Posted at 10:53 AM ET, 12/29/2010

DeAngelo Hall named to Pro Bowl despite drop-off in interceptions, Redskins' last-ranked defense

By Jason Reid

On Tuesday, cornerback DeAngelo Hall was selected to play in his third Pro Bowl.

Hall was voted to participate in the all-star game in Hawaii despite being a member of the NFL's last-ranked defense and having only one interception since matching the leaguesingle-game record with four earlier this season.

Opponents have continued to challenge Hall despite his record-setting performance against the Chicago Bears, but "probably not as much as they normally do," Hall said Tuesday in a conference call with reporters. "They're still throwing it.

"I left a couple of them [interceptions] out there on the field that I probably should have caught. You take the Tampa game, the Philly game and the Titans game where I dropped [the ball] and [it] slid right out of my hand.  There was a couple that I just haven't held onto."

Hall is tied for second in the league with six interceptions. He also has two forced fumbles and has two defensive touchdowns in a season for the first time in his career.

"Somebody said I gave [Carlos Rogers] my hands and I lost mine," Hall said jokingly. "Slo [defensive Backs Coach Bob Slowik] tells me all the time that I've been dropping them lately.

"Even in practice I've been dropping them. There are a couple of plays out there that I probably should have made that I didn't make. You keep going and keep treading away at it."

By Jason Reid  | December 29, 2010; 10:53 AM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roster analysis: Expiring Redskins contracts
Next: Phillip Daniels hopes to return for at least one more season

Comments

"He also has two forced fumbles and has two defensive touchdowns in a season for the first time in his career."

This season our Pro Bowl second alternate TE Chris Cooley has exactly ONE more TD than Hall.

Hall is tied for TDs scored this season with:

1. RB Clinton Portis
2. #2 WR Anthony Armstrong
3. #2 TE Fred Davis

Hall has outscored:
1. RB Mike Sellers
2. (former WR) Joey Galloway
3. WR Roydell Williams

Posted by: Alan4 | December 29, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Right reader...DHall has LOST us games. No chance the fact we have nothing up front and only two quality starting LBs have anything to do with the defensive failures of this year. That's ALL on 23 gambling to make picks.

Again...I'm not even a big DHall fan, but I'm being made to look like one because I see it as galactically stupid to say that a guy who makes 6 picks (regardless of when they're made) and scores 2 TDs shouldn't be in the Pro-Bowl. If you try to name me 3 CBs with better numbers than DHall this year, either you're being insanely biased or putting guys ahead of him based on reputation. DHall deserves a Pro-Bowl nod in 2010...no matter how many youtube clips you post.

I mean, really...next you're gonna tell me Doug Williams shouldn't have had Super Bowl MVP in '88 because he had all his TDs in one quarter...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hall was brought here for play-making abilities. It's universally understood that he's a liability in terms of tackling and attempting to jump routes.

That's the price you pay and even though I believe DHall to be a freaking doosh nozzle, he does more good than bad and helps more than he hurts.

I have to admit that but I completely loathe the dude.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

So scamp, basically you hate all the top-tier QBs in the NFL...haha

For real though...the key part of what I said was "TENDS to fall along racial lines", never said it was a universal thing. I'm black and I've never been a Vick fan, so I know it's not an exact science or anything. The Vick/Favre thing is just an observation on my part, nothing more...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 10:35 AM

I know you weren't stating it as a universal opinion. I'm not stating mine as one either...just one white guy's perspective. As far as top tier QB's I like Manning and Brees a lot. There's something about Rivers fiery attitude that I like too. Never liked McNabb. I don't care if he is a class guy, he's a SJKing Eagle and always will be in my book. That crap last year after we beat 'em about "the better team did not win today" just didn't sit well with me. I know they were a better team but I don't need some Iggle d-bag rubbing it in.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:18 AM |

I tried talking to this retard last night. He's got some boner for DHall. Guessing it's his daddy. Anyway, big waste of time. Save yourself the wasted moments in your life browny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Lol @ scamp. I feel that. Plus some of the other stoopid shti he's done over the years.

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like a argument FAIL when you put DHall in the same convo as Brady, Champ, and CWood.

Hey p1funk in 2008 Champ gave up ZERO (0) TDs. In 2009 CWood had 9 picks, 3 TDs, while giving up 2 TDs al season. DHall gave up 2 in the 2nd game against the Boys.

DHall is in the PB because of one game. Good for him. I'd put Tramon Williams or Brent Grimes in before DHall tho..

bw26- If you want LFB in the pro bowl then who do you remove? Willis or Urlacher. Not to mention Beason & Vilma ain't too shabby either.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM |

Dude came on here last night and tried to back up his argument with 2 youtube clips. Like that's gonna work. So i posted a clip of a Tom Brady and a Payton Manning interception as proof that neither of them should ever make a probowl. Same thing right? He just doesn't get it. Plain and simple, players, coaches, and fans voted him in...so he deserves to be there. Even if he isn't the greatest. His stats this year are pretty good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

... He's no Norman Einstein.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow, scamp... the rare quadruple play!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

What I don't understand is how a Redskins Player making the pro bowl is a bad thing to Redskins fans.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

welcome to RI scamp..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:26 AM

Are there only two ILBs or is it 3? Because if it's 3, I'd have Fletch as the 3rd guy but if it's only 2 then I get it.

I just disagree with the sentiment that he didn't have a Pro-Bowl worthy year. Because he has one on just about an annual basis.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM

Yeah, I was in that discussion for a while, but it went way too far so I dropped out. Saying D Hall sucks doesn't make sense, but you can certainly say there's easy room for improvement, but the point got taken too far.

Either way, congratulations to him for making the PB and for his big game against Chicago.

Posted by: edvar | December 29, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 29, 2010 11:29 AM

Exactly...the discussion isn't who got snubbed, which overrated Cowboy made it, or any of that...it's nitpicking to death the ONE guy we DID get in.

Just goes to show some people just aren't happy unless they've got something to b*tch about...real or fabricated...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Fellow fans, we should be outraged!

DeAngelo Hall was scandalously selected to the Pro Bowl!

Let's boycott the Skins! Let's write hate mail to Snyder! How could he let this happen!

It's a dark dark day for Redskins Nation; just when we saw glimmers of hope for the team something horrible and reprehensible like this takes place!

It's crystal clear at this point that all of those tackles, all those INTs, those forced fumbles and defensive TDs, those game-changing performances are all indisputable evidence of what a crappy, no-good, overrated no-account player DHall is.

Hopefully we cut Hall next year, and find a Carlos Rogers clone. Then we can max out Rogers and Rogers 2.0., and never have to worry about our secondary anymore.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought Hall played very well this year. Sure, he could have had another pick or two but it was obvious QB's were staying away from him after that 4 pick game against Chicago.

He's definately worthy of it, and I also think London was deserving to be there also. Maybe the coaches will take him.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:18 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

scamp and brownie, this reader-idiot should just get the pabrian treatment at this point.

I'm pretty sure that DeAngelo Hall pimp-slapped reader51 in front of a crowd and took his girlfriend.

It's the only explanation for his nonsense.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Carlos Rogers will be 30 next season.

That somewhat changes my thoughts on retaining him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:09 AM

You seem to be losing it as the year winds....Must be all of those days of opening up the AM doors of RI. Easily one of your top 5 worst analogies of the year. Two ILBs make the pro bowl btw..

DHall is the baseball equivalent of a CF that is a liability in the field, strikes out too much, is a terrible base runner, but when he makes contact he goes yard. Put him down for .220 BA, .250 OBA, 30 Errors, and 30 HRs. And all anybody wants to talk about are the HRs.

Good for him tho, What bothers me is that you have the DHall fan club up here thinking that this some how validates DHall as a player. I mean Roy Williams has 5 pro bowls.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 11:45 AM

Exactly...more value in the big corner that cover but can't catch. Incomplete passes trump INTs every day of the week...

Guess we shoulda taken that Betts-for-Brady deal when it was on the table...but then again, who wants a guy who threw 4 picks in 15 games this season?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Carlos Rogers will be 30 next season.

That somewhat changes my thoughts on retaining him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Carlos Rogers will be 30 next season.

That somewhat changes my thoughts on retaining him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:53 AM |

And Arrington has 3 which even as a die hard fan I always thought was ridiculous.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Carlos Rogers will be 30 next season.

That somewhat changes my thoughts on retaining him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 29, 2010 11:55 AM

London Fletcher will be 36 next season.

What do you think of that?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

For all you mancrushes on DHall..
One game does not make a Pro-Bowl year. Its why they have Defensive Player of the Week, etc.
Overall he is a horrible cover CB..
Throw out the Chicago game and he is what Ryan said he was...

Posted by: reader51 | December 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 11:53 AM

Who said anything about "validating him as a player"? Nobody is up here saying he's an elite player...he's a solid starter who has a penchant for making big plays. Save for the "I hate DHall" crowd, I don't see anyone painting him as anything else.

The idiocy I'm campaigning against is the mindset that a guy with 6 INTs and 2 TDs doesn't deserve to go to the PB based on whatever reputation he has. Just like reputation shouldn't get you in the PB, it shouldn't take you out either.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

reader51- that's a great youtube clip...HOWEVER RI rules state that you can't us youtube clips to validate or critique a player.

Otherwise we would have Dennis Morris in the Pro Bowl this YR.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Think we should keep CR22...feels slighted at this point, as well as Rocky Mac.

I'd find money to keep CR22 but would let RockyMac walk.

I'd add a FA corner to challenge CR22, though, as having 3 good corners is very important in a passing league.

Moving Kevin Barnes to safety allows you to keep a guy with good cover skills playing deep.

Buchanan is a goner in my world.

Let's get Westbrook more playing time.

And our corners would help the pass rush by 'jamming' and 'bumping' receivers within the 5 yard area where that's legal.

We let too many receivers get a free release into their routes, which doesn't disrupt the timing of an opponent's passing offense.

This also affects safety play--another issue our defense has.

Overall, Rogers, Hall, Barnes, Westbrook plus a drafted corner and a FA addition would be nice.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 11:09 AM
=============
bizarre analogy to the DHall discussion brownwood??.. but, thanks on behalf of the "DHall aint all that" club.
Doug Wms deserved MVP for that game.. but, not the ProBowl. DHall deserved MVP for the Chicago game.. but, not the ProBowl.
My point is the not anti-DHall but that the ProBowl voting is a farce.. DHall made national headlines with the Bears game..and thus the voters recalled that one game and put him in.
The same voting system that ignored multiple probowl quality years from London Fletcher.

Posted by: reader51 | December 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

reader, just stop with the YouTube stuff...unless and until you post stats to back up your claims, just STFU and move on. I can post Manning's pick 6 in the SB...doesn't mean he's a bum. I mean, you talk about how one game doesn't make a PB season and then you post two plays that saw he's not. Can't have it both ways, hoss...

Aw screw it...I'm better off talking football with Helen Keller...like, the current version...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 29, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Anybody out there seen the movie True Grit? Looks pretty freaking sweet..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
~~~~~~~~~~
Good points, both.

This boards suffers, IMO, from the relative abundance of conservative Virginian Redskins fans. I refuse to believe that fans from D.C. and Maryland are this sour.

Only they piss, itchb, and moan about Redskins players' flaws to the extent that they do.

Only they turn on a player because they don't like his personality, it seems.

Some fans forget that when they clamor for more touchdowns & more scoring they make the wide receiver and cornerbacks the stars of the sport.

The WRs and DBs realize this and have accepted the role lustily-part showman, part show-off. DeAngelo Hall is example of this type of showy skill player....and some Redskins fans will never forgive him for it.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Arm(y),

My MD friends have either shutdown emotionally or switched to Balmer.

Not me. 3rd Generation & rarin' for payback!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 29, 2010 12:23 PM |
=============
True armchair...
DHall may also suffer from the DGreen standard before him.. DGreen deserved to be in the ProBowl even in his worst season.

Posted by: reader51 | December 29, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

diesel44

Anybody out there seen the movie True Grit?

Moe's Movie Recommends:

Black Swan: see it with a chick or the wife--great film

The Fighter: see it with a dude--excellent sports film (true story)

True Grit: we'll get to it this weekend.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 29, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Beeps---->

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Landry's brother is a FA this year, does he play the same position or the opposite?

I dont get all the angst about Hall, he made the pro-bowl, as a fan, I am happy that we have any representation at all for the dumbest game of the year.

Seen two mocks now saying we are going to take a CB at the 15th slot, I really hope not.

Anyone watch the kid from Mizzo last night, was he any good? The QB with the weird name?

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 29, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

fine the guy is a "playmaker" whatever that means and 4 ints in one game is amazing, no argument - but no way does he deserve to make the pro bowl after failing all year long on just basic coverage and tackling responsibilites - or "defense" - which incidentally carlos rogers does very well.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 29, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hall had 4 int's in a miracle game that happens once in your life if you're lucky. What you have to remember is that Cutler kept throwing it at him all night, and even after the game said if they played us next week, he'd throw at him again. It happens every week. Key on Hall for a few plays and watch. The guy's a joke. It just happens that every once in a while, he's in the right place at the right time. Every QB in the league throws at him. What's that tell you??....

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 29, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The Pro Bowl is all about points, and since Hall can't tackle, he will allow lots of points!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 29, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Would you morons quit with the double, triple, and quadruple posts. Just click on"submit" ONCE and be patient. It will post eventually!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse