DeAngelo Hall: Eagles' Michael Vick 'might be better than ever'

By Jason Reid

Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick have been close friends since Hall was one of the top high school players in the nation and Vick was an emerging star at Virginia Tech.

"I can remember taking an unofficial visit to Virginia Tech, just going to a football camp, and Mike just showing us around the campus, just taking us out to eat," Hall, also once among Vick's teammates with the Atlanta Falcons, said Thursday at Redskins Park. "I can remember when he was in the league, coming back, hanging with us and just telling us what it was like."

Despite their strong bond, however, Hall and Vick are foremost competitors on the field, and there were no hard feelings when Hall contributed to knocking out Vick from the Redskins' 17-12 victory over the Eagles in Week 4 at Lincoln Financial Field. During the final minute of the first quarter, Hall and safety Kareem Moore tackled Vick at Philadelphia's goal line, and then Vick slowly walked off the field.

The three-time Pro Bowler, who was among the NFL's most productive players to that point, did not return after suffering a rib injury and was sidelined for the Eagles' next three games. But Vick was not upset because Hall was playing the game "the way Mike expects me to," Hall said. "He knows there was nothing dirty about it, man, we were just out there playing hard. Knowing how he goes out there ... he would have been [angry] at me if I didn't try to go and make a play."

Vick returned to the Eagles' lineup Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts and resumed his outstanding comeback.

He was named the NFC offensive player for Week 9 after leading the Eagles to a 26-24 victory against the Indianapolis Colts. Vick completed 17 of 29 passes for 218 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions and rushed for 74 yards (with a 7.4-yard average) and another touchdown. He had a strong passer rating of 93.7.

The Redskins play host to the Eagles on Monday night at FedEx Field.

In five games this season, Vick has completed 60.8 percent of his passes for 1,017 yards and seven touchdowns with no interceptions. He also has rushed for 261 yards (with a 7.3-yard average) and two touchdowns.

Although Vick has missed time because of his injury, he is considered among the leading candidates for the league's most valuable player award. "It's been amazing to watch him, to cheer for him," Hall said. "To go through the things he's been through, and I know it's been tough on him, but sometimes some things happen for a reason.

"I don't think anybody would wish that on him, but to see the way he's come out of that, full speed ahead and better than ever, it's a blessing.

"And I'll tell ya, man, I'm definitely shocked at what he's doing. Definitely shocked. After watching him that first season out [of prison], I was like, 'Man, I don't know if he'll ever be the same guy.' Then watching him this year, it's just like ... you're amazed. It's like, 'Damn. This dude might be better than ever.' I'm just happy for him. I know a lot of people thought he'd never be able to do this. A lot of people thought he was finished. But he's not finished. That's for sure."

By Jason Reid  | November 11, 2010; 1:16 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb dismisses controversy, reiterates desire to 'move on'
Next: Clinton Portis says he hopes to play Monday

Comments

Gag me with a spoon.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Blah, Hey Reid, how are the injuries on this holding up. You know...to Jamal Brown and Trent Williams?

Will they be 100 or 90% or some other %?

Posted by: Devo2 | November 11, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

RI gossip thread

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Coach Mike Shanahan hinted earlier this week about possible schematic changes coming out of the bye week.

We have a list of what you should expect to see:

Pete Kendall will replace Kory Lichenslieger at left guard as he has better experience at getting rolled by pass rushers.

Stephon Heyer has let the 'dreads' grow back.

Roydell Williams promises to disappear on the sideline rather than on the field.

Casey Rabach will eat more donuts to have the bulk needed to play against stout nose tackles.

Derrick Dockery will ask, "Who am I and why am I here?"

Joey Galloway will wear an Ohio State Buckeye jersey to remind us all of who he used to be.

And fortunately, Trent Williams promises only to get better.

And this last development is the only one we can guarantee.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

So after Shanny came out and made himself look like a fool by giving us 3 different options as to why McNabb was benched, McNabb should just come out and continue the foolery by saying "I know why he REALLY benched me..."

Of course he's going the PC route and dismissing stuff.

If he wasn't going to be PC, he'd say "Yeah, I've got some things to work on, but the reason we stink is because Casey Rabach and Kory Lichtensteiger stink at pass pro. The offensive line has been really really bad in front of me."

I wonder if you'd be up here applauding his honesty...

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2010 1:26 PM |

No. That said, I would applaud him if he, at the very minimum and which HE NEVER DID, at least mention that he had fallen down on his own twice, thrown into triple coverage resulting in a pick and not being able to get out of his own way.

The OL has been a mess all year - all decade for that matter. I'm just sick of anyone that cannot understand that McNabb is not unbenchable. Further, I more than get that Shanny tried to be PC himself and inartfully explained his benching - I do get that. What I'm saying is that McNabb could have helped out on this rather than letting this simmer now for over a week.

But nooooo. McNabb is untouchable and anyone that doesn't genuflect to his prowess is racist or racially coding when describing him as not being 100% up to speed with the system and his physical conditioning after being pummeled for the last 3 months.

All I give a f*ck about is winning. You think McNabb thinks he doesn't have support from his coaches? Let me tell you, the Shanny's now also know that their QB won't go to the mat for them either.

In the immortal words of Evel Knievel, er, I mean Al Davis....

"Just win baby."

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know it was Thursday Race Baiting Talk on 980 today.

Atleast it wasn't started by a Black Person. John Feinstein has set off some type of fire storm......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Evel Knievel was a bad ass...when bad asses were bad asses!!

Wish I still had my Evel Knievel stunt cycle...

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know it was Thursday Race Baiting Talk on 980 today.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 1:48 PM |

idiot mike wise is stirring the pot and saying the mcnabb benching is a race thing, one that goes back thru the history of the team.

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Use screen passes and the running game early.Wear down their d-line, then pass pro will be easier.

Why am I not a head coach?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Hit Stick on Slick Vick.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know it was Thursday Race Baiting Talk on 980 today.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 1:48 PM |

I have third-hand information that JF would make his $$ off his books through an advance deal. His books are historically best-sellers and JF has recently structured his deals to to largely pay him based on sales so he could potentially rake in a lot more cash.

His last couple books - which I have not read or even know about - apparently have not sold as many copies - despite being listed pretty high on Amazon - thus decreasing his pay for them.

I am thinking that's got him pissed and he is getting on every show he can to keep his name "relevant".

Besides, JF has NEVER been a fan of the Snyder regime.

JF is a little like Madden. He was, for a long time, the man in his field but eventually got stale. At least Madden had the good sense (or agent advice) to just go away.

I wish JF would. He's a whiny doosh who always, always, always comports himself as if he hung the moon and you have no right to question or disagree with him on anything - ever.

Besides, anyone that uses "irregardless" can't be all that brilliant.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2010 1:48 PM

Junior Feinstein is a putz. The fact that he was beep-beeps "roommate" at Duke means that he's an insufferable putz.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 11, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Well then, I think C.J. Ah You is a Lawrence 'Moron'-ey, this list is dumb, so you can kiss my Dave Butz and suck my Dennis Dixon!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 12:26 PM |

That's okay. You just demonstrated your sub-4th-grade level of creativity. That said, I am glad that I inspired you to come up with a roster of your own.

You're welcome dooshbag.

PS - At least I know what number Art Monk was Norman Einstein.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow, are you giving Reagan 'Up'shaw so Tony 'Eason'ly? You're pathetic, little whiney baby!
Dooshbag? Sub-4th-grade level? Hahaha, this coming from a LOSER and RACIST that throws around the N word more than his mom throws around her loose p*ssy! Get a life! I do know what Monk's number is, at least I don't have to hide behind another User ID!!!

Later Mike butt-'Munch'ack!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Use screen passes and the running game early.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

And what do you do when every play looks like a screen play, coach?

Hike! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 11, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Evel Knievel was a bad ass...when bad asses were bad asses!!

Wish I still had my Evel Knievel stunt cycle...

Posted by: PlayAction | November 11, 2010 1:51 PM |

I had the one that was like a launching ramp that you cranked up and then fired EK, on his HD across the patio or, heaven forbid, indoors.

Remember the Jim Rome interview with EK? They were talking about a guy EK beat up with a bat and Rome was saying something like "Weren't you scared?", which was followed by about 5 long seconds of radio silence. Then, you hear EK with this incredulous tone reply, "Don't you know who the hell I am?"

Epic of all Epicdom!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 11, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl

get lost you dive ass

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl

and before you go there, blow me

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Use screen passes and the running game early.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

And what do you do when every play looks like a screen play, coach?

Hike! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 11, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse
Then you bootleg and throw the deep pass.

Or run a reverse.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 11, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl_Body_Odor

and before you go there, blow me

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Careful, I think he'll take you up on that offer!

Posted by: monk811 | November 11, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

It's bad enough that the Eagles are putting Michael Vick back in the lime light. Now the cornerback on the Redskins seems to idolizing him. Give me a break. This person is nothing more than a inhuman piece of crap who doesn't care a bit about anyone or anything but himself, how he is seen in the public and money. Stop giving him so much credit for being just another football player, remember what he truley is and thats a dog killer.

Posted by: agblogspot | November 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: agblogspot
------------------------
Yaaawn....Don't you have a PETA meeting to attend? Or maybe you can stand outside of FedEx picketting the Monday night game against Vick and the Eagles. Just make sure you and the other 3 picketters stay out the 90,000+ fans way.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | November 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: agblogspot
------------------------

Posted by: 6thsense79 | November 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

agbogspot:

Get a dam life, go play fetch with your dog, drink you a cold beer, or screw your ole lady. America is a country bred on comebacks and second chances. Vick has paid his debt to society and is now reaping the benefits of a second chance. Get over it. He didn't kill a HUMAN BEING, molest an innocent child, or do any of the things that would demonize a person for life, such as Charles Manson etc.

So you've never made mistakes?

Nobody never gave you a second chance?

How does it feel to walk on water?

Posted by: 72Redskins | November 11, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's dispense with the excuses for why we should forgive Mike Vick. We all make mistakes. We all don't personally kill dogs that we used to make money. And we all don't kill dogs in inhumane and barbaric ways. Dogs are completely innocent creatures who are very limited in being able to remove themselves from being abused. Mike Vick intentionally conducted a dog fighting business for the greed of money and knowingly and voluntarily smashed dogs to death.

Where is the latitude that we should thus voluntarily bestow upon him?

Like I said, I live in the city where Mike Vick grew up. There is nothing in his character that has ever demonstrated remorse or empathy for anyone other than himself and his family. He knowingly chooses to associate with people of questionable character and does so even today.

Where is the latitude we should bestow upon Mike Vick now?

The fact that Mike Vick received a sentence in jail and served that does not obligate any of us who didn't voluntarily kill dogs for the greed of money and who don't intentionally associate with questionable people to forgive him. I'd counter that we are obligated to shun him.

The NFL better hope that Mike Vick isn't playing in the Super Bowl, and God forbid he were the Super Bowl MVP. The NFL would become more of a laughing stock than it is today. Mike Vick represents the worst in the sport - the thugocrisy of the hood - of selfish athletes who respect none of societies laws or taboos.

We can all ring our hands lamenting how unfortunate it is that Mike Vick must face his past at every occasion, but we didn't commit the crimes, we didn't compell his presence to the NFL, and we don't pick his friends. It is apparent that Vick is showing his remorse in a fashion that is just like he showed his dogfighting business.

Screw Mike Vick and those who want us to excuse his pathetic behavior because we all make mistakes. And I'm sure that we all don't have blood on our hands. Mike Vick does. Shove it!

Posted by: laserwizard | November 11, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Where is the latitude that we should thus voluntarily bestow upon him?

Where is the latitude we should bestow upon Mike Vick now?

Posted by: laserwizard | November 11, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Lazerwizzard
I pity you so much. Don't you know that most of the population of this world recognize animals (including dogs,pigs,cows,chickens,etc) as a food source and not just elitists toys. During my travels in Asia I even found live monkey brains for sale. My only question to MV is did they barbecue the dogs after they killed them. If not then thats a pity. You might be surprised that MV might be the MVP of the NFL not just the Super Bowl.

Posted by: kutzintl | November 12, 2010 4:14 AM | Report abuse