Posted at 9:59 PM ET, 01/ 2/2011

DeAngelo Hall: "I still got a long way to go"

By Barry Svrluga

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is the Redskins' lone representative in the Pro Bowl. But after another performance in which he gave up a key play - the 92-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning to Mario Manningham that essentially decided Sunday's 17-14 loss to the New York Giants - Hall was taking a hard look at his own performance in 2010.

"One thing I don't do in the past is get beat for touchdowns," Hall said. "I made a lot of plays this season but I got beat more than I've ever got beat in my career combined. I just think the Philly game, the Colts game, this game. Gosh, was it another one? Tampa, the deep ball."

Hall finished the season with a career-high six interceptions, and four of them came in one game - Oct. 24, when he tied an NFL record against Chicago. But Hall said the plays he didn't make have him focused on improving in 2011. He was asked Sunday whether he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl. His response? "Probably not."

"That's a popularity contest," Hall said. "There's been times that I've felt like I should've went, didn't go. Times I don't feel like I should go, that I go. I'm definitely happy to go, but at the same time, I left a lot of picks out there, left a lot of plays that I'm going to damn sure make next season out there. I'm going into this offseason hungry. This Pro Bowl, I'm happy. It's cool. It don't mean too much in the grand scheme of things. I still got a long way to go."

By Barry Svrluga  | January 2, 2011; 9:59 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins in '11: Only three playoff opponents
Next: Rex Grossman's audition: Did he do enough?

Comments

Yeah, he FIRST tries for the interceptions....

Posted by: charley42 | January 2, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

He forgot about the 2 TDs he gave up against the boys and the one to Kevin Walter in the Texans game, not mention a few others.

But Hey p1funk will be here tomorrow talking about his 6 picks and 80+ tackles.

He's a liability.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

2 questions...

First, does anyone know our draft order selection?

Second question, if we finished 3rd in our division (both Dallas and us finished 6-10, but I think it is determined we had the tougher schedule due to playing St. Louis and Tampa Bay. While the Cowboys played Arizona and New Orleans. All the other 14 opponents/games were identical. So, with Tampa and St. Louis having a combined 2 more wins than Arizona and New Orleans, it is deemed the Redskins had the tougher schedule. So, the Skins would be the "division's 3rd place winner," while the Cowboys are deemed the "Division's 4th place winner? Is that correct??). Meaning we get the 3rd place team out of the north (Minnesota) and the 3rd place team out of the south (that would be Tampa Bay rather than Carolina). Dallas would have a "4th place schedule" next year so they would get Detroit (4th in the north, and Carolina, the 4th in the south)

Confusing...I know. But can anyone confrim this?...Buehler?...Buehler?

And I think the 18 game schedule, if passed, would not start until 2012?...

Posted by: redskinbo | January 2, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

redskinbo, it appears we will draft #11 if Rams win, and #10 if Seattle winns.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 2, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Seems like 6 of the first 10 may be looking for a QB.

Some harder than others. Hearing there is no way Harbaugh goes to Carolina. Hoping they get a Defensive type guy and let somebody else come get Luck.

I think Newton is a wildcard. The kid looks great... but there are legitimate questions about him. Between him and Locker, I'd take Newton.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

sfik-

Luck goes #1...then it's possible that Newton and Mallett are off the board when we're on the clock.

If so I'd take Ryan Kerrigan the OLB from Purdue then wait until the 2nd and take either Devlin, Ponder, or Gabbert.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse

No o-line in 1st round? yall watching the same team i am? the o-line is one of the worst in the league.

Posted by: the_shocker1 | January 2, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

If Newton is there when Cleveland is on the clock, i would go get him.

The more i think about it, the more he reminds me of Josh Freeman... with better running skills. Have to answer the character question though. I don't care about "daddy" looking for cash, but the stealing the laptop and the other BS at Florida is the real concern. Mallett has subtle little issues, too.

Dalton in the second? For some reason, I like that kid after watching him against Wisconsin.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_shocker1 | January 2, 2011 10:42 PM

The 10th or 11th pick is too high. You can't reach there, you must take impact players unless they can trade back.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Andy Dalton.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 2, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_shocker1 | January 2, 2011 10:42 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

cosign, diesel. We'll fill C/OG issues in free agency. Got to pick best player available in rd. 1 & 2.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 2, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the top needs are QB and interior Oline. Adress that, and the rest can go to Defense with LB and Dline needing the most attention. Barnes showed me something at FS. I'd bring back Los too if he(or his agent) doesn't over inflate his own self worth.

Would love to see Kelly and Armstrong with Tana in the slot next year.

Does Shanny think he has an ace up his sleeve with Beck?

My gawd these Rams are not helping young Bradford at all.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

They should just give the Saints a bye and not reward either of these teams with a playoff game.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

That was some classic NFC West football. I think with a losing record you should at least be stripped of home field.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 2, 2011 11:26 PM | Report abuse

People crack on Buck and Aikman, but I'll take them all day long and twice on Sundays over Michaels and Collinsworth.

Especially Michaels.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2011 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Trade Hall. He's just like Haynesworth and all the other "me first" self proclaimed superstars, he'll throw his team under the bus to try to make a big play for hmself. He's right that he has been burned a lot this year, he has single handedly lost many games, including this one.

The reason is that all of the other teams now know that he wants to jump the ball so he is easy to burn. The Skins need to get rid of him while he still has some trade value. We just saw his last half decent year.

Posted by: unclelonghair | January 2, 2011 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Hall has been coached by Haslett to play the way he does. Its easy to say ship him but then you need to replace him. The team has much greater needs that replacing DHall. Its ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Like his style or not, he is a top tier NFL CB.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2011 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Hall is a joke at corner. He had a miracle game with 4 picks, and then 2 the rest of the year. But the part that makes that so bad is that he gets tons of opportunities every week because every NFL QB knows he can't cover his mother and throws at him the whole game. He's not a bad tackler, but he is a corner. Corner's should cover. I keyed on him a lot this year and it's actually comical. He's one of the reasons our D is last. He's so overrated it's ridiculous.

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 3, 2011 1:00 AM | Report abuse

He may well be over rated, but its stupid to run him. Redskins are not in a position to ship out quality players like DHall. It only creates another hole to fill, and they have enough already. There are not 64 CB better than him. There are not 32 CB better than him. Its that simple.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2011 1:14 AM | Report abuse

It's a joke that he's in the Pro Bowl. Anyone who says, "Well at least we have a Skins player in the Pro Bowl," I respond, "So what?" The Skins missed the playoffs again, have no talent, are full of holes, and are nowhere near being a decent team. A DeAngelo Hall Pro Bowl appearance doesn't make me forget we haven't had a Super Bowl appearance since 1992.

Posted by: stwasm | January 3, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Rogers over Hall, the sound defender with questionable hands over the celebrity that gives up too many plays and has trouble getting off blocks.

But his position might be the most difficult to play in football. It's going to far to say to cut him - if you surrond Hall with enough of a supporting cast (a pass rush and good safety play) his ceiling could be very high.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 3, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse