A closer look at Devin Thomas's release from the Redskins

During Devin Thomas's rookie season, several Redskins veterans told me Thomas needed to grow up. They criticized his commitment to practice and study habits, saying he would have learned the playbook faster had he worked harder.

And Thomas, 23, showed more maturity during his second season. People I trust in the organization told me he was doing the right things in practice and in wide receiver position meetings, and a former Redskins assistant predicted Thomas would have a big game last season against the New Orleans Saints in Week 13. Thomas established career highs with seven receptions for 100 yards and two touchdowns in an overtime loss to the eventual Super Bowl champions.

Of course, none of that matters to Coach Mike Shanahan, who Saturday released the Redskins' top pick from the 2008 draft. With an opening on the 53-man roster, the Redskins promoted running back Keiland Williams from the practice squad for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers at FedEx Field.

Thomas was buried on the depth chart at wideout, and although Mike Shanahan was not forthcoming about Thomas's situation, Kyle Shanahan, Washington's offensive coordinator, often made it clear that the former Michigan State standout did not display the all-around performance the team seeks from the position.

To hear Thomas tell it, however, he still doesn't know what he did to apparently be viewed so poorly by the Shanahans.

"I still don't know, to this day, what it was or what I did," Thomas said Saturday afternoon in a lengthy phone interview. "I went out and I worked as hard as I could. Even when it was clear, you know, that they weren't going to play me, I just kept doing everything I could to try to show them I deserved to be out there. I had guys [teammates] telling me I should be out there and that they knew I could help the team win. And that's all I wanted a chance to do.

"I just wanted a chance to get out there and try to make some plays to help us. Maybe I just wasn't the type they're looking for. Maybe they just don't want a big-play receiver who can do everything. Maybe that wasn't appealing to them. I mean, I really don't know what it was. I wish I did know, but it is what it is. They made a decision. I guess it's best for me, too. Now, I can go to a team that wants me to make plays and help them win. But maybe I'll never know what it was."

An incident during a meeting in the preseason probably did not help Thomas improve his standing with the Shanahans.

As Thomas slept in the meeting, rookie wideout-punt returner Brandon Banks used his cell phone to take a picture of Thomas. Banks then transmitted the picture via Twitter. After team officials informed Shanahan of what occurred, Banks quickly deleted the picture from his Twitter account.

Could that have been a contributing factor to Thomas's release?

"I'm not really sure," Thomas said. "I mean, you know, if I shouldn't have been [sleeping] ... it looks bad for both sides. If I'm sleeping or him have a phone in the meeting ... I wouldn't say that's something you'd hold against a competitor.

"That's not something you'd hold against someone playing football and trying to make plays. But it doesn't even really matter now. That's in the past and they made their decision, so it's not something that matters."

Top wideout Santana Moss has a team-leading 22 catches. Joey Galloway and Anthony Armstrong are next among the wideouts with four receptions apiece. Listed at 6-feet-2, 218 pounds, Thomas was the Redskins' biggest receiver on the active roster. But that did not help him get on the field on offense.

Thomas hoped that his strong work on kickoff returns (he's sixth in the NFL with a 28-yard average) would make a difference, "but I was never really given a fair shot" with this coaching staff, Thomas said.

Although the Shanahans were comfortable releasing Thomas, some team likely would take a chance on a big, young wideout with speed. It is doubtful Thomas would clear waivers.

And even if he did, the Redskins would not attempt to re-sign Thomas to the practice squad. He's not eligible for the practice squad and, again, the Shanahans do not think highly of the first player the franchise selected after owner Daniel Snyder promoted Vinny Cerrato to executive vice president of the football operation.

The Redskins gave Thomas a $5-million signing bonus. He had base salaries of $445,000 in 2008, $550,000 in 2009 and is scheduled to have a salary of $750,000 this season. He was scheduled to receive $700,000 in bonuses last season and another $750,000 in bonuses this season.

"I wanted it to work out," Thomas said. "This is where I wanted to be. I wanted to help the Redskins win for the fans. But I'll be fine. I know I can play. I'll just have to go do it for somebody else."

By Jason Reid  | October 9, 2010; 3:37 PM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas, wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth not expected to play Sunday against Green Bay
Next: Redskins prepare to face Finley

Comments

-----------------------------

He did not say that...no way he said that...

Yup, dude does not get it.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Now the truth starts coming out...

Posted by: AdamCr | October 9, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks throws my man under the bus. Awesome. I luv it. Now that's how you make a team, snitching out the guy ahead of you. BBanks that's real tough.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they just don't want a big-play receiver who can do everything.

-DT

Um, bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Knucklehead...

Nevermind...this guy is a Wonder-lick Zero

Posted by: grandstrand | October 9, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

BBanks a little snitch. But devin is an idiot. That's the kind of thing that will get you cut. I wish he would have gotten his act together but I can't blame shanahan knowing this.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 9, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe they just don't want a big-play receiver who can do everything."

Devin Thomas

----------

and neither does Bill Belichick,

but nobody is confusing Randy Moss with Devin Thomas.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Thomas

Your next employer won't want you to sleep in the team meetings either. Just so you know...

Posted by: bschaper | October 9, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm officially sick of the drum beating for his "breakout" game against the saints last year.

-The saints were coming off a physically and emotionally draining win over the pats on monday night.

-They were missing a HUGE chunk of their d (5 starters, I believe).

-It was this blind squirrel's day to find a nut, that's it.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

so basically, Devin...

had you established yourself as a big play receiver, or as someone who could stay awake during meetings, I doubt they would have been using you to return kicks.

the only chance you had was to return one of those kickoffs for a TD, and that did not happen.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report

Okay, we get it. You're actually Devin Thomas. If dude hadn't been sleeping in team meetings he couldn't have had his picture taken. I'm not surprised that you don't get it either. Blame the picture taker not the sleeper...pathetic. That's like saying don't blame the home invader, blame the person that lived in it because it was their.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report

Okay, we get it. You're actually Devin Thomas. If dude hadn't been sleeping in team meetings he couldn't have had his picture taken. I'm not surprised that you don't get it either. Blame the picture taker not the sleeper...pathetic. That's like saying don't blame the home invader, blame the person that lived in it because it was there.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The high fructose corn syrup in Gatorade is to blame fro DT's downfall.

but Brandon Banks as the snitch with the cell phone camera.

interesting.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

If someone was willing to pay me $1.5 million in salary and bonuses this year, I guarantee I could stay awake during meetings.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 9, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Ok. The more this guy talks, the more I get it. He's just a total knucklehead who doesn't get it, like many of us have been suspecting all along.

"Maybe they just don't want a big-play receiver who can do everything."

I'm sure they do, Devin, see it's just that...hmmm...how do I say this...well I'll just say it: You are NOT a big-play receiver who can do everything.

"That's not something you'd hold against someone playing football and trying to make plays."

Ok, Devin, follow me here. You are 5th on the depth chart. You are NOT playing football. You are NOT making any plays. You are sitting on the bench. In order to play football and make plays, you need to do stuff like pay attention in team meetings and not fall asleep, so you can know what you need to do in order to play football and make plays. Does that make sense?

Posted by: p1funk | October 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

not once in any of the reports in any publication does thomas say that he talked directly to the coaches or he takes blame for his shortcomings!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 4:19 PM

Damn you HFCS!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

That was most def a rat fink move on the part of BB.

but it does serve DT right.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I know most Redskins fans will follow the team blindly, and place this all on Thomas. But I also know this, he is the 2nd best receiver on this team. This Shanahan doghouse crap is doing a number on chemistry for some players. Shananhan better win, and better not have an issue at receiver for the rest of the season. Seems to me we have hired Cerrato and the Snyder mess continues.

Here s to watching Joey Galloway come up on long balls for the rest of the season.

Posted by: flsnupe | October 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Too stupid, too lazy. Looks like both.

Whats the under/ over in years until hes broke?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 9, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dumb and Dumber for yet another wasted draft choice.

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Cocks kicking Bama straight in the jimmy.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report

That happened in preseason, right? If that was the straw that broke the camel's back, Devin never would have made the roster. In fact, they kept him around through four regular season games to try to make a player out of him. Has nothing to do with Banks, everything to do with Devin Thomas.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Armstrong was on the junkies this week saying that he catches zzzz in meetings. In fact he said it'd be hard to find a player that didn't catch some zzz every now and then in these meetings. It's boring and the meetings are long. If that's the reason MS is trotting out as the reason for DT not playing and getting cut, then it's another lie that he feeding the local press and ultimately the fans. I would find it hard to believe that MS would consider that the reason DT was in the doghouse.

Posted by: TWISI | October 9, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 9, 2010 4:28 PM |

Maybe a reason this team isn't very good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Caught sleeping after a night of starring in the music video with his girl!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 9, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, now we know why he went to Michigan State. I have a couple of friends who are long-time assistants at big 10 schools who have said for years that Michigan State is forced to recruit the left overs who are too stupid to go to the other big 10 schools.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The current and previous regimes' Receivers coaches, Quarterback Coaches, Offensive Coordinators and Head Coaches EVALUATED Mr. Devin Thomas through multiple seasons' OTAs, mini-camps, training camps, pre-seasons and seasons. Both reached the same conclusion. DT11 is not an NFL PLAYER.

The Skins have lost nothing. If a big target is what you want, Fred Davis is waiting in the wings. If a reliable possession receiver is what you want, Cooley and Moss are there.

If game-breaking speed and elusiveness is what you want, Brandon Banks has an electricity that DT11 never will have. BB's spark, not his Twitter account, is what DT11 had no answer for.

Marko Mitchell was a tougher, more physical big receiver than DT11, and couldn't make it in this league.

DT11 will get some looks by other teams, but his professional career will be nowhere near as long or as productive as diminutive, electric Brandon Banks'. Who can't see this?!

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

DT really thinks he's a big time receiver that can do everything huh? he has butter fingers. he was our carlos rogers in offense for the past 2yrs. i can't believe we passed on de'sean jackson for this guy - or should i go on with passing on him twice for also getting "MR.IR" malcolm kelly. Hey Devin! If you're such a big time receiver that can do everything, why didn't you do it in the past two years? yeah a lil glimpse of this and that, but that's all you are... that's why we will only have a glimpse of you in the NFL

Posted by: scmesina | October 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 4:40 PM

Your handle made me chuckle

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 4:34 PM

Limme guess...Northwaestern and Purdue?

Posted by: TWISI | October 9, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Cell phones aren't allowed in meetings at all, possibly to prevent distractions, possibly to prevent insider information from accidentally getting out. If you aren't supposed to have them in the meeting then i'd think it would be a bigger deal for the cell phone photographer than it would be for the sleeper. I just thought it's funy that the last receiver added to the roster is the same guy who posted the snooze photo.
And while of course you don't blame banks for him being sleep; if what armstrong says is true,you gotta think that his snoozin woulda flew under the radar had BB16 not tweeted it. Who knows maybe then his professionalism wouldn't be questioned, then again they didn't question banks about his professionalism in regards to following team rules about cell phones.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

It's a Shanahan conspiracy. Brandon Banks is obviously Shanny's illegitimate son. Look at his height. Now Mike's got both undeserving sons on the team! All at the expense of future All Pro DT11.

Arrington has confirmed the Eagles and Cowboys are in on the conspiracy as well, losing to the Skins to allow the Shanahans and Haslett to build their heretofore non-existent credibility.

From now on I'm spending my Sundays watching DT11 play at his new team, rather than watching the Redskins. (As a side benefit, this should save me A LOT of time. I figure it will free up my Sundays entirely.)

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Carolina would be a good place for DT11.

Posted by: grandstrand | October 9, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:51 PM

I hear ya, but I think this just shows that if you bring it in practice, that stuff is overlooked.

The sleeping thing is just what fans are focused on, not the reason he got released.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report

Maybe they did Devin. Maybe they just thought he would turn out to be better than you. Maybe they thought he paid attention in meetings, learned the routes, played hard in practice and so just gave him the proverbial warning. I mean, I know you were on the team but it's been proven that you don't pay attention so I'm sure the coaches comments to Banks slipped by you. I mean, if you can't pay attention in meetings we can't really trust your word whether they said something to Banks about his professionalism or not...or if cell phones are allowed in meetings or not.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | October 9, 2010 4:03 PM

How is Banks a "snitch"? If he's a snitch, he goes straight to Shanahan and tells him that DT is sleeping. Posting to Twitter is far from "snitching"...especially when you consider that NOBODY would expect Shanahan to be on Twitter (unless the younger Shanahan is hip to that technology).

Either way, DT made his own bed. If he acts like he gives a damn about football, he's still here--plain and simple. All he ever did was create the appearance that he's more interested in attaining the fame associated with football instead of making the game of football itself his focus. No amount of photos from Banks or Fantasia or the paparazzi creates that perception quite like DT's own actions.

Personally, I hate to see a talented kid like that piss it all away. For his sake, I hope he gets his act together. Too bad it won't be in burgundy and gold (if at all)...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 9, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report

These are the kinds of posts you would get if Beantowngreg took stupid pills every hour instead of just once a season.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 9, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

TWISI: Actually Ohio State and Wisconsin. Independently, they both said that Ohio State and Michigan have their way with all of the best players in Ohio and Michigan, a couple of the other big 10 schools get some of the rest and then MSU gets what is left over. They were not being critical of the MSU staff, they were just saying that MSU always has been the weak sister in the recruiting wars in the area and had to take chances on players that the other schools weren't sure could handle the classwork and playbook load.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

MS I kinda of get sick and tired of some of the decisions he is making.I know he better win thats all i got to say period.I think that was a bad move you dont get rid of a hungery player who is ready to prove something now, should have given him a chance on the field at least to see what he had and now we will not find out.

Posted by: rdbdaddy | October 9, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

It's a very very very good thing that coaches don't listen to fans. Because Colt Brennan and DT are headed for the Hall of Fame, according to many. Yep. No chance Shanny knows what he's doing. He's petty, holds a grudge, and released DT cuz he knows about as much about players as Cerrato. Has to be that way. I mean, there's no chance that fans overrated DT and he's actually not that good. Because that would mean fans are wrong, and that of course is never the case. Got it.

Posted by: pgugino | October 9, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I heard DT was having many ladies being driven to and from his house at all times during the night using the same driving service the skins use.

I can see why he was tired...

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 9, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I do hold MS responsible for wasting a roster spot by keeping DT in the doghouse through the first 4 weeks of the season when he knew the guy wasn't going to get an offensive rep. Everyone in the league knew going into the season that the Skins had one of the thinnest receiver corps around.

Shanahan should have cut DT at the end of preseason and picked up someone like Houshmanzadeh who was available and able to complement Moss.

Banish the doghouse. If you don't want someone in the lineup at all, just cut them already and get someone who could have been making a difference against the Texans and Rams.

There's still no one on the roster to pull in a fade route in the end zone.

Posted by: fwiw_in_NoVa | October 9, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

pgugino: I think you might have hit it on the head. It is amazing how many folks have been saying that Shanny should have given DT a chance on the field. Clearly, they never have played. You aren't given a chance you earn it in practice and if you can't beat out a 90-year old Joey Galloway in practice, you don't deserve a chance during a game. You earn your way into games and if Shanny was a coach who was as petty as some folks think he is, he never would have lasted in the NFL, let alone win two super bowls. Please!

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Now he AND 'TD'MARKO (cut 10/5) are available. I wonder which one gets picked up first?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 9, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I am not convinced that DT was worse than ALL 53 players on the roster. He's #6 in KR, and, as has been pointed out, has made good blocks on PR. I've also seen him block effectively in the WR -- which is important in this offense.

I don't know what has gone on and why he was so far down on the WR chart. We never saw him this season.

Is he a knucklehead? Probably, his history and comments sure make that case. But I've also seen him do enough good things on the field in KR and as a WR last season to wonder how he was behind Roydell, Galloway and Austin.

There's another story here, my guess is only the Shanahans and a few others know it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 9, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Sleeping in a meeting is enough reason for me to cut his lazy a** The guy makes as much or more than a typical corporate executive. You just don't find those guys catching a few Z's in meetings. If they did, they'd be shown the exit immediately.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 9, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

This disappoints me. I would have loved to DT out there showing what he could do. The fossils have done anything substantial and I hate that they've stood in his way.

Hopefully we will bring DT back but it doesn't look like it. I wish him the best

Posted by: jblacknj | October 9, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

F'ck him. Good move Shanahan, this sends a message to the rest of the team...I like Banks more now that I know he has the moxie to "dime out" Thomas.
If you were being paid more than 3 million dollars a year would sleep in meetings?...not for long. The fact that they canned him this late is the only issue I have with team management, cuz you can't build a house with deadwood.
F'ck him...what a waste of everything..."big play receiver" my a$$.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

OK. All you guys villifying Devin Thomas for sleeping at one of the team meetings, raise your hands if you have never dozed or snooze on the job. Liars, show your true faces!

There were even stories of former President Ronald Reagan sleeping at meetings concerning the affairs of not only the United States but of the Cold War era world. In the Bible, while Jesus Christ was praying fervently and instructed his inner circle: Peter, John and James to keep watch, what was Peter doing? Sleeping. Jesus Christ tried frantically to keep him awake. After the third time, our Lord had to give up. Recently, we learned of future hall of fame basball player, 40-year-old Ken Griffey Jr. missing a chance to pinch-hit in Seattle Mariners game because he was sleeping in the team’s clubhouse. Would that take away from his illustrous achievements? Absolutely Not!

The problem with hypocrites is that they are always ready to throw stones, even though they live in stone houses. The guy probably had a tiring day and just dozed off at the Redskins meeting. I know I have dozed in boring meetings, training sessions or when I was just plain tired. Many of you sleep in your office cubicles and rooms or just take extended bathroom breaks to snooze. So he who has never sinned, let continue to throw stones at Devin Thomas.

Posted by: midas20874 | October 9, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874 | October 9, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874 | October 9, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874

Geez midas, say it don't spray it.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

And another one's gone, another one's gone, another one bites the dust!

Vinny Cerrato = worst GM EVAR!

Seriously he has to be, right behind Matt Millen.

For giggles, here's DT's pre-draft report card:

Devin Thomas WR 6'2 216 Michigan St. 4.40
By: Robert Davis

"Thomas began his career at Coffeyville Community College, hauling in 33 passes for 674 yards and five touchdowns as a redshirt freshman in 2005. He then moved on to Michigan St, where he did not make much of an impact in 2006. Thomas blew up in 2007, catching 79 passes for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns.

Thomas has everything you look for in a WR. He has good size, and is built very well. He has the strength and the bulk to cross the middle of the field and take a hit while holding on to the football. He combines that physical style of play with excellent athleticism and the speed to outrun defensive backs. His combination of speed and power make him tough to bring down in the open field and he is a guy that can break off big plays on a consistent basis.

The whole one hit wonder tag is going to follow Thomas until he proves himself in the NFL. His production was non existent until his final season. He will need some time to refine his receiving skills though, as he relied on his natural gifts last season.

Thomas is the complete package at WR and has the talent to be a pro bowler in the NFL. If he puts in the work and his team is patient, he could really blossom and develop into a go to receiver in the NFL. His big year and big post season could make him the top receiver selected in April."

One hit wonder indeed! Good job Vinny!

"This Shanahan doghouse crap is doing a number on chemistry for some players."

The few of you bashing Shanny on here, please stop now. DT sucked...SUCKED and saying he is the 2nd best WR on this team isn't saying much because many think this is the worst bunch of WR's in the NFL. Shanny is purging all of the players who cannot play, which is going to be like half of the roster that Vinny assmebled. Get used to it, more cuts are coming.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 9, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

URL tells the story:

/a-closer-look-at-devin-thomass.html

Posted by: sorengo1999 | October 9, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz

You can call him ray, or you can call him jay, or you can call him rayjay, or you can...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

---------------------
Where do you work, in a mattress store? You make it sound like a nap at the desk is part of the normal, daily routine for the average worker.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 9, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

-They were missing a HUGE chunk of their d (5 starters, I believe).

-It was this blind squirrel's day to find a nut, that's it.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 9, 2010 4:09 PM

That is just not a compelling argument. How many starters are missing on GB's defense this weekend? Based on your argument DT11 should be starting this weekend. As the season goes on, teams field fewer and fewer starters due to injuries. It is very rare that 100% of any defense or offense is ready to go during the 16 game NFL season. He wasn't given a chance to show what he could do on the field with this offense period. I guess I'll just have to watch Galloway continue to drop 70 yard spirals from McNabb. Here's a concept, if you touch the ball catch it. DT11 will be missed, even if the coaching staff doesn't admit it.......

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 9, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

Posted by: randysbailin | October 9, 2010 5:51 PM

I've never, NEVER slept at work. As a matter of fact, I've gone endless hours at work INSTEAD of getting some z's. You probably work for the gov't. (Not you randy, I'm speaking to this idiot midas who pretends that everyone is just as lazy and worthless as he is.)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

Posted by: randysbailin | October 9, 2010 5:51 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

So were the bonuses this year roster bonuses? Is this to save 750k?

Why not the practice squad? Let someone claim him and pay the cash. He must have really crossed someone not to get the catch, release, and re-catch routine.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 9, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin

Yeah, I know. The "other people sleep at work so its okay" argument will gather little purchase here. We got fans on RI who complain about lax discipline and ineffective management, but some of those same people are shocked when a tough decision has to be made to give-up on a bum like DT.

He can run like a gazelle and has size and strength that others would kill for, but doesn't put in enough effort...remember Michael Westbrook?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 9, 2010 5:58 PM |

Read it all again. He is NOT practice squad eligible.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

This is a stupid move and it will come back to bite the skins..

Remember we said that Lloyd was a knuckle head and look at him now, he put up numbers in Chicago and now in Denver, but he's a knuckle head

Remember Darnariean McCants??..said he couldn't play and he came back and torched us twice...

Remember James Thrash, cut him and he came back and torched us several time and then we get him back after his knees are shot....

Remember Nduke Kalu...let him go and he came back and torched us...

So far with the exception of London, T.Williams, Orapko, L.Alexander, Banks and a few others, it's the same thing...WE PICK UP HAS BEENS AND OVERPAY FOR FREE AGENT TRASH and trade draft picks or waste them....

Again, this will come back...

Posted by: impervious99 | October 9, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Easy midas. Take it easy big fella.

Posted by: CROSSHugger | October 9, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Lets face it. This move has been simmering for weeks. Shanallen tried to salvage what little value from DT they could... and got no takers across the league.

Once CP's groin kept him out for 4-6 instead of IR, they needed to bring back K Williams at RB.

DT11 has been hanging by a thread, and that thread broke this week when a roster move had to be made.

Think about it. How fing lame, stupid, lazy or whatever do you have to be to get cut as a a 6'2" 215 WR who runs a 4.4 40? Answer? Extremely lame, stupid, lazy whatever.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 9, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

He will get picked up by either the Bills,Rams,Titans,or Raiders

Posted by: wattsicon | October 9, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Coach is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What other receiver do you have after MOSS...ANSWER NO ONE!!!!!! Galloway is old and BANKS & ARMSTRONG dont scare JV football coaches defenses!!!! I Pray McNabb makes it through the season better yet the next several weeks NO PORTIS, NO PASSING GAME, NO PLAYOFFS....1ST overall PICK in the 2011 DRAFT!!!!!!

Posted by: MrKFerguson | October 9, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 5:59 PM

Don't compare him to Michael Westbrook. Michael Westbrook had seven years in the NFL. 285 receptions, 26 touchdowns. He was a big disappointment, but Devin Thomas can't even wear Michael Westbrook's jersey.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 9, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

This is a stupid move and it will come back to bite the skins..

Posted by: impervious99 | October 9, 2010 6:05 PM |

-------------------------------------------
Brandon Lloyd's Chicago Bear career.

2008 Chicago Bears 11 5 26 364 14.0 32 2 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Can you say goodbye credibility? I bet you can.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Thomas,

We had a quarterback who used the excuse of having so many offenses to learn over his years as a player. He moved to Oakland and lasted a game and a half. He now sits on the bench on one of the NFL's worst teams.

You now whine you weren't given a fair chance. You were paid millions as a rookie who really didn't do anything in college and hadn't caught one pass in the NFL. Now in your third season, you whine because you are let go - your claim to fame this year is that you had positive yards on kick off returns. Yet somehow, in the position you were drafted, you couldn't impress an Idiot as Head Coach (Zorn), nor could you impress a Super Bowl Winning Head Coach (Shanny).

And we are supposed to believe YOU?

You can rest easy, Mr. Thomas, as you'll join the Leigh Torrance level of Redskin players who weren't capable of wiping their own bottoms without help. You'll likely not even rise to the level of Colt Brennan. But of course, you weren't given a chance to rise to those levels of competence.

Oh, boo hoo.

Mr. Thomas, surprisingly you have Brandon Banks who is barely too large to fit in a pro player's jock when standing up, that manages to outwit you with a photograph and with actual heart on the field. He can run kickoffs as well as you and has even caught a football in his first season. And it is highly likely that he has gone through more chapters of a pro style offensive playbook than you did when you had a coloring book playbook to master.

In the end, you simply became dead weight that was glaring in its lack of production. And when there are old men having to be brought in to do your job, don't whine when they manage to catch more balls than you have. It is true that Shanny can be vindictive and mean spirited; but he has won more football games in his sleep than you have through your efforts so Shanny gets a pass and you get the boot.

In the end, maybe you'll rise to new levels of output and you'll catch the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl. Me thinks that can only happen while playing Madden 2010.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 9, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: impervious99 | October 9, 2010 6:05 PM

No matter how much I try I just can't understand this type of logic. So the Skins should have kept this idiot for three years hoping that maybe he would get his head out of his ass? Perhaps you think the Skins gave up on Zorn too early as well.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard

hehehe. Yeah, and what kills me is he keeps saying how hard he worked and calls himself a big-play receiver.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417

Zorn, Cerrato, vinny for 2 years; Shanahan and Allen for 8 and a half months.

Trying to get someone to develop isn't bad if you have the right options, things have changed though. Banks can do what DT did but better and did so faster: he gets the roster spot if it comes to that. It has recently come to that in the game to game personnel juggling.

I see why management did what they did; in the preseason the offered compensation did not equal or exceed the calculated need, now the options for roster spot itself exceed the teams need for DT.

NFL= Not For Long for a reason.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 9, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse
-----------------

Well considering there is an iPhone app that aggregates all the players tweets and a non-twitter person like me can read them, I'd say banks knew his post wasn't private. And unless he's stupid too, he had to know it wouldn't make devin look good. Top it off with the fact that Cooley said shanahan follows everything off the field, I'd stick with banks' move being bush league. But not as bush league as sleeping through meetings and then running bad routes on the field. At the end of the day, DT made his own bed. I'm not crying for him.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 9, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

At least DT never head-butted the stadium wall after a touchdown and had to sit out a week because of it. I think Gus Frerotte ate paint chips as a child.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

DT was getting it done as a return man. I thought he was really good. He was never given an opportunity to make a play on the field as a WR. That has me scratching my head. Why wouldn't the Shannys give him a look see during a real game?
And Banks had absolutely no business posting DT's pic on his twitter account. He wanted to get DT in trouble and posted the pic for the world to see. He could have taken the pic and showed it to his teamamtes and laughed. And for those of you that are high and mighty, I am sure you have nodded off in at least one meeting.
Still, Shanny has been right about the cuts and trades so far. I was disappointed for what we got for Jason Campbell but now he is ridding the pine and maybe we got lucky getting anything at all. So, right now, Shanny gets the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: neil64 | October 9, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Well, regardless of DT11's potential or talent, he seems to have quite the posse.

There seem to be dozens of posters I've never seen before supporting him up here. I figure I'll just wait until Monday and they'll be gone, posting on the Omaha UFL message board since that will be his new team.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 9, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874 | October 9, 2010 5:40 PM

I'ma give you a chance to go back and read this again. I mean, really...this kind of idiocy just can't be fabricated...

Oh, and Steve Spurrier called...wanted me to remind you that hindsight is 50/50...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 9, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps you think the Skins gave up on Zorn too early as well.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2010 6:14 PM

-----------

My unabashed love, respect and adulation for Jim Zen has been well documented on this here blog.

I friggin' *heart* Jim Zen.

He's offered a job he's wholly under qualified for, and he takes it, like any of us might have, given the chance.

The roster he had to work with? The stuff of pure shartz. At least Shanny has Allen as GM and a QB named McNabb.

Having said that, Shanny is establishing himself as the Head Football Coach in a way Jim Zorn never did, owing to his laid back, genuine nice guy temperament.

Mike Shanahan is not a nice guy, no sir.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Once again, it is easy to get on the field and play; all you have to do is, in practice, beat out the guys in front of you. DT couldn't do that. All he had to do was beat out the oldest receiver in football and he couldn't. This crap about him sleeping.. he was the clown who threw this out in his interview. If he was going to get cut for sleeping in the meeting, he would have been cut when it happened. And to compare him to a president of the united states and a future hall of fame baseball player makes you come across as rather silly (I am not going to even get into the Jesus stuff) Those two where worn out at the end of accomplished careers, not underachievers who have never accomplished anything in their profession and who were fighting for a job. Big difference. Furthermore, if I was on the Northwest Airlines plane where the pilots fell asleep and missed the destination, I would have wanted them fired, even though the plane didn't crash.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

He didn't get released just because he napped in one meeting, i'm sure. They saw something.
If he was top notch, Banks could have filmed him with Shanny's wife and it wouldn't have mattered.

Posted by: westjr88 | October 9, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Thomas did not fit the Redskin profile -- old and slow.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | October 9, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

BB is a punk.

That was most def a punk move.

and I like it, only because the narcissistic knuckle head that is DT left his six wide open for a fast, sneaky little punk like Brandon Banks to deliver a tactical nuke waaaaay up there.

and I do look forward to BB taking the snaps that DT obviously took for granted.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope this for tomorrow......If we get a 2 touchdown lead again...I hope they don't start that f-ing ball control, prevent offense crap. Stay with what is working and cram it down their f-ing throat!!!!!!

Posted by: westjr88 | October 9, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins gave Thomas a $5-million signing bonus. He had base salaries of $445,000 in 2008, $550,000 in 2009 and is scheduled to have a salary of $750,000 this season."

That's some nice coin for very little work.

DT will giggle his way to some other team (Carolina?) and convince them that he is a player.

Thing is, the trail of green he leaves behind in D.C. makes you wonder if not having to work hard for the money is why the redskins seem like the ones who got played.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Probably too much tattoo and posin' (online and elsewhere) ego for the Shanahans to deal with- watch him burn us in a future crucial game with Chicago or somebody..

Posted by: frak | October 9, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874

Im not going to pay a lot for this muffler.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

***see A. Haynesworth

Posted by: westjr88 | October 9, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the profile he fits is sad; he couldn't be out players with less talent then he has. I hope that he gets his head together and becomes a good NFl player, but he had many opportunities to beat out some journeymen receivers, to start, and couldn't.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Devin, but I do know that throwing the corner fade to Armstrong twice in a row didn't work. I'm not really sold on young Shanahan's judgment.

Posted by: bobilly1 | October 9, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

DT has a similar build/game as Taylor Jacobs (bust)...Just glad we didn't hold on to him just b/c of he was a high 2nd round draft pick.

Posted by: Ronnie5 | October 9, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874

This is extremely funny. Nice job MichaelScott20874

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 9, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Thats A Total F'n Waste, I know we could have gotten at least a 6th round draft pick and a ham sandwich for DT. He will be picked up off the Wire "by the Patriots" and have a great year, another Leigh Torrence. I would have cut Roydell and kept working on getting a drat pick for DT, just a F'n waste ! wrong move IMHO .....

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

WOW! BBanks, is that how its done? Dude pulled out the SNITCH BLADE on DT while DT pulled out the BLAME THROWER on BBanks. incredible.

Posted by: jbrennan602 | October 9, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Carolina would be a good place for DT11.
Posted by: grandstrand |
--------
maybe the Outer Banks.
(...oops, there's that name again.)

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

IF any of you think Devin Thomas will go on to a successful career in the NFL you are about as clueless as DT. Name one receiver that Shanahan ever cut that went on to greatness. The guy knows receivers. You can't look at DT's successes without looking at the number of dropped balls, penalties and poor routes he ran. The guy was inconsistent and coaches wait careers for players like him to get it all together. Good-bye DT. I wish you success in music videos, modeling or bagging groceries. My guess is your days in the NFL are numbered...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 9, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | October 9, 2010 7:07 PM

Actually, I think they saw nothing...

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

There's a lotta good recievers in this years NCAA crop (more than QBs), I think the Skinnys smell it (" The wounde d cybertank was lined with hounddog olfactory cells connected to the head under the hood..The tank-dog could smell for miles...")

Posted by: frak | October 9, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

maybe the Outer Banks.
(...oops, there's that name again.)

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 7:40 PM

that's funny and so is your handle..

James Hardy was taken 7 picks later than DT and was 6'6 and earned top 10 @ the combine in the following categories: the bench press, the broad jump, the 3-cone drill, and the 20-yard shuttle.

He was cut by the Bills before the Season.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 9, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Curzon- that was funny!

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874

This is extremely funny. Nice job MichaelScott20874

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 9, 2010 7:21 PM

Pretty awesome.

Posted by: mack1 | October 9, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"All you guys villifying Devin Thomas... raise your hands if you have never dozed or snooze on the job."

I sleep on the job daily.

Did I tell you I work in a mattress factory?

(INSERT rimshot audio and bad pun groan)

My fat brother, the one who works on a gravy train, would quit his job but then wouldn't have anything to eat.

His wife smells so bad that skunks spray Fabreeze when when she walks by.

The only difference between the smell between her legs and a sub sandwich is lettuce and that too much meat has been packed between her buns.

His dumb daughter fails at oral sex because she talks about hoof and mouth disease while performing it.

She's so dumb she thinks incest is what you burn to cover the smell coming from between her mother's legs.

(INSERT rimshot audio and bad joke and pun groans as Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanks his pink NFL Breast Cancer Awareness tie and complains about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midas20874 | October 9, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

...and if my boss managed to get a picture of me snoozing on the job, then I'd fully expect for it to count as a strike against me and get my a$$ chewed out.

Moron.

Posted by: p1funk | October 9, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44, thx, as a long time poster can you tell me something? Is it just me, or would a lot of fans LOVE to meet up with Chad Dukes in a dark alley some night?

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

DT was a talented athlete that could bang 5 plus chicks at night...

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 9, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, it looks like we solved the mystery of why he wasn't used yet this season!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Fred Davis arrive late for a practice or something after oversleeping? What's w/ receivers on this team and 40 winks? Vinny must've been impressed by their ability to relax.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 9, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

belly_kilmer- Chad Dukes would LOVE to meet people in a dark alley. His preference would be that they are male.

I'm not a homophobe, I just typically disagree with most of his takes. Unless you're into bashing/living on the down low then I would avoid such an encounter with Lavar's on air partner.

I listen to the show occasionally but it's only when John Thompson is on his own show or because I've already heard the Howard Stern show for the day. .

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 9, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

So, while all this is going on, Albert Haynesworth is still on the team?

Posted by: bs2004 | October 9, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

randysballin: I guess that's what vinny meant when he said he was looking for sleepers in the draft.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Arrington sounds stoned and bitter, and Dukes sounds and acts like Biff in "Back to the Future". What a combo.

The few times I listened to BMitch (I'm living out of state), I enjoyed his show. But apparently, he's now longer on. Odd.

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I said this before time will tell, Shanahan stabbed Dan Reeves in the back when they were both in Denver when he was Reeves off.coordinator to get the head coaching job he is not highly thought of in certain coaching circles and after Elway left what did he do? that being said Devin Thomas did it to himself by being a goofball his rookie season and then trying to right the ship afterwards, this is a tough lesson for Thomas to learn he needs to use this as motivation, i'm not a big fan of Shanahan i think he's petty and insecure and lacks the acumen to help this franchise right itself, like i said time will tell.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 9, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 9, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but that might be because DT11 didn't have the heart to be on the field and getting into a big game emotionally. Gus way exceeded expectations when he was drafted as an afterthought so he gets a pass from me.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | October 9, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

So, while all this is going on, Albert Haynesworth is still on the team?

Posted by: bs2004 | October 9, 2010 8:33 PM
-----------
My eyes saw a beast against the Eagles. I, for one, will miss his impact this weekend, while looking forward to his play the following eleven (or more) games.

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 9, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

F Duke and

beep-beep (new post)

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 9, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

So, while all this is going on, Albert Haynesworth is still on the team?

Posted by: bs2004 | October 9, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

No comparison. AH has proven he can play at a probowl level when he wants. DT11 has proven that he can sleep at meetings.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | October 9, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Shanny is purging the mistakes made in the past under man-boy Snyder.

Tough job, but exactly what the Redskins need.

Posted by: beenthere3 | October 9, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I have not been a big fan of Alberts and have been critical of him; but, he did play well against the Eagles and I do wish him and his family nothing but the best during this very trying time. Our thoughts and prayers are with him.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Good guy or not. Best to let him go. Having him around is like seeing your ex every, damn day at the grocery story

Posted by: erthdog | October 9, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: erthdog | October 9, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

this guy wasnt given a chance to get on the field this year.the adolph shanahans had better start winning soon.i just dont see joey g.and roynell,or the SNITCH!,being better than thomas.its time to stop this macho bullshi-!all of these coaches are in d.c.for one thing and one thing only-suckah dannys doe!i still say that these coaches were fired(allen included)for making these same type of bone-headed moves.they do not know talent-period!if i'm wrong,i'll be the first to admit it

Posted by: billydee123 | October 9, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

DT - Little known fact was that he did know how to run the swinging gate.

Posted by: jnsbear | October 9, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

"...while Jesus Christ was praying fervently and instructed his inner circle: Peter, John and James to keep watch, what was Peter doing? Sleeping. Jesus Christ tried frantically to keep him awake..."

Yes, but Peter was a first ballot Hall-of-Famer who ran the 40 in 3.2 seconds and caught any ball that came within 20 yards of him. He was also a devastating downfield blocker, consummate team player, and averaged 99 yards per kick return.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 9, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

The man has two super bowl wins; not too may of us can claim that. My guess is that he knows what he is doing. The rest of us, I'm not so sure.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Devin your problems stem for being known more for appearing on Fantasia's music video and reality show than playing football.

Posted by: cleancut77 | October 9, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I hate the fact that a coach can be called a genius and yet he can't figure out how to work with the talent he's been given.

1.The coach decides to change the defense before he even gets to me the players.

2. He then takes his best players Fat Albert,Orackpo and Andre Carter all change positions, but the defense still sucks.

3.He decided to cut Demarco Mitchell, D Thomas, L Betts , Rob Cartwright, Willie parker and Larry Johnson with no suitable replacements.

4. He cut Hunter the punter and then has to bring him back.

5. He cuts Tyran and has to bring him back.

6. Santana Moss is saying the players are still trying to learn the offense.

7. The coach wasted the whole offseason bickering back and forth with fat albert.

Posted by: specialg7master | October 9, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

4. He cut Hunter the punter and then has to bring him back.

5. He cuts Tyran and has to bring him back.

6. Santana Moss is saying the players are still trying to learn the offense.

Posted by: specialg7master | October 9, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | October 9, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps with ur high IQ, could help DT?

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 9, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

4. He cut Hunter the punter and then has to bring him back.

5. He cuts Tyran and has to bring him back.

6. Santana Moss is saying the players are still trying to learn the offense.

Posted by: specialg7master | October 9, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me as if the coach has figured out how to work with the talent given to him. That talent was 4-12 last year... 4 and 12!!! Somewhere in that record is the suggestion that they were going in the wrong direction. So, he is making changes... time will tell if he gets this franchise going in the right direction. Besides, name an NFL coach or GM who hasn't made mistakes with personnel... the all have. It is not an exact science... ask Bobby Beathard about Ryan Leaf... and Beathard was pretty good.

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

1. It's silly to lay this one on Banks and the camera picture--that's just a symbol.

2. Devin Thomas...
--didn't run crisp patterns He got better but this wasn't a strength for him.
--didn't run patterns strongly when he wasn't the designated or #1 receiver. When you've got a veteran QB who will often throw to his #2 or #3 receiver, that's a problem.
--wasn't good at moving to open spots on broken plays (ie: when the QB moves outside the pocket to avoid the rush--which McNab will do a lot).
In short DT is a poor fit for McNab and he's a poor fit for this offense. If it was about napping in a meeting, he'd have been cut before the season started. But instead, he has an inflated sense of self, is a good KR and on a team screaming out for a wideout, never produced. You can't say he never got a chance b/c he did in practice and he did in preseason and all of the flaws I mentioned above where there to see.

Posted by: JoeW1 | October 9, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this cut is not that big of a surprise when you think about it. Williams was going to be added as the 3rd back, that was a given, he was practicing with the team all week. The only thing that was really in question was who was going to be cut. There were only 3 people on the team who could go on the practice squad if they cleared waivers and take Williams' place--Banks, Armstrong, and Paulsen. Banks and Armstrong would never have cleared waivers and moveing Paulsen off the team to the practice squad would have been a blow to special teams. That leaves few other options--cutting a veteran or trading for a draft pick to open up a spot. Supposedly DT had been on the trading block for the last week or so, obviously with no takers, or the cut would not have been needed. That is not to say someone won't pick him up for NFL minimum to cover an injury or try him out. He will likely get another chance with another team, but his route running is going to have to improve significantly as is his field-of-play situational awareness and ability to adjust to the quarteback moving out of the pocket consistently before anyone really takes him seriously. It's almost like the "Cult-of-Colt", have one good game (Saints) and suddenly, you're the greatest thing ever. I don't think so.

Posted by: drmammal1 | October 9, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this cut is not that big of a surprise when you think about it. Williams was going to be added as the 3rd back, that was a given, he was practicing with the team all week. The only thing that was really in question was who was going to be cut. There were only 3 people on the team who could go on the practice squad if they cleared waivers and take Williams' place--Banks, Armstrong, and Paulsen. Banks and Armstrong would never have cleared waivers and moveing Paulsen off the team to the practice squad would have been a blow to special teams. That leaves few other options--cutting a veteran or trading for a draft pick to open up a spot. Supposedly DT had been on the trading block for the last week or so, obviously with no takers, or the cut would not have been needed. That is not to say someone won't pick him up for NFL minimum to cover an injury or try him out. He will likely get another chance with another team, but his route running is going to have to improve significantly as is his field-of-play situational awareness and ability to adjust to the quarteback moving out of the pocket consistently before anyone really takes him seriously. It's almost like the "Cult-of-Colt", have one good game (Indy for Colt, Saints for Devin) and suddenly, you're the greatest thing ever. I don't think so.

Posted by: drmammal1 | October 9, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drmammal1 | October 9, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans suck! You guys have no idea how hard some of these players try. Sometimes in the NFL it's all about right time, right place. You guys wouldn't be happy with a fantasy roster, cause no one is good enough for you except the other teams players who are currently winning. You deserve to have another losing season. Maybe you should try to support the players who say they support you!

Posted by: ssred | October 9, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I endorse the move.....our talent is marginal at best...need hungry hard working dudes period--if DT wasn't working hard enuff for the coaches and was sleeping then bye bye a-hole........just his quip about BBanks having a fone in the mtg and not manning up on him sleeping. we don't need him.........he'll amount to little elsewhere if anywhere

Posted by: tabtool | October 9, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Phillip258 | October 9, 2010 9:54 PM

So did Joe Gibbs II. How did that work out for us?

Posted by: bobilly1 | October 9, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Who cares, the man was able to fool the bigger idiots (Vinnie and Danny) and got $6 million or more before he left. The Shanahans did not care, they were not responsible for the wasted money any way.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 10, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

This is a very dumb move that will come back to haunt the skins. Mark my words. Someone will pick him up and he will become a top flight reciever in this league. I dont know what it is about this organization but we always part ways with players who go on to do very well with other teams. Think Frank Wycheck, Antonio Pierce, Champ Bailey, Brandon Lloyd to name a few. Who gives a s--- if he may have fallen asleep in one team meeting. This guy is the biggest, fastest reciever on their roster. He was never able to get established under Zorn/J.Campbell offense which was not completely his fault. Such a waste. Other than S. Moss, we have J. Galloway, R. Williams and A. Armstrong - all who werent good enough to make anyone else's roster prior to this year.

Posted by: goscott2 | October 10, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

c. brennan is not like d. thomas who has tremendous athletic ability, brennan has NONE of that. shanahan should have let thomas play and he he fails on the field then you can say he can't cut it but never playing him and getting ZERO production from galloway and r. williams is a disaster. I certainly don't trust shanaKLAN he did nothing to strengthen the wr's position with players that could help immediately t. owens and t.j. houzmanzadeh but he brings in galloway whose career is over and williams a guy who was out of the league for years. again if the thomas screws up on the field fine get him out of their but because he fell off to sleep at some meeting and shanaKLAN is angry over that it is b.s.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 10, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

The one thing I truly saw from jump as a bad sign was that Devin had a website from the time he was drafted, which is even more pitiful from today's release:

The 2008 NFL draft saw 0 WR's drafted in the 1st round, but still he was the highest rated WR? Malcolm Kelly is next...

Posted by: bernard_thompson | October 10, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have a 6'2" 220 lb idiot than a 5'7" 150 snitch

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 10, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

$8 mil collected already?

Shoot, if I was him I'd forget all about risking my neck and my brain for football and just spend the rest of my life cooling out and kicking back, shuttling between Hawaii and Amsterdam.

Posted by: mr_bill_10 | October 10, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

It is essential that the new regime rid the organization of any and all things that are NEGATIVE reminders of the inept SNYDER/ CERRATO ERA.......Until they do....every little cluster**** will bring down the HATE ON SNYDER.....

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | October 10, 2010 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | October 10, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

If Shanahan can cut a player who Snyder once payed a $5 million signing bonus, then that player had better be a complete bust. If he outproduces our WRs someplace else, the second-guessers will have a field day.

I hope that Ryan Torain turns out to be a star, because at least that would balance the accounts a bit, as he apparently cost us nothing.

Posted by: khrabb | October 10, 2010 4:25 AM | Report abuse

My sources tell me that the final straw was in practice when McNabb was going through his progression of reads, he noted: (1) Moss covered (2) Cooley covered (3) Thomas still standing in his position at the line of scrimmage sound asleep.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 10, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas could not be reached for comment as he was taking his afternoon nap.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 10, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

If you guys read the mans quotes it is pretty obvious as to why he is gone.

Posted by: skins91r | October 10, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks again Vinny...Now who else has the target on their back. Systematic purge?
Just wish we could have gotten something in return for DT11 besides bad memories.
BA are you going to make that move now or is it to late? DM5 would like to have another weapon at WR besides Moss.

Posted by: stu_pid | October 10, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking Shanahan more and more every day.

Posted by: richs91 | October 10, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

monkeymayonaise: I've had enough of The Shanny trying to show who has the biggest GONIES! He cut LJ after two games, and now he carried DT for four games, knowing that DT won't see the field! I'VE READ quotes from former Broncos players saying that if you get in the Shanny's doghouse, FORGET ABOUT IT!

No what will truly show The Shanny's little guy syndrome is if he trades #92 while he's attending the funeral of his brother.... or soon thereafter!

Posted by: wagenstill | October 10, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wagenstill | October 10, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

All you guys vilifying DT for sleeping on the job, stand up and take a bow. As a former employER, I can tell you DT would be toast in my small business organization. To me it would have been very personal, and he would have packed his shyt as soon as I found out. 'Nuff said.

Now time for 'TD' MARKO's return.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 10, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Good riddance ... and don't let the door hit you in the butt as you're leaving.

Posted by: JohninNW | October 10, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

PUUUUUUUUUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE....this thickheaded moron failed to perform under two different regimes, in two different offenses. So is it that both coaches hated him and had it in for him, or maybe, just maybe..HES A BUM WITH THE IQ OF A GRAPEFRUIT who got dratfed about 4 rounds higher than he should have by an inept GM and simpelton owner?..If this dolt is the 2nd best receiver on ANY team, let alone ours, then that is a receiving corps in trouble. Dont confuse bad scouting and poor drafting by a GM with someone being a good player lol...fact that they couldnt trade this dope for a cold beer and a hot dog to some team tells you all you need to know about yet another Big Ten bred NFL bust...zzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: opticlguy | October 10, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Man...Unrealized potential that sucks! I just hope he doesn't realize his potential against US like most players do out of washington (wizards included ie. rasheed wallace, rip hamilton, ben wallace, etc). No he should NOT have been sleeping in the class but if rules are rules what was done to Brandon Banks for having a cell phone in a team meeting TWEETING? Crazy you can't institute new tradition while letting some break rules and let others get away with rule breaking!

Point blank if the Skinz dont get some reciever help after this season I'll feel like Bruce Allen is VC incarnate!

Posted by: SkinzFan4lyfe | October 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

It's kind of sad because the guy has upside and is pretty good. I think its not what he can do BUT what he didn't do that got him cut....sounds like he's missing a few nuts & bolts between the ears...

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 10, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

All you Devin Thomas haters are a joke. You think Galloway, Armstrong & Williams are better than DT? get your facts straight. DT is 6th in NFL in kickoff returns. those other 3 bums have been non contributors after they've been GIVEN a chance. the only place DT has been GIVEN a chance is kickoff returns and he's flourished. Had he been given a chance at Wide Receiver, McNabb would have found him & we'd be better off today. BAD call Shanahans, you put your ego before talent & you will PAY for this....

Posted by: prkviewtennis1 | October 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Shanaham is an IDOIT! YOU GET THIS GUY ON THE FIELD!

This is why he's not in Denver now.
Who's next?

I'm tired of IDOITS saying "FOR THAT TYPE OF MONEY I WOULD DO THIS OR THAT"

THE VERY FIRST HIT ON YOU WOULD BE CRYING FOR YOUR MOTHER!
YOU WILL HAVE ACHES THAT WILL BE WITH YOU FOR YOUR WHOLE LIFE!

Now if Money Bags SNYDER don't open up his WALLET and get VINCENT JACKSON here before the Patriots do.
This season will be lost by the middle of next month.
Sorry Devin hope you catch on with somebody else.
Stay Awake!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | October 10, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm not buying it that the Redskins dumped him without cause. Perhaps its true, but to me its far more likely that Thomas, like Cerratos other second round picks, is a dud. Nope - no De'Sean Jackson for us. We get a guy who's full of himself that doesn't ever produce and has a penchant for dropping open passes. What a shame of a pick. I do hope Thomas gets it together for his next stop, as his problems clearly aren't physical. But the bottom line is the Redskins, after 3 second round picks on receivers, STILL need a big play receiver to go with Cooley.

Posted by: ndickover | October 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobilly1 | October 9, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Whatever - Armstrong may not be HOF bound but he seems to be getting better every week. I'm willing to count those fade drops as first-game jitters. He was open, the ball was close, but it would have been an elite, big-time catch either throw to pull it in; they were not gimmes...and my $$ says he makes one of those plays under the same circumstances now. But we'll see, that is what makes watching the games fun :)

Posted by: jiji1 | October 10, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Another in a long line of Redskins draft busts.

Posted by: SmartAlec | October 10, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Armstrong seems to be getting better every week. ...and my $$ says he makes one of those plays under the same circumstances now.
Posted by: jiji1 | October 10, 2010 10:27 AM

Great Post, jiji1! The Man went up with authority, timing and sure hands on that touchdown throw within 4 quarters of you making the call.

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 10, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas just did not make plays. Period. Just like Jason Campbell. Anthony Armstrong makes plays and in his rookie season is much better than Devin Thomas. Easy decision for a coach.

Posted by: sruppert | October 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

if big tough no nonsense coach shanahan is releasing devin for sleeping in a meeting, why is haynesworth still on the team after everything he did this offseason....double standard. doesnt make since to me. the last thing you wanna do is give a guy as talented as devin thomas a reason to have a chip on his shoulder.i gurantee he signs with a team with a coach that doesnt hold grudges, and produces. devin thomas>>>>>>>anthony armstrong, devin thomas>>>>>>>>>>>>roydell williams, devin thomas>>>>>>>>>>>>>joey galloway

Posted by: skinsfan215 | October 11, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse