Daniels Uncertain of Skins' Interest

Jason Reid reports:

Confused about the lack of progress in negotiations with the Redskins, veteran defensive end Phillip Daniels no longer is confident he is in the team's plans, he said today.

"When people look you in your face, when you talk to them man to man, and they tell you how much they want you back and how much you mean to the team, yeah, you think" an agreement will be reached, Daniels said in a lengthy phone interview. "But then when you don't hear anything for a while, and the questions you ask don't get answered, when they don't clarify anything, you start to wonder, 'What's going on?' Everybody I talk to [in team management] tells me they want me back, but I'm starting to feel very unwanted right now."

Hoping to fill the hole at left end after releasing Pro Bowler Jason Taylor earlier this month, the Redskins quickly moved to bring back Daniels, 36, who sat out last season because of a knee injury that occurred on the first day of training camp in July. The Redskins offered Daniels a minimum contract, figuring he would accept it and return for his sixth season with them and 14th in the NFL.

But Daniels expected a bigger proposal from the Redskins "after going out there and playing hurt all the times I did and being the leader they said I was," Daniels said. "You tell someone how important they are to you, you don't give them the minimum. That's not showing somebody that you feel they're important and you want them. I told them don't come back to my agent until they've got something concrete. That was like 2 1/2 weeks ago. I keep hearing from some people [at the complex] that they're going to get it worked out, but I haven't seen that yet."

The Redskins yesterday brought back defensive lineman Renaldo Wynn, a former team leader released before the 2007 season, to help fill the void at left end. "I talked to Renaldo, he called me before" he accepted the team's one-year offer, Daniels said. "I told Renaldo to go ahead and do what's best for his family, because what's best for his family may not be right for my family."

Daniels, who makes his offseason home in Chicago, traveled to the complex to conduct a private workout for owner Daniel Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, Coach Jim Zorn, defensive coordinator Greg Blache and other team officials in late February. He said the Redskins told him they were impressed with his progress in rehabilitation after knee surgery, and revealed their plan to re-sign him and Wynn to address their needs at left end. "But Vinny never clarified who the starter would be," Daniels said. "Every time I asked him, he said he envisioned a rotation with me and Renaldo. But the starter is going to be on the field more than the backup, and it's just another thing that's confusing to me."

Concerns about Daniels's knee and age could be factors in the Redskins' decision to hold the line with their contract offer, Daniels said, and the team was only about $7 million under the $127 million salary cap before it reached a deal with Wynn. "I know they don't have a lot of room left, and they gave a lot of money to Albert Haynesworth," Daniels said. "Albert Haynesworth is a great addition, he's going to help a lot, but maybe with the money they gave him, the space they have left, and my knee and age, they're using all that as an excuse with me. But they've always found a way to make the cap work when they want somebody, and they keep telling me they want me. I really think Dan is a great owner because he wants to win and he will spend money on players, and I really want to be back with the Redskins. I hope it will work out. I thought it really would. I just don't know now."

Daniels, who said his agent has been in contact with other teams, will retire unless he receives the type of offer he believes he deserves. "Even with the injury, I know I'm still one of the best run-stuffing ends in this league," he said. "I'm just going to keep working out, be patient and see what happens. But I won't leave my family for what they're offering me. I'm sure about that."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 17, 2009; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is Matt Jones Worth the Trouble for Skins?
Next: Campbell Unfazed by Lack of Extension

Comments

Well Phillip, sorry buddy, dont let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out.

See if any other teams are gonna offer more for a one dimensional 36 year old DE coming off a major injury.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

This is sad.

The only one who should be uncertain is Jason Campbell!

That mediocre, non- TD throwing loser should be cut or traded by the end of the day. Look at how all he cares about is defensive additions this offseason in that fluff article on the main Redskins Page of the Post! He is the reason our defense tanked half way through the season. He couldn't score, and put way too much pressure on them not to lose games, and to even help win them! No wonder all our QB cares about is us improving our defense. he can't win the games for us!

Let's not waste another season on this guy!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Having Wynn and/or Daniels won't make or break the season. I'd rather see one of the younger players or a younger free agent come in than those guys. Nice guys, but their time has come & gone...

Posted by: PaulK2 | March 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Daniels seems a little bit deluded if he thinks he's worth more than the minimum. He's an injury risk everytime he steps on the field. He's not going to get anything more than the minimum from any team he might sign with.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

And please, no one take the bait on Guru... it would be nice to not have a 300 post thread about JC again.

What about this Kevin Shaffer character at RT, if we had room? Don't really see any other room we can make though... other than cutting Yoder maybe.... not many contracts left to restructure either.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone complains about Jason Campbell. He's not a DE. He's not a kicker either. If they were playing basketball he wouldn't be a left wing. FWIW it's all about that.

Posted by: jgr007 | March 17, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Guru... it would be nice to not have a 300 post thread about JC again.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 17, 2009 2:06 PM
----------------------------------------
Hey,

I'm just fired up after reading that fluff article.

At least the true redskins fans that read only the articles are out there bashing him along with me. Maybe something will get through to the Front Office about trading/cutting him when they see the true fan outrage that he is even our QB for yet one more mediocre season!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

agreed on daniels, while I'd like him to be on the team, I'm not sure what he expects?? he's 36 coming off an acl injury...anything more than a vet minimum would be utterly foolish....put some incentives into the contract..I don't know what he's complaining about.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Is this guy for real, seriously. One of the best run stuffing DE's in the league, he did not play last year due to injury and the times before that he was injured a ton. You cant tell me with all of the mid level DE's that have been signed around the league, we could not have picked up someone better than Daniels and then to have to listen to him play his pity party and what he is worth. GOOD BYE...I thought R. Wynn was stupid and feel the same way with Daniels...why cant we rotate with Wynn, Jackson, Wilson and Buzzbee on the left DE or to help with right DE.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

He's 36 and he missed all of last year. I can't see any team paying him more than the min.

Posted by: will_ga | March 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Daniels needs to put down the pipe, and get back to reality. I don't know what type of player he thinks he is, but to be offered anything more than the minimum, when he's coming off of knee surgery, at the ripe old age of 36, and not being anything more than a "run stuffer".....well, he can keep on looking for that "contract that he thinks he's worth"....i hope he's got plenty of time on his hands, because that sh!t ain't happening! Sounds to me like his Agent needs to step up and be honest with that man.

Posted by: frmi | March 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

C'mon bid D. Play for the love of the gaaame.

Give him 100k more than the vet min. And a company car. And unlimited ice cream.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

'skins are still undecided about how they'll approach the draft, that is why Daniels doesn't have an offer, and Montgomery and Squeeze'Em have signed tenders? At least they won't draft another DT or kicker

What's the difference between a tender and contract?

sports_guru = Byron Leftwich

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgr007 | March 17, 2009 2:08 PM
--------------------------------
jgr,

Everyone wants to cut Jason Campbell, because he is partially responsible for the play at those positions being that he is the field general. See, if you have a poor general, than your troops will do poorly. They will try to advance catches and then fumble, they will jump offsides or false start, and yes, they will even shank kicks.

The reason is that they feel that the weight is all on their shoulders, because their QB stinks and won't win the game for them.

If we had a QB that would take chances down field, and take command of games, the rest of the team could lighten up and play more freely... thus perfomr better.

I am very glad you asked me about this. As a guru of sports knowledge, I am always willing to impart my wisdom upon young lads such as yourself. You see, it all starts at the top... and our top is our QB, as he goes, so do the Skins.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"What's the difference between a tender and contract?"

A tender is a contract offer that gives the team certain rights to the player. They also count against the cap even if the player hasn't signed the tender (if they go elsewhere, that cap money comes off free of a hit).

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Man I wish we had that 2nd rounder right about now.

We badly need a starter at SLB, RT and DE, and we'll only fill one of those, assuming the first round pick doesn't suck like last year's 2nd rounders.

This team will never be consistently good under Danny.

Posted by: smutsboy | March 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW...what the hell is wrong with the FO...why are we chasing 36 year old mediocre players, this is garbage. If we have young talent on the roster, but we dont trust them, why did we draft them, why do we pay them, this is getting ridiculous.

Is Daniels better than: Engelberger, Bertrand Berry, V. Holiday, Kevin Carter or others that are still available, probably would eat a D-bag to get a minimum offer, why are we sticking with stale people or not letting our youngsters play????

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru= Peter Griffin

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree that sometimes people fumble while trying to advance the ball, but that's NOT always Jason Campbell's fault. Sometimes their hands are tired. Is it JC's fault they have tired hands???? NOOOOO!!! They need to do better hand training in the offseason. If they're hands are tired they are more likely to fumble. Now if JC throws the ball too hard and it hurts the hands or makes them tired then it is JC's fault. But not everything

----------------

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgr007 | March 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

sports_guru = Byron Leftwich

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:12 PM
--------------------------------
As long as it wasn't Jason Campbell!

;-)

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Ryp, it's hard to ignore Guru whens he says stupid stuff about Campbell...fan outrage? Sure, about the condition of the O-line. Lack of another impact receiver. A linebacker.... but "outrage" over the QB? Just not seeing/hearing that.

Guru is one of those who guys never, ever played any sport of any type. Probably couldn't even make it in the marching band. He was the guy who got a letter jacket for being waterboy or "video tech"...

Posted by: outsider6 | March 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Taken and available DE's left on the market, some are wrong, but I think there is better stuff out there then Daniels for the same price:

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

mhartz, I think that given Daniels knowledge of the defense, and what should be a vet minimum contract, is why they're going after him.

Who is the Thompson guy from GB that someone is suggesting??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"yp, it's hard to ignore Guru whens he says stupid stuff "

No its not. I use the same technique I do for most of the posts up here.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgr007 | March 17, 2009 2:20 PM
------------------------------
jgr,

You make a very good point. I have to agree with you there.

Well played!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Nah psps, they gotta give him something more substantial like free office supplies.

Oh and, yeah, totally disagree about Manning's '04 being better than Brady's '07, like you know I would...

Rating? Manning: 121.1, Brady: 117.2

Yards? Manning: 4557, Brady: 4806

TDs/INTs? Manning: 49/10, Brady: 50/8

Comp/Att/Pct? Manning: 336/497/67.6, Brady: 398/578/68.9

Moss = Harrison; In their prime years....

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I dont see a Thompson on the list, especially no one from GB...I only see Michael Montgomery from GB, but I thought he signed somewhere already.

And I get that he knows the system, but how hard is it,really. All pro players should be able to pick up a system with a whole off-season.

All I am saying is that there are people that are available that dont have 14 years under the belt and lots of injuries. It seems to me that Vincenzo and Danny have made their purchases and then fell asleep til draft week.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

This is sad.

The only one who should be uncertain is Jason Campbell!

Let's not waste another season on this guy!

Sounds to me like your anger is being brought out on the guy on the team who has never complained once about anything and has taken all the changes in stride. I believe we saw in the beginning of the season what he can do with TIME in the pocket. I have been watching the Skins since 1972 and beleive that all the successfull QB's on the team had time to throw the ball, meaning they had a good OLINE.If you really watched the games last season you would see that everytime he stepped back in the pocket, he was pressured to throw, especiallyt toward the end of the season. But I can understand! I want the skins to win also, I think with a good OLINE and stronger defensive line, he will improve!!!

Posted by: brianhowery | March 17, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"yp, it's hard to ignore Guru whens he says stupid stuff "

No its not. I use the same technique I do for most of the posts up here.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 2:22 PM
--------------------------------------
....or you could use logic like jgr, and actually win a few points back.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I know this would be absolutely stupid but i am going to say it anyway just for the sake of jibba jabba

What if we traded our 1st round pick to the panthers for peppers and swithced to a 3-4. haynseworth, monty, and gholston are the d-lineman and the linebackers are peppers, blades, fletcher, and rocky mack.

thoughts and opinions?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 17, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

mhartz, thats who it was.

Due to work internet issues work blockage, can someone post what DE's are still out there??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Debating SG on RI is like kissing a ten dollar toothless hooker after she's had a busy night. Its just not a good idea.

Posted by: will_ga | March 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Blache is schooled in the 3-4 defense and we dont have enough cap room for Peppers, we apparently are also not on his list of teams he wants. I think he will be a Patriot, even though Carolina is denying, they have to for the collective bargaining agreement.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brianhowery | March 17, 2009 2:26 PM
-----------------------------
Brian,

I am not sure that an above average offensive line, can make up for below average football intelligence.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

So, those one year deals you give RFAs on Madden in the offseason before re-signing your players are tenders?

Never knew, 'preciate the knowledge boost, psps.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

MORE INFO FROM THE BEST RESKINS BLOG IN TOWN:

Redskins cut Matt Sinclair

Redskins 360 (View Blog)
POSTED March 17 2009 2:20 PM BY David Elfin Print

Wearing a green shirt on St. Patrick's Day didn't give Matt Sinclair the luck of the Irish.

The Redskins just cut the linebacker despite their shortage of bodies at the position with Marcus Washington having been cut and Khary Campbell still a free agent. After making a good impression in his first NFL action for Washington in December 2007, Sinclair hurt his back in training camp last summer and spent 2008 on injured reserve.

"They didn't really give me a reason, but it's the NFL," the 26-year-old Sinclair said while carrying his possessions on the way out of Redskin Park. "I really enjoyed being a Redskin, but it's a business. I'm going to try to make it somewhere else."

- David Elfin

Posted by: eauzmendi | March 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree we need a better offensive line. It's like the carrot and the stick. Maybe the line needs some more carrots. I don't think Jason Campbell needs any more sticks. He probably doesn't like and it makes him sad.

---------

Posted by: jgr007 | March 17, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

J. McDougle, S. Bowen, M. Montgomery, E. Cochran, J. Thomas, O. Grigsby, E. Ekuban, V. Adeyanje, R.Colvin, K. Edwards, J. Taylor, V. Holliday, K. Carter, B. Berry, J. Engelberger and A. Weaver

Out of that list I think 2-3 are gone, but Scout has them still listed.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

dear phil,
you were a very solid player for us, but you're old and coming off of an ACL tear. lets be honest. do you claim, like every other pro athelete, to understand the business? WHO INVESTS IN THE PAST, dummy! Well other than Dan Snyder, but you have to be a HOFer to get that ridiculous $$$. If you want the redskins to invest in the past, i want you to invest in my stash of betamax!

You can come back at minimum, make another million and be glad that you NEVER have to work again for the rest of your life. you're welcome!

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

WOW....

Daniels using the Post to leverage for more money knowing WE ARE HIS ONLY OPTION.

Way to carry the water just for an exclusive interview.....

Daniels has been paid very well during his time here. I'm sure his vet min is close to $1 Mil........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"But I won't leave my family for what they're offering me. I'm sure about that."

The vet minimum is close to a million right? For a million buck, why not rent a place here and bring your family with you! My wife would move to the middle of the desert if I was going to make a million buck for a years work.

Posted by: chaos47 | March 17, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What about Erasmus James?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Daniels is holding out for a job as an AIG exec.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 17, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"I just feel that he puts too much pressure on his line, because he isn't intelligent enough to read defenses, make it through his progressions, and fire the ball down field.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:29 PM"

Guru,

What is this intelligence you speak of?
Stop feeling and start thinking!
I know your butthurt over JC17 not reading your favorite children book.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Matt! You were an easy guy to root for. I hope he can make somebody's roster this summer.

Posted by: will_ga | March 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, did you get that list I posted, those are the available DE's still left in FA. There seems to be a healthy choice or capable individuals and some that are only 4 years in the league, again this seems ridiculous to me that we even care about this jack a$$. Team leader or no leader, get the best available person who wants to play and win, not accept another check for one more year. Nothins has been said that he is 100% healthy, just that he is on schedule, NO SENSE!

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The leak came roughly about 1 hour ago. Negotiations between Cutler’s agent, Pat Bowlen, Daniel Snyder, and the Cleveland Browns management have been ongoing for a few days and all sides seem to be happy.

The deal would see Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler and Cleveland’s 3rd round pick going to Washington.

Jason Campbell and Chris Cooley Going to Cleveland and one of Denver’s 5th round picks.

This was posted on Redskins.com Message board.....this better be fake.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | March 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

mh, yeah, saw the list, thank you, not a lot to write home about, but if Phillip don't want to be here, then time to move on....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well I, for one, was wrong about Matt Sinclair vying for the SAM LB.

Tyson Smith! Hurray!

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Clearly they are waiting to see what happens in the draft ... all teams are. Depending on what transpires EVERY TEAM will likely begin revisiting signing the remaining free agents that are out there. The Redskins aren't any different from anyone else in that respect.

They hope they will still be able to sign a Washington and perhaps Philips.

If I were Skins management I would trade draft picks next year (Looks like a tough year salary cap wise!!!) for guys they need now hoping to develop them over the next 3. This is not a strategy I necessary espouse ... but its the path they've taken when they signed Haynesworth and Hall.

The ONLY WAY they will be able to find the supporting cast they will need will have to be through the draft.

Beyond determining the future of guys like Campbell and Rogers ... they have to figure out how they will compete with what will likely be vastly improved Giants and (probably) Eagles teams. Those are 4 critical GAMES out of 16!
And then there's Dallas who seems to be at about the same place more or less. With 3 additional draft picks Dallas may have the advantage.

ON paper they don't seem to be even close.

They probably are going to need a featured running back soon. They won't be able to consider getting rid of Clinton Portis until 2011. Its definitely a problem.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

We've said it before and will say it again: Vonnie Holiday can still play.

Is he availiable?

Daniels sounds like it hasn't occurred to him that his one last ride on the redskins' carousel left him with a bum knee and an, "I'm worth more than that...," attitude.

If I'm him, I sit tight and entertain as many offers as possible--that is, if he has any.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The Skins only have enough cap space available for one free agent signing that is over the minimum and probably less than 2 mil/yr. That is why they want Washington and Daniels back at the minimum.

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Rating? Manning: 121.1, Brady: 117.2

Yards? Manning: 4557, Brady: 4806

TDs/INTs? Manning: 49/10, Brady: 50/8

Comp/Att/Pct? Manning: 336/497/67.6, Brady: 398/578/68.9

Moss = Harrison; In their prime years....

Posted by: RedDMV

=============

This is an underrated stat when comparing the two.

Pass Attempts:
Jim Sorgi (2004) - 29
Matt Cassel + Matt Gutierrez (2007) - 8

Manning sat out the equivalent of nearly an entire game because Indy was blowing people out. Brady, not so much. Belichick had him in there crushing souls even after teams had given up trying.

Had Dungy opted not to rest Manning so much (which was a mistake in itself in the last week of the season) Manning would have almost certainly surpassed Brady's marks. As it stands, Manning threw less passes and had a higher passer rating. Brady had the benefit of lofting balls to Randy Moss in triple coverage and letting Moss beat everyone to it. As good as Harrison was, he could never come close to comparing to that.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"This is unconfirmed, however an inside source says a trade that will bring Jay Cutler to Washington is almost complete.

Brady Quinn going from Cleveland to Denver and LaRon Landry from Washington will be going to Denver. And we thought that the Bailey-Portis trade was big. Our source says that teams will announce the deal at 5pm this evening...This was posted on Redskins.com Message board.....this better be fake.
Posted by: jjwilson312003 | March 17, 2009 2:43 PM."

That sounds like a horrible JJ Abrams television series.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

jjwilson, one of the biggest frauds/idiots on this board, where ya been?? Wait lemme guess, off making 6 figures like you told us you made....moron, go hold your breath with guzu,

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If any Cutler deal like that goes through where he comes to the Redskins Snidely ought to be tarred and feathered and driven out of town.

Didn't he learn from Jeff George?

He needs to stop listening to agents and listen to the professionals he has hired to coach the team.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

We are all dumber for reading that "scenario."

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Mista, I like V. Holliday - think he has some left in his tank.

Someone please tell me that trade to Cleveland and Denver is bunk.

I cant see us getting rid of Campbell, Cooley and Landry for Cutler and Sheffler - What???

We can not afford to lose Landry? SO I think it is bunk.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru= Peter Griffin

Posted by: GreatOne1

Peter Griffin is much more fun to listen to than Sports Guru. What's is the deal with this guy? Am I wrong to wonder if it's a race issue he has?

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

jj, I hope you're not that gullible...

BUT, the 'skins would pick up Cutler, Scheffler, a 3rd, and a 5th - for Campbell, Landry, Cooley... wait...

That latter part is just all the way stupid

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"Wynn essentially replaced Evans. He's still a solid player, already knows the defensive system, and is only 4 yrs older than Evans (but 2mil cheaper/yr)...

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009"

Also 2 years younger than Philips. An underachieving 1st rounder, while Philips was an overachieving 3rd rounder. He has had 2 years to recover from injuries and get himself in decent shape. Philips has a plethora of injuries.

Good value for the price compared to his past contract.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"Am I wrong to wonder if it's a race issue he has"

ding, ding, ding.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

People... JJwilson is a prankster....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Am I wrong to wonder if it's a race issue he has?

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 2:49 PM

For the love of God, YES! Totally, you're WRONG! DON'T ever think that crazy paranoid junk right there.

What's the matter with you?

Don't you know that crap doesn't exist anymore? Like Unicorns and little greeen dudes, foregin or domestic.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

This was posted on Redskins.com Message board.....this better be fake.

That trade could never happen, trading
Cooley alone would kill our cap. And why the hell would we include Landry? Im calling bs on this one lol...

Posted by: ezdoesit74 | March 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Daniels than Wynn.

Just IMO.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

chris cooley will never be traded away... who ever posted that is an idiot. not only is he one of the best tight ends in football, but he is a fan favorite who makes money for the team.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Depending on the draft there might be others they could release to help the cap space.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Daniels hesitation might cost him the opportunity to play for the Skins this year. I really doubt any other team is going to make him an offer given his age and recent injury history.

He should have learned from Springs -- who lost 5 mil/yr by not renegotiating his contract. [He's making 3 mil/yr with the Patriots vs. 8 mil/yr with the Skins)and will be 37 when the contract is up.

Sinclair lost his backup SLB spot to Fincher.

The Skins will probably draft another DE with one of their picks... At this point they may have to draft for need with major holes at SLB, LDE, C/G, and RT...

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

'...What about Erasmus James...'

What about E&J?

On ice...

...that would be nice.

Especially after reading jjwilson's 'Cutler trade' post...'cuz if that's true.....oh, well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 17, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

On that list, PDaniels was rated higher (10th) than either Ohshansky (12th) or DEvans (14th). So Daniels is still considered a good DE. I believe he was the strongest guy on the team last year.

Having said all that, I don't think he is worth more than the vet minimum after having the injury he had last year. After all, we are in a recession. I wouldn't even offer him an extra ham sandwich.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 17, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Daniels than Wynn.

Just IMO.

Posted by: matthewvickers

I think we can all agree on that........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Free discussion board Beantown Greg; deal with it! Go cheer on the Patriots.... dumbass. Of course its fake, it's idiots like you who fall for this stuff. Isn't it time for your mail run.

Bye Greg, nice hearing from you again.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | March 17, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

anyone know what the deal is with Shaffer from the Browns? Is he still available and how much does he cost? He seems to be a great option, if affordable...i will look up his stats.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Siris,

I know Fincher has played the SAM LB spot some, but I figured he'd be rotating with McIntoish at WS LB? I do like Fincher, though.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

idiocy, thy name is jjwilson.

Anyway, Shaffer, I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of his release....surprised that someone hasn't picked him up yet....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"+++...I don't know what he's complaining about.

Posted by: BeantownGreg +++

Check with Dylan Thomas

Pretty obvious Daniels is raging against the dying of the light...

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

+++What's the difference between a tender and contract?

Posted by: RedDMV+++

KFC doesn't offer Chicken Contracts.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we're going to make a play for Crowell, soon. Five LBs on the current roster.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

From Warpath:

"Other Ways to Reduce the Cap Number:
·Cut or trade Casey Rabach (clear another $2.3 million)
·Cut or trade James Thrash (clear another $0.85 million)"

So, one can see where they may be thinking along the lines of a tackle and a starting center like an Unger or a Mack and a backup.

Perhaps trading Rabach for draft picks?

It seems almost certain, that given the right circumstances they will trade for more and hopefully higher picks.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

They are holding my post, too long, but it shows that K. Shaffer was a pretty big beast with Cleveland last year, dont know what the deal is? Did not allow alot of sacks, hopefully his bio will post soon to read over, looks strong and only 7 years in the league and can play both RT and RG.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Bye Greg, nice hearing from you again.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | March 17, 2009 2:59 PM

It is still fake....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"I'd rather have Daniels than Wynn.

Just IMO.

Posted by: matthewvickers

I think we can all agree on that........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009"

As a run stopping **backup** Wynn is cheaper, healthier and better in a rotation.

As a starter Philips is better ... would you want a starter who is 36 with his health problems?

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru... You are an Idiot!!!

Jason Campbell is not the problem... Old offensive line, and receivers that cannot get open except for Moss was the real problem. Unfortunately other than Dockery, we can only hope that the two young receivers mature this season into NFL WRs.

11-5 babyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | March 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm pissed about D. Thomas & M. Kelly being no shows on the first day offseason workouts. Portis is there, but no WRs?

Beep

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Bye Greg, nice hearing from you again.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | March 17, 2009 2:59 PM

It is still fake....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Is this the infamous "Redskin's Insider" that JLC is always referring to????

Posted by: Soup17 | March 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"If the Redskins make any trades its going to be for draft picks not quarterbacks. I suspect they would have gone ahead and signed Byron Leftwich if they had the cap space."

The worst part of the Redskins signing Leftwich would be that we'd have to hear rants from Sports Guru about how dumb Leftwich is, since he seems to have an issue with black quarterbacks.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

They cut Sinclair? They are definitely planning on acquiring more draft picks. Have to suspect they pretty much already have a deal in place.

Have to think Casey Rabach and Thrash are in the works to be released ...

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

This was posted on Redskins.com Message board.....this better be fake.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | March 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

This is Laughable... at best

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

ALSO pissed that WR did not show up, they need more work than anyone.

BTW: Shaffer gave up 24 sacks last year and was due 3.5M in salary, so that is probably why we cant go after him, too expensive, who knows.

I like Crowell and would like to see us make a play for him as well.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Bye Greg, nice hearing from you again.

So FAKE! if it were true, Mike Florio over at PFT would have run with it already. he runs with anything no matter how likly the truth is.

Besides, people need to understand that TRADING a guy like cooley would hit us with a massive cap hit (since trading and cutting do the same thing in regard to the cap). so it would be impossible to do that after cooley just signed the extension with a big bonus that would accelerate and hit us this year. it's not possible.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Cutting Rabach makes no sense, we dont have another Center to play back up, so who would we turn to a ROOKIE, I dont think so. They are not bringing back Geisinger either, I dont see how this would work for us.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

did anyone else pick up on this qoute from the post...

"But Vinny never clarified who the starter would be," Daniels said. "Every time I asked him, he said he envisioned a rotation with me and Renaldo"

...why is Vinny flapping his gums about this - Isn't this up to Blache/Zorn?

Posted by: forever21 | March 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, why pickup Cutler Zorn will just frustrate him and he will want to leave. Zorn is a QB coach, how coachable is Cutler. I think Campbell can be groomed to play very well in this system. Campbell in my opinion can take criticism well, I'm not to sure about Cutler. This is not the town for a punk QB like Cutler.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Brian,

Guru,
Point well taken, but one thing is for sure and that over the past 15 years I have been telling myself and every other skin fan I know that this is going to be the year. This year will HAVE to be the year because of JC's contract situation and upgrade on the line and possible big time OL pick. If he DOESNT have a good year the truth will be out. My question would be WHAT THE HECK (POLITICALLY CORRECT)DO THE SKINS DO AT THAT POSITION NEXT YEAR!!!!I do not see any of our back ups stepping up and being the man at this time.

Posted by: brianhowery | March 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nicefellow31 | March 17, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Other possible "release" candidates ...

If they draft a kicker and release Suisham they would get back $1,010,000.

They could release TE Todd Yoder, OL's Will Montgomery, and Batise and save close to $2,000,000. One can readily see where Fred Davis "stepping up" would have helped the situation.

Rock Cartwright is another unfortunate possibility that could give them more room with another $800,000.

Those have to almost be considered serious possibilities.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru is a kid. He must be taking a break at school.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Fincher was the backup SLB and Campbell was the backup WLB.

I think Crowell had more injury issues than Washington. So, I doubt the Skins would try to sign him...

I thought Trash was done last year. They will probably keep him through training camp, but I'd be surprised if he makes the team.

Rabach is the starting center and play caller on the o-line. He is the only center on the team and would cost 3.6 mil in dead cap space to cut. He's not going anywhere. Any problems last year were primarily caused by trying to compensate for injured guards and tackles. He did have occasional trouble blocking huge bull rushing NTs (like the Brown's 350lb Rogers), but who doesn't...

Posted by: siris | March 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

...why is Vinny flapping his gums about this - Isn't this up to Blache/Zorn?

Posted by: forever21 | March 17, 2009"

NO, its up to Snidely Owl. And he would not want to bring in a 36 year old who was injured almost all of last year given his statements about wanting to only pay those type of salaries for youth.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Rabach is the starting center and play caller on the o-line. He is the only center on the team and would cost 3.6 mil in dead cap space to cut. He's not going anywhere."

That's incorrect. His release fee is around 1 million his total is around 5 million for this year's contract.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm just not convinced JC is the problem given how good he looked when we were 6-2 and he had no picks. The season turned south after the O-line melt down, injuries to Portis, and Santana operating at 80% (That's a what? 5' 9" 175 WR at 80%? - not gonna scare anybody with that...) ARE hasn't produced squat, he's pretty much proven he's a #3 WR and a gadget guy.

Yeah, he held the ball sometimes, but was anybody open? The bigger problem was that far too many times he was getting pressured by a defender before he had even completed his drop and got his feet set.

Bigger better O-line = more yards for Portis, more time and yards for JC, more wins.

If he can't step it up this season, then we should move on. Same goes for a couple of guys, like ARE.

Also, Jansen is a back-up center right? Can he play guard? He's such a good run blocker... Just wondering.

Posted by: edvar | March 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Is this Jay cutler trade rumor being started by the same guy who's "cousin" waited on TO and his agent at that restaurant in DC?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is it not ALARMING that Wynn is a Redskin again and looking to start??!! What??? He shouldn't have been starting 4 year ago and he shouldn't start today, for any team. Let's keep signing high priced free agents and neglect most other positions. 7-9, 8-8, here we come. The Danny and The Vinnie show! Pathetic!

Posted by: matthewrayman | March 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I think it works best if you have both Wynn and Daniels and rotate them at LDE with Daniels also playing some tackle if somebody gets hurt. Wouldn't bode well for Lo Alexander's future, however.

Still, that's a lot of old guys for one line, and increases the risk.

Which takes us back to the #13 draft choice. Still need a young pass rusher, preferably from the LB position. Hope there's one who can be rationalized as the best player on the board (there are always four or five guys who meet that standard, and the GM picks one and pretends he was the only choice all along,)

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Can we all agree to let this stupid Cutler talk die.

Cutler to NFC NORTH or NYJ. over!

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Then why don't Jacksonville Keep him? I'll tell you why, because none of what you said is true. He is a 6"6' Drug Addict. Anyone who uses drugs cannot be a superior athlete. They can't even maximize there own talents, trust me I know first hand.Posted by: 15600_sknfan"

OK, this is really a two part question.

Why didn't Jacksonville keep him? Because he burnt that particular bridge but good. The coaches were tired of him, the fans were tired of him, the owner was tired of him... you can't wear out your welcome any more thoroughly than he did.

That's why he's on the market. Even Randy Moss or TO aren't as big a gamble.

Second: although drug use certainly detracts from performance, its effects are on athletic ability are often hard to detect. There are a zillion examples, from Hollywood Henderson to Cris Carter to Len Bias -- heck, all the way back to Babe Ruth if you include alcohol.

Anc cocaine isn't a drug known for lasting physical damage. Most of the medical effects are related to loss of appetite, poor sleep patterns, and cardiac stress. Those are the sort of things that turn up on a physical. It's entirely possible that a summer drug-free could restore Jones to something resembling peak condition.

So the big gamble is his drug use. Is he in recovery, or not?

That's what clauses in contracts are all about.

Should the Skins sign him? Not my call. But you can be they've considered it.
Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

As a Drug user, just using drugs distract you from everything and if he can't understand that there are people out here who would love to make even $6 bucks an hour and he on the other hand has the opportunity to make millions, he should just go get cracked out somewhere because if he cannot make good decisions he doesn't deserve to play for anyone. And trust me he is not what he could be which is why he is not playing. Drug use will destroy you, sure you can get buy but.... lets look at it like this, Carter wasn't good until he matured, Bias I allegedly only used drugs one (and Died), not sure who Holloywood is, and Ruth he was special but you can see how drugs ended his career. All I'm saying is if your using drugs go use drugs but as a fan paying to see professional athletes I want to see football players play not dug addicts. He can play a little bit but to be honest not good enough to go to any team at this point. Not even Jacksonville. Hes a drug addict.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"Why does every discussion about anybody associated with the Redskins turn into a discussion on Jason Campbell? Jeez!"

It's a quarterback-driven league. All the best teams have studs playing qb. Anybody remember what it was like for Eli Manning until he won the SB? People still gripe about his numbers (and the way his passes float in the wind), but he can still tell everyone to kiss the ring. Until Campbell shows us, it'll be the same (it's not fair, but that's the way it is in the NFL).

Posted by: mrsaun | March 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

If I were the GM he would be. Cooley is a beast but he is not the franchise. He is a tight end. In my opinion, tight end are important but they shouldn't be paid like WR.

The Redskins can get a first round pick for Cooley. they can get a high number first round pick for Cooley for the simple fact that teams don't want to pay for high priced rookies. I wouldn't be suprised if a team gave up a player and something like a player and 2 picks for him. We have Davis, to be honest Cooley is expendable. And so is Betts, we could even get a good pick for him I would say as high as a fourth rounder.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

What's up fans. This is Phillip Daniels. Jason tends to add things and leave things out on all his articles. lol I talked to coach Blache today and I told him I was in between helping my son who is a sophomore in high school who could be a top player in his senior year fulfill his dreams or coming back and playing my 14th season. I told him that I need to weigh my options and he don't fault me for putting my family first. I have also received a coaching offer by my son's high school which would help me be hands on in the process. I am considering both opportunities and being a 13 year vet, I have to make sure things at home is taken care of first. My family wants me to play so I am considering returning. Remember the saying, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Well that's what you got to do with articles on the internet or in the papers because they rarely tell the whole truth. I think Albert is a great addition and that the Skins have a really good chance of winning the Superbowl next season. I will make my decision soon so everyone can move forward. Be safe.

Posted by: thatboyphil93 | March 17, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell should be cut, this guy plays like he is in slow motion All The Time, I do not this he is a starter for any NFL team, maybe a back-up, or third, PLEASE uncle danny get up and smell the roses and get us a amazing QB!

Posted by: fu1123 | March 17, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse