Davis Hopes to Draw Notice for His Play

It did not take long for tight end Fred Davis to get noticed last year. During the Washington Redskins' minicamp in May, Davis was conspicuous by his absence after oversleeping and missing practice only a few days into his NFL career.

This summer, and in the fall, Davis is hoping to create a buzz for his play on the field.
"What I plan on doing is at least getting on the field in special teams, definitely, and on the field with whatever they give me," Davis said. "I know for sure I'm going to play a lot."

Davis, who won the Mackey Award as the best collegiate tight end in 2007, said he is still working to improve his technique, especially as a blocker. But he said he is more comfortable with the offense.

"Most of the stuff I know," Davis said. "Now it's just playing fast and executing."
In a drill Thursday during organized team activities, Davis beat safety Reed Doughty and hauled in a nicely placed touchdown pass from quarterback Colt Brennan in the corner of the end zone. Davis punctuated the catch by jumping in the air and spiking the ball between his legs.

Asked what he learned in his rookie season, Davis said: "Just being here every day, working hard. Basically USC taught me most of this stuff anyway, just being able to come in, not be tired, learn the film, get the extra work in."

By Mark Viera  |  June 4, 2009; 5:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts Back on Track
Next: Wynn: Camaraderie Counts, Too

Comments

Doughty voluntarily getting burned.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Brennan to Davis through Doughty. Nothing to see here, folks, move along. Still, thinking about JV football makes me nostalgic.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

$30 buck says Landry makes it to next week's OTAs. I am fine with him not working out. I am just not fine with him 'returning the HC's phone call' in the same manner I was upset with ST21 not returning Gibbs 2.2's phone call......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why have we yet to move Davis to H-Back so he can be of more use?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Also, Davis will replace Cooley once his contract numbers get out of whack in about 3 years......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Zorn got rid of the H-Back...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Landry...

There simply isn't any justifiable reason you blow off the coach, other than the cat, and his crew, can't get to the phone.

It's totally disrespectful and becomes just another unnecessary distraction. Yep, the OTA's are voluntary but not returning calls or sending a text to your boss is "Bush league saga stuff. Laughable man" as Jesus Santana so eloquently put it.

Posted by: BigDeck | June 4, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Jameer Nelson active for tonight. Now if only Malcolm Kelly could recover from an injury so quickly...

Posted by: will_ga | June 4, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

MK12 was active many times too, but didn't always play...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Bush league saga stuff. Laughable man" as Jesus Santana so eloquently put it.

Posted by: BigDeck

"I see you roll your way into the Semi's.............Dios Mio Man"

LMFAO...

__________

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 4, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Asked what he learned in his rookie season, Davis said: "Just being here every day, working hard, setting alarm clocks"

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 4, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

USC taught you all of that anyways? Did they teach you how to set an alarm clock? Apparently not. Just another punk who thinks he's hot sh*t but isn't willing to put the time in to get any better than his natural abilities. This guy has B-U-S-T written all over him.

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | June 4, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I bet Landry is either on vacation or changed his phone number. I seriously doubt he's irresponsible to the degree that he would not call back his coaches...

Posted by: siris | June 4, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | June 4, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Gee...maybe we could leave the venom spewing to Animal Planet for just a bit longer. Give him to midseason before piling on the hate. Or at least see how he does in camp.

Posted by: will_ga | June 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"A second-year player from the University of Southern California, Davis is unlikely to displace starter Chris Cooley, who has been to two consecutive Pro Bowls. Davis caught only three passes for 27 yards as Cooley's backup last season."

So tell me again why we used a #2 pick on a guy who isn't likely to start for this team ... ever?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis needs to bust his butt, learn the plays, execute and play fast, get on the field and use his perceived speed, and athleticism to make plays and give this offense another weapon. Come on Fred lets do this!!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Big Deck, The Jesus' last name is Quintana.

[The Dude: "Say what you will, the fckuer can roll."
Walter: "Pederast, Dude."]

I often call my wife on her cell phone. Most of the time, she has forgotten to turn it on ... or, after I scold her about that, she has left it on and the battery has worn down.

I heart Landry so I am in major excuses mode on this.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Big Deck, The Jesus' last name is Quintana.

[The Dude: "Say what you will, the fckuer can roll."
Walter: "Pederast, Dude."]
Posted by: dcsween

"...and pull the mother f*&^%$# trigger till' it goes CLICK"

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 4, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Given the short yardage/keep the defense on the field passing game that Zorn seemed to be calling, plus the trend throughout the NFL (am I the only one who noticed this?) for a fairly open gap in the short center of the field, I sense plenty of 2 TE sets (esp. given how Cooley was essentially the #2 WR anyway, who already had to get called into chip blocking b/c of weakness at the RT spot).

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

The Jesus just had a way with words...

Posted by: BigDeck | June 4, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | June 4, 2009 5:34 PM |

Irresponsible, no. Arrogant, yes. You can bet that if the Redskins were trying to renegotiate his contract that he wouldn't "be on vacation or have changed his phone number."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 4, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

jmicrodoc, "you pull that piece on me? I will tageidaway from you ..."

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

My bad....Skins...Santana....Quintana....major blunder....meant no disrespect to either cat.

Posted by: BigDeck | June 4, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

OVER THE LINE, SPARKY!

MARK IT A ZERO!

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Laron is one of my favorite players...but not showing up for OTAs, like last year, cann result in the following:

1) You could possibly miss pre-season games due to minor injuries (like last year)

2) You could possibly get trucked by a 500 pound running back in your second quarter of play in front of the whole world to see...because you weren't in game shape from missing OTAs and the Pre-Season...during Prime Time...Thursday Night...the first game of the year...when everyone knows that if Sean made that same play...he would have blown Jacobs into oblivion.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 4, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

BigDeck, I'm certain that The Jesus and The Santana would feel no disrespect.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Excuse 1:
Landry forgot to set his calendar

Excuse 2:
Landry forgot to move and is currently running across the country in his suit (a la Conan)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Thats actually untrue. I did the math and posted the #s yesterday. The teams average years of experience in the NFL is 4.24 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Does this average include a number of young players who will likely end up on the practice squad?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | June 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

BigDeck, I'm certain that The Jesus and The Santana would feel no disrespect.

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"...Well, like, that's just your opinion, man"

BigDeck is out...Pick up the phone Landry!

Posted by: BigDeck | June 4, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"Davis punctuated the catch by jumping in the air and spiking the ball between his legs."

He better not pull that off in the regular season

Posted by: erleach | June 4, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Great interview with local product and current SF Giants SS Manny Burriss over at the Bog:

Money quote:

"What about the Skins?

Oh yeah, I love the Skins man. That was my team too. That still is my team. I'm a die-hard Redskins fan. Whenever people start talking about football, I pretty much leave the room, because I'm gonna lose it if somebody starts talking bad about the Redskins. I mean, everybody always has something bad to say about the Redskins."

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:37 PM |

dude...she's having an affair

Posted by: dexter72 | June 4, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that if my boss called me, I would call him back, whether I had to or not.

Why do atheletes put themselves in this situation to be criticized. At least call Z-man back!

Posted by: rickyroge | June 4, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully there will be more plays this year with Davis on the field and Sellers on the bench. Gotta get your best players on the field.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 4, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna lose it if somebody starts talking bad about the Redskins.

Posted by: chrislarry

With you, CL. My newly produced t-shirt for next season:

Woe to thee who speaketh unkindly of the Redskins, for he shall suffer the wrath of Rob (and a size 13, high velocity, rectal insertion).
-The Gospel...according to Rob

Posted by: tripz | June 4, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Tripz, while I agree, the quote was SS manny Burriss of the SF Giants....

just for the sake of accuracy...

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why have we yet to move Davis to H-Back so he can be of more use?
Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009

Maybe that's because he is the "natural" tight end. An excellent blocker with soft hands and long reach.

Cooley is a terrible blocker ... but a good pass catcher, the more natural "H-back". In point-of-fact the smaller Cooley has described himself as such. And he was drafted during Gibbs 2.0.

Given the OL woes I do hope Davis works hard and ends up starting at tight end with Cooley lining up as the H-back.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:37 PM

dude...she's having an affair
Posted by: dexter72 | June 4, 2009

Seriously 'sween,
the way you describe d72 may have a point? It sure sounds like it ...

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Still with you, CL...Just figured, if you posted it, you agreed with it (especially when preceded by "Money quote"), so...

Posted by: tripz | June 4, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Blocking is not Cooley's strength but he is hardly a terrible blocker....

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Buriss really ought to be playing for his favorite team. I am sure that would help his play immensely. Take a note you "chuckleheads" in the FO.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

tru dat Tripz:

My philosophy with skins trash talk is same with family.....family/fans can talk siht and battle, and fight.....but non family members/fans...well them's fightin' words!

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley "H-Back"
Grade: 80
Alert: None

Comment: He doesn't have the ideal size, but he is a good overall athlete. Cooley is a very good receiver who has good burst into routes and he runs good patterns. He shows very good overall quickness and body control. He has good agility at the breaks to separate then pick up the ball quick with eyes coming out of breaks. He has very good adjustment skills and competes for the ball to make tough catches. He will pluck the ball cleanly on the run and has speed and strength after the catch. He can weave through defenders and has good vision. He plays with confidence and good concentration on all types of routes. He can stretch the field vertically as well as work effectively underneath. He doesn't have great timed speed, but he plays fast. As a run blocker, he has trouble sustaining versus defensive ends at the point of attack, but he attacks with good quickness. He has good balance and body control, but is missing strength to create movement or stay engaged. He gives very good effort, shows toughness and he will battle. In pass protection he has good balance initially to set and slide. He lacks strength when defenders gets outside his frame.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh hell yes! I had to slap a Dallas fan once. Yep, slapped, not punched (but it did knock him out of his chair). He was not a big guy and I'm 6'4" and 230, so I didn't want to hurt him, BUT, he had it comin'!

Posted by: tripz | June 4, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis TE

Comment: An athletic tight end with good quickness and adequate speed for the position. Does a good job of avoiding the jam at the line and shows good release quickness. He has long arms and big hands. He has excellent ball skills and can go up and snatch the ball at its highest point. Very reliable short-to-intermediate receiver. Doesn't let the ball get into his pads often and shows very good hand-eye coordination for his position. He can pluck on the run and gets upfield quickly. Displays a knack for finding open windows on short-to-intermediate routes. Is fast enough to occasionally stretch the seam vertically. Will consistently separate from SLB's one-on-one. He has a quick first step as a run blocker and generally takes good angles. Shows good body control in space as a blocker and does an outstanding job of hitting the moving target on the second-level. Uses leverage to his advantage, displays adequate upper-body strength and works hard to sustain his blocks once locked on. He has been durable and reliable throughout his career. Continues to improve with more experience and is a hard worker with solid overall intangibles.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

You just proved my point Perc, that highlighted text does not equal terrible.....

C'mon you are dim, but not that dim.......shoot/miss.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Also perc when quoting others its common to use attribution so that we may judge the quality of the source.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry CL. Its Scouts Inc. as usual. No specific author.

When an OL doesn't have the strength to sustain a block on a running play that is considered pretty poor. If not terrible. The position TE is an OL position. It is not a backfield position as HB would be. But even under Gibbs one would often find Sellers blocking from that position.

Cooley can "chip" pretty well on passing plays.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Scouting reports are such BS sometimes ...

Fred Davis TE

Comment: .... Very reliable short-to-intermediate receiver.

He caught 3 passes. How could that = very reliable?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Sad day ... "Kwai Chang Caine" dead from an apparent suicide in of all places, Bangkok. David Carradine is now a legend for the ages.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

He caught 3 passes. How could that = very reliable?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009

That is his college scouting report. It shows his potential at the TE position. He hasn't played enough in the pros to get a new scouting report.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line: They need Davis at tight end in the west coast offense. If Betts and Portis can't catch passes Cooley might be a good choice out of the backfield ala Westbrook in Philly.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Against DE it says....he is often, especially if line is healthy (huge caveat i give you) asked to clear LB/S which he does well.....I am sure that scout would disagree with terrible or poor as an assesment considering the amount of "goods" in the description. Cooley blocks better than many TEs who primarily are passing threats.

Also your description of the TE is mightily out of whack with the modern game.

but arguing with you is pointless so yeah cooley is a terrible blocker....

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

The Skins proved last year they can run the ball effectively with a healthy OL. Meaning Cooley couldn't have been too bad.

But obviously, Cooley is at his best as a receiver. He's a nasty match-up for LBs and a good bit bigger than most strong safeties.

The report didn't mention that Cooley needs to hold onto the ball better after the catch.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 4, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

cooley as westbrook....yeah exactly why i am now flogging myself for slipping on the per slope......

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | June 4, 2009 5:37 PM |

dude...she's having an affair

Posted by: dexter72 | June 4, 2009 6:57 PM

Dexter,

You've never met Sween. No wife of his would think twice about "having an affair." Guy's a beast. Otherwise, yeah, it makes sense.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 4, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

People talking on their cell phones annoy the bejeebus outta me, out on the Road Warrior Zone.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 4, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Also, MAPS!

I still think Fred Davis is going to be a great pickup for our beloved team.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

CL,

Even in the "modern game" receivers are expected to block in the running game.

As for Cooley coming out of the backfield to catch passes, that was what he was originally drafted to do. Whether you agree with that offensive philosophy or not.

But hey their offensive line didn't collapse last year and its all Campbell's fault when he ends up on his back. You probably like the numbskulls who think he has too much of a "windup". Maybe CL is just a nom de plume for Snyder.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

In other words like it or not CL, Davis can be both a Donny Warren/Mike Sellers type blocker, plus potentially a better receiver than Cooley.

Yes, its all still potential ... but if its realized who would someone like say Bellicheck start? The guy who can make a difference on running plays blocking? Leap high for circus catches .. with some separation speed?

Or Cooley who is adequate to poor blocking but good to great in the passing game.

But, yeah, the guy has to prove himself first.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I am such a Snyder apologist, b/c I don't agree with your read of the situation. Classic. Whateves...if we just had priest holmes to be the third wide out I am sure it would all be fixed....

Look I broke one of my cardinal RI rules by engaging you in anything....so let me retract all statements. I am sure you are right.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 4, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Cardinal rule? What a bunch of BS that is. You sound like a typical pussy whipped type to me.

Posted by: periculum | June 5, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

He showed some promise last year, but he still has a lot to prove.

Side note, does anyone else miss Riggo's radio show? I found a website created to try and get The John Riggins Show back on the radio...

Posted by: kmcguiney | June 5, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmcguiney | June 5, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious? dude that was the worst show ever produced it stayed on for 2 years to long to begin with,and you want to bring it back?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 5, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Sleepy Davis might end up being a decent 2nd tightend. This offense has a lot of two tightend sets, so it will be another thing defenses will have to account for. Davis playing number two is a foregone conclusion but I want to hear how Agnone is doing. Yoder has been the workhorse blocking tightend but I don't think Zorn wants a player like that. It seems to me he wants every player who can catch the ball to be a downfield threat. I think this does not bode well for guys like Yoder and Sellers.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 5, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Please let this dam season begin. I see a lot of you are bored so you make assinine comments about nothing!
Who cares if Landry isn't here for voluntary workouts? As long as he is here which he will be for training camp in July who cares.

Sometimes it takes young guys time to mature, 21 went thru the same thing but both these guys produced on Sunday's.

If Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, or Fred Davis were not at these voluntary OTA's then I could understand some of these posts.

Lets just whipped the Giants azz Sep 13th we were clueless offensively last year with a new first year coach, this year offensively we will be prepared. The defense held its own against the Giant offense last year, this year the Skins defense has better playmakers and athletes, bring the Giants on!

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | June 5, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse