Daniel Snyder on George Steinbrenner's death

The fraternity of sports owners isn't a very large one, and it's not uncommon for owners in different sports to cross paths. So it's not surprising that George Steinbrenner's death today touched many in the sports world, including Redskins' owner Daniel Snyder.

In a prepared statement, Snyder said: "I am sorry to hear of the passing of George Steinbrenner. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he was able to accomplish, both in business and professional sports. He was very warm and gracious to me, personally writing numerous encouraging letters supporting my ownership of the Washington Redskins. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

By Washington Post editors  |  July 13, 2010; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Draft joins government reading initiative
Next: Video: Jason Reid on Mike Williams's health

Comments

I always thought there were a lot of similarities between Snyder and Steinbrenner. Hopefully, Snyder will replicate his success. I'm not a big baseball fan, but truly Steinbrenner's passing marks the end of an era.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Steinbrenner went though MANY coacheing changes over his career as owner similiar to good ole Synder boy, hopefully Shannahan is our Joe Torre and can get us 4 rings.......haha wishful thinking right? RIP George "The Boss" Steinbrenner

Posted by: ludlam33 | July 13, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

What similarities are you thinking of?

Lets see we arent a dominant team, we havent won any championchips, no league garned respect for raising its own talent mixing well with Free agents, we haven't done anything cutting edge like when steinbrenner started the YES network and made billions off of it, we dont have a win or leave mentality

Oh wait you mean just the spend spend spend attitude..i see what you mean, they are so alike

Posted by: skinball77 | July 13, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey $nyder,

Do us all a favor, fly into the sunset in your helicopter, after you sell the team.

Posted by: hessone | July 13, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Steinbrenner's experience should be a lesson for recovering from initial mismanagement as a new owner. I thought that he would be around longer for some reason...he didn't seem 80 years old.
The Danny had his ballz smacked for flawed strategic management, perhaps steinbrenner's passing is something that will cause the the Danny to look at himself and his legacy with more clarity.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | July 13, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I used to have a poster of Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison drinking at Heaven's Bar, and Kurt Cobain walks through the door..Now Steinbrenner can get drunk with Billy Martin and Tuli Kupferberg (Tuli might try to kill George a second time, though...Billy too!!)...He absolutely OWNED the Orioles..Thats probably how D'Agostino (or whatever that greek dude's name is) stays afloat, being the Yankees' designated b*tch...

Posted by: frak | July 13, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

skinball77, you need to understand the history of the Stinebrenner era, from 1980 to 1991 the Yankees spent a lot of money on high-priced free agents and traded away prospects. Stinebrenner was tough on young players and constantly got in the way of his managers and coaches much like Danny has been doing for the last decade. It took Stinebrenner getting suspended twice and someone else (Gene Michael) to run the Yankees and helped to build the team that you see now.
As bad of an NFL owner Danny has been, he could be a great MLB ower because of how MLB is structured. No Salary cap, lose FA rules, etc.

Posted by: mudd94 | July 13, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

There's a difference between the two......

George had an eye for talent n the ability to get them to produce

Dan gets expired talent.

If both were in talks George would sucker Dan into a classic Synding (synder signing) then george would laugh when Dan left the room....

Classic....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

What similarities are you thinking of?

Posted by: skinball77 | July 13, 2010 1:21 PM
------------------------------------------
Steinbrenner, in his early days, was way too hands on with his teams. I think Snyder has suffered from the same malady. Your snide remarks aside; yes, they both would spend what they could to get the best players out there even if it sometimes meant overpaying for someone past their prime.

I am not a Snyder hater. I have been frustrated with him from time to time. I mean, I was really frustrated with him last year with the whole Zorn - Cerrato experiment. Like Steinbrenner, I think it took Snyder a while to figure it out. I think he now realizes there are wiser football people than he that can make the right decisions for the team. As a fan, what should we hate about an owner who is willing to open his wallet to get the best coaches and players? If he just stops trying to run the team, I think we have a winning formula of seasoned & disciplined coach, value-driven general manager, and deep-pockets owner. I'm willing to put last season behind me and look ahead. Are the rest of you guys?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 13, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"He was very warm and gracious to me, personally writing numerous encouraging letters supporting my ownership of the Washington Redskins."

I'll bet he sent the same to Peter Angelos and Al Davis, since the trio has consistently kept him out of The Worst Owner in sports debate for the last decade.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | July 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post... move along... move along...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 13, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

George played and coached college football.

A lot of people don't know that George Steinbrenner coached college football alongside iconic Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes and was actually part of a staff that won a national championship.

Google George Steinbrenner and Woody Hayes and you'll find some articles about it. A buddy just pointed it out to me this morning.

Posted by: eastwood816 | July 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate the Yankees, I gotta admit that Steinbrenner made baseball fun. I hope, when all is said and done, that Snyder is as good for the Skins as Steinbrenner was for the Yankees. I like Snyder. He has done some stupid stuff but I believe that the guy wants to win.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

brandon_in_cali, you did not grow up or pay attention to those teams of the 80s, Steinbrenner also traded away talent back then too.

"In the '80s, the Yankees imploded. Steinbrenner bought talent -- after the 1980 season, he made Dave Winfield the richest man in sports with a 10-year, $23 million deal -- and traded away promising prospects such as Jose Rijo, Willie McGee and Fred McGriff. The Yankees had the best cumulative regular-season record in baseball during the decade with only the '81 Series loss to show for it.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/alex_belth/07/13/steinbrenner.obit/1.html#ixzz0tajKFGcr
"

In fact, the Yankees hit a low where they finished in last place in the AL EAST with 21 games below .500. It took him getting suspended again for hiring someone to spy on Dave Winfield in order to have Gene Michaels rebuild the Yankees into what you see today.

Your "Eye for Talent" does not make sense in this context, he thought that if you get high priced FAs over young players you should be able to win. Other team with younger talent in that period, Royals, Tigers, Twins and so on built their teams with younger talent.

Posted by: mudd94 | July 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Here's a ?????

Will EA update rosters to add brown??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Steinbrenner Junior thinks?

Posted by: 3rdGenRFan | July 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Mudd, my eye for talent has shown me that my point went way over your head.

I was saying that's george brought in people ( buying his chamiponships, not the 80 when I was a young'n, I mean these last 2 decadeds, you know when they've been winnging)

A rod, cc, swisher of recent

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | July 13, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh please. Shut up Snyder. You wish you were half the owner Steinbrenner was you little...

Posted by: dbunkr | July 13, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight, $nyder owns the Redskins, but he has given up control and decision making. And don't give me that,"only the football side of the business." The business is football, and anyone who thinks $nyder is not engaged on that side of the ball might be in denial. After all, he does own the team. And any business owner is going to be hands on.
Let's just hope that $nyder is getting better advice and makes better decisions. One word of advice from hessone, don't trade draft picks! Build through the draft. When you're on the verge, add the FA or two you need and, presto!

Posted by: hessone | July 13, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Steinbrenner Rest in Peace, but let's be honest !!!
He was a convicted felon for illegal contributions to Nixon's campaign. He had way too many ridiculous public battles with the record number of Managers he hired, then fired. He was the walking talking poster child for the group of owners that SHOULD hire good people and let them do their jobs. He was one of the catalysts in the metamorphosis of the MLB into the poorly run Crap show it is today. My only regret was that he didn't grab Peter Angelos by the hand and take him along ...

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | July 13, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Steinbrenner Rest in Peace, but let's be honest !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | July 13, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse