Posted at 3:14 PM ET, 02/ 4/2011

Daniel Snyder on Fed Ex Super Bowl possibility: 'I think we have an opportunity'

By Rick Maese

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder said he doesn't think the weather that's putting a damper on some of this week's Super Bowl festivities in Dallas will necessarily hurt his chances to one day host a Super Bowl in Washington.

"Today, obviously looking out the window, you say, 'Wow, where are we? In Fargo, N.D.?'" Snyder said Friday afternoon in Dallas. "Right now, let's wait until Monday, and you guys tell us. Do it that way: Let the fans experience it and see if they have a great time. Hopefully, it'll be a great game."

Snyder says he's hopeful the Monday reviews of the Super Bowl experience are different than some of the early returns. While he says he intends to bid for a Super Bowl, he's not sure whether he'll put together a bid before or after the 2014 Super Bowl in New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

"I don't know. It's a good question. We've kicked it around. We're not sure whether we bid before or whether or not we wait until right after," Snyder said of the 2014 game. "If they have a great experience there, it could only help us."

He doesn't feel any of the problems experienced this week in North Texas -- from the icy roads to the travel woes -- would necessarily plague a Washington Super Bowl, primarily because the D.C. area is better equipped for bad weather.

"All you've got to do is lay down the salt prior to what they've had so far, they would've been fine," Snyder said. "They don't have equipment here. The thing about our location, D.C., sometimes they don't do it great, but they're prepared on these things.

"We handled 28 inches-and-change a year ago. We had that blizzard. ... I think we had 400 people working double shifts around the clock getting out that snow, if you remember. We cleared the parking lots, the whole thing. We did play. It was fine. It was an amazing storm."

League rules require outdoor temperature of 50 degrees for host cities, but the New York/New Jersey committee's bid was granted a waiver. Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday that this week's weather doesn't necessarily preclude another cold-weather city from hosting a game in an outdoor stadium in the future. This year's game and next year's in Indianapolis will both be in cold-weather cities, but the actual games will take place in enclosed stadiums.

Snyder had tried to lure Super Bowl XLII to Washington with an unsuccessful bid in 2003. A lot has changed since then, he says.

"At the time, they just weren't ready for the outdoor -- now with New York and here, turning to New York, I think we have an opportunity," he said.

But he'll be closely monitoring how Dallas handles the weekend.

"I think we need to play it out, see how the experience is at the end," Snyder said Friday afternoon. "Let the members of the media on Monday review it from the standpoint of the weather and the outcome."

A few other tidbits from Snyder:

On the labor negotiations: "I'm optimistic. I was really proud of Roger, great hands today. He did a great job. As you can see, he's very passionate about the game and the fans, as I am. And my understanding, we want to play football, and he understands that. ... I think the most important thing, what we need to do is take care of the fans. The fans deserve and want football. That's what we need to do. My feeling is, I look forward to Roger and the union pounding it out, working it out and getting it done."

On his role in CBA talks: "That's one committee I'm not on. I'm on everything else. I'm not on that one."

On Donovan McNabb: "First of all, I like Donovan very, very much. I think he's a terrific player, a terrific person, a great leader. But it's up to Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan. I hired them and they're running the show from a football perspective, and I respect them and their judgment. But I'm optimistic on our future overall."

By Rick Maese  | February 4, 2011; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Snyder on City Paper lawsuit: 'All they had to do was apologize'
Next: Redskins considering a move out of Ashburn

Comments

New post...thank god...I'm not reading it though.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 4, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Translation: If Bruce and Mike decide to cut Donovan loose, it's their responsibility and I'm completely behind them. But if they're wrong... "NEXT!!!!"

Posted by: Alan4 | February 4, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

See you on Sunday PlayAction, get ready to get f*cked up, and bring your own bucket to throw-up in!

Posted by: monk811 | February 4, 2011 3:26 PM

See ya then...I'm going to start tomorrow night...and bring two buckets...don't forget the nasal mist!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 4, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"And if we don't get the Superbowl...I'm gonna sue the nuts off of Roger Goodell and everyone else in the league office. Those racist pricks have not seen anything yet. My wife is a saint! Eff you....Eff you....and EFF YOU TOO!!!!!"

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 4, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Dang. I was all set to blame him for the CBA mess.

Posted by: skinswest | February 4, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

When pigs fly. The NFL, in its infinite wisdom, would do well to steer clear of Landover for so long as this greasy little bastard continues to own and destroy his laughingstock of a football franchise.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 4, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"We handled 28 inches-and-change a year ago."

Uh...first of all who talks like this...and second of all...

Oh man was that last thread stressful!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 4, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What the fvck is this all about. I thought this was Redskins blog, not a journalism blog.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 4, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW. This coming from a retired professor from on of the most prestigious private colleges in the states. Nicely done Mr. M.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

There are still a lot of bloggers on the last thread arguing all about journalism. Sure glad we got a new thread.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 4, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Snyder on 106.7..."You guys know I've never sued anyone in the media."

Fans...check
Old Ladies...check
Media..check

Wonder who else is on his bucket list.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 4, 2011 3:43 PM

Did you lock the door behind you?

Who keeps sending them here!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 4, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I realize that the last thread was stressful, but I believe in the toughness of RI. Attached is the complaint.

Paragraph 29 is the most interesting in its claim for damages based on "hurt feelings."

The visual images of Kim Jong Il in Team America or the Big Lebowski in a wheel chair ("strong men also cry") come to mind.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

primarily because the D.C. area is better equipped for bad weather.

This is hilarious. I have lived all around the US, including 10 years in the DC metro area, and the snow handling and people driving in snow is weak at best. It must be better at the Snyder estate, becuase as we know how he handles trees blocking his view, I can only imagine what his people do to snow along his route.

Posted by: murrayh | February 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Snyder didnt got enough attention from his parents growing up, thats why we have the big splash money explosions in the off-season, so he can try to get some attention from his unrequited childhood...I got news for youy, Sunshine, EVERY motherf***er alive has an unrequited childhood...

Posted by: frak | February 4, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

SCAMP!!!! You censoring swine, stand behind your lover, Diesel, I'm going to shoot you both..

Posted by: frak | February 4, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Snyder on 106.7..."You guys know I've never sued anyone in the media."

Fans...check
Old Ladies...check
Media..check

Wonder who else is on his bucket list.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh the list is a good one.

The Government for not paying for a new stadium in DC.
The state of Maryland for not paying for a new stadium in Maryland.
Metro, if they ever provide public transit to a stadium and cut into the parking budget.
Native Americans for their baseless accusations or racism.
Peter Jackson for his obvious slander of short people in The Lord of The Rings.
Orphans for lack of parents to buy merchandise.
And Finally Dan Snyder will sue Dan Snyder for making Dan Snyder look like a total tool.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

This off the wire, in case anybody missed it:

"Fairfax County police spokeswoman Shelley Broderick said a 38-year-old man told investigators he was driving a Honda Civic in suburban Washington when he saw a pickup truck tailgating him and made a hand gesture."

"The driver of the truck, later identified as Haynesworth, got out of his car when the two vehicles stopped and reportedly assaulted the other driver."

"Haynesworth has not been formally charged in the case. But a warrant has been issued in the case, and police have been in touch with Haynesworth's attorney, Broderick said. Arrangements have been made for Haynesworth to meet with officers, and he will appear in Fairfax County General District Court at a later date."

"Simple assault is punishable in Virginia by not more than a year in jail and a fine of $2,500 or less."

Posted by: Samson151 | February 4, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 4, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Dude, WTF is your problem. You don't say sh_t like that.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 4, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who had taken the time to read the lawsuit, (NBC4 had a link yesterday), would have already known this (which is why Snyder commented publicly on a pending legal matter).

So it begs the question why did the City Paper dig in their heels like this?

Kind of proves Snyder's point doesn't it?

Posted by: CapsNut | February 4, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please decipher this for me? WTH does this mean?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 4, 2011 3:22 PM

I think he should drop the "Caps".

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 4, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

good list alex3553535253352

frak- Not sure why you always link me with scamp....I've never once talked politics on the blog.

But if you must know my political affiliation. It's the marry whoever you want party.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

O H , I F O R G O T W E W E R E I N S L O W M O T I O N W O R L D , M Y B A D ...

Posted by: frak | February 4, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth assaulted a man in a case of road-rage....And we're talking about Snyder? These guys seem unfamiliar with the term "news-worthy".

Posted by: wewbank1 | February 4, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

This off the wire, in case anybody missed it, re Albert H. charged with assault:

Posted by: Samson151 | February 4, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

good list alex3553535253352

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"We handled 28 inches-and-change a year ago"

That's what she said.

Not to me.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Super Bowl pick...

Steelers 20
GB 17

Randle El scores a TD
Ryan Clark has an INT
Suisham hits the game winner.

It's pretty much the only way it can go down for us Skins fans.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, bout that Diesel, I belong to the Party Party...xzsieughersi

Posted by: frak | February 4, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"We handled 28 inches-and-change a year ago"

That's what she said.

Not to me.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2011 4:33 PM

She said it to you. She said it about me.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 4, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"We handled 28 inches-and-change a year ago."

Is this Danny-Boy coming out of the closet?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 4, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

She said it to you. She said it about me.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 4, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

In fairness, she did say you handled the 28 inches. She handled the change.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Steelers 20
GB 17

Randle El scores a TD
Ryan Clark has an INT
Suisham hits the game winner.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 4:34 PM

Its the FG that really twists the knife. "Oh, I'm sorry, did I get my back in the way of your knife?"

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Snyder that McKenna and the paper should have retracted the stuff insinuating Snyder is a criminal, and some of the other stuff was over the top too. A retraction and apology would have been the ideal scenario. But I still fail to see how suing will solve anything.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 4, 2011 3:40 PM |

Right about the suit not solving anything. Wrong about everything else. That's a pretty nice improvement for you Barno.

Posted by: mack1 | February 4, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much Capers weighs nowadays. I remember that Heyer burned off a lot of baby fat and got some definition during the offseason after his first year.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Randle El scores a TD
Ryan Clark has an INT

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2011 4:34 PM

What would really be a dagger would be if the TD was off a punt return and the INT was a pick six.

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Good call by Snyder. We sure as hell not going to get there by playing football.

Posted by: Moose33 | February 4, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I neither love nor hate Daniel Snyder.

So on Snyder v. McKenna, I'm sitting it out, at least until all of the facts are on the table and the arguments have been made.

On the Super Bowl, heck yes they should play one at FedEx. No NFL city should be out of consideration for the Super Bowl. In fact, what they oughtta do is just compile a list of all 32 cities at random and then cycle through all 32 cities. Football is a game meant to be played in all conditions, so why exempt the championship game from that?

Posted by: freakzilla | February 4, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

moving out of Ashburn maybe beeps

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"He doesn't feel any of the problems experienced this week in North Texas -- from the icy roads to the travel woes -- would necessarily plague a Washington Super Bowl, primarily because the D.C. area is better equipped for bad weather"

Where the He_ _ was he last week in the snow?

The only Dan Dnyder is going to the Super Bowl is with a ticket and he probably will not pay for it. Cheap Moron.

Posted by: noups | February 4, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Danny's NOT on the CBA commitee ? ... Well then maybe there IS a chance a new CBA gets done before March 4 ....

Posted by: RoidRage | February 5, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant. The BEST owner ever has conceived of a plan to bring the Super Bowl to us that doesn't involve the Redskins escaping last place. The man is a saint, and truly has our interests at heart.

Posted by: jburnetti | February 5, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear NFL

Please do not let Dan Snyder within 100 miles of the Super bowl. He is the only person in the world who could ruin the Super Bowl. He would pull some drama to blame somebody for something. Do not even consider it. Please.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | February 6, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

So freakzilla, sounds like your brain is more vacuous than Snyders. You don't see his mismanagement of the 'Skins? You haven't read the article in question? You aren't offended by his claims of anti-semitism? Seriously, just put a plastic bag over your head because if you don't have an opinion when the details are out there for you then you are a complete helium brain. Snyder is an idiot and doesn't know a thing about actually building something. I give it that he knows how to promote but as the laughing stock of the NFL, there's no way he'll be getting a Super Bowl.

Posted by: Leofwine | February 6, 2011 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Aside from the fast that FedEx is the worst stadium in the NFL and Snyder is the worst owner, I'm DC is on the short list for the Super Bowl.
He's not on the committee? How surprising that even the other owners want nothing to do with him.
Danny the Dwarf lives in a dream world.

Posted by: jos587 | February 6, 2011 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Dannyboy will do just what his protege in Dallas did this week. Put in 400 extra seats at premium cost to some poor suckers and then only have the fire marshal deem the seats as unsafe and take them out leaving the poor fans waiting for a refund in 6 Months. Two peas in a pod, Dannyboy and Jenny Jones! It's all about the money, boycott this a-hole!

Posted by: TKing1 | February 6, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

HA HA HA Dan Snyder so funny he make me laugh hard HA HA. He think we gonna get Superbowl in Washington when everybody laugh at him and Redskins team. HA HA He sue paper. we got fat albert and team lose all the time. HA HA It make me laugh hard for long time.

Posted by: bucsdad | February 8, 2011 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is right, we have a great opportunity to host a Superbowl........In ten years after we build a new 100,000 seat dome on the grounds of RFK. FedEx field is a dump. It should have never been built.

Posted by: Howsthathopeandchangeworkingforyou | February 8, 2011 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Super Bowl @ Fed Ex = $25 beers