Rams' Bradford recalls being courted by Redskins

During the pre-draft process, the Redskins were among many teams highly impressed with former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

The St. Louis Rams drafted Bradford No. 1 overall, and he is scheduled to start against the Redskins on Sunday at St. Louis. Bradford only took two trips to visit with teams before the draft - to Washington and St. Louis - and his Redskins visit left a lasting, favorable impression.

"I did have a chance to meet with him [owner Daniel Snyder] when I came to Washington for my pre-draft visit," Bradford said. "He came to dinner with us that night. I remember at first, I was a little bit nervous when I found out that he was going to be there, knowing that he was the owner, and with that being my first visit I really wasn't sure what to expect.

"I thought he might come in and grill me about football and about everything, but I actually remember that dinner being a lot of fun. Just sitting there, getting to listen to him [Snyder] and Coach Shanahan talk about different things and talk about stories. I definitely had a lot more fun at that dinner than I originally anticipated. To be honest, that was the only owner I met. Granted, I only took two trips - to Washington and St. Louis."

By Jason Reid  | September 23, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder, NFL Draft, quarterbacks  | Tags:  Daniel Snyder, Sam Bradford
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spagnuolo's thoughts on matching a corner against a top WR
Next: McNabb, Rams' Spagnuolo familiar with each other

Comments

He's gonna get clobbered this weekend...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

What's in St. Louis besides an arch and maybe some BBQ ?

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Lot of meth and a big designer drug problem overall. Its the Baltimore of the midwest in that respect.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 9:41 AM |

If they built another arch right next to the existing one and painted them both gold they could make a ton of $$$ from Mickey D.

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Very glad that we took his teammate instead. Congrats FO.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 23, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Bradford, bradford, bradford, stafford, bradford

spagnuolo, spags, braddy, staffy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 23, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

monk, to compare JayTaylor with Andre Carter is a bit of a stretch don't you think?? One guy is a HOF player, while the other is a better than average player...

Also, who is VCerrato the GM for again...because he's the ONLY guy who would make that kind of trade...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

This may not be as dumb as you think. When Jason Taylor was traded to us, his skills were already diminishing, he was traded on name alone. Even though Carter is over 30, he just had probably his best year last year. Even though Carter won't be going to the HOF like Taylor, I bet Carter will post most sacks at this point in his career than Taylor, especially if he is moved back to a 4-3 team where he can put his hand in the ground, pin his ears back and go!
Plus, I don't think Vinny is the ONLY dumbazz to trade a 2nd for a player like that. Sure, now that Vinny is gone that town has it's idiot back, but it wasn't just Vinny, it was the injury to 2 players at that position that caused us to 'panic' and trade for Taylor. There were other teams involved, we had to up the price or someone else might have gotten him. You never know when some team next year has a major injury to deal with and someone will come a callin!

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

mean, the Baltimore Ravens sound better than the Baltimore Browns.

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 8:49 AM |

No, the Baltimore Browns sounds perfect. Sounds like a Poopy joke. Which, by the way, is consuming your life hessy. You do realize that you woke up, came on the blog before 7am and posted somethiung about him don't you? Like I said dude, let it go before you have a heart attack.

As far as Cleveland goes...well, my sister lives there. It has a few good things going for it...but just a few. It is a pretty crappy place all in all. Also, I would take Cincinatti over St. Louis anyday. St. Louis is a dump.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 23, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor didn't make it here because he never gave Washington a chance. Sure, he was injured, but he was being difficult and wouldn't come to the offseason stuff, he got paid and the motivation was sucked out of him, sound like anyone familiar?

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Spags should be kicking himself for passing on the Skins job...there is no possible way the Rams gig is a better situation...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2010 8:20 AM |

That's easy for you to say now. Back then, afore Snyder had his come to Jesus moment and canned Vinny, Spags would have been road kill just like Zorro. He would have had Camp instead of Brad. I am sure he has had the thought more than once "Crissakes, am I glad I didn't take that gig".

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

No, the Baltimore Browns sounds perfect. Sounds like a Poopy joke.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 23, 2010 10:17 AM |

Do you suppose that brownwood is a poopy troll?

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks will return 8 punts for TDs Sunday and we'll win 70-17

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 23, 2010 10:13 AM

Now that's what I like to hear pabrian! Welcome to the bandwagon! The kool aid is located to your left, and is all you can drink!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

No, the Baltimore Browns sounds perfect. Sounds like a Poopy joke.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 23, 2010 10:17 AM |

When I was on the rowing team at Brown Univ there would be tournaments where a bunch of teams would line up on the water and row against each other. In one tournament each team was assigned a prep room and our room had a sign "Brown" taped to the doorway of the room. So one guy from another team took the sign down and came into the room and asked the question "what is the color of shti" and then waved the sign above his head. We chased him down the hall but couldn't catch up with him.

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"Rams' Bradford recalls being courted by Redskins"

Bradford is going to be a very good NFL quarterback.

(But this weekend, I hope he plays every bit like a rookie.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Do you suppose that brownwood is a poopy troll?

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:26 AM

I don't buy in to the whole "sock puppet" thing. We know beep changes handles and moe has a few different handles depending on where he's at. The only person that has been proven to troll like that is perineum/skinshaveaGM. He has a couple others but I can't remember them.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:38 AM

This is the funniest story I have heard in quite some time.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

ChinaLake - When did you graduate? Always good to see another Brown alumn around these parts. I was class of '07.

Posted by: psps23 | September 23, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Okay who has botched their relocated franchise's name/team colors more the Baltimore Ravens or the Washington Nationals?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

More of a reason these bamas need to get smoked early on Sunday. 'Skins do not need to play down to their competition.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse
-----

Very true...but that is the trick here, isn't it? The Redskins have showed they can win a game they would always have lost in the past (Dallas). They have also showed they are capable of being an explosive offense, something they haven't been in years (Houston). Another sign of a better team would be taking care of f-ing business against as poor a team as the Rams. They have consistently failed to do this in the past several years.

I still think this team has 8-8 stamped on it, which would be a major improvement... though maybe they can do better as the NFC East hasn't had anyone set the league on fire as of yet.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 23, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

ss12, the game needs to be decided midway through the 3rd quarter in favor of the Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

My cousin did Brown. I want to say class of '03 or '04?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 23, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

from the nytimes,

A Coach’s Rebuke, and a Player’s Shrug

On Wednesday morning, Coach Rex Ryan tore into his team, tired of its “embarrassing” behavior, and he included himself. “Let’s just end it,” Ryan said.

So the big mouch coach is upset at his bighead team?

Wow.

Rex as come to understand Ray Lewis' line about '..your mouth writing checks your body can't cash..'.

Let's see: cussin' too much during "Hard Knocks," an opening loss, an embarassment in the locker room with a member of the media, and prominent player d.u.i. have all provided the arrogant leader of Team Green with this moment of clarity.

Rex has come to see that the problem with a bighead is that it not only makes a guy a target.

It also makes a fool believe the things he says about himself to be true.

And if his team can't make payment on the debts its big mouth coach writes, all folks will do is see him for what he is:

A big, fat green fool who's been knocked hard.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 23, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 10:45 AM

Do you mean botched...or completely changed? If I was a fan receiving a relocated team...I wouldn't want someone elses old team...I'd want to start fresh...new name...new logos etc.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 23, 2010 10:45 AM |

'96. I am posting from Jersey. Too cheap to get Sunday Ticket but get Philly and NYC channels on cable plus cockamamie channel surfnet. Go Bears!

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Been up in that Arch. Did it twice. Didn't like it the first and hated it more the 2nd time.

Kept saying to myself, why am I paying money to do this? And everybody had that same look, like WTF are we doing. Just a miserable experience.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 23, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

larry, was up there as well, scared the crap outta me how much it moved....also hated the claustrophobia inducing ride up there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 23, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

You can even pass me your red cup and I'll fill it for you. Later we'll be doing kool-aid stands and playing kool-aid pong

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 23, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChinaLake | September 23, 2010 10:20 AM

If he's a coach worth a sh*t, he would have done better than Zorn did. His incompetence was most of the problem. It's not like the cupboard is bare...there was enough talent for this team to at least be competitive, not a 4-12 doormat. With the easy schedule we had last year (provided we got a little luckier with injuries), there was opportunity for him to do better here than he has in St. Louis to this point.

But it's neither here nor there...we're MUCH better off with what we have now and that awful '09 season had to happen to get Snyder to wake up then it's well worth it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

cosign, Brownie, cosign.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 23, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

beepo beepo

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Redskins 30
Rams 17

Mc5-19 of 24 passing 300 yds 2tds
Sherriff gonna break one.-17 carries 89yds 1td
Galloway 3 ctch 79 yds
Moss 6 ctchs 109 yds 1 td
cooley- 4 ctchs 57 yds 1 td

do not record this for when I am proved right there can be no evidence supporting it

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 23, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Actually think the Nats, the Washington Nationals is a PDG. Now, the Ravens sounds like girls team. Whomever came up with Ravens outwitted themselves and what does Ravens have to do with Baltimore anyway?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 23, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

also: good stuff Brownwood definitely an "atta boy" thrown your way. as it's only ten o'clock here I'm going to breakfast

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 23, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

You know, I always come to RI for the discussions of such intellectual matters, and today is just a great example of that.

It does occur to me, though, when talking about the Baltimore Browns - that, in fact, both of the major franchises in the city of Baltimore moved from other cities, where the team's name was the Browns.

There's probably a plumbing joke in there somewhere.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 23, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 9:41 AM |

Designer drugs in Balti? You're way off, chief. To quote Cheese from "The Wire", "we sellin dope and coke in baltimore, [ninja]..."

Posted by: eanderson4 | September 23, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Snyder couldn't grill high school qbs on football.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 23, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Uh, hey Stu27, we didn't take "his teammate instead." Bradford was taken with the first pick and wasn't available when we drafted.

And I don't know what Alex35332 has against the Gateway to the West but I've been there a lot...relatives, don't ya know. The past 10years or so the city has experienced a nice boom, as far as restaurants, night spots,lofts,etc. Lots of parks. The meth problem is very real but it's in rural outstate. You also cannot imagine the ridiculously low prices on housing...among the best in the nation.

All that said, we will KILL the Rams. I'm predicting 34-13.

Posted by: 2sheds | September 23, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMd, Edgar Allen Poe lived and wrote the poem "The Raven" in Baltimore. At least they didn't name them "The Poets". My guess is they came up with it once they gave up trying to use references to Fort McHenry. I'm also gunna guess that only exposure to the career of Raven Simone (That's So Raven!) would lead one to think of it as a name for a girl's team.

Posted by: DannyH8r | September 23, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse