Devin Thomas: 'I just really don't know what's going on'

Wide receiver Devin Thomas has tried to remain upbeat and focused despite being buried on the Redskins' depth chart.

But it has become increasingly difficult for Thomas, the Redskins' first pick in the 2008 draft, to put on a happy face, especially after a report this week that the team wants to get rid of him.

"With the rumors coming out about this, I, I mean ... I just really don't know what's going on," Thomas said Wednesday before practice at Redskins Park. "But whether it's here or somewhere else, I'm going to keep pushing to be a main contributor and play. I'm going to keep doing what I got to do, because I know I can play this game."

Thomas is sixth in the NFL with a 28.0-yard kickoff average. Last season against the New Orleans Saints, the eventual Super Bowl champions, Thomas had seven receptions for 100 yards and two touchdowns.

The former Michigan State standout, however, has failed to impress Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. With his name being mentioned in trade speculation, Thomas said he plans to address the situation with the Shanahans "just to get the standpoint from them about exactly what they want and kind of what's going on ... if it's not too late. I mean, you never know.

"But all I can really do is just keep doing what I'm doing, and that's just trying to handle my business. I'm studying and doing everything I have to do to know the opponent. And I'm going out there every day with the mentality like I'm going to get a chance, but it's still just been limited to special teams. I really don't know what else to do but keep working hard and hoping it happens. But I know I can play."

By Jason Reid  | October 6, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign Javarris James to practice squad
Next: Statistical analysis: Playing with the lead

Comments

DT should ask AH how to handle the situation.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 6, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

It's so sad when reality finally hits them in the face like a cold mackerel.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 6, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

'I just really don't know what's going on'

Isn’t that what Towelie says?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking at this DT situataion differently then most, I think they are going to unleash a very hungry and motivated DT on the league if not this week then next week.

He is chomping at the bit to play and I don't think that was true before this year.

I think DT felt he should play just because he was a 2nd round pick, and now he knows better then that. He now knows when he gets his chance he better shine or it's back to the bench.

I will post this again when proven right in a few weeks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I feel like DT11 is getting to the point of becoming the underdog. I used to view him as a player who wastes his own talents and looked down upon him because of it.

Now I'm rooting for him like I would for a lesser talented player who refuses to quit. I hope he gets his 'chance' on the field. Then I hope he seizes it.

I'm pulling for you, DT11.

Posted by: psps23 | October 6, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas: 'I just really don't know what's going on'

Wonder if that's the problem.

No secret that coach insists that players come prepared to play.

However, have heard it rumored on numerous occasions that DT seems to have a hard time understanding and digesting the playbook -- or executing his role in the scheme. And then when that lack of preparation inevitably shows itself on the practice field... the coach moves on to someone (anyone) else who will come in prepared to play.

Could it be that DT well and truly "don't know what's going on?"

Posted by: Vic1 | October 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Throw your 1's up!!!

It took him this long to realize he needs to talk to the Shannies and find out what he needs to be doing. He should have been asking them that question every single day since they got here.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas: 'I just really don't know what's going on'

I have to agree with this kid.

I mean, who believes that the paltry production we get from RWilliams and JGalloway is somehow better than what Thomas might deliver?

I think it'll take a moment of clarity, a moment where it becomes apparent the offense is hamstrung by the mediocrity opposite Moss before things change for Thomas.

Until then, he should bide his time, practice, and hope to find a way to get on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 2:44 PM

Your prediction only counts if this epiphany happens with the Redskins, right?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DT can play and maybe he can't. I don't have much respect for the collective evaluative talents of the REDSKINS organization. After all they let 'TD' MARKO MITCHELL loose, so how good can they be?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Reid: "We're here at Redskins park where we have decided to ask some of Devin Thomas' team mates exactly what is going on. First up is Carlos Rogers. Carlos, what do you think about this thing?"

Carlos: "Well, this thing came up on Devin like a double move. There ain't nuthin' you can do 'bout dat."

Reid: "Thank you Carlos. Now, here's a guy we all want to hear from. Clinton Portis, can you tell us what is going on with Devin?"

Portis: "Man, when you see something like this coming you just have to take the dive and protect the ball. Coach says protect the ball over gaining yards, so that's what I'm gonna do. Devin just has to protect his balls in this."

Reid: "Riiiight. Still recovering from that concussion, I see, Clinton."

Portis: "What concussion?"

Reid: "Okay, next up we have Albet Haynesworth. Albert, as you all know, is a pro-bowl player who is continually being put down by the man Shanahan and is proof positive that the Redskins are a shoddy operation. Albert, can you tell us about the DT situation?"

Haynesworth: "I been tellin' Devin that he shouldn't have come to those offseason workouts. Now they are fixing to trade him and what did all of those workouts get for him?"

Reid: "Word. Albert you are the man. Do you mind if I drop a few more lines about you on tomorrow's posting?"

Haynesworth: "No, man, go right ahead. You know I just love the stuff you write about me."

Reid: "I'll see you at the Pure Platinum on Friday night, then, okay?"

Haynesworth: "You got it, man."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Your prediction only counts if this epiphany happens with the Redskins, right?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2010 2:48 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

DT11 brings energy to the field. If he can harness it into solid route running and ball security, he could be a serious threat...

IF...

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

flound/psp, co-sign...

post from an obviously menstrating hessone coming in 5...4...3..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas: 'I just really don't know what's going on'

so ... status quo?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"The former Michigan State standout, however, has failed to impress Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"You're right about that...six hours between posts in the morning will do that to a thread...I'm thinking RI must be very busy working on a scoop...we are in for a doozy this afternoon I bet!"

Posted by: PlayAction | October 6, 2010 12:42 PM

Yeah, like how much McNabb's cousin's uncle's grandson's best friend is looking forward to the Packers game . . . I guess I shouldn't be too critical of RI. I mean, they did report the James signing only A FEW HOURS AFTER it was first mentioned in the comments section. I swear, I go to the reader comments for the latest team news more than I go to the actual blog entries themselves.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Alas, and alack, 'TD' MM has been released by the EDMONTON ESKIMOS (Oct. 5) 2 receptions, 77 total yards, 1 TD.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 6, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2010 2:56 PM |

I'll take this offense over Gibbs 2.0 and Zorn any day.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I will post this again when proven right in a few weeks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 2:44 PM
-------------------------------------------
I think they're going to unleash him alright - unleash him from his contract and put his butt on the street. It will probably happen this week when they bring Keiland Williams up to the regular roster. Chad Simpson will return kicks and get spot duty at running back.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 6, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@Flounder...

It certainly would fit Shanahan's MO. I've seen him do it many times in Denver.

I hope you are right but I am not holding my breath.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 6, 2010 2:50 PM

Marko is available again... he was released by the Edmonton Eskimos on Tuesday. He started 2 games for them and had 2 catches for 77 yards and a TD.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"who in turn have failed to impress anyone with how the offense is being run....just sayin.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse"

Woah, speak for yourself there. This offense is 100x better than anything we've seen in the last year and a half.

Posted by: psps23 | October 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Earth to Devin... They want consistency in practice. Run every route with precision on every play. Block hard on every running play. Every time. Don't drop balls that hit your hands. Show you are reliable on every play and you'll play.

Posted by: WallyG3 | October 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"..........I'll take this offense over Gibbs 2.0 and Zorn any day............" flounder

And I'll take the QB this offense had over those two also. All the difference in the world between SOUP and McNABB.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Rich_Campbell

Shanahan: Portis's groin was separated from the bone. less than 20 seconds ago via twidroid

YE-OUCH!

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

john_keim

Shanahan on trent: he was limited; "he's not there yet." #redskins 1 minute ago via Mobile Web

This does not jibe with with TDub told the media earlier.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

4-6 weeks for CP...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 6, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

YE-OUCH!

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2010 3:02 PM |

Hearts me just thinking about it!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

psp/flound, so great its better than Zorn with Jason Campbell at the qb spot, and a playing not to lose Joe Gibbs...I was hoping for SO much more...this offense actually reminds me of a combination of the 2.....just puked in my mouth at that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Rich_Campbell

Shanahan: Portis out 4-6 weeks with a third degree groin separation. No surgery required. 6 minutes ago via twidroid

# Rich_Campbell

Trent Williams says he was not limited in practice and that he definitely expects to play. #Redskins 22 minutes ago via twidroid

# John Keim john_keim

T. Williams said he feels "10 times" better than last week. #redskins 23 minutes ago via Mobile Web

# John Keim john_keim

T. Williams said he's "very confident" he will play. #redskins 23 minutes ago via Mobile Web

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people here like to dog Gibbs 2.0.

Chew on this: Gibbs 2.0, coming after Spurrier, won just as many playoff games--in 4 years--as Shanahan did in 10 YEARS of continuity after Elway.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 6, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

See the RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH says PORTIS' days as a REDSKIN are almost over. Better say thank you now; all those great blocks on charging d-linemen are going to be missed. Your body's paid the price CLINTON, and we appreciate it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 6, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2010 3:06 PM |

Dude it's four games in with a new QB and a new scheme, give it a little time to gel. The running game looks to be coming along that will help the offense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like he is not even getting the opportunity to practice the route running, catching or anything, but specials...how do you get better without practicing it. I wonder if any of the qb's could pull him aside after practice and throw balls and work on route running or IF DT11 has no effort in trying that route either?

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 6, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I am hoping Flounder is right as well. This whole thing reeks as one of Shanny's more bizarro plans. Maybe DT is cocky and dyslexic, but he seems to say the right things. I think this mystery will be solved in the next two weeks either way.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 6, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people here like to dog Gibbs 2.0.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 6, 2010 3:07 PM |

I;m not saying Gibbs 2.0 didn't do a great job with what he had I'm just saying the offense wasn't that good.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with this kid.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse
_______

Co-sign this. I fail to see how DT doesn't offer more than RWilliams and Galloway, given that they've basically produced close to nothing so far.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | October 6, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

4-6 weeks for CP...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 6, 2010 3:05 PM
------------------------------------------
Will Shanahan put him on IR? If he does, that will probably be it for CP. The risk here is CP hasn't been a particularly quick healer in the past, so when they say 4-6, it could really be 4-10, which is basically the end of the season.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 6, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people here like to dog Gibbs 2.0.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 6, 2010 3:07 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse
_____________________

The Vinny Cerrato stink corrupted the entire organization, even during the Gibbs 2.0 years. Gibbs was really hamstrung by going from an all-time great GM like Bobby Beathard to one of the all-time worst in Cerrato. I think he did the best he could given the circumstances, but he flat-out didn't have the talent to field a great team.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | October 6, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I am just remembering the people who felt that JC was going to light-up the league and show the Skins what a mistake it was to let him go, I wonder if they are the same people who felt Marco Mitchell was going to be a star and would return and burn the Skins? Hmmm! Could they be the same people who think that the coaches don't know much for not playing DT?

Posted by: hock1 | October 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

If you look around the league, there are some rookie WR's contributing for other teams. It's a shame that the Shannies can't seem to find a way to give DT, a second round pick a chance.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | October 6, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Did you think DT was performing worse than Galloway and Williams when you were able to see all of them at practice/camp?

Something just seems odd about this to me.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 6, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas = James Thrash If he dedicates himself he should be able to have a productive career as a special teams player

Posted by: coparker5 | October 6, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'll take this offense over Gibbs 2.0 and Zorn any day.
______________________________

Is it the offense or the personnel that's better? Jason Campbell was obviously one of the problems. The line seems to be a bit better this year (definitely younger). I do approve of the professional approach to team management.

However, i'm not sold on the coaching yet. DT 11 had several good games last year and now he's bench for Roydell Williams, Joey Galloway, and Brandon Banks?

I'm feeling the Shanny Attitude problem may have caused his ouster in Denver.

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | October 6, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

First off, a guy never deserves a chance just because he's a second round pick. He must outplay and outwork the guys he's competing with.

Second, DT11 is at the crossroads of his entire career. What he needs to do instead of shaking his head and keep on doing the same things that got him to this spot is go to the Shannys and tell them he wants to be a player and is willing to do whatever it takes to become that, ask them what he can do to become that player, and then do whatever they say twice as hard as the next guy. His problem is clearly not a lack of talent, it's between the ears, so it can be fixed.

I see that some fans and some players still can't shake the looser mentality.

Posted by: Jason10 | October 6, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 6, 2010 3:15 PM

I don't follow where this theory of CP healing slowly comes from. I seem to recall his 5 game run to get Gibbs in the playoffs came after he bounced back quickly from a high ankle sprain and I clearly remember the way he recovered quickly from the Polamalu hit that looked awful on Monday Night in Zorn's first season.

Are people just upset that he did not come back quickly from a concussion?

Posted by: SportzWiz | October 6, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 6, 2010 3:15 PM

Are people just upset that he did not come back quickly from a concussion?

Posted by: SportzWiz | October 6, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Gotta believe that Thomas is a better blocker than Galloway/Williams - he should get in on some running plays, if nothing else, to throw some downfield blocks. Might even open up some play-action passes if teams start assuming "run" once they see Thomas on the field.

Posted by: coparker5 | October 6, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

maybe dt11 should have a conversation with the coaches and find out what is going on!!!

"i don't know" is not answer...

he should also learn how to run a route...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 6, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Shanahan won't play DT because didn't want Fantasia to win her season of American Idol.

But seriously, I heard that although DT's practice habits have greatly improved, the coaches are still not happy with the precision of his routes.

It's all about the little things. The angle of Thomas' cuts and the depth he is getting are still interfering with the routes run around him. Problem is that veterans and less explosive runners (read Williams) have an easier time measuring their steps just right.

Posted by: SportzWiz | October 6, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Devin: the next time the coach wants a kiss, dont reject him !!!

Posted by: US-conscience | October 6, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

galloway and r. williams: are they running every route to perfection in practice? are they throwing down field blocks on DB's to perfection? are they catching everything thrown to them? If the answer is yes to all of the above why is that NOT happening in the games? I don't trust shanahan he is the same guy that passed up on terell owens this year after mcnabb mentioned that he would have no problem playing with him again owens in his last game has more catches and yards than galloway and r. williams their entire 4 games. play the young players thomas, armstrong,banks and austin and see what you have there. galloway and r. willams have already proven themselves as washed up.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 6, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

The only time the offense looked alive last year was when Devin was healthy and playing. Poor route running and the fear of a pick must really be the issue here. Even Albert is starting to get playtime with the worst attitude in the history of professional sports. I really thought Marko had the most potential and they let him go for poor routes. The most baffling thing is how they protect always injured Malcolm Kelly and he looks so awkward catching the ball (or dropping the ball). The fades in the end zone to him over the years are a waste of time. I've never seen a receiver with poorer body control.

Posted by: gammaguru | October 7, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

When you run a route, you have to end up where the ball is going to be. 30 second conversation. Learn the routes... catch the ball.

Posted by: cowbell | October 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

route running mechanics notwithstanding, some of the responsibility is on the qb to see what the receiver is doing; a db may have closed down option a or b. in either case, let devin just go long and shade to the open area. THAT should be the play and mcnabb should read him to do that. speed compensates for precision more often than not.

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 7, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse