Posted at 10:24 AM ET, 11/18/2010

Daniel Snyder: 18-game season means more high-quality games

By Rick Maese

Talk show host Maury Povich served as moderator Wednesday night at the University of Maryland's annual Shirley Povich Colonnade Reception in College Park, and he asked Daniel Snyder about the potential for an 18-game NFL season.

"Good question," the Redskins' owner said. "Don't know yet. I think we've got a lot of work ahead of us. Obviously, we've got CBA issues, a potential lockout. We're going to try to work on it simultaneously."

The topic for the evening was "The Changing Landscape of Sports: How much is too much?" Povich asked Snyder whether he was one of the owners in favor of adding two games to the regular season schedule.

"Yes," Snyder said.

And Povich quickly asked if it was because of the money. The audience laughed and Snyder responded, "No," before engaging the crowd.

"Why don't you applaud if you'd like to have less preseason games?" he asked. The audience clapped.

"So the idea is not to add games," Snyder said. "It's to really deliver quality product, quality games."

There was a lot of talk about money and the business side of sports at Wednesday's symposium. At one point, Povich asked Snyder whether tickets had become too expensive for fans.

"I'm very sensitive to the fact -- you know, our cheapest ticket is $44," he noted. "And I'm always debating, should we just lower the price? It just feels expensive. So it is an ongoing debate, and we're very sensitive to it."

Snyder said that of the team's 250 suites, all but five or six have been sold this season.

The last question of the evening came from a young Redskins fan, who asked Snyder why owners and players seem willing to let money -- the ongoing labor dispute -- ruin the 2011 season for fans.

"No. 1, we hope not to," Snyder said. "Obviously, I want to play football. I understand the passion from the fans. I'm a fan. I don't want to have work stoppage at all. I'm not on the committees and I'm not really involved in the hand-to-hand there. I'm on the broadcast committee and some of these other media committees. But I'm looking forward to continuing. I think we've got a heck of an organization and quarterback, so I want to play football."

By Rick Maese  | November 18, 2010; 10:24 AM ET
Categories:  Daniel M. Snyder
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Snyder calls loss to Eagles 'embarrassing' at U-Md. appearance
Next: Carlos Rogers not optimistic about playing Sunday

Comments

Daniel Snyder: 18-game season means higher quality games

I like the idea provided the league also go to a common BYE where all teams break at the same time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Deeper teams will benefit from an 18 game schedule.

The Skins are not one of those teams.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 18, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Deeper teams will benefit from an 18 game schedule.

The Skins are not one of those teams.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 18, 2010 10:44 AM |

Not now but maybe in the future they will be.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

as sharp as a marble

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 9:54 AM

As significant as belly button lint. Boycott $nyder!

Posted by: beep-beep | November 18, 2010 10:20 AM |

as significant as watching ameoba in heat.

please fund snyder !

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

________________

I think this post actually quoted Snyder wrong. This is what he actually said:

"So the idea is not to add games," Snyder said. "It's to add more money to the owners' pockets."

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 18, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

If technique was what was wrong with Leitchensuck then don't you think his technique would improve and therefore he'd be getting better with each game (i.e. blown up on a fewer % of plays)? This isn't happening; if anything it's getting worse. I don't think it is a simple technique thing with him because he flat out sucks. I'd rather have a rookie getting blown up and LEARNING, than a guy who is not improving and just sucks. After all, if the performance level = sucks hairy balls, does it really matter who is out there? So which is better - one who sucks now but can/will learn, or one who sucks now and forever? I'd take the former than the latter, and Leitchensuck definitely fits the latter.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | November 18, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I promise to be better then J Reid.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 18, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

That's not saying much!

That's like saying Rod Gardner promises to be better than Desmond Howard!

I'm not saying you won't be better than him, but it doesn't take much!

Posted by: monk811 | November 18, 2010 10:37 AM

I'm not going if hess doesn't.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 18, 2010 10:39 AM |

I've been there. give rocco a break and visit his blog, he's a 17 yr old dude with the motivation to start his own blog. good luck rocco. these guys will rip anyone over anything so don't pay much attention to them.

FUND SNYDER-FUND SNYDER-FUND SNYDER!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder: 18-game season means higher quality games

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

How about 2 bye weeks for 18 games? That would make sense to me. Let's say after week 7 and week 14. I don't think they'll do a league wide bye week.

Posted by: monk811 | November 18, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 18, 2010 10:54 AM |

the tv networks won't allow a bye for all teams at once

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

And Lich is not physically capable of blocking in pass pro. It's not a technique thing. He's too weak. He got destroyed in the Lions game, and Trent Cole kept blowing by him and Rabach on stunts in the Eagles game.

Posted by: p1funk | November 18, 2010 10:39 AM

Dude, I don't disagree that Lich sucks...he SUCKS. All I'm saying is that he's starting not because he can play but because we don't have a better option.

So you and I and Greg are all on the same page on this: Lich needs to go. The only difference is that I recognize that we have NOTHING ELSE at guard and there's no discernible upgrade (at least from our vantage point) currently on the roster.

What cracks me up is that Hess and others bemoan the trading of picks and then in the same breath bemoan the stopgap players we have to live with until we can use those picks properly...for example, we could have easily had Reggie Wells right before the season started and could've had him for a 5th round pick. So when you DON'T trade picks for veteran help, you'll have to live with guys like Lich and Galloway for a year until you can draft who you want. Can't have it both ways...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting on that quality product Dan...

Posted by: Moose33 | November 18, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 10:53 AM

Sorry rocco...not being mean...just not going...and why the hell aren't you in school!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2010 10:58 AM |

could you further explain this brown ? I'm having a hard time understanding your point

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

JFreak,
Not trying to make excuses, but Lichenthedicken is very young (drafted in 08) and playing out of position. He's a center that got moved into Dock's guard position. Our current cernter, Rabach, doesn't look like he's playing well to the casual observer, but his teammates just voted him a team captain.

Sounds like a real indictment of Dock if nothing else.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 18, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

...also worth noting, Lichenwhatever was drafted in 08 by Shanny in the 4th round, and played all 16 games for the Broncs.

I think Shanny likes him.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 18, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

monk

Sounds like a plan.

Git Roger on the phone and tell him this is what I want to happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

brown

--------

true, I bemoan the trading of draft picks, but all I stated was to give a young receiver named austin a shot at real game time instead of practice time and that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE he can contibute more than an over the hill galloway. also, austin was drafted 7th round by the redskins, so I'd say it's not bemoaning when it comes to replacing galloway with austin.

FUND SNYDER-FUND SNYDER-FUND SNYDER!!!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

For those who think that having more regular season games is more money for owners is actually misleading. Preseason games are the most profitable for owners, they get paid regular season ticket prices but the players dont get game checks, so if anything, he would want more preseason games.

Posted by: zjenks | November 18, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjenks | November 18, 2010 11:19 AM |

Don't use logic most on here don't understand that, they like to make up there own BS

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who has actually played a full football season and just not watched the game from the stands is not in favor of adding 2 more games.

They know the physical toll of playing in 10 or 11 games let alone 16 games has on their bodies.

Second when do they propose starting the season? The middle of August? There is a reason they do not play day games during this period. It called Heat Stroke.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | November 18, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Snyder's statement about ticket prices makes me think about something that I repeatedly read on these blogs. The Redskins haven't raised ticket prices in five years so, those of you that continue to post that he greedily raises ticket prices every year (and you know who you are) please just shut the h**l up.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | November 18, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

More high quality games like the one last Monday? Sounds great

just a reminder- all of our starters sat the last pre season game. P manning played t brady played etc etc. Our guys sat. There were no position battles I guess.

Offseason champs

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

SNYDER SUCKS. SNYDER WILL NEVER, EVER BE LIKE BY REDSKINS FANS.

The thought of this FOOL potentially holding the Lombardi Trophy at a Super Bowl SICKENS me. The sheep-ple can keep on lining this FOOL's pockets every year. I will never, ever spend a single dollar on this team as long as this FOOL is the owner.

18 games means this FOOL has two more games to line his pockets with an inferior product.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | November 18, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

HA, I have to disagree with Mr. Snyder, in the skins case its quantity NOT quality. Especially with what he's been putting on the field the past 10 years.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | November 18, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Shanny + son like him despite him sucking and not getting any better. I don't care how young a guy is, I want to see some improvement of any kind. We aren't seeing any, and Shanny is saying he's playing "really well." This is more an indictment of Shanny than anything else. If sucking worse than a paralyzed guy in a wheelchair is your version of "playing well" I don't want to know what playing badly is.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | November 18, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The skins need to go back to 6 preseason games, they need the practice.... AND CARDIO... yea - 6 preseason 14 regular, just like old times 2 less chances at another LOSS..I've been selected at birth to endure this crap...

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | November 18, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 11:03 AM

I'm pretty sure you're being a smart ass here so I'll actually answer that to spite you.

I'll put in terms you can understand...let's assign hypothetical Madden ratings to these guys:

You have two LGs...Lich who has a 60 rating and Dock who has a 70 rating. Dock is slow...too slow to pull or expect him to do anything other than fall forward and take a DT down with him. Lich has a lower overall rating but has the speed and agility to pull and fits the system better. Nobody on the FA market has an overall rating higher than 57 and isn't nearly as athletic as Lich. So you play Lich until you can draft a better option...or one comes available in FA next offseason.

Can't break it down any simpler than that, Hess...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | November 18, 2010 11:29 AM |

I don't think yeshua would approve of this kind of language jfk

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

From Rich Campbell

Rich on Twitter

Portis spoke to reporters this morning, said he's still hurting and can't yet go full-speed w/o setbacks. Doesn't sound good for Sunday. 12 minutes ago

Talking to Carlos Rogers (hamstring) , he doesn't sound optimistic about his chances of playing vs TEN. 59 minutes ago

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2010 11:48 AM

This is bad news, if true....

Posted by: Alan4 | November 18, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

You know, with all this talk on Guards on the interior of the O-line. I wonder how Big Mike Williams fits into their plans next year?

Hey Reid, how about doing a follow up story on how the Big Guy is doing? Is he staying in shape? around the facility studying film? losing weight?

It's wishful thinking, but I don't think he plays well into their schemes. Plus he's been out of football too long.

Guess we're still in the market next year for two guards and a center. That's going to be hard to do.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 18, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2010 11:36 AM |

I'm just trying to have some fun brown, maybe I should do so the week after a victory.

BANKROLL SNYDER-BANKROLL SNYDER-BANKROLL SNYDER!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Ok Hess, I'll be nicer.

We aren't putting the better product on the field w/ the LG position. If Leitchensuck is bad because of technique issues, then this should be worked out in practice and not in the games until he is flat out better than the other guy we have (i.e. getting blown up less than Dock). We also aren't increasing Dock's trade value for when we want to get rid of him in the offseason. One would figure through weight training and technique drills with Leitchensuck, he'd become good (Leitchendecent) by next year where he'd be better than Dock, so next year would be the optimum time to get rid of Dock. When we want to get rid of him, we want to get good value for him, and we are decreasing his value more by not even having him dress compared to if he played and he wasn't at his best due to scheme issues. This is just overall poor decision making by Shanny + son, and is not in the best interest of the team.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | November 18, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

dive ass

Posted by: PlayAction | November 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | November 18, 2010 11:58 AM |

sick of hearing dockery doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme. the guy is a better pass blocker than lich and should be able to run block with his nfl experience alone. why can't these coaches adapt to the players we have on our roster and work with what we have. the 3-4 defense is a complete failure because of the personnel. getting an old QB that's no more than a back-up at this point in his career instead of the 2nd round pick going to pick an o-lineman, it sucks, not the redskins

cart before horse

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

dive ass

Posted by: PlayAction | November 18, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather dive p*ssy

Posted by: monk811 | November 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

then why didnt Dockery play the final pre season game?

What's Hicks' "Madden rating"?

what if either of the starters gets hurt?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Based on this inept hack's track record as owner what does he know about "quality." What a dishonest little creep. It is all about the money to these parasitic fat cats.

Posted by: vztownes | November 18, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

When the fork-tongued Snyder says it's not about the money, watch your wallet.

oh and as lifelong Skins fan, this piece just saddens me to no end.

Posted by: giggity1 | November 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Quality games? With more first string players on injured reserve? Nonsense! It's all about the money. Snyder is blowing smoke to cover his greed.

Posted by: Lefty_ | November 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

18 game season means more high quality football, provided the Redskins don't play

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 18, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

More quality games? - Does that mean after week 16 the skins, the AFC and NFC west, Buffalo, Detroit, Cincy stop playing?

can you imagine what garbage games we'll have the last 3 or 4 weeks when teams are eliminated from the playoff race in an 18 game season?

Posted by: temuchin | November 18, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

It would definitely be better to eliminate pre-season games in favor of regular season games.

For fans, as well as owners.

Redskins season ticket holders are ALREADY paying full price for preseason games.

Posted by: Benson | November 18, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really care what Dan "Moneybags" Snyder says about anything at this point? He is the worst owner in professional sports hands down. He has turned a once proud franchise into a national joke.

Posted by: jmarks09 | November 18, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

wow people... a whole lot of nothing on here today

Peabrain....... we all know your a madden genius n won 6 SB titles ok pal, reality is nobody cares and it doesn't matter what our line is rated in a video game.

Snyder is a double edge sword. Its good we got an owner that is willing to spend. The reverse side is that he makes bad decisions on where to spend it. If he used his money to steal away young draft picks from other teams resigning then we would all love him. He hasn't tho, they signed numerous retirement checks.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I know everyone here thinks because Shanny said so we are in WIN NOW mode.

Everyone knows that's a pile of crap.

We are 3 yrs away from being a legit team

I doubt we trade away many players

Nobodys gonna pick up Doc after he was cut then benched by us

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 18, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the NCAA expanded the Bball tourney for the same reason. Quality.

Posted by: FLvet | November 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

There is one reason why the league wants to go to 18 games. Money.

Posted by: Redskindan44 | November 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It's money.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

$ndyer, you money grubbing little twit. Why do you insist on being so obvious about your desire to make money?

Posted by: password11 | November 18, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Maury says,"In the case of 78 year old Washington Redskins Franchise....Daniel you are NOT the father!"

Posted by: TCM80 | November 18, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Oh yeah, it's all about "quality".

Posted by: mocmao | November 18, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Maury Povich?!

WTF?

That guy is so weird.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 18, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"Growing up as a lifelong Redskin fan, I could never afford tickets," Snyder said. "And having business success and being able to buy the team and [I] have not raised the general admission ticket price in five years. But what does pay and help pay the payrolls is the corporate sponsorship role and the suites and the club seats to pay for the big stadiums. So there's a balancing act going on."

What a load of twaddle. He was never a "life-long" Redskin fan and if he was, he decided without any effort it is better to gouge the fans to the maximum. Fed-Ex field is a disgrace and anyone approaching the stadium would easily be led to believe the Redskins' colors are those of Fed-Ex.

Posted by: garrafa10 | November 18, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Pre season, Regular season, Playoffs,Super Bowl,Pro Bowl, enough is
enough, leave it as it is. Greed and more money, may = fan fatigue, and more health problems for players.

Posted by: snitchonmurder | November 18, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason to hate Chainsaw Dan: FEWER preseason games, not "less preseason games."

Posted by: michaeldegnan03 | November 18, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Shut it Dan. Just go away. Sure, you haven't raised prices, but you've managed to run the team into the ground.

Posted by: katedog | November 18, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't think yeshua would approve of this kind of language jfk
Posted by: hessone
--------------
What position does he play? - and is he available?

Posted by: pjohn2 | November 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, well if $nyder says it...

Posted by: peauxsucent | November 18, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

EIGHTEEN GAMES MEANS MORE MONEY IN DANNY BOY'S POCKET.

Posted by: skinfreak | November 18, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the QB coddling with an 18-game schedule?

Pretty soon, QB pads will have airbags.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 18, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

You got to be kidding me Snider puts 16 of the lowest quality games on teh market for the NFL I cant belive we still get on monday night and he wants more?

Posted by: thomasuras | November 18, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thomasuras | November 18, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has studied this from every angle and has determined that 10 wins is usually the mark that will get a team into the playoffs. He thinks that by having two extra games, it will help the 'Skins get closer to the 10-win mark and that elusive playoff birth. Meanwhile McNabb was asking people how many wins they would need to get to .500 if they play 18 games.

Posted by: josettes | November 19, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I gave up my season tickets five years ago. The Redskins are over priced and have been since Snyder bought the team.
The Redskins are terrible. They have no offensive line. They cant score. What is that worth? Vinny Cerrato football is not worth watching. Go Ravens.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | November 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I am shocked that anyone who is not an NFL owner would be in favor of 18 games.

1 - 16 is enough
2 - Injuries become bigger factor
3 - I care about the season records

Anytime someone says "it's not about the money" it's about the money

Posted by: jack_mo_99 | November 19, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

With the Redskins' current roster, an eight game season is pretty long.

Posted by: esch | November 19, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This is enough to make me puke.
Danny Boy says, with a straight face, that it's not about money. Adding games just makes for higher quality, see? Never mind the escalating number of injuries and concussions. He says all the suites are sold. He says "I think we've got a heck of an organization and quarterback, so I want to play football." Does anyone believe any of this crap?
And the gutless media and terminally naive fan base just stands there and listens.

Posted by: jos587 | November 19, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Does that LOOOOOOOSER $nyder want more games in a season? Is that the question?
A, DUH!!!!!! Does a Hobby Horse have a hickory weenie?

All that bottom feeder sees is two more opportunities to parade a charade of overpaid, underachieving dolts out onto FedEx Field, and be able to stash that much more $$$$$$$ into his fat little pockets!

Doesn't the word $atan start with the letter "$" A, DUH!

Posted by: burro2 | November 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse