If he can't play, Derrick Dockery looks to contribute from the sideline

On Sunday, Derrick Dockery watched an NFL game from the sideline for the first time in his eight-year career. Beaten out by Kory Lichtensteiger for the starting left guard spot and deemed less versatile than backup Will Montgomery, who can play center or either guard spot, Dockery was inactive and took on a new role: advisor.

"It was strange, not being out there because you're a competitor," Dockery said Wednesday. "You want to play. But it is what it is."

Dockery spent most of the 16-13 overtime victory over Green Bay watching the offensive line with former Redskin Pro Bowler Chris Samuels, who has served as a coach since he retired last offseason. He said he was able to offer advice between series.

"I can see, like, the pass rush moves, tell them the different schemes and things they might be running," Dockery said. "There might be some technique issues that we're having on the offensive line. I can see that from the sideline. I'm watching everybody. It's like being a coach. I might do that someday. We'll see."

Because Dockery is 6-feet-6 and 325 pounds, it's easy to conclude that he struggled with the Redskins' move to a zone-blocking scheme, which requires mobility from its linemen. Coach Mike Shanahan excelled during his 14 seasons as head coach in Denver by employing smaller linemen who were more mobile, and Lichtensteiger - a former draft choice of Shanahan's in Denver - is listed at 6-2, 292.

But Dockery dismissed the idea that the new offense cost him his job.

"We ran some zone schemes last year," Dockery said. "Everybody runs a zone scheme, so I don't think that's it."

Dockery had started 111 straight NFL games before Lichtensteiger beat him out for the Week 3 start at St. Louis. He was asked, after he was inactive for the first time, whether he thought he could win his job back.

"We'll see," he said. "I don't know. I'll just work hard, play hard every day in practice. I'm just supporting my teammates, telling them what I saw. I just work hard each and every day, which is what I've been doing, and go from there."

Video: Close games and Anthony Armstrong

By Barry Svrluga  | October 13, 2010; 12:36 PM ET
Categories:  Anthony Armstrong, Derrick Dockery
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth scheduled to return to Redskins Thursday
Next: Elite QBs, longtime friends--and foes on Sunday

Comments

Hopefully, Dock can claw his way out the Shanny hell to where he's at least active on game day.

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Ray Small added to the practice squad. Another Wr,from Ohio State no less...barf.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Another "Small" WR? Skins sign former OSU WR Ray Small to PS. 5' 10'' and 180 lbs. Ran a 4.44 40 tho, so he has some speed. Also returned punts and kicks for OSU.

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan has to at least be thinking about moving Dockery back in after Lickenstickum's lame performance on Sunday. They can run on Indy if they play the power game. That means to me Dockery over Lickenstickum, even if it means he is a game day inactive. I also believe they need another tackle active for the game, even if Brown and Williams play.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

#82 Ray Small
Position: Wide Receiver
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 180
Year: Senior
Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio
High School: Glenville
Major: Sociology

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 13, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Points against is def. a more important stat than yards against, however one troubling stat so far this year is that on the year we have been outscored, one of the very few winning teams in that category. Granted 4/5 games have ended on the last snap, but over time teams will usually level out in games decided by 6 points or less.

We've had our share of bad luck the past couple season in those types of games, but 3-2 is solid at this point in the season.

Hail!

Posted by: saltine182 | October 13, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Can't argue with the Dude's attitude. He's committed to working hard and contributing whatever he can. He'll be back... bigger and better than before... and soon too.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 13, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Should 'Skins pursue a low-price deal for Merriman once he heals and Chargers have to release him? Would be low risk with big potential upside.

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Still surprised at the decision to pull Dock out for Liectensteiger. I'm not seeing the upgrade, but I don't look at it as carefully as the coaches do. Perhaps more surprised that Dockery didn't even suit up. Its not like we've got great OL depth ... and we have had OL guys get dinged up pretty often.

Also wonder if Dock might be asked to try another OL spot, including RT/LT. OL backups are a lot more valuable if they can handle more than 1 position. And backup seems like that is where Docks career is going to be.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 12:51 PM
-------------------------------------------
Anyone besides me think Shanahan has real wood for speed? The last running back and wide receiver the Redskins signed both had 4.4 speed. That was after elevating Banks and signing Chad Simpson. Maybe the thinking is we play in a "slow" division with not a lot of team speed amongst the other NFC East squads...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

off the subject here, but just saw information concerning Shawn Merriman and the Chargers. Once, Merriman clears injure-reserve, he will be released/available. Could be interesting being a local kid and experience in the 3-4. Would we take a chance on him?

Posted by: redskinbo | October 13, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

ESPN NFL - Chargers put LB Shawne Merriman (calf) on IR with designation (he must be released when healthy)

I say we go for him!!!

Weren't we mentioned as a trade destination for him a while back???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

It makes me wonder how big Mike Williams would have excelled in the zone blocking scheme.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 13, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 1:05 PM
------------------------------------------
He's done. Buyer beware. Let someone else take the risk.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I say we go for him!!!

Weren't we mentioned as a trade destination for him a while back???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone besides me think Shanahan has real wood for speed?

_________________

Sure looks that way lately RSH. I for one am glad to see it (speed, that is) because I think it is essential in today's game and it has not really been a feature of recent Redskins teams.

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

First of all should have sign Kevin Mawae he is ten times better then CR.

Posted by: Gussneck | October 13, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Skins signed another wr to practice squad? Does this mean another Saturday ps promo for a player like Terance Austin? Joey Galloway cut maybe?

Posted by: roccoskins | October 13, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

wonder if they have considered trading Dock to a team that needs a power LG? If not, wonder if they will try and trade him in off season, cant remember how old Dock is or if he even has any value out there.

It seems funny that the people down here in Charlotte or pretty excited to have landed D. Thomas, talk about him as the next TO or Jerry Rice...

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 13, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

First of all should have sign Kevin Mawae he is ten times better then CR.

Posted by: Gussneck | October 13, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

This...

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Our teams have been supppper slow for yrs....

A few burners couldn't hurt....

Merriman maybe done startin but his experience will get him signed somewhere

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of Lickenscrotum. That said, I like what I see developing over the last several weeks so I am going to stay true to the Shanahallen approach.

PS - I bet a dollar that Shanny called the Colts and asked them to mention that they tried to get DT11, just to piss him off for ending up in Carolina.

He's that dark.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 13, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Our teams have been supppper slow for yrs....

A few burners couldn't hurt....

Merriman maybe done startin but his experience will get him signed somewhere

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 1:15 PM
-----------------------------------------
The league is filled with slow linebackers with experience, which is all Merriman is now. Dude was good once upon a time, but the wonder years are over. After he wrecked his knee I bet he can't even run a 5.0 forty.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

If he can't play, Derrick Dockery looks to contribute from the sideline - Title of Post

Looks like Doc is lookin to climb up another depth chart for the next few weeks: WaterBoy!!!

Doc "Can I get anybody some Gatorade?"

Lick-my-steiger "Sure, I'll take one! (Gulp) Eeewww, your ratio of powder to water is off a little, try putting a little more effort into it. Take pride in what you do, that's why I took your job!

Doc "Yes sir, let me get you a fresh one! (Walking to the bathroom)
You just wait white boy, let's see how you like this powder to p*ss ratio."

Poor Doc, that does sound like Shanny Hell, you may be on to something TWISI.

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Merriman maybe done startin but his experience will get him signed somewhere

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

He seems to be average ever since he got busted for PEDS/ then injuries, but many teams need help at LB

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone besides me think Shanahan has real wood for speed?"

We needed and infusion of speed as we were a slow team for years.

Too, when you look at Banks and Armstrong, what you also see are guys with a lot of lateral quickness--something that is essential in the NFL were just about every guy has great straight ahead speed.

Shanny like lean, athletic lineman and skill players with a lot of shiftiness.

That's a much more dynamic team than we've ever seen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan may be a Hall Of Fame-caliber coach, but I know what I see on Sundays. Lichtenstick is some str8 trash! Not saying Dock is going to the HOF, but ain't no way in the hell Lichtenstick is better than him!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | October 13, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the Lichtensteiger for Dockery move at all. Lichtensteiger got run over several times on Sunday. Normally because of the close quarters a guard plays in you never see a guard run over, but it happened to Lichtensteiger. The nose tackle for the Packers was in the Redskins backfield all day, another thing you never see. Granted Dockery isn't going to get out and lead a sweep, but I haven't seen Lichtensteiger do it either. Now that this is on film every nose tackle in the league is going to think he is Deacon Jones. McNabb had better have his running shoes on

Posted by: JAMNEW | October 13, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delfranklin4 | October 13, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delfranklin4 | October 13, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Danny won't stop until he's FINALLY taller than every member of our team!

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Danny won't stop until he's FINALLY taller than every member of our team!

Posted by: monk811
____

Post cracked me up!

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I say we go for him!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali +

Brandon if I have to choose between a WASHED UP Merriman and Zo to be opposite Rak I'm sticking with Zo.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 13, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"I don't get the Lichtensteiger for Dockery move at all."

I think what they want is a guard who can get up field and block on the 'second' level.

And maybe KLich excels at that and DDockery is more of a straight line drive, power blocker.

In any event, we should expect to see a new starting guard drafted next year.

Kory is just holding the spot for a better player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delfranklin4 | October 13, 2010 1:32 PM

You should leave your number up here so that Shanahan can call and get your opinion. The way he became a HOF-caliber coach is by getting advice from guys like you.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Lichtensteiger in for Dockery is probably a cost cutting move by GM Shanahan. I know Bruce Allen is the GM in theory, but Shanny is calling the shots. Dockery makes a lot more money than Lichtensteiger, but if your QB gets killed it is not a good cost cutting move!

Posted by: JAMNEW | October 13, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 13, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to cosign.

The NAME Shawn Merriman sounds good to suit up every Sunday, but I think right now he's living off the good couple years he had and not the injury plagued last couple of years that he ultimately is now.
I would love to take a chance on him if he signs for the veteran minimum, and if he gets healthy and breaks out Shanny looks like a genius. I'd just hate for us to sign ANOTHER washed up player for MILLIONS of dollars and him not pan out!

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I say we go for him!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali +

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 13, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

But i would prefer him to Andre Carter. Why we havent traded him yet is beyond me(yes i know he has a no trade clause).

Posted by: Stu27 | October 13, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

In any event, we should expect to see a new starting guard drafted next year.

Kory is just holding the spot for a better player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 1:40 PM

We may see that. It's a possibility. Or we could see Kory get better. It is only his second start in the NFL. Some guys have improved. Not saying Kory will, but I don't get the RI hate that he's drawn after two games.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 13, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to cosign.

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 1:46 PM

Too funny monk...I was about to ask where is hessone to cosign on this.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 13, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

dude, this is RI, where hatered is cultivated

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | October 13, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Merriman had to stop doing roids. He's no good anymore. We got zo anyway. I like where we are with outside linebackers. We need to get some young guys in at middle linebacker though.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Rsh- sorry for the confusion, I meant we need to add speed, such as bank, austin, now the other lil guy, not merriman, he is slow lol

Skins will win- I would take merriman for the right price. He could replace AC99.....

Id like zo as the starter with merriman on backup duty.

We need another lb.....

Out of fletch, mcintosh n carter I predict one will be on the roster next yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Id like zo as the starter with merriman on backup duty.

We need another lb.....

Out of fletch, mcintosh n carter I predict one will be on the roster next yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 13, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

cosign up up over here boss

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

This Dockery thing continues to amaze me. It ranks right up there with the geniuses cutting Bridgers last year, then he is starting at LT for the Cards and shutting out Jarred Allen. I'll make it simple so even the people at Redskins Park can follow. To run the ball, you have to be strong up the middle. We aren't. It was bad enough with just Rabach getting shoved back every play. Now we have Kory L, Rabach and Montgomery going backward. You could have Jim Brown in his prime at RB and it isn't going to work.

Posted by: Iamhumongous | October 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

cosign up up over here boss

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:12 PM
=====================

exactly! Use what we've got and build through the draft. No overpaid has-beens who can't stay healthy and would rather hang out with drug addled MTV reality stars instead of playing ball.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | October 13, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

But Dockery dismissed the idea that the new offense cost him his job.

====

No, Dock, that is it. When you left the first time, the word on the street was that you were immobile. As a bulldozer, you're not bad. As a fleet footed, lightweight Shannyman, you're in trouble.

Best of luck with your next team, I guess. Or hope Gibbs 3.0 happens.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 13, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse