Defensive backs are fine with Hall's bravado

Implied in DeAngelo Hall's comments earlier this week is the idea that he needs cover the opponent's top receiver because he thinks he can do it better than others. His fellow defensive backs didn't seem bothered by Hall's bravado Wednesday.

"I didn't even see the comments until today," said safety Reed Doughty, "but they really don't bother me because everybody knows that corners in this league have confidence. And so I don't think anybody's bothered by DeAngelo saying, 'Wow, I want to cover the top wideout.' I
think Carlos [Rogers] wants to do the same thing. If you're a corner and you want to be on their receiver with the least amount of catches, you're probably in the wrong business."

That seems to be the popular sentiment in the Redskins' locker room. Cornerback Phillip Buchanon was covering the Texans' Andre Johnson at the start of the fourth quarter, fourth-down
play in Sunday's game that helped Houston tie the score. Johnson, of course, zipped past Buchanon and then jumped over Doughty in the end zone to catch the touchdown pass.

Asked if he was bothered by Hall's comments, Buchanon said, "I was bothered by the loss.
Houston's a good team, and they made the plays. It's over with."

We'll have to ask coaches how Hall's desire to cover the opponent's top receiver might affect the defense's gameplans in the future. But it would seem that something has to give.

"That's a schematic thing that the coaches will have to figure out," said Doughty. "I don't know what their plans are for that. I just think it was more he wants to be in that position. He was just letting the coaches know he has confidence in himself, and I think there's nothing wrong with that."

By Rick Maese  | September 22, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive line is a work in progress
Next: Shanahan denies Vincent Jackson trade rumor

Comments

poop

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the defensive backs are fine with Hall's bravado?

Posted by: bukminster | September 22, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Just in case you didn't hear Defensive backs are fine with Hall's bravado

Posted by: kbaxter34 | September 22, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

stymied

Posted by: hessone | September 22, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

anyone see that photo of Steve Tyler on the front page? neither father time nor his plastic surgeon has been kind to him. and he's still gettin more tail than me. football: anyone hear how the DB's are responding to D. Hall's comments ?

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Very glad to hear the DBs, like Shanny, are fine with Hall's comments. I think only the sportswriters are upset that it didn't cause some locker room rift.

Why no articles about our perpetually mediocre Special Teams? Where do these rumors emanate that Danny Smith is competent, much less above average? We've left 6 points on the board from two failures on the FG team. Make-able kicks, that the Skins blew. How long can Shanny let this go on?

Posted by: sgmd | September 22, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

look i have no issues with hall statement, my problem is that when hall said that something like this is my defense iam not answering to nobody that when it became a problem that's when he was saying iam not asnwering to jim haslett iam not doing what he tells me to do and shanny backeed the player instead o fthe coach according to what i heard that is a serious mistake on shanny's part that's like saying a player undermines he's boss no matter what position and the coach is backing the player instead of his assistant that's a no no period.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | September 22, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

General observation: whether or not AH gets traded it appears Mike Shanahan has won this little war. Albert doesn't walk with that 21 mil. and he's shown this team doesn't need him. Shanahan is not going to risk letting #92 become a cancer to his new team and at the same time is sending a strong message to everyone as to who is in charge. I don't know where AH will be next season but I'm almost positive that unless a major shift in Alberts attitude happens he will have little if anything to do with the Redskins this year...game,set,match.

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

A couple of honest observations from a non-Skins fan: Hall is an idiot and has shown it before. You can't take comments after a loss real serious--players are angry. It's a requirement that a corner have a confident feeling about himself. This is a non-story in a football town looking for a story. And Hall is an idiot--coaches run the team, not players.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | September 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope the other DB's are pissed, only they have more common sense than to rattle of to the press. Ya think?

Posted by: bobilly1 | September 22, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse