Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
On Twitter: RedskinsInsider and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Daniels Might Return After All

From Jason Reid:

Just got a phone call from veteran defensive end Phillip Daniels, who said he has reconsidered his position and might accept Washington's minimum contract offer to return next season after speaking with defensive coordinator Greg Blache.

"I'm not saying anything is definite yet, I still have to pray about it and talk with my family, but, yeah, I'm thinking about it now and I wasn't before," Daniels said. "I just got a call from coach Blache, who had a lot to say, and I have nothing but love and respect for that man. We go back a long way, and when someone like that picks up the phone to talk to you, you listen."

Earlier in the day, Daniels expressed frustration about the team's contract proposal, saying he would sign elsewhere or retire unless the Skins increased their offer. Daniels also said he was upset because he had not heard from team officials since he rejected the offer about two weeks ago. But Blache, whom Daniels also played under when they were with Chicago, called Daniels late this afternoon on behalf of the organization.

Blache made it clear to Daniels that "the team still wants me and he knows I can still play this game," said Daniels, 36, who sat out the entire 2008 season because of a knee injury that occurred on the first day of training camp in July.

"He just told me to not let my pride get in the way, and I am coming off a major injury and surgery. He told me to think about how I want to go out. I told him I wanted to play two more years to get to 15 years, and he reminded me it would be good to come back and show everyone how I still get it done out there."

Washington yesterday brought back defensive lineman Renaldo Wynn, a team leader who was released before the start of the 2007 season, which, along with re-signing Daniels, was the plan Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, devised to replace recently released Pro Bowl end Jason Taylor. "When Renaldo called me before he signed, I told him there was no way I was coming back" for a minimum contract, Daniels said. "But coach Blache ... man, he makes you think. If I come back, you can say he's a big part of it. And to also help my teammates reach a Super Bowl, because I think we're real close with getting Albert Haynesworth, those are the main reasons I would do it. It's a lot to think about, but that's what I'm doing now. I'm thinking about it."

By Matthew Rennie  |  March 17, 2009; 6:15 PM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Below-the-Radar Roster Concerns Lurk for Skins
Next: Cerrato: Redskins Not Pursuing Cutler

Comments

Wow some good news?

Posted by: moosepod | March 17, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

These people just have a totally warped since of reality!! While I like Phillip Daniels, is anyone else pissed as hell that he is insulted by his vet minimum salary? What would that vet minimum be, about 800,000 dollars for his years of playing.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | March 17, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"These people just have a totally warped since of reality!! While I like Phillip Daniels, is anyone else pissed as hell that he is insulted by his vet minimum salary? What would that vet minimum be, about 800,000 dollars for his years of playing.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | March 17, 2009"

UNDER THE HEADING of what HE IS NOT SAYING:

Blache perhaps reminding him that he would be getting $400,000 from the previous contract (check out the dead cap numbers).

So, he would indeed be making more than $1,000,000 next year.

Why is he complaining again? 36? Major knee injury? Bad economy?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!! Big trade rumors flying around....Wonder if this has any credit

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140554-jayc-to-dc-3-way-trade-has-5-players-moving-and-2-drafts

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

"But Blache, whom Daniels also played under when they were with Chicago, called Daniels late this afternoon on behalf of the organization."

Some folks at Redskins Park apparently keep abreast of postings on RI.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!! Big trade rumors flying around....Wonder if this has any credit

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140554-jayc-to-dc-3-way-trade-has-5-players-moving-and-2-drafts


Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

**************************

Perhaps I'll eat my words, but I don't see the Skins getting rid of Cooley and/or Landry.

Posted by: suzannepdc | March 17, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!! Big trade rumors flying around....Wonder if this has any credit

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140554-jayc-to-dc-3-way-trade-has-5-players-moving-and-2-drafts


Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

**************************

Perhaps I'll eat my words, but I don't see the Skins getting rid of Cooley and/or Landry.

Posted by: suzannepdc | March 17, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

i agree...i would not want this deal at all...would love to have cutler but not at that price...thats stupid!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"(Satire)

This is unconfirmed."

Doesn't anyone read anymore. Do we need remedial reading courses? Vocabulary help?

I think the article begins with the word ***satire*** in parentheses.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Why do we need cutler? 93 is doing the same "I'm not sure I'm getting the love and warmth I require" act. He's got to be joking. There are no other takers even at minimum salary, unless maybe grilliams has a soft spot. But if it's not enough to leave your family, it's been real.

I don't think him and renaldo will both make the final 53 anyway.

Posted by: AdamCr | March 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it's BS actually

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Geez - I'm at work, just clicked on the link and read it fast!

Posted by: suzannepdc | March 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

And please try not to give Snidely Owl and the Vinnster any big ideas ...

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

From Bleacher Report:

(Satire)

This is unconfirmed.

However, an inside source says a trade will bring Jay Cutler to Washington is almost complete.

The leak came roughly about one hour ago. Negotiations between Cutler’s agent, Pat Bowlen, Daniel Snyder, and the Cleveland Browns management have been ongoing for a few days and all sides seem to be happy.

The deal would see Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, and Cleveland’s third round pick going to Washington.

Jason Campbell and Chris Cooley going to Cleveland and one of Denver’s fifth round picks.

Brady Quinn going from Cleveland to Denver, and LaRon Landry from Washington will be going to Denver. We thought that the Bailey-Portis trade was big.

Our source says that teams will announce the deal at 5 p.m. this evening.
------

I don't think so. I don't think we would give up Cooley and Landry. Cooley is our best offensive weapon and Landry is our best defensive weapon.

Posted by: moosepod | March 17, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

"(Satire)

This is unconfirmed."

Doesn't anyone read anymore. Do we need remedial reading courses? Vocabulary help?

I think the article begins with the word ***satire*** in parentheses.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse


just because that was missed...does not give you the write to call people names and be disrespective to people.....

Jag off!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"when someone like that picks up the phone to talk to you, you listen."

Blache is the man. Funny how he deals with others in the organization and there is a big deal about not feeling wanted and all it takes is one phone call from blache to completely change everything.

Posted by: erleach | March 17, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

This team will have the salary cap space incase of an emergency, they are the best in the buisness at manipulating the salary cap.

Posted by: Flounder21

I'll explain. The proper construction of that sentence is:

"they are the best in the business at being manipulating BY the salary cap."

That's why we let go of both Jason Taylor and Demetric Evans, leaving us with 1 DE. Its why we signed Renaldo Wynn and might sign Philip Daniels. Its why Brandon Lloyd stayed on our roster for 2 years, why Jon Jansen is still on our roster and why we couldn't get the RT from Seattle.

The Spaghetti Gang doesn't use the salary cap, the salary cap uses the Spaghetti Gang.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey leevi98 - I don't recall Per calling you names or being "disrespectful" like you so clearly demonstrated.

Let's face it - you blew it on the posting. Maybe you should get your act together and leave the name calling behind.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

REGARDING UNDER THE RADAR NEEDS THREAD..

Excellent Analysis, you Redskin-hating little toad.

Um actually spot on and a little kind. There are other concerns.

Rocky's durability means all LBs are potential trouble spots.

Carter should benefit immensely from Haynesworth, but has anyone gotten a gander at his skinny legs? Without M. Washington protecting his flanks, he's sweepable.

I'm not sold on DeAngello Hall. The memory of him getting lit up by a denver rookie was burned into my heart.

Rabach is still too light to be effective against nose tackles. He'll benefit from having Dockery, but...

Jason Campbell? If the jury's out on him any longer, I'm calling a mistrial.

Portis' durability? An issue. He has no viable backup.

Re-enforcements. FOUR picks. Give me two starters and I'll rest easier.

Also, how WONDERFUL it would be if at least one of last year's second rounders proved a good receiver.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

"Just because that was missed...does not give you the write to call people names and be disrespective to people.....

Jag off!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009"

Hmmm perhaps reading comprehension is an issue? There was no "name calling" that I could see? Please read articles carefully before posting their link.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I listened earlier to Harry Edwards (sports sociologist -- look him up if you don't know). He felt pro football would be the business hardest hit sport by the recession. His thought was its lots of players, lots of investment into facilities, fewest games to spread the risk.

I'm not agreeing with it, but he's an informed sort -- so I don't dismiss it either.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not sold on DeAngello Hall. The memory of him getting lit up by a denver rookie was burned into my heart."

And thank you for again demonstrating why New England, a team renowned for stockpiling draft picks and cannily using the draft to build their team, jumped all over Shawn Springs.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

just because that was missed...does not give you the write to call people names and be disrespective to people.....

Jag off!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

pssst.....when you said "does not give you the write to call people names" i think you meant "right" not "write".

Posted by: erleach | March 17, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Repost -- since Jasno posted about the 'under the radar' stuff, I'll present the complete view of the what the radar looks like:

Top 30 Skins and will they be here beyond 2 years:

DL
Albert, Yes
Carter, No (overpaid)
Golston, Yes
Griffin, No (age)
Wynn, No
Buszbee or Jackson, No and No

LB
Blades, Yes (borderline)
Fletcher, No (age)
Rocky, Yes

DB
Horton, Yes
Landry, Yes
Hall, Yes
Rogers, Yes
Smoot, No

OL
Jansen, No
Thomas, No
Rabach, Yes
Dockery, Yes
Samuels, Yes (borderline, age)
Heyer, No

TE
Cooley, Yes

QB
Campbell, Yes
Collins, No (age)

RB
Portis, Yes (borderline, age)
Sellers, No

WR
Moss, Yes (borderline, age)
ARE, Yes (borderline)
Thomas, Yes (borderline, hard to tell)

P No
K No


I get:
Yes: 11
Yes: 6 (borderline)
No: 13


Good to see Jasno and Cork both addressing the issue as well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone is talking about Jaromir. What is this,..the Caps Insider???? I'm glad he's off the Caps. His hair was too long and he wasn't very nice. But I suppose someone will think he is better than JC.

Posted by: jgr007 | March 17, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I just want to take this time to link everyone to the best high school in the DMV, in the best city in the DMV.

Can't Hide That Titan Pride...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't say i'm very fond of Greg Blache's Defensive System, but I must say that having Phillip Daniels will be the difference between our defense being average compared to our defense being very good. I feel like if we can draft a guy like Lawrence Sidbury from Richmond which looks to be a very gifted Defensive End and could definitely fall to us in the third round, he could probably take over the starting DE position by about halfway through the year. He's a bit of a project, but has all the physical tools to be a very affective pass rusher (not to mention he said he wanted to play a down lineman position as opposed to a rushing backer). Also, I think it will be most beneficial for the redskins to trade their first round 13th pick for a later first round and a second or third round. Whichever they can get. The other guy that seems like a very interesting prospect is Cody Brown from UConn. He plays DE but will convert to outside lb and could be a very good fit at the weakside lb allowing McIntosh to eventually move inside. That would give us very affective blitzers on the outside which fits in well into Blache's system since he likes to blitz his lbs on third downs. That would be a better pass rush from the left side, Carter I feel is very solid still, Haynesworth up the middle will give Qbs a nightmare. Now add in a lb that can get after the qb? Sounds like that answers all the questions about Redskins lack of pass rush.

Posted by: pakimonster | March 17, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

leevi I thought you were leaving for good? I really want you to succeed in your pledge!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Are we making fun of leevi because he can't read or because he can't write? I'm down with either one but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Posted by: mack1 | March 17, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

My take on Cork's take:

Rocky's durability means all LBs are potential trouble spots.
>>Agreed, but I think Rocky will be OK

Carter should benefit immensely from Haynesworth, but has anyone gotten a gander at his skinny legs? Without M. Washington protecting his flanks, he's sweepable.
>>Had him gone within 2 years. Carter just isn't very talented, but he works very hard and that's why he has a job ... for now.

I'm not sold on DeAngello Hall. The memory of him getting lit up by a denver rookie was burned into my heart.
>>Hall is a character risk, but he's here whether he lives up to his paycheck or not.

Rabach is still too light to be effective against nose tackles. He'll benefit from having Dockery, but...
>>Rabach has certain matchup problems, but he's still a good center.

Jason Campbell? If the jury's out on him any longer, I'm calling a mistrial.
>>Campbell is a good QB. Sometimes the jury forgets how hard it is to play with a bad OL.

Portis' durability? An issue. He has no viable backup.
>>Agreed, called him borderline in my analysis

Re-enforcements. FOUR picks. Give me two starters and I'll rest easier.
>>2 starters in 4 picks would be a terrific accomplishment. Last year yielded us 1 starter with 10 picks.

Also, how WONDERFUL it would be if at least one of last year's second rounders proved a good receiver.
>>yes, and I think Cork, you have several 'fans' on this blog that want you to hold your breath waiting for this to happen

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up with today's posts...Here's my takes:

1) WTF is Daniels mad about? This team is finally playing hardball. This guy is 36 years old, coming off major knee surgery and you want more than the vet minimum???

2) LaCanfora knows how to bring the pain...
Yeah, we've got some holes, that cannot be replaced in one season even with a full complement of picks. To me, the key is the developement of last year's picks.

3) JC doesn't need an extension yet. Win...get paid....period!

4) Let's revisit General Manager LaCanfora's holes at the beginning of training camp. We could get some cheap FA pickups for depth. Remember, we got Kendall right at the start of the season.

5) I think one of the best posts was whoever posted all the Skins picks over the years. Let's not pretend we've been the Patriots, even before Snyder.


To sum it up, no one talks about the fact that we've had several offensive systems over the last five years. More than personnel, that explains a lot. But look at the defense...the same defense over the last five years, and what happened...Top 10 in four of five years.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 17, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Patriots will still draft a CB, probably with one of their first three selections.

Shawn Springs is just a "stop-gap" until the CB they draft is ready to start.

No one, at least not me, thought that Springs wasn't good - he was the best CB on the team, when on the field. But that was his problem in addition to his salary.

I'm glad that the team has moved on from Springs - they got younger at CB, and I think that part of the defense (secondary) is the strongest part of the team without question. So losing Springs doesn't hurt them that much.

A good question to ask is: Is Hall or Rogers better than any CB not named 'Springs' on the Patroits roster?

So just because that a team that is known for building through the draft decides to sign a aging, at times health-stricken, veteran CB doesn't add nor diminish Springs worth to this team.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Ha! This is Funny is SJK!!

It appears Zack Bolno (Redskins PR Guy) keeps refreshing RI constently.

He must have saw this post and relayed it to Vinny who then went to Blatche with his marching orders!

So, the final score in the Daniels (made up) controversy:

Redskins 1 WashPost 0

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

"I just want to take this time to link everyone to the best high school in the DMV, in the best city in the DMV.

Can't Hide That Titan Pride...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009"

Hmmmm "page no longer available" is the best high school in the DMV? Still think its Walt Whitman if we are speaking of academics. Sports is an entirely different matter.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"It appears Zack Bolno (Redskins PR Guy) keeps refreshing RI consistently."

hmmm wonder if he is sports_guru? he may have a "bolno" for RI?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Dead Bonus Money on 2009 Cap

WR Brandon Lloyd $5,333
CB Shawn Springs $2,483
LB Marcus Washington $2,020
OL Todd Wade $1,167
DE Phillip Daniels $314
S Vernon Fox $100
P Durant Brooks $87
TE Tyler Ecker $29


Looks like we are paying Shawn Springs very well indeed to play for the Patriots.

I don't know what Marcus Washington is complaining about. He would be making over 3 million by signing for the veteran's minimum.

And Philip Daniels is already slated to make $314,000 ...

Of course the worst is Brandon Lloyd at
$5,333,000 for catching a cold in Washington.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey leevi98 - I don't recall Per calling you names or being "disrespectful" like you so clearly demonstrated.

Let's face it - you blew it on the posting. Maybe you should get your act together and leave the name calling behind.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

how did I "blow it" as you put it on the posting? It's all over skins site including extreme where it was posted...maybe you should read what I wrote before you comment...Oh we didnt read of comment on this did we?


"I think it's BS actually"

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse


Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm perhaps reading comprehension is an issue? There was no "name calling" that I could see? Please read articles carefully before posting their link.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

As I mentioned before...I posted this link because it was out there on most skins sites....I posted it here because I thought thats what we have been doing here for years...Posting news stories and then talking about them....You also failed to read the next post where I stated I think it's BS...but we have failed to even see that posting.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

perc, the link was supposed to take you to the featured HS story in the WaPo sports section. It's about T.C. Williams in Alexandria, VEEEEEEA.

To paraphrase you, Academics is an entirely different matter.

T.C. is a basketball school...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

leevi I thought you were leaving for good? I really want you to succeed in your pledge!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse


Funny chris Larry....

I am not the first or will I be the last to make that statement after being frustrated with some of the postings on here....

If you are going to call me out...then you should call out all the other many people, including yourself back in the old blog two years ago when the same thing was said... :)

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

My God people on this bliog are so easy to bait and get started LOL

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

leevi98 -

Your first two posting seemed to treat it with a fair amount of credibility. To your credit, you weren't in favor of the trade, but it was never real.

It wasn't until after you were clued in to that subtle yet revealing clue - the very first word in the article, that you posted "I think it's BS actually". Hence, it would appear you blew it.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Are we making fun of leevi because he can't read or because he can't write? I'm down with either one but I'm not sure how to proceed.


Posted by: mack1 | March 17, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

You can make fun all you want mack...just because i have some typos because I was at work and do not have but seconds to read and post...whatever...

Why don't you start posting something with substance yourself before calling others out.....

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

if only we cut jason taylor much earlier we could've signed chris canty and solidify are d-line, instead of having contract arguments with a 36 year old (with knee problems) who feels insulted by the vet minimum.

Posted by: duncanrobee | March 17, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

leevi98 -

Your first two posting seemed to treat it with a fair amount of credibility. To your credit, you weren't in favor of the trade, but it was never real.

It wasn't until after you were clued in to that subtle yet revealing clue - the very first word in the article, that you posted "I think it's BS actually". Hence, it would appear you blew it.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

i didn'y blow anything...i posted a link so everyone can see it...I was chatting back to answer another posters comment..."blowing it" as you call it...well I just don't see that considering all I did was post a link so everyone can see it...If you have a problem with that...then you should not be on a blog...cause posting articles is what we have done here for over 5 years.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Excellent Analysis, you Cleveland Brown's fan ... oh forgot Baltimore Ravens ...

>>Um actually spot on and a little kind. >>There are other concerns.

agreed.

"Rocky's durability means all LBs are potential trouble spots."

Fletcher isn't getting any younger. HB is his backup and everyone else's. Kind of becoming the Stephon Heyer of linebackers. Can't Dr. Blache convert Chris Wilson or Rob Jackson the way the Eagles converted Chris Gocong?

>> Carter should benefit immensely from
>> Haynesworth, but has anyone gotten a
>> gander at his skinny legs? Without M.
>> Washington protecting his flanks, he's
>> sweepable.

Let's hope for the $2,020,000 he will already earn ... plus the veterans minimum, Washington will deign to play for the team next year.

This isn't a good draft for linebackers unless you draft near the top or convert a defensive end. Rob Jackson, Rob Jackson, Rob Jackson? They need one or two starters from next year's crop.

>> I'm not sold on DeAngello Hall. The
>> memory of him getting lit up by a denver
>> rookie was burned into my heart.

Even if Hall improves along with Rogers ... Smoot has gotten far worst than he was as a rookie. And they are basically stuck with him until 2011 ... along with many others. They need a high draft pick here as well.

>> Rabach is still too light to be
>> effective against nose tackles. He'll
>> benefit from having Dockery, but...

Many experts observing the Redskins collapse at the end of last year pointed to Rabach and Randy Thomas ... NOT Jansen.

The entire line needs to be revamped with reasonably talented youth from the draft.

"Jason Campbell? If the jury's out on him any longer, I'm calling a mistrial."

The come back against SF I think said a lot about his progress. Sometimes slow is better when grooming a starter. That was often the case under Gibbs 1.0.

Give him the same offense, an OL, and some receivers and he should do well.

"Portis' durability? An issue. He has no viable backup."

This may end up being the worst problem ... another guy you won't be able to part with until 2011.

"Re-enforcements. FOUR picks. Give me two starters and I'll rest easier."

I tend to think they need more because they used any and all of their potential FA money on Haynesworth, Hall, and Dockery.

Bet they can't wait for Brandon Lloyd to disappear from the dead cap.

Going to have to go to the draft for help. And they need more than just 2 starters, perhaps even more than 4.

Also, how WONDERFUL it would be if at least one of last year's second rounders proved a good receiver.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up leevi. We're just messing with you. Don't get all upset and start making threats to turn your back on RI forever. Because we all know how that worked out. Write? No disrespective.

Posted by: mack1 | March 17, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Also, how WONDERFUL it would be if at least one of last year's second rounders proved a good receiver.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Can't make your own posts so your posting what others have said before? WOW your insightful!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up leevi. We're just messing with you. Don't get all upset and start making threats to turn your back on RI forever. Because we all know how that worked out. Write? No disrespective.

Posted by: mack1 | March 17, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Your right Mack and you are also right that I had a typo....but at work I must write in a hurry cause I'm not suppose to be reading sports news! :)

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"Can't make your own posts so your posting what others have said before? WOW your insightful!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009"

Hmmm assiduous in your pursuit of redress for perceived offenses.

I entirely agreed with his statement. Made a great conclusion. No reason to change.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

i didn'y blow anything...i posted a link so everyone can see it...I was chatting back to answer another posters comment..."blowing it" as you call it...well I just don't see that considering all I did was post a link so everyone can see it...If you have a problem with that...then you should not be on a blog...cause posting articles is what we have done here for over 5 years.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:46 PM |

Ok, fair enough, but when your first post includes "Wonder if this has credibility" and the second includes "i would not want this deal at all...would love to have cutler but not at that price...thats stupid!" it would appear by y our own words that you were unaware of the "satire" part of it - again the first word in the posting.

Just an observation.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

John Keim -- very solid Redskins reporter -- just wrote an article saying the Cutler to DC rumors are more than just rumors.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Do-Skins-want-Cutler-41399007.html

Posted by: MylesMonroe | March 17, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!! Big trade rumors flying around....Wonder if this has any credit

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/140554-jayc-to-dc-3-way-trade-has-5-players-moving-and-2-drafts


Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

leevi98 -

Your first two posting seemed to treat it with a fair amount of credibility. To your credit, you weren't in favor of the trade, but it was never real.

It wasn't until after you were clued in to that subtle yet revealing clue - the very first word in the article, that you posted "I think it's BS actually". Hence, it would appear you blew it.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

There I reposted my original post.....what about the word rumor do you not understand? then i wrote "Wonder if this has any credit"

So at what point did I believe the article and "treat it with a fair amount of credibility?" As you put it.... How is it that I blew it? seems to me i wrote exactly what you said I didn't.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

John Keim -- very solid Redskins reporter -- just wrote an article saying the Cutler to DC rumors are more than just rumors.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Do-Skins-want-Cutler-41399007.html


Posted by: MylesMonroe | March 17, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

thank you for posting that...as I mentioned before the rumors are all over the net On most Skins sites and a few others....

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

"John Keim -- very solid Redskins reporter -- just wrote an article saying the Cutler to DC rumors are more than just rumors.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Do-Skins-want-Cutler-41399007.html

Posted by: MylesMonroe | March 17, 2009"

I think the Post or Times, or one of the TV stations would have reported it ... if they could get more than one trusted source to agree with it.

Cutler would completely blow away the salary cap.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

There was a snarky remark in a recent blog about John Palermo's "struggles" as the Skins' DL coach during the 2008 season. Given that:

1. The dud never coached in the NFL.
2. He was retired when the Skins hired him before the 2008 season began.
3. His most recent posting was at a division IV college, Tennessee Tech. Not many long pole carrying heathen brutes there.
4. He is a Vinnie crony.

Struggles? Who could possibly have ever seen that coming?

Another post was upset about coach Jim Zorn's critical appraisal of his rookie WRs' route running skills. The poster sarcastically opinied as to whether Desean Jackson, another rookie WR who saw considerable playing time with the Eagles, might be gazing at the Journal of Biophysics when not on the field snagging tosses from QB Donovan McNabb. To which we reply:

1. Is Jackson the right WR to be putting on a pedestal? The dud dropped numerous passes, including a game winner against the Skins.
2. Jackson did graduate from Cal Berkeley, an elite educational institution every bit as good as Harvard or MIT with very high admission standards. It would surprise no one if he were reading articles on quantum physics.
3. The WCO, which coach Zorn is trying to install as the Skins' offense, does require more of WRs than the normal knuckle dragger might be able to master. The WR has to be able to correctly read defensive schemes and react appropriately. One does "wonder", though, if Zorn and his coaches actually saw the WR draftees' "Wonder"lic scores before they were selected.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 17, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

For what its worth, Clayton was on Sportscenter and mentioned the Skins and Cutler but said there is currently no truth to it. Wouldn't rule it out completely with the Dan Snyder disclaimer that all media outlets seem to use.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 17, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

leevi98 -

It just seems that when you say "I wonder if this has any credit" to a posting that starts with "Satire", you may have missed a big clue about the credibility of that posting.

Obviously, it is not creditable. That's what's implied by the word 'Satire".

That's all I'm saying.

Personally, I think we've beaten this to death, but if you would like to restate your position for a third time, feel free.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

leevi, give it up. You thought it was an authentic rumor (truth unknown) as opposed to a satire (clearly false). edvar is right, just say "my bad" and move on.

For those who think trading down is a good idea, I ask: "why?"

There are approximately 255 players in the draft each year split among 32 teams. That's roughly 8 players per team each year. Over the past 5 years, that means 40 players per team. Since most teams have a lot of players with more than 5 years experience, that means a lot of those players (usually drafted in the later rounds) become available again. There are also UFAs, of similar quality to those who are drafted. In other words, there are a fair number of players with talent similar to the lower round draftees.

With our team's track record, the smart money is on keeping the high draft pick and filling another one of the gaping holes (namely O-line). If there's no superstar at #13, consider trading back on draft day--while on the clock--because the talent quality will all begin to taper off.

If anything, I say give up next years 4th and 5th rounder and move UP in the draft. Then go after NFL free agents and UFAs.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

leevi, give it up. You thought it was an authentic rumor (truth unknown) as opposed to a satire (clearly false). edvar is right, just say "my bad" and move on.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I see your point Alan as well as his...But the reality of the issue is..No I did NOT fully beleive that it was true as Iv'e stated before.

For cryin out loud ..It's all over the net and on tv...so why am I so wrong for posting a link to that affect? No harm no foul...But I'm not going to admit to something that is not true...

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"If anything, I say give up next years 4th and 5th rounder and move UP in the draft. Then go after NFL free agents and UFAs.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009"

Every team has to know they are in a bind. And that's when Snidely gets really stupid.

They need multiple picks in the 2nd round. Throw in some picks next year plus perhaps a 1st. They have to draft for need. Unfortunately, everyone knows that.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

the best high school in the DMV? Still think its Walt Whitman if we are speaking of academics. Sports is an entirely different matter.

Posted by: periculum

I agree :)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

"You thought it was an authentic rumor"

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

well actually it is an authenic rumor...the rumor is all over the net and TV. i a bit confused as to why nobody understands the word "rumor"

Here is the definiton of that word to remind everyone


"Rumor" -

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

That was pretty lousy piece of satire. In fact, everything from that bleacher report blog that I've seen linked on here kinda sucks.

Posted by: mack1 | March 17, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

"WTF!!!! Big trade rumors flying around....Wonder if this has any credit"

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

So again I ask..in the original post above and what the defintion of rumor is...

how on earth can you not understand what i wrote? the only way would be to NOt know what the word rumor means.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

perc, the link was supposed to take you to the featured HS story in the WaPo sports section. It's about T.C. Williams in Alexandria, VEEEEEEA.

To paraphrase you, Academics is an entirely different matter.

T.C. is a basketball school...


Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 7:36 PM


Whaaaa!??!

Did they go undeafeted and repeat as State Champions as MY SPRINGBROOK BLUE DEVILS??

I didn't think so...........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

The Cutler to DC thing is a bit like the weapons of mass destruction rumor. One person says it and everyone else runs with it.

fwiw, Cleveland and Denver + a 3rd team does make sense in the Cutler fiasco. Cleveland has 2 QBs and needs to part with one. Denver gets a Cleveland QB and the 3rd team gets Cutler. Add a few more parts into the mix like picks and perhaps a defender or two for the Broncos and you've got something. But the top candidates are teams that need a good QB, soon. The Jets are at the top of the list, along with SF, da Bears, Vikes and perhaps the Ravens and maybe a few others.

The Skins need an OL, not a QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

"But finding a way to stuff in a $15-million-a-year quarterback and the inevitable $45 million or more in guarantees when you didn't have the cap room to squeeze in Ray Willis would be something. And, again, it's not like the Skins have any more significant restructuring candidates sitting around the locker room or high-salaried veterans they can just jettison."

Unless Chris Samuels and ARE are a part of the deal ... it makes no sense to make the trade. And then you would have to assured of getting a replacement in the draft.

Landry and Campbell would only combine for 7 million. You would still have to trade a Chris Samuels and perhaps an ARE to get the rest of the way ...

and then what? There are already way too many holes that sort of trade would just increase them to the point where Cutler could look forward to finishing 1-15.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

What's up fans. This is Phillip Daniels. Jason tends to add things and leave things out on all his articles. lol I talked to coach Blache today and I told him I was in between helping my son who is a sophomore in high school who could be a top player in his senior year fulfill his dreams or coming back and playing my 14th season. I told him that I need to weigh my options and he don't fault me for putting my family first. I have also received a coaching offer by my son's high school which would help me be hands on in the process. I am considering both opportunities and being a 13 year vet, I have to make sure things at home is taken care of first. My family wants me to play so I am considering returning. Remember the saying, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Well that's what you got to do with articles on the internet or in the papers because they rarely tell the whole truth. I think Albert is a great addition and that the Skins have a really good chance of winning the Superbowl next season. I will make my decision soon so everyone can move forward. Be safe.

Posted by: thatboyphil93 | March 17, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins need an OL, not a QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009"

YEPPER!

As Joe Gibbs demonstrated ... you don't need a premier QB if you have a great line.

Snidely would have a gambling addiction to make that crazy deal. I do wonder about that ...

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse


Is Whitman considered foreign soil being they have so many ambassador's son's and daughter's?

Or was that Walter Johnson?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Good luck you to, Mr Daniels. Thanks for the update and I'm sure your decision will be best for all involved.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thatboyphil93 | March 17, 2009 8:45 PM

As I would love to believe you. I can't because on RI everyone getts imitated.

But, I do remember that you, Phillip Daniels, do hope on Redskins' blogs in the past. So, I hope it is, but just can't believe it. A lot of people like to play with other's minds around here.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

LEVI SHUT UUUUUUUP!!!! Seriously!I had no problem with your post, but it seems as if there is a personal vendetta to everyone who made a comment. You realize you are just fueling the argument. Back talk and giving each other a hard time is common here, as im sure you know, Ive seen your name here for years. Lets move on.

Posted by: erleach | March 17, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Is Whitman considered foreign soil being they have so many ambassador's son's and daughter's?

Or was that Walter Johnson?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009"

Depends on where they live.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I believe that's Daniels.

Thanks for hoping on here and getting the word out. The WashPost tries to pit everyone against the Skins sometimes........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone ever emailed Rid before? Does he respond?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

the only place in the world I ever felt like I was on foreign soil is dallas. not enough showers to get that stank off me. Everywhere else in the world, I felt welcomed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

If you look at the last 8 Super Bowls, 5 have been won by either the Pats or the Steelers. The Pats did it with a great QB and the Steelers did it with great D. Guess which one the Skins have a chance of emulating? Neither the Pats nor the Steelers did it with a great OL. Each team had a serviceable OL, but nobody stood out as a road grader or a mauler. So maybe that is what the Skins need. A serviceable line and hope this and the rest of what they have or might have gets them closer to a Steeler's-like world. As far as the current draft goes, it would be more efficient to trade down to have more picks and the real possibility of getting a "good" tackle/guard and a "good" center, of which there is a real need, instead of keeping the 13th pick and getting some road grader or mauler for tackle and then that would be it.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 17, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"As far as the current draft goes, it would be more efficient to trade down to have more picks and the real possibility of getting a "good" tackle/guard and a "good" center, of which there is a real need, instead of keeping the 13th pick and getting some road grader or mauler for tackle and then that would be it.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 17, 2009"

I agree. If this were some other team it would be yea verily. However, Snyderato seem to have problems selecting people beyond the 1st round, beginning of the 2nd. Excepting when Gibbs and Williams were around. Those drafts were reasonably successful even then most lower round picks were less than average ...

Now we're back in the age of Taylor Jacobs type selections which is what happened last year.

Can these guys select the right character and caliber players with reasonable physical skills? I tend to doubt it.

Makes you feel like you are doomed.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Again, in my book Daniels will be playing for well over a million a year. (including the dead cap release fee). Washington would play for 3 million a year (including the dead cap release fee).

Why are they complaining this year? Maybe next year they would have a bone of contention if they have good years ... but this year? NO WAY.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

From ProFootballTalk.com

CERRATO: “JASON CAMPBELL IS GOING TO BE OUR QUARTERBACK”
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 9:07 p.m.
The rumors of the Washington Redskins possibly trading for Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, fueled by a bleacherreport.com story setting forth a far-fetched three-team trade scenario that might or might not have been labeled ambiguously as “satire” before the predicted 5:00 p.m. EDT announcement of the deal, have already created a sufficient stir to require the Redskins to address them.

In an item posted at 6:41 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato told David Elfin of the Washington Times that the Redskins “haven’t talked to anyone” about Cutler, and that “Jason is going to be our quarterback this season.”

We don’t want to pick nits here, but Cerrato didn’t say that the Redskins aren’t interested in Cutler, only that they “haven’t talked to anyone” about him. And when Cerrato says that “Jason is going to be our quarterback,” Cerrato omits the key words “starting” or “backup.”

We’re kidding. Sort of.

Here’s the deal — the Cutler fiasco has confirmed that teams need to handle their starting quarterbacks like a college football coach handles his current job. Neither can afford to allow word to get out that a change might be coming. If change is going to happen, it needs to come swiftly and without advance rumor or speculation.

It’s the “I’m not going to be the Alabama coach” phenomenon; the Redskins would end up with the next disgruntled starting quarterback if credible word were to get out that the Redskins are thinking about making a change at the most important position on the roster.

Posted by: lifelongfan | March 17, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

They don't get paid the "release fee" periculum. It's just a penalty the team incurs that means they're only allowed to spend a certain amount of money. None of those guys see a dime of that fee.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

LEVI SHUT UUUUUUUP!!!! Seriously!I had no problem with your post, but it seems as if there is a personal vendetta to everyone who made a comment. You realize you are just fueling the argument. Back talk and giving each other a hard time is common here, as im sure you know, Ive seen your name here for years. Lets move on.


Posted by: erleach | March 17, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

First off...telling me to shut up on a blog is just flat out funny.

Second I did not debate or as you put it "personal vendetta to everyone who made a comment" is false. I did not do that to everyone who made a comment...Just the ones who claimed i thought the article was real....i really have no idea why so many do not know the definition of the word rumor and the fact that I asked a question as to wondering if there is any creduit to the RUMOR! how that is interpeted as me "blowing" the link or thinking it's real is completely hilarious.

finally for you to tell me to shut up and not defend myself because you don't want to read...well....FINE DON'T read my posts then.

your fueling by making such an immature and ridiculous comment is simply showing yourself in the same light you claim I am in.

I will never admit and will defend myslef if other claim something that is not true.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse


Who is the "Sleeper" in the 2009 NFL Draft?


Paul Burmeister, NFL Network:

As long as we're defining a "sleeper" as a relatively unknown player who won't go in the first round but will make an impact, here's some names: Antoine Coldwell, center, Alabama. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina. Andre Brown, RB, NC State. Kraig Urbik, OL, Wisconsin. Juacquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma. Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU."

Urbik and Coldwell? Cheap and perhaps would start?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

rickyroge: "5) I think one of the best posts was whoever posted all the Skins picks over the years. Let's not pretend we've been the Patriots, even before Snyder."

Even the Patriots haven't been the Patriots in terms of their image. They've blown a number of picks, high and low, and that's contributed to their free agent activity.

Draft's something of a crapshoot. The Pats stockpile picks because they're aware how often they don't pan out. It's a better strategy than some, but far from foolproof.

NE won those titles because of who they had on the field, not because they hit on an unusually high percentage of their draft picks.

The home runs made up for the strikeouts, that's how I see it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Periculum

maybe this will make up for the rumor link...this is not and rumor and why the "Insider" does not have this posted yet is beyond me.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/Mar/17/redskins-cut-matt-sinclair/

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Ooops sorry I meant dead cap bonus money WHIC I ASSUME goes to the player?

Dead Bonus Money on 2009 Cap
WR Brandon Lloyd $5,333
CB Shawn Springs $2,483
LB Marcus Washington $2,020
OL Todd Wade $1,167
DE Phillip Daniels $314
S Vernon Fox $100
P Durant Brooks $87
TE Tyler Ecker $29

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

"Periculum

maybe this will make up for the rumor link...this is not and rumor and why the "Insider" does not have this posted yet is beyond me.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/Mar/17/redskins-cut-matt-sinclair/

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009"

I saw it earlier. I guess it wasn't important enough for Cindy or the Jason's to post before tomorrow morning ...

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

They don't get paid the "release fee" periculum. It's just a penalty the team incurs that means they're only allowed to spend a certain amount of money. None of those guys see a dime of that fee.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 9:56 PM
============================================
You and your eff'in facts.

It's a wonder you haven't been banned from this blog.

Yet.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 17, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

periculum,

Here is another link about the QB rumors...from the front office ...vinnie has spoken

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/Mar/17/jason-our-quarterback/

Posted by: leevi98 | March 17, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

antonchigurh: "The Pats did it with a great QB and the Steelers did it with great D. "

Not to nitpick, but if you ask Steelers' coaches, you'll hear them say that the reason the secret to their last two Super Bowl victories is Ben Roethlisberger.

Not the defense. As important as it was.

And I suspect (although can't prove) that the biggest single reason for the Pats Super Bowl success is that guy behind center.

It's a game that more than ever depends on one position over the others. If you can protect that one position, you win. If you can attack that one position, your opponent loses.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

"Ooops sorry I meant dead cap bonus money WHIC I ASSUME goes to the player?"

All dead cap is from bonuses. None is from salary. That's the risk you take when you give a player a bonus instead of a straight yearly salary. If you cut a player who you gave a signing bonus prior to his proration being up, the cap hit from the remaining years on that proration gets forwarded to the immediate year (or over two years if the cut was after June 1st).

All those guys were paid their bonuses years ago. None of them saw any money because they were cut. All those hits are simply theoretical dollars meant to lower the maximum spending limit the Redskins can have because the Skins failed to honor their contracts.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"All those guys were paid their bonuses years ago. None of them saw any money because they were cut. All those hits are simply theoretical dollars meant to lower the maximum spending limit the Redskins can have because the Skins failed to honor their contracts."

I think pro-rated means it gets deferred. The player has to agree to allow the bonus to be deferred or for salary to be placed into this bonus.

Do you have a source for your elaborations? I am not at all sure that they are correct.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Homeruns for "strikeouts"?

The Redskins have large gaping holes. They don't need "homeruns". Snyder, like a typical fan, seems to think he needs a "homerun". When really what you need is someone who can do a good enough job. They don't have enough guys who can just do the job while remaining healthy.

I believe you can find enough guys who can do the job in the draft if you are careful about culling through all the possibilities.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

periculum,

read this, maybe it will help you understand:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bucs/2007-08-08-plummer-bonus_N.htm

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 17, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

If you look at the last 8 Super Bowls, 5 have been won by either the Pats or the Steelers. The Pats did it with a great QB and the Steelers did it with great D. Guess which one the Skins have a chance of emulating? Neither the Pats nor the Steelers did it with a great OL. Each team had a serviceable OL, but nobody stood out as a road grader or a mauler.

Posted by: AntonChigurh

The Pats have had a terrific line. Terrific. Individually, not a lot of stars. As a group, extremely solid and with no weak links. An OL is determined more by its weaker links than it is by its best player.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Top 10 things you didn't know about "TheCork" until now:

10. I work at Circuit City. I've been told I "have what it takes" to seriously advance my career here in the next 3-5 years.

9. Dan Snyder would not buy my girl scout cookies when I knocked on his door in 2004. I have hated him ever since.

8. I met Emilio Garcia-Ruiz at a Post Christmas party 3 years ago. After a few Appletinis and a half hour in the janitor's closet, one thing led to another. He is now my pimp.

7. J-Reid loves it when I rub his bald dome as he eats twinkies. I just love dome. Period.

6. When I married, I took my wife's last name.

5. I do have friends. Both of them are invisible, but they do exist.

4. I used to post under the ID of "Corkczar" because I think Mike Fratello is really hot.

3. I sweat a lot. A LOT.

2. I was the real photgrapher behind the Cooley picture last season.

1. I am the "source close to the team" JLC always talks about. I live 2 miles from Ashburn.

Posted by: TheCork_ | March 17, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

"It's a game that more than ever depends on one position over the others. If you can protect that one position, you win. If you can attack that one position, your opponent loses."

Samson, this is very accurate to a point.

Good line play combined with poor execution by the QB will still kill you. Look at Rex Grossman. However, superior O line play will certainly help a smart QB with good skills execute better.

I try to believe superior O line play for the Skins will allow Campbell to raise the bar on his game. At least, that is my hope based on the first half of the season last year.

The way our line broke down the last half of the season, I don't imagine many QB's playing well in our system. (yeah, there are other variables like receiver production, play calling and Portis breaking down, but a dominating O line would have helped all of that, IMO)

We must protect our QB - whoever is back there. We must fortify our lines.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Ooops.

Yeah, I said that wrong...what I meant to say was:

I don't imagine many QB's playing well in our system when the O line breaks down like it did during the last half of the season...

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

The hit gets prorated. The actual bonus gets paid in full. That's why when you hear the Redskins restructure a player's contract, they almost always end up getting paid either the same or more as they did before during that season, despite the cap hit being lowered.

Say a player has 1 year left on his deal and a $6 million salary. If the team restructures, they'll generally give the player a minimum salary for that year(~$1 million), transfer the rest of the previous salary to a bonus (~$5 million), then extend his contract by 2 years. That bonus gets paid in full immediately, but the hit gets prorated over the 3 years of the contract, or $1.6 million per year ($5 million divided by 3 years). The result is the player still gets paid $6 million for that year, but the cap hit is only around $2.67 ($1 million salary + $1.67 bonus).

The risk of course is cutting the player prior to the proration being up, which would accelerate the entire bonus immediately. Had the team just kept it all salary, the player can be cut with no cap ramifications (like Jason Taylor was).

I'm sure you can find the rules somewhere, but that's a very basic view of how it works. Obviously it's never that simple, because of different kinds of bonuses, incentives, and accelerators in contracts. But the gist and principles remain the same.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is our QB for all the right reasons. He threw just 6 picks all season long despite playing 6 games against the top 5 defenses in football (philly, nyg, Ravens and Steelers -- we were 4th in d). 2 of those 6 picks came in the last moments of the games when we were down 2 scores.

The other QBs in our division each had a single game where they threw 3 meaningful picks. Campbell threw only 4 meaningful picks ALL SEASON. That is a huge accomplishment.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

READ the CUTLER swill. HOG WASH. LANDRY stays, COOLEY stays, deal breakers both. End of story.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 17, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

DANIELS comes back. That's believable.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 17, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I just read the Keim article and it sounds legit.

Cutler to Skins is extremely possible....

Keim has been covering the redskins for over 10 years. So, he is not a newbie on the beat....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

READ the CUTLER swill. HOG WASH. LANDRY stays, COOLEY stays, deal breakers both. End of story.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 17, 2009 11:15 PM

That was B. S.

BUT, read this. It is totally different:

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Do-Skins-want-Cutler-41399007.html

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post should fire this fat bastard for his lack of competence!

Do you hear me out there world?!!

I want answers!

Let us ice this fatso once and for all!

So help me God... if it's the last thing I do: I will pay JLC in full!

He's dragging the Post's name in the fing mud.

Posted by: noseman4681 | March 17, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's a better trade: out O-line for Denver's O-line. Straight up.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

BUT, read this. It is totally different:

http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Do-Skins-want-Cutler-41399007.html

Posted by: 4thFloor

“They’re trying to do something,” one NFL source said of the Redskins.

That's the ONLY quote in the entire article. The rest is just opinion and the Kevin Bacon 6 degrees of freedom crap (these guys have the same agent, Shanahan traded with Cerrato before so Shanahan's opinion of Cutler is important, yadda yadda yadda)

There is one angle to consider, however, that NO ONE has mentioned. Good thing Zeke is here to cover it.

Bringing Cutler here MIGHT be part of an effort to bring Shanahan here. Not sure how much Shanahan is invested in Cutler, but if he is (Shanahan drafted him and promoted him to starter), then he might want to coach him again.

The problem with that scenario is that Shanahan probably won't work for Vinny ... meaning a trade for Cutler makes it more likely that Vinny and Zorn both get axed after the 2009 season.

But if Vinny has an under the table deal with Shanahan to coach here if Zorn fails, bringing Cutler here makes all kinds of sense.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

BEEP BEEP

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

hey leevi i thought you were at work. with all the posting you are doing you must not have to work when at work.

Posted by: rls1041 | March 18, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

that was yesterday ...I was at work during the first few postings....happy?

Posted by: leevi98 | March 18, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Phillip Daniels is both a quality individual and a quality football player. The Redskins would be blessed to have him as part of their team for the next two years. Phillip, we love you regardless of the decision you make, and God Bless you and your family. Best of luck to your son in High School and beyond!

-Lifelong Skins Fan, L Briscoe

Posted by: lbriscoe | March 18, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

We need young blood on the lines, but Snyder's idea of growing a good tomato is to wait for a sale on ripe ones at the Giant.

Posted by: frak | March 18, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Vinny's plan for defensive ends: beg every washed up defensive end to come to Washington to play for next to nothing because spent the bankroll on high visibility defensive tackle with character issues.

Prognosis for defensive ends: 27th in the league in sacks.

Way to go Vinny. Great strategy. Keep signing them cuz these guys can play well into their forties... which, coincidentally, is equal to the seconds it takes them to run the 40-yard dash.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 18, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Perc - psps is pretty much correct about the cap deferral money. And there is a twist to the rules this year - because of the upcoming expiration of the NFLPA labor agreement there is a clause (I believe) that prohibits teams from designating pro-rated cap charges to post-June dates. In other words, teams previously used to be able to cut a player in February and only take one pro-rated year for CAP charges that year, while deferring the rest of the pro-rated hit until the next year.

Using a simplified example, assume Cooley received a $12M signing bonus for a 6-year contract prior to the 2008 season. This would mean the bonus is spread out for cap charges at $2M/per yr. Under the old rules they could cut (or trade) him this year and would only be charged $2M against the cap (this year's pro-rated amount), while deferring the remaing cap hit ($8M) untill 2010. This is why you see the big number for Lloyd this year - because they only took a hit for one of his years last year when they released him. So...under the 2009 rule change anybody they cut or trade gets charged against the cap immediately - you can't defer the charge until next year. If you think about it this makes sense - otherwise teams might try to dump charges into an uncapped year. The NFLPA doesn't want this because if an agreement *IS* reached with a salary cap some teams that gambled on there not being a cap would be cutting their players right and left trying to get under the cap.

This is the main reason (IMO) you will not see any trades involving Cooley, ARE, Samuels, Carter or anyone else that just signed or redid their contract. If they trade them the cap hit would be enormous because of the recent bonus accruals that would be counted immediately.

My example ignores changes to a contract after it was created. Most big contracts have additional bonuses paid during the term that change the cap number dynamically.

Daniel's cap charge is interesting - I did not see the team release him, so I'm guessing an option year date passed a few weeks ago where either Philip or the team declined the option. (whoever held it)

BTW, I'm big on Daniels. He may be getting along now, but he will be a load if healthy. I think he's currently their best DE. He's great against the run and has a knack for deflecting passes. I say give him a few more bucks.

Posted by: sysadb420 | March 18, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy and biased, but I'm "studying" for my finals at UC right now. Connor Barwin is currently having his pro-day workout, which I can see perfectly from my cpu-lab window, and I think the 'skins ought to take a hard look at a talented hard-working player who can play OLB, DE, and TE who is intelligent and has good character. I'm not suggesting that we use our 1st round pick, but as last years draft taught me, there's always a way to make moves.

Posted by: bairta | March 19, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company