Daniel Poised in Strong Showing

Despite the lousy numbers for starter Jason Campbell (1 for 7, 10 yards) in Saturday night's 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, one Redskins quarterback had plenty of reasons to smile. That would be rookie Chase Daniel, who is considered a longshot to make the team but impressed in completing 6 of 8 throws for 58 yards and Washington's only two touchdowns of the preseason -- a nice 3-yard touch pass to rookie receiver Marko Mitchell and an 18-yard seam pass to tight end Fred Davis.

Coach Jim Zorn called Daniel's performance "wonderful."

"He was poised," Zorn said. "We're working on some tempo things. He was excited, he hung in there. ... I was excited for a guy not getting a lot of reps to perform with some poise."

Daniel, a Heisman Trophy finalist last year at Missouri, outperformed incumbent backup Todd Collins (5 of 9, 39 yards with an interception) and incumbent third-stringer Colt Brennan (3 for 5, 42 yards and an interception). And he got rid of any jitters he had

"To get out there and get hit, finally, made me feel all right," Daniel said. "I'm a physical quarterback."

He is a physical quarterback who, before Saturday night, hadn't been able to show what he could do in a game. Afterward, he was flying high. He was the last Redskin to remove his uniform pants in the locker room, smiling as he dissected his performance.

"Any time you can go out there in your first NFL game and throw two touchdowns, it's something you dream about," Daniel said. "It's something I've been dreaming about since I was 6 or 7 years old. Not in my wildest dreams did I think I would go out there and throw two touchdowns. It was a great feeling."

Daniel's finest moment may have been on the throw to Davis, which came on the first play after Davis forced a fumble on a punt return by the Steelers. Daniel got the Pittsburgh safety to bite on a ball fake, and Davis slipped through the secondary wide open.

"He seemed confident," Davis said. "He slang the rock; running it. It's like he knew what he was doing."

Campbell, watching Daniel's performance from the sideline, was thrilled for the rookie.

"It was exciting for him," Campbell said Saturday night. "He's a young kid coming in. He's excited about the game tonight. He got his opportunity to play. Any time you see young guys go in and make things happen and have fun, you're excited for him, because it's a dream. ... Job well done."

Daniel, who is shorter than the 6-feet at which he is listed, had one 22-yard scramble as well. He was sacked twice (once for a loss, once for no gain), both times by Pittsburgh rookie Ziggy Hood, a teammate of Daniel's at Missouri.

"That's got to be a good feeling for him, getting a sack on one of his best friends," Daniel said.

Daniel was signed as an undrafted free agent. Brennan, a sixth-round selection out of Hawaii in 2008, threw an interception for the second straight week. He is now 7 of 17 for 85 yards in two exhibition games this year, throwing the two picks without a scoring pass. That adds up to an abysmal 17.7 passer rating. Last year, Brennan caused excitement in the preseason when he went 36 for 53 (68 percent) for 411 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Zorn said Campbell, whose passer rating in five series is 43.1, and the starting unit will play at least a half in Friday's exhibition game against New England at FedEx Field. A decision on whether Daniel has a chance to beat out Brennan for the third quarterback spot likely won't come until the final exhibition game, Sept. 3 at Jacksonville.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 23, 2009; 5:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Praises Campbell's Decision-Making
Next: Moss Says Mitchell Was the Talk of Camp

Comments

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Check out what CB said after the game.
Did he say he was better that JC ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's open the comment section windows to let out this little mosquito, HIRE_MARTY_S

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Mack1, google quantum theory and follow "observer and the observed"

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:25 PM |

Thanks for the simple explanation peace. You might want to try to do a little googling yourself. Try "paranoid schizophrenia."

Posted by: mack1 | August 23, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

CHASE,

Nice job dude, but let's keep the dream stuff under check. This was in the second half of the preseason.

Wish you all the success as a Redskin for years to come.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I did Mack. It said "paranoid Schiazophrenia=a condition afflicting Redskins fans who cannot accept success. Also a condition where every achievement is turned into a dark failure."

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:14 PM

I'm a loyal skins fan dude.
I always supply great interviews about the players. Here's one about JC on why he had a poor outing.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey,PEACEFUL tell "CHASE" I'll be late on my payment this month.

Chase did say that in the CC interview though.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Well folks, it's been real.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, yes even you, the negative Skin fan.

Success will heal all wounds

Here is to 11-5

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

CHASE,

Wish you all the success as a Redskin for years to come.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:16 PM |

Dude, I'm down with all your positivity stuff so keep it coming. What Chase did is accomplish more of an NFL dream than 99% of the people on this blog or anywhere else for that matter.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"He was the last Redskin to remove his uniform pants in the locker room"

Who the hell keeps track of this particular statistic... and why?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | August 23, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975
peaceful2008
HIRE_MARTY_S

You guys reek of an internut psyops team, maybe even being the same a**hole..Reading you is like doing open heart surgery on a blue-bottle fly, and occasionally taking a bite out of curiosity..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

frak keeps it real.

Posted by: mack1 | August 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975
peaceful2008
HIRE_MARTY_S

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 5:48 PM

Thanks for letting the world know, about my journalistic skills.
Hey did you catch the JC interviews on CC last night ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope I didn't offend anyone

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 5:25 PM

Don't worry my pacific friend. We're all mellow here on Redskins Insider. No one has ever been offended.

Thanks for your visit. Come again soon. Here you're among kindred spirits and gentle people like yourself.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

No one asked your opinion fu(k boy frak. Go back to your job licking nut sacks in the bathrooms at gay bars.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

TE is small company. Well he's a gentle giant, but in small company. My experience up here is that most people are crotchety, opinionated and slightly resemble coked up hamsters.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Mack1 keeps it gay.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

scambpell... you're above that.

SJK

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Yea, you're right... sometimes I revert.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I sometimes get tired of people taking shots for no reason other than it makes them feel somehow superior sitting behind the shield of their computers...then I join them. Makes perfect sense.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975, you is BORR-RANG..You is borborygmus..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Who's going out for dinner ?
Who's cooking ?

I have no idea what I want !
May be I'll eat this!

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

OK Campbell haters, here are some stats:

QB1 QB2
Comp% 59.9 62.3
TD's 17 13
INT 15 6
Yds 3301 3245
Rating 80.1 84.3
Sacked 46 38

QB1 is the Superbowl MVP Ben Roethlisberger's 2008 numbers. QB2 is Campbell in 2008. Surprisingly comparable, eh? Campbell is going to be fine. Just pipe down and give the offense a chance to gel.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Said all year last year that Colt Brennan sucked.

And the day we signed Chase Daniel, I said he'd be better than Colt. Chase reminds me of a shorter Big Ben. He's a smart QB and his game is good.

As THE resident college football fan on RI blog, THE TRUTH HAS SPOKEN, PUNKS!

PS - I haven't seen either of the preseason games, is Chris Horton still doing his thing?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

You take that back scamp!

Posted by: mack1 | August 23, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Chase is under 6ft right ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Daniel is listed at 6 ft.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Frak, with your 2nd grade grasp of English grammar I'm surprised you were able to come up with something so inventive. Keep at it, you may get a laugh yet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Chase is under 6ft right ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S

I thought you liked 'em under 4 ft.??

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

"OK Campbell haters, here are some stats:

QB1 QB2
Comp% 59.9 62.3
TD's 17 13
INT 15 6
Yds 3301 3245
Rating 80.1 84.3
Sacked 46 38

Posted by: TheNewTruth"

First, change your name. You're a disgrace.

Second, Campbell sucks. I don't care about this and that and this and that and that and then this. WATCH HIM PLAY, HE'S AWFUL.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Alright Mack, I'm sorry.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Chase is under 6ft right ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 6:50 PM

Right. And so is Dan Snyder.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Alright Mack, I'm sorry.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Just about the sorriest muthuhf****uh that ever sprouted fingers and typed a sore sight for eyes..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda known you we're some bitter backroom truck stop tranny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

As THE resident college football fan on RI blog, THE TRUTH HAS SPOKEN, PUNKS!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 6:49 PM |

I don't follow this closely, myself. Can you tell me if the "University" of Georgia is still #1 in the Power Rankings? They were #1 about this time last year, weren't they? Did they go on to a national championship? Did they beat their arch rival, Georgia Tech?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

T_E, no need to stir up mentally challenged. I've already got one on the hook.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Georgia Tech being our "arch rival".

Gimme a break. Get in line behind Florida and Auburn.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm new to the board and have been a life long Skins fan. I live in Colorado and I saw Chase Daniels quite a bit in his college career. Also saw Brennan as well. I don't get to see many preseason games out here but I did catch the Pitt game. Maybe somebody can explain to me why Collins is "locked" in as the #2 QB and that Brennan and Daniels are competing for the last spot. If memory serves me correctly Collins was here b/c he was familiar with the offensive system brought in. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I think Brennan and Daniels have far more upside than Collins and are much cheaper (assuming there) so why not let Collins go (via trade or whatever) and keep the kids? I'm telling you right now Chase is a PLAYER! He will get a shot in this league and he'll be a PLAYER. The guy just wins. All the critics say oh he's too this or he's too that but all he does is win. Brennan is also a great talent. Like I said, both have more upside so why in the world are we keeping Collins?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 23, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I've got one of the roster cuts right now - M.HAGENS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 23, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, both have more upside so why in the world are we keeping Collins?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 23, 2009 7:06 PM

Because he played 4 good games and so he MUST be the savior. I'm with you, there's a reason he's a life long backup.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"Listen, Old Truth, you've just posted that you haven't even watched either preseason game so I'm not sure you're opinion here is valid. How many reg. season games did you watch last year? Also, if you plugged Campbell into the Steelers' offense (much as I hate to say it) he'd be a star. He isn't at Big Ben's level yet, but he has the potential to be very good now that he's able to stick with the same offense and may (key word being may) get some decent WR and OL play like Roethlisberger has enjoyed. Having a great defense wouldn't hurt either, and I think the Skins will have that, too.

Posted by: TheNewTruth "

What will you say this year after Campbell has the same average stats?

What do you watch when Jason Campbell is playing? He's awful. He's always been awful. I like him and thought he would be a franchise QB, but he's far, far from it. I hope I'm wrong and he turns to Tom Brady, but sadly I'll be right once again.

It IS hard being right all the time, don't let anyone tell you different.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep the personal attacks of this football blog please ! So immature for a grumpy guy's making personal attacks during preseason. Leave that's nonsense for the off season Jerk. " AKA "frak" "

You can watch plenty of skins highlights by going here.http://www.youtube.com/user/opinionguy2011

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Definitely agree with pokerface. Although I think Brennan would be the odd man out, he is a second year player and Chase is a rookie, so I wouldn't mind us letting Collins go.

I think the reason we're keeping him right now is his contract. I can't remember if this is his last year or if next year is his last year, but he's getting like 2 mil, so cutting him would be dead cap space. We'll have to let one of our 4 QB's go, though, and that sucks.

Three guys I wanna see make the team this year are Chase, Marko, and Marcus Mason.

And Leigh Torrence.

And someone cut the Truth imposter. He's awful.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

1st 5 cuts: M. Hagans, A. Aldridge, L. Holmes, D. Young, and JD Skolnitsky.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda known you we're some bitter backroom truck stop tranny.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Such evil these latent homosexual hics aspew..The horn-snared demons and their ancillary goats, the heinous anus assaults..Go Thou, Wench, and Wield Thou Truncheon For Peace, As An Arjuna..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

frak you can go here for the interview.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Truth11, If Campbell's stats are the same this year, I'd say the Redskins should and will reevaluate Campbell. I'm just saying, I think he will improve quite a lot, and as a 3rd year starter he deserves that opportunity. I belive that despite a vicious schedule the Redskins can win 10 games behind Campbell if the line plays the way they did last might. Make the playoffs, then who knows? But, if Campbell fails it won't be entirely his fault.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Codd Tollins got a 2 year deal after trying the free agent market without even a sniff.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

And Leigh Torrence.

And someone cut the Truth imposter. He's awful.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 7:13 PM |

Old Truth, FYI, the RI regulars seemed relieved when they realized I was not you. I make no attempt to pretend to be you. Also, Torrence will have a hard time making cuts since he's not here, so I hope that was a joke, although I liked Torrence as a player, and wish we had him instead of Tryon. Also, The NEW truth has forgotten more about colege football than you'll ever know.

TheNewTruth = TNT
TheOldTruth = TOT

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Frak is a minced oath version of "fu*k" first used (with the spelling "frack") in the original Battlestar Galactica series. In the "re-imagined" version it appears with greater frequency and with the revised spelling "frak", as the producers wanted to make it a four-letter word.

Let me get this straight, you're a sci fi geek that uses gangster slang when you're typing. "You is" got no credibility.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Darn Frak, my cover is blown. I'm gonna come clean...

I am ....actually,....Dick Cheney..... wait, let me turn down the WATER, it's so noisy, ok, where were we, yeah, this is Dick

This was a psyop operation, I know, I can't hide it anymore, I was trying to cover up for my pal, Danny Snider

Now tell me who are your sources? I'm gonna turn up that WATER now....

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

TNT, the Leigh Torrence reference is a long standing joke here at RI.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I figured as much.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

TOT (TT11)

Agree on Marko and Chase, not so sure on Mason

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes, obviously the Torrence remark was a joke. Ugh.

As for this year, obviously Campbell will get this entire year and I got no problem with that. We're stuck in a situation where we'd look foolish to try to let someone else play.

Should someone else start over Campbell this year? No.

Will Campbell suck, again, this year? Yes.

We're stuck in this situation, but it is what it is.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Frak went up
Frak came down

Frak over there
Frak over here

Frak Frak everywhere

I don't like that Frak with ham
I don't like it, Colt I am

Frak Goes up
Frak blows up

Frak Frak Everywhere

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

**crickets, crickets***

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:22 PM

LOL

Here's a clip of CHASE right after the game.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Should someone else start over Campbell this year? No.

Will Campbell suck, again, this year? Yes.

We're stuck in this situation, but it is what it is.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 7:28 PM

---------------------------------

TOT, why do you think JC will suck. Maybe he'll manage to win a few on his own, keep it real for the defense to win a few, and do enough to pull through another few. Let's say 10 wins?

What's going to happen if root for him to succeed? You think the gullible-police will put us in jail?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, JC gave us quite a few shots at winning last year that our 4th ranked defense managed to give back to the other team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 6:45 PM

++++++++

My wife makes fun of me all the time... to my face. She even checked my out going texts yesterday to see if I texted CSN to win a free TV. And then laughed at me when her assumptions were correct.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

The GOOD...

- Our young receivers. I REALLY like Marko Mitchell.
- O-line looks pretty good in pass protection
- Orakpo has the potential to be a BEAST!
- Daniel played well
- No major injuries

The BAD...
- JC very rarely looks comfortable. He seems to have the tools to play the position but lacks "IT"...
- I'm worried about the secondary.
- JC's numbers so far

The UGLY
- Starters can't get into the end zone
- Colt Brennan

Posted by: rickyroge | August 23, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

LOL Dorf...just abide

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the answer to this...how strong is Chase Damiel's arm? I know Colt's isn't supposed to be that strong.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I was actually able to watch the game last night. Which is good because if I hadn't, after reading the Post, I would've thought we had lost. On a different note, Does Zorn's endorsement of JC remind any one of a certain Wizards coach praising Jordan after he went 1-19 (or something like that)?

Posted by: jandlml | August 23, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

..and how strong is Chase Daniel's arm too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Dude cut it out with your stupid link. Go play in traffic.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 23, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Marty eat lunch for dinner !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the replay of the Bears-'Ginas game and Cutler sure does look good...and the 'Ginas defense looks bad. I was against the Cutler foray but he looks good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Redskins 17-Steelers 13 2nd preseason game ------>

Fan Nations says: Fire JC!!!

Maybe JC is not the second coming of Joe Montana, but he is solid and won 8 games last year. Could have won 11 if the defense could actually stop a drive at the END of those game...

Let's fire JC, let's fire JC (says the Fan Nation)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how long CHASE arms are. Height shouldn't really matter if his arms makes up the difference. Right ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

"Ginas"

that's hilarious scampbell1975

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975 (aka peaceful2008, Hire Marty S,etc.-they must use this as a psyops training board),
Eat this-

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Scamp...i have been very quiet through out training camp and most of the off season because of the blasting i took for saying JC was not the answer and asking how much more time do we give him? and also because i thought they definitely should get Cutler. You know I was definitely supporting a trade for Cutler.

I have noticed many on here are starting to change their minds and saying the same things about JC I was saying while the Cutler thing was happening. I will say now what I said then. Not saying Cutler was the answer...but i still stand to say I don't think JC is either. i sure hope JC can step up but I'm not too confident.

Posted by: leevi98 | August 23, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Can't take credit for that one. Someone brought it on here the other day from an Iggles blog. It is much better than the Gints though, so I keep using it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

You may indeed turn out to be right leevi...that's the thing about opinions, they're someone's unproven fact. I hope you're wrong about JC but the evidence is sure beginning to mount in the other direction. I still say he did a fairly good job last year all things considered and although I am a little worried so far, he hasn't even played what amounts to a full game yet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Let it go frak...

I haven't been up here in a while but I remember scamb from back in the day.

Where is Nate to keep the peace?

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

But that scamp guys a real SJK

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

tsk, tsk, tsk

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Base Resistance Manifesto: Version-2.0

Boo boo here, boo boo there
Booing JC everywhere

I don't like this dark QB
I don't like him, let me be

I don't like his throws to Moss
I don't like him with Davis

I don't like him when he runs
I don't like him when he stops

I don't like him going deep
I don't like it when he keeps

Redskins need a new QB
I eat breakfast while I pee

Boo boo here, boo boo there
Booing JC everywhere

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

OKAY WEBMEISTER IS ONLINE, JUST GOT CENSORED, ALL THOSE OBNOXIOUS COMMENTS FROM SCAMPBELL(&%$^#@), PEACE2008, HIRE MARTY, ETC. ARE POST-SANCTIONED AND PROBABLY LOSER WRITERS ON STAFF..**** YUZ...

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Gina's might lose Jay Alford
Posted by Mike Florio on August 23, 2009 7:57 PM ET
As we've previously said, probably more than a few times, the top priority for the preseason is to emerge from the four games (five for the teams tapped to play in Canton) with minimal injuries.

The Giants picked up a potentially significant one on Saturday night, with defensive tackle Jay Alford reportedly suffering a torn MCL and a partially torn ACL.

NFC East teams losing key players... hope we can continue to dodge these bullets. Lord knows we caught enough of 'em over the last couple of years.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

tsk, tsk, tsk

Posted by: scampbell1975

whatta pompous putz..why human's lifespans are finite- so a**holes can be replaced..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I am Dick Chainy, now throw me the keys!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

You still at it Frak? Dude, check your blood pressure. You're long forgotten.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Human life expectancy will rise in the next year. I wonder what the life expectancy is for "DOOSH" BAGS" like FRAK is.

Here goes a copy of the report.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the vaunted Giants defense is having some issues these days:

Posted by: elfreako | August 23, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Ginas and Cowdungs are not going to be a problem for the Skins this year. I am just worried about the Iggles, with Vick in Wildcat formation, darn!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

You still at it Frak? Dude, check your blood pressure. You're long forgotten.

Posted by: scampbell1975

I've got ENTIRE STADIUMS OF A**HOLES shouting my name, WORLDWIDE ...and Peyton Manning..among others..Ye Punke Raff been round a block or two..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

peaceful2008, what the hell makes you so high on Campbell?

You're flat out delusional if you aren't nervous from his play so far. Not just from the preseason appearances, but everything he's shown since he took over the last 7 games in '06.

The main problem Campbell has shown his entire career is, at times, his lack of poise in the pocket and accuracy on his throws. And when I say throws, I'm talking about throws where he has to hit his receivers at an angle, and deep passes.

Now of course the offensive line at times haven't gave him the protection that he needs, but at times I've seen Campbell with adequate time to get rid of the ball and simply just hold too long.

But on the flip side to that, it could be the receivers not getting enough separation from defenders. But this is the NFL, sometimes you have to say "F it" and give your receiver a chance to make a play on the ball.

While I'm not sold on Campbell, I do believe he gives the 'skins the best chance at winning in 2009.

I like what I saw from Chase, but it was against third stringers. And those snaps he took last night, I believe, were the first he ever took in an NFL game. Chase should get heavy work against New England and Jacksonville.

Colt looked horrible last night and for all the clamoring for him to play last year, his throwing motion is a concern. How can he have any accuracy at the NFL level with his throwing mechanics?

And don't get me started on Collins. My opinion on him can be summed up in two words: Career Backup

Not sold on Campbell, but I'd rather see him in there than Collins, Brennan, and at this point, Daniel. I say at this point because I think Chase can be a player in the NFL.

Just like I said about Marcus Mason -- last year.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 23, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 8:52 PM |

I think what you meant is that you smell like a whole stadium of a**holes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Just like I said about Marcus Mason -- last year.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 23, 2009 8:58 PM |

I was on the Cartwright over Mason boat last year. Now I'm on the Mason over Betts boat.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975 is either the webmeister or a writer on the post with power over the webmeister..I'm the Last Street Alien, Hal, don't spew you're retreaded journalism over on me..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you're tired and played out. You no longer amuse me. Later...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

So our one big bright spot from the game is Chase Daniel. But he's what, 5'6"? (Listed as 6'0" by the Redskins.)

Before I get all excited about little Chase, let's ponder a big question: does a short QB have a chance in the NFL?

Here's some data on the NFL's best QB's. The top ten, in the estimation of one fantasy ranking I found, average 6'3":

IND Peyton Manning 6'5"
PIT Ben Roethlisberger 6'5"
SD Philip Rivers 6'5"
CIN Carson Palmer 6'5"
NE Tom Brady 6'4"
TEN Vince Young 6'4"
STL Marc Bulger 6'3"
MIN Brett Favre 6'2"
PHL Michael Vick 6'0"
NO Drew Brees 6'0"
=================================
Average 6’3"

Hmm. Not so good. But there's Drew Brees (and Michael Vick, FWIW).

The most famous good short quarterback in recent NFL history:

Doug Flutie 5’9”

Not bad!

Going back further:

Fran Tarkenton 6’0”

Even better!

The most celebrated Redskin QBs:

Joe Theismann 6’0”

Sonny Jurgensen 5’11”

Billy Kilmer 6’0”

Eddie LeBaron 5’9”

Sammy Baugh 6’2”

Wow, from a Skins perspective, Chase fits in nicely. . . .

So, for now, let 'er rip:

Chase Daniel!!!

Stats from pro-football-reference.com

Posted by: farstriker | August 23, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I suggest Six Flags for your amusement jones..But you're already an arm of that..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Chase is listed at 6ft, but he's 5'6.

This is what the scouts say here the video.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The War On The People Of Washington, D.C. Continues..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young? Who's fantasy was that?

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

List might have been from 2007, back when people thought he had an upside.

Dorf, you teaching again this year now that you're back in VA?

Posted by: farstriker | August 23, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Chase is listed at 6ft, but he's 5'6.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 9:24 PM

The tell was the picture in the paper of Dan Snyder congratulating him after the game. Snyder was only two inches shorter than Chase, so 5'6" is actually generous. Probably 5'4".

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm a "JC Hater". I had my eyes open on Saturday and saw a Quarterback who had all the time in the world underthrow, overthrow, and do nothing to show he is the real deal. He completed one pass. One pass. If we are just going to pay him to hand off the ball, we can do that with Todd Collins, Chase Daniel, and Colt Hasbeen.

I'm not sensing that Campbell wants this job bad enough. Perhaps he's showing us why the FO doesn't think so either.

Posted by: laserwizard | August 23, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

TE: don't forget, Snyder wears lifts. He stands 5'9" in his special footwear.

Posted by: farstriker | August 23, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I know!! Let's have Campbell at QB on the Skins side of the 50, and then Daniel at QB on the opponents side of the 50!! It'll be a lesson in selfless teamwork and humility for everybody!! Ruff,Ruff!!!

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

No... thought it best to just focus on my own schooling. Driving transit buses while I take classes.

Wouldn't be fare to the kiddies to have me doing my homework during my planning time again.

So I'll be BMGO a little bit more.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

JC's underperformance is obviously part of the plan to fly under the radar until the games count, catch the Giants sleeping (sleeping Giants?) in the season opener and to prolong the quarterback controversy for the feint that it is.

That said, Zorn is still a fraud.

Posted by: Xlnt | August 23, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

BTW... love that Intel commercial where the Indian dude who invented the USB is being rock star worshipped.

Wonder what Diddy thinks of it.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

"OK Campbell haters, here are some stats:

QB1 QB2
Comp% 59.9 62.3
TD's 17 13
INT 15 6
Yds 3301 3245
Rating 80.1 84.3
Sacked 46 38

Posted by: TheNewTruth"

First, change your name. You're a disgrace.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 23, 2009 6:54 PM | Report

I guess this means that Big Ben is OVER-RATED..Go figure

Posted by: scottmando | August 23, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

To the NEWTRUTH,
JC pads his stats outside the red zone. When the field gets compressed inside the red zone (DBs and LBs next to each other) JC cant get it done.. Look at the stats. JC has a slow release and needs the WRs to get separation.. Thats why his red zone sux..WRs cant get the separation and JC has to eat it, since he has a VERY SLOW RELEASE... and ergo all the FGs the Skins attempt inside the 20.
Also, why the Skins scored less points than the 0-16 Lions last year..
You can make Stats look comparable if you dont discuss points scored and performance inside the red Zone. I'd take big ben anyday over JC. In fact, I'd take Chase, right now.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"OK Campbell haters, here are some stats:

QB1 QB2
Comp% 59.9 62.3
TD's 17 13
INT 15 6
Yds 3301 3245
Rating 80.1 84.3
Sacked 46 38

Posted by: TheNewTruth"

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 23, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Snyder wears lifts. He stands 5'9" in his special footwear.

Posted by: farstriker | August 23, 2009 9:44 PM

He doesn't wear lifts, but his wife does. I was walking my dog outside the French Ambassador's home one night and his limo pulled up and let them out for a charity event. He was no taller than ChRiS LarRy, but his wife was much taller than he.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if we're lucky HIRE_MARTY_S will put up a link to it.

Posted by: farstriker | August 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"That said, Zorn is still a fraud.

Posted by: Xlnt"

Zorn has been under the jaded, scoragenous eye ever since he made the unfortunate political choice of hanging out with the Evil Chimp ...His inoculated TV media presence renders him as a discardable nice guy, very possibly doomed to Herr Snyder's deeper machinations , geared towards hiring the ripe crop of former coaches available for 2010..Zorn, prove us skeptical jerks wrong, please..(nothing worse or better than a 5-hour long Yankees-Red Sox game)..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

From up there, we all must look like Chris Larry.

So is JLC dead to us? I don't know how to address this awkward regime change.

My wife just called me Bloggy McBloggerson.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 9:36 PM

Here's the video of them after the game !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

JR points out that Daniel "outperformed" both Collins and Colt. Well guess what, all three outperformed our no-matter-how-bad-I-do starter, JC. How refreshing to see a QB who"s confident, decisive, accurate, and - get this - actually puts points on the board. If Zorn continues his stubborn rationalization for an offense that can't get out of it's own shadow, he will be gone by midseason.

Posted by: bones21 | August 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | August 23, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Just so i have this str8.the o-line that everyone on this blog spent all offseason complaining about has looked pretty good and so far no one has given them the credit that they deserve,but has decided to move on and just start complaining about something else???

lets just all chill it was a preseason game in a rain storm(at least while JCambell was playing)and lets not forget that 50 yard bombs aren't exactly high percentage plays.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | August 23, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

lets not forget that 50 yard bombs aren't exactly high percentage plays.

Posted by: jumbo5383

You're right, they aren't.

But throws when you have to hit your receivers on angles are. It doesn't have to be a specific type throw like an out route, curl, or slant. But a throw in which the receiver has to take an angle on the defender to get separation, which could be any type of throw.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 23, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

lets not forget that 50 yard bombs aren't exactly high percentage plays.

Posted by: jumbo5383

Thank you for helping me make my point.

Posted by: bones21 | August 23, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

jumbo5383,

"Just so i have this str8.the o-line that everyone on this blog spent all offseason complaining about has looked pretty good and so far no one has given them the credit that they deserve..."

4sho! It's been evident for a long time that we have a decent, but injury prone, offensive line. The ones who complain about our O-line play always neglect how well the block for Clinton.

In about a 8-9 month long hindsight review, I've concluded that it was never about how poor our O-line blocks for JC17. It's about adolescent rebelling against the Man. C'mon jumbo, haven't you ever noticed that the one's complaining about our O-line are the same one's who always volunteer their liberal agendas?

Posted by: Vicc | August 23, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

peaceful2008,

Great posts throughout the day on all threads.

Keep it up.

Posted by: Vicc | August 23, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I think the in depth post game analysis by the hamsters up here have given the o line their dues. I wasn't around for the off season criticism, but you gotta know that until we get another ring, no one will be happy.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Count me among what is probably a shrinking minority up here who have been Campbell believers all along -- that he's not the problem, that he's got all the tools, that he'll figure it out, that anyone-but-him will mean starting over and all the pain that entails -- and aren't going to give up hope in him now after two underwhelming preseason outings.

Come on now, Jason, prove me right.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 23, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a 14 minute cigarette break; that's impressive.

I love it when it's peaceful and quite on RI

Posted by: Vicc | August 23, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

So, Vicc's on the "Untouchable Campbell" Bandwagon..touching..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

lol@dorf wife laughing at him...aahhh yes, the hamsters are back...

nate, if it weren't for you, we'd be 2 years in to the new QB and working on benching him.

but man, i don't know why you don't see it, the fact that he just doesn't have it. to me it's as clear as day. what do you make of denver picking *crying* kyle orton, friggin kyle orton over jc17? c'mon! joe gibbs didn't even believe in him and he gave up 2 first rounders for him.

the reason i'm so amazed that you don't see it is cuz well you know...i thought you were smart...:)

anyways...ermmmmmmm...yes, i'm sorta with you that if not jc17 then who from the current batch. for that i have no answer. they all looked like poo poo against the ravens. so...dunno. guess we're gonna have to wait till next year.

Posted by: dealer1 | August 24, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

ohh yeah and another thing...our friggin o-line has been awesome! i am friggin shocked at how well they're playing together. it's like dockery never left.

gosh...o-line playing well, d-line playing well...and cP looked really good. i hope he doesn't play anymore until the season starts. rest that horse cuz that's your offense right there...

Posted by: dealer1 | August 24, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

alright gonna go watch true blood...missed the east coast version...dvr didn't record...

Posted by: dealer1 | August 24, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

dealer, I don't know what to say... I'm probably working myself into an indefensible position here. The O line looks good, and I think we can finally say we've got some new little weapons to complement Moss and Cooley down the field. And Zorn's offense and play calling can only be better in year two. (I'm not worried about our Clintastic running game, not one little bit.)

So Soup needs to take care of business come the regular season. The believers, like me, aren't going to wait forever.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 24, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

One of five players in the NFL we're not allowed to hate:

Jason Campbell:

Good lord, this guy has been screwed over the last couple months. Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato did everything in their power to let Campbell know he's unappreciated and unwanted. They tried to trade for Jay Cutler, they tried to trade for Mark Sanchez, and there are rumors that if Campbell falters at all this year, Colt Brennan will be brought in. Yet through it all, Campbell has shown remarkable maturity few players in the league would in similar situations. Hell, if Cutler so much as finds out his team's G.M. so much as looks at another quarterback, he's gonna fold his arms, have himself a good pout, then have Bus Cook calling ESPN saying he wants to be traded within the hour. Granted, Campbell is not the greatest quarterback in the world, but he's not the liability he's being made out to be by his own team, and he certainly gives you a better chance to win than Mark Sanchez. So, however you feel about the Redskins (barf), it'd be great to see Campbell lead the team to an 11-5 record and a playoff win if for no other reason than just to make Snyder and Cerrato look like idiots for probably the 300th time just that week.

Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2009 11:49 AM ET

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Next pre-season game is on national TV.

Hip hip hooray!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 9:36 PM

Here's the video of them after the game !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 10:09 PM

Snyder: Congratulations!
Daniel: Thanks, Boss! Hey, you're almost tall as me.. Have you played quarterback?
Snyder: No, I can't throw.
Daniel: Aww, too bad!
Snyder: You're fired.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 24, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts from the game:

-- Chase Daniel looked pretty good. The Skins haven't had mobility like that at QB, maybe ever. Dude looks like he's got the moxie and the intangibles to be a good QB IN THE LONG RUN. I won't be one of the lunatics looking to unseat JC with an undrafted rookie, but I will say that with some work, he could be Doug Flutie 2.0.

-- Marko Mitchell WILL make this roster. If he can do at WR what Chris Horton did at safety last year, one of the Skins biggest weaknesses could actually become a strength.

-- I'm not freaking out about JC's performance at all...it's the regular season games that count. I've seen All-Pros struggle in the preseason and turn it on like a light come Week 1. Not saying JC is an All-Pro, but I think he'll still be good.

That's all I noticed from the bits and pieces of the game Saturday, but I'll be watching it in its entirety today at 4 on NFLN.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

beep beep, good morning and welcome back, dorf!!!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 24, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Don't let Zorn teach Chase Daniel how to be a quarterback. It will mess up Chase's game and be like Campbell.

Posted by: thorhero | August 24, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Whether we are right or wrong about Campbell, one thing I can promise you is true is that Zorn and Campbell are both on a short leash. If Zorn has taken the approach that Campbell is his man no matter what then that decision might end up being his path to unemployment. I would think that if we struggle over the 1st few games and this offense is very average or below, Zorn better be ready to make a change or he will probably be the one being changed. We all know how patient "The Dan" is.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | August 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Chase is under 6ft right ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 6:50 PM

Right. And so is Dan Snyder.

...........and so is Super Bowl Champ Joe T.

Posted by: Ireland2 | August 24, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse