Davis Looking to Be 'in the Mix'

Dan Steinberg reports:

Tight end Fred Davis, who has played more extensively in recent weeks, said he expects to be "in the mix" this weekend and hopes to make a breakout play.

"That's what I would like to do, at least before the season's over, so people can see why they picked me," Davis said. "But if not, hopefully do everything else right, knowing my assignments and doing everything right for the coaches."

Davis plans to commute between California and D.C. this offseason, so he can "show my face around [Redskins Park] a lot," while the third second-rounder, Devin Thomas, said he needs some time away but will "be around here when I need to be." Thomas was asked this week about the productive rookie seasons of several other receivers chosen in the second round last April, but he said that doesn't concern him.

"Everybody has a different little situation that they're in, you know?" Thomas said. "Mine is totally different from theirs. We've all had ups and downs in our seasons, and with the NFL it's week to week. They'll love you one week and hate you the next week. Everybody's in a different boat, so you can't compare guys with each other."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 26, 2008; 9:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cast Your Vote
Next: Kelly a Likely Inactive Again

Comments

The Truth has been at work for an hour too long, and The Truth arrived at work about an hour ago.

The Truth is still not happy.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 8:27 AM

If it's any comfort, Truth, (and I understand why it wouldn't be) the unemployment rate is headed for 10% and there's lots of people who wish they had your job. Plus your good looks, wit, and intellect.

But, they all wish they could be FIRST, like me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 26, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Big Sleepy!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Talent Evaluator, you make a good point (about my superior good looks, wit, and intellect).

I'm a god among men.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | December 26, 2008; 9:11 AM ET

He needs to talk with Jason Campbell about this. Everytime he's in the open for a breakout play (twice, I recall), Jason throws the ball about 20 yards from where the breakout play should be occurring.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 26, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"Everybody has a different little situation that they're in, you know?" Thomas said. "Mine is totally different from theirs. We've all had ups and downs in our seasons, and with the NFL it's week to week."

By Cindy Boren | December 26, 2008; 9:11 AM ET

Did Thomas point to anything specific that would constitute his "ups"?

Hard to believe after this weak start to his NFL career that he doesn't have the good sense to spend every minute he can at Redskins park. Same for Davis, too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 26, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Kids R Dumb, t.e.

I vaguely recall the phenomenon, meself.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 26, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Agreed that it's disappointing these guys don't plan to spend all or most of the offseason here. I was glad to see Kelly bought a house here and intends to stay here. Attitude looks to be improving; if he gets his work ethic up to speed, he could be an impact player for us next year. God knows we need a legit compliment across from Moss.

Any word on plans to pursue a marquee f/a in the offseason? I do think adding Peppers, Gross or Haynesworth would be nice if the cap allows it next yr but clearly we need to draft heavily along both lines with our picks. Trade down to add picks or take the best available OT/DT/DE in the 1st?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 26, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

LMG, I'm not really feeling any of the DE's that are first round talents. The three or four I've seen look to be in the mold of Jason Taylor, and that just ain't gonna cut it in the big boy division we're in.

OT has about 6 or 7 legit first round talents, and guard has a couple.

OLB has Aaron Curry and if he falls, I think you might have to make that pick, but I doubt he falls to us.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Santa didnt bring you ladies a new owner. Therefore it will be the same old story crappy draft picks and overpaying for free agents
that dont perform.

However, Danny Boy lost big bucks in Maloff scandal so there is hope in Deadskinville. Interesting JLC and the WP aren't reporting this. It was big news at the hadessa.

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | December 26, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I too am amazed these guys don't see the value in spending every minute at Redskin's Park. I understand being 22 and wanting a couple weeks off but seriously are you kidding me? After that with all the money and fame to garner off the situation they are in it's astounding to me.

Posted by: Gweez | December 26, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Soooooooooo....let me get this straight you are basically a bust as a rookie wide receiver(you and your boy, KELLY)you can't get through the mandatory pre season conditioning drill you don't know the playbook worth a damn and you want time to hang out with yo peeps and do exactly what?. Mr.Thomas: You need a wakeup call you my mentally challenged friend should spend every waking minute at the park and try to be an impact player for next season and help your QB out(maybe provide another target for him in the passing game)the playbook should be your best friend. Where is your level of aspiration? of achievement? Yes take a couple of weeks off but get right back to it, learn your playbook get with your position coach and try to be the best, what in God's name could you be thinking?

Posted by: dargregmag | December 26, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Love to hear that our bust of our overall top pick doesn't care that other people picked after him have dramatically outperformed him and that it is more important for him to "get away"......well, since he's been pretty much missing the whole year anyway don't see how this will change anything much......great pick Vinny.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 26, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I am sick and tired of our young players not sticking around this area in the off-season. These "busts" should be itching to get into the off-season, so that they can learn the offense and spend time with Jason Campbell and the coaches. It is not like they don't have the physical ability to contribute, their problem is between the ears.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I live down in North Carolina and hear nothing but Panthers info on all of the sports talk radio stations. The word down here is that the Panthers are going to make Jordan Gross a priority of signing in the off-season.
Alot of people don't think that Peppers is going to be worth the money that he would demand because they say that he is too inconsistent with his effort. I have no idea if that is true or not because I do not watch them enough. So, our best bet of the 2 might be Peppers, but it might be a risk.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator wrote: "Did Thomas point to anything specific that would constitute his "ups"?"

It was an underwhelming performance. I believe Zorn suggested he came to camp underprepared and underconditioned. That led to minor injuries that kept him off the field and from learning the offense.

Still, it's not much of a predictor of future performance.

A rook WR who has a standout season is an anomaly. In the first place, they usually don't get to play that much. When they do play, it's usually as a safety valve or (for the fast ones) to stretch the field.

Looks to me Thomas performed about as well in limited opportunities as Steve Smith (the NY one) or Sinorice Moss or Limas Sweed at Pittsburgh. Nothing to write home about, but certainly no reason to write him off, either.

Roddy White and Micheal Jenkins at Atlanta weren't much in their first season. Neither was Brandon Marshall at Denver or Chad Johnson at Cincy.

Thomas does have an unimpressive yards per catch number, like NY's Smith, but that may have something to do with the way he was used in the offense.

Not to argue with handsome, witty, gainfully employed gentlemen like talent_evaluator and TheTruth, but it's too early to give up on this guy. That sort of impulsive, love-hate approach to players is the province of Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse