Dan Snyder preparing for Canton trip

Redskins owner Dan Snyder will be in attendance Saturday when former Redskins offensive lineman Russ Grimm is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

"I'm looking forward to the after party with Russ and all the Hall of Famers from the Redskins and we're excited," Snyder said. "A bunch of us are going out tomorrow."

Snyder spoke briefly to reporters Friday afternoon, promoting the team's "Stuff a Backpack" school supply initiative on behalf of the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation. Snyder was on hand to donate to the back-to-school partnership between the team's charitable foundation and World Vision. Fans are encouraged to bring school supplies to Redskins Park for Fan Appreciation Day Saturday.

The team plans to honor Grimm, currently the assistant head coach and offensive line coach for the Arizona Cardinals, during a game this season. In the meantime, Snyder will be bearing a gift for Grimm.

"A little watch," Snyder said. "A Hall of Fame watch I give out to all the Hall of Famers."

Snyder said he hopes Grimm's induction will lead to other Hogs being inducted into the Hall and expects a large turnout of Redskins fans Saturday.

There are no plans for the Redskins to retire Grimm's number, although Snyder admitted the franchise's reluctance to retire numbers in the past could change.

"We haven't retired numbers much here, before I got here," Snyder said. I think that we're going to look at things in the future a little bit. Hopefully, we'll make them proud.

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 6, 2010; 4:48 PM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Doug Dutch: Ravens' practice tougher than Redskins'
Next: Albert Haynesworth has passed conditioning test

Comments

HAIL TO RUSS GRIMM!!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 6, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or with the news of Farve and Haynsworth, did anyone really realize that there is a Football game Sunday?

Happy to have a HOG in the HOF.

And as for the Ravens camp being harder than the Skins, let me ask a question...How many injured players do the Ravens have?

Posted by: roccoskins | August 6, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | August 6, 2010 5:47 PM

Yeah, I thought that too. Of course the ostensible reason they traded a quarterback for a camp fodder corner was because of all the injuries they have suffered in their secondary alone.

Posted by: craig81 | August 6, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Can we PLEASE get that stupid Haynesworth Counter taken down? Come on, guys.

Posted by: corky1031 | August 6, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Think Dutch is having a tougher time because Bolden and the Raven's WR's are a lot better than the skins wr's?

Posted by: skinswest | August 6, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

"NFL rule changes include penalties for head shots"

The best shot?

Padron with a tist of lime.

Back to back.

Posted by: gimmesummoe

As long as they don't start penalizing body shots and I'm ok with it.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 3:48 PM

It's been a while since I've done a body shot, probably 15 years ago in O.C., MD. And before anybody asks what his name was...The only thing I can remember was that she played soccer at UVA and the liquor was patron.

Padron is a cuban style Cigar.

And a big welcome back to Curz.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

1) Hail to the Hogs

2) What is Doug Dutch supposed to say: "My new team runs a seriously sissy training camp"?

3) Five posts with no Haynesworth update? What gives Reid?

Posted by: p1funk | August 6, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Dutch didn't have to say anything regarding which camp was tougher. Not that it matters what a 5th or 6th string cb thinks.

Posted by: skinswest | August 6, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Curz leaves, The Cow appears...

The Cow leaves, Curz appears...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence...

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 6, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Curz leaves, The Cow appears...

The Cow leaves, Curz appears...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence...

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 6, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Unless Curz is a snow bird and moodlymoo is a summer bull, it's just a coincidence. Curz is in NM, and moo is way up north(ID or Montana).

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Curz leaves, The Cow appears...

The Cow leaves, Curz appears...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence...

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 6, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I've been lurking for a long time without posting frediefritz.

I understand why the Cow didn't want to blog anymore, because a lot of children here like to accuse you of being something you are not. As if they really care.

Some people here don't believe a female is capable of posting on a sports blog.

Beep-Beep always picks on Lisa and accusing her of posting under several different names with no proof, yet there is proof that he changes his name all the time.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 6, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The injuries are starting to mount on the New York Giants' offensive line.

Starting left guard Rich Seubert is going to be sidelined indefinitely with a broken left hand, coach Tom Coughlin said Friday.

The Giants will find out how long Seubert will be out when he is examined by Dr. Russell Warren on Saturday.

Seubert was the second offensive lineman to go down, joining two-time Pro Bowl center Shaun O'Hara, who has been sidelined since Monday with swelling in his left ankle.

Free agent lineman Reuben Riley also suffered an injury to his medial collateral ligament in his left knee on the last play of practice on Friday, Coughlin said. There is no immediate word on how long he will be out.

The Giants open their exhibition season on Aug. 16 against the Jets in the first football game at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

Coughlin said O'Hara is due back Monday, along with safety Kenny Phillips, who missed most of last season with a major knee injury.

The coach said that it's a fallacy to think an offensive lineman can simply tape his hand, put a cast on it and play.

"If the metacarpal twists, they have to do surgery, put a pin it in and it's out for six weeks," Coughlin said after practice ended Friday.

The coach said if the broken bone is given a little time to heal, it's more likely the player will be back sooner.

"We're not going to let him go right back out," said Coughlin, who saw his team battle injuries last season in missing the playoffs with an 8-8 record.

Fifth-year lineman Guy Whimper worked with the first team at guard on Friday while Adam Koets continued to fill in for O'Hara.

Seubert was hurt on Thursday night while blocking during a passing play in the team's first full pads workout. He was on the field for the next play before coming off.

The 31-year-old wore a splint on his left wrist and arm when he arrived at lunch on Friday. He deferred questions to Coughlin.

Seubert came to training camp knowing that the Giants were considering some changes on the line after it struggled opening holes for the run last season. The rumor was that left tackle David Diehl would be moved to Seubert's spot and second-year pro Will Beatty would start at left tackle.

Coincidentally, Beatty had a horrible practice on Thursday night and had offensive line coach Pat Flaherty scream at him, telling him to "Wake Up."

Except for a few games last season, the offensive line has started every game since 2007 with Diehl, Seubert and O'Hara playing with right guard Chris Snee and right tackle Kareem McKenzie.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/giants-g-rich-seubert-breaks-a-bone-in-his-left-hand-status-uncertain-100135929.html#ixzz0vs3DLncU

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Can picture Little Danny climbiing into a suitcase and being carried by an equipment guy onto the plane.

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 6, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Mimi-

beep-beep is accusing Chia-Pet of being Risa_L (a not so clever play on Lisa_R), bleep-bleep (a not so clever play on beep-beep), and about 5 other random names. He's right and so are you..talent_evaluator, League-Source, and beep-beep are the same old man that graduated from Duke in the 1940s.

You give decent insight unlike many that troll this board making it insufferable enough that people with something to contribute eventually leave.

btw..beep-beep isn't a bad dude and I think the handle change is due to dementia and his inability to remember his passwords from one week to the next.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

from Mike Prada, dc/sbnation.com

The Redskins' return game was abysmal last year, but they may have found an answer in seventh round draft pick Terrence Austin, who has turned heads at Redskins Park thus far.

Aug 5, 2010 - ASHBURN, Va. - When Terrence Austin was preparing for his freshman year at UCLA, he got a piece of advice that he pledges never to forget. He was stuck behind two experienced upperclassmen that blocked his path to the field, and as a highly touted recruit coming out of high school, it would have been easy for him to pout.

Instead, he followed the advice he was given, and decided to devote time and energy to also making a name for himself on special teams.

"We had a couple seniors that was ahead of me, so I just went the special teams route. I never did punt return before, but I just took on the duties and I ended up being good at it," he says. "I'm glad that I got that advice early."

more to follow

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Prada cont.
Four years later, Austin is following that same advice he was given as he tries to make a name for himself as a seventh round pick of the Washington Redskins.

"The best opportunity to make an NFL team is to be involved in special teams. I've embedded that into my mind even since I started returning kicks in college," he says.

But of course, by devoting oneself to special teams, a player also improves their standing in the wide receiver rotation. It takes most players a long time to swallow their pride and figure this out, but not Austin. Whether it's due to his intelligence, demeanor, previous experience, desire or a combination of the four, Austin is turning heads here at Ashburn.

The best part? Not only is he impressing in special teams drills, but he's also showing he could be far more than merely a return man, even though he only arrived at the team's offseason training program in mid-June because he was finishing up classes at UCLA.

"Very few players came come in late and pick up the offense as well as he did," Mike Shanahan says. "For him to be as far along as he is, is a real credit to him."

Photo by Brian Murphy/Extreme Skins and SB Nation D.C.

Austin's resourcefulness has carried him a long way. At just 5-foot-10 and 165 pounds, Austin is far away from being the ideal size for a wide receiver, and while he clocked an impressing 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, he wasn't able to use his speed to score any touchdowns on special teams in college. Granted, Austin was a world-class high jumper in high school and even hit 6-foot-9 at a track meet at UCLA on just one day's practice, but he also admitted, "I may be sometimes canceled up if the QB throws the ball a little high, because nobody expects me to get it [because of my size]."
more to follow

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Prada cont.
This isn't to say Austin lacks supreme physical tools, but it is to say that Austin hasn't made it this far because of natural ability. Instead, he's made it this far by studying others and working his ass off.

The studying others part started back in high school. Austin attended Long Beach Poly, an athletic factory that has produced stars such as Tony Gwynn, Billie Jean King, Chase Utley and Willie McGinnist. One of Austin's high school teammates for three years was DeSean Jackson, the standout speedster for the Philadelphia Eagles. Austin says he worked with Jackson closely and studied him for years, even though he says "we're totally different receivers."

"The thing I focused on with DeSean is how quick he is in and out of breaks," Austin says. "The way he uses his speed and the way he disguises his speed; those are the type of things I try to emulate."

Five years later, Austin says he was able to catch up with the Redskins' system by watching and studying the guys in front of him, though it does help that the Redskins' system is somewhat similar to UCLA's.

"It was tough at first, but I had a chance to sit back and watch guys like [Santana Moss] Bobby Wade and other guys who play in the area I play in," he says. "While I wasn't out there, I got a chance to sit back and watch them."

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Prada cont.
To the naked eye, Austin's development as a kickoff and punt returner was due to his natural talent rather than his work ethic or resourcefulness. And maybe that's somewhat true. After all, despite not even being a returner prior to college, Austin developed to the point where he was the only player to finish in the top 15 in the nation in both punt return and kickoff return yards last season. He didn't take any of those returns to the house, but he consistently put UCLA in good field position with many solid returns.

"I watched him all the time - he's broke a lot of returns, but he hadn't been able to take it the distance," Redskins Special Teams Coach Danny Smith says. "But he has great vision, makes quick decisions and has a great first step."

Austin admits that, in the end, he ultimately "ended up being pretty good at [returning kicks and punts]." But the transition was anything but smooth. I asked him how he was able to pick up the skills needed for those tasks so quickly, and he chuckled, saying, essentially, that it didn't happen so quickly.

"Every day, I was chewed out," he says. "I was putting the ball on the ground, but I just kept working at it."

Austin continued to struggle with learning the position early in his UCLA career, but he caught a break: his teammates were worse. Back in his freshman year, Austin's teammates, running back Chris Markey and receiver Marcus Everett, fumbled punts in the first two games of the season, giving Austin the job by default. That allowed him the latitude to keep working on improving his punt return skills while also getting good game experience.

But the next step - getting the team to let him return kickoffs - proved to be more difficult. Austin asked his coaches to let him return kicks several times, but it wasn't until his junior year when they finally relented. Austin picked this up quickly, saying he finds kickoff returns easier because it comes right to you, but it was quite a struggle to convince his coaches he could be good at it.

"I begged [UCLA Special Teams Coach Frank Gantz] to let me do kick returns," he admits, laughing.

So don't let anyone tell you Austin became an ace return man naturally. Even that took hard work and a little bit of luck.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Prada concluded
Austin steadfastly refuses to admit he's having a perfect training camp. When I ask him to rate his training camp performance thus far, Austin tells me merely that "every day I've been doing fairly well, aside for some minor mistakes here and there, loss of concentration here and there."

But he also had perhaps the highlight of the first week, making a beautiful over-the-shoulder catch on a Donovan McNabb deep ball on Monday that elicited a roar from the assembled fans. He would have had another one Wednesday, as he put a great double move on his defender, only to see Rex Grossman overthrow the pass. Maybe he's missing assignments, but I'm not seeing them.

It's hard to call him a lock for the 53-man roster, and it's equally hard to say that he has the inside track on the kickoff and punt returner jobs. But it isn't hard to say that Austin has significantly outperformed expectations for a seventh round pick thus far in training camp. For Redskins fans used to the sad sight of Antwaan Randle El awkwardly signaling for fair catches and muffing the punts last season, that's music to their ears.

"He's going to get a great opportunity," Smith says. "We'll see how much he can handle."

So far, so good.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Terrence Austin has a similar body size to DeSean Jackson. At 4.38 in 40, I'm guessing he is a little slower. But I'm hoping we have found a good punt returner in the 7th round. And who knows, down the road he might be a replacement for SM.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

From Matt Mosley on ESPN: "[John Beck} didn't last with the Dolphins because of a side-arm motion that led to a lot of balls being deflected."

Interesting to see if that's the case here.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Mr. M- nice article on Austin, this is one of the guys I'll be rooting for. At 5'10 & 165, he kind of reminds me of one of my all-time favorite skins that was 5'9 175..Gary Clark.

Love his mindset, his route running ability, and his maturity.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

The best shot?

Padron with a tist of lime.

Back to back.

Posted by: gimmesummoe

Padron is a cuban style Cigar.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 6:42 PM |

Hey what can you say? The handle changes but the brains are still shti.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2010 8:07 PM |

Hey samsonite dude - ask me if I am a sock pupppet - sock it to me.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

from Mike Prada, dc/sbnation.com

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 7:40 PM |

Mike Prada = failed fashion designer.

He doesn't have his sister's DNA.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 6, 2010 7:05 PM |

Mayhaps samsonite will deign to post on his theory of sock puppetry. Heh, heh.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 7:29 PM |

You got it backwards buddy. Trolls are Darwin's answer to the problem of lame posters that clog the blog.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey BangerVance-

Why are you always banging on Moe? This board is better for posters like him..

And Prada was a fashion label started by 2 males, Mario Prada and his brother Martin. I know this because my high maintenance wife bought me a wallet with my own money one year for Xmas.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Crissakes who gives a shti about Shnyder. Will Gibbs be there?

Gibbs = The Man

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 6, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

hahahahaha!!!! I may be herbally stimulated at the moment, but that was some funny SJKit.

Anyone going to camp tomorrow?? I'll be there. Fan Appreciation Day. I want to feel appreciated. HAIL bSJKitches!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 6, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 8:51 PM |

And like most Italians, their brains were in their pants. It was Miuccia who built what is known today as "The House of Prada". Any lame-ass can start something.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

BangerVance = The Man

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

HAIL Notorious_LMG!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 6, 2010 9:09 PM

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 6, 2010 7:21 PM |

Why? You do something like that if you are an impoverished Scottish type that can't afford the fare. Mebbe a stunt that vous pulled at one point? Dude owns the plane for Crissakes.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Can picture Little league_source climbiing into a suitcase and being carried by an equipment guy onto the plane.

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 6, 2010 7:21 PM

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Why? You do something like that if you are an impoverished Crissakes type that can't afford the fare. Mebbe a stunt that vous pulled at one point? Dude owns the plane for Scottish.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 8:53 PM

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

if they want fans to go to canton, then why would they make fan appreciation day on the same day?

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 6, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

really
Albert Haynesworth retake conditioning test Saturday
Posted by Evan Silva on August 6, 2010 9:15 PM ET
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the "plan is" for Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth to retake his conditioning test on Saturday. Schefter has few other details, and it's unclear which side he's getting his information from: the team or Haynesworth.

If it's the Redskins leaking information to Schefter, and Haynesworth hasn't deemed his troublesome knee healthy enough yet to complete the test, it could be another power play by Mike Shanahan. Schefter, of course, wrote a book on Shanahan in 1997. So it's certainly not a poor bet that Schefter's report is coming from someone close to the coach, if not the coach himself.

On the other hand, Haynesworth and/or his agents could be using Schefter to get out the news that the $100 million nose tackle $48.2 million right defensive end's knee has healed sufficiently, and Haynesworth is ready to practice. Haynesworth was observed "flying on a treadmill" Thursday.

Or perhaps Haynesworth is just getting bored. The extent of his participation in Friday's practice? Recovering fumbles in a turnover drill.

Posted by: suliman215 | August 6, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 6:42 PM |

They said what you drinkin'? (what you drinkin'?)
Let me buy you a couple of rounds
And I said what you thinkin'? (yeah! )
I ain't the type of girl to get down
But I can party wit cha (uh huh)
And bring my girls aside (uh huh)
Tell the bartender bring the ice
And let 'em know I'm on Patron

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see if that's the case here.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse
Samson, I read somewhere today, maybe in Keim's 11-on-11, that Beck did throw one side-armed today, and fit the pass into very tight coverage. Sometimes it can be an advantage. Just don't want to make a living doing it.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

¿ day go fans they to appreciation, why would same fan day same make canton then they want they if on the ?

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 6, 2010 9:17 PM

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 6, 2010 9:20 PM |

It's so Shnyder will have an excuse to not have to mingle with the unwashed.

Posted by: BangerVance | August 6, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 6, 2010 7:41 PM ET
The Indianapolis Colts suffered two injuries on the offensive line in today's practice.

Phillip B. Wilson of the Indianapolis Star reports that offensive tackle Charlie Johnson and guard Andy Alleman were both carted off the field with leg or foot injuries.

There's no immediate word about the severity of the injuries. Colts coach Jim Caldwell said he will provide more information about the injuries on Saturday.

Johnson is the Colts' starting left tackle, so losing him for any significant period of time would be a tough blow to the Colts' offense. Alleman, who started three games for the Chiefs last year, was signed by the Colts in the offseason.

lots of injuries around. Knock on wood...

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, bloggers, here is our headline for tomorrow am:

HAYNESWORTH UPDATE:
Posted by Evan Silva on August 6, 2010 9:15 PM ET

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 6, 2010 9:17 PM

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse
THat's very interesting, bleep bleep. I'm not sure how to respond to that question. Perhaps just "HUH?"

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps just "HUH?"

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

A lot of good inside stuff here:

By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
08/06/10 8:06 PM EDT

1. The Redskins worked more on screen passes than on previous days. Considering the pressure their defense has applied, that’s probably a wise decision. But the offense in general looked a bit off. They’ve been inconsistent in camp, which isn’t surprising. They have a new QB, one receiver playing at a high level, a line that’s still learning to play together and a new system. It adds up to a long meshing period.

2. Still sort of odd to see Dan Snyder walk around in a Redskins polo shirt and casual pants. Such a contrast to his first training camp in 1999; and even to several years ago. Not sure what it means, but he certainly comes across as less stuffy these days. He talked to the media after promoting the Redskins stuff the backpack campaign; they collected 1,100 backpacks for local kids.

3. Anyway, Snyder said the Redskins will honor Russ Grimm, who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame Saturday, at a game this season. Looks like the opportunity could be when Washington hosts Indianapolis on Oct. 17; Arizona, where Grimm is an assistant, has a bye that day. Snyder will be in Canton for the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. He sent Grimm a watch – a nice shiny one, Snyder said – as a gift.

4. As for Albert Haynesworth, Snyder said, “I think enough’s been said at this point. Mike’s done all the talking.”

5. Defensive lineman Howard Green has a hip flexor injury and called himself day to day. As the old joke goes, aren’t we all. But no idea when receiver Mike Furrey will return from his concussion. Don’t have a good feeling on this one.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

A lot of good inside stuff here:

By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
08/06/10 8:06 PM EDT

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

cont.
6. Artis Hicks is still struggling to gain consistency at right guard. The problem is that he needs to remember to get lower when playing inside. At guard, he’ll typically face defenders a little squattier than he would face at tackle. The only problem is that one of the guys who has consistently gotten lower than him is Adam Carriker – who is two inches taller. But Carriker is really good at this, perhaps in part because he played over the nose at times in a 4-3.

7. But Hicks strikes me as a standup guy unafraid to admit when he’s struggling and willing to do whatever a team wants. A true pro. He needs to be a starter here, but on a good line he’d probably be a swing guy, a top reserve type. Nothing wrong with that, but it does show that it’s tough to rebuild an entire line in one offseason. If you're going to plug a guy in, may as well be someone like Hicks.

8. LaRon Landry was showing blitz when Derrick Dockery jumped early. Landry shouted out, “He was nervous! Who’s gonna come?! Who’s gonna come?!” Gotta say, the defensive guys really like this system. But so do the offensive guys. Don’t remember a time where that’s been the case, perhaps dating back to the 1992 season. Every year it seems there’s some grumbling on one side of the ball or the other.

9. Rookie G/C Erik Cook seems to play with good fundamentals. Good base; good arm punch. But he just lacks the lower body strength to anchor the way an interior player does in the NFL. He can develop that, but it will take time. OT Selvish Capers had his issues, too. Lets guys into his body too often. But in fairness to both players, they weren’t drafted to help this season.

10. The Redskins showed one formation today when Chris Horton blitzed from one edge and Justin Tryon came off the other.

11. Rookie LT Trent Williams showed a little mean streak during the one-on-ones vs. LB Curtis Gatewood. After riding Gatewood to the outside, he shoved him hard to the ground, right where some other players were watching.

12. When the Redskins worked a little on kick return, the pairings were Byron Westbrook/Devin Thomas and Terrence Austin/Ryan Torain. Westbrook will really have to show a ton on special teams because it’s hard to imagine him vaulting ahead of any of the corners.

13. Good inside stuff from the locker room. Donovan McNabb loves ragging on guys, but he can take a joke as well. That goes a long way in a locker room.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Redskins-notes-and-analysis-8610-100162639.html#ixzz0vslzZ2mq

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

THat's very interesting, fredie.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 6, 2010 7:29 PM |

Who you calling demented, anyway? You're one to talk. Name change helps in avoiding ex-girl friends and paternity suits. Hit me up with an e/m if you want to know more: beep-beep@hotmail.com

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Did colt ever get picked up?

Posted by: AdamCr | August 6, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | August 6, 2010 5:47 PM

i stumbled upon your pictures and may I say you are very cute.

Good luck with "Roccoskins Corp"

Just don't talk to Walter in Falls Church. He bashes Christians any chance he gets and misinterprets the Bible to justify his intolerance

Posted by: Risa_L | August 7, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the last thread. Who really gives a sh!t what a Doug Dutch thinks? Of course the Ravens camp is tougher for you. They're out of CB's so you're practicing with first stringers. Here you never made it past scrub level.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 10:15 PM |

Wait, who said this? Danny Snyder said this? WOW!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Of course dutch thinks its harder in bmore. He actually gets on the field there and has to run around.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 7, 2010 3:55 AM | Report abuse

Did colt ever get picked up?

Posted by: AdamCr | August 6, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Moe reported seeing him in Nawlins', so I think it's a certainty that he's been picked up by now. Just don't know what sex he/she was that picked him up.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 7, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 6, 2010 9:27 PM

Forget about Beck's sidearm motion. He's been coached by the best in Baltimore, Jim Zorn, and now he can throw whichever way gets it done while dodging pillows thrown by dancing bears. Kid has it all.

Did anyone notice that Zorn didn't pick up Colt in Baltimore to replace Beck?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 7, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Dutch, $nyder, AH. Next thread will be about Cerrato. Jeez, I'll take a Billy Kilmer update and be a happy camper with that, instead of what the Mayor's been feeding us.

Posted by: hessone | August 7, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth passed and will be in pads today.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | August 7, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Should Snyder even be allowed in the same room as Russ Grimm and other Hall of Fame players? God I hate Danny!!!

Posted by: RalphZero | August 7, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

So does this mean Snyder knows what O-linemen actually DO?

Posted by: McLobo | August 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean Snyder knows what O-linemen actually DO?

Posted by: McLobo | August 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

It's time to start retiring numbers officially -- starting with the Hall-of_famers.

33 - Sammy Baugh (only one already retired)
9 - Sonny Jursensen
42 - Charlie Taylor
27 - Ken Houston
44 - John Riggins
20 - Cliff Battles
35 - Bill Dudley
28 - Darrell Green
68 - Russ Grimm
40 - Wayne Millner
49 - Bobby Mitchell
81 - Art Monk

Next, it is time to get a few more into the HOF -- starting with:

55 - Chris Hanburger (9-time pro-bowler)
3 - Mark Mosely (only kicker to win MVP)
87 - Jerry Smith (Retired with the most TD receptions ever for a Tight End)
66 - Joe Jacoby (As good as Russ Grimm)
84 - Gary Clark (Don't think so? Look-up his stats and compare them to Michael Irvin's -- including the rings!)

That's my list. I'll stack that group next to any other team's in NFL history.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Note: I did not include Sam Huff because his greatest years were with the Giants.

Posted by: noslok | August 7, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse