DeAngelo Hall clarifies his position on coverage plan

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall said late Monday he respects defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and did not mean to appear critical about his role on the team in comments he made earlier in the day, Hall said in an evening radio interview.

During an appearance on 106.7 The Fan, Hall clarified comments
he made about his desire to be matched against opponents' top receiver for the remainder of the season.

Hall said he was not upset about Haslett's scheme or angry at his teammates for their performance in the wake of Sunday's 30-27 loss to the Houston Texans. The Redskins squandered a 17-point, third-quarter lead before losing in overtime.

Frustrated about the late defensive breakdowns, Hall said Monday morning "from here on out, I'm going to be wherever the [expletive] ball's going. Wherever the receiver's going, that's where the [expletive] I'm going. That's the bottom line. That's something we got to do in order to win games. So that's what's going to happen."

When asked whether Haslett supported his decision, Hall replied, "It don't matter what he say. This my team. This my defense. So I'm [going to] follow the receivers around."

But during an interview on The LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes, Hall emphasized he did not intend to offend anyone. "It comes out a little harsh, a little brash, in heat of the moment," Hall said. "If I could go back and say those words differently, I would have. But I said them and I meant them."

Hall was playing the side opposite the Texans' Andre Johnson, arguably the league's top wideout, when quarterback Matt Schaub and Johnson teamed up on a 34-yard touchdown pass to help Houston tie the score at 27-27 with only 2 minutes 3 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter at FedEx Field. The play occurred on fourth and 10 and Johnson was double covered - but Hall was far away from the action.

Hall has a good relationship with Haslett, the team''s defensive play-caller. "Not taking anything away from Has," he said. "We take the lead from him."

For the first time, Hall revealed that Haslett considered changing plans late in the game to best utilize the Pro Bowl corner as Washington squandered the lead. "He started to make the adjustment [in the] middle of third quarter to [have Hall] go follow 80 [Johnson]," Hall said. But Haslett told Hall he "didn't want to do something I haven't practiced," Hall said.

When Hall said, "this my team. This my defense," he said he meant that he wants to shoulder much responsibility for the team, and players must perform on the field. "In the back of your mind, I think you always care what people think about you," Hall said. "I think my teammates know the message I'm trying to send. They understand where I'm trying to come from."

By Jason Reid  | September 20, 2010; 6:25 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins offensive line in flux
Next: Redskins Insider Live: Catch it Tuesday

Comments

I have no problems with what DeAngelo Hall said...he's been cooked a few times in the past but most corners have.

I like a DB with a little attitude and he usually backs it up.

Nothing to see here!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 20, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Amen!

Like Shanahan said, you want players who want to make plays and take on responsibility for things.

Posted by: rallenii | September 20, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

NPI = D-Man

"...I made over $500,000 last year how much did you make?"

Holy sh*t, welcome to the blog Derek "I haven't a carb since 2004!" Huff!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 20, 2010 4:39 PM |

Funny sh!t.

Hey d-bag intended, I live in San Clemente, CA. Google it d0uchebag. You ain't got sh!t on me mofo. (With a refrain from "So What" from the Anti-Nowhere League playing in my head)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 20, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins squandered a 17-point, third-quarter lead before losing in overtime."

this is what happened all you insulting people who can't understand simple logic, facts, or reality

this is on the team leaders

squandered

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 20, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Scamp, you need to go to the Stone Brewery in Escondito (not all that far from you). Make sure you take Brewery Tour where you get a decent amount of free (and really good) beer afterwards.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 20, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, are you experiencing a "heavy flow" day?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 20, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I made the same observation in the 4th quarter yesterday. Why wasn't Hall on Johnson every play? Even Rogers would be a better choice than Buchanan. The Texans exploited our coverage and got the personnel matchup that benefited them and the result was a win. I hope the staff learns from this and makes the needed switch in coverage.

Posted by: unquiltom | September 20, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

sound familiar..this from Cowboys blog..this stuff is great..The Pokes fans are killin em

OscarO
5:35 PM on September 20, 2010

Jerry Jones as GM is a joke!!! From 1966 to 1995 the Dallas Cowboys were THE premiere team in football; two NFL championship appearances, 8 Super Bowl appearances, 20 winning seasons etc. etc. We have never gone 15 years without at least going to the superbowl or winning NFC championships. Jerry Jones has ruined this team for those of us who have been fans since the '60s & '70s. JJ is a joke and a disgrace and if he keeps this up I will find another team to root for. Cowboy fans of the world unite! Send JJ a message he will understand; no more $$$ until you get a real football GM and a new OC. Let's all stop buying Cowboys games, gear & paraphenalia (tickets, jerseys, caps etc. etc.) JJ is the worst thing to ever happen to the Dallas Cowboys.
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore OscarO. Show DetailsHide Details

I have been a Cowboys fan for 37 years and have never been this ashamed of my team, not even in the eighties. Jerry Jones as GM is a joke. All fans need to send JJ a message he can understand; $$$. We should stop buying Cowboys gear & paraphenalia (jerseys, caps etc. etc.) until he hires a real football GM and a new OC. Jerry Jones is the reason this team has not been a consistent winner in the playoffs after 3 super bowl wins. JJ is a joke and a disgrace and should not be interfering in Dallas Cowboys football. He has taken a great football tradition and turned it into a joke.

Posted by: ocskins | September 20, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes poopy heavy flow of haters cause I'm not buying into the new regime until they prove something. But it's ok I made over 500,000 last year

tampons that is

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 20, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and 3rd for Jacobs and osi?

Posted by: dealer1 | September 20, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Poopy say hi to everyone who has an underscore in their user name for me

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 20, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it again. Was DHall on the field while we're torched for half a thousand?

Could DHall have made a better play? Who knows but we know how it turned out with 31 and 37 and the 2 deep zone that Haslett called.

Hall is a playmaker but he needs to shut up and cover whoever he lines up against and take responsibility for being a part of a secondary that made Schaub look like a combination of Manning and Rodgers. And to think we have them on our schedule this year...

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 20, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth, portis, Thomas, Davis, cooley, Trent Williams, orakpo for favre and a 3rd rounder

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 20, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

'Stone hands' Los finally nabbed an interception (barely), but that still doesn't overshadow how often he gets burned in coverage - only Tryon got burned at a higher percentage methinks. DHall may still have bit of an attitude problem, but he's not a liability as a player.

Posted by: HokieSkin | September 20, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 20, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Really?....Really? GTFO jeeez not sure what you have been smoking, but it's good sh!t it seems...

On another note from the real world, what about the tackle from SD? Can he play guard or center?

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 20, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL ocskins...and that's for starting 0-2! They haven't seen a fraction of the pain we've seen the last 10 years! Friggin' crybabies...fairweather clowns is all they are.

As for DHall...he's a blowhard, but I back him 100% on this. Dude is taking accountability for his unit and trying to be a leader. He surely could have worded this better, but I love where his heart is at...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 20, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 20, 2010 6:53 PM |

I lived in Rancho Bernardo about 20 years ago so I am quite familiar with Escondido. I went to that Brewery a few years ago when I was out here visiting some friends. Good spot, good beer.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 20, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Funny stuff ocskins sounds like this blog the last couple of years.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 20, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

On NFL network tonight, when talking about Andre Johnson's ankle injury they showed him torching Hall. Hall looked like Mini-me.

I still say fine him and bench him for first series, at least.

Posted by: TheCork | September 20, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

He surely could have worded this better, but I love where his heart is at...

Posted by: brownwood26

His heart isn't the problem, it's where his head is--easily checkable by a proctologist.

If he was a lockdown corner, I'd cut him some slack. But he's only average. He's Carlos with better hands and a bigger mouth.

He's one of those gifts that keep on giving from Vinny and Dan.

Posted by: TheCork | September 20, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was interesting. The idea is to develop a metric for individual offensive linemen that can be applied to the NFL as a whole...

"Ben Alamar, who helps with the season simulation that you see in each year's Football Outsiders Almanac, will be tracking the time in the pocket for quarterbacks on every play in Jets and Giants games this season. He'll also be looking at which linemen lose their blocks, and how often that leads to a sack. The goal? An attempt to figure out the value of individual linemen"

Posted by: Samson151 | September 20, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Looks like MeAngelo is doing what all cornerbacks should be good at doing. Back-peddling!

Posted by: stwasm | September 20, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Listened to his explanation... and not sure I'd consider it clarifying... as it seemed just as disjointed and incoherent as the original statement.

In addition to dissing the coach, it he is now also punking on Reed Doughty...

Sort of a double-move... throwing both coaches and teammates under the bus.

Wonder where he learned that sort of sportsmanship?

Even CP26 and AH92 might advise: Yo DHall -- Just STFU and play Dude.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 20, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Hall can say anything he likes but why be so childish and do it to the media when it should have been spoken in the locker room.....

And contrary to what he says or thinks, it is not "his team" in any shape or form....

Posted by: pentagon40 | September 20, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 20, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 20, 2010 7:17 PM

Last time I checked, Schaub threw for more than Manning, Rodgers, Brees and Brady last year. It's not unfathomable that he threw for 500 and 3TDs (we have the coordinator that helped him do that last year. It's the fact that our defense sacked him 6 times and shut it down in the first half, but didn't close it out yesterday that sucks. We didn't make him look good, he carved defenses up WEEKLY last year.

Posted by: joflood1987 | September 20, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Why all the hate for D Hall. I rather have him on Andre Johnson Than reed doughty. I remember when the skins played a 4-3 seem like the corners always played man D, now it seem they play zone in this 3-4. Even last year the D carried this team now that we have a passing game they change it up and now were the worst D in the league haslett is a idiot stick to what was working the past 5 years or so.

Posted by: Jmel1 | September 20, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003

Sometimes morons posts can be funny, but yours aren't even by accident, so do every real Skins fan a favor and kill yourself!

Hall can say what he wants. It is actually justified. The Redskins didn't lose to a better team, they blew a game to an inferior team.

Yes I said it!!! The Redskins beat themselves, When a coach leaves a guy like RD on the best receiver in the game... that's on him! Why in the world was a player like FD in on a field goal to block!!!????

This loss is on the coaching staff!!!!
They had better fix it and quick, because there is no excuse for the countless pathetic calls they made throughout the entire game.

Posted by: skins91r | September 20, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

1-0 vs nfc east... 0-1 vs afc... fine w/ me... oh yeah beat those mofos from dallas...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | September 20, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

jake delhomme

Posted by: BMACattack | September 20, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Redskins fans.As long as you have "Hamburgersworth" on your team you are
not gonna win anything.I thought he was overrated in Tennessee.He takes up space
but he does'nt make the team better.This
was a great game and a shootout.We just
had more bullets this time.GoooTexans

Posted by: boutteperry | September 20, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

The real problem and the only reason we lost is because we could run at all. If we could than in overtime we`d got closer to make a easy 3 pt. but we throw on all R final downs and didn't gain jack spit

Posted by: labpatti | September 20, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: labpatti | September 20, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

you know, there is a reason why his teammates in Atlanta used to call him MeAngelo...

Posted by: joek443 | September 20, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003

This loss is on the coaching staff!!!!

Posted by: skins91r

I REALLY CANT SAY IT BETTER...BEST POST BY FAR!! COACHES LOST THIS ONE...FDAVIS CAN NOT BLOCK..HELLO!!! DHALL VS REED D..IN PASS COVERAGE, EASILY DHALL..FANS WE HAVE TO LEARN TO BE OBJECTIVE, IT NOT ABOUT WHO YOU LIKE AS A PERSON,(because you dont know any of them) BUT ABOUT THE TRUTH!! As much as the coaches added to this game they also lost it with dumb a$$ ego trippin..adjust your defense if they have figured it out!!

Posted by: seanjo93 | September 20, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, it sounds like someone was called to the principal's office...

Posted by: peauxsucent | September 21, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Too bad the Texans other receiver, Walter, also had a monster day with DHall covering him. Maybe he was just pouting for not getting the good receiver.

Hey, DHall. When you can shut down their #2 receiver, then we can talk about their #1. Until then shut it and play ball!

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | September 21, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I've loved D. Hall's game coming out of Tech, I wanted the Skins to draft him then, and I'm glad he's on the team now.

However...it's one thing to express your frustration inside the locker room, coach's office, etc., and it's another thing to pop off to the media.

D. Hall needs to keep it in-house because when he pops off like that it's more about him than the team and look where that's got the franchise since Snyder took over.

Posted by: G-SHOK | September 21, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Cut Reed Doughty some slack - he had Johnson covered. Johnson just out-jumped him for the ball. It happens. Schaub was being pressured and threw a perfect pass. Just wasn't meant to be. How much time is Silverback expected to miss? He should sit the Rams game and let that leg heal.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 21, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

D. Hall can say all that he wants about this, but Rogers is the superior cover corner and is going to get the bulk of snaps on the side of the opponents's No. 1 wideout. Thats not entirely a knock on D. Hall - he abolutely makes more plays. Hall cant hang with the top wideouts snap after snap, though, whether because he gambles too much or for some other reason.

And before I get bashed for saying Rogers is superior in coverage, I totally agree that he plays too far off the receiver at critical times, but it is impossible to know whether that is his choice or part of the scheme. If it were me, I'd have a physical corner like Rogers pressing the receiver at the line, but I'm not a D coordinator.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse