Daniels Expects to Be Ready Sunday

For the second day in a row, defensive end Phillip Daniels was limited in practice, nursing a torn biceps suffered last week against Carolina. But Daniels said he still expects to be ready to play on Sunday against the Kansas City.

"Feeling pretty good," Daniels said after today's practice. "There's not a lot of pain there. Maybe a little bit that I have to get over. But other than that, I'm going to be fine."

Daniels said Monday that an MRI revealed the tear. Doctors said it'd require surgery but Daniels opted to continue to play, postponing the surgery.

Speaking on behalf of defensive coordinator Greg Blache, secondary coach Jerry Gray also said Daniels, who said he hopes to practice Friday, is expected to play, but he might not be on the field as much as usual.

"The thing we got to do is see what he actually gives us," Gray said. "The good thing is, Kansas City may actually give to us better because they give us a chance to play [against] three wide receivers, where he's not in any way. So that helps a lot."

The Chiefs have started four different wide receivers this year and aren't scared to run three at a time. Against three receivers, depending on the situation, the Redskins would use the extra body in the secondary - either a cornerback, such as Justin Tryon covering the slot, or a third safety.

By Rick Maese  |  October 15, 2009; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' Defense Prepares to Step Up Again
Next: Zorn Says Public Statement Isn't Needed

Comments

For you folks who live in the DC area, can you put something like this together? :

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 15, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

the Chiefs have really struggled with the run, so we should be OK with or without Daniels.

With vets Griff and Daniels hurting, let Alexander and Jarmon get reps.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Injry bug has been working overtime

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

sween, I imagine mrs. sween must be thrilled at the news. Have a terrific Sunday morning and afternoon with the kids, dear!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 15, 2009 2:46 PM

She's not that into the "Season Starts Now" game, Home Edition, either.

Posted by: dcsween | October 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

great interview with Tre Johnson

this is far worse than I ever thought.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | October 15, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Would you like to fly.... in my beautiful balloon??

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

He's going to be in more than he thinks -- they're starting him at right guard.

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | October 15, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

this is far worse than I ever thought.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | October 15, 2009 3:09 PM

Not really. I just read it and it seemed down the road.

Snyder doesn't go into locker rooms anymore during halftime. That was 9 years ago. And SPurrier was SPurrier.

Dan is Dan. Win and he stays off your back. Lose consistently, he's planning your exit and doing so bluntly while still expecting you to perform. Sounds like my former boss....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

this is far worse than I ever thought.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | October 15, 2009 3:09 PM

Not really. I just read it and it seemed down the road.

Plus...HE said he never had a problem with Snyder and was treated very kindly by him. Being invited to his Hawaii Beach House for the Pro Bowl and such.

I would say, nothing new was learned and what we knew was confirmed. He either loves you or hates you....with passion.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

great interview with Tre Johnson

this is far worse than I ever thought.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1

LOL at Snyder and minority owner Fred Drasner double banking Norv Turner during that infamous Dallas game. I'm guessing Fred was just there to hold Danny on his shoulders so he and Norv could talk face to face.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 15, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

A lot of guys playing hurt, captains sticking up for their coach, a good D, undefeated at home, about to face the Chiefs.

let's turn this season around

byaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 15, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe the League is buying this crap about Blache not speaking b/c of "anxiety attacks." He was fine all the way up until the "another set of eyes" was forced upon Zorn (and during his paid appearances). If he does become the interim coach, is he gonna get the equipment guy to speak for him?

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 15, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Would you like to fly.... in my beautiful balloon??

Posted by: Rypien11

I really hope that you are not making a joke about the 6 year old that is trap in the balloon.

Posted by: jm220 | October 15, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Start hoarding draft picks now! Trade deadline is Tuesday. Blow this mutha up!

Posted by: fzone | October 15, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Had Daniels been making plays this season? Not sure what the Skins D will miss other than toughness and leadership.

I'd rather have young'ins out there forcing fumbles and making sacks. I think Jarmon and C. Wilson can do that.

Posted by: elfreako | October 15, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Does Tom Collins expect to be ready sunday?

Posted by: prescrunk | October 15, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

How effective is Daniels going to be? I applaud the guy's work ethic, but is he going to be a help or a liability?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"I would say, nothing new was learned..."
Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:18 PM

I learned that Steven Spurrier didn't know what sleet was.

Also, that snyder's micromanagement extends not only to personnel/gm issues, to extended Q and A sessions grilling the head coach during game week, and to in game interference.

I was not a fan of norval, but after he left I heard him say a few times it was refreshing to be around 'real football people' yup.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | October 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Im wondering what they should get for Anthony Montgomery vs what Vinny will accept and think he's getting steal. Monty was a 6th rounder? Hes played a good amount for his time here, but not produced anything spectacular. I would say he'd be worth at least a round above what he was taken at (5th?) possibley 2 rounds. But I guess it depends on the current FA/other DTs on the trading block also to determine market value.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 15, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

4th/5th for Monty.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Felling pretty good," Daniels said after today's practice.
by JReid..

I guess he got the "felling" back today.

That "Dog Hearing" of yours needs a tune up JReid...you "fell" me

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

jm, he's not joking, out near brighton, co, kid's about 500 feet up...dont' know how they'll get it down...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

slowly coming down, ambulances are on scene....he's at about 200 feet right now....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

its on the ground....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 15, 2009 3:30 PM

conditional 5/6 rounder.

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

balloon landed softly....

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the football talk? I thought this blog was about Feelings.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 15, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

why is nobody going in to see if the boy's in there..

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

So we're 5 weeks into Debacle '09 ® and lets look at the injury list

Samuels, Daniels, Griff and R Thomas

Anyone surprised at ANY of this?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 15, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

still haven't the kid yet, he's apparently not in there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

How did he get in there by himself?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This would be a pretty spectacular prank if the kid never got in the balloon in the first place... sounds like something the parents would do... kids name is "Falcon", experimental balloon... freakin hippies.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 15, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

So it seems like most people think that if we lose the next 2 then it's Sherm Lewis HC for the duration while Gruden is courted.

What happens if we go 1-1?

Posted by: sfskin | October 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hoping hoping hoping the kid was never in the balloon...did something bad....is hiding in the woods from his pops.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me "Making up top 10 lists" should be added to this.

Posted by: sfskin | October 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

the surprise is Monty, you know what they should get from him is... his tail on the field

If we can keep grif and hayney fresh it would help, the only thing we really got goin' is this D!

although, I'm thinking D Thomas breakout game Sunday

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

if we go 1-1 it will rain frogs

Posted by: joevick | October 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Depends...How do we go 1-1?

If we lose to the Chiefs and Beat the Iggles....Zorn is safe the rest of the season

If it's the opposite...Who knows...

I'm of the mind that Zorn will not be going anywhere until after the season. Especially with soooo many players speaking up.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

[Shaking head]

Apparently his family was recently on the show "Wife Swap"

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | October 15, 2009 3:18 PM

Reminds me of George Michaels' comments last week on how Drasner would've liked to fire Marty in training camp. What do you bet that Drasner tried so of this shti with Marty and Marty told him to STFU and get off his practice field.

Posted by: skinswest | October 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

what if they go 0-0-2, and have two ties??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2009 3:49 PM

Something else to blame the Media for

Faux-News!

'Thank you for watching Faux News coverage of the Story that never was. But we will continue to report on little boys who cry wolf and Hot White Blondes because you just never know....(not to mention the fact we need to fill some space in the 24 Hour Faux News cycle).'

Yes 4-12....I did it again...lol

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing positive to say about the redskins.

So I will change topics and say something positive about another team that spends money like a drunken sailor in a strip club:

GO Yanks!!!!!!!

Like I said, I had nothing positive to say about the redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree if we beat Iggs he's safer but what if we beat them in some kind of hideous replay of our STL game and we win by fluke?

BTW I think the Bills fans and their billboard is ingenious and should be replicated in DC. I'd throw a few bucks in for this. Anyway to get it posted across from Snyder's office?

Posted by: sfskin | October 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

We get it already Jerry Gray is speaking for Greg Blache

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

4th, you can ALWAYS blame 'Faux News', and you'll never get any grief from me.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I am going to violate some people's standards here and talk about the other football.

Did anyone watch the US v. Costa Rica yesterday? Utterly insane finish and I thought proved why fubol is actually a tremendous sport (yes I play it so I recognize my bias).

Posted by: sfskin | October 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | October 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

sfskin,

I was pumped up too...but I am bummed about Davies -- he was caming on strong after his performances against Egypt and Mexico. And Onyewu getting hurt sucks...I am afraid we are gonna get a tough draw in our WC bracket...

Posted by: mattylight | October 15, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | October 15, 2009 3:55 PM

It's pretty good but instead of copying the Bills fans we can rent one of those moving billboards on a flatbed truck. This was we can just have the driver follow Snyder and Vinny throughout the day to get the point across.

Posted by: Moose33 | October 15, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, you funny.

There is always at least something funny to say about the Skins. You've proven that over and over again. Funny is positive.

I learned from someone who worked directly for Danny on the personal side that Danny hated Marty's guts. Despised the very sight of him because he was loud, obnoxious and demanding. It was never going to work out simply because of the personal animus.

Posted by: rgj21 | October 15, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Why not put Jarmon in the starting lineup, activate Wynn, Sit Daniels down and convince him to take over strength training for the team, resign Rob Jackson...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, how does a conservative Republican who originally comes from Pennsylvania but now lives in Florida become a Yankees fan?

All of the Yankees fans are raging liberals, aren't they?

Posted by: rgj21 | October 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

sfskin

"I think the Bills fans and their billboard is ingenious and should be replicated in DC."

Let's see, a bunch of shirtless drunken fans sprayed painted letters on themselves and stood so an it all made out an insult directed at the team.

Suggested redskin fan insults:

a. s-n-y-d-e-r-i-s-a-d-i-c-k

b. a-n-d

b. v-i-n-n-y-s-u-c-k-s-i-t-f-o-r-a-q-u-a-r-t-e-r

So if 90,000 dudes line up in the proper sequence, we can outdo the works of the bills' fans.

That is, if we all have a quarter.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

We get it already Jerry Gray is speaking for Greg Blache

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 15, 2009 3:55 PM

See, this is where The Owner is really messing with peoples' heads ... turns out, Greg Blache is a MASTER ventriloquist ... and Jerry Gray is moving his mouth to a teleprompter. No one outfoxes a fox! Now let's talk offense with the coach ... ownership has its privileges, don't it.

Posted by: dcsween | October 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

...their billboard is ingenious and should be replicated in DC. I'd throw a few bucks in for this. Anyway to get it posted across from Snyder's office?

If you're willing to cut down a few trees, you could put it on a uhaul truck and park it outside his home.

Posted by: daggar | October 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

RGJ21

"...how does a conservative Republican who originally comes from Pennsylvania but now lives in Florida become a Yankees fan?"

I grew up in Northeastern, Pa. about an hour from New York

All my tv sports was Yanks, Giants, and Knicks.

I became a skins in '83 when a friend and I got wasted and drove to Carlsile, PA to watch a skins practice.

At least that's where I think I was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Would you like to fly.... in my beautiful balloon??

Posted by: Rypien11

If you're making a lame joke about a dead kid you're garbage dude.

Posted by: mack1 | October 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"All of the Yankees fans are raging liberals, aren't they?

Posted by: rgj21"

Huh? You have obviously never met a Yankees fan from Staten Island, or Long Island, or a teamster from the Bronx. Or sat in the bleacher seats at Yankee Stadium. Or seen Guliani look all a fool with his all Yankees garb.......

I may be both things...but pretty sure that puts me in the minority of Yankee fans.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"All of the Yankees fans are raging liberals, aren't they?"

Oh they're something allright....something that I'm not putting on here, for fear of getting banned....Moe excluded of course...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

In continuing, up to the minute coverage of Debacle '09 ®, we are reporting that the Redskins have brought in no new offensive lineman again today.

In a related story, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

No exclusion for me BG?

Lets Go Yankees!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

If you're making a lame joke about a dead kid you're garbage dude.

Posted by: mack1 | October 15, 2009 4:11 PM

The kid is dead? I thought he wasn't on the ballon?

Feel me in, please.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 15, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

So we're 5 weeks into Debacle '09 ® and lets look at the injury list

Samuels, Daniels, Griff and R Thomas

Anyone surprised at ANY of this?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 15, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

You are missing Portis (Leg?) and Kelly (Hand)

And didn't someone pull their glutes? oh yeah that was Haynesworth

Posted by: Veretax | October 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

have they said the kid died? I thought he was not in the balloon after all????

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 15, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

If there's no cap in 2010 then what does it matter? He's only around for 1 year. If you sign a decent vet you're stuck with him for multiple years and many of them after the cap comes back.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 15, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

__________________

What you just said here is pretty much insane.

No cap doesn't mean you give one of the worst starters in the league a top 5 salary for a season without blinking. If he's not good, let him go and find someone who is.

He's not going to have trade value and giving him the tag would make absolutely no sense.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll lump you in there too cl...

4th, reports are now that witness's seeing something fall out of the balloon...no one can find the kid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Tre Johnson wins the contest for the best assessment of bringing in an outside consultant:

"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something. It doesn't work"

LOL

Redskins will defeat KC easily this weekend. KC is a horrible, horrible team with virtually no talent.

Posted by: zornskins2 | October 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

He's officially missing 4th. So who knows? He could be fine or something worse. I'm just not seeing the humor in Rypien's "joke."

Posted by: mack1 | October 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

What you just said here is pretty much insane.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Brodie Croyle
Jake Delhomme
Tarvaris Jackson
Jon Kitna
Josh McCown
Matt Moore
Kyle Orton(Will probably be given an offer by Denver)
Chris Redman
Sage Rosenfels
D.J. Shockley
Troy Smith
Brian St. Pierre
Charlie Whitehurst

Draft QB and start a rookie without a decent left or right tackle. Do you want to kill:
Locker
Bradford
McCoy
Claussen

Or do want to take yet another gamble on yet another mediocre QB and get him slightly maimed. You can take a left tackle in the first and possibly get one of these in the second.

Tebow
Snead
Pike

O yeah, that's way better than JC!!! You are the one who is insane. We need a line more than we need a QB. We'll get a QB when we can protect him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 15, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Love Tre Johnson, funny interview....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 15, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Redskin fans attending the game this Sunday....During the Rock and Roll Part II song, please direct your "hey...you suck" at Dan $nyders booth. Spread the word.

Posted by: timchadwick | October 15, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

no no no, they don't have to franchise JC. If 2010 is uncapped, the length of service to qualify for unrestricted FA status goes from 4 to 6 years.
Therefore, they can tender JC an offer (either a 1st round or 3rd round, IIRC), and if anyone else beats the offer, they have to give the skins their pick of that round.
So if you think JC is worth having as a backup, if nothing else, the tender isn't going to be that high -- particularly in an uncapped year. Even if you plan to get rid of him, maybe they tender at a 1st round level, then negotiate a trade for his rights.

Posted by: daggar | October 15, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome. And keep on riding the TC train! I'm sure he appreciates your support.

P.S. is it the pot calling the kettle black to criticize me for using "we" in my replies, saying I should speak for myself, and then using the phrase "I'm not alone in that sentiment" to validate your opinion?

Posted by: mattylight | October 15, 2009 1:54 PM |
---------------------------------------

Not at all. If you're reading these entries close enough to keep an accurate count, then you know others are also calling for that change.

The difference is, I don't use "we" and presume to speak for those - or any other - individuals.

I hope that clarifies things to your satisfaction, "matty."

PS: There is no "TC train." There is, however, a contingent of delusional folk like yourself whom I will henceforth refer to as Campbell Fainters.

And cheer up, with a name like "matty," you're bound to be elected the group's mascot, at the very least.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

redskins will beat KC this week no problem"..you obviously have not watched this team this year I saw KC play the eagles and they could easily win this game. washington has a bad team and KC is bad. as a matter of fact I expect washington to lose, KC is re-building, washington just flat out stinks from top to bottom.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 15, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell Fainters," "Colt Blowers"...

What's the difference. Only an idiot would think that Campbell is this team's problem.

And only a BLITHERING idiot would decides to turn up the "Trade Campbell" heat at THIS PARTICULAR time with NO Offensive Line, a coach that probably wont last another 3 games, a GM who is not, Receivers who can't, and a salary that's capped.

By the way, let's complain about other things that we cant change... Hey, let's get Sean Taylor back while we're at it. Let's play on the West Coast - - Where our Offense is from!

With a name like MrRedskin21, you could be The Vinnie, himself, you tool.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 16, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I'd like to give Todd Collins a shot at the old O for a change. It can't hurt!

I mean, not too much.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 16, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

So, why in the world is Daniels doing this? I sure wouldn't be playing with a detached bicep. Not at 2-3. Not on this team. That's just gross.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 16, 2009 4:37 AM | Report abuse