Davis now must 'really come to play'

Not surprisingly, the telephone of tight end Fred Davis blew up with text messages and voicemails after his performance in Monday night's loss to the Eagles. In one game, Davis surpassed his career totals for receiving yards, scored his first touchdown and nearly matched his career mark for catches. He entered the game with 72 yards on 10 catches. After Chris Cooley left the game early in the second quarter with a broken bone in his ankle, Davis had eight receptions for 78 yards in essentially three quarters.

The team is expected to put Cooley on the season-ending injured reserve list in the next few days, which means the Redskins will be looking for Davis to match Monday's production regularly.

"It's hard to fill somebody's shoes like that. He's a Pro Bowler guy," Davis said Tuesday. "All I need is an opportunity to make plays, and I'm going to make some."

Coach Jim Zorn complimented Davis for "picking up the slack."

"Now he's going to have to really come to play," Zorn said.

The Redskins began Monday's game with a two-tight end set, which meant Davis started for the first time this season and the third time in his career. While the team will likely sign a third tight end before its next game -- Nov. 8 at Atlanta -- Davis will likely be the starting tight end the rest of the way. With an offense that relies on short routes and quick passes and an offensive line that doesn't give Jason Campbell much time in the pocket, the team needs him to evolve into a major force.

"Chris makes a lot of plays out there," Davis said, "so to be able to have some plays he can make and try to do the same - I mean, I can try to fill his shoes, but he's Chris Cooley, a Pro Bowler. I can just do the best that I can do."

Despite the impressive statistics against Philadelphia, there was plenty of room for improvement in Davis' performance Monday night. He still struggles in pass protection and one play before catching his first career touchdown, he failed to handle a Campbell pass in the end zone.

Of the botched touchdown catch, Davis said: "You don't really get a lot of chances to make plays in this league. ... To get a second chance was great."

But the bigger problems going forward will be his blocking. Davis knows he's responsible for at least one of the six sacks Campbell faced Monday.

"I feel like that's definitely something that I'm going to really focus on in the bye week around here, trying to get better at it," Davis said. "Just technique. It's different when you do it in practice. The game speed is like 10 times faster. It's just one of them things with timing and technique."

He'll have help doing that, the head coach promised.

"Scott Wachenheim, our tight ends coach, will do a great job getting Fred Davis ready," said Zorn. "Todd Yoder will do a great job. In fact, Chris Cooley will do a good job hanging in there and helping us get ready."

Zorn said the entire team will help "in any way we can."

"We're a football team and this is what happens when a football team gets injuries," Zorn said. "The bottom line is to win. Nobody really cares that guys get injured - I mean, you feel bad, but the team moves on. The team will stay together and the team will put our great effort to pick up that slack."

By Rick Maese  |  October 27, 2009; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato: Roster was capable of reaching playoffs
Next: Redskins plan to use bye week to heal

Comments

I am officially pirating a good thing and referring to the present owner as 'Dear Leader' or Dan Snyd-il. The VP of FO shall continue to be referred to, where possible, as Chief Wiener Locker.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 27, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 27, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

n all fairness, the vast majority of us here thought we were going to the playoffs this year - myself included.

But clearly we aren't. This offense has been outed as a colossal failure that has been poorly built from the foundation on up.

Heads should roll, and Vinny should be first in line. It's that simple.

Posted by: p1funk | October 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

Certainly I wasn't down for 2-5 at this point, but I didn't think we were better than the Giants and Cowboys. The Eagles ripped apart their lines and blew up some veterans, so I expected them to be in the cellar, but any rational examination of the talent in the preseason would not make us favorites.

Once you compare our 'talent' to other teams, the luster starts to wear off.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 27, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

We were 8-8 last year, and we improved the defense.

We figured that simply being in year 2 of the same offense would give us a boost.

When we coupled this with a weak/favorable schedule alot of folks were up here saying 10-6 and 11-5.

It was all Fool's gold and we bought it.

Our cognitive dissonance kicked into full gear, even though we knew our O-line was seriously faulty.

We knew deep down that Portis was finished, but few of us acknowledged it.

We hoped, with little actual reason to do so, that our young pass catchers would blossom.

We bought the Fool's Gold...now it's time for our broke-arses to pull a possee together and take down the clown that sold it to us...

Posted by: p1funk | October 27, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I remember that. Unfortunately, JC has significantly regressed since then. His fundamentals have fallen inconsistent, he's progressing through his reads way too quickly, and his ball security has dropped back to 2007 levels. The entire offense is nearly completely inept, especially the offensive line, but Campbell is not playing well right now regardless. He still has enough talent that when he settles down for stretches of the game he shows the flashes that made him so good for the start of 2008, but those moments are showing up too few and far between. This offense doesn't have the overall talent to mask an inconsistent QB for 2 quarters a game.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 3:37 PM

You're almost there. I got faith in you though. You're too smart not to get over this hump. Keep up the good work. :)

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Good for Davis -- hope he can help out the rest of the way...

Side note: Bean, not trying to get in the middle of anything, but JReid has written often on the blog about Davis still being lost, forgetting plays, etc. Point is he can't block well and was behind Cooley, so not a real chance he would play until now unless he earned his time, especially with the question of his reliability. Maybe he'll prove himself now...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

BG, you made the paper in some pretty big type, top of the fold.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"Now he's going to really have to come to play"

...as opposed to the previous 16 months of his time on this roster when it was OK for him to show up and bring nothing???

Posted by: p1funk | October 27, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Davis still being lost, forgetting plays

He looked pretty good last night didn't he?? All I'm saying is that maybe the coach was WRONG in labeling this guy the way he did. I saw a pretty athletic TE, who they probably should have been calling plays for since last year. Yeah, I know Cooley is the starter, but does that mean you let Davis rot on the bench. Utilize your assets. Maybe if they got him more involved, Cooley catches 20 fewer balls, but is exponentially fresher during the year, and breaks more tackles...

lh?? I don't get it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is right. On paper, this is clearly a playoff caliber team, and its also the most talented team in the NFL. The only way you could possibly explain a 2-5 record is that Jim Zorn is the worst coach in America, and as of last night, Sherman Lewis must be the second worst. How in the world do you call plays so poorly that the best RB in the league can only get 43 yards rushing on 14 carries???

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh man we are so screwed, easily one of the all time low moments as a fan, watching 47 get carted off the field during that atrocious display they put on last night. Simply pathetic.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I blame the Washington Post and also the fluoride in the water.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

What do my sphincter and Vinny Cerrato have in common?

They both expel copious amounts of gas for no apparent reason.

And nobody likes to around afterwards...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 27, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

JohnnyRyde -- true, if it wasn't for the media our record would be at least 4-3, and the Post is the worst offender. Sally Jenkins alone probably cost one win.

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM

I'm pretty sure you're joking...

On paper they are 2-5 and Portis is the 5th best RB in the NFC East.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Davis still being lost, forgetting plays

lh?? I don't get it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM

Absolutely. They should do the same with Devin Thomas. He looks like he's starting to get it and he adds an explosive element they've been lacking. If Kelly can't do it get Marko in there as well.

Posted by: skinswest | October 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

BTW, anyone got any screen shots or youtube footage of Danny Smith nearly assaulting the ref during that bizarre "oops, we penalized the wrong team" punt? That interaction was sadly the best part of the game.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

____________

Ceratto isn't right. The defensive roster is playoff caliber. The talent on offense is putrid.

The offensive line as a whole is probably worst in the league. His whole plan this year revolved around two old injury prone players making it through the year, with a bunch of nothing backing them up. And Heyer starting? ugh...

Portis isn't the type of back that can play behind this line and be productive.

Campbell sucks. He can't hit open receivers when they are open, and sometimes he doesn't even see them. He just doesn't have the on field awareness to run an offense.

I'll give some of the young receivers a pass because I don't think we'll know how good or bad they are until we have a new functional OL and a decent quarterback.

You are what your record says you are. It's not a playoff caliber team, if it had the talent... it would at least beat the Chiefs and the Lions despite coaching.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

BG, one of your comments was printed in The Post's sports section. I am one of the few remaining people in the world who reads the print edition.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I blame the Washington Post and also the fluoride in the water.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009

Surely its the Commies, Al Quaeda, or the Taliban that are at fault. Can't possibly be Dan or Vinny.

Posted by: periculum | October 27, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Vinny makes Dexter sound like a Toastmaster's alumni. 68 days left on Vinny's current contract.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 27, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

What happened on that play? I saw the flag fly, saw a debatable late hit, said, cool, it's time the breaks go our way, and then, nada (I don't listen to the announcers for NFL games, as no one has said anything new on TV since the Redskins were in Boston)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 27, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

...Fred Davis is going to have more TDs than Cooley - book it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 3:36 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was obvious, but I guess I better clarify, yes, I was joking!!! The roster is pitiful, and even most of our "good" players are over rated.

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: james808d | October 27, 2009 4:54 PM

James...Jimmy...Jim, c'mon now man. It's obviously Jasno's fault. He was so negative as a beat reporter, that these players have lost their mojo. I blame Janso. It's all on him.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 27, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

You guys stop being so negative. If we're so negative then the Skins lose and if the Skins lose then the terrorists win.

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is going to have more TDs than Cooley - book it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 3:36 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 5:00 PM

Going out on a limb there aren't you?

Cooley 2 TD
Davis 1 TD

Posted by: skinswest | October 27, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 4:57 PM

I saw it too. I told my kids at breakfast, "I know this guy." It was your comment about "Cork, ur an idiot." No, it was a different one. The paper's upstairs and I'm downstairs. Do you want me to mail it to you so you can show your kids?

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Which of Bean's pithy declarations made it in? I'm so proud when one of our Hamsters gets published!

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Skinswest I said it in May.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 27, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 27, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

As if it makes any difference how Davis performs. This team stinks, and the only questions are:
1. Will the humiliation of this season be enough to get Snyder to break character and get a good GM?
2. Where will the Skins draft next year? Of course w/o a new GM, it won't matter.

Posted by: chris_zz | October 27, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

SEASONTICKETS1966:

Looks like you and I pretty much agree on things REDSKINS. And that's 104 years of REDSKINS viewing experience between us. Maybe we've learned something all these years while remaining steadfast to the D.C. franchise. Hat's off to you and your assessments.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"He still struggles in pass protection" - That's an understatement. Davis is pathetic in protection. Incidentally living out here in PDX this is the first game I got to saw all season. Wow the off line sux (knew it was bad but this was an eye-popper). On one play they had 8 - EIGHT guys on the line and Campbell STILL got sacked :). The only way he does not get sacked is if BMW carries him and the remaining form a cordon around him with with a 12th man on offense included :)

Posted by: byThorbyOdin | October 27, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

DAN-DAN's mental approach to all things REDSKINS is, I am truely omniscient. Therefore, what others think or say regarding my actions is irrelevant. The worse things become the more I dig in and fight. This is going to come out with the REDSKINS as WORLD CHAMPIONS. Then I'll show all the nay-sayers and little people.

NOTE TO DAN:

What's the definition of insanity again? Oh yes, doing the same thing over and again, then expecting a different result.

STOP subverting the authority of the people you put in charge of this franchise. Your micro-managing is destroying the club.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 27, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the skins are finally forced to get Davis involved. He blocks about the same as Cooley. Put him out there and let him make plays for you. Same with Thomas and Kelly. I wouldn't mind seeing more Marko and less Randle El also.

Posted by: coparker5 | October 27, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Sleepy gotz skills...he has more speed than Cooley and just as good with his hands...I think he would be better at blocking by now had Zorn used him more...This may sound wrong but if Sleepy ball-out the remainder of the season we may can move Cooley for a 2nd & 5th rounder and get some O-linemen in here..I say this with hesitation because I like Captain Chaos but he has value and we need to do something about this O-line

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 27, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about next year uncapped season is that we can unload:
ARE - Scared! Period.
Portis - Done. Padding the numbers.
Sellers - 600,000 bonus
#12 - activate LL(MM).
Rock Cartwright - Does not touch the ball
Bettis - slow cannot block.
Zorn - New duties: Qaulity Control, Quarter Back coach, Enforces Execution

Posted by: zariah | October 27, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"It was all Fool's gold and we bought it."

Posted by: p1funk | October 27, 2009 4:37 PM

Correction: you bought it. I didn't buy it. ESPN didn't buy it. JLC didn't buy it. A lot of folks didn't buy it.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 27, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

"..This may sound wrong but if Sleepy ball-out the remainder of the season we may can move Cooley for a 2nd & 5th rounder and get some O-linemen in here..I say this with hesitation because I like Captain Chaos but he has value and we need to do something about this O-line

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 27, 2009 6:47 PM

Yeah, it's fund to speculate what the Redskins could get for Chris Cooley although anything higher than a third rounder is unlikely IMO. Unfortunately Dan Snyder makes these decisions and it's highly unlikely he'd dump a fan favorite like CC.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 27, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I'm glad they're going to really concentrate on technique during the bye week..............someone remind me, what's camp and preseason for?

Posted by: RealConservative | October 28, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"It was all Fool's gold and we bought it."

Posted by: p1funk | October 27, 2009 4:37 PM

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 27, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

You got it Pepper. and the ones who voiced that they weren't buying it got villified....similar to those who did not believe that there was enough evidence that Iraq had WMDs to justify an invasion....and the Snyder policies strangely echo the now departed Republicans (in congress and the WH) of squashing dissent by denial and questioning loyalties.

Before you ask - registered Republican for 25 years who did not vote for Gore or Kerry...but I won't get fooled again. And Mr. Steele, like Mr. Snyder, has an uphill climb to get me to come back and start contributing money again.

Cerrato is the Tricky Dick Cheney of Pro football.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 28, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

...and since I was dunb ebought to bring up politics...didya notice that ALL of your credit cards are charging interest of 29.99% all of a sudden. That is thanks to laws passed and ratified by GWB and congress in favor of the credit companies. It use to be that when interest rates went down, so did the rates that credit cards charged. Oh, that reminds me, I've got to cancel my CC with the Redskins logo.

Posted by: HughGRection | October 28, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse