Deacon Jones recalls a young Bruce Allen

One of the odd things about the media center at the Super Bowl is that you can turn your head in any direction, and you might catch a glimpse of a Hall of Famer. They go from table to table, radio station to radio station to hawk some product or support some cause.

When I walked up to Mike Wise's radio booth, he was talking to Deacon Jones about prostates. But they moved on to chat about the Redskins and the Allen family.

Jones, 71, was extremely close to George Allen and fondly remembers Bruce Allen, George's son and now Washington's general manager, who was a young boy when Jones was playing.

"He was a terrible kid," Jones joked on "The Mike Wise Show" on 106.7 The Fan. "We taped him up and put him in the phone booth.

"He was in love with football. He followed the game, studied the game, his dad taught him the game. You just knew from the beginning that he was going to be involved in the game. I'm just proud of what he's done."

By Rick Maese  |  February 3, 2010; 2:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis praises running backs coach Bobby Turner
Next: Cooley plays reporting game at the Super Bowl

Comments

hehe

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

It's better to be the best than FIRST.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

word, red....word

Posted by: chrislarry

----------

cL is a fan of perverse profanity?

now that's keepin it real.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

word chia...word

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Wilson - truth be DAMNED! Just shut him up... H8.

Deacon Jones is 71?! wow.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

It's not that CP was wrong in fact, just that his statements and actions publically undermined the authority of his coach and alienated his team mates.

We all got to watch the wheels come off.

I don't question his capabilities on the field, but wonder what is left in the tank.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

He's a consummate professional, the exact opposite of someone like CP.

just sayin...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:15 PM

Snitching is a trait of a consummate professional????

Or Crying to the MEdia???

COME ON MAN!! Shanahan will have NONE of this......

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 3, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Whats the matter, are you angry because you think everyone hates the DMV and they don't?

Not everyone is b*tch made like you. Good to know that I'm still on your mind. Like I tell all those here that hate my style: It ain't changing, I'll be blocked before I do that, so get used to it.

Don't you have some Mormon ball-licking to catch up on? Any piece of sh*t that sells-out to get ahead, ain't nothing but ballsack lint anyway, IMO...

What a pathetic loser you must be. Say whatever the hell you have to say back, but this sh*t ain't carrying on for the third day. Before I do that, you'll be doing it by yourself.

Which is what I'm sure your wife tells you on the regular, so nothing new for you there, assclown.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 3, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

but Rock has kept his mouth shut for his ENTIRE CAREER, save for last season, when he had a justifiable gripe to voice.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

BTW Rock Cartwright is the WaPo's unnamed source in a lot of these stories.

So he may not sign his name next to what he says but I bet Rock does a lot more talking than you think.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Sigh....

Same old RI...

Someday we will all be adults.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

... I was done with Rock two years ago. There's no way we should keep a 30+ year old career 3rd stringer when that roster spot can go to a great prospect instead. And after all his whining at the end of the season? ...

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:15 PM

Rock's listing on the roster as RB is only incidental. His position here is as the QB/MLB of special teams.

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

4th, you have to consider the source backing Cartwright.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Deacon Jones recalls a young Bruce Allen"

WOW. Talk about a dry period for Skins news. Is it late June already?

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

oh and red,

one final word on our little e fight.

you obviously post what you wanna post whenever you wanna post it.

and you're as dirty as you wanna be, and often funny.

but keep the "your mama," "your wife," "your daddy" talk out of the conversation, when it comes to a certain clay figurine.

either that or ignore me all together, and I'll extend you the same courtesy.

but to expect to drop the atomic bomb of insults on another hamster and for them NOT to retaliate.

well that's not keepin' it real, is it?

and other than that, it's apparent you give the gift of depravity, but can't stand when someone DARES to stand up to you.

other than that, peace to you, and keep on bloggin your guts out.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The coach who was already undermined by his superiors (Shanny on the way in) and who was courted by CP but subsequently rejected him...

We all got to watch the wheels come off.
No argument there - though I feel the blame is on the coarches. They should have worked it out and not shelved CPo for a bunch of 'walk ons'

Inherent contradiction aside, it's a valid worry. That yields a 'wait and see', don't it?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I get it. CPo is irritating to many. If one can separate their visceral reaction from an analysis of his statements, it's pretty easy to see what happened and expect something different this time.

Onion other hand, if he can't get it together for Shanny, he may as well hang up the cleats... at least in the NFL.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Ryp, I'm cool.

I know many people don't dig on how I roll up here, and that's cool.

Look at my vile rhetorics against those who hate my style as a crusader crusading on the crusaders.

"I gotta keep my doo-rag on"

Posted by: RedDMV | February 3, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 2:15 PM

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 3:11 PM |

+++

Sounds like a good job for one of our younger LB's.

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

BTW Rock Cartwright is the WaPo's unnamed source in a lot of these stories.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

That just makes so much sense. How do you know this? I've axksed the Mayor multiple times to come clean on the bias with little to show for it. This would explain plenty.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Lmao.... this is some funny sh*t.

A dude draws up some ACSII bullsh*t middle finger directed at me, I do what I do and got at him for it, but somehow I'm in the wrong?

Whatever.. LOL! So it's alright for other people to go on me however they choose, but if I do it, then I need to reprimanded by you?

Right, I'm going to stop talking about people's family members... you got it, you're the boss. You're obvisouly running sh*t here, so I'll listen to you.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 3, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 3, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

just a guess.

Mike Sellers would be my other guess

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Keep on being classy, red.

Game over.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 3, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

... You can find ST guys anywhere, you don't need to lock up one of our RB spots for years with a position usually reserved for a developmental player. ...

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 3:18 PM

I agree that roster depth has to be able to play special teams, but I don't agree that you can stick in anyone to audible on the field during the play and between the whistles. Seems like you'd want someone who has seen alot of whatever might happen. Also, when during Portis' tenure here (other than the end of this season) has RB been a developmental spot? With the amount of money tied up there, its been a luxury to even carry three RBs. The RB spot has been Portis and the other RB has been Betts, and it hasn't been close to being a tandem. The only reason Rock played RB was because both guys were down ... and then they brought in Ganther, who was not developed. You don't need to 'develop' a RB like you do a QB or route runner or offensive lineman, you just need to give them the ball and tell them not to fumble. RBs either can or can't chip block (or more accurately, are willing to or are not).

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Mike Sellers would be my other guess

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 3, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Also Shaun Suisham

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 3, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | February 3, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Taking offense at red & especially at "your mom" jokes is almost as funny as his tirades...

Posted by: chrislarry | February 3, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Trading JC, though, might render a low 3rd or 4th rounder. It also means the fourth pick as to be a quarterback that's going to be groomed.

I'd trade Campbell, and draft Clausen figuring he will walk in and on day one understanding how NFL offenses work.

My third or fourth rounder becomes another linemen to go with the lineman I took in round 2.

Of course, none of this is going to happen.

Which is why we have to be honest about this team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 3, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree with you Moe if I really felt there was a QB in this draft that was worthy of the overall 4th pick. I can justify Okung as he's the best O-line prspect this draft and fills a HUGE need for the next 10 years, but neither Bradford or Clausen scream franchise QB to me. If we could trade down and grab either of them later in the first while picking up a couple more picks, then sure, but I don't see that happening. In the end, we know what to expect with JC, for better or worst, and since we're not going anywhere in the playoffs for the next couple of years, why not grab a qb with the 4th or 5th round and keep JC as a stop-gap while Shanny coaches them up?

Posted by: DCinSD | February 3, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Sween -

I said:

"I want three RB's that are actually good RB's - not ST hold on's. That way, we have some variety, and if we get somebody hurt, we can still get the job done."

Where do you see me talking about developing a RB? I agree RB's develop quickly. But I still think this team would have been way better off with a true Rb instead of Rock.

You make it sound like ST's are hard.

They aren't.

They are what you play while you are learning the hard stuff - like being a starter on O or D. I think a player has the term of one contract to look like a starter or see ya. Otherwise, you get stuck with a roster full of mediocre players that nobody is afraid of. Sound like any team you can think of lately?

Posted by: edvar | February 3, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

we need to get some run outta Eddie Williams this year. Hope he comes off IR strong. Sellers is 35 and hasn't been the Caveman in a while.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | February 3, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Deacon Jones is one funny man. I was listening to this interview, laughing my arse off. Listening to him talk, it's quite clear the affection he has for the Allen family and the Redskins organization despite only playing one year here (he threw in an "HTTR"!) I'd love to find a spot for him in the front office, even if just ceremonial.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | February 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

edvar

I think you are underestimating the importance of special teams. You just cant plug anyone into those roles. Not everyone is willing the run down the field like a mad man. I think its foolish to assume that someone like Anthony Aldridge could be substituted for Rock and you get the same result. There is a reason why players like Larry Izzo and Kasim Osgood have made careers out of special teams.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 3, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse