Daddy, Where Do Big Hits Come From?

A lot of you have commented about how violently the secondary performed Sunday, and, though hardly out of character, it struck many as a particularly physical outing by the DBs. I thought there were more jarring, disruptive hits in that game than we have seen in a while.

Secondary coach Jerry Gray agreed that it was an ultra-tough showing, and made a good point in explaining why. With the Skins playing so much press-man coverage, with just a single high safety, the chances for those blow-up hits are limited. Against the Browns Sunday, we saw more Cover-2 than had been the normal, and more zone defense overall, with Shawn Springs out, Fred Smoot still dealing with an injury, etc.

Chris Horton got more reps in coverage, and there were more opportunities to pummel a receiver (I also believe that the inaccuracy of QB Derek Anderson may have helped).

"I think the defense gave us a chance to be in those positions," Gray said of the increased contact in the defensive backfield. "When you play a lot of man-to-man, you don't get as many big hits, but we got a chance to play more zone, and we've got guys that are looking at [receivers] trying to catch the ball, and we've never been shy about being physical. The big thing is being in position to go out and get those hits."

...

Cindy here with a couple of important notes:

Be sure to check out Dan Steinberg's latest installment of "Jim Zorn, Renaissance Dude." This week, Dan asks Zorn about the time he played the viola with the Seattle Symphony.

And, you know what Thursday means...chats.

La Canfora is up at 1 and Gene "Geno" Wang will help you with your fantasy fubball team at noon.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 23, 2008; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Rushing against History
Next: Taking Stock of the Draft Picks

Comments

Calvin Johnson, meet LaRon Landry.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 23, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Jim of all trades

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly, Field - have you all met? Oh, Malcolm's a little shy, I see...well maybe next year

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 23, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Now that is a funny Blog Headline......was that cyndy or janso?

from a few threads back Beantown put his eyes out....have to say I agree...but if you poke your eyes each time something dumb is posted up here you'll turn in to Oedipus Rex!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

CL Looks to be JLC.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

What is the significance of 120 yards?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Not sure but if you divide 2000 yards by 16 games its 125 yds a game to break that mark. Maybe thats what we should use as a threshold marker.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Yeah appears to be JLC....but our gal Cindy used to write headlines for NYC tabloids so she can spit'em like a pro!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The NFL record book has penis envy of the MLB record book so they make up dumb records/stats for every fart, hangnail and punt made from the 32 yardline.....

Who cares, lets just keep ballin'!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to you guys who looked up the IR rules yesterday. Good to know he can still hang around the park if he goes on IR.

Hail!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 23, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

120 yard game is the new 100 yard game like $150,000 clothing budget is the new anti-elitist....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Yikes...dullesville up here....how am I supposed to avoid work? C'mon people!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I hate politics on this blog. I am an independent but don't like partial presentation of the facts. The clothes were donated to charity after they were worn. It was not taxpayer money.

Let's keep it to the Redskins.

Posted by: mmok2 | October 23, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

or non-inflammatory jibba jabba

Posted by: mmok2 | October 23, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of that story, I saw a CNN story about the elitist charge and then they showed a pic of Obama feet up on a table with shoes with holes in them, yep great stuff, even better when they did it with Raplh Nader 30 years ago. Somtimes I wonder if Obama secretly wishes he could be Nader. If you look close at his history and political career there are several parallels.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

So Andre Carter should be primmed for a break out game.
Last year he had 8 tackles, 2 sacks, and a saftey.
Ive said it before but Andre is one of if not the best conditioned Dends in the league his 4-5% bodyfat is outrageous for a position that averages around 16-20%. Every year as of late he start getting his midfield stride and excells late in the season. Dont be suprised if this is the game that he breaks out. Going against a waek O-line too.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 23, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

CL, the links chase everyone away.

Dude, "penis envy"?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Carters stats were against Detroit last year of course.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 23, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

If we had a big man in the middle of the line Carter and Taylor's job would be so much easier

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

So Andre Carter should be primmed for a break out game.
Last year he had 8 tackles, 2 sacks, and a saftey.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 23, 2008 9:56 AM

I look for another rag-doll tossin' sack to be made this sunday by Andre Carter.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I would personally go for a FA DT in their mid 20's this off season, but make sure to get a monster guy who can just bust the pocket.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

jeez people they are jokes.....

I guess they are lame if I have explain them all but red the MLB records/stats book is famously large, the John Holmes of sports minutia....The NFL seems to be jealous...also between my oedipus rex joke and penis envy I was droppin Fruedian yuck yucks...

sorry I will return to seriousness and no timely references...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

and you mmonk, I could destroy your statement re: the clothes....but in deference to your request to keep it lite and and airy up in here I will not.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Good read on Portis:

I hope that bringing Shaun Alexander to DC can provide an up close reference of how it important is not to give Portis 310+ carries; I'd like to see that number lower if possible.

I think if he can stay healthy he can be one of the top RBs of all time--I'm talkin' top 5 of all time.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I actually thought those jokes were funny....I'm just sick of politics. Sorry CL -

Posted by: mmok2 | October 23, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I would agree that we neexd some more deoth but Golston and montgomery are playing great for us now. You really have to give it up for drafing those guys, I think Kedric in particular could be a great player going forward, he had some major push last week.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 23, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Ok double M, I can respect that....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know what the cap looks like for next year?? Are there any signifigant people at the end of their deals? Just curious.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with the three man rotation we got right now and maybe that 7th rounder will give some help in 2-3 years. But that is my issue, we drafted 3 young tackles in the past few years but all are 6-7 round guys who are great for that late picks but do you see any of them being the next Warren Sapp? I would love to see us ad a big impact guy on the line who still has some gas in the tank, and have the kids work around him.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

beantown, good young talent Ovetchkin, Green, Semin coming in to there own..still issues at Goal.....OH you mean salary cap!

No idea, lets worry about it in Febuary once our SB celebration is ovah!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I hate to complain about skins articles but hasn't the CR getting better thing been pretty well covered by now?

Posted by: Gweez | October 23, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

mmok2 you need to go back and read what was said. Only the clothes from the convention. And for the record I am a Independent.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree that it takes 2 years for a WR to "get up to speed".

Posted by: captjim+++

Us neither.

Sincerely,

The Receiving Firm of Jackson, Royal & Avery

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

And I am a partizan Independent who tries to remain radically moderate.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Didn't know Zorny was a Lefty!

Hail!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 23, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

on a football related, but non-redskins related note, apparently Tom Brady has had no less than 3 additional operations to clean out the infection in his knee. There is a fairly good chance that his body is rejecting the ACL...which would require an additional operation.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Cork, what do you think of Santana Moss?? Is he a pretty good receiver??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

All the best people in America are lefties or come from left hand heavy families. Be it sports, politics, or art. They use the creative side of the brain more.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

+++I hate politics on this blog. ... The clothes were donated to charity after they were worn. It was not taxpayer money.

Posted by: mmok2 +++|

Glad you hate politics, MMok, and thanks for bringing some up with you political statement. I agree about the charity aspect. It's so in keeping with Republican policies. And Lord knows there are oodles of poor people in dire need of Saks Fifth Avenue campaign clothes or a stunning Neiman Marcus cocktail dress perfect for milady's GOP fundraiser.

Oh, that wasn't politics. That was sarcasm.

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Rejecting his own ACL???? Or is one being put in there? IS IT OVER FOR TOMMY BOY?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

""I might not get no credit for it, but I'm not the one that wants credit for it," Moss said. "It's just who looks the best when they do it. See, I don't have to get down there, I don't have to make it spin, I can just throw it out there and it's gonna spin....See, mine is a little different man. You've just got to watch it. I don't even hold it like [a top], I hold it from the side. I just flick it out. You know what I'm saying? I could sit on my butt. You should see when I sit on my butt and spin it. I've got plenty of ways I can do it. I can stand on my head and spin it."

"No, I'm messing with you," he finally said, but I would actually like to see him standing on his head and spinning a football. "

I love Santana's quotes and I love this team.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Al, from the Boston Herald:

FOXBORO - Doctors are so concerned about containing the infection in Tom Brady [stats]’s left knee they have performed three procedures in an attempt to eradicate it, according to a source familiar with the Patriots [team stats] quarterback’s travails on the West Coast.

While Brady acknowledged on his Web site that he had one arthroscopic procedure done to “clean and to test the wound” last Wednesday, the Herald has learned there have been two additional procedures performed since that time, with the same goal in mind.

According to the source, the fear is the patellar tendon graft used to replace Brady’s anterior cruciate ligament is in danger of becoming compromised. Should that occur, the entire ACL reconstruction would have to be removed and redone from scratch

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

If you say so Sarah. lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"If you all have yet to check it out. See this little stinger that Todd Yoder took a picture of on CC's website. Maybe this was what Zorn was talking about with the Maroon and Black.

Posted by: alex35332 "

Is that safe for work alex? I love Cooley and Yoder, but there's just some things I don't wanna see...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

safe truth...if I can access it, then you know its ok.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I personally don't understand why its a violation of the law to get the cloths, even if they keep them in the end. Most politicians draw a paycheck from both the job they are currently working (if incumbents) as well as an additional stipend for their time spent campaigning. I remember one guy who was an elected official was drawing $5000 a month from his election campaign when my dad was running in 06 along with his current paycheck from his current job as an elected official. That to me is more egregious than buying cloths. Granted I have not spent 150k on clothing in my entire life-span added up.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

JM220
Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Darn it - I got sucked in to what I didn't want and actually made it worse! Sorry for commenting. Peace, love and understanding! I just want this election over with so we can have a break from all the fighting (I can hope right?)

How 'bout them Redskins! Yoder's bruise is nasty.

Posted by: mmok2 | October 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Could Tom Brady be entirely done?

Man, that doesn't sound good at all.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Truth, its below the cheek its fine. I don't think they let Chris Cooley take the photo himself now.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Mmonk
I hat to say it but the fighting will be worse after the election. Once the inauguration happens, if it happens, then it will die down.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think donating the clothes is a great idea. But my problem with it is purely from a fiscal standpoint. Why spend $150,000 when you could have spent about $9.57 at Walmart and made her look just as trashy? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Posted by: LittleSoren | October 23, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

That is a nast-aSJK bruise!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 23, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Mmonk

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Well then, the Redskins will just have to go all the way to the SuperBowl to keep me distracted.

Posted by: mmok2 | October 23, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

man, that's tough news for Tom Brady.

Like him or not, he was on track to be THE best quaterback, EVER, period, end of discussion.

I like watching people play at a high level if they aren't on a direct rival, and I really got no beef with New England, so I'll say I hope he comes back 100% next year and keeps balling. Dude is just sick, period. Peyton cannot touch Brady overall.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Dont mention the SB word, don't want to jinx it

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It must be painful him to sit down, lay down, walk, and maybe stand also.

How many think they could last 3 hours at a NFL training camp in July? Not even the whole two-a-day thing--just 3 hours.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"After looking at that Yoder bruise, there is no way i'll question a NFL player's toughness.

It must be painful him to sit down, lay down, walk, and maybe stand also.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 10:40 AM "

dude it's Yoder, he's a stud and he's one of the toughest players in the league

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"The Patriots, as an organization, are upset with the situation because they were clear that they wanted Brady's surgery done under the direction of doctors of their choosing in Boston, sources told ESPN.

Instead, Brady opted to have the surgery in California by a doctor his family preferred, and now there are major problems. Brady was supposed to be back in New England by now, but a timeline for his return remains unclear.

Brady recently acknowledged on his Web site that doctors went in "to clean and to test the wound" on Oct. 15 because of the infection. The New England Patriots quarterback has had two more similar procedures since then.

If the infection is not brought under control, the patellar tendon graft used to replace Brady's anterior cruciate ligament could become compromised."

uh oh...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 9:11 AM

Speaking of which, cL, your mom is hot.

Not as hot, however, as the VPCILF.

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Love hearing about the talent from the DMV! Last week it was Josh Cribs (Upper Marlboro, MD); even though he was leveled on two plays--he did score so it was nice to see him represent... in a losing effort.

This week it's Leigh Bodden (Hyattsville, MD). He's detroit #1 CB so most likely he'll be matched up on Moss. If so, I wouldn't look to Moss to have one of "those games". Bodden is 6-1, 193 lbs, with speed. My guess is he'll be blanketing Moss for the entire game.

It's time to exploit some other areas of the field. They can't worry about getting Moss the ball, and they can't afford to rush Portis 25+ times again. If the passing lanes aren't there (hard to beleive given the attention to Moss and the opponent) and we're forced to run, it's vital that Alexander & Cartwright see at least 10-14 carries between the two of them.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Fires burn across the NFL map. Yesterday, the league dispatched two vice presidents to put out a growing blaze in Pittsburgh, and another one popped up in Baltimore. Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, met with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, his captains and Troy Polamalu to try to ease their concerns about recent comments players have made about the league. Anderson emerged from that and revealed the NFL is investigating comments made by Baltimore's Terrell Suggs that the Ravens had a "bounty" on Steelers Rashard Mendenhall and Hines Ward. Suggs agreed recently with a syndicated sports radio talk-show host who asked if the Ravens had a bounty on Mendenhall, the Steelers' rookie halfback who was knocked out for the season when Ray Lewis tackled him and broke his shoulder Sept. 29 in Heinz Field. "The bounty was out on him and the bounty was out on 86 [Ward]. We just didn't get him between the whistles," Suggs said. (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)"

Stay classy, Ravens!

Mendenhall is a classy, smart young kid unlike guys like Ray "Double Homicide" Lewis. Why anyone would aim to take him out is beyond me. I watched his behind the scenes of his rookie camp/preseason/first couple games and he was nothing like the stereotype of young athletes today.

Just another reason I hate, hate the Ravens.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

6) Where can I buy a "Smoot Smack" Bar?

Posted by: rickyroge | October 22, 2008 7:45 PM

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 10:54 AM

I could easily do it. As long as after the first 15 minutes, you could drag my mutalated carcass from drill to drill!!!!!

Posted by: Club320 | October 23, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

and PS my boy Hines Ward has already laid out what, three Ravens in the last 3 or 4 years? Gimme a break, yall can put a bounty on Hines but he's the bounty hunter out there against that overrated crap D.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I never question the toughness of NFL players...but whateves on that bruise my wife got one as bad when were jumping of cliffs into water in Greece.

Note: post 30 year olds should not jump off anything

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

We added Isaiah Ross, a 6-3 and 320 pound O-Linemen. Arena league guy too, caught some touchdowns there!

Posted by: craig2 | October 22, 2008 9:06 PM

As one of the few (perhaps only) fan of Arena football up here (perhaps anywhere), I gotta pimp the game ... EVERYONE scores TDs in Arena League ... and KICKERS make awesome tackles. Scores in Arena League are like basketball scores. Don't look away or you'll miss a dozen plus points.

In other news, thanks for the data about the new guy craig2. Do we know whether this guy can shotgun snap a football?

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Truth, Yoder is okay--OK, that's it. Maybe I'm readin too much into your words, but to call him a stud? C'mon dude.

Cooley is a stud. Yoder? Not so much.

Who in the hell coined the soft ass phrase "stud" for a football player? These dudes are BEAST and ANIMALS.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

And meanwhile, we, in Redskins Land, have tight ends posting photos of the private parts on the inter - webs and the beat reporter worrying if the GM will be charged for tampering for mentioning the Raiders coach on his radio show...

We've got 'em just where we want 'em!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 23, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

From the wikipedias ...

" ... In 2005, Chad Johnson announced he was keeping a list of defensive backs who had covered him skillfully. This list was called "Who Covered 85 in '05", the Pro-Bowler named Leigh Bodden #1 and called him his toughest cover after being held to a season low 2 catches and 22 yards. ..."

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

If you say so Sarah. lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 23, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Seriously 4 of the last 6 presidents were lefties. Coincidence? I think not. Everyone is born right handed only the best of us overcome it.

Posted by: Gweez | October 23, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yoder is a stud blocking TE.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Also, Bodden is only playing his third game this season ... coming back from a bad knee.

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

And it will be 5 of 7 once McCain or Obama are elected as both are lefties....

Ok I'm done with the lefty talk.

Posted by: Gweez | October 23, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Yoder is a stud TD receiving TE too ... he catches TD passes at critical times b/c the entire league seems him as a "blocking" TE ... as a TD receiver, the dude is invisible on the field ... when he re-appears, there is a ball in his hands and he's standing in the end zone.

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Also I want everyone here to watch the DAWGS at LSWho this Saturday at 3:30 on CBS and cheer for YOUR VERY OWN UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA BULLDOGS

this is a big weekend and we got UF at Jacksonville next week!

WOOF WOOF WOOF

thanks in advance for your support!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

My fave college football team this week: LSU!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Could be more presidents if there was not that effort to force all people to right right-handed before the 1900's

Speaking of Arena League, We got a team yet?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Arena League, We got a team yet?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

No doubt Alex Righty always trying to keep us down.

Posted by: Gweez | October 23, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Truth I am gonna be busy avoiding college football.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Other Famous Left Handers:

Billy The Kid
The Boston Strangler
Fidel Castro
Judy Garland
Tom Cruise
Kermit the Frog

And of Course:

Mark Brunell

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 23, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Truth, again, calling the defense of the Ravens "overrated" is erroneous.

Don't know if you're a stats guy, but check how they're doing in every defensive category. I don't know any other way to measure a defense as a unit.

They ain't the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens but they're pretty damn good. The team overall would be way better if they had an offense.

Another team I kept seeing in the top 15-20 were those 'skins. Washington has defended 46 passes but only has 5 INTs. As usual we're in the bottom half for sacks with 9.

The Titans defense is just unreal.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Kermit the Frog was Left handed? Cool.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Lefties have an unfair advantage in NASCAR.

Lefties ... reminds me of the last great leftie QB we had up here ... Mark (Scott?) Brunell ... actually, now that I think about it, not sure the Skins have EVERy had a great leftie QB ...

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Anything to make Sarah even hotter....I'm all for it. Besides, if the money hadn't been spent on her wardrobe, it would have gone to more boring negative commercials re: Obama bin Biden. I'd rather focus on the hottie.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 23, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

eh I was just taking a cheap shot at the Ravens cause they are so lame and their fans suck

Hines > them

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 23, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Golston. He has really stepped up his game. And remember we have Demetric and Lorenzo improving also. I don't want to go out during free agency and overpay for a FA DT, when we are already solid and improving.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 23, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

am I the only here that is scared do death of spiders?

freaking disgusting!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Sir Anonymous the Great = Ambidextrous

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 23, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

and amphibious

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 23, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

All Lefties all famous almost everyone who tried to rule the entire planet is on the list except Hitler he was naturally a right handed individual and also had 1 ball making him even eviler, but us lefties do have some bad people too:
James A. Garfield

Catsup > Ketchup

Pepsi in a can > Coke in a can

Coke in a bottle > Pepsi in a bottle

McDonalds fries > Every other fast food fries

Got somethin > Got nothin

Posted by: dcsween | October 23, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

On that spider story here is what freaks me out.

"Mr Shakepeare said he had seen golden orb weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger. "

I am not afraid of any spiders that are small, save the brown recluse, thats a nasty one, but if I saw a spider as big as me, then I freak out.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse
It wouldn't be against any law, but she would have to declare the $150k as income and pay tax on it. To avoid that, the clothes are given to charity.

If this were not the law, all politicians would have their campaigns buy all their clothing.

Now, having said that, your next question is, don't you think some politicos do this? Yes, but if they are caught doing it, they are breaking the law.

Now back to the Skins.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 23, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

So, Alex, are you no bigger than a human hand?

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 23, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Heinz 57 > Hines Ward, agree

Catsup > Ketchup, disagree

Pepsi in a can > Coke in a can, disagree

Coke in a bottle > Pepsi in a bottle, agree

McDonalds fries > Every other fast food fries, adamantly disagree, in fact McDonalds fris are dead last.

Got somethin > Got nothin, so what do you got?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

d'oh miss-read what he said. Thought he said a spider as big as a man.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

sween, no way does McDonalds have the best fast food fries.

Wendy's
Five Guys
Burger King
Arby's
McDonald's

Maybe it's because most of the time I get fries from McDonalds they're either cold or too salty.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Spiders are almost as evil as Dallas Cowgirls! TRUE STORY.

PS all fast food fries suck, how bout some sweet potato fries from Applebees or something? Fast food is garbage!

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 23, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I hope when my wife and I have kids we produce a brood of left handed, ginger haired offspring. Sure, the first 20 years or so would be tough. I'll have to learn how to sew so I can get the waistbands back on their underwear. I may have to periodically check their closets for long black trenchcoats, firearms, and rambling manifestos. But if they can get through all that my progeny will begin to take over the world, and I'll just put my feet up and reap the rewards.

Posted by: LittleSoren | October 23, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Got somethin > Got nothin, so what do you got?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:37 AM |

McDonalds fries are by far the best, but only when they are very hot and fresh with just enough salt on them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 23, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Flounder thats why they are not the best, too many variables. Get 5 guys fries at any time and they are perfect.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh and Pepsi is discusting, Coke in a can all the way.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Sprite or 7 up
Sierra Mist or Sierra Nevada

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

beep beep....open locker room coming up.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 11:44 AM |

Alex,

I do love me some Five Guys, but I do not consider Five Guys a typical fast food chain, main reason being no drive thru.

Sh!t now I'm getting hungry!

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Ok back to football.
Although Landry did have a good hit on Sunday, it doesn't appear he is laying the wood like he used to. Maybe he is just playing smarter. Anyone else notice this?

Posted by: joeboggs | October 23, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat

McCain/Palin, or, as they really should be called, Unstable/Unable.

But she sure is a GILF!!

Posted by: johnbear1 | October 23, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Brady's body isn't rejecting the graft, there's a staph infection that is not responding to antibiotic treatment....

Remember brandon noble a few years back?

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 23, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

p1funk -- you just keep repeating the same comment, year 1 impact or else he's a "bad pick", sorry but just isn't a justifiable statement. If you are going to make claims, back them up. That's what I said, and you haven't done it. Not a surprise mind you, but you havne't done it yet.
++++++++++++++++++

(Looking for Craig2 to continue our lively back-and-forth from a previous thread)

Malcolm Kelly showed up for camp out-of-shape and physically unprepared for the task according to his own coach. A reasonable person would call this "bad".

He subsequently fought through hamstring and knee issues in camp. Again his coach referenced the rigors of two-a-day practices that he was physically unprepared for. This also seemed to confirm the speculation of more than a few NFL scouts, that Kelly was "brittle". A reasonable person would call this scenario "bad".

Due to lingering health issues. Kelly, according to his own coach, was losing valuable time for learning the West Coast Offense. The coach also surmised that, as a result of the setback, Kelly would have little to no impact in the first part of the season. A reasonable person would call this "bad".

Several weeks into the season. It appears that he is unable to recover from said knee issues and will have to go on IR. This is "bad", especially considering that the team was hoping he would contribute as evidenced by the fact that they did not retain any other veteran receivers aside from Moss, Randle El and Thrash.

Kelly would go on IR having contributed one catch in 7 games. This is "bad".

Thus I come to the reasonable conclusion that SO FAR in Kelly's pro career, this is looking like a "bad" pick.

This flow of logic, backed up by facts and on-the-record statements will probably not move you off of your foolish idiotic opinion. But I hope we can agree that I have at least demonstrated that my view is "justifiable".

Now, would you care to provide a reasonable argument based on facts to support your opinion that SO FAR Kelly looks like a "good" pick?

Posted by: p1funk | October 23, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ok back to football.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 23, 2008 11:51 AM |
--------------------------------

I haven't noticed him pulling back, but if he did, I wouldn't blame him.

In this league, where they've fined Hines Ward (Hines Ward!) at least twice this season for blocks he laid on people - on plays in which he was NOT penalized - Landry is smart not to give his money away to Roger Goodell.

Personally, I think something has to be done about this, or it will soon become a flag-football league.

I don't want to see anyone get seriously injured, but at the same time, it IS football, a contact sport.

The league needs to let them play.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the Kansas City DB that hit Brady was of the venomous variety- they're shooting him up with a turkey baster of antibiotics but if that doesn't work, they may have to amputate!!! AIEEEEE!!

Posted by: frak | October 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Heheheheh, a little MASH operating room humor, my bad..

Posted by: frak | October 23, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse