Musings on Hall, Walker and KGB

If DeAngelo Hall is placed on waivers, I don't think the Skins would claim him. Yes, Vinny Cerrato explored trading for him with the Falcons over the summer, but that was at a time when Carlos Rogers's health was very much in question, and even then the Skins didn't pull the trigger.

Hall can be very disruptive and the Skins have a great chemistry and emerging star in Rogers. This is becoming his secondary and he is being given every chance to show he can be a top shutdown corner. Hall is used to being The Man, he doesn't always play nice with others, and, frankly, he hasn't been making a whole lot of plays in recent years.

Someone may claim him on waivers, but Washington's 6-3 record puts the team at the back of that line. Now, if he clears waivers and you get away from having to pick up that $16 million contract, then maybe you sniff around. But I wouldn't assume Al Davis's contract on this guy, especially when, to me, there are more pressing needs at wide receiver and on the defensive line.

As for Walker, he has not been informed of any impending move and has been given no indication that he will be released, according to sources. The Redskins may be ready to put Malcolm Kelly on the injured reserve list next week, and sign a replacement, but there's no guarantee Walker will be available then, or ever.

Also, according to sources, the Skins have expressed no interest in defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, who cleared waivers Monday night. One scout told me that Gbaja-Biamila has been wearing tape on his lower body, has looked slower and less explosive than he did in his prime and, being a speed rusher, that's bad news.

"He's never been a real instinctive pass rusher. He just had that disruptive speed off the corner," the scout said. "So if that's not there, you're not left with much."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 5, 2008; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sean Taylor to Be Honored
Next: Fashion Faux Pas?

Comments

F Irst

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Hall has "Cowboy" written all over him. Good. I just hope we make some sort of offer to jack the price up for the 'Boys.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 5, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hall for Punt Returner!

[With the Election only a day away (in the other direction), I just can't put these "So and So for Something" signs.]

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Look, Dallas is desperate for help at CB. That's where Hall will end up. All we can do by getting into the middle of it is to jack up the price for the Cowboys. And, that seems like a good thing to me.
Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 5, 2008 1:34 PM |
Agreed. This has Jerry Jones all over it.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 5, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Alex I think CP will go for about 150 and 2 touchdowns against the G Men. He is going to be so pump. I wouldn't be suprise to see Dirty Thirty lay someone out. Remember it was reported that the Reaper took him home every day.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 5, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 5, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

jm220,

I have a sneaking suspicion that dirty 30 will be looking for a litte payback against #27 of the g-men.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if the Boys signed all three of these players (if all three become available). Stupid signings like that have Jerrruh's signature already on the checks.

Posted by: Gfunk | November 5, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope he goes to the "boys" and struggles like mad to cover our WRs, and in frustration puntches TO causes a riot on their bench and re-breaks romo's finger.

To mUch?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

E I hope so. He needs to light him up. I mean have him rolling around the ground for about 5 min. I mean have that fear that T.O. when he saw the Reaper coming near him.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 5, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Dont forget Tana, he will be syced.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

We need help at DB, claim the black male. Good day for afro americans today !!!!!!!!!!!!! 1st OBAMA then hall gets released from his master. Pick the dude up.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 5, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

now you're talking :)

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

OK.

I'm starting to think poolman isn't serious.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

No to all three. CB who can't cover, WR who can't play, and a Speed Rusher losing his speed.

First time I've heard about the Skins being interested in trading for Hall from the above post. Thats news I never heard before.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 5, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

poolman is definitely a troll trying to rile us up. Some kind of a reverse racism "joke."

Don't take the bait, people. We're better than that.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

poolman isn't serious about anything other than being an a$$.

If Hall clears waivers, he's worth a meeting with Zorn and Blache, if they end up comfortable with him, then sign him to the vet minimum, for the rest of this year only.

See what happens from there.

I don't think the Skins need to do anything crazy for WR either, if Kelly does go on IR, they'll promote Aromashodu from the PS, and maybe look for another "up and comer" for the PS.

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I give Landry credit for lowering his shoulder on Brandon Jacobs, even though he got steamrolled.

Not sure how he showed his face in the locker room after that pathetic display.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 5, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Anyone thing LL is in a softmore slump this year?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I THINK POOLMAN IS SERIOUS ABOUT THE RENT MONEY. I SAW A BLACK MAN THIS AFTERNOON HUDDLED ON ONE OF THE STEAM GRATES DOWNTOWN. I DON'T KNOW HOW HE GETS INTERNET ACCESS THERE, BUT THE ECONOMIC DEVASTATION OF THE FAILED BUSH YEARS IS CLEAR.

Posted by: daggar | November 5, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me the white males who comment on this blog have no idea we have something called freedom of speech. I guess this would be a fair fight if 99% of you guys wasn't white making the comments. Pick Hall up we need more flavor in that locker room. Starting to look like the senate floor in the 1940's to me.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 5, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I can honestly say that, unlike the "power back" in Dallas, Brandon Jacobs is not overrated. That dude is a stud.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

People, Hall is a greedy, money hungry fool. He's not going to sign for "vet minimum" just to play for the Redskins. Keep dreaming.

Posted by: Gfunk | November 5, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Alex I think it has more to do with the hamstring.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 5, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Poolman, speaking of freedom of speech, how bout you fly out here and lick my taint?

Seriously, I'll even bleech it for ya.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 5, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs is a beast of a one trick poney. I am not sure what Poolman is trying to do, if he is trying some revers race bating crazy voodoo mind game thing or what. Its kina all over the place.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I actually think that LL has played very well this year. He's got the downfield stuff handled and is very rarely challenged, which is why you don't hear his name called much.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

poolman...you sound pretty racist to me...very sad.

Posted by: agcoony | November 5, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Etrod,
That would explan Hortons # I guess.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

... Starting to look like the senate floor in the 1940's to me.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 5, 2008 2:00 PM

I don't get it ... you mean carpeted?

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

also, Horton is playing where LL played most of last season.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

As long as he didn't get hurt, LaRon should practice tackling Mike Sellers. That would get him ready for Brandon Jacobs... or pretty much anybody, unless the Fridge makes a comeback.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

they'll promote Aromashodu from the PS

craig, I think they'd bring up Gant, as he's been here since Training Camp, but who knows...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 5, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it ... you mean carpeted?

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 2:09 PM |

I'm guessing he's refering more to those cool little legal lamps they all have.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 5, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

We don't need black or white in the secondary, we need good football players. Any idiot that thinks being black or white makes them a better player should have their internet rights revoked.

On that note we have much more pressing needs, like WR who can run the right routes and OL who can pass protect.

Posted by: dodo1939 | November 5, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

daggar, hilarious...

sween, hilarious...

blog in general, funny, funny... it's best up here when the mood is light... hmm, what could possibly have lifted the mood up here after that bad loss to PGH?...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think he was referring to the abundance of clinchpoops in the Senate during the 40's.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Is Mike Espy available?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Love the stupid racism (isn't that redundant). So here goes

Q: What do you call a black person who flies airplanes?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I think LL has been a little slower this year due to the hammy which is obviously still nagging. he is still making the plays we are asking him to but he seems a bit off. Hopefully this break does him some good.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 5, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

A: A pilot, you racist

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 5, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gfunk | November 5, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Then he doesn't get signed, why not give it a shot if they think he's worth it after a meeting of the minds?

BeantownGreg -- perhaps, I was thinking along the lines of the fact that he showed some pretty good stuff in the preseason with the Colts, while Gant really didn't get much done. Doesn't mean Gant can't, but at least they have choices.

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:16 PM

I forget, which year did they change from the outhouse to indoor plumbing on the Senate side?

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, right, they had to take that little train (the Clinchpoop Express) from the basement of the Capitol over to their office building.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Being the ingorant racist that I am, the only cornerback I will push for the Redskins to sign will be Jason Sehorn.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

2007.

See I thought the 40's senate was a refrenc to FDR's wheel chair ramp for the State of the Union(s).

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"That punk on the Cowgirls, Mike Jenkins, looked like a traffic cop on that last Giants TD by Derrick Ward.

That was haliarous, that guys Bit*hed out like no other, it looked like he was strining up some velvet rope for him to run through."

note that Mike Jenkins is a rookie

note that if he was a rookie on our team and did that, this board would meltdown like no other.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 5, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

It could be that it was a reference to the Pre "Kiss my bumper" days at Senate Auto insurance. Those were tough times.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 5, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

poolman are you retarded?

Posted by: marleyb313 | November 5, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Overheard in the halls of the U.S. Senate, "Make way, we got a clincher coming through!" [followed by an august gentleman hurriedly walking by with very short steps]

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd give Javon Walker a shot for a very small contract if he clears waivers. The guy has proven he can be dominant at this level, but seems to have his mind out of sorts since Darrent Williams was killed, and certainly his injury history hasn't helped. I wouldn't take into too much account his performances in Oakland -- even Randy Moss, arguably the most talented WR of all-time, couldn't cut it there. But given the complete lack of production out of our 5th WR, and extremely limited production out of #3 and #4, I'd definitely give him a shot just to see if he can be productive. Maybe a good QB, grounded team philosophy, and great foundation of leadership could provide the environment to get him back on track, or at least productive enough to help this team.

Posted by: psps23 | November 5, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

You have not lived in DC until you have seen an elected official do something embarrasingish. Or slept with one. Or blackmailed. My most recent fun moment was seeing Rep. Jessie Jackson Jr. zipping down South Cap. on a segway, and showboating on it to the guards.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

How do you get hooked up with this JLC chat thing? I submitted a question and can't log onto the discussion?

Posted by: captjim | November 5, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Get ready to hit the "Report abuse" button on this one ... George Brett does NOT clinchpoop.

Posted by: dcsween | November 5, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Focusing on the 3/4/5 WR is missing the point... yeah, it would be nice to have dudes "producing" at wideout down the depth chart, but right now, this season, we are utterly dependent on Santana Moss being healthy, and Chris Samuels being healthy, and the running game being healthy. If any of those three elements are missing, there's not a whole hell of a lot Soup can do, as we saw the other night. WR depth is a problem, but it's not the problem.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

This steelers blog is so funny! I hope everyone shows up to our next home game that was a great showing monday night steeler fans keep it up!

Posted by: Dfan | November 5, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

will we be able to see Sean Taylor's induction into the Ring of Fame/ceremony on TV??

Posted by: rachel216 | November 5, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Dfan I am suprised you were able to walk to your computer after having the giants running game so far up your a$$. and just to drop some hate mail on the team that is 2 games ahead of you in the division good work.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 5, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Could care less if he is a rookie or a 15 year vet if you dont want to tackle get off the feild, dern straight id be bit*hin about that here in just glad he is in D, thats a more appropriate place for USF kids, ill take the U kids.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 5, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Dbag = Dfan

Posted by: RedDMV | November 5, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Alex, you mentioned LaRon earlier... man, I don't know whats up with LaRon Landry. I was thinking that his lack of particpation in preseason was only because he was "saving" himself for the wear and grind of the season.

Someone suggested that the reason we don't hear a lot about Landry is because the defense rarely throws in his direction or at all. But I don't know, that catch Ward made on the goal line seemed liked it could've been knocked out of his hands by Landry.

Sometimes I wonder if all he is concerned about is blowing bamas up. If so he's right on par with Taylor :)

Taylor's first couple of years (Man, I miss that dude) was all about striking fear in the minds of his opponents. I think Landry, like Taylor, knew this was important as a safety in this league. So while the first couple of years will be the learning curve, you can't teach bell ringing, and this is what LaRon strengths are at this time.

Ching-ching-ching--happy hollidays!!!!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | November 5, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just for you DFan:

JENKINS ON DEION IMPERSONATION: THERE WAS A SAFETY THERE TOO
Posted by Josh Alper on November 5, 2008, 2:45 p.m. EST
Tim McMahon gave Cowboys corner Mike Jenkins a chance to explain why he chose not to try and tackle Giants running back Derrick Ward during a touchdown run in the fourth quarter on Sunday.

“I was just waiting on the safety to make a play,” Jenkins said. “It just looked different. I really can’t explain it.”

You can see how different it looked from most tackling opportunities for yourself. Jenkins then said that he thought he would take the legs out from under his teammate Kevin Burnett if he tried to make the tackle. Why that’s worse than a touchdown is beyond my figuring, but Jenkins wasn’t quite done trying to wriggle his way out of accountability for the non-tackle.

“I wasn’t the only one there,” Jenkins said. “Everybody’s pointing it out like it was me, but there was a safety back there, too.”

The safety, Courtney Brown, wasn’t much better on the play. Perhaps the Cowboys should send punter Sam Paulescu out to get a helmet on the ball when they get back from their bye.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 5, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

He should have just said he messed up, that video is clear as day and hes right in the middel of it thumb up @ss.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 5, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

opt-out of tackel vs spike ball at the 1 yd line on a TD Catch? Whats your call?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Reserve the right to not defend or give higher credence to a Dal or philly player. Both are some sanctimonious scallywags.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 5, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

+++CB who can't cover, WR who can't play, and a Speed Rusher losing his speed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg ++++

Sounds like one of Dan and Vinny's FA hauls during the bad old days.

What a shock that Duh Rayduhs are just discovering that overspending for bad attitudes and/or fading former stars doesn't work.

Dan and Vinny may be finally getting that message, but they had a serious slip up with Jason Taylor, who, as it turned out, is a KGB who can dance. .

Posted by: TheCork | November 5, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I think they paniced a bit with Taylor et daniels and all.

Question for the crowed, am I a tard for being interested in the fact that we are getting a AIFL team in DC?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

LaRon is fine he is doing a different job. Everyone said when Taylor played deep that he wasn't blowing people up too. He is just being asked to do different things, and he is doing it flawlessly, one of the key reason our D is as good as its been. Also why horton racks up stats.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 5, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Am I also a tard for thinking that Byron Westbrook should try playing on it to draw some fans and show he is good enough for NFL

Posted by: alex35332 | November 5, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I figured it out. He was just running late and wasn't logged on. He didn't bother to answer my question anyway.

Posted by: captjim | November 5, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Jesus, was Jason late because he was drinking?

So many typos in that chat...wow.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 5, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

My name is Corky and I am a pro personnel director and can peg players as busts after 9 games. Jason Taylor is also a failure since he has been hurt all year. Blah blah blah dead horse beating.

Taylor put up double digit sacks every year. That trade was the right move regardless of how it has played out. Did you get your handle from the tv show Life Goes On? I wish this blog had personal preferences that you could filter out certain posters.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 5, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

My name is Corky and the Steelers have a "very VERY good" offensinve line.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 5, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 5, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Here is a quote from the AP article on Hall's release:

In his eight games in Oakland, Hall was beaten 40 times for 552 yards on 66 passes thrown his way, according to data compiled by STATS LLC. He gave up more yards than any defender this season and was tied for third worst in catches allowed.

We don't have anybody that bad on our team!

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

We don't have anybody that bad on our team!

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 4:49 PM

Finally, a good word about Tryon!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 5, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

whateves, she is hot!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 5, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, t_e, if all we have to do is compare numbers, it's nice to know Tryon's not the worst corner in the league!

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | November 5, 2008 4:57 PM

Gotta get on the field to put up bad numbers...just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 5, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Way to get the sarcasm, brownie :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 5, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I see no reason not to go after Jevon Walker. We need a WR in the worst way right now. But your talking about trying to learn routes mid season which is going to be hard for anyone. But we need some depth there.

Posted by: BC1963 | November 5, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't we go after DeAngelo Hall....lets be honest Springs is no spring chicken and his Salary is not going down with the less games he plays each season because of injury.

I say we take a shot at Hall...he's young...he's talented...and paired with Rogers, Smoot, Springs, Landry...we would have the BEST secondary in the league. Period.

Posted by: goosedude | November 6, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse