Posted at 6:04 AM ET, 12/10/2010

Joe Gibbs praises Redskins owner Dan Snyder's role in Courage House

By Jason Reid

Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder was among the driving forces behind the Ed Block Courage House for Washington, D.C., a youth home that was dedicated during a ceremony Thursday, being placed on the campus of Youth For Tomorrow in Bristow, Va.

"We're really here today to celebrate this out here, for Youth For Tomorrow," Snyder said. "This is a special day for us out here."

Joined by former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, who founded Youth For Tomorrow, Snyder was praised for his role in the project and for contributing $1.3 million to Gibbs's foundation during his time leading the team.

Gibbs said Snyder provided the financial support long before he agreed to a second stint (2004-07) to coach the Redskins, "and so, I think that says a lot about Dan," said Gibbs, who introduced Snyder during the program in the campus auditorium. "I appreciate him, all that he's done for the youth home."

The Ed Block courage award foundation was established in 1984 to memorialize Ed Block, a renowned trainer for the Baltimore Colts from 1954-1977. The foundation focuses on helping to improve the lives of abused children. The Redskins Courage House on the Youth For Tomorrow campus is the 21st home in the network.

"It's an honor and a privilege to be involved," Snyder said. "The Ed Block courage award, and everything you guys stand for is very, very special.

"We appreciate it very, very much, everything you've done throughout the years. It's special. And the relationship is special. And it means a lot to us."

By Jason Reid  | December 10, 2010; 6:04 AM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Torain on track to start Sunday
Next: Statistical analysis: Not too soon for a post-mortem

Comments

"Dan really gives his guts out and is super charitable."

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 10, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

I'd be shocked if the Ed Block Courage Award doesn't go to our very own...Albert Haynesworth. Consider this quote and how tough the conditions of his employment have actually been.

“Just because somebody pay you money don’t mean they’ll make you do whatever they want or whatever. I mean, does that mean everything is for sale?

“I mean, I’m not for sale. Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but … that don’t mean I’m for sale or a slave or whatever.”

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 10, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

"Dan really gives his guts out and is super charitable."

Indeed.

Poor, dumb, fat, lazy, childish, immature, self-centered, unmotivated types like Albert Haynesworth are forever grateful that Mr. Snyder saw fit to contribute $21 million dollars to make sure he could maintain a lifestyle much unlike the deserving kids who reside in Courage House.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 10, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Amen, Moe.

I would have loved to see Snyder's charitable contributions extend to cutting off the flow of cash to the AH Enabling Fund and diverting that pipeline of benjamins to something more worthy like the Courage House...but I guess what's done is done...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'm just frustrated that all this tough guy talk comes long after they could have REALLY done something about it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2010 7:30 AM

I'd like to see what the end game is here before passing judgment about what they should have done and when. First off, they thought/hoped Albert would crack and become a player for them. They were wrong, but I wouldn't judge them on that based on hindsight. Second, though, this may have been about getting some of his bonus money back. And they couldn't have done that without giving him time to build up a record of refusing to honor his contract. Third, I think it took a while to bring the rest of the team around to the view that this guy should be gone. Fourth, they had to wait until week 12 so that his suspension would be for the rest of the season. Can't really suspend him for four games in week 8 then have him back for the last four games.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 10, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

An extra check from the team for something like $850,000 -- perhaps even donated in the name of the Big Dood himself -- would be an especially-nice and timely gesture for this worthwhile charity.

Not that anyone should profit from Albert's selfishness and stupidity, but if someone must -- I can't think of anyone more worthy than these poor kids.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 10, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

You're right, the SportsBog is a much better blog.

As of Monday, we're shutting things down here, and carving out new terrority there.

I wish you all well.

But a blogga has gotta do what a blogga has gotta do.

Ciao----

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 10, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I know we were all hoping they would do that very same thing last year. Let's hope they learned their lesson and do it this year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 9, 2010 11:13 AM
---------------
scamp,
aren't you happy w/trent williams? i think that was a good use of such a high pick. this year i certainly would like to trade down and stock up, since everyone seems to think it'll be a "stretch" to draft interior linemen as high as we're likely to be drafting.

(btw, i think i recently saw a post about you being an architect from ga tech? me: architect from VA TECH)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 9, 2010 11:44 AM |

Indeed I am happy with Trent. He wasn't enough though. We really needed quite a few more high rounders especially since we traded a few of 'em away.

Architect from VT huh? Nice. Was that course as hard as it was at GT? I swear I only got 30 hours of sleep the whole time I was there. How's business these days?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 9, 2010 3:49 PM
---------------------
scamp,
we just didn't have many picks to work with. same with this year, though i think we have more than last year. i sure would like to trade down and just draft a bunch of linemen. also, the free agent class should be really good given the CBA and all that, so i bet shanallen will be active in every way they can think of. i expect to see LOTS of turnover again this offseason.

VT was hard but fun. pulled many an all-nighter drawing and building models. i own my own company now doing residential work. business getting better, but isn't as good as it once was.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 10, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

But a blogga has gotta do what a blogga has gotta do.

Ciao----

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 10, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, Moe!

We need you right where you are and we certainly don't want to start worrying about plugging even more holes on this blog.

How about a nice lucrative, incentive laden seven-year deal -- with player and team options for a few more beyond that?

Or should we just nail you with the franchise tag -- for a final year here as one of the most highly paid in the business?

We may not have much talent here -- but we do have lots of WAPO points!

Posted by: Vic1 | December 10, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I told ya Moe...much better content over at the Bog, but to be honest I'd miss the back-and-forth with some of the RI "regulars". Or maybe, as evidenced by my rooting interests in DC sports, I'm just a glutton for punishment...

Beep, all that makes sense dude...I'm just sayin' if the point of singling out AH is to change the culture here, then the money shouldn't matter. Snyder has wasted much more money in the past so I don't see why this instance has to beget some huge effort to save his cash. If this whole thing is about money, then that's not changing the culture...that's furthering the culture of dysfunction.

I just wanna see them cut bait and move on. If this were about football, they would have by now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Of course Gibbs is going to praise the Danny. He collected millions from him to bring us recollections of glories past and then bailed when he experienced the meddling ones micro management. Snyder steals from the fans, buys helicopters, jets, blocks access to the stadium from non paying parking areas, sues old ladies for not continuing their ticket contracts, (I need to stop, cause this could go on forever) and then is held up to the public as this great benefactor. Please the guy is a "dark heart" with a big PR org. Riggo has this AH's number. I wouldn't buy one NFL thing until this guy is out of the club.

Posted by: Riverrat66 | December 10, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

monk811- self proclaimed genius?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 9, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

No, not SELF proclaimed, but if it's pabrian2003-proclaimed then I'll take it!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 10, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I thought our Almighty and Powerful Wizard of Blog was the only one who could hand out Courage, Heart and Brains?

Could someone please copy any paste some skins updates up in this joint?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 10, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

give me a second play, I'll jump on PFT and see what they have brewing.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 10, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Your wish is my command PA...from John Keim at the Examiner:

Redskins Notes

…Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said the Redskins might be forced to make a decision on safety LaRon Landry on Monday or Tuesday, whether or not to place him on injured reserve. It could be getting to that point as well with corner Carlos Rogers.

Earlier in the day, Landry said he would return at some point this season. But he and Rogers both have yet to practice this week. It’s hard to imagine either one playing vs. Tampa Bay after missing multiple games and then not being able to practice until late in the week.

…Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said he’s hopeful that left tackle Trent Williams will be able to play the entire game vs. Tampa Bay.

… Running back Ryan Torain practiced and should be fine. But James Davis has earned more carries after what he showed vs. the New York Giants. Davis said he was feeling more comfortable in the running game. And Kyle Shanahan said, “He did a good job for us. He made some plays on a screen and we were excited. I thought he had more opportunities than he did vs. Minnesota and he showed us some good things.”

…Coach Mike Shanahan on whether or not Brandon Banks can play receiver in the NFL: “I know he can. Now, can he take those shots consistently? I’m not really sure about that, but people haven’t gotten a lot of big shots on him thus far. He’s got that illusiveness that most people don’t have. Hopefully we’ll find out here.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/redskins-notes#ixzz17iZBMrxu

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Landry and Rogers should both be on IR, we need to see what our young players can do. Speaking of that, any word at all about either Capers or Cook moving to the 53 or playing soon???

Posted by: monk811 | December 10, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

monk, agreed, I said this yesterday, if LL tears that thing completely, then he'll be gone for a long time...not worth the risk....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks brown...and agree monk...good time to get the kids some experience.

Man, that Stubblefield sounds like he's up to some shenanigans...you can plug Alberts name in there in 5 to 10 years.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 10, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, a post about something GOOD Snyder is doing with his money, and no sign of Hess this morning. Coincidence? I think not!!! Give us a new post Reid so Hess'll come back, I can't wait to see DIVE ASS again!

Posted by: monk811 | December 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 10, 2010 9:28 AM

Sounds like he has girl troubles (possibly associated with steroids shrinking the ol' trouser snake?):

Former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield has been sentenced to 90 days in jail for stealing his ex-girlfriend’s mail.

Stubblefield was already on probation for lying to investigators in the Balco case about his steroid use during his playing days. Now he has admitted to turning in a change of address form so his ex-girlfriend’s mail, including her unemployment checks, would be sent to his house.

Last year Stubblefield resigned as an assistant football coach at Valley Christian High School after an ex-fiancee took out a restraining order against him and claimed he threatened to kill her.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 10, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

After catching up on the posts, I see there is basically no good news - except for Youth For Tomorrow.

The 'skins can't stop the run and now are likely to miss 3/4 of their starting secondary. In all likelyhood, the stadium will be nearly empty in the fourth quarter and Sunday night traffic will be not as bad as other Sundays.

Of course, if the 'skins do pull off a win; they are still alive for a winning season, the playoffs, and will likely give Landry and Rogers one more week to heal.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 10, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Turning in a change of address form to have her mail sent to his house....hmmm.

Nothing like providing investigators with the address of where to come pick up the perp...and all the documentation a prosecutor would need...all in a convenient, gov't issued, postcard format.

I see Dana has done a lot of growing since his days in the B&G.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I see Dana has done a lot of growing since his days in the B&G.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

They should put him on the next episode of 'America's Dumbest Criminals'!

Posted by: monk811 | December 10, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't want a winning season, I want the highest 2011 draft pick that a 5-11 season can produce. 7-9 or 8-8 will simply mask how bad this team is and how far they are behind the other NFC East teams.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 10, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | December 10, 2010 10:05 AM

The one instance when winning the tiebreakers is NOT a good thing!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It should tell you something about Stubblefield that despite having NFL Rookie of the Year, NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and 3 Pro Bowls on his resume, last year he resigned from his job as: "assistant football coach at Valley Christian High School."

With that resume, can't even get the head gig at a high school. Ouch!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | December 10, 2010 10:05 AM

Complete loser mentality...the Colts and Pats pick in the back part of every round every year and still manage to get good players. The Lions and Bengals routinely pick atop the draft and you see how far that's gotten them. If your GM is worth a sh*t, he should be able to find players in the draft regardless of where he's picking. Tanking the season for a higher pick is about as stupid a thing as you could possibly do in professional sports...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dive Ass Nerd Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | December 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | December 10, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

In terms of a pick, yes you are right, 5-11 would net a top 10 pick, maybe top 6 or 7. However once you get out of the top 5 or so, the talent level seems to stay the same till the early 2nd round, so to me whether it is the 10th pick or the 20th pick, it doesn't matter. Also, with our major needs being WR, G, and NT, I don't see any of them going in the top 10 this year, so we can afford to win a few games and get a lower pick and still be able to draft someone decent.

I rooted for us to lose the last few games last year so we could get a better player, so I'm not doing that anymore. Right now this franchise needs some momentum going into next year, so if winning the last 4 games this year does that, then I'm all for it!

Posted by: monk811 | December 10, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | December 10, 2010 10:05 AM

We've become so shell-shocked from 18 years of losing we've forgotten how to be fans and what the point to all of this is...which is winning games and enjoying it. Soon, we will be in the offseason and won't have Redskin games to look forward to. Enjoy them...root for wins! The few draft slots we give up in the process? Big deal. They aren't going to make the difference. The perennially good teams pick at the end of rounds every year. Doesn't stop them.
I know the draft has grown in interest and the offseason is often more fun for us lately than the real season, but c'mon...you're rooting for losses?! Why are nebulous, undefined, future games more important than these games? The "can't miss" prospect you might miss out on drafting...often misses, right? The Redskins have endured a tumultuous season, culminating with a 350lb, long-overdue, enima. A strong December would go a long way to bolstering the the coaching staff and the confidence of the young players we've worked in and would probably make for a more productive offseason. This will mean a heck of a lot more than any draft position will.
I know, strategically, there is a something to be gained with a better draft position. But, did you see the frustration on the face of Orakpo Sunday? Losing is a cancer. A dose of radiation, in the form of winning, this December will give us a leg up on beating the cancer back for good. Besides, if there is a lockout in 2011, you'll be hating the fact that you wished for losses in these last few precious chances to root for the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse