For Redskins' ex-coach, the third 'G' stands for 'gag order'

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton had a plan to shut up Gregg Williams, the outspoken defensive coordinator who once served as the Redskins' assistant head coach-defense.

Before the team left the hotel Tuesday morning for Sun Life Stadium and the media press conferences, Payton had a special meal sent over to Williams' table.

"The poor waiter came over the table at brunch this morning and gave me two big jars of peanut butter, saltine crackers and a glass full of sand to wash it down with," Williams recalled this afternoon. "And maybe if I took all that stuff down, I might be able to keep my mouth shut and not say something at Media Day that'll haunt him all week long like I did last week."

Williams last week created a minor stir when he said he hoped his players would deliver some "remember me" hits on Peyton Manning in Sunday's Super Bowl. While many casual fans might be getting a fresh introduction to Williams and his animated style this week, Redskins' fans, of course, are quite familiar.

Williams, who'd been designated the heir apparent to Joe Gibbs, was passed over by Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who, in 2008 hired Jim Zorn, a position coach in Seattle the previous season. Williams spent a year in Jacksonville before joining Payton's staff in New Orleans last year.

So while Zorn has already been hired and fired, Williams is preparing for the Super Bowl. Does he think getting passed over for the Redskins' head coaching job was a blessing in disguise?

"You know what, it has nothing to do with really not getting that, or whatever," he said today. "It was about doing it the right way. I have tremendous feelings for those people up there. Dan's a very good friend of mine. I've told him at some point in time, we'll cross paths again. At that point in time, what he was looking for - he probably wasn't looking for a dominant personality like me. I think he was looking for more a laid-back guy...

"And in all honesty, the next opportunity you get in this profession, sometimes turns out to be the best opportunity you've ever had. It's been a pretty good opportunity so far. It's just hard on the family being apart. It's really one of my favorite places I've ever lived. I
still have that home up there in Leesburg. And I may keep it for a long, long time, just because I really like that area of the country."

Because the Saints have been playing every weekend, Williams obviously wasn't a candidate for the head coaching job when Zorn was let go last month. But he had nothing but nice things to say about the man Snyder has picked.

"I think he's done a tremendous job in hiring Mike Shanahan," Williams said. "Mike Shanahan is one of my close friends in this league. And one of the people I have tremendous respect for on the offensive side of the ball. There's a lot of them I don't. He does."

There are plenty of people around the league who thinks Williams' son, Blake Williams, could end up on Shanahan's staff after the Super Bowl.

Blake Williams is currently a coaching assistant on the Saints' staff. He interned with the Redskins in 2006-07 and was a defensive assistant on Williams' staff in Jacksonville.

By Rick Maese  |  February 2, 2010; 2:22 PM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis says he expects to return to Redskins and to be healthy
Next: Redskins' hiring of McCardell is official

Comments

Nice comments, especially if it gets your kid a job.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 2, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

9-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth To Healthy Baby Boy.

In north-east China, an unnamed Chinese girl gave birth by Caesarean section to a health baby boy. She was 9 years old. She was bought to a hospital in Changchun when she was eight and a half months pregnant, and gave birth there, a Chinese newspaper reported.

-----------

Red DMV creeps the world extensively.

Northeast China is one of his favorite haunts.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 2, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Sam Shepard character in his new play "Ages of the Moon" at the Atlantic Theatre Company in NYC:

"I swear, [it was] some girl I would never in a million years have ever returned to for even a minor blow-job".

Posted by: ElevatorAl | February 2, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

With all these former Skins on the Saints roster and all these posts about them, it's kind of like having the Skins in the Superbowl!!!

...except, not...

Posted by: p1funk | February 2, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know what Terry Robiskie is doing??????

Oh well maybe that will be the next post

Posted by: GreatOne1 | February 2, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElevatorAl | February 2, 2010 2:42 PM |

ElevatorAl, having awarded "lame turd blogger" to me and MistaMoe has gotten jealous and launched a relentless campaign to claim the title for himself.

You win, Al. Congrats. You can go back to the Nationals' blog now, knowing that you're a winner.

Posted by: League-Source | February 2, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What position coach would Williams son be in line for?

Posted by: Devo2 | February 2, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What position coach would Williams son be in line for?

Posted by: Devo2 | February 2, 2010 2:59 PM

Goffer: Drive to the airport to pick people up; bring the hot donuts from Krispy Kreme for coaching meetings; wake up calls for Fred Davis. The sort of stuff that makes the team work, but doesn't get you on TV very often.

Posted by: League-Source | February 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

An all-time shrewd move there Danny, getting rid of Grilliams for Zorn.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 2, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What position coach would Williams son be in line for?

Posted by: Devo2 | February 2, 2010 2:59 PM
-----------------------------

Can he play LT?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 2, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

What position coach would Williams son be in line for?

Posted by: Devo2 | February 2, 2010 2:59 PM
-----------------------------

Can he play LT?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 2, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll call your LT and raise you a FS.

Posted by: Devo2 | February 2, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll call your LT and raise you a FS.

Posted by: Devo2 | February 2, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------

If the FS does his job, our crappy LT will be on the field more. If the LT does his job, our crappy FS will be on the field less. Im thinkin LT.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Looking at his comments from the last thread, it appears that Chia_Pet has taken TheTruth11's place as someone who pays way too much attention to what I have to say on this blog. I mean seriously, it's kind of creepy. Please chia, let my nuts go.... you worse than your mama with that sh*t.

I don't remember what most people posted a few days ago let alone months ago, but this Chia_S*it can tell you what I do for a living, what type of unit I dwell in, a time when I booked a chick on the Metro (I fu_ked too, chia, in case you were using that as "beat off" material)... This dude is the Glenn Close of RI...

Hey chia_bama, here's what you should do next time: Mind your own fu_king business, or don't mind snark post that aren't addressed to you. If you would've done this I wouldn't have talked about your moms, and besides that wasn't the first time you had some side-ways sh*t to say to me. You're like the little kid who keeps throwing sticks and rocks at the beehive, then cry like a little pu**y when he gets stung over 50 times.

So there, you got about 4 paragraphs just for your ass. Now remove the kid's nuts from your mouth and pass them to your mama, b*tch.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 2, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

The Oscar choices are tough this year.

"Avatar"--seen it

"The Hurt Locker"--haven't seen it.

"Up"--seen it.

"Up in the Air"--haven't seen it.

"Precious"--haven't seen it.

"Inglorious Basterds"--haven't seen it.

"Moe and League-Source do Elevator Al"--seen it.

Moe goes with "Avatar".

That movie is a game-changer in the way "Star Wars," "Jaws," and "Debbie Does Dallas" was.

The difference is that the next time around, elevator al's jaws will be the star in the war with these blue nutz.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

red

"Classic dish but can't take, a pu**y ass bama that likes to run his mouth and then when he gets called out on it cries about how I took it too personal."

Get the guy's address, and send him a tampon.

Better yet, I'll have elevator al take it over.

He'll be the next one crying up in here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 2, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope CP stays in DC and we invest in a line that can block. If they trade CP & Cooley that would be big mistakes.

Posted by: bert3 | February 2, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Portis is untradeable at this point because of the 7+ million he is owed, his age, his declining level of production, and his injury status. As for Cooley, I like him too, but would be willing to part with him for the right price (say, in a trade with Denver for Brandon Marshall, who admittedly is a headcase, but is also an absolute stud). According to the Denver media, Marshall will be traded after next month, and Denver's pass-catching tight end, Tony Scheffler, is apparently also on the outs with the franchise. http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_14283046?source=commented- http://community.kdvr.com/_Agent-Reacts-to-Broncos-TE-Tony-Schefflers-benching/BLOG/1687965/96399.html

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 2, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Moe...

RedDMV and me have a long history of blog fighting. He's been tossing "your mama" jokes my way for sometime now.

and no, "your mama" barbs weren't funny then, they ain't funny now, and neither are any of the blog bully vulgarity laced posts he slings around up here on the regular...

at whomever.

for God only knows what purpose.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 2, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

chi_pet

Then I'm sorry for getting inour our bidniz with red.

beep-beep, btw

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 2, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before...

and I'm no shrink, but my guess for RedDMV's peculiar brand of perverted megalomania is that he's overcompensating for some profound deficiency in his everyday life.

In no way, am I advocating that he becomes a pet owner, but most sociopaths like him get a dog or a cat to kick around.

Next...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 2, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I lost all respect for Gregg Williams last Sunday. I have no problem with knocking a QB out if the hit is legal. You could tell through the Viking game though that the Saints hit Favre late on purpose. That's just utter BS. Some fans might not care but I think trying to hurt a QB will illegal hits is wrong.

I wanted the Saints to win but found myself rooting for the Vikings after the one shot to Favre's leg that was clearly illegal.

I hope Peyton Manning whips their ass this Sunday.

Posted by: redskinssince96 | February 2, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

i liked jim zorn, but g williams would have lead that team into the playoffs. vinny cerrato though ultimately screwed that up.

Posted by: BMACattack | February 2, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Williams beef was always with Vinny not Snyder. Snyder's mistake was choosing Vinny over GW which lead to this disaster that was responsible for the last two years and the 3 years of Vinny before that (pre-Gibbs II).

Either way Cerrato is gone and the Caps are on an 11 game winning streak. Life is good.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 2, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't appreciate the vulgar attemps at humor.

Grade school children can access this site.

Posted by: wmdskinfan0f60yrs | February 2, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"Snyder's mistake was choosing Vinny over GW..."

Yeah, he let Ceratto run the asylum for too long. :(

- Ray