Dan Snyder and Joe Gibbs Remarks

Joe Gibbs said the plan is for everyone in the complex to attend Sean's funeral in Florida. Snyder said he believes that funeral will likely be sometime early next week and all teams are wearing No. 21 on their helmets this Sunday.

Snyder and Gibbs both said they still had no information about why Taylor returned to Florida over the wekend, or if it was related to the prior breakins at his house.

Daniel Snyder said he received a phone call after 5 am from Sean's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, telling him Taylor had passed.

"We thought we had some hope last night," Snyder said. "We were told by a couple of a surgeons that he had made good progress, and was responding, but still obviously in extremely critical condition ... This is a tragedy and we're going to miss him very, very much."

By 5:30, tailback Clinton Portis, a close friend of Taylor's, was in Snyder's hotel room, performing the heartbreaking chore of calling his teammates. "He spent a couple of hours calling as many as he could get ahold of," Snyder said.

Gibbs said that Taylor had matured greatly in recent years, attending every chapel service and being named to the team's leadership counsel.

"We're going one hour at a time here," Gibbs said. "We're all going to band together with Dan's leadership ... We're going to go forward together and I think each person here probably has to deal with it in his own way."

Dan Snyder said he visited with Sean's girlfriend and daughter this morning. He said the team will honor Sean on their jerseys and helmets Sunday - if not the entire season - and every stadium will have a moment of silence this week prior to kickoff.

Snyder said there have been no discussions at this point about moving the date or time for either game, but he has not had time to consult the league or think about asking to have a game postponed at this point.

Focusing on football, obviously, is almost impossible.

"From the time Dan called me it probably makes you reflect on a lot of things for yourself personally, where you put your occupation, where you put your friends, your family your kids and grandkids, and you realize life is so fragile ... It's hard to concentrate on football. But I do think Sean loved football, and he loved these guys here "

Gibbs said his plan is to meet and practice Wednesday, while offering players time to talk with chaplains as well. However, he said he is not locked into a routine and "we'll get everybody in here tomorrow and we'll take it one step at a time."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 27, 2007; 4:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Press Conference at 4 pm
Next: Ryan Clark Remembers His Friend

Comments

The site just posted a great piece by Mike Wise. It definitely helps to slightly restore my faith, albeit temporarily, in The Post's columnists as he hit the emotions that I'm feeling on the head.

Death of Taylor Leaves Nothing but Disbelief

Posted by: StumptownChris | November 27, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Instead of a little sticker on the back of the helmet, I would like to see a large 21 replace the logo on one side for Sunday's game.

Posted by: Jasonpeak | November 27, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere on the blog, but Mike Wise wrote a nice column about Sean and the disbelief over his passing... sure, there was mention of Sean's dicey past, but it was brief, and Wise was careful to note that Sean was turning his life around for the better.

Posted by: jaradel | November 27, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor deserves to be put into the ring of honor.

Posted by: KwameTK05 | November 27, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Oops, didn't get it up there fast enough...

Re: tribute to Taylor - I do hope, as others have mentioned, that they retire his number and add him to the Ring of Honor at Fedex - he was definitely on his way to greatness and had already demonstrated his ability as a game-changer with his hard hits and nose for the ball. Who knows what greatness he might have achieved had he lived. The brevity of his career may keep him out of Canton, but it shouldn't stop the Redskins organization from putting his name and number alongside other Redskins Hall of Fame players in the Ring of Honor. Here's to hoping they will do the right thing. Besides, I can't imagine that another Redskins player would want to wear No. 21, knowing that that was Sean's number. It wouldn't feel right, and athletes tend to be very superstitious about such things.

Posted by: jaradel | November 27, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before and will mention it again as what I feel is appropriate to honor Sean:

1) Decal on helmet & field (duh!);
2) Immediate inclusion in Ring of Honor at Fedex Field;
3) Immediate Retiring of #21;
4) When #21 is voted to the Pro Bowl, as a starter, the NFL doesn't replace him with the second-vote getter but allows his spot to remain empty

Posted by: StumptownChris | November 27, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise is the best columnist the Post has got. He doesn't have the biggest TV contract, but he has a sense of judgment and class that is perhaps only rivaled by Boswell.

Thank you so much Mike.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

There is good reason for players to mistrust the press. Sean Taylor was not alone in his feelings on this issue.

From the Steinberg Blog two weeks ago, a few comments on the issue from two of the more quotable and talkative Redskins, even in the presence of the press:

"That's because you the press," Smoot said. "We don't like y'all. We football players, we keep our stuff in-house."

"They with you when you're doing well," Samuels said, turning this into a media criticism session.

"Yeah, but then they hatin' on you when you doing bad," Smoot said.

"Tearing us up," Samuels added.

"Like you ain't know that [losses] were going to come one day," Smoot continued. "Like, 'Ooooh,' you were so surprised--'Y'all done lost! How could you!?!?' Last team to go undefeated was the Miami Dolphins."

The real question is: do Wilbon and Shapiro even venture out to Redskins Park before they write their columns, or do they just shoot from the hip, and then dodge questions later? I know that Jason has been criticized here from time to time, but at least he is out talking to the players at Ashburn all the time.

The first rule of being a good journalist is to be a good reporter. Jason seems to have this down pat. We have seen his talent for reporting continually this week.

It seems that Wilbon and Shapiro have forgotten that the research needs to be done before opinions are formed and conclusions are drawn. Their columns are a triumph of ego over substance, and a black eye to the integrity of The Washington Post.

Posted by: tafka | November 27, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

JASNO,

Can you confirm that CP will be wearing #21?

Yes. TAYLOR in the ring of honor. Retire #21.

Posted by: relishfilms | November 27, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is so lazy now with PTI. They have great chemistry but do no more REAL reporting anymore. WILBON DIDN'T KNOW SEAN TAYLOR. SO SHUT YOU MOUTH.

Posted by: relishfilms | November 27, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon and Shapiro see things differently than the rest of us. We shouldn't hate them for that. All the hate and anger should be directed at the people who killed Sean Taylor, not two Washington Post columnists.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

The Skins don't officially retire numbers.

But I'd expect Sean Taylor to be inducted into the Ring of Fame at the 2008 home opener.

Posted by: CMoney1 | November 27, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon didn't even cover the Skins, and was NEVER at the park, so how would he know the first thing about ST.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 27, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

RIP #21
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Posted by: pcreeldeal2 | November 27, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

relishfilms--If they retire #21, can Clinton still wear it?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Sammy Baugh's number is the only number offically retired.

Posted by: pcreeldeal2 | November 27, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Can I say that I don't think his #21 should be retired without being accused of being disrespectful? First of all, as was said, they don't retire numbers...Sammy Baugh is the only one whose number is retired. Second, I think Mike Nelms would deserve #21 over Sean Taylor. Nelms was a significant contributor to a Super Bowl win. No offense to the memory of Sean Taylor, but let's not get carried away with the on-the-field recognition.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 27, 2007 04:31 PM

Greg,

This can be said of every one of us who post on this blog.

In Wilbon's case, though, knowing about sports is how he makes his living. He does it 24/7, even if he's not at the park. And he does follow the 'Skins pretty closely and works with those who are at the park. He's much better connected than any of us who have been blowing him away.

Mind you, I'm not saying he's right, but I don't think he can be dismissed quite so easily as this.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I normally don't post here, but felt compelled today. Others have touched on the scope of this tragedy so I won't try to rewrite what others have said as I doubt I would have anything to add.

But, one thing has struck me as a fan of the Redskins as a team. Despite all of the talk of Gibbs' performance this season as head coach before this tragedy, I am surprised I haven't seen anyone comment here on the fact that there is likely no coach that would be better to have in that locker room right now than Joe Gibbs. I saw some quotes from players saying they are taking their cues from Joe, and my feeling is that there could very well be no coach that would fill that role better.

Posted by: dturnbull | November 27, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon actually said on the radio this morning that he did not know Sean...and he does not cover the NFL (although he does appear on Redskins Report) so his opinion is CRAP. He is making assumptions from something that happened 2 flippin' years ago! Wilbon also said that if this had happened to Jason Campbell he would have been shocked.

Posted by: Lisa | November 27, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

21 must be retired. If CP wants to wear it sunday, or even thru the end of the season, I'm all for that, but no other skin should have the privledge to wear 21.
Hail Sean Taylor!

Posted by: puttinforbird | November 27, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100% That they should officially retire Seans number 21....I don't want to ever see that jersey on a player again with the Skins....In his short time with us ...he was only a Redskin and will forever be a Redskins Great...He gave us some big wins against Dallas with "The Hit" as well as the fumble for the FG and lets not forget the fumble return to secure the bid for the playoffs as well as the fumble return vs the Bucs....It's such a short time he was so huge...He IS a Redskins GREAT so I agree...RETIRE THE # RING OF FAME....PERIOD!

Posted by: leevi98 | November 27, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

dturnbull,

I'd actually posted it twice, but the threads disappear so quickly that no one took it up -- either yeah or nay.

I'm one who would like to see a new coach next year, but I can't think of any coach at any level in any sport who I'd rather have coaching the Redskins for the rest of this season.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

TA, I completely respect your opinion on this matter, however given that Wilbon didn't cover the skins AT ALL, I think it was somewhat misleading to write what Wilbon did, would you agree? How would Wilbon be privy to information such as knowing that Sean had not distanced himself from his previous lifestyle? This type of stuff, is what I have umbrage with. He painted a bleak picture using information, that according to some of his closest friends, was FAR from accurate.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 27, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Sign this petition to fire Shapiro and Boswell:

Posted by: vancouver1999 | November 27, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

From the link that carver9 posted in the previous thread:

"Taylor was not supposed to be home. He had come back to Palmetto Bay, while the Redskins played in Tampa, to see an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on his injured knee, Sharpstein said"

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 27, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope they let CP wear #21 on Sunday to honor his friend. And I hope he runs for 300 yards with ST smiling down from up above. The more I read about this the more surreal it is. I feel honored to have been attendance at the last game #21 played in no matter how agonizing a loss that was and I will truly miss watching the way he played the game with passion the past 8 or so years that I followed him at the U and with the Skins.

Posted by: cdubb | November 27, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Re: retiring numbers

I don't think jspaceman72 is disrespectful. I understand that the Redskins don't officially retire numbers but, well, maybe it's time to start. Would there be a better time?

There are plenty of numbers that are unofficially retired. Maybe it's time to go about making it official. I can't seem to come up with a reason why they shouldn't.

It would be strange and eerie if someone else was to wear that number. I hope CP sticks with 26.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 27, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, Wilbon's opinion only has value if you give it credence.

In this case he appears to have discredited his opinion with his own statements, so all should therefore feel free to 'ITA'.

Today shouldn't be about recrimination; not for #21, and not for anyone who has an 'opinion' on his life gleaned solely from media reporting. Let it go and channel your energies where they can help you better deal with the senselessness of the situation.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 27, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 04:31 PM

I know this is not easy to say for me but we should not place hate and anger towards the people who killed Sean Taylor. Rather we need to pray for them.

Posted by: signicolls_03 | November 27, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

On trying to treat femoral artery wounds..

Posted by: 4-12 | November 27, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sign this petition to fire Shapiro and Boswell:

Posted by: vancouver1999 | November 27, 2007 04:45 PM
-----------------------------------------

As someone who supports the 1st amendment and feels that all of The Constitution and Bill of Rights have been horribly trampled on by Bush, Cheney, and Co. I dunno if either of them should be fired.

They said what they said and they look like complete jackasses because of it. It is their right and it's our right to bash the hell out of them because of it.

Sticky situation.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 27, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

You don't think Wilbon knows things about Taylor that we don't? Don't be naive. I'm not interested in kicking dirt on the guy's grave, but we're not talking about a guy with a squeeky clean history here. I'm giving Wilbon the benefit of the doubt on this one. I doubt his opinion is based solely on the arrests.

If #21 is to be retired it should be for Mike Nelms.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Mike Nelms was not the playmaker and game changer that SEAN was... come on. He was the greatest safety in Redskins history. Agreed?

Posted by: relishfilms | November 27, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Last time posting this and I'll get off my soapbox now.

Before everyone metaphorically storms the castle and drags the two offenders out to be burned at the stake can I appeal for a little restraint please?

I have ZERO sympathy or agreement with either Wilbon or Shapiro on this. I find their thinking to be intellectually flawed and elitist in nature, while surprisingly filled with prejudice.

Calling for their heads will solve nothing, give them their few moments of controversy, it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Sean Taylor's legacy as a person lives in the people whose lives he touched, not in Shapiro or Wilbon's opinion of him.

Sean Taylor was a supremely gifted athlete who played an extremely violent sport. While he never shied away from the darker side of the game, there is certainly sufficient evidence to suggest that he had found a way to successfully separate that from his private life and allow himself to grow as a person because of that separation.

A suitable way to remember #21 might be to take that life lesson and employ it wherever it makes sense in your own life; remember your job is just 'work', it doesn't have to be who you REALLY are. Strive to become a better person yourself whenever you can. Ensure that your family and family life remains the central focus of your life and that your perspective doesn't get distorted by the fleeting, unsatisfying attractions that can be found elsewhere.

Maybe if we can each do that just a little more there could be something worthwhile to emerge from this tragedy.

Let's all try to be a little kinder today.

Sorry, rant off.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 27, 2007 04:16 PM

Posted by: Redcoat | November 27, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I know we're all emotional right now but can we keep some perspective.

Before we start trying to get people fired or people into the ring of fame perhaps we should wait a few days.

Posted by: Skinz | November 27, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

jspaceman said that Sammy B's number is the only one to be retired. That's not true. John Riggin's number is retired. And I think Joe Theisman's (sp) is, too. The Redskins do retire numbers just not frequently.

I think the wearing of #21 this weekend in memorium is a great idea.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to Sean Taylor's family, friends and team mates.

Posted by: spg2dd | November 27, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Thats a Hunter S Thompson quote, right?

Posted by: curtmcgurt | November 27, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

RC, Please rant all day long. You bring much wisdom, and a greater understanding than I to this place. Thank you for your input, you sir, are a gentlemen, and should be commended for your post.

Thank you.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 27, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

The first Redskins column written by Mike Wise was a plea to change the team name, not something endearing to a Redskin fan of my ilk. Wilbon basically wrote that you reap what you sow, and for good or bad, that is something my mom and grandparents raised me to believe. The point of this is that neither of these guys is all good or all bad, and that we look at everything through the prism of our background and world view. The same applies to Sean Taylor. God be with his family and friends.

Posted by: xraygun | November 27, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Taylor will be greatly missed, and it is a sad circumstance for his friends and family, particularly his fiancee and young daughter.

As for Wilbon and Shapiro, consider the sources. Both are knee-jerk reactionaries with the common sense of a billy-goat.

At any rate, I personally always liked the fact that Sean Taylor rarely spoke with the media; Art Monk was similar in that way, and I respected it then too.

I also agree re: putting #21 in the Ring Of Honor.

Rest in peace, brother.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: signicolls_03 | November 27, 2007 04:48 PM

To each his own. Leave me out of the "we need to pray." I have no prayers for these misbegotten evil-doers.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Yo, jspaceman...I heard Wilbon on the radio earlier today...he admitted that he didn't know Sean Taylor personally. He's got no inside knowledge "of things about Taylor".

Posted by: 4-12 | November 27, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"The first Redskins column written by Mike Wise was a plea to change the team name, not something endearing to a Redskin fan of my ilk."

Yeah, but it was THOUGHTFUL, even if you ultimately disagreed. Wilbon and Shapiro were not thoughtful.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

After Taylor was drafted, problems soon began.
1. Skipped part of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium, drawing a $25,000 fine.
2. Driving home late from a party during the season, he was pulled over and charged with drunken driving.
3. Fined at least seven times for late hits, uniform violations and other infractions over his first three seasons, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of an opponent.
4. Yearlong legal battle after he was accused in 2005 of brandishing a gun at a man during a fight over allegedly stolen all-terrain vehicles, eventually pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to 18 months' probation.
5. Taylor's play was often erratic. Assistant coach Gregg Williams frequently called Taylor the best athlete he'd ever coached, but nearly every big play was mitigated by a blown assignment.
6. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006.

Posted by: inbred | November 27, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

curtmcgurt- yeah... i think it was fitting for him!

Posted by: pcreeldeal2 | November 27, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

From another Eagles fan (and DC area resident) to Redskins fans, the Redskins organization and Sean Taylor's family--my heart and thoughts are with all of you today. Sean Taylor played the game with extraordinary passion, intensity and skill. He was both feared by the opposition and appreciated for his incredible talent. I can understand why this loss is so devastating. This is a very sad day for all football fans who appreciate great players.

Rest in Peace, Sean Taylor. You certainly have my Pro Bowl vote.

Posted by: rmblack | November 27, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The best safety in Redskins history was Ken Houston. I think if Sean had more time with the team he would have been a lock to get that tag, but I'm going with Houston.

Nelms was a pro-bowler 3 of his 4 years with the team and was a significant contributor to one of the great teams in NFL history.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jasno, Cindy and all you bloggers out there in RI Nation.

It's good to have a place to share thoughts and feelings.

Posted by: kost52 | November 27, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I find it very touching that Clinton wants to wear the #21. It will be very emotional for me watching him run with Sean's number on his back.

I hope the Redskins retire #21. While I do like the Redskins policy of not retiring numbers, given the circumstances and the fact that Sean was possibly on his way to being one of the best defensive Redskins ever, I think it would be appropriate.

Posted by: perry.alan | November 27, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

dturnbull,

I couldn't agree more. There is no better man than Joe Gibbs for this situation and no one I would rather have as coach in this darkest time for the team.

I grew up idolizing Coach Gibbs. When I was a kid, he could do no wrong. Now that I am adult, I know that even Joe Gibbs is not as perfectly awesome as I once thought he was. But there is one thing that he was, still is and always will be as far as I am concerned. He is the Big Daddy of this team and this endlessly and sometimes hopelessly loyal fan nation. He has said that he felt that there was a reason for his return to this team. He probably in all likely hood thought it was for a different reason. But I'll bet it was actually for this reason.

These Redskins are shattered men right now and they need a guy like him to show em how real men deal with these things. He is right where he needs to be. I pray that all will be better men for this experience and that Coach Gibbs will be an even better leader and teacher. Its the only good thing that could possibly come from the horrific waste of such a talented young man.

Posted by: mrapier1 | November 27, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

This entire day has been so overwhelming. I keep telling myself, I feel foolish... I didn't know the man. Why have I gotten so choked up over all of the posting and articles? I sure you are all feeling the same. I just find today so unbelieveable.

My suggestion for the remainer or the season or at the very least to honor Sean. Very first series, live up with 10 on Defense. Play your a$$ off for him that series, just imagine... imagine how proud they would feel.

Posted by: chris.woody | November 27, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Unless something has changed recently, Riggins' and Theisman's numbers are not officially retired. No ceremonies, no jerseys hanging, etc. I'm open to a discussion on putting him in the Ring, but retiring his number is too much, imo. We can pay tribute and respectfully acknowledge his contribution to the team without overdoing it. That said, if Gibbs and Snyder, moreso Joe, think his number should be retired...they know better than me. But I doubt we'll see that.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see the Redskins have only 10 men on defense for the first play of the game (obviously no FS) in honor of him.

Posted by: chris8204 | November 27, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I'm just as upset as the next guy about Sean Taylor passing away (well maybe not just as upset, but I'm pretty bummed out about it). I never met him, my life won't be affected one way or the other by his passing, but I felt very sorry for his child, his fiance, his family and his teammates. That being said, he played three and a half seasons for the Redskins. I'm not sure playing at a high level for three and a half years gets your number retired or immediate entry into the Ring of Stars. I don't want to be called Wilbon here (and there are far worse things I could be called than Mike Wilbon), but some perspective here would be nice.

We always think the era of football we watch is the greatest era of all time, the players the greatest players of all time, the blog writers the greatest blog writers of all time, but the truth is sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. I'm not going to be offended if Sean Taylor is honored in the Ring of Stars, but I don't think it will be a travesty if he isn't, and I certainly don't think it should be an immediate move. What if he left after this season in a contract dispute? Should he be honored then?

I think it is a knee jerk reaction to the way he was killed to suggest that he belongs in the Ring of Stars. I've got no beef with all the other ways of memorializing him (patches on sleeves, stickers on helmets, moments of silences, numbers painted on grass and on the Hall of Fame store), and I'm not trying to be callous here, just trying to show some perspective.

Posted by: lhaydengraphics | November 27, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't able to focus at the gym. I just saw a clip of the press conference. Say what you will about the Dan. He looked like he was really hurting from the lost of the Reaper.

Posted by: jm220 | November 27, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Houston was unquestionably the best S the Skins ever had.

I'm not for retiring #21 or putting him in Canton, but I CAN see his name up in the ring of honor.

He was a great player, and had many great years in front of him.

Regardless of the outcome of the investigation, the man was in his own HOME, what is considered one's "castle," and NO ONE should be shot at by some knucklehead intruder, whether it was a burglar or someone with a personal grudge, within the confines of their own home..

Therefore, I think Taylor's past troubles are completely irrelevant here.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll be out of here now, but I will try to post again later after I've been out to Redskins Park.

I wish Sean's family and friends God's peace to help them through the difficult trials of the days to come. May His Grace work in their lives to begin the healing process.

To all who come here, I wish you the same.

A fellow fan.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 27, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

pcreeldeal2,
That quote sticks out in my mind because of how it is worded. It always made me smile because of how odd it is. Whenever I see it now, I will think of Sean. Definitely fits him.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | November 27, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Balance in the immediate aftermath of an unexpected violent death will not come easy.

Vehement disagreements with Wilbon and Shapiro are just as permissible as their choice to write opinion pieces. Fans are permitted to view life through rose colored glasses, but there is no basis for asking the Post to fire either columnist if their opinions do not conform to the fan base. It is just misplaced anger amidst shocking news.

Posted by: i155133 | November 27, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Time to take some deep breaths girls. You drama queens aren't going to get anyone fired. Of course writers like Shapiro and Wilbon look skeptically on Taylor and his ilk. They covered the team when it actually won championships. But that was before overpaid men-children made the team into a "the U" alumni club. Now all we get is preening and dancing about over individual plays in a game that the team more likely loses than wins. And it's called the Ring of Honor, not the Ring of Celebrity. It's for players who brought honor to the team. Care to explain how Taylor brought honor to the team. Maybe we can ask Michael Pittman that question. The only year Taylor made the Pro Bowl they had one of the worst defenses in the league.

Posted by: oldabandonedbeachhouse | November 27, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm not for trying to get anyone fired. That's a bit harsh.

And I don't know if Wilbon "knew" Sean Taylor or not.

But I do know something about Wilbon; we attended NW together.

And I know he's a good writer; I also know he is given to hyperbole, unfounded statements and general rumor at times.

Which might explain why he writes for the sports section instead of the A section.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"Would Skins fans have this reaction had it been another NFL player with a "rogue" image or would they tend to have a more sympathetic view of the recent opinions of Wilbon and Shapiro?"

Again, the problem is not with their opinion - however wrong I think it is. It's with their judgment.

What @$$ thinks writing this while the man hangs between life and death and then before he is buried is a good idea?

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor, Rest in Peace. God's love shine on his survivors.

The man was shot in his home, his home(!) for gosh sakes, which wasn't on the wild side of town. The reports read as if this shooting was the act intended by the intruder: knife left on the bed from the week's previous intrusion, the shots fired on entry to the bedroom where Taylor's family, his family(!) for gosh sakes slept. This reads like an assasination not simply a murder.

Posted by: neilbourjaily | November 27, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 05:17 PM

He's also given to skepticism and cynicism and asking the hard questions. And he gets the answers right a lot more often than the gets them wrong. Which is why he's writing for the Washington Post and not the Washington Examiner.

Not saying he's got it right this time, but I don't think you can blow him away this easily.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

After Taylor was drafted, problems soon began.
6. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006.
GO DALLAS COWBOYS!

Posted by: inbred | November 27, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 05:20 PM

Dude, he wrote this on a chat where everyone was asking him about Sean Taylor. He said he wasn't surprised Sean Taylor was shot and he wasn't convinced Sean had changed his ways. These are his honest opinions.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

James Brown just (unknowingly and indirectly) ripped Len and Wilbon on WPL for jumping to conclusions.

If you missed it, check out the replay tonight at 10pm.

Posted by: CMoney1 | November 27, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator:

I'm sorry if my comments re Wilbon bothered you.

As for "blowing him away," I don't need to. Working for The Washington Post today is not what it was 20 years ago (in that sense, the paper is similar to the Redskins organization).

Former editor Ben Bradlee stated in an interview a couple of years ago that the paper (WaPo) employs "too many damned writers." In short, it's overstaffed.

But in any event, I'm sure Wilbon will appreciate your spirited defense of his callous comments about a young man who isn't even cold in the grave yet.

After all, he's just "voicing his opinion," however poor his judgment may be.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"What's he supposed to do? Refuse to take questions because Sean is hanging by a thread?"

Given his experience with television, I would think he would have the sense to say "I have some opinions, but this isn't the time or place. My thoughts go out to his girlfriend and daughter and the rest of his family who are suffering right now"

And Shapiro wrote it for the paper. He set out to do it.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Wilbon didn't rehash any of his comments from his discussion yesterday on PTI today. Wonder why?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 27, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, he voiced his opinion, which is what he's paid to do in those chats. Don't like his opinion...don't read it."

Surely the Post has a better policy towards bereavement than that.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

It's the judgment of the editors at the paper, not individual columnists. Jason mentioned earlier today in one of his posts that finding the right balance is difficult in these situations and that the editors are struggling as the story evolved. Also, the first article yesterday by Jason and colleagues mentioned information that both Wilbon and Sharpiro have also discussed.

Posted by: i155133 | November 27, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

inbred your name speaks for itself with those comments!! So everyone read this my reponse follows!

"Yeah, great idea, let's retire number 21 because SeanTay was such a great role model and of such good morale character as noted:
After Taylor was drafted, problems soon began.
6. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006.
If this is the best the Foreskins have to offer, then by all means mourn your hearts out."

things about Taylor getting into trouble and listing them saying he was a bad person because of it LET ME WAKE YOU UP!!!!

Sonny Jurgenson was well known as a drinker and was pulled over by police many times...In the 70s and 80s there were many skins who got into trouble that we hold dear. RIGGINS????? Ring a bell? how bout the Hogs famously going out and closing down bars...what about the 5 oclock club getting drunk and some known to pass out and sleep there till morning practice! Not to mention all the times many players missed meetings etc etc...So NO I don;t agree with your statemenst about Sean! Not to mention Taylor only played 4 years...2 of those years he played great and like a rookie...GEE THAT NEVER HAPPENS TO A PLAYER!!!!! Oh and no great players like Lott and many others were NEVER fined for late hits NO Just Sean right?

PLEASE!

Posted by: leevi98 | November 27, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

So anytime someone is PAID to type something, it is therefore beyond reproach?

LOL

That's hilarious.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh so its ok to put cocaine addicts like Erivin in the hall? Your a J o k e

Posted by: leevi98 | November 27, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

He's paid to share his opinion. That's what he did.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the whole idea of playing Sunday seems unimportant at this time to many players, and understandably so.

However, maybe having to play two games (Bills, then Bears) in the space of 4 1/2 days will help the team deal with the grieving in a positive way.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute...we're going to run into a problem if you start pulling people out of the Hall of Fame for cocaine use.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Imus was paid to share his opinion too; when you don't use common sense in that endeavor, people call you out on it.

Some people are calling Wilbon out on it, and rightfully so.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

The police may or may not solve this homicide. At the moment, press reports indicate that the police have no suspects. That may be for public consumption. Had Taylor informed the team that he was traveling to Miami and for what purpose? There seems to be some contradictory information in the press reports. The previous break-in may or may not be related. There was a knife that was left behind according to the press after the previous break-in. A phone line was cut. There was forcible entry. The evidence will need to be collected and analyzed but the case may never be solved. Which just leaves a void filled by invective, conjecture, and myths.

Posted by: i155133 | November 27, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

You're really comparing what Wilbon said to Imus? That's a stretch.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm comparing their poor judgment.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you needed a translator to understand the analogy.

Further, my apologies re Wilbon posts; I'll refrain from writing about him anymore, since it's obvious you have quite a man-crush on him.

Carry on.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

They'll get the guy. I'd bet the farm on it.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of Imus - he was acting in accordance with his contract that called for him to push the envelope. Policing speech is a slippery slope - it's all well and good when you believe you are in the right but an entirely different experience when you are the object of censors. And at the end of the day, Imus will reap a huge windfall when he prevails in court for breach of contract on the part of his employer at the time. Rightful and reprehensible should not be confused.

Posted by: i155133 | November 27, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

With at the criticism Gibbs has received the past few years, I have to say that maybe it is fate he is still the head coach of the Redskins to help lead this organization out of the dark. I truly believe Gibbs will help lead the fight through the rest of the season, and no matter what you say about his coaching ability in this modern football era, I don't think anyone else can lead the Redskins at this time...

Posted by: maddene | November 27, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Dexter Manley in the Ring of Fame?

He certainly had his issues off the field, so Taylor's personal past shouldn't be a factor, if they decide to put him in it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Easy does it there, tough guy. First of all, it's a bad analogy and if you don't know why I'm not going to explain it to you. Second of all, you must be very proud of that 8th grade tone you carry there.

Carry on.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm so torn here because on one side I completely agree with Wilbon. It might not have been the appropriate time, but I can feel Wilbon's frustration with young black men who feel the need to live up to this thug lifestyle. I can't help but notice that everyone is saying "Sean turned his life around". Players, coaches, family and friend are all saying the same thing. Well, he might have been turning his life around, but that means he was wild at some point, and that probably involves some violence style thug actions. He had enemies, and it came back to him. So sad. So sorry that this happened, but lets not put this guy on a pedestal he does not belong on. He was not a good role model, citizen, or athlete. He may have been turning things around, but sometimes its too little too late. Not to mention, it takes a cocky, indestructable attitude to stare a serious death threat in the face and not get yourself AND your family OUT OF THAT HOUSE.

Posted by: scott | November 27, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Damn Bram just broke down on the radio. Man this is hard all the way around for everyone.

Posted by: jm220 | November 27, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Other than perhaps Tony Dungy, I do not believe there is a better leader than Gibbs to lead the team through this period of grief and recovery.

Mark Schlereth had some great comments today on ESPN radio about his experience with Joe Gibbs. When he was injured and still playing but not practicing, Gibbs called him into his office and sat him down. Gibbs said that if playing was going to harm his future prospects, he would honor that and put Schlereth on the IR. And that he had a list of all the players on the team who had been injured and that he prayed for Schlereth by name each and every day for healing and strength.

Posted by: i155133 | November 27, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Inbred. You are dancing on some dicey ice my friend. Now I am all for freedom of speech, but you made your point. In fact, you made it twice because of the insecrutiy that maybe your simpleton's sample of ignorance didn't get noticed. Skins fans are in a bad place right now, and you hiding behind a username and disrespecting a young man who just died is truly tasteless. If I were you, I wouldn't say your username too loudly in D.C. tonight. We in D.C. have class, but we also love to find ways to get out aggression. Find a better way to prove your an idiot. I know, march your ass up to Redskins Park right now and recite your last post. Coward.

Posted by: chadaleshire1 | November 27, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mean to say he wasn't a good athlete, I meant to say he wasn't a good sportsman, which for the first 2 years we can all agree that he wasn't.

Posted by: scott | November 27, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Conduct off the field has nothing to do with it. He only played for 3 and half seasons...none of which were noteworthy in the history of the team. Dexter Manley played for what...10 years??...and won two Super Bowls. Are you sure you went to Northwestern?

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Judge not lest ye be judged.

We have lost an outstanding athlete also a father and husband.

We were blessed by his presence.

We move on.

Posted by: howardhaney | November 27, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"He may have been turning things around, but sometimes its too little too late."

I maintain that the public tragedy in all this is that he may very well have been a bona fide role model, even given just six more months. Moss told everyone a while back that he had refused to hang with the same crowd he used to.

Given six more years and he may have been the proud face of the franchise and the hero of all Washington -- and not for the play that would have developed.

The private tragedy is that a son, a friend, a father, a fiance is lost forever. Regardless of whether you agree with my first point, the second is reason enough to hold one's tongue for a few days.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

jspace:

The analogy concerns their judgment, not their specific words.

That was crystal clear in my original post.

Secondly, you comment regarding an "8th grade tone" .... after opening your last post with, "easy does it there tough guy."

You're your own worst enemy, as most novice writers are.

Paradox, thy name is jspace.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"Now question is every n*gga with dreads for the cause? Is every n*gga with golds for the fall? Naw, So don't get caught in appearance it's Outkast Aquemini another Black experience."
-Outkast "Aquemini"

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 27, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Maddene was right about Gibbs being the best coach for this team right now.

However, if they lose to the Bills, I have a feeling the Gibbs 2.0 Haters will be right back here to call for his head yet again, bereavement notwithstanding.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If comments like Wilbon's while this is all still fresh sticks in the mind of an up and coming 17 year old athlete who has choices to make, than I am all for Wilbon voicing their opinions. Such a waste of talent. And I agree, in six years, he could have been the face of the team, such a shame.

Posted by: scott | November 27, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, hey, JLC, get some rest!

We're caught up in battling to justify our grief or curb unbridled grief (depending on perspective), but you've been going almost nonstop.

Thank you again, we are all indebted to you.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 27, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Bram just reported that Dallas has requested a lot of 21 stickers to wear on their helmets for Thursday game.

Posted by: jm220 | November 27, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a writer. Nor are you, apparently.

I know it's about judgement, but it's a terrible analogy that shows a lack of appreciation for the nuance of each situation. But whatever...knock yourself out. It's me who is my own worst enemy.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

At this point, the season is what it is - secondary. Take the game plan for the Dolphins off the shelf and use it for the Bills. Pretty similar teams - limited offense and a stingy defense. Keep it simple and play hard, win or lose. Gibb's greater burden is how to help the team grieve and heal, which will take much longer than the rest of the season.

Posted by: i155133 | November 27, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

No, you're not a writer.

As if your spelling of judgEment"(there ain't no E, partner!) wasn't enough evidence of that, your nonstop whining about a man you don't even know (Wilbon) - and that I do know something about personally - sealed it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The entire NFL will wear #21 helmet stickers and jersey patches, according to what I heard earlier.

As for Dallas/Green Bay, thanks to Time Warner Cable, I won't be seeing that game unless I go to a bar.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 27, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | November 27, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Kost,

Thanks for posting the Rooster's comments -- nice, refreshing break from the Wilbon hatred. In fact, it would be nice even on its own. The man's a good writer.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 27, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

"your nonstop whining about a man you don't even know (Wilbon) - and that I do know something about personally - sealed it."

Wait...you *know* him, or you just know *something about* him?

Anyway, that you're the spelling correcting type speaks volumes. Keep it up and one day you might know the touch of a woman.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | November 27, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope you all will give Mike (and Tony!) the benefit of the doubt and watch Talking Points.

Posted by: TheCindy | November 27, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse