Davis, Mitchell Make Their Marks

Fred Davis was among the most disappointed men in the locker room after the Washington Redskins' preseason loss in Baltimore a week ago. After a shaky rookie year, the second-round pick out of Southern Cal had earned repeated praise from teammates and coaches during offseason workouts and the early days of training camp, but he fumbled twice in one drive against Baltimore, ruining one of the Redskins' best scoring chances.

"I can't dwell on that, because I know I'm a better player than that," he said at the time. "The coaches know what I can do and I know what I can do. I've just got to prove it next time."

To the extent that one preseason game can offer redemption for another, Davis succeeded against Saturday night. On successive plays in the fourth quarter, Davis tackled Pittsburgh Steelers punt returner Joe Burnett, forcing a fumble, and then caught an 18-yard touchdown pass from Chase Daniel, celebrating with a hip-shaking routine. It was Davis's fourth catch of the preseason, after recording just three receptions in his entire rookie campaign.

The Redskins also got a touchdown catch from rookie wide receiver Marko Mitchell, who has raised eyebrows throughout the preseason by tangling with veteran teammates. Mitchell has gotten into a jawing match with cornerback Fred Smoot and a physical altercation with cornerback DeAngelo Hall; running back Clinton Portis also joked with reporters that a third cornerback--Carlos Rogers--couldn't check Mitchell one-on-one.

"I just come in and just do my job, that's all I can do," Mitchell said on the final day of training camp. "I'm usually the type of guy that talks a lot, but I'm a rookie, so I don't have room to talk right now. Only thing I'm doing is just going out here to show these guys that I can play."

Mitchell led the Redskins with three catches against the Steelers.

"When I heard it was called in the huddle I kind of felt that Chase was going to come to me," Mitchell said. "'Cause like I said I build a lot of chemistry with these guys I've been with and he had enough confidence in me to throw it up to me and me make a play for him."

Mitchell, a rookie fighting for the fifth wide receiver spot, entered the game during the second series with the first-team offense still operating.

"Coach came to me after last week's game and he told me we're going to put you in earlier this upcoming week," Mitchell said. "And I've taken a lot of reps with the ones and twos [in practice] so it was just a daily routine with me."

By Dan Steinberg and Paul Tenorio  |  August 23, 2009; 12:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Night of Ups, Downs for Special Teams
Next: Zorn Evaluates Campbell's Performance

Comments

Betts... well to be honest, I just like the kid. I think he is a solid worker who is selfless and has done everything we have asked him. To me, its hard to cut a team player like him, a true Redskin. I agree we've seen his best, and its not great, but again thats why we have CP, to be great. If you have 2 great rbs, you have issues as both want the ball all the time, and Betts understands his role and doesn't complain or cause trouble. He could have after his big season, could have forced his way and gotten more carries or his outright release... but didn't. I respect that, respect him as a person, and a player.

However, if were looking for the future (which as a Redskin fan I understand we never, EVER, EVER, do) I think it might be time to let him go. I know i reversed right here, but you guys convinced me. We have nothing to lose to let a guy like Mason make the team and show us what hes got. Hes clearly hungry for it and clearly is not a bad option... it wont happen, but I think I agree with the consensus now... Mason>Betts

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 23, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

".......your starting QB went 1 for 7 gaining 10 yards.. Isnt that more important than Special Teams..??"

in the preseason?? that would be a resounding NO.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 23, 2009 12:33 AM

Repost:

Nicely done people~. I'm glad you saw it's nothing personal against Betts, just makes sense. Can't agree more that it "won't happen", but glad you're onboard.

Even though it would have meant an ugly '08, I think we should have blown up the team and let Z make it his own, but again I knew it "wouldn't happen" given the current leadership.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 23, 2009 12:34 AM

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 23, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

thank gawd for the Houston Texans..
++++++++

ummm.... acceptance of mediocrity...

why the Skins havent been to the SB in 18 years...
+++++++++++++++++++++++

in the preseason?? that would be a resounding NO.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 12:34 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 23, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching nfln? can't wait to play denver this year!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 23, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

"ummm.... acceptance of mediocrity..."

No...it's called an IQ above 50. Have fun with the knee jerk reactions and the Texans.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

On Special Teams,

I say check my history on the subject and I'll also posture that if they gave me something to talk about--say like a caused turnover or a 'TD' return--I'll be willing to acknowledge mistakes, but only brief thoughts, cuz I don't like dwelling.

I agree Ladell Betts needs to show up this year in order to avoid being an injury-cap release from the 'Skins. With Ladell, it's to the point where fans don't care if injuries are, inherently, a part of the game, but injuries are, inherently, a part of you. As a 'Skins fan, I haven't seen you produce since 2006.

*chuckle*

And who wonders why NFL players never see the backloaded-years of their contracts, when Team Owners see that the cost of depreciation on their assets are increasing?

Crabtree, I'm this close to calling you a dummy, for you need to get paid 10th pick money now, before the opportunity passes you by.. jus ask Matt Lionheart. 'Cech' it for you soccer fans out their; if Michael Crabtree is as good as he thinks he is then he will earn big time pay come his contract year, if not sooner..

Some brats come into the league feeling entitled to some 'end of the rainbow' Pot 'O Gold, and some players come into the league trying to make that money a la T.O., ummm..Colston, ummm..Marshall! Feel free to argue the other side of my argument though, and put on a Pot' O Coffee.

Posted by: Vicc | August 23, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

"ummm.... acceptance of mediocrity..."
Have fun with the knee jerk reactions and the Texans.
Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 12:52 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++
At this point. If JC starts for the Skins..it only political because of his Contract.. Not because of his performance..
Speaking of the Texans..Matt Schaub from the TExans would be a HUGE upgrade from JC.
From NFL.Com
One of the few bright spots was quarterback Matt Schaub, who completed 11-of-16 passes with an eight-yard touchdown toss to wide receiver David Anderson on the game's opening possession. This preseason, Schaub is 18-of-23 with no interceptions.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 23, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I think the best thing I walk away from tonight's game is that we have some young gamers on the team. And do I dare say it... depth in areas we didn't have in years past.

Now for the hard question. Do we let some of the vets go that the only major value that they add to the team is experience? Like in Betts, Cartwright, ARE, and Collins? While experience is valuable, so is speed, agility, and power, things only God can give you. Experience will come with playing right?

Posted by: clark202 | August 23, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Before we go into fits of ecstacy, remember the skins second and 3rd) unit won the gam against pitt's second unit. Neither would play much in a Superbowl game.

Roethlisberger didn't play.

Okay, neither did Campbell, but at least Ben had the grace not to don his uniform for the game.

Also, I'd forgotten what a bad play caller Zorn is, especially in the Red Zone.

The biggest worry after the game is Campbell's second forgettable performance, and the special teams.

No one has replaced those guys that nobody would miss--Thrash and Kharry Campbell.

The plusses have probably already been covered.

Orakpo.
Phillips.
Mitchell
The terrific trio of receivers.
Much better play by Tryon and Barnes
Oline

Posted by: TheCork | August 23, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

They win, about 20 minutes pass, and we get a post on special teams.

This is why the haters hate on the Post.

Posted by: RedDMV |

Nay nay. It's a chance to give the Pollyanna brigade a chance to gloat.

Posted by: TheCork | August 23, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

It's Official!

The Sam Bradford watch has begun.

I'm sorry, but after sitting on the Jason Campbell bandwagon all summer, it's obvious that's it's headed for the the nearest cliff....

...where it will fall...

...and and crash and change....

...into a Boomer Sooner.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 23, 2009 2:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure there was as much a Jason bandwagon this offseason as much as it was a "lets not trade all our picks or future picks for a QB when we need so much" bandwagon.Yes, Cutler or Sanchez might be better options than JC but at what price? Either choice & we lose Orakpo plus who knows what else.

Chase looks promising but then so did Colt last year. We'll know more after next week.

Posted by: will_ga | August 23, 2009 3:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree about not giving up all our picks to get a quaterback. But people here smashed Danny boy for trying to move Campbell. If I was the owner and I did not believe my qb had what it takes, I would try to move him too. Maybe Danny and Vinny had already seen what we saw last night. I give JC this season to earn his job, cause it will be his 2nd season in the system and with Zorn. But if I don't see much progress in him, then he needs to go. This is a qb driven league, and if the guy with the ball in his hands sucks then so does your team. And as for the oline, they are showing well as a unit. We have 2 backup guards in Rhino and Bridges. Now we just need a reliable backup tackle.

Posted by: dolemite1 | August 23, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell has started twice this pre-season and, so far, he has made the owner look like me: a talent_evaluator genius. Ugh. This isn't good.

Come on, JC, it's time to get your game on.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Cut Brennan!

Start Daniel!

LOL
OMG
ROFL

Did I miss any appropriate emoti-acronyms?

Posted by: hithere1 | August 23, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Looking 'big picture'...

The O-Line was better.
Defense was good.
Young guys and 2nd teamers made plays.
Special teams still has some things to work out.

Outside of that, I think the coaches got from the game what they needed.

Big Picture: its the 2nd pre-season game. We got through it without any major injuries. No punts deflected off of any unholy wide screen televisions. I'm happy.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Why are you laughing at what you said? Yesterday when Colt threw that pick you wanted to cut him.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 23, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

SJK?

That one always comes in handy.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell needs to make this team.

Colt, you are crapping the bed at the wrong time.

If you are not nervous about JC you are not a redskins fan...

Dorsey, I would like to find a place for him on the team. Speed kills.

Liked the first quarter energy.

Betts should NEVER carry the ball from the yard line in.

I have major wood over our D-Line rotation. Very exciting.

Orakpo is beast.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 23, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

Betts should NEVER carry the ball from the FIVE yard line in.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 23, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

cut collins, daniel as back up.. and with all the talk of how horrible we draft.. Marko Mitchell is a PLAYER and will make an impact this season good job vinnie

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | August 23, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

"Marko Mitchell needs to make this team."
*Eloi can jump out of a pool backwards...

"Colt, you are crapping the bed at the wrong time."
*No one likes that guy

"If you are not nervous about JC you are not a redskins fan..."
*an informed fan... the other 70% thinks were going to the playoffs every year and ends up disappointed.

"Dorsey, I would like to find a place for him on the team. Speed kills."
*so do 53 man roster rules

"Liked the first quarter energy."
*I'd like to see Zorn go for a fake punt in his own territory late in the season

"Betts should NEVER carry the ball from the yard line in."
*AGREEEEEED

"I have major wood over our D-Line rotation. Very exciting."
*Very disturbing too.

"Orakpo is beast."
*I think he's a closet Cowboys fan though... we'll have to see his reaction to Jerryland when the Skins head to Dallas.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Has the "Cult of Colt" now morphed into the "Case for Chase"?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 23, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Collins will replace JC if we go 0-2 or 1-3.

Either Mason/#32 will make the team.

Marko will make the team.

Colt45 is on the bubble.

Orakpo has great potential, but I am not high on him yet, until those 3 near sacks actually become sacks. But he's going in the right direction.

before the 3rd & 1 play, I instantly thought about that Giants game. And Ladell did the same thing.......

Zorn should be fired for kicking a FG on 4th & 2 @ the 3 in preseason.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 23, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Nervous about JC ya ready to give up ... not just yet he needs a whole half to work and get in a rhythm. I also agree on dorsey he should be returning punts full time make it happen Zorn

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | August 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Dorf! You're alive! And abiding...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 23, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I think Betts' goal line strategy is something like this:

"Close your eyes and run to the endzone"

I know Sellers missed that block, how many times have we seen that off tackle sweep left move fail? 2nd and 2 within 5 and we get 3 points again. Even Swiss Ham can make that field goal.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

The Dorf abides.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

The way things look now the Skins have a QB problem and they won't have the luxury of waiting until the end of the season to do something about it. Knowing Snyder's impatience and the downward trend on Campbell I would be surprised if he lasts more than four games into the season. The problem isn't only Campbell though because at this point there is no good alternative. Cerrato could try to make a trade of some kind before the season starts but it would be done in desperation and the other team would want too much in return (draft picks) for some doofus like the loser of the Quinn/Anderson derby.

There has been mention of Sam Bradford as a QB savior. But how are the Skins going to get him when he probably will be the #1 draft pick? They would have to have a miserable 2009 and then throw in additional draft picks to have a chance at him. And Bradford does not play in a NFL O system so there is some doubt as to how he would work out in the NFL. The other draft possibilities, like McCoy, Snead and Tebow don't have NFL arms.

Looking further into the future and at SC, the cradle of NFL QBs, there is this kid Matt Barkley that Carroll is raving about. But he is a freshman now so it probably will be the 2011 draft or later for him if he performs as Carroll thinks he can.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 23, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

dorf - Did you move back in the area?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 23, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Zorn should be fired for kicking a FG on 4th & 2 @ the 3 in preseason.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 23, 2009 8:33 AM

He was. But then he was rehired for the fake punt. All-in-all, a wash in the dangling balls department.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 8:36 AM |

That was bad. You can talk all you want about how much better the OL is, but when you can't punch it over from that close your ass is realy dragging.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 23, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 23, 2009 8:42 AM

Love RI. What a group of planners. After the second pre-season game we're strategizing the 2011 draft.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. I'm back on the Right Coast. My stint in the mountains was a short one.

I'm excited to watch games in the afternoon in the comfort of my own home instead of ordering beer at 11am at a bar. The one good think about living in Colorado was not feeling bad about wearing my old Champ Bailey jersey. That and the lack of humidity.

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

In spite of CP's protestations and proclamations, Zorn needs to put the offense in JC's hands completely. A West Coast offense does not center around the running backs; go for it all and cast your lot with JC vs. this tepid hybrid that's trying to run but not getting into a groove throwing the ball. Let JC throw the 15-25 yard routes that he can vs. these 6-7 yard 'check downs'. Sure he tossed it up a couple times last night, but any team can do that once or twice.

Look at the routes Batch was throwing; the 'Skins can't do that? I'll keep saying Zorn needs to build the offense around JC, unless of course there's some Snyderrato conspiracy to keep him from having big numbers this year.

Posted by: pdfordiii | August 23, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Snyderrato conspiracy to keep him from having big numbers this year.

Posted by: pdfordiii | August 23, 2009 9:02 AM

cue the "Snderrato" conspiracy moonbats.

Dude, nothing that the FO would love more than for JC to have a BIG year. Then, at worst, they can franchise him and trade him for a few picks. Right now, he's worth nothing to them.

How about that moon landing? Do you still think the government faked it?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

List of things I'm still in the air about concerning government involvement:

SARS
West Nile Virus
Bird Flu
Swine Flu
Tupac's death
Alex Ovechkin's green card

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"Chase looks promising but then so did Colt last year."

Chase Daniels, unlike Colt, is worth giving a roster spot to as Colt has had an NFL season under his belt, and should look much better this time around than what he has.

You put Daniels on the practice squad, and some will snag him.

Make space on the team for Chase Daniels and Marko Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 23, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 8:51 AM |

You misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't strategizing the 2011 draft. "But he is a freshman now so it probably will be the 2011 draft or later for him if he performs as Carroll thinks he can." That statement says that if you are thinking of the next QB savior from SC you are going to have to wait a long time. There is nothing there about "strategizing the draft". Doesn't the word "but" mean anything to you?

Note to talent_evaluator: don't you have anything better to do with your life than hang out at RI and try to pick the bones of other bloggers posts?

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 23, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Zorn should be fired for kicking a FG on 4th & 2 @ the 3 in preseason.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 23, 2009 8:33 AM

Inexplicable.

I can understand in a reg season game you need to walk away with points.

But in preseason? What's the explanation?

Did we need to see Suishy kick a 20-yarder as part of the kicking competition?

Did Zorny need to have a "moral victory" by declaring that the 1st team actually had a scoring drive?

If we are grasping that badly for some "positives" in the preseason that's not good.

Posted by: p1funk | August 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Chase vs. Colt

At this point, based on performance, you've got to give the nod to Chase. It's not just that Chase looked pretty good, but Colt looks like he's regressed with some of the negative plays/decision-making.

I like Chase as a 3rd QB, also b/c he can run and that adds another dimension to his game.

But I doubt that Zorn and the staff are going to cut Colt loose. They've already invested a year in him. They're gonna play the "we-know-Colt-is-raw-and-still-needs-to-develop" card to cover their (and his) arse.

Posted by: p1funk | August 23, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Someone talked about Sam Bradford and the #1 pick.

Picks 1-3 are actaually relatively easy to snag from other teams. Most teams don't want to pay the price for signing a 1-3 and typically are willing to deal.

Posted by: p1funk | August 23, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't the word "but" mean anything to you?

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 23, 2009 9:15 AM

Yeah. I like big buts and I cannot lie.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 23, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Zorn should be fired for kicking a FG on 4th & 2 @ the 3 in preseason.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 23, 2009 8:33 AM

I think the real convicting evidence for me is when he ran the ball on 2nd & 1. To me, thats when you take a shot down the field. Take and chance and grow some nuts.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinztattoo89

JC is in his 2nd year of this system and look at how pathetic he is. Colt is also in his 2nd year of the same system and he is as pathetic. What gives? Some of you saying to drop Colt want to;
"allow JC more time to get into a rythm" "It's only the 2nd preseason game".

When do the burgundy and gold colored glasses come off and you start seeing JC clearly?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The ONLY thing that I liked that JC did last night was take 2 shots down the field...but they were ugly. Oh yeah, the run was okay too...but the slide was ugly too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

3 points is all the first team put up last night. Better hope the D is as good as last year, and has more endurance because all those fantastic players on D get tired when a miserable O has too many 3 and out's all year.

I also have to wonder about the fake punt. Thought you didn't game plan for preseason games? Rock was quoted as saying they saw something on film about the Steelers alignment and when they(Steelers) showed it on the first punt they did the fake.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I gotts say, I've never been too impressed with Betts either. Aside from that 1 season he has looked pretty unimpressive. He doesn't really seem to be a change of pace for Portis either. Maybe time to move on from that too. Even the Rock seemed better to me last night...of course it was against 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It's refreshing to see Weisman on Redskins.com not towing the party line.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell needs to make this team.

Colt, you are crapping the bed at the wrong time.

If you are not nervous about JC you are not a redskins fan...

Dorsey, I would like to find a place for him on the team. Speed kills.

Liked the first quarter energy.

Betts should NEVER carry the ball from the yard line in.

I have major wood over our D-Line rotation. Very exciting.

Orakpo is beast.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 23, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I think my work is done here

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"Nervous about JC ya ready to give up ... not just yet he needs a whole half to work and get in a rhythm."

Dude, didn't you get the memo? Being logical and optimistic isn't allowed. It's much more fun to jump to conclusions after every play. It's kind of like Twitter..."fans" updating their opinions of the team after each play:

Campbell misses deep: "TOLD YA, JC SUCKS!"
Campbell hits Cooley on 3rd down to move the chains: "Alright, let's get somethin goin" or silence.

Collins completes pass: "START COLLINS!"
Collins throws INT: "JK JK...START COLT!"

Daniels throws TD: "CHASE FOR 1st STRING!!!! SUPER BOWL!!!!!!"

This is hilarious/scary at the same time.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

OK I lied....

As for #17- if you're not at least a bit concerned then something is def wrong...but this talk about Sam Bradford...in WEEK 2 of the PRESEASON?? I mean seriously??

Prediction- JC will have a solid if unspectacular season (read: exactly what we need), a QB rating in the upper 80's, we will make the playoffs, and people will be slurping his hog to sign a 5-6 year deal. And I hope he does. It amuses/amazes me that people are so anti-JC, and moreover, that they think our success hinges solely on his performance.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 23, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Hope you're right Notorious.

So far he looks as average as last year and the D tired last year remember? He needs to make plays, not just manage the game. IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

oops, correcting myself. JC looks below average IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What would be the contract implications of letting Cartwright and Betts go and keeping Dorsey and Mason? Not that I don't love those guys, they've done great things for the team, it just might be time for a regime change.

Posted by: bostskin | August 23, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Dude, didn't you get the memo? Being logical and optimistic isn't allowed.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 9:56 AM |

Since when are Skins fans logical. If we were logical we wouldn't consistently route for a losing team. I became a Skins freak in the Gibbs era. I've been hooked since and we haven't done crap since. Logic has nothing to do with it. Sports are all about emotion. The optimism I have. Everyone knows I'm an apologist and think we need to give 'em time. That being said, I am a little worried about JC...but it's only game 2 of the preseason. Would've liked to see him in there longer though. I mean crap, most starting QB's are playing a good bit more.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

As far as JC, whom I've been vocal about keeping, he looked just awful last night. I'm sure we'll see him for at least a half next week, so all the whining about lack of rhythm stops there.

Posted by: bostskin | August 23, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what it means, but the best account of the game I've read or heard so far comes from one Larry Weissman at...wait for it (I know it's a cliche, but appropriate here) ... wait for it...

REDSKINS.COM!!!!

What the? Objective, critical, observant, well written, and not the least bit suck-uppy. He must have a dynamite Golden parachute.

I am gobsmacked and partially agog.

If they don't fire him, it may show a new maturity on Snyder's part, and that's a good thing.

Since it appears Snyder won't sell or can Cerrato, the only hope this team has is increased smarts on both their behalfs.

I know it's too soon to celebrate, but it looks like our dreams are showing signs of coming true.

Posted by: TheCork | August 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

That's right Cork.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I guess after so many years of so-so seasons, I can see why some people are so pessimistic.

I mean, sure I have some questions about this team going into the regular season. But doesn't it suck to watch your "favorite" team when you're super negative about everything they do?

It seems that a lot of folks up here lost sight of what these games mean. Its the pre-season - these games are more about evaluating talent than scoring a million points. Of course you want to see the Redskins play well, but its not the end of the world, 1-15 season to come, doom and gloom that so many super smart swingin souls up here make it out to be.

I liked cL's list. Concerns about Campbell? Sure, but in no way should anyone be calling for Collins to start. That's just 'straight tard', to borrow again from cL.

Posted by: -swb | August 23, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

This happens every preseason. ABANDON SHIP!!! Concerns...sure. Baltimore Raisins fan...not a chance in he77.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who has to go...But Mason, Mitchell, and Daniel appear to deserve a roster spot.

These guys are flat out ballin!.

I say cut Collins and free up his space and keep Daniel.

As far as RBs go...I don't know who you let go....but Mason is a baller. Second year now we have seen this cat play ball.

Mitchell...how can you keep this guy off the team? He has flat out been beastin! We read and hear about camp and how this guy was the surprise...then he steps up in the preseason game.

They have to figure out a way to keep these guys.

You put any of these cats on the practice squad..there gone.

Posted by: leevi98 | August 23, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Another factor about the Field Goal on 4th and goal from the two......

Had they failed to score, would have been nice to see that beastly Defense pour the wood when the other team is backed up.

Nice to see a turnover or a three and out and Pittsburgh forced to punt from own end zone.

What I fear it MAY reflect is Zorn's lack of confidence in his own red Zone Play calling.

Posted by: TheCork | August 23, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Funny how this blog can swing like it does. Last year I was blasted for saying JC was not the answer. I see many have caught up now! :)

Posted by: leevi98 | August 23, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan I agree that JC has not looked sharp. However, by all accounts, and I mean JZ accounts, JC has made good decisions. Getting into rythem can be worked on once the starter QB get the majority of work during the week. With Colt on the other hand, making a horrid decision in the red zone, on a drive that three points would have sealed the deal, is something that cannot be tolerated. Can't win with a QB who turns the ball over in the red zone. colt still has these last two games to show the coaches that they could trust him when the real bullets fly. You better believe that Colt is in on the bubble, with Chase looking as a gamer. Colt should beetter in his decision making by now.

Posted by: TWISI | August 23, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

leevi, there is absolutely no chance that they cut Collins. This would mean opening the regular season with only one QB on the roster having taken snaps in an actual NFL game. No way they do something like that

The closest they'll come to cutting him is making him #3. This way, they have the option of getting Colt or Chase (why does everyone think his last name is Daniels?) into a game when the redskins inevitably blow someone out and its the 4th quarter. But, if JC gets hurt and its only the 1st quarter, they can still throw Collins in and have a real shot at winning the game.

Posted by: -swb | August 23, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I hope JC was watching Chase real close. Ya' see it ain't the talent that Chase has that stands out, but it is mental approach to the QB position.

Campbell needs to get his arse' or rather I mean his head into gear.

And why would you take Portis out in the middle of the series and put Betts in. Did Portis get his bell rung or something.

Cut Betts, he sucks. Bench Campbell in the next preseason game and tell him he is not getting it done. He needs a mental wake up.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 23, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

i agree 65, and I think he will make plays. 2nd yr in the system, 11 and 12 coming on, O-line improving (they looked much better with Thomas in their IMO). BUt i understand the concern. He definitely is not as sharp as I'd hoped he would be at this point.

Side note - I really hope Chase beats out Colt. Not only do I think Colt sucks (love the "Colt will be starting in a year" folks) but he is a dbag. How come nobody talks about what happened at CU? I saw him in Whitlow's wearing sunglasses. Dbag.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 23, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Zorn should be fired for kicking a FG on 4th & 2 @ the 3 in preseason.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 23, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Kicking the FG made sense since they're trying to evaluate their Suisham and Rayner, and neither got a FG opportunity last week.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 23, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Tryon
Barnes

Suisham
Smith
Albright

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 23, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

When Monk, Clark, and Saunders were broken up they were still best threesome in football. They said they had gotten slow and lost a step, but they were the best out there still.

Betts and Cartwright as a running tandem have been good professionals, but I have never been as excited about them as I am about Mason and Daniels. Betts and Cartwright have never consistently measured up. Why do we keep them, when we were so quick to break up the best wide receiver tandem in football?

If you cut Betts and Cartwright for Mason and Daniels, it would wake up this Team like a Lavarr Arrington hit on Troy Aikman and leave us with two outstanding running backs to boot.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 23, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"Logic has nothing to do with it."

"That being said, I am a little worried about JC...but it's only game 2 of the preseason."

You see what you did right there..."but it's only game 2 of the preseason" : oozes of logical thought. Don't sell yourself short.

I can understand living on the edge during the regular season (to an extent), but the preseason is NOTHING compared to real, live, 1st team on 1st team for 4 quarters action.

Is it a little concerning that JC hasn't been more accurate? Yes.
Should people give up all hope in the man after 2 brief stints in preseason games? Absolutely not.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 23, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

please read Weismans article and then tell me about JC not looking sharp. He is well below where he should be.
Coach Zorn has to say those things since JC is the best option he has. What can he say? I also think game planning and play calling last year wasn't real good, but look around the league and you'll see QB's making plays. JC just lacks the "it" intangible in my ever so humble opinion.

BTW, I will always be a Skins fan, just not blind to my beloved teams weaknesses.
HTTR!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Is it a little concerning that JC hasn't been more accurate? Yes.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who

For me, it's a few years in the decision making process, and now year 2 of the same system, (which has always been his crutch to fall back on) without looking sharper. I hope he proves me wrong in the regular season, but it remains to be seen.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The running game is a crucial element of any winning football team and Betts and Cartwright have had there chance without any measured success.

Cut Betts and Cartwright!

Cut Betts and Cartwright!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 23, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan let me put it this way. I'll be more concerned after week one if JC completes only 14% of his passes. Historically JC has improved his completion % year over year. I'm more concerned now on his decision making, and the development of the OL.

Posted by: TWISI | August 23, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I was telling the board about Marcus Mason LAST YEAR, but was met with ridicule and mockery.

Look at you all now, all on his jock like "stank".

I'm sure beantowngreg or some body else will try and some how diminish his performance and what he can potentially bring to the team.

Give Mason a spot, the boy is starving like a refugee. He's hungry, let 'em eat.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 23, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"And lastly there is FA and Rivers will be a UFA at the end of the season. But when was the last time a team let a Pro Bowl QB fly the coop as a FA?"

Rivers in the Burgundy and Gold, that would be a major weapon upgrade..
Chase knows how to score in the Red Zone. He'sa lot like Rivers, scrambles and throws on the run. Love to see him lead the first team ..Santana would be his Maclin..

Colt may have regressed..Colt is the stoner dude with the good weed in the parking lot..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis has been out of action enough for Betts or Cartwright to have taken the ball and run with it. Neither has done so.

Cut Betts and Cartwright.

Could care less that they play special Teams. Our Special Teams are not the greatest in the world because of them either.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Observations: JC still has long windup, stares down rcvrs, doesn't see the field. Mechanics still same as last year. Average QB at best. Zorn as coach doesn't use situations (3yds from goal - kicks field goal) to get plays on tape. Goes for points, nice to win but its PRESEASON. What happened to seeing at least 1 long drive.
I was castigated by several of the long time peeps on here for wanting to go after a QB with up-side during an un-natural year with QB's flying around all over. I had stats thrown around like most of them had the end-all meaning.
If my language skills offends anyone i apologize.
Trade for Tyler Thigpin would be an upgrade.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | August 23, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Chase is showing the mental prowess that Jason should be showing. I see the same Jason I saw last year.

I like Jason, and maybe he has improved in his mental approach to the game, but he needs to start showing it.

Cut Betts and Cartwright!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

We just have the wrong Colt, wait a year

Tried to connect to presser on redskins.com but it kept failing to connect

sometimes the Internet sucks

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about cutting Betts, but Cartwright? I was saying he should be shown the door, LAST YEAR as well. But was told he's too valuable on special teams.

Ethan Albright = Rock Cartwright

Both all-pro special teams (does that really exists?). I'm trying to say that they are expendable.

I like Dorsey and Mason.

The only beef I have with ToddStinkston's 53 man roster is that he has the incomparable, all-world, irreplaceable Rock Cartwright on there.

Give another starving youngin' (Dorsey, or Mason) returning duties.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 23, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Everyone on the inider has made great points !

Anyone hungry ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorf | August 23, 2009 9:00 AM

----------

For some of us, ordering beer and eating wings off a paper plate at 11AM on a Sunday morning surrounded by a cavalcade of fans representing the other teams from the NFL to watch or beloved Washington Redskins lose yet another game thereby putting a funky spin on the balance of our weekend leaves us feeling warm and fuzzy inside, downright homey.

Redskins Willie, Nate, Stumped... will be missing you this season.

Based on the performance against the Steelers, and other early indicators, and as Thomas Boswell says in his most recent column, the Washington Redskins are simply not that good of a football team.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"As far as JC, whom I've been vocal about keeping, he looked just awful last night."

You know, the people on this blog are just plain nuts.

Give it a rest already will you?

They didn't even gameplan and went right down the field on the reigning SB team with a nasty defense. They got points. Shut up already.

I also believe it was raining. One of you morons try throwing a football 50-60 yards down a field when it is soaking wet and tell me if you put it right on the money.

STFU already.

Jason Campbell is not going anywhere so you better get used to it. They guy you all need to be focusing on is Jim Zorn. His play calling this pre-season has been nothing short of terrible.

I thought the offense looked much better last night. We'll see in future weeks.

I used to think Washington had some of the best fans in the NFL but if you read this you sure would be wrong.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 23, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Red,

I like your thought process. I've been saying go younger with the backs too. Young guys hungry to make the team are what we need. Seems to me Betts has carved out a nice protected living under CP's shadow.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The first question for Coach Jim Zorn was to evaluate Campbell's brief outing that got him a passer rating of 39.6.

THIS STORY
Campbell, Offense Still Struggling
Summary: Redskins 17, Steelers 13
Boswell: Proceed With Caution

Zen's first words were "very good." Next came, "He is doing a great job on his decision-making." Great?

"We moved the ball well," said Campbell, even though the Redskins would have gone three-and-out in their first possession if Zorn hadn't succeeded with a run from punt formation. Of his two long bombs, both of which hit Steeler hands first, not his receivers, Campbell said, "We will start hitting them soon.

----------

All righty, then!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

JC is afraid of throwing interceptions it looks like. Just throw the ball already.

He needs to know like my daddy use to say.

Iffin' ya' good but afraid to throw an interception, ya' might not jus' have the hankerin' ta' be great.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 23, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame about Ray.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Larry hits the hammer on the head and drives the nail into the wood.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

76-84 under Snyder and a stunningly poor 112-143-1 since the first time Gibbs left. Perhaps what's most amazing, and probably admirable, is the town and the team's capacity for resilience. Or delusion.

-Thomas Boswell

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Zorn saying that Campbell did a good job last night either shows filial loyalty to JC or a Goebbels-esque display of front office propaganda..Sick of sputtering offense that can't hit the zygote- TOUCHDOWNS NOW!! TOUCHDOWNS NOW!! TOUCHDOWNS NOW!!

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

F Boswell. We're not deluded. Championship!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

And to further my non-delusional point, Brian Orakpo will be runner-up for ROY to....wait for it...

Marko Mitchell.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Ray,

being critical of the team has nothing to do with whether or not someone's a fan. I get it, you think it's premature all the criticism of JC, I disagree as he has had a few years to progress and I think he hasn't. Do you? Really?
The truth about play calling is we really don't know if the plays that have been called have been executed or did JC or another member of the O not execute the play that was called. We all can see the errant throws, but not which play was called versus what transpired.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

When Sellers went down, I thought, there goes our season.. Skins dont have a capable FB backup. Luckily it appearst to be only a bruise..but I will wait to be sure. Big Mike had a nice kick-out block on one run. Keith Eloi showed something at the receiver position and on special teams coverage..although he was clearly outgunned by Dorsey on punt returns.And it was a nice strip by Davis on the fumble. So far it looks like no one has stepped up to replace Thrash at the gunner position on special teams. Devin Thomas was looking OK at times last year as gunner but I have not seen him this year. Once again Reed Doughty was in position to make plays and this year, was able to make the tackle in the open field. Reed is playing lights out as far as I am cocerned. Chris Wilson ditto, another really solid game.. Both are playing themselves into being more than role players but co-starters.

Posted by: iseyij | August 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I think people are looking at the 1-7 JC stat and making it the biggest, most negative thing in the world, and unnecessarily so.

No, JC didn't look great last night. But you gotta look at what plays were there and weren't there to be made before you throw a hissy fit.

Should JC have hit CP on the screen, even though it woulda gotten CP killed? Or was throwing the ball into the dirt/water the right thing to do? I'd rather him throw the ball away and give them another shot to make a play, rather than get his RB killed and lose three yards in the process.

He's making his reads and going through his progressions. People whined that he stared down receivers last year, and he no longer does that, so its on to something else to complain about.

I'm not at all concerned about accuracy from JC. Wasn't that the biggest issue last night, accuracy? If he had nailed 4 of 7 or 5 of 7 passes, people would find something else to complain about, I'm sure.

CSN interviewed him post-game, and he discussed the first play of the game. He said that when he saw Kelly cross polamalu's face, he knew he had a shot deep. What he didn't expect was Kelly's speed, and he said he was surprised about his acceleration at that point, which is why he underthrew him. This makes since, sense they haven't really attempted to hook up deep in a live game situation. Recevier - QB chemistry is going to take a few plays or games to really get going.

Long rant, sorry, but people just need to relax a tiny bit. Call for a QB change after week 5 or 6 if he's still going 4 for 28, not after 4 series of work in the preseason.

Posted by: -swb | August 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse