interviewed for the Redskins' head coaching position.

Crennel's "candidacy," if it can be called that, never gained momentum to overtake those names.

By Barry Svrluga  |  January 12, 2010; 8:46 PM ET
 | Tags: Romeo Crennel, defensive coordinator
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mann reportedly to interview with Redskins
Next: Redskins hire Haslett as defensive coordinator

Comments

So while I know the Skins need to upgrade the OL, I have no doubt that Shanahan knows it and will do it. While I think Campbell is a capable QB and would like to see him stay and succeed, if Shanahan figures this team is better off with a new QB, I'm going to trust that Shanny is making the right move.

Bottom line, now that professionals are running the show, its a very different feeling.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Shanahan has taken the fun out of saying "the Redskins oughta..." I mean, I could always come up with some ridiculous FA signing, dumb trade or screwball draft idea knowing full well that Snyderatto would screw it up worse than I ever could. Shanahan's overquallfied, and competence is so boring.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Competence is boring, right up til the day we kick dallas' azz all over the field.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 12, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

What about Jim Mora for DC?

Posted by: F0X7 | January 12, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

"...Competence is boring..."

Yeah, and it's killing the blog because no one is posting about boneheaded coaching moves or hating on a clueless front office.

Sigh.....

....I miss the good old bad days.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

He will probably be the most-sought-after player in free agency. 6'4", 250, just turned 28. What's not to like about him. So go ahead and slobber.

Posted by: frediefritz

I'm all for signing non-midget linebackers for a change. I don't care how great a tackling machine Fletch is, he's old and has lost a step. Rocky is small too and don't even bring up Blades...

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 12, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"What about Jim Mora for DC?"

Jim Mora, sr.--yes.

Jim Mora, jr.--no.

I mean, it would be nice to have at least one redskin coach that's a star in a funny beer commercial.

"Playoffs..? You're talkin' 'bout, playoffs?"

"Playoffs?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

....I miss the good old bad days.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 9:16 PM

I hope not enough to want them back, I think i just barfed, oh its ok my dog just cleaned it up, but please no mas.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 12, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

So Halett is the new DC, eh? What does everybody think?

Posted by: McBride33 | January 12, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Pete Carrol, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Brian Kelly, Rich Rodriguez, and now, Lane Kiffin:

"Kiffin Leaves Tennessee for USC"

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 12, 2010
Filed at 9:01 p.m. ET

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A person familiar with the decision says Lane Kiffin has agreed to become Southern California's new coach after one season at Tennessee.

Select the best answer to the question listed below.

Division I Football coaches are:

a. selective opportunists

b. greedy guys who preach committment-to money

c. leaders of young men they often leave behind

d. creatures driven to exploit

e. massive hypocrites

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

wheres f. all of the above

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 12, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

One of the questions is whether he will run the 4-3 or the 3-4. He's run both in the NFL.

I think JH will fire the guys up, I'm just worried he'll wear out his welcome after a season or two.

Posted by: McBride33 | January 12, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

We already hired a D.C.

Posted by: noseman4681 | January 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

wheres f. all of the above

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 12, 2010 9:29 PM

That was funny. Now, tell us how to pronounce your screen name.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 12, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Lost a step? He's getting up there for a LB, but I thought he played better this year than last. If there's a knock on him, it's that he doesn't make enough game changing plays, like forced fumbles/recoveries and INTs. He's got a few good years left, though IMO.

who's the dude we should be salivating over? missed that, good size though...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 12, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know.I've been saying that for 20 minute. Apparently the "fans" in here would rather talk about college football

Posted by: McBride33 | January 12, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know.I've been saying that for 20 minutes. Apparently the "fans" in here would rather talk about college football

Posted by: McBride33 | January 12, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

You all know espn is reporting JH as our DC?

Posted by: noseman4681 | January 12, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"I don't believe in the blitzing game, only blitz every now and then. If your scheme is solely dependant on blitzing that means your personnel is NOT good enough(d-line)to get to the QB...."

Perhaps you are offended by that which you might not truly understand.

Teams 'run blitz' unbalanced formations hoping to shut down a power back or stop a running play they know is going to come on a specific down and distance.

You can blitz hoping to force the quarterback into a 'hot read' where your top corner/safety is awaiting a pass coming his way.

'A gap' blitzes puts pressure in the face of quarterbacks who like to stand tall. This makes them flee the backfield in the direction of a de-end crashing in from the weakside of the formation.

There are more ways to blitz, but I hope you get my point.

Blitzing isn't always about sacks.

It usually is about confusing, frustrating, and tricking pass happy quarterbacks into making bad passes that become turnovers.

And that's a talent you don't need superior personnel to execute.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Haslett has been named the new DC and of course the Post is late reporting it.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Mediocre beeps...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 12, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 12, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

"You all know espn is reporting JH as our DC?"

SL Post-Dispatch is who reported it. About an hour ago.

Posted by: McBride33 | January 12, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

"Lost a step? He's getting up there for a LB,..."

Not to argue, but do we wait until a guy has 'lost a step' to replace him?

The trick is see that a players' time is about up, and work in replacements.

Fletcher hasn't stopped producing, but you don't want his day to come too soon.

The redskins could use another athletic, sideline to sideline 'backer.

I like Rolando McClain, 'Bama.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

romeo will be getting the band back together in kc by the end of the week...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 12, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse