Snyder issues statement on Jim Zorn, what lies ahead

Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder has issued the following statement on the firing of Coach Jim Zorn, via the team's media relations staff:

"This has been an extremely difficult season for our organization and for the fans. Bruce Allen spent many hours examining the football operations, and we are both determined to do whatever it takes to build a championship team. That process begins today.

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years, and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made. I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season.

"Finally, I am mindful that this is a tough day for Jim and his family, and I do want to wish him success in his next endeavor."

By Cindy Boren  |  January 4, 2010; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sherman Smith: 'Jim's career isn't over'
Next: Redskins plane headed home from Rockies (updated)

Comments

First to say ERIC BERRY

Posted by: SavedByZero | January 4, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

1st

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Snyder: "I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made."

-- Please, elaborate.

Posted by: REXskins | January 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Danny you're off to good start in 2010 in my books. Hopefully you'll have the proper chains of command established and enforced so that the new GM and HC are empowered.

Posted by: TWISI | January 4, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

First to say ERIC BERRY

Posted by: SavedByZero | January 4, 2010 11:14 AM

Trouble is we don't need a SS.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Nice touch at the end!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

IMO, if Okung is gone and we can't trade back, then I think the pick has to be Bradford, if he hadn't gotten hurt he would have easily been the #1 overall pick, he would have been last year if he declared, ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:03 AM

Agree that you have to draft the best player there when you have to draft that high, but I think Spiller is a better RB than Bradford is a QB (unless and until the Skins start running a spread offense). Ideally Okung is there and the Skins gets saved by their better angels.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to thank the members of the academy, James Zorn, Vincent Cerrato, and most heartfelt of all, "Mr." Daniel Snyder.

Now, the REAL season starts. Our season. The off-season. We 'pwn' the off-season!

Posted by: 4-12 | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The first step on the road to recovery is to admit you have a problem. Its about time Danny boy!

Posted by: Predator48 | January 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Snyder: "I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made."

-- Please, elaborate.

Posted by: REXskins | January 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

This.

Posted by: Pepper5 | January 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Where and when, PRIOR to Sherm Lewis coming on board, did he do something OFFENSIVELY that made you think he was NFL Material??

I mean, wtf...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 11:12 AM

The first eight games of the 2008 season. I mean, you must live in a world of hate ...

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Bean, agreed, its amazing, a bingo caller comes out of retirement and with less talent and the same playbook essentially doubles the production immediately and people act like Zorn was the hottest thing since sliced bread. If anything, the team playing better at the end of the year is a complete and total indictment of Zorn and his ability as a coach. He made terrible in-game decisions, he made terrible decisions on who should and shouldn't be on the field, ARE returned punts all season...enough said, he made idiot play calls, he never held players accountable for anything, and he will at best be a position coach again in the pros.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

This is the first statement issued in the new "can't keep a straight face" font.

Posted by: TheCork | January 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

As a fan, I let the whole team down. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made. Please let me be a fan again.

Posted by: donsilvester | January 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Well, well. Get rid of Vinny The-Rat-o and suddenly Snydley starts saying the right things. Amazing.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

4-12 [the man with the prophetic handle.]

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 4, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

1st to say Sam Bradford..

Posted by: 4thFloor |

First to say new Redskin Sam Bradford would walk out of play, right shoulder low, disappear into the training room, then come back with his arm in a sling. When? During his first news conference at Redskins Park. Fix the line first. That way you don't get your QB's killed.

Posted by: TheCork | January 4, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:03

You'd be sitting there with either Eric Berry, CJ Spiller, who are better prospects than Bradford at this point because of his injury.

Posted by: TWISI | January 4, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog | January 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM

That's my point. The offense is fine. Zorn just couldn't get it to score TDs from the red zone. Sherm Lewis got those numbers way up. Getting down the field was not the issue. Subtract out the game management decisions (which is the job of the head coach), then the offense can be run as it was designed. Sherm Lewis was just using Zorn's playbook. The doubled production was in the red zone. Now Zorn has the game film to figure out what Lewis was doing in the red zone. The reason he was brought out of retirement was precisely because of his own career success in red zone conversions (one of the highest in the NFL among coordinators ... or so someone wrote around the time has was brought in the "consult" ... some sports journalist who actuallly does research rather than just repeating the bingo crap).

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:20 AM |

That was because there was no film on him, once teams were able to study his tendencies he was finished.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This mock has four OTs going in the top ten. Even if Okong is gone it may not be a reach to take Bruce Campbell at #4. Besides, Bruce Campbell is one of my favorite actors.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The players' playing hard thru that stretch against DEN-DAL-PHI-NO-OAK isn't an indictment of Zorn, come on. It's amazing how when someone does something wrong they get criticized to no end, and sometimes rightfully so, but people here refuse to give the same guy credit when he does something right.

Zorn made some bad in-game decisions, went conservative far too often for my liking, and seemed too stubborn in sticking to some experienced yet ineffective players. No argument. But the guys kept playing hard, and never quit, and some of that has to be due to the coaching staff. Zorn's got killed by us all year. Give him some credit where it's due, and this is one of those areas, IMO...

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season." --DAN SNYDER

Yes we accept your verbal contract. And if you fail to honor it, we plan to do the same thing you did to your faithful fans--sue your azz off.

Posted by: TheCork | January 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Finally! The start of the REAL season for the Skins ... the offseason. cL, if you're out there, "the season starts now" (shots). 4-12, if you're out there, I'm not talking to you anymore.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 10:21 AM

Repost ... and I'm still not talking to you.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

dc, great, I'll go with the last 24 games, where the offense had ZERO adjustments....you think the first 8 games are a true indicator of what Zorn can do??

Are you being serious or are you pulling my leg??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

That was very nice of Danny Boy... to admit that he may have made a mistakes here and there....

Also that was a nice touch to remember that Zorn is having a tough day as well.

Posted by: tommycat | January 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

This is more responsibility than Snyder has ever accepted before, as stated by someone above, Snyder is off to an A+ start in my book for 2010. IF he hires an established coach with a successful background and stays out of said coach and Bruce Allen's way while still being willing to sign big checks I can't ask for anything more from my owner. Maybe it took him 10 years to get here, but if he finally is here, then I still say he can be the best owner in the league. He just has to prove now that he's finally here, Vinny/Bruce was a big step, the next one happens this week.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

WEELLL Looky here.. Danny boy speaking up for himself, and in good fashion too.. I like it. Is Bruce Allen giving private lessons to him on what is the correct things to say?? Maybe, JUUUSTTT maybe, he's turned over a new page in the Book of Snyder

Posted by: iHAVEfaith | January 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 11:27 AM

The offensive line (a legitimate one) was healthy till then (Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen/Heyer/Jansen) was healthy and the wheels had not yet fallen off Portis.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com this morning:
Pick / Team / Record / Opp. SOS

1 Rams 1-15 .520
2 Lions 2-14 .523
3 Bucs 3-13 .555
4 Redskins 4-12 .492
5 Chiefs 4-12 .516

Unforutnatley, I can see this playing out as follows... Rams (desperate for QB) select Clausen, Lions (desperate for OT) select Okung, and Bucs desperate to return their D to glory) select Suh.

Of course, this could play out differently, especially after we see how the free-agent market settles out...if the Rams go another direction than QB with the 1st pick, then Clausen most likely falls to us, to either draft or find someone to trade back with (Seattle?).

Posted by: PDXskin | January 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

That's a start - but where's the "obviously we need to prioritize the offensive line with the draft" part?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 4, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of the problem, CAMPBELL AS A QB, then we talk about supporting your team.

Posted by: hock1 | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Going to be a LOOONG few months me thinks

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Are you being serious or are you pulling my leg??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 11:29 AM

Fine. The Skins failure rate behind the All Pro, Pro Bowl, playoff built offensive line was inexcusable and the record was exclusively the fault of Zorn's offensive play calling.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Two years ago Snyder and Vinnie thought they'd hire from the ranks of the coordinators to find the next young phenom. What Snyder seems to have learned is that he's not smart enough to do that.

This is after he has (hopefully) learned he's not smart enough to draft players or sign free agents.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Bean, I agree with you on the lack of adjustments part, as well as Zorn's unwillingness to trust some of the younger guys, and I think he obviously has to take the blame for that.

But having a good offense I would say goes hand-in-hand with having a good offensive line. So on the one side you're ripping Zorn and saying his offense sucks, but on the other you're been stating we need a new, revamped offensive line. Zorn's shortcomings notwithstanding, this offense never had the chance to reach it's potential in large part b/c we couldn't block up front, nor could we open any holes in the running game.

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

thank you Bean Zorns offense was terrible. We faced winless teams through the first 5 weeks! we went 4-12 against one of the weakest schedule in NFL history!! wake up people we got beat by 2nd and 3rd stringers you have got to be kidding me

Zorn Sucked

Posted by: BenchCampbell

Posted by: BenchCampbell | January 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"IMO, if Okung is gone and we can't trade back, then I think the pick has to be Bradford, if he hadn't gotten hurt he would have easily been the #1 overall pick, he would have been last year if he declared," ...

But can he take a hit. Isn't that our number 1 requirement....

Posted by: sspiper_bs | January 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Late to the comments here, but I have to say that this whole Zorn thing makes me a bit sad - I firmly believe he was set up to fail and was basically fired after the first game this season and then stripped of all this actual duties on a nationwide scale. I just hope that we can move forward (if the whole Zorn experience got rid of Vinny, then perhaps the ends justfied the means). HTTR! Just ready for the offseason.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

... That leaves Berry as the only elite prospect left for us, and I just can't stomach taking yet another safety with a top ten pick, no matter how good he is supposed to be. And I don't think many teams are willing to trade up for a safety like they might for a QB or LT. ...

Posted by: PDXskin | January 4, 2010 11:31 AM

Good point. Ideally, the Skins will get back on track with history ... and select a tight end.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The Lions and the Bucks will go Defensive line Suh and Mccoy, Okung will be there KC wants okung bad but we pick before them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

dc, the whole NFL is about making adjustments....and when it came to this, there were NONE done by JZ....he didn't trust players, until there was nothing to play for, he wouldn't let JC audibilize out of a play, he wanted things to be perfect, he wouldn't play guys until people got hurt...I mean...this was abject failure at all levels....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

$1,000 says that danny will blame vinny for a lot of the boneheaded decisions...

We will win the offseason as we always do - then we will tank in the regular season - as we always do.

danny is the problem and his words "I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made.".... well I don't believe that danny believes that for a second.

he is a spoiled child with a toy that he knows everyone covets.

Posted by: oldnova | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Campbell is supposedly a freak of an athlete but has some injury trouble. Some scouts say he's a better tackle than Okung but the injury is why he was ranked lower. I'd like to know more about the injury but since he had a decent year I doubt it was too bad. I'd pick him at #4 if Okung, Berry, and Suh were gone.

Now for the Bradford supporters, Sam Bradford has done little to no work under center(except for his freshman year) and has gotten his butt kicked anytime he wasn't playing behind a great line. He has been injured twice in the last year and his particular injury is to his throwing shoulder. That is a major risk. Not only do we know that he has little time under center, can't work under pressure, and a devastating injury we also don't know if he can even throw on the run. That's simply not a top 5 QB prospect. I'd say he is top 20 but certainly not top 5. When you have limited picks you simply don't take that much of a risk on a guy who may or may not be any better than Tony Pike.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

This is kind of sad. Zorn never really had a chance. He was never given the O-Line talent to allow his offense to flourish.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Snyder accepts responsibility for his part WTH?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Classless is the way the whole organization has been run since 1999. DS and his short statement are not to be believed at all. The national media have stated what an arrogant sob he is and have called him out for the way he mishandled Zorn. If you didn't want him as HC, let him go before publicly humiliating him.
Class is something obviously money can't buy.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, PA, Bradford just looks like a guy who is fragile and going to get hurt -- he's tall and lanky and I would really be worried about investing a ton in him and having him play behind our offensive line. Granted I'm sure we'll upgrade it this offseason, but I'm just not sure he can take a hit...

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, but he made some dumb calls.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDXskin | January 4, 2010 11:31 AM |
-------------------------------

Not sure re the Rams. Spags is a defensive minded coach, so maybe he takes Suh with the first pick?

Just a thought.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

As for what Dan Snyder said, I am impressed. That has to be the single best thing I have heard him say about the team in years.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think he might have finally gotten it.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Berry would make a pretty good FS, allowing Landry to return to SS and play closer to the line of scrimmage.

Berry is a ballhawk, has good cover skills, and could also return punts. Not sure about his hitting ability at the NFL level, as he's about 200#. Ed Reed type.

Taylor Mays is a FS more in the mold of Sean Taylor. Big, fast, lights out hitter. Covers lots of ground, but still has problems taking the correct angle. Will probably take 2 years to reach his potential in the NFL.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

i say eric berry if not him then trade down and maybe get tebow and a ol in the first round nobody in the drafts is high pick position that we need but berry yea we need alot on o line but nobody is worth 4th pick there is no lineman worth 4 or 5 were ever we at berry is a beast and it will let landry go back to his natural spot and not get beat all the time

Posted by: croniccured | January 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is a classless loser, who deserves all this losing. It's one thing to be a meddlesome owner who plays fantasy football with my/our beloved team, it's entirely another to be a jerk and heartless. I mean really, did they have to fire him at 2:15 in the morning, or whatev it was?? Really, i couldn't wait until this morning?? So classless, i've been a very longtime skins fan - but i WILL NOT renew my tickets and my love for the team is fading. Thanks Dan,

..between suing old ladys and firing people in the middle of the night, i hope your proud of yourself.

Posted by: gs12 | January 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan is 57. Is there a head coach in the NFL that is as old as that? That seems pretty old to be starting over. Didn't we kind of get this already with Gibbs? Don't think is is gonna end well.
Just sayin.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 4, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

If it's an uncapped year, then The Danny can spend as much as he wants on the O-line (draft and FA) and a QB.

Also, don't forget to draft Blount if he falls to the 4th or 5th round!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think you're right. Plus, I just don't see a QB in the draft who is worth the #1 overall pick. Not an expert by any means, but if the Rams take a Clausen or Bradford #1, it would be a huge reach IMO...

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Note, this is just my opinion, but anytime I see Tebow in a post as who we should draft I just stop reading.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

This season sucked.

Next season will suck.

and we will all know that Jim Zorn was only part of the problem.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, but he made some dumb calls.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM

True.

I think his worst series of calls were in the NY Giants season opener. Our defense had held the Giants on the goal line and we took over on the one.

Zorn proceded to call three running plays up the middle, and then punt. He was too afraid to take a chance throwing from the end zone.

He did the same thing a few weeks later, I forget against who. That time we actually got a safety called on us.

He needed to take better quality chances earlier in the season, and have more faith in his rag tag band.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Will people stop sticking your head in the sand and saying its all the oline!!!!! Yes the oline was bad but that doesn't mean that both Zorn and Campbell didn't suck as well. Zorn was terrible and got little to no production from an offense for 18 games after the bye week last year that a retired coach improved immediately with less talent and the same playbook. Zorn sucked, there is no way around it. And for all you Campbell lovers I agree that he is a tough guy who seems to be nice and says all the right things (although whining at the end of the year about it not being "fair" when he gets millions to play a game and isn't even the most sacked/hit guy in the league or on the worst team was pathetic.) How does he think S. Jackson feels, he is on a dismal team and yet was second in the league in rushing, played through pain, took a ton more hits, is the only weapon in that offense and never said a word in complaint. There are maybe 10 teams in the league he's a starter on. He is slow in his reads, awful at blitz recognition, terrible in quick decision making, has a slow delivery, is horribly in accurate, for the most part has bad "awareness" as in pocket presence as well as when and where to throw the ball away, and if I have to watch him throw any more passes 5 feet high to get Davis or Moss killed or throw sideline routes 5 yards out of bounds or to last week throw the ball away on 4th and 11 or this week throw the ball 9 yards out of bounds on a hail mary on fourth and 10 I'm going to throw up in my mouth. Yes the oline sucked!!!!!! yes it needs to be a major priority in getting fixed this year. But Zorn and Campbell sucked as well and also are a major priority in being fixed, one has been, the next will happen soon.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

O line, O line is the way to go. No running game, no passing game, no anything if we don't have good blocking. You could have Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice and John flippin' Elway and they wouldn't do squat with our O line. I mean Edwin Williams???? Mike Williams = 400 lb tackling dummy. Levi Jones was the best guy and was brought in mid season. I'll take 5 orders of O LINEMEN PLEASE!

Posted by: kevinlc555 | January 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinlc555 | January 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

VeloStrummer issues statement on Daniel M. Snyder:

As a disgruntled fan, Mr. $nyder, you have proven to be the problem with this franchise. You have single handledly managed to rape all the fun out of the game day experience at Fed Ex Field. Your hiring of Bruce Allen proves nothing. Until such time as you keep that fat lazy derierre of yours where it belongs, you can be rest assured that you will NEVER see a single penny of my hard earned money going your way. Until that time, you may continue eating all the corn and peanuts from my feces.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | January 4, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

This season sucked.

Next season will suck.

and we will all know that Jim Zorn was only part of the problem.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM |

The other part of the problem was already fired. If Snyder is part of the problem he can't be fired but he can change lets hope he does.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Also, don't forget to draft Blount if he falls to the 4th or 5th round!

Posted by: MrRedskin21

so he can Michael Westbrook somebody! jk

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

... Until he gets in front of a press conference and answers every single hard and humiliating question for as long as they want to ask them, he will think he was mislead... he will never take responsibility. ...

Posted by: oldnova | January 4, 2010 11:37 AM

If he does that press conference in his Underoos ®, then I'm willing to let bygones be bygones.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Just sayin.

Posted by: dovelevine |
===========================
JoePa is like 137. Age doesn't bother me at all, and 57 year olds are still with it unless they have an unfortunate brain disease or as stroke.

If Shana can bring the level of offense he had in Denver, then that's all we need from him. Then all we need is a competent DC to use our very talented defense better than Blache could. Then we'll be in business.

Posted by: REXskins | January 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The Defence is fine. With a few tweaks (playing the corners up instead of 80 yards back) and Landry up at the line instead of jogging backwards before the ball is snapped) Almost every game the TV commentators didn't understand why Blache was doing that. Moose, Aikman, Lynch, guy that played had no idea why our guys were so out of postion. We need to focus on O line and RB. D fence and QB are fine.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Bradford??? Really??

Already coming into the league as injury prone with a bum shoulder, does that sound like a good investment in a player if it was your money and your decision...IMO NO F'N WAY!

I like building depth and then maybe taking a project QB with a pro system in his college experience, isnt the kid from Central Michigan pretty good??

OL, OL, RB, LB and DB's IMO opinion is what we need to draft

Posted by: mhartz1 | January 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he fired Zorn at 2:15am to put the pressure on Shanahan to poop or get off the pot.

If Shanny is holding out to see if the Dallas job opens up, then I don't want him anyway. Besides, if Dallas somehow manages to get to the NFC Championship game, I think Wade/Garrett keeps their jobs.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

... and I'm still not talking to you.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 11:28 AM

Hating hater who hates.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Hiring Allen and Shanahan is maybe like an admission that he should never have fired Marty.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Way to completely misrepresent my post. All I was saying was that Zorn and his coaching methods were only part of the problem, not all of it. The offensive line was a part of it. Vinny was a part of it. JC is a part of it. You can go on and on and on.

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Actually a pretty classy statement by Snyder. Is this the first time we've heard him take responsibility for the mistakes he's made? Of course, the real question is, will he start to correct those mistakes, by stepping back and letting the GM and HC do their jobs without interference or back office drama.

Posted by: jksesq1 | January 4, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, basically Jim Zorn has two bullets left in his revolver.

What was he saving those for again?

The fight is over, and one day, Zorn will regret not not emptying that thing out.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan is less than a year older than Zorn.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Bills fire entire coaching staff
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 4, 2010 11:33 AM ET
Black Monday has arrived in full force in Buffalo.

Per Jay Glazer of Fox, the team has fired their entire coaching staff.

It's not a surprise the Bills are making sweeping changes. But it is notable that the team has let go some longtime assistants like vaunted special teams/assistant head coach Bobby April.

There have been previous reports that interim head coach Perry Fewell was going to interview for the permanent head coaching position. It's unclear if that is still the case.

It's also unclear if cleaning house in the most dramatic way possible will be enough to entice one particular big fish in the coaching pond that reportedly spoke with the Bills last week.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn has two bullets left.

When the dust settles, he will regret not emptying his revolver.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Tito, get me a tissue.

Posted by: CTSkins | January 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

7 coaches in ten years.

Epic Fail!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | January 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I just don't see why everyone wants an average QB prospect so bad this year. None of these guys are as good a prospect as Stafford or Sanchez. None of them have the elite arm strength and release that those 2 have. We need a lot of players and taking an average prospect at QB to replace an average QB seems awfully stupid. Why not replace one of the league's worst offensive tackles with an elite tackle prospect instead? The QBs just aren't there this year don't force it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Last time the bills fired everyone we wound up grabbing man-boobs and he was a solid DC.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Apologies mean nothing. Disclosing specifics would mean something. But actions speak louder than words.

If you really want to come clean, Danny-boy, then own up to how you treat people like dirt.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Agreed. Rams will take Suh.

As for the Skins picking Bradford? NO, NO, NO! A thousand times no!

We do not need to pick a QB at #4 and Bradford does not have a strong arm - even before his injury.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 4, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

special teams/assistant head coach Bobby April.

---------------------

Isn't that unit usually one of the better special teams unit in the league? Strange that the Bills would let him go.

Posted by: TWISI | January 4, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Trade/cut everyone. Rebuild team around Ethan Albright.

Posted by: ItsOver2 | January 4, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I wish we could afford to hire a coach that had a better offense than Shanahan had at Denver. I would like to bring in the best offensive mind in the NFL. Someone that could build an offensive juggernaut. How about Norv Turner. His third string beat the Redskins. Norv Turner beat the stuff out of Shanahan. Shanahan got fired because he could not beat San Diego. Norv Turner could not succeed here or was it that here could not succeed with anyone as coach. Norv Turner has superbowl rings. Norv Turner has built one of the two or three best teams in the NFL. Dan Snyder has destroyed the Redskins. Norv Turner was humiliated. Congratualtion Norv Turner. You are amazing. I wish we had an owner who could hire a guy with your talent.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | January 4, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 11:29 AM

Bull crap. Snyder said he learned his lesson after Gibbs left and then pulled even worse crap than before. I'll wait and see because as of a few weeks ago this leopard hadn't changed his spots.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

getting a QB and RB before you help the O Line is like putting the cart before the horse.....not going anywhere! Wake up people. Our O Line is awful! Peyton couldn't play behind them, heck Moses couldn't part there lazy rumps. Maybe keep Doc, rest gotta go. Start with Rabach, he's been done for 2 years! And Bradford, bad pick!

Posted by: kevinlc555 | January 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope they go OT in the first round and try for a QB later.

Any rumor as to who Shanahan would bring in as DC?

Denver radio was speculating that McDaniels may fire some assistants - they didn't say so I'll speculate on former Shanahan coaches who might look good with the burgundy and gold.
Bobby Turner RB's
Rick Denison OL (feels blasphemous to think of anyone other than Bugel for this position)
Rich Tuten Strength and conditioning

Posted by: skinswest | January 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is a lying ego-maniac. He will do this over and over again and only way to stop this demise is if he left town. Dumb Redskins fan will continue to buy season tickets, Snyder pockets the ridiculous margins and the cycle never ends. The team is cursed until the midget goes away. Zorn was only part of the problem but the player selection by the midget and his V-honcho sucked for a decade.

Posted by: mofares | January 4, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinlc555 | January 4, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Issuing a seven sentence statement is not taking responsibility. Answer questions from fans and/or the media directly. And, for the record, the process of building a championship team started 10 years ago.

Posted by: pesadecoy-media | January 4, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So long as Shanahan gets hired, I'm okay with whatever direction he decides to go in. This isn't some first time around the block head coach (nor is this a head coach coming off a decade-long sabbatical), this is a seasoned veteran that knows who and what is needed to run his offense. If he deems a QB worthy of his system, then that QB probably is. For the first time in a long time, this franchise looks like it may have someone in charge that you can wholeheartedly trust with his decisions.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Tim Tebow?

Anybody see what happened to Pat White yesterday? Having a running QB means having a QB on IR by playoff time.

I think you get a great OL and a running game. Then get a QB.

Look at the Jets. They've gotten horrific play from the QB position this year, yet were still competitive.

The Skins need a tackle, a center, and a guard. Trade or sign a FA running back, like LenDale White, somebody with around 4 years in the league and low miles. With the current receivers and Campbell, you have at least an average offense scoring-wise. And with a good running game, you keep the D fresh.

A new, more agressive scheme, a retooled offense, and (given the same schedule rotation) games with STL, DET, TB, CLE, and CHI. The bad news is that the rotation would also have the NFC East facing the AFC North, so get ready for CIN, BAL, PIT.

8-8 doesn't seem impossible. 10-6 sure does.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

GO BACK TO THE FUTURE: MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER.

Snyder fell assbackwards into him and it was the only good decision he ever made. Marty was right then and he'll be right now.
He's the reason the Chargers are winning, not Norv. Marty was and is a great coach.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

If Okung is there, draft him at the 4 spot, otherwise move down if possible. If not possible, please stay away from any QB's. There isn't any reason to bring in a QB prospect when the O-line is still a mess.

Draft heavy on O-line this year, then draft a QB high next year. Sign Campbell for a two year deal. If he gets an extraordinary offer, let him go and let Collins play caretaker. Accept the fact that the team won't be good next year in all likihood, and plan on 2011 being the season of great improvement.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | January 4, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Redskins continue their offseason tradition of finishing first

First to fire our coach! Take that BUFF, OAK, NYG

Yeah, bring on they new guy! Whomever that may be.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

GO BACK TO THE FUTURE: MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse
*******************

Think he might be moving to tropical Buffalo.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

What's up with A Freeman (CSN), He says Skins should blow up everything except punt return teams (?) What's his affiliation with the Skins? Best he get back to his rightful place in society (Mall Cop)!!

Posted by: Spanglerg | January 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made."

Psst...good line, Mr. Snyder. Love, Tiger Woods.

Posted by: mebail | January 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Nice touch at the end!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 4, 2010 11:18 AM

Yeah, like a spray of urine to wash off the poo.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 4, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Spanglerg | January 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse
**************************

Well, hey, the Red Snapper and Hunter are probably the best two players on the team and we know that Hunter can at least score a couple of touchdowns!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 4, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

Bill Cowher

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be a QB, all signs point to that.

Don't discount the Redskins trading down and drafting a QB along with extra picks.

This is exactly what I think is going to happen.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 4, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Dree Brees

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

There's one slight difference between comparing Brees and Bradford?
Brees was a SECOND round pick!!! Not a top five, so of course a team would take a chance on him. Please stop making that comparison. If Bradford fell to the second round I'd say go for it.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 4, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Again,

If it is Shanny, then he'll be looking to bring in O-linemen that played for him with some tread still on their tires. This method, along with a good draft could rebuild our Oline rather quickly. Of course, he'll probably want a different QB too.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I wake up this morning and, no surprise, its the Skins without Zorn and without Cerrato.

These were two of the least competent and least inspiring people in the NFL. Bruce Allen is an upgrade and if its Shanahan, its a major upgrade.

Feels like Danny finally kicked the kids out and decided to put some adults in charge. Just hoping Shanahan isn't pres/coach -- because that doesn't work well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, how can a great coach go 14-2 and get fired?

Neither Marty nor Norv is responsible for the success in SD. AJ Smith is.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll see in a few minutes. If Danny introduces the next head coach then shame on him. If Allen introduces the coach then we move forward. As long as Danny still feels it is his descision or his place to address the media then we go nowhere. Let Allen and Shanny have thier moment and then make another nice statement later. Go rest your check signing hand, we are going to need it!

Posted by: fireballhank | January 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, I feel fine with whatever they do as long as it is Shanahan and Allen making the decisions, if that is the case they have my complete support and lack of criticism for 3 years. They have the resume and track record that earns that. Not since Gibbs and Marty have we had that......if Danny stays out of it we are light years better off today than we were yesterday.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Sources are reporting the Redskins just hired Bob Holly to be their new offensive coordinator. The search for the new head coach continues. There is a rumor that Snyder saw a certain "joie de vivre" in Holly that he found irresistable and he is considering elevating him to head coach after getting turned down by Robiskie.

Posted by: CTSkins | January 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

2010 NFL Draft Order
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 4, 2010 11:21 AM ET
For the first time ever, the top 20 picks in the NFL Draft will be made up exclusively of teams that didn't make the playoffs. The playoff teams will make up the final 12 picks, depending on results.

Ties in record are broken by strength of schedule. Ties in strength of schedule can be broken by division or conference tiebreakers, but those weren't applicable in the top 20 this year.

Three ties will be determined later based on a coin flip. We've starred any picks that still need a coin flip. Here goes:

1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Washington (4-12)
5. Kansas City (4-12)
6. Seattle (5-11)
7. Cleveland (5-11)
8. Oakland (5-11)
9. Buffalo (6-10)
10t. Denver (Traded from Chicago) (7-9)
10t. Jacksonville (7-9)
12. Miami (7-9)
13. San Francisco (8-8)
14. Seattle (Traded from Denver) (8-8)
15. New York Giants (8-8)
16t. Tennessee (8-8)
16t. San Francisco (Traded from Carolina) (8-8)
18. Pittsburgh (9-7)
19t. Atlanta (9-7)
19t. Houston (9-7)

Picks 21-24 will be the wild card round losers. Picks 25-28 will be the divisional round losers. Picks 29-30 will be the conference championship losers. Pick 31 will be the Super Bowl loser. Pick 32 will be the Super Bowl winner.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

ding ding

close your tray tables, bring your seat back into an upright position.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com this morning:
Pick / Team / Record / Opp. SOS

1 Rams 1-15 .520
2 Lions 2-14 .523
3 Bucs 3-13 .555
4 Redskins 4-12 .492
5 Chiefs 4-12 .516

Posted by: PDXskin | January 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse
*******************************

Wow, compare the SOS vs the other worst teams in the NFL. I wish SOS carried more weight. I think we should be awarded 2nd or 3rd pick on pity alone.

Notice we played the 4 (other) worst teams and we were a whopping 2-2. Yet, statistically we're middle of the pack in most categories. I'm sorry but that's on the coaching, not the players. Zorn = nice guy, but terrible HC.

Posted by: HTTR | January 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Spanglerg | January 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse
**************************

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 4, 2010 12:11 PM

They don't play on punt return teams.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

All you people that think RB will be a priority think again. How can you forget that Shanamanahanaman is the guy that believes his running system works no matter who is back there? Expect Ganther and Mason and say goodbye to Portalia and Betts.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

For example, AJ Smith turned Eli Manning into Phillip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, and Nick Keading. Nice bit of magic.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

They don't play on punt return teams.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse
**************
my bad, I was thinking special teams.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Schedule for 2010 should be NFC-E, AFC-S & NFC-N, plus TB & St.L

2011 would be NFC-E, AFC-E & NFC-W, plus 2 TBD

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 4, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

HTTR
I long thought the NFL should make the non-playoff draft rankings equal (WL+Sos)/2

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 4, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2010 12:06 PM

Post-Elway, Shanahan won ONE post-season for game. Otherwise, bye week then loss, wild card loss, wild card loss, [the win, then] loss.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Dree Brees

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

There's one slight difference between comparing Brees and Bradford?

Posted by: ga8085 | January 4, 2010 12:14 PM

WRONG.

Bress was a FA who signed for big $$$ with NO. The Dolphins were scared off.

His draft position is irrelevant in this situation.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Schedule for 2010 should be NFC-E, AFC-S & NFC-N, plus TB & St.L

2011 would be NFC-E, AFC-E & NFC-W, plus 2 TBD

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 4, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we play the NFC-N last season?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Rams will go with Suh IMO and stick with Bulger or Boller for another year. Detroit will pick Berry I think or the DT from OK. Tampa Bay will pick Berry, OK DT, and some still think maybe Dez Bryant, so if it all works out, Okung will fall in the SKins lap. Its going to take forever for the draft to come around.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I will have a real hard time placing any faith in this team next year with Soup as the QB. Even with a good O Line, he is not the answer. It is so obvious. Just look into his eyes, there is no confidence at all. It's all in the eyes.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 4, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's shiny (not so) new toy Shanahan is going to want a QB that he's coached before to implement the playbook/scheme in training camp and as insurance IF the rookie isn't ready and WHEN the rookie gets injured behind a still atrocious line. Patrick Ramsey returns, long live Ramsey! Everything old is new again in DC...

Posted by: SnyderisaBornLoser | January 4, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To those who covet an Olinemen:

Shanny had success with a unique O-Line philosophy: small, quick, pulling, and crack-back blocking. The RB would take 2-3 long steps sideways/diagonal, then cut hard into the gap created in the stretched line.

The prototype Top10 Olineman is big and fat. Shanny may think he can get his type of Olineman (smaller, but fast & smart) in the 3-6th tounds or off the wire.

Isn't it convienient that they year after we decided to ignore our Oline issues, we have a new HC with a different Oline philosophy?

Posted by: cballer | January 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe after 10 straight years of fat-stuff Snyder fraudulently taking us to the cleaners, you are willing to once again believe in his crap. Our beloved Redskins will not win until Snyder is gone. Has this man EVER made a good decision about football? Even once? Uh-huh, I didn't think so. Why discuss future players, etc? Winning will not happen until fat-stuff has totally removed himself from FedX Field! Snyder will not allow this team to function professionally. His mind is the only so-called professional he trusts. He makes all the decisions and picks. Any intelligent person would be done with this idiot once and for all. I can't believe Bruce Allen was suckered in to trust him. He won't stay. Watch! I'm looking for another team. Stick a fork in all of Washington, DC, they're all done! Put'em all up on Ebay! I hope Norv Turner wins the Super Bowl! I hope Zorn goes on to win a Super bowl somewhere. That might rid DC of Snyder!

Posted by: Jackie18 | January 4, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Look here to see Shanny's draft history Not a lot of O Linemen in the 1st rounds. Lot's of Defensive players, and 1 QB of note (Cutler).

Posted by: cballer | January 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

To borrow from Bruce Allen's father, the future is yesterday.

FIRE THE OWNER.

Posted by: gmuhokie2009 | January 4, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"I like the statement and am excited about the direction in which the team seems to be headed."

This is not a dig at the poster of that statement, but given Snyder's record, isn't this a bit delusional?

Posted by: AlohaFan | January 4, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Snyder should have hired Brian Billick as VP/Football Operations. Let him hire a GM and THEY hire a coach. I don't think BB is all that great a coach but I think he knows the football business and is respected. I just think Bruce Allen will be Snyder's beard.

Posted by: gbooksdc | January 4, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com this morning:
Pick / Team / Record / Opp. SOS

1 Rams 1-15 .520
2 Lions 2-14 .523
3 Bucs 3-13 .555
4 Redskins 4-12 .492
5 Chiefs 4-12 .516

----

First I don't buy the Rams Taking a first round Quarterback. The rams have three areas, maybe four that need a lot more help before the QB position is looked at.

1. Defensive Line - St Louis got almost no pressure on any decent team this year, and the DT/DE hybrid they drafted a while back well he's not been as good as projected. Adam Carriker, the DT mentioned, was on IR early in the season (I don't even think he made it through one whole game)

2. Wide Receiver - With Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce now gone, the Rams had one WR whose name anyone would recognize (avery). If you have noone decent to throw too you are going to regress. Donnie Avery had 589 total yards for 5 TD and ranked 70th (tied with Dwayne Bowe) in the league in receiving yards, and that was their TOP receiving threat. their next two receivers were WR Brandon Gibson (342), and randy McMichael (TE) (332), Danny Amendola (WR-326) and Steven Jackson (RB-322) at 122, 130, 133, 136 respectively... thus I sawy Bulger had no decent WR targets to throw too, so the fact they manufactured any offense at all seems a miracle if you ask me.

3. Defensive Backfield: Saint Louis had a problem producing Turnovers too. James Butler (safety), had 3 Ints and he was tied for 42nd in total INTs for the season, the other safety Oshiomogho Atogwe was 81st in the league with only 2 INTs While Safety Anthony Smith who did half the year in Stl, and now is in Jacksonville. Saint Louis had a League low 8 Interceptions, tied with Oakland for futility at the position was second in overall give away take away ratio and while they did have 12 Fumbles recovered was 8th in the league but their total give away take away ratio was -13. Now atogwe was on IR after week 13,

4.Quarterback - Yes the injury to Bulger is a concern that they will eventually need to address, but with so many other wholes does St louis go for a new QB? I just don't buy it. Bulger when healthy is more than servicable, if you get him the WRs he needs to throw too he can be more than a game manager.

I just feel St Louis will go defense, which means they either take the DT Suh that everyone is talking about, or a DB (berry maybe, but I doubt it happens)

Posted by: Veretax | January 4, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

NOTHING CHANGES, SNYDER got his money from perseverance and shrewd business tactics. Because of his success, he thinks he is smarter than everyone else. He is obviously out of his league like Zorn was when snyder hired him. he will make the same arrogant mistakes he has made all along. don't hold your breath.

Posted by: mgcrhcp | January 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm amazed (though I shouldn't be) at how a few insincere words on a press release not written by Comrade Snyder can buy some people off. He may have gotten the message?! He's off to a great 2010 start?! Do you all not recall what has happened in the past 10 years?!

What a bunch of morons this fanbase be, they and their money deserve to get ganked by Comrade Snyder and his Salacious Crumb underling Comrade Donovan.

Posted by: playahatah | January 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

How this inarticulate boob every became rich is just incredible ... snyder is incapable of putting together a coherent press release, publlic announcement, you name it and he can´t do it.

INcredible, just incredible.

This man is shallow, insincere, inconsiderate, and absolutely incapable of expressing a single sincere statement.

Riggo was right.

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season." - Snyder

In the immortal words of the great American philosopher, JAY-Z:

"we don't believe you, you need more people"

It's taken you how many years to realize you don't know what you're doing -- and that your strong suit is signing checks... ONLY!!!?!!!?!!! Man sit down some and shut up. Please.

Posted by: LIKWID | January 4, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Can Obama fire Snyder .. ?

Posted by: boblas | January 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

As a Reskins fan, it's awful to be going thru this agony, but we've been there before with the Bengals. I guess "little Pauly" finally found the right coach. However, Daniel Snyder has never had the right coach according to him. Apparently it doesn't make any difference that at least one of his coaches has a great record and is going to the play offs, or that Joe Gibbs had enough and won't come back. So someone should put his "azz" on the field and let him see what it's like. It's time this little boy grew up and realized it's more then the coach that's always wrong. He needs a quarterback, recruiters that know what they need and go find it and Snyder needs to stay the heck out of it--ALL OF IT!

Posted by: suebee2 | January 4, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

A few edits to the prepared statement: (1) "I realize that I'm about to name the 7th head coach in a decade. Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing." (2) "Bruce Allen would speak for himself, but he's busy right now analyzing the football operations." (3) "How about that Norv Turner?" (4) "We're in discussions w/ John Elway to see if he's interested in returning to the NFL."

Posted by: randysbailin | January 5, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

The final proof this team had gone to hell in a handbasket was back when crybaby Clinton Portis had the audacity to have a shouting match with Coach Zorn when Zorn tried to discipline him, and what happened? Portis then ran to Snyder and underminded the Coach and Snyder had it in for Zorn from then on! Clinton Portis needs to be the FIRST NEXT to go. Zorn could do nothing with that team when they saw how Portis was babied by Snyder. Clinton made sure Zorn was screwed! Portis undermind the Coach and the team fell into total chaos. Portis made sure that team could not win again. Zorn could do nothing about anything from then on. Goodby crybaby Portis and your fake concussion, take Snyder with you because there will be no more crying to Momma Snyder! Any competent CEO would have known better than to undermine the Coach in the whole teams eyes! If Portis would be allowed to stay to run in to Snyders office, Bruce Allen will take off. Watch! I blame Snyder and lazy Portis for this entire failed fiasco! Portis has got to be the first to be fired! NOW! I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Snyder's mouth. All BS! Bruce Allen will catch on fast!

Posted by: Jackie18 | January 5, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Whatever Danno. Pay Zorn his $2.5 mil, give him a good reference, and maybe make a call or two on his behalf. Then, look in the mirror and say "I've handled the Zorn deal honorably enough, I really do want to let football people run football operations." Then and only then will the nightmare of your ownership tenure to-date be over for us all. Of course, you being such a huge fan, probably do feel the most pain. Let's see the new you DS. Let's see the new you.

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | January 5, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Mike there is still time to run. Run fast back to the airport!

Posted by: dkane3 | January 5, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Mike there is still time to run. Run fast back to the airport! This is a bad gig.

Posted by: dkane3 | January 5, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I have been a Redskins fan for alot of years and I am sickened by the direction the team has been headed since Daniel Snyder became owner. He continues to try and buy a winning team. Until he takes his hands off the team and allow a winning team to be built, Redskin fans will continue to suffer. Being a lifelong fan does not mean he knows squat about running an NFL franchise.

Posted by: tuck2694 | January 5, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Loyal Fans,
We will get our leading problem, low ROI, fixed, right quick. Please do your part and buy all the excess merchandise form Target and other retailers. We need to find a home for the 2010 stuff. Loyal fans purchase only authentic RedskinsTM merchandise

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyMSnyder | January 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Shanny won't tolerate Snyder interference and Allen knows how to handle a troublesome owner (he had success working for Al Davis!). I have hope.

Posted by: shanks1 | January 5, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

2010 is looking good. Cerrato gone. New experienced GM in. Zorn gone. New experienced coach (Shanahan) to come. However, the most important piece of this puzzle is that Danny boy has actually taken ownership for mistakes he has made. It is no longer "I do what I want because it's my team." It looks like he has finally realized that he needs to step aside and let professionals run his team. Looking good...... Everything else will take care of itself. They better keep Jason.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | January 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What Snyder really said:

I am the GENIUS and while I was the GENIUS in years past I am more of a GENIUS now. I made mistakes by hiding my GENIUS in previous years. But now, with George Allen DNA, having failed with Joe Gibbs, I will conquer all now.

The past ten years were practice for the GENIUS. Now I am ready to be the real GENIUS. Trust me.

Posted by: atidwell | January 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Question for mustang johnnie: What mistakes did Snyder admit to exactly? You are willing to believe this man has acknowledged his mistakes? LOL! You would be a fool to ever believe a word this Snyder says again. He is corrupt. He's a fraud. Sit in his stands and then show me where he cares about anything but himself, his money, and his ego. Go Norv! Go Chargers!

Posted by: Jackie18 | January 5, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jackie,

you must not follow the skins closely. Say what you will about snyder but he is a "fan" and wants to win. He has gone about it the wrong way obviously but by firing Vinny and hiring new GM and Shanahan shows that he is learning on the job and hopefully meant what he said. He also did not make a stupid comment like Vinny in referring to Jim Zorn. Maybe a PR stunt? Who knows. But after a season full of valleys (in and off the field) it is refreshing to see Snyder "taking" some ownership. BTW, I am rooting for the chargers in the AFC. Norv is one of the many people Snyder has wronged and I liked him as a coach.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | January 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Mustang Johnny: Just what did I say that made you think I "don't follow the Skins closely"? I could count on one hand the Home games I've missed in decades. You? If you want to keep believing that just because Snyder's a "fan and wants to win" qualifies him in someway, stick with him and watch them continue on down the tubes for year 12. And, "learning on the job" is a sure fire way to risk a failed team and no place anywhere in football playing. Doesn't impress most Fans one whit! After 12 years, he's done. We expect nothing but excellence. He's proved he's no genius about football, fan or not. He needs to move on and find another project. Hands off all team decisions. Move his office to his also failed Theme Park at Landover. Next time how 'bout answering Poster's questions if you can, instead of assuming something personal about a Poster with no evidence whatsoever.

Posted by: Jackie18 | January 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jackie,

Fine. No details on Snyder's acknowledgement but my point is at least he publicly admitted he has made mistakes (ego or no ego). Snyder has improved in his approach in the past few weeks. He angered the fan base this year and seems to have changed his tune. I "assumed" you do not follow the skins closely because you made comments like "... show me where he cares about anything but himself, his money, and his ego." He is constantly shakin' and bakin'. He spends more money on players and coaches and the stadium than any other owner. Sure he overcharges for parking and tickets to make up for it and made bonehead moves like going after old ladies and banning signs. However, as misguided as his football moves (acquisitions, trades etc) have been, they have also been about trying to win and he has spared no money in going after what he believes will deliver a winning team on the field. FOr crying outloud, the man lured Gibbs out of retirement. He does have a big ego and unfortunately he trusted Cerrato in personnel moves. MOst people with the amount of money he has would have an ego though. So we agree on that. That has been the biggest problem. He has not admitted, UNTIL NOW, that he has made mistakes and has ha interfered and undermined coaches (remember Norv after a loss to the cowgirls at home?). Gibbs suceeded as much as he did (compared to other coaches) because Snyder "as a fan" respects Gibbs and let him run the team. Gibbs also cknowledged that Snyder is all about winning and is loyal to the skins. You don't believe Snyder? Fine. I'm not saying I'd bet my house on his statement either. However, if Gibbs backs him up (in wanting to win as an owner) then I believe Gibbs. His integrity you cannot touch. Anyways, enough about Snyder. Only time will tell and I hope you are wrong Jackie. I hope that hiring Allen and Shanahan and firing Cerrato is the beginning back to the top. Hope that answered your questions.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | January 6, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse