More on Swanson's departure

With a second minicamp just a few days away, we'll be focusing a lot more on the roster later this week. But for now, just a few more details of the departure of Karl Swanson, the team's long-time senior vice president.

Our previous post on Swanson noted that he's leaving the team immediately. It's believed Monday was his last day. An announcement on his successor could come this week.

We've heard from some sources at Redskins Park who say Swanson is leaving on his volition, and that team owner Daniel Snyder would've been happy to have him around for a long time. There are family reasons behind the move.

Because Swanson had a front-row seat for most aspects of the Snyder's tenure as team owner, we thought we'd share with you the entirety of the e-mail he sent to team employees on Monday:

"Today is my last day working at Redskins Park.

Family responsibilities truly are most important, though too often we resist that notion. For me, not any longer, and Dan Snyder has been totally supportive and understanding of the situation.

I've been fortunate to spend my working days inside one of the most fascinating workplaces on earth. Then, I got to go to games and see all members of the Redskins team - not just the players and coaches - put on their game faces and help produce one of the greatest shows on
earth! And I got to do it again and again.

There was nothing like it. And there never will be again for me.

I know the team will be doing great things in the coming years, and I will be watching (maybe in person for the games in the Northeast) and supporting you all every step of the way.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Rick Maese  |  May 3, 2010; 11:47 PM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder  | Tags: Daniel Snyder, Football, Redskins Park, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Swanson, Snyder's longtime "henchman," is leaving
Next: Redskins offer spot to Texans' public relations official

Comments

Dear Diary,
Today, I got to drive the golf cart! Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Posted by: daggar | May 3, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Is the chemo working? Get him outta here. Redskins fans are being abused by these people. Pay $8 for that whisper of Miller Lite. So Fat Albert and FAT wallet Snyder laughs to the bank. Time to think about being a true fan. This is not JKC team...they don't even play in DC anymore. That great heritage is dead and its sad.

Sign Romo in a few years.

Get it?

Posted by: dmlopez1 | May 4, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Hire Michael Irvin and Emmet to be consultants. We already had Norv. F ing Danny White.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | May 4, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Lets get Jay Novachek to teach Chris Cooley how to shut his mouth.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | May 4, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

dmlopez, you're aware it was JKC who moved the team out of DC, right? Just making sure... as has been oft noted up here, that's one grievous misstep in the franchise's history that can't be blamed on Snyder.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 4, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I think you better recall Marko Mitch quick! Give the man a F-ing chance for gods sake!! A competent team will snatch him very soon!!

Posted by: iubiquity | May 4, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I read the lengthy article on Swanson a while back. He was definitely part of the problem.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX,
Right. I forgot about that. I've been away from the district for a decade. Nothing will compare to RFK. Not even Mike. Shannahan

Posted by: dmlopez1 | May 4, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX,

Posted by: dmlopez1 | May 4, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Agree wholeheartedly on missing RFK, dmlopez.

And please don't mistake me for a Snyder apologist... in general, when in doubt I point the finger of blame squarely at Dan Snyder. I just try to come correct when it's some egregious transgression-for-the-ages like moving the team out of the District.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 4, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Swanson made me poop my pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 4, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

For the fun and friviolity of it, I checked how Mike Shanahan does against the NFC East. Most importantly, how does a zone blocking scheme do against the smashmouth defensive schemes of the NFC East in respect to running. I believe Kyle Shanahan will bring his passing offense (#1 in the NFL last year though he had Andre Johnson and Daniel Owens receiving) and the sample size is far too small (and non-existant) so I figured let's take a look at the Shanahan coached team in general and more importantly, the running game.

Mike Shanahan's overall record (2 year sample size (2005 and 2001), 5 games [Skins excluded]) - 5-0... With the Skins it's 6-1. I can't find the game they played against the Eagles in 2001, so that's not there. 75 carries, 511 yards, 5 TD in 2005 (that's 25 carries, 170 yards/game, 2.67 TDs and a 6.8 YPC average). Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell were the RBs for Denver back then. 56 carries, 228 yards, 1 TD in 2001. That's 28 carries, 114 yards and .5 TD a game (4.1 YPC). Against the Giants, Terrell Davis played (4.8 YPC) whereas against the Cowboys, Mike Anderson (3.8 YPC) played, so that probably has something to do with it. I realize that the 2005 season was completely different than the 2010 season WILL be. The intent was to look at how Shanahan's zone blocking scheme (in reference to rushing) and general game management fared against the NFC East which has been very power orientated since it's inception.

Posted by: lostcause017 | May 4, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Truth be told, it was more Sharon Pratt Kelly and the incompetent D.C. Government that moved the Redskins out of D.C than Cooke.

Cooke tried for years to get his stadium built in the District and the City Government just couldn't get their act together. Just like D.C. United's long-waited stadium.

It's a minor miracle that the baseball team got theirs.

Posted by: CapsNut | May 4, 2010 6:00 AM | Report abuse

"Then, I got to go to games and see all members of the Redskins team - not just the players and coaches - put on their game faces and help produce one of the greatest shows on earth! And I got to do it again and again."

Is this guy f-ing serious? Either he was watching highlights of the 1991 season in lieu of the actual games all those years or he's a completely full of sh*t...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 6:02 AM

What gets me is that he was supposed to be involved with public relations and promoting the Redskins image and this was his farewell. He couldn't write a better paragraph than this. They probably didn't give him enough time to pack up his office, get out of the building, and write his little "good bye" thingie. Maybe with him gone relations will improve with the WaPo -- sort of like Donald Rumsfeld resigning -- and we'll win the war?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Brown
Sad but true he's right. This team has been masquerading as the Redskins for a long time. I hope the new Redskins establish a new identity and soon. That means from the front office down to the players.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 4, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I guess we'll see...can't be much worse than it's been the last decade.

Hopefully, this is indeed a housecleaning of all the inept Snyder cronies that have helped run this franchise into the ground. If the series of moves this team has made over the course of the last few months don't pan out, we're in much more trouble then we ever imagined. Because now we're getting down to only one common thread between now and 10 years ago when Snyder took over.

Dan Snyder.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Don't bank on a permanent housecleaning. All it takes is an 0-4 start for Dan to make that fateful phone call, "Vinny, Karl, we're putting the band back together."

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | May 4, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | May 4, 2010 6:57 AM

Nah, he's gonna give these guys more leeway than that. It'll take another 4-12 season before he makes that call. 0-4 start only leads to "Get me Sherm Lewis on the line. We need him here to call plays for the Shanahans." Wouldn't you love to be there when he explains this to Mike Shanahan?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | May 4, 2010 6:57 AM

Considering Marty Schottenheimer started 0-5 and didn't have that happen, I'm not sure where you'd get that from. And if this team were to start 0-4 and have the same type of finish they had under Marty in '01, I think Danny's learned enough to know you don't break up that kinda momentum.

And I can tell you right now, the only way we're 0-4 is if McNabb is hurt and we have to roll with Rex "Pick Six" Grossman for a month.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't you love to be there when he explains this to Mike Shanahan?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 7:06 AM

There would be no discussion...it would just be Shanny's size 6 penny loafer wedged into Danny's ass...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:

Daniel Snyder has a rough week
Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2010 7:15 AM ET
For the most part, the Redskins and owner Daniel Snyder have had a good offseason. But the past few days aren't among the best that Snyder has experienced since the 2009 football season ended.

For starters, Snyder is losing his entire equity investment in Six Flags amusement part as part of the troubled company's emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Snyder also will leave the company's board of directors. (Former ESPN exec Mark Shapiro, installed as CEO of Six Flags by Snyder, will remain in that position.)

More recently, senior V.P. of public relations Karl Swanson is leaving the Redskins. He joined the team when Snyder bought it 11 years ago, and Swanson has worked with Snyder since 1996. Though the Washington Post speculates that the departure of the man who served as Snyder's primary media mouthpiece arises from the culture change at Redskins Park, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports via Twitter that Swanson "does need the family time he now is taking," due to an 88-year-old mother-in-law who is in declining health and a 12-year-old daughter who "is being shuttled among friends." (And that's the primary problem with the widespread habit of folks being forced out of a job claiming that they are going to "pursue other interests" or "spend more time with their families." The use of those excuses as cover for a termination or forced resignation creates suspicion even when they are the real reasons for a given move.)

We've heard from Swanson from time to time over the years, and even when he disagreed with one of our reports or opinions regarding the team, he was always polite, respectful, and accessible. We wish him and his family well.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Purge out the poison...

Posted by: gixxer998 | May 4, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:

Daniel Snyder has a rough week

Daniel Snyder has had a rough week? Skins fans have had a rough decade!

Posted by: stwasm | May 4, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

You know...........the more you find out about the people around Snyder.........maybe Riggo was right!!!!!!
Just not a good guy.

Posted by: RealConservative | May 4, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

It's a minor miracle that the baseball team got theirs.

Posted by: CapsNut | May 4, 2010 6:00 AM

JKC ran into problems not just with DC, but also National Park Service, Alexandria, Fairfax, Loudon, Anne Arundel...

here's a nice synopsis:

I like to complain about FedEx, and would much prefer a different design located in DC.

but the fact is... FedEx would be a lot better if the 'skins could simply win.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"..........on their game faces and help produce one of the greatest shows on
earth!"

And therein lies the problem. It's no longer football. Eliminate t.v. timeouts, multiple substitutions, and all the other changes which have turned this "game" into glorified arena football. Let's have more mud bowls with the winning scores 7-6. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 4, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

not a bad night on the Boston sports scene...if I do say so myself...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 4, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 4, 2010 8:11 AM

second your point on TV timeouts, although that cash cow is never going away.

it's interesting that I don't really notice them when watching on TV (time to grab a beer), but they kill the flow of the game when you're there in person.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

FedEx would be a lot better if the 'skins could simply win.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 8:11 AM

I wish it were that simple. I watched the 'Skins win in FedEx, and I'll never go back. It is a horrible experience, especially for the money they charge. Only a jerk like Jack Kent Cooke could have built that stadium and put it in RalJon, Maryland.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Let's have more mud bowls with the winning scores 7-6. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 4, 2010 8:11 AM

Um, we HAVE had scores like that...only without the mud. That's why the Shanahans are here and not Zorny the Pinhead.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"The intent was to look at how Shanahan's zone blocking scheme...against the NFC East which has been very power orientated since it's inception."

We did this way back around the time of Shanahan's hiring.

His leftovers in Denver posted a 4.3/8 yards per rush against the NFC East in '09.

They had issues running against Balmer and the stilllers, two teams that employ the 3-4/4-3 hybrid look.

I still think the tandem of Portis/Parker will rush for a combined 1,700-1,800 yards.

We'll see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 8:19 AM

well... you're right. I was trying to be equanimous.

let's just say that "a lot better" starting from a very low baseline still doesn't count for much.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

although I don't put the blame squarely on JKC... see above @ 8:11 am.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 8:19 AM

Yeah, but most of the issue with the gameday experience is the unnecessary gridlock. Simply having Metro access would make the experience a thousand times better. Depending on when you leave, you spend more time traveling to and from the game than you are actually at it. That's miserable, regardless of the outcome.

I wish there were a way the Skins could play at Verizon Center...Abe Pollin couldn't have picked a better location. There's nothing better than hopping on the Metro, going up an escalator and being right at the entrance to the stadium. Saves what feels like a million hours navigating PG County.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

(repost)

Gotta question:

Does all of this (Marko getting released, the sudden T.O. rumors)suggest McNabb came to camp, threw some balls to guys he eventually found wanting, and the team has responded by auditioning vet types to augment MK, Moss, and Thomas?

I'd say, yes.

Posted by: MistaMoe

I'm not doing well at reading the tea leaves on this.

I'm sure there are reasons behind these moves -- it's not obvious to me what the reasons are.

Posted by: zcezcest1

There are no tea leaves o read here.

I think the coaching staff looked at tape of the voluntary practice McNabb came to, thought about the logic of depending so heavily on 3-4 unproven receivers, and decided to take a look around for a vet who can be a 'move the chains' possession receiver type.

Whether it be Wade or Galloway, both have a track record--such as it is--as NFL receivers.

And Marko doesn't, despite the 'potential' argument.

And that's why he got released.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"Thanks to all of you - especially Dan -- for your friendship and support all these years. I will miss you all."

"For me, not any longer, and Dan Snyder has been totally supportive and understanding of the situation."

It will take poor Karl years of counseling to get through the trauma of being Dan's lackey for all of those years.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Simply having Metro access would make the experience a thousand times better.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 8:29 AM

This is true, but a thousand times a very small number is still a small number. When I was there there were fights in the stands with Jets fans, beer thrown, and more anger and hate in the stands than you find on this blog. Here it's at least anonymous. There it's in your face and in your kids' faces. Moving the stadium to DC won't solve that. And, to be fair, a lot of people are attracted to the stadium by precisely the things that I find repellent.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 4, 2010 1:47 AM

Always a valuable contribution.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 4, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Police use Taser on Phillies fan. I need to see more of this!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 8:42 AM

as much as I dislike baseball, it's a much better experience for kids (especially minor league). college football and hoops are usually pretty decent for the little ones, too. never taken them to a pro football game, and doubt that I will until they're much older.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

not a bad night on the Boston sports scene...if I do say so myself...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 |

Three teams are built for the playoffs, Celtics, Lakers, Spurs. All benefit from more defensive oriented game in the playoffs, extra time off between games, familiarity of opponent where coaching and scouting pays off.

Not to say sheer athleticism (Cavs, Sun, Magic) can't overcome that but another big X-Factor is who the network wants in the finals.

Those who wrote off Ray Allen getting comeuppance,

Posted by: TheCork | May 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

does anybody here see a way they'll rebuild/refurbish RFK to make a new stadium for the 'skins. that was such a perfect location for a stadium. not only was it in, well, WASHINGTON, but it was beautifully situated right on the axis of the mall.

in my fantasy world, when they build the new stadium there it will be much "steeper" - so the upper deck fans are "right on top of" the field.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 8:42 AM

Dude, that's pretty much ANY stadium in the NFL. Go to Philly or NY and see how that works out. Nowadays people equate paying high ticket prices with a free pass to act the fool in public.

I went to a game at FedEx a few years back and a Lions fan was acting beligerent enough to get tossed. That's right. A Lions fan. I still don't know what's more shocking--a Lions fan that is, you know, a Lions fan, a Lions fan willing to travel to support the team, or a Lions fan mouthy enough to get tossed from an NFL stadium.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Cork, ray-ray got written off more last year, because he lost his shot/legs, but this year he's been solid. Garnett on the other hand appears to be on his last legs, although playing better this series....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 4, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"One of the greatest shows on earth?" A 4-12 team?? He's a REAL PR guy.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 4, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

moodly--You're right about baseball and the stadium experience, but the biggest problem with kids and baseball is explaining the game to them. They're raised on soccer which is very straightforward -- kick the ball into the net. Baseball? "You can run on a fly ball out, but only after you've tagged up." Etc. It is not an intuitive sport.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 4, 2010 8:52 AM

it's all just pipe dreams for wistful fans like me... the terms of the lease require the team to stay at FedEx until 2027, since the state of Maryland and PG county put up $70 million for infrastructure (e.g. road improvements, utilities).

here's an old piece from several years ago:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"...does anybody here see a way they'll rebuild/refurbish RFK to make a new stadium for the 'skins. that was such a perfect location for a stadium."

Why not have a late November home game in the Naionals' baseball staduim to guage interest?

The gate migh be less, but if you extent the offer to season ticket holders, it suddenly comes across as the team reaching out and showing respect to its fanbase.

After all: a little p.r. never hurt anyody.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 9:04 AM

Because you can't play football in that stadium. Better idea is to play the game at RFK.

But why do you have to "gauge interest"? This is like tossing an apple into the air to see if gravity is still working.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"One of the greatest shows on earth?" A 4-12 team?? He's a REAL PR guy.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 4, 2010 9:00 AM

If being delusional is the requirement for being good at PR, then methinks there's a high number of PR "professionals" here on RI...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"Baseball? It is not an intuitive sport."

Yeah, you're right: why teach your kids to think?

Don't let them learn how baseball works.

I've got an 8 year old daughter who will see an baseball graphic on YES, and will say, "Tex went 3-4?"

"Cool."

I guess teaching her to interpret information and how to understand complex strategies will somehow ruin her.

Thank god I also have her playing soccer three nights a week.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

moe, please, PLEASE tell me that you're not raising your kids as yankee fans.....come on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 4, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

moodlymoodlymoo,
thanks for the link. one can dream. i suppose there are ways it could happen. if snyder wants to pay off some people i bet he could make it happen. it could be part of snyder's rehabilitation. (this is more of my long-term redskins fantasy....) it has begun this year (i'm hoping) with his firing of cerrato and his more "hands off" approach. eventually, i'm imagining snyder evolving into a george steinbrenner kind of owner. people used to think steinbrenner was a terrible owner, remember?

beep-beep, you said,
"This is like tossing an apple into the air to see if gravity is still working."

ha! that's funny....i too suspect interst would be there. this comment reminded me of my college days spent playing hackey-sack. anyone ever play that? when the sack landed on the ground between two players due to the players each assuming the other was going to kick it, we called it a "gravity check"....

i guess it's a lot funnier if one is in a college "state of mind"...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 4, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you're right: why teach your kids to think?

Don't let them learn how baseball works.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 9:11 AM |

Hey, Moe, next time you want to beat up a strawman just call it strawman, not beep-beep. My kids played T-ball on the White House lawn and shook hands with Cal Ripken, Jr. They learned how the game works.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

The baseball experience with your kid to me, is more about the father son sappy bonding thingy. Granted you may have to field a few elementary questions, but at least you know how to respond to "ICE COLD BEER HERE"!!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

bleat-bleat

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 4, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

If Swanson is the henchman, what is Snyder?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henchman

Thanks Wikipedia!

Posted by: G-SHOK | May 4, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"Thank god I also have her playing soccer three nights a week.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

Well there's your first mistake, Moe.

If you want to keep your kid interested in baseball, the last thing you want to do is have her playing a real sport during the same competitive seasons.

Posted by: psps23 | May 4, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 9:00 AM

L-S, Looks like you if you took your little one to a baseball game you may have to actually talk to them.

Isn't that the point, you knucklehead..

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Skins fans is pathetic.

Posted by: Incognito00 | May 4, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Swanson's next job is with the IRS threatening children that have lemonade stands.

Posted by: nativedc | May 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Look smart azz, if I want anything out of you I'll squeeze your head. MORE --- I didn't say some.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Check out this story from ProFootballTalk. This is an example of why Swanson is out of the Organization today. Unbelievable how ruthless the Skins can be. But to treat a veteran like this is, well read for yourself.

Posted by: flsnupe | May 4, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse