Evans Played Big Role in Stuffing Barber, Westbrook

While the Redskins lose some pass rush without Jason Taylor at the left end spot, they have not suffered against the run in his absence. Greg Blache continued the rotation of linemen again Sunday in Philadelphia and Demetric Evans had another fine outing filling in for Taylor.

The Eagles and Cowboys were unable to move the ball on the ground, and Evans has to get a lot of credit for that. He's also been able to switch to tackle in the nickel package, and with tackle Cornelius Griffin suffering a shoulder injury during Sunday's game, Evans was more in demand than usual.

You would have to think opposing teams are noticing the job the Skins did on Marion Barber and Brian Westbrook, and stopping the run will remain the primary objective Sunday. St. Louis doesn't have much going on, offensively or defensively, but running back Steven Jackson can be as good as anyone in the NFL.

He missed most of training camp because of a contract dispute, and has had a slow start to the season, but tore up the Skins in St. Louis a few years back (2006), winning the game in overtime by plowing over safety Sean Taylor. Jackson finished with 33 carries for 150 yards, including a 21-yard TD, and he also caught six balls for 102 yards with a 64-yard receiving TD.

If Taylor has to miss this game as well, Evans figures he will see a lot of Jackson coming his way.

"When you can play the run in the NFC East against rival teams on the road, that doesn't go unnoticed," Evans said. "We've done a good job the last two weeks in the running game. Hopefully it continues against Steven Jackson because the last time we played him he beat us in overtime with a long run. So we've go to be focused on him, and playing a good seven man in the box and doing a good job on him."

Evans, who thrived in a starting role in 2005, has largely been a valuable role player, but said he enjoys switching roles within games.

"It's going well," he said. "It gives me an opportunity to get more playing time and gives me an opportunity to show what I'm capable of doing, and right now it's working well."

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 7, 2008; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham's on a Roll
Next: Saunders "Thrilled" for Campbell's Success

Comments

Man these next 3 games are going to tell us alot about our Redskins. We took care of business against the big dogs. Let's see how we do against these chumps. Will we play down to their level or will we beat them the way a good team should. I personally feel that we must absolutely win against the Rams and Lions because of the NFC playoff tie breaker ramifications.

Posted by: Skins1 | October 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff I like Evans. I'm a bit concerned about the let down and the fact that Saunders is familiar with this D. I guess it works the other way too though in that Blache should have Saunders playbook laying around somewhere.

Posted by: Gweez | October 7, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Alex, while I do share your same enthusiasm about historic documents, I was talking about the parade route in the first week of February.

Yeah, that one.

I know I'm commiting blasphemy or blogsphemy, but I've asked for it, envisioned it, claimed it, so therefor it is so.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The mark of a well-coached team is being able to plug in dudes from down the roster and have them succeed.

Hmm... I guess that's also the mark of a well-assembled roster, so a tip of the hat to Vinny.

All the experience the young depth chart dudes are getting is critical for the team's future... and their good play is critical for the team's present.

(Obvious)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

silly me and my immediate assumption that we were debating philosophy not parade routs. What's that tell you.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that one.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Has all 700 pages of Saunders playbook been on display yet in St Louis? The Skins will need to pounce on the Rams early and deflate their confidence. We can't let this team hang around on the scoreboard ala the Girl's and Cincy' last week. We have too many vets for a letdown.

Posted by: gregskins | October 7, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I knew it wouldn't be long before you would start back with your negative feelings for this team. You really just need to move the F on! JM220 Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 7, 2008 8:41 AM

jm, chill dude!!! jasno's doing the best job on covering the skins in town.

skins will win by 30 points this week. that is my official pick. yes, it is an emotional pick sort of cuz i'm so sick of C analysts not doing their job and running their face(yes, face!). there's a reason they're not A like tom jackson and aikman.

other reasons are that this week zorn will reveal why he drafted fred davis. with double tight end sets (in 4 receiver formations). and catching st. louis in blitzes (cuz that's what weird al told jim "hazelet" to do to pressure jc) and making them pay for it.

also karim moore climbing up the depth chart to take over doughboy. and the D getting better. i actually saw durant brooks run faster than doughboy on that punt return for TD.

i actually want someone nasty on the D to rip #22 next time he drops an INT. it's just not funny no more.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

replace "C analysts" with "D list analysts"

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Deal, based on Thomas ripping Thomas for the offensive pass interference, I'd say that someone on the defense, Fletch maybe needs to take that role as the defensive ripper...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 7, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Great wins the last two weeks against the Cowboys and Eagles, but I'm still concerned that we've got zero pass rush. The lack of TO's the last two weeks is the direct result of not getting to the QB. If we don't do a better job against St. Louis or Cleveland, I'd be concerned since their lines are pretty weak. I don't think J. Taylor will be back for at least a couple more weeks so we're going to have to get some pressure without him.

The punter Brooks is killing us: two short punts returned for TD's, lowest net punting average, and lousy holds for Suisham until last two weeks. Skins should be auditioning Collins as holder and start bringing in some competion for Brooks....he's going to cost us a game sometime this year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 7, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 7, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Great wins the last two weeks against the Cowboys and Eagles, but I'm still concerned that we've got zero pass rush. The lack of TO's the last two weeks is the direct result of not getting to the QB. If we don't do a better job against St. Louis or Cleveland, I'd be concerned since their lines are pretty weak. I don't think J. Taylor will be for at least a couple more weeks so we're going to have to get some pressure without him.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 7, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Read the below article from ESPN Mark Mosley. This is why the "CryGirls" are going no where!!

Posted by: wstclair | October 7, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I'd hold off a bit longer before I started bringing in other punters, and give the rook more of a chance to establish the consistency we need at that position. Everyone seems to agree that he's got the leg for the job, and that he just needs to reduce the number of bad punts.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 7, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

The Rams have a very difficult schedule- losing to the Eagles, Giants, Seahawks, and Bills. After they play the Redskins, it's Dalls next week! They didn't even make the playoffs last year. A team with nothing to lose is your scariest opponent. Go Skins!

Posted by: jeffkuske | October 7, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

brilliant idea, dealer. only problem is not every problem can be solved by someone getting in your face. this one won't fly. it's not a mental mistake. it's not a matter of focus, or concentration. dude can't catch. period.
in the glass is half full mode, why don't you give the boy some props for getting to the ball and preventing the other team from catching it? that's the CB's primary job.
i like interceptions as much as anyone, but not many CB's are very gifted at it.
move on folks, nothin' to see here....

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 7, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Steven Jackson did not run over Sean Taylor. Jackson had already gotten into field goal territory and Taylor did the smart thing and went for the strip. Field goal or TD in overtime doesn't make a difference its a L for WSH. Great effort by Taylor.
Did anyone else immediately think after they saw Landry get run over by Jacobs, that Taylor wouldn't be getting run over like that?

Posted by: Skew | October 7, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse