Shanahan 'kind of looking forward to' NFL OT rule change

The buzz topic Wednesday morning at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando was the league's rule change that will significantly alter the way overtime is contested during the playoffs.

Some coaches weren't happy the vote among the 32 owners took place on Tuesday and that they were largely left out of the process.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan doesn't seem to be in that group.

Asked about the timing of the vote - which took place while several coaches were on the golf course and Seattle coach Pete Carroll said he was at Space Mountain - Shanahan chuckled. "You want me to be politically correct?" he asked.

But he said he likes the new overtime rule and said he talked about the issue at length with Daniel Snyder before the Redskins' owner casted his vote on Tuesday. Snyder was one of 28 owners who voted for the change.

"I don't think it would've passed with the coaches," Shanahan said. "Not many things do."

He pointed out that if coaches had their way, they might still be reviewing cut-ups on 16-millimeter film.

"One thing that you have as a commissioner - and I think you have to do it as a guy in charge - you know how people feel in certain situations about the game. And some times as a coach, you're the guy that they probably should talk to at the end of the conversation and not at the beginning," Shanahan said. "Because coaches, they get so tunneled into their game. They don't like change."

Shanahan called the new rule "a good change," and said he'd have no problem if owners eventually choose to apply the new rule to the regular season as well.

"I'm kind of looking forward to doing something different," he said.

By Rick Maese  |  March 24, 2010; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why Haynesworth, Hall aren't likely to pay the Redskins and leave
Next: Shanahan 'totally' disagrees with Haynesworth's decision on workouts

Comments

Liked it better the old way. The team that gets the ball FIRST should win on a field goal. Especially if it keeps Favre out of the Super Bowl...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Accept change, my friend.

Makes no sense to have the OT rules just in the postseason and not regular season too.

There are games in the last few weeks of the season that are in essence, playoff games.

They should have instilled the new rule for the regular season, but also kept regular season games capped at 75 minutes. The games could still end within a minute or two, but at most, its an extra 15 minutes of play.

And spare me the rhetoric about "increased injuries". On average, each team plays ONE overtime game a year. That's ONE extra quarter for the whole season that players have to survive(at most - and that's only if the game was to go the full 15 minutes). Guys can get just as injured on Wednesday morning practice as they can on Sunday afternoon (Phillip Daniels). Not to mention, the NFL don't give a damn about having guys hurt in the 4-5 preseason games.

And as far as ties - I'm willing to bet that 80-90% of overtime games in the new format will/would be decided in the first 15 minutes. The only way that there would be a tie is if each team gets a FG on the first drive and then there is NO more scoring for the rest of the quarter. How often do you think that would really happen? I'd say at most 10% of the time.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 24, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"I'm kind of looking forward to doing something different," he (Shanahan) said.

I'm kinda interested in seeing something a little different.

Like a well-schemed offense.

A defense that gets turnovers and the occasional pick that becomes a touchdown.

A punter returner who says, "F!ck it!" and tries to bring the ball upfield even though guys are on him.

Beyond that, the main thing I want to see is some other occupying last place in the NFC East.

And that really is the only thing I want to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I like that Shanny is one of 'us'.....

Hasselback for JC17 and a 4th Rounder

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

And my two cents on Tebow and his overzealousness about religion:

I guess that when he gets to the pros, there won’t be any leaders on his team, player or coach (or agents for that matter), that would pull him aside and tell him to cool it down a little bit, that not everyone wants to hear that stuff, etc. And if by some remote chance that someone does tell him this, he is obviously such a jerk that he won’t listen to them and just keep on bible bashing harder than ever, destroying the team and locker room…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

dl, is that serious...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 24, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

No Hasselback. If Zoron were still here, I'd say yes.
_______________

Reasoning for the New OT:
60% of the time it works EVERY TIME!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 24, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

sarcasm

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

10-4, thanks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 24, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Liked it better the old way

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 10:07 AM

Agreed. Kickers decide the game during regulation and they will in OT as well. It will just take 2 kicks instead or Favre int and then 1 kick.

If I was to win the toss in OT..I'm kicking off and playing the field position game because you know a FG won't beat you and what you need to win the game.

If they wanted to prevent kickers from deciding a game they should have just implemented a 10 min overtime and then sudden death if OT ends in a tie.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Good one, FF. FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 10:05 AM |

beep, beep y'all. Nothing left to see here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Stings, doesn't it.

Posted by: FickleFeet | March 24, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

Book it.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I like that Shanny is one of 'us'.....

Hasselback for JC17 and a 4th Rounder

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

It's so funny to go onto a Seahawks forum and see them wanting to get rid of Hasselbeck for Jason Campbell then come back here and people want to dump Campbell for Hasselbeck!!! The grass is always greener folks!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If they wanted to stop kickers from deciding the games, they could shoot them.

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 24, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Book it.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 10:24 AM

Anytime someone says "Book it" now, it makes me think of the new Steve Carell movie where he gets the gun pulled on him - and then the guy turns the gun sideways.

"Oh no, he turned it sideways! Kill shot - that's a kill shot!!"

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 24, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have the pics for Soup

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 24, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Let's get to the post season first, otherwise this is a non-issue.

Posted by: clark202 | March 24, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

They should just adopt the college shootout scenario. And the college replay system. Both are superior for the fan.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 24, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Let's get to the post season first, otherwise this is a non-issue.

Posted by: clark202 | March 24, 2010 10:37 AM

Let's win a division game and then we'll worry about the postseason and the new OT rule.

With our current OL this is a non-issue.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Hearing on the radio that And Reid said the Eagles are entertaining offers on any of their QBs.

It would certainly change the landscape of the NFC East that we have grown accustomed to seeing if McNabb isn't with the Eagles.

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Hasselback for JC17 and a 4th Rounder

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 10:16 AM |
==========================

4th has eaten too much sugar even earlier than usual.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

ugh. college shootout?! Really?

That's the whole problem in the first place.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 24, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 10:23 AM

If it's neutralizing the impact of kickers, then they should just do away with kickers altogether and keep OT the same. Two options on 4th down: punt or go for it. That's it.

Shouldn't even come to that, really...seems to me the easy way to handle it is to make it illegal to settle for a field goal before 4th down in OT.

So easy a caveman can do it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

I'd keep that to myself, man. Bad enough that you kill time on RI. It's a whole other level of addiction if you are spying on the competitions blogs.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 24, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

As you know, I'm no JC apologist, but at this stage of things I would view a Hasselbeck for Campbell trade to be a lateral move that doesn't really improve the future prospects of the team.

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Hasselback for JC17 and a 4th Rounder

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

If we're talking Liz Hasselbeck, sans clothing I'd say yes.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

And my two cents on Tebow and his overzealousness about religion:

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

You realize that football players and coaches in general are some of the most religious people as a rule, right? Don't think he's going to be ruffling that many feathers, and frankly I don't see what the big deal is. The man likes God, last I checked, freedom of religion was still in our Constitution.

Posted by: DCinSD | March 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see McNabb traded but the Eagles already have a much better roster and that gap will only grow with the picks they already have plus anything they get in return for McNabb..

McNabb for a No. 2?
10:30AM ET

Donovan McNabb | Eagles Top Email On Tuesday, there was an interesting rumor that started with a tweet from the Houston Chronicle's John McClain; namely, that the Philadelphia Eagles were committed to Kevin Kolb, and if the right offer came in for Donovan McNabb, they were ready to go with Kolb as their main man.

Turns out, those offers might be coming in. Ashley Fox of the Philadelphia Inquirer quoted Eagles coach Andy Reid as saying that "People are entertaining us with offers. Nothing's been done, but we're evaluating all of them." Not a confirmation that anything is happening soon, but from what we've gleaned elsewhere over the past few months, something seems to be percolating.

Possibly the most controversial part of Fox's report: A league source says that either McNabb or Kolb can be had for a "fair" price, either a second-round pick or a package of picks. That's lower than the price we had heard earlier, which was "at least" a first-rounder. ESPN's "Beast" blogger, Matt Mosley, sat down with Reid at the NFC coaches' breakfast on Wednesday and came away with an interesting take based on the conversation:

Matt Mosley
Kolb Time could be coming soon, Philly fans

"After spending about 20 minutes with Reid on Wednesday, I'm convinced there's a pretty good chance Kolb is his starting quarterback in 2010."

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze hooked one! Lines up, Gentlemen!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 24, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I think both teams would be a lot better off with just getting new left tackles. QBs are just too expensive to keep swapping around. That's the equivalent of buying a new engine when your car won't start. You might want to try new spark plugs first.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Let's get to the post season first, otherwise this is a non-issue."

You know like I do that it'll be a regular season thingy in no time.

Which is why they should've just changed the rule for all games, and moved on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Re: Trading McNabb

If I'm Arizona, I am on the phone right now trying to get a deal done...

If I"m the Vikes, I'm on the phone right now with Favre telling him he's got about 10 minutes to decide whether he's in or out...

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't take McNabb for 1 simple reason. He's only got 2-3 years left in him and we're probably not going to be good for another 2-3 years. It just doesn't make any sense. You want a guy that grew along with the team and is in the prime of his career when the team is starting to be good. You don't want to be a great team that is being held back by a QB on his last legs.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:07 AM

Now some people would have thought these same concerns get raised by signing a 30 year old running back to a three year contract ... but on the Shanallen honeymoon, everyone gets the honeymoon salad (lettuce alone).

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

We are in total agreement on the left tackle.

Although with Campbell behind center I still say we max out at being a 9-7 team that goes one-and-done in the playoffs.

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm a tool? You're the one who needs me to explain a joke I made two weeks ago. And if you really want to know why some people criticize Christians, the answer is simple: hypocrisy is annoying. See I have nothing against the teachings of Jesus. If everyone followed his example the world would be a better place. Unfortunately the vast majority don't and I find sanctimonious and hypocritical "Christians" to be insufferable. You know, the type of guy who goes to church every Sunday, volunteers during the week, calls himself a Christian and then gets on a blog and spews insults and worse at anyone he disagrees with. Hope that clears things up Scamp.

Posted by: mack1 | March 24, 2010 9:27 AM

That's a completely different thing than saying Tebow's a coward but he's a God fearing young man. I missed the joke 2 weeks ago so maybe I missed something there. The hypocrisy is only true if said person going to church, doing volunteer work, and insulting you on a blog claims to be perfect. It's one thing to attempt to follow the teachings of Christ and realize that you are a human and will fail many, many times and quite another for trying to point out that others are going to hell for not being perfect. Those type of people will atone for their self righteousness in their own time. You don't beat people over the heads with your own beliefs to try and make yourself look better than others. That's not the point of Christianity. The point is to try and help when you can, be kind and just when you can, and recognize that you are as flawed as any man and equal to the crackhead in the abandoned building or the prostitute turning tricks for rent.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 24, 2010 10:53 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 24, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Biden drops F-bomb at bill signing"

WASHINGTON — Leave it to Vice President Joe Biden to add a little, ahem, flair to the signing of a health care bill affecting millions of people.

"This is a big f------ deal," Biden told President Barack Obama after introducing him at Tuesday's ceremony at the White House.

Why is it that the only one who can curse is the vice prez?

Both D Chaney and J Biden have been caught 'dropping the f-bomb'.

I can't wait until someone tries the president's patience, and he points a finger, and shouts, "F!ck all y'all!"

If he does that, I'd be the first to suggest they put his picture on money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

If we're talking Liz Hasselbeck, sans clothing I'd say yes.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 24, 2010 10:46 AM

I'm sure you mean "sans clothing AND the ability to speak".

Now THAT'S a trade I can get behind.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

The new rule is better, but still stupid. I hate playing by different rules in the regular season and postseason.

The way it should be? Lead + possession = win. Fair and simple.

Posted by: Tank2 | March 24, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

If I'm Arizona, ...

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 10:49 AM

If you're Arizona, I want to buy some unpainted furniture from you for my bedroom, bathroom, or boudoir.

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCinSD
--------------------------

Oh give it a rest, DCinSD. No one is challenging anyone's freedom of religion.

To state what should be absurdly obvious: The question at hand is would a player's evangelizing in the locker room hurt the team?

The answer is yes, no, and maybe. It depends on the player, the team and how he does it. Some people (believe it or not) don't want your religion in their faces. Others wouldn't mind at all.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | March 24, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

All this talk of trading Mcnabb is not that bad...anything to get him out of the division is good for the Skins..he has been a Skin killa his entire career. I welcome Kolb to take over in Philly..to me that'll be just as good as getting Okung and Suh in the draft....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 24, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

What does he think about Fat Albert? That's a story. This is fluff. Almost Wilbonian!

Posted by: KDSmallJr | March 24, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Let's get to the post season first, otherwise this is a non-issue."

You know like I do that it'll be a regular season thingy in no time.

Which is why they should've just changed the rule for all games, and moved on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse
=========================================
Ok, so that's still a full season away, its still a non-issue. The coach and personnel we have now may not even be here. Anything can happen a whole year from now. Anything can happen between now and this post-season. I'm in the same camp of Diesel44 lets win a division game first. OT will work itself out regardless if its the regular season or post season.

Posted by: clark202 | March 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Who the F cares about the overtime rule. Somebody ask him what the hell are his plans are for this freakin team. Nobody has a clue.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: efdelaney | March 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse
=========================================
efdelaney, from your lips to God's ears. My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: clark202 | March 24, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 10:07 AM

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The difference is that to get McNabb, we'd have to give up a draft pick(s) that we can ill afford to lose. With Johnson, we gave up nothing.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: efdelaney | March 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse
=========================================
efdelaney, from your lips to God's ears. My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: clark202 | March 24, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

And, of course, he's going to tell us, and the rest of the league, what those plans are. Not . . .

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 24, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

There's a long way to go to get the OT situation straight if we the fans of the NFL are going to have to put up with these new OT rules.

Here are some suggestions:

1) The rules MUST be made the same for the regular season and the post season.

Heck, the rules were pretty much the same forever, and poor Donovan McNabb couldn't keep them straight...and I'm sure he isn't the LEAST intelligent guy in the league.

Avoid confusion and embarrassment, make the game win/loss conditions uniform for the regular and post-season games.

2) Eliminate taking a knee to kill the clock. Offenses failing to either run an actual LEGAL play, or make an effort to get the ball out of bounds should be penalized for delay of game PLUS stackable penalties should be enforced for any illegal formations.

3) Eliminate Ties. If the NFL is going to have ovetime, they don't need ties.

If the NFL needs both teams to have at least one possession...they don't need ties.

If the NFL wants ties to exist...they don't need overtime.

It is just a point of contention for the TV carriers anyway, as it is harder to sell a block of time where your show might not be on [pre-empting] so your ad blocks don't get seen by your desired audience.

This would put competitive balance back into the games. Meaningful time on the clock means more viewers.

Just some thoughts.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | March 24, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It is crazy to me how people are suggesting trading Campbell for Hasselbeck. Every year Campbell improves just look at the numbers 2006-07; 76.5 QB rating and 1297 ps yrds, 2007-08; 77.6 QB rating 2700 ps yrds, 2008-09; 84.3 QB rating and 3245 ps yrds, and 2009-10 86.4 QB rating 3618 ps yrds. Cambell had better ratings this year then Cutler and Sanchez. Hell Campell had a better rated year as a rookie then Sanchez did as a rookie. Yet people still wished we traded up for Sanchez...

Address the true need of this team and that is O-Line. I say trade our second round pick to the Ravens for Jared Gaither and use our number four overall on Okung if available. Imagine LT Gaiter, G Dockery, C Rabach, G Williams, RT Okung. If we did this we would become instantly younger and better on the O-Line Gaither 24, Okung 22, and Dockery 29.

For those who say the Ravens would never give us Gaither ESPN has rumors saying a late first round pick would get him. So a top four second isn't too far off.

Posted by: krichardson7777 | March 24, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The NFL is like a Pop Warner League.

Somebody's MOM calls and complains that the game is NOT FAIR, so they change it.

The next week, somebody else's MOM calls and complain that the game is NOT FAIR......so they change it!

The next week, another MOM calls and complain that the game is NOT FAIR......so again....they change it!

The next week, they're all be playing SOCCER!

It's an ObamaNation!

All on the same day as the signing of the Declaration of Dependence!!

Posted by: filmchis | March 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
===== HTTP://loveshopping.us ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

UGG BOOT $50

Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35

Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

FREE SHIPPING

Posted by: linjian76 | March 24, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

When is the league going to change the rule of spotting the ball on a "pass interference" call??? It should be just like the college rule. 15 yards and a 1st down is plenty. And anything under 15 should just be a spot foul. Awarding the offense 1st and goal on a bomb that might be dropped with out a foul is a joke. And i don't wanna hear any junk about DB's taking receivers down on purpose to prevent getting beat. Do you ever see that in College ball? no...plus, that player would get abused for chumpin' out on a play...

Posted by: boricuabopper | March 24, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I heard on Sirius Radio this morning that all the Owners are going to meet again in May to discuss the OT rules for the regular season. IMO the new rule sucks, but there is nothing that can be done about it now, we just have to suck it up and accept the change. Hopefully they vote to change it for the regular season because there would be nothing worse than a reg. season rule and a post season rule. It should have never changed, wretched idea!

Posted by: wvskin | March 24, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse