Darrell Green turns 50 with a burst of speed

What's the best way to celebrate turning 50? Stuffing your face full of cake and washing it down with a microbrew? Warning your loved ones not to hug your brittle bones too tightly? Making out a will?

Not if you're Darrell Green, the Redskins' Pro Football Hall of Famer who was known for his energy and age-defying speed (he won the NFL's Fastest Man competition four times) when he played. He turned 50 Monday and, apparently, hasn't lost much of a step since his retirement after the 2002 season.

He told the story of his celebration on Twitter (@darrellgreen28):

Quick update from the Birthday Boy :) I think today I became the fastest 50 year old in the world! @9AM today, I celebrated my 50th BDay.....

By running the 40 yard dash in Orlando, Florida in a time of 4.43! FYI, all born between 1946 -1964 are baby boomers...

I'm guessing that makes me the fastest baby boomer! I would say, thats really booming. Are you?

By Cindy Boren  |  February 15, 2010; 3:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Medlock signed to challenge Gano for place kicking dutites
Next: Kelly encouraged by conversation with Shanahan

Comments

cool.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 15, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

50 and still faster than most dudes in the NFL.

Must be nice.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 15, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

FOUR FOUR THREE!?!?!??!

WTF!

Man, sign the homie Darrell to play opposite of Hall...

NOW!

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sign him up for a 2 year contract. He could easily play nickle.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | February 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

thats tubular...haha red...

wow, thats, you can't teach God-given speed that he has....wow...

red, last 10 laps took about 2 hours...almost unwatchable...jr. did make a CHARGE up the gut however...reminded me of his daddy..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

beeps again

J. Reid's been saving posts for end of the day

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 15, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

At least see'll if he come back as KR specialist... For real.

I bet Darrell Green can take one to the house in a live/real NFL game.

That'll be worthy of some national media coverage, and they'll all be laughing until they hear: "Oh, Green at the 40, 45, 50, 45, 30..."... multiple times.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Suite him up again in the burgundy and gold we could use him. Would be a good role model too for the younger guys to learn from.

Posted by: rmilton | February 15, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

First reaction was that I couldn't believe he was already 50.

Second was remembering that he played until he was 42.

Third was that he's still hella fast. Man, he's got some God-given gifts.

Posted by: WorstSeat | February 15, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

FOUR FOUR THREE!?!?!??!

WTF!

Man, sign the homie Darrell to play opposite of Hall...

NOW!

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse
______________

That's just sick. That faster than 99% of us here could run in our in-shape days, including me.

Surely he could still run a few punts back.....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 15, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

FOUR FOUR THREE!?!?!??!

WTF!

Man, sign the homie Darrell to play opposite of Hall...

NOW!

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse
______________

That's just sick. That's faster than 99% of us here could run in our in-shape days, including me.

Surely he could still run a few punts back.....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 15, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Sign him to return punts or something. They need that guy.

Posted by: periculum | February 15, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

DG has still got it. He is one for the record books. I hope he is happy in his retirement and best of luck to him in the future in whatever endeavors he pursues. Thanks for all the years, DG.

Posted by: Blueslegend | February 15, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I love Darrell Green, but there is no way that at age 50 he actually ran a 4.43 40; that would make him faster than nearly everyone on the Redskins current roster.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 15, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nrjlh | February 15, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse
=========================================
There's no doubt in my mind that he ran that speed. Carl Lewis still runs the 100 meters in world class speed. Nolan Ryan can still throw a 90 mph fast ball. George Forman could probably knock most the guys in his weight class out. There are just certain people with God given talent that we can't put in a box a say well because you're this age you have to be slow.

Now that being said, when DG runs the 40 its just straight ahead. There's no cutting or moving laterally involved. Those are the things that he did lose in the last years he played.

Posted by: clark202 | February 16, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Green is a lot of things, but liar is not one of them. If he said he ran a 4.43-40 and fifty people said they saw him and he didn't run that fast- I'm believing Mr. Green. This man has always been professionalism and integrity personified.

Posted by: rld333 | February 16, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

If Darrell said he ran it, he ran it. There has never been a redskin with more class and dignity than that man. Anyone who doubts that, is not a Washingtonian.

Posted by: tony28 | February 17, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Putting aside a very pro-Darrell mindset, I can't even hallucinate a reason where DG he makes something like this up.

That said, Dara Torres won an Olympic medal against competition roughly half her age, so I completely believe it's possible and that he did it. The phenomenal thing to me is that Torres adhered to a strict regimen and an army of trainers and staff when she did it. Darrell probably just rolled out of bed, prayed, stretched, broke it off, hit the showers and played with his kids.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 17, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED HE RAN A 4.02 FORTY! THE FASTEST EVER RUN BY ANYONE!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 17, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rld333 | February 16, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not suggesting Darrell Green is a liar or lacking in integrity, but I have to believe that "liberal" timing procedures and perhaps a slow start and quick finish on the old stop watch were involved in the time that Darrell reported. I repeat: there is no way that anyone (even one as amazing as DG--who ran a 4.24 at age 40) can run a 4.43 40 at age 50.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 17, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rld333 | February 16, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nrjlh | February 17, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I was the strength coach for the Redskins from 1982-2000. At the start of mini-camp when Darrell was 37 years old I timed the entire team in the 40-yard dash. D Green ran a 4.45 electric 40 and a 4.29 hand held by the scouts. I live in Houston and periodically get to see Darrell when he visits. He keeps himself in great shape and there is no doubt in my mind that he is still capable of running. Happy birthday D Green.
Dan Riley
Hail
Go Skins

Posted by: riley1019 | February 19, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Dan Riley
Hail
Go Skins

Thanks, Dan; interesting post. However, I think it kind of proves my point: if Darrell ran a 4.45 electrict 13 years ago, there is no way that he ran a 4.43 (even an ACCURATE hand timed 4.43) thirteen years later.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 19, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I love Darrell Green.
He was class, he was fast, and he was not afraid to come up and play the run, [like you know who]

I believe Darrell believes he ran a 4.43
I believe he was told he ran a 4.43
But I seriously doubt Darrell ran below 4.55.
He is 50, and if Darrell had run a 5.0 it would in no way diminish what he did as a HOF Skin!!
HTTR!