Jim Haslett says coverage debates are routine

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and cornerback DeAngelo Hall on Thursday downplayed their recent discussion about coverages and technique, saying it was not contentious.

"If you're in that room, the defensive back room, there's a discussion every day about how you play coverages, how you want your technique played, and DeAngelo and I had about a 20-minute discussion on how things should be played," Haslett said. "It's nothing that doesn't happen every single day. It just happened [that] the defensive linemen were in the room that day. I didn't think anything of it. "You go in that room with the defensive backs, they're always talking about technique, how to play the proper coverages that we're playing against teams.

"It changes every week based on the offenses you play. If there was an issue, Coach [Mike] Shanahan would have known about it. To me, there was no issue. That's just something that goes on every day in that room. I would never get in an argument with a player in front of a bunch of other players. If I had a disagreement with D, DHall or anybody else, I'd take 'em in private and tell 'em, 'This is what I want.' The technique that I wanted played in that game, I expressed to him that's not exactly what I was looking for."

Said Hall: "It definitely wasn't heated."

Hall, however, clearly expressed frustration during the meeting about what he believed to be conflicting instructions from Haslett and defensive backs coach Bob Slowik, two Redskins employees said. Shanahan met with Hall privately before a team meeting Wednesday and then singled out Hall in the meeting, using the two-time Pro Bowler as an example in stressing the need for better communication about injuries.

Shanahan did not address what occurred in his meeting with Hall or the group session, but responded to a question about the Haslett-Hall exchange. "You got to be in the meetings," he said. "Sometimes, someone might get some of the information and they're not in the meeting. These things occur all the time. Different coaches communication with each other."

Hall has been slowed by a back injury and he has received conflicting diagnoses about the source of his pain, according to three people familiar with the situation. During the past month, Hall has "been OK," Haslett said. "Not as good as he did early in the season. His back's been bothering him. I think he's upbeat. I think he's ready to go.

"He's a good football player...He's a ball hawk. We need him being full speed health-wise and mentally, because he's the kind of guy who can go out and make a lot of plays for ya."

By Jason Reid  | October 21, 2010; 4:41 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Cooley practices, should play Sunday
Next: NFL video on legal and illegal hits

Comments

I am the great Cornholio. I need TP for my............

Posted by: DixonTheDog | October 21, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"Hall and Haslett say coverage debates are routine"

It's also routine for Hall to run his mouth, get beaten like a drum in coverage and miss tackles.

I'm tired of DHall's act.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 21, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where I can buy a good, reliable plunger?

Posted by: DixonTheDog | October 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Mmmm...grapes.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 21, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I am the great Cornholio. I need TP for my............

Posted by: DixonTheDog | October 21, 2010 4:46 PM |

Are-you-threatening-me? I need tp for my bunghole!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 21, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

It's tough for a coaching staff to take a hard line on player when they are the worst unit in the entire league.

I guess Danny really is taking a hands off approach now......I'd of fired Haslett this week weather Shanahan liked it or not!!

Posted by: skins91r | October 21, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins91r | October 21, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse
ARE YOU SERIOUS skins91, YOUR A FUNNY GUY!!! You Don't know the game....lost in space..

Posted by: jiza32 | October 21, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are 14th in points allowed, and are far from the "worst unit in the league".

Posted by: Jason10 | October 21, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Fact is - DHall has always been a pompous narcissistic/terrible teammate (see blowups at VA Tech and ATL) who doesn't respect the coaches, makes a fool of himself, and thinks he is way better than he actually is. For every INT he gets I have to sit through 10 blow coverages and missed tackles.

I may be in the minority, but give me stone hands over this dude. I hope we trade him for Adam Archuleta...

Posted by: nalsmith | October 22, 2010 5:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ireland2 | October 22, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

"It seems amazing to me that you'd take a pretty decent, but conservative defense and turn it into an agressive, yet poor denfense. Why would you take an All Pro DE and turn them into a linebacker that is now sitting on the sidelines? Amazing.

Posted by: Ireland2"

What's a poor defense? Yeah, its not pretty at times and you have to expect growing pains moving to a new D, but if you actually look at point allowed/game and turnovers this unit is actually better then 2009. You don't win games by comparing yardage totals.

Andre Carter is a liability in coverage and as a DE with his hand down he was always a liability against the run. We still use him on passing downs, so actually I think we are protecting him.

Posted by: nfr201 | October 22, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

He can say what he wants but everyone knows what a pain DeAngelo is to everyone around him

Posted by: Bious | October 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse