Devin Thomas is staying optimistic

Wide receiver Devin Thomas has remained optimistic despite being listed as the third-string X receiver, or split end, on the opening depth chart.

The third-year player had 64 yards on three receptions and teamed with backup quarterback Rex Grossman on a 44-yard touchdown in the Redskins' 42-17 victory over the Buffalo Bills. Thomas also muffed the opening kickoff, but his performance was positive overall.

Coach Mike Shanahan has pushed Thomas to raise his level of play, and that's fine with Thomas.

"I feel like Coach Shanahan ... he's definitely going to be the key to my success of just growing and showing my potential," Thomas said. "His attitude is just what I need. I feel like he's the mentor I need and he's on me everyday.

"I think he's on me for a reason, because he knows what I'm capable of doing. I don't take it harshly with me being on third-string. He just wants me to work hard. At the end of the day, we'll see what happens."

By Jason Reid  |  August 16, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan stays focused on the big picture
Next: Darrel Young adjusting to new position

Comments

i forgot to give kudos to Darrell Young.. nice kick out block on one run and a couple other good looking lead blocking efforts..

Posted by: iseyij | August 16, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I would be first.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

please cut this fool and let him go make music videos

Posted by: BMACattack | August 16, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iseyij | August 16, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

...and a blatant block in the back that wasn't called on Banks' punt return.

I still don't know how that didn't get called.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 16, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping DT plays as good a game as talks...not arbitrarily jumping up for kick returns would be a welcome start...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Keep telling yourself that Devin...if you played 1/3 as well as you yap you'd have justified your draft position by now.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 16, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

He muffed a kickoff and then was productive against a bunch of scrubs on the Buffalo team that probably won't be there int he regular season. I wouldn't call that "positive overall". Here's the deal: DT is inconsistent and an inconsistent wide receiver can drive coaches crazy. Everyone is waiting for him to put it all together, but maybe this guy just can't. I like more what I saw out of Armstrong, Austin and Banks on Friday night than I liked from DT and they haven't been around as long as DT. I am moving to the "cut Dt and MK" camp. We don't need guys who stay injured and guys who can't keep their heads in the game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 16, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I thought D-MC looked okay considering it was Buffalo. Our O-line looked average. As soon as I saw the reverse on the second play I thought I was watching the skins from years past. We gave up too many rush yards and Carter didn't look great.

I did like Sexy Rexy's comfort with the system and feel really good about him as a backup because I don't think D-Mc is going to play ALL 16 games and "hopefully" more.

Given the fact that pre-season is not going to be the 'unveiling' of the Redskins' full offense, it was a good start.

Also, glad no one got hurt.

On a side note, I am not going to take a dump on Haney even though he should have owned the second-team linemen. At least he was playing and taking on 2 dudes per play. THAT'S what I need to see him doing. That and just getting in reps. I really do think that he's going to be mad and fit for Dallas....a bad combination for Tony Homo.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

This inconsistent talk was also said about Sidney Rice and Roddy White ocming into their third year. He showed a lot of flashes last year and he he caught that bomb this week. He is the ideal WR in terms of athleticism. Lets see what he does this year first.

Posted by: merajc86 | August 16, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

It's only preaseason, but it's nice to finally be the team where you have to temper expectations, as opposed to shrug off the fact that you looked like crap b/c it's only preseason.

Say what you want about the Bills, but I don't think a Zorn-coached team could put up 42 points in a preseason game if they were playing against holograms.

Anywho...

*Devin Thomas - Definitely needs to step it up. The stats are deceiving. He muffed a kickoff and dropped a pass in the redzone the play before Davis caught TD. He didn;t do anything on the long TD except run free through some busted coverage. He did nothing to change the opinion of him going into this game - athletic, lots of potential, inconsistent. Shanny is the kind of coach - I think - that would prefer to go with a less talented/more consistent guy.

*Brandon Banks - Dude is just fast. I hope we find a spot for him. He just hit the corner and outran everyone on the sideline. The punt coverage on his return didn;t look too solid, but the if you have a guy like Banks, then you can punish the other team when they give you an opening like that. Randle El would have looked at the same punt, run sideways for 10 yards and gone out of bounds.

DeAngelo Hall - I'm looking forward to seeing ALOT more of that this season. That's what an attacking-blitz-oriented scheme will do, and it was Carriker that got in Edwards' face. If/when AH can ramped up on the right side and Carriker can play like that on the left, this defense can be beastly when the QB drops back.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I still got faith in the dude...let's see what he does

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@rachel216 (and all other haters)

Scared isn't the right emotion. PITY is what I feel for y'all. You buggers are downright blind fools, wholly incapable of seeing what's right in front of you.

As far as the Cowboys offense, we're a known quantity. We know we can win at least 11 games because we did it last year and our personnel is actually better this year. Can Deadskins fans say the same? NO!! We are Super Bowl favorites for a reason - we EARNED it.

Anyhoo, this DI board should come with windows so y'all can air this thing out. P.U.!

See ya.

Hell To The Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow...maybe the Dall-ass fans that come up here can enjoy this video:

Nothing like calling Al Michaels "Mike" and then refering to "the state of Dallas"...why oh why did ESPN ever let this guy get away?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@rachel216 (and all other haters)

See ya.

Hell To The Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 16, 2010 9:29 AM |

Dude, your life must really suck balls to have to wake up and start H8'ing so early.

Go put on your blue star ointment (for jock itch) and rope yourself some queers you loser.

I love the you don the handle of a crack-head, hooker-addicted jerome.

Priceless.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

See ya.

Hell To The Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Buffalo starters outplayed us?

How in the f_ck do you figure that?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

repost..

-- 9:05 a.m. ET

Sellers’ Versatility

During Sunday’s practice, Mike Sellers saw some action lining up as a tight end in 11-on-11 work.

On Monday, Sellers was working with the tight ends in blocking drills, as tweeted by Redskins.com’s Larry Weisman.

Back in 2004, Sellers played an H-back role – a hybrid tight end and fullback – in Joe Gibbs’ offense. He moved to more of a traditional fullback role in 2006 and has stayed there ever since.

With Sellers getting some reps with the tight ends, it’s another example of his remarkable versatility. He is listed at 6-3 and 272 pounds.

___________________________________________

This is interesting in that this was the role most thought Dennis Morris may have filled. Darrel Young had a good game at FB on Friday, maybe they give him some time with the first team on Saturday.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Anyone following camp tweets? Sounds like OFF/ST have combined for like 5 fumbles this AM....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 16, 2010 9:18 AM

Dude, I'm with you on MK...he's a lost cause and can't stay healthy enough to practice consistently, let alone play. Unless he gets 20 catches Saturday night, I doubt he makes it past the first round of cuts. However, with DT you have to give him every chance to work out and I'd be stunned if he doesn't make the team--if for no other reason, he can play WR and special teams on a squad that desperately needs return help.

Bottom line: DT gets at least 2010 to show his stuff. Without a strong showing, he'll be gone in 2011.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Our guys got outplayed by Buffalo? Didn't the Cows get slapped around by the Jokeland Stoners?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"... but running backs were breaking through and running seven yards or more before the safeties were coming up to put a hit on them..."

It looks like misdirection based running plays and counters will be the bane of this defense.

You're right to say the 'backers should commit too soon to a blitz look--that's what caused them to be out of place on a couple of the nice running plays the bills pulled off.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 8:22 AM
------------------------------------------
Yep. I saw London Fletcher arc back from the line of scrimmage in run support but he was a step too late. It dawned on me that Fletch isn't used to playing that close to the line of scrimmage and his angle was wrong. Blache sometimes had him lining up ten yards back, so it seems like this is an adjustment for London as well.

The good news is the blitz is definitely there and I know Haslett was really using some pretty vanilla blitzes. They didn't get the sacks, but they consistently put pressure on the QB and Carriker's stalking of Edwards directly led to the Hall interception.

As a side note, did anyone besides me notice the size of the Bills' receivers? I think the Redskins smaller corners did okay against them, but I have receiver envy today. Wouldn't mind having that kid Nelson on our side...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 16, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I always thought that Dennis Morris pick was a head-scratcher. We'd had just brought in Sean Ryan, and still had Mike Sellers in the fold - not to mention Cooley who played alot of H-back earlier in his career.

It's SOP to use a pick on a TE for this team...

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 16, 2010 9:29 AM |

Known quantity? Yes, you're known to choke away more big games than you can win. You're known to have a QB who costs his team wins. You're known to have a coach who makes Jed Clampett look like a Nobel Prize winner for astrophysics.

Lastly, you're making a fool of yourself for saying that you "EARNED" the right to be a SB favorite. I guess congratulations are in order. Dallas is often a "FAVORITE" and they more often choke like your mother does with my dong in her mouth.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

ih8, NPI...seriously guys, ITA. For the love of God ITA...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 9:37 AM |

That was a coffee-spitter. Thanks. Anyone have a paper towel?

HAHHA

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I also like the apology-

"I rambled on for 24 minutes and forgot to mention the University of Florida - my bad."

I can't believe this tool used to get paid to do public speaking.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't like all the DT bashing I'm reading. He was good not great Friday.

Positives

1. TD route sold the corner against Eugene Wilson and Reggie Corner. Both are vet and have had starting experience. Corner played first string cornerback for the Bills Friday, and was playing second team FS when DT beat him.

2. Third down hitch route. Sold a deeper route, broke it off for 9 yards on a 3rd and seven.

3. Block on Banks TD return. Devin blocked two guys on that play, which sprung Banks.

Negatives

Devin's concentration. Muffed KO ... c'mon
Devin's hands. FBO had % of catches made when a WR was the target. Devin was in the 50s, he should be near 70%.

Devin wasn't perfect, but he wasn't horrible either.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Sept. 12th Devin Thomas will start across from Santana. He has more upside than MK12. He can be a deep threat. I think the biggest thing that has hurt him is, JC17 wasn't giving him many chances. The only time he threw the ball to him was agianst third and 4th string DBs agianst the Saints. Every other time JC17 was leading DT11 out of bounds on deep routes.

One thing I think goes unnoticed is how good a blocker he is. I think he is our best blocking WR. On offense he blocks well on outside runs...As well as on PR's, he blocks the outside defenders very well. If you go back and look at Bradon Banks TD, it was Devin who sealed off the edge.

I think Donovan McNabb can give the Farve/Sidney Rice effect on DT11. But in one of these preseason games, I want to see him on the field with McNabb.

Posted by: roccoskins | August 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 16, 2010 9:18 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:36 AM
-----------------------------------------
When your primary value to the team is returning kicks and you muff your first return, I am thinking that does not bode well. This guy is inconsistent and from the previous regime: two strikes against him. When you factor in Shanahan's benign comments about the guy, I think he's on the edge. He needs to show up big for the rest of the preseason.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 16, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

NO!! We are Super Bowl favorites for a reason - we EARNED it...

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 16, 2010 9:29 AM |

I could profess my hate for the 'girls for the rest of my life and never sum up their perennial failure to win a championship better than that.

Well done, MrIrvin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 16, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

It's SOP to use a pick on a TE for this team...

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:39 AM

Me too...but I thought the idea was he was to be the heir apparent to Sellers at the FB/TE spot (nobody else is really filling that role right now). Not a terrible idea trying to get a young alternative to a 35 year-old FB, but when you have as few picks as the Skins had it's kind of a waste for the here and now.

And again people...ITA the Cowdungs fans. I mean, "known quantity"? You're better off talking to Emmitt...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Devin wasn't perfect, but he wasn't horrible either.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone said "horrible". I think the criticism is "inconsistent".

Under Zorn you could be as inconsistent as you wanted with no ramifications. I don't think Shanny will give so much leash. DT is not a Shanny draft pick, and he wants guys that will get the job done.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

My .02, if we're hearing sexy Rexy to Devin Thomas during the season its a big problem. IMO when it counted Devin had two muffed kicks and a drop after having been unimpressive to coaches all camp. Meanwhile Armstrong scored a TD, and R. Williams had a sweet catch and run gain up the sideline after supposedly having impressed coaches all through camp.

Prediction - we keep 6 receivers: Moss, Williams, Armstrong, Thomas, Galloway, and Banks and that Thomas will see limited time this year unless there are injuries.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

...and a blatant block in the back that wasn't called on Banks' punt return.

I still don't know how that didn't get called.

oe, that was SO VERY BLATANT...and it was #30 who did it....Don't know how it was missed.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe this tool used to get paid to do public speaking.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:43 AM

He didn't. He got paid to be a figurehead on a network that values name recognition and pizazz (sp?) over actually being good at analyzing the game of football. When Emmitt was hired, you needed only wear a star on your helmet for a couple years and people had to have heard of you. That's it. That's his qualifications (and Keyshawn's to boot).

RSH, bottom line is DT has to be just alright to make the team. It's not "starter or bust" like MK. DT has special teams value and the lack of depth at WR will basically ensure he's here for 2010 at least. The only way he doesn't make the team is if he proves himself to be a liability...and as long as he doesn't try anymore leaping kick returns, he won't be.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

BTW, for the record. If the state of California does legalize it, I may make Oakland my AFC team just for that reason.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Guys, I don't see Malcolm Kelly making it. The guy didn't practice yesterday, and he won't be practicing until tomorrow or Wednesday. This hamstring injury is nagging, and he has done zilch.

Devin just needs to show his consistency in the next three games. If he hadn't muffed that kickoff, even with one dropped pass, we would be praising his performance. He needs a game or two of no mistakes.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 16, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Sounds about right.

Thomas will make the roster b/c he can give something on ST, but he's not going to be a starting WR and will have to seriously fight his way up the chart.

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I guess I don't understand the preoccupation with Devin Thomas being a 2nd round pick. At this point, what does it matter? He's in his third season, has played very little, and the considerations for a GM have to be 1) potential impact on the field, and 2) how much they have to pay him. Be foolish for a GM to hold the previous season against the guy when nobody on the offense performed well. No WR gets a lot of opportunities in the preseason, either.

Like everyone else on the team, he's got a new scheme and a new coaching staff to please. Vinny's gone, and took his drafting record with him. Thomas will make it (or won't) based not on what he did his first two seasons, but on what Mike Shanahan thinks he can do for the team right now.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you don't keep DT on returns at all. Like Brian Mitchel says. Punt Returner and Kick Returner needed to be a full time position.

I say that the roster needs to be expanded by 1 player for that official position, with its own unique numbering system and everything.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 16, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Especially since the other WRs played alright, Kelly's situation is looking more and more desperate. I could imagine a glimmer of hope for him if the other WRs had crapped out on Friday.

But at this point, I think there's got to be a serious concern regarding Kelly's toughness/ability to stay healthy. 3 years in the league, and the guy's legs are apparently made of paper-mache.

Some folks keep talking about "giving him a chance", but if you can't stay/get healthy enough to even have a chance, then too bad. It's not like they are playing 2-hand touch out there...

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"That's why you bring some notes up, you donkey, instead of winging it on the spot.

I can't believe this tool used to get paid to do public speaking.

Posted by: p1funk"

Actually not true at all, its worse. He paid a speech writer to write the speech. It was fully 100% scripted and he had notes. Epic Fail as the tweens say.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 16, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 9:48 AM

I see DT as a Devery Henderson type of player. HE's got the coaching from the SHanny's and Keenan to improve in his concentration. If re-watch the game and watch his routes, he really ran good routes.

zjfr2 that the list I have at WR. However, something tells me that either Williams or Galloway won;t be on the team, and either Austin or Kelly would take the final spot.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 16, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I say give him a chance on the trading block for a 7th round pick.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Check the video of Brandon Banks' punt return and see who threw the block that sprung him:

When you depend on the news media for your understanding of how a player is doing, and realize that they rarely mention "boring" details like blocking, you don't see a lot of the things the coaches use to make their decisions. That block, thrown by Devin Thomas by the way, will definitely be seen by the people making the decisions.

Posted by: Rational_Man | August 16, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't like all the DT bashing I'm reading. He was good not great Friday.

Positives

Negatives

Devin's concentration. Muffed KO ... c'mon

Devin wasn't perfect, but he wasn't horrible either.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

----

I agree 100%. Thomas had his poor moments (obviously the miffed kickoff and his dropped pass), but by and large he was much better than average on Friday. His route against Corner and Wilson was top-notch, and exactly what has been missing from him his last two seasons (both of whom are former first-stringers and will play significantly for Buffalo). That was simply a great, great play by Thomas. I haven't seen a Redskin shake a coverage like that since Santana Moss did it against Terence Newman early in 2008.

Hopefully Thomas can continue to give us plays like that. I don't even care if he wins the #2 job; if he can become a big play threat every once in a while (say once a game - a Devery Henderson-type player) then that will significantly help this offense keep the defense honest, even if he doesn't become an every down possession receiver.

Posted by: psps23 | August 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Why would you keep both Armstrong and Banks?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 16, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Its so cute, some of you defending DT/MK with every last breath....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 16, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

wow....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 16, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"I see DT as a Devery Henderson type of player.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse"

Looks like you got the DT-DH comparison first. Nice touch.

Posted by: psps23 | August 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"If [DT] can become a big play threat every once in a while (say once a game - a Devery Henderson-type player) then that will significantly help this offense keep the defense honest, even if he doesn't become an every down possession receiver.Posted by: psps23"

Seems that way to me. Even in college, he wasn't a consistent receiver. Would take his mind off the ball, turn the wrong way, drop an easy one -- that sort of mistake. Yet when you checked back at the end of the game, he'd made at least one big play and often more.

And of course, the defense has to prepare for that sort of threat, which opens up lanes for the others.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 16, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Also, outside of Moss, who else on the Skins WR roster qualifies as a legit threat to take it all the way? The only candidates are smaller guys.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 16, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

mrirvin: You are just a moron. I still think you're scared and you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling us what went wrong against Buffalo.

"We are Super Bowl favorites for a reason - we EARNED it."

-mrirvin

That's why it's all the better when you guys fail to live up to it every year. :) Can't wait to see how you all fail this year! It's gonna be so funny!!!!!!!!!

and "y'all?"

Jesus Christ.

Posted by: rachel216

"Like I said, your starters were outplayed by Buffalo. Long on spunk and short on facts. Typical Cadaver fan."

So preseason means everything in the world then, right? If you're putting this much stock into the season, then you gotta evaluate YOUR team based on the preseason as well... that means you guys are really going to suck since your first team can't even get the ball into the endzone!!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I just don't see them keeping more than one of the AARP aged WR's on the roster.

If I had to guess at the six.
1. Moss
2. an AARP age guy
3. Thomas
4. One of the younger guys brought into camp
5. One of the younger guys brought into camp or Kelly gets healthy and stays on.
6. PR/KR specialist.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

mrirvin: Yes we are all haters... maybe it's because this is a Redskins blog and we are all Redskins fans... you are the one starting all this dumbsh**.

Trust me, just worry about your OWN team... you don't need to worry about us. But you do seem obsessed with us though..maybe deep down inside you love the Redskins. You just can't seem to stop talking about the 'Skins.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Am I missing something? Was there some new bit of news posted in this blog that is different from the last post about Devin Thomas and his performance Friday night?

Posted by: jva1 | August 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 9:37 AM |

Honestly, who cares about DT. He can play and he can stretch the field pretty well. Everyone knows that D-Mc is going to get the ball to Cooley and Sleepy at least 50 times each this year - especially in the red zone and on 3rd and shorts. 'Tana still has wheels and good hands and is healthy this year and runs that inside WR screen very well because he is so small he kind of gets lost in the wash.

I am focusing more on the line play. Isn't that more of a concern? Great teams are built inside-out....not the other way around.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Oops, I accidentally pasted you in there Alex - my bust.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Oops, I accidentally pasted you in there Alex - my bust.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

You did have me a bit confused.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

redtards fans are so...retarded!
spurrier scored a ton of points in the preseason in his first year. how'd the season turn out? lmao!!!! here's a hint: pay attention to the starters when you watch preseason ball. donovan mcscabb looked awful and clinton bore-us was slower than i've ever seen him. done. get ready for the beatdown on 9/12/10.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 16, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"I always thought that Dennis Morris pick was a head-scratcher."

In hindsight, we needed whatever was the best avaialiable linebacker.

I really don't like the idea of AC and LA being converted from linemen to upright defenders who must cover.

Whither Henson, Gatewood, and Riley?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Yes that was the worst TD pass I have ever seen by McNabb, meanwhile Tonny Romo took those sacks like a MVP.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

10peterbilt: okay... look at the starters.

Redskins' McNabb throws TD.

Tony Romo fails to lead his team to a TD in not one... but two games. One against the Raiders. :)

So according to you, Redskins are better than the Cowboys. Seriously, losers, you're obsessed with the Redskins. You and mrirvin have no life!!! I really feel sorry for you both. You probably have no friends, that's why you want attention.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

rachel, you just gotta stop feeding the trolls...the more you argue with this clown the dumber he gets and the more outlandish the comments. We've all tried our hands at this idiot over the course of the last few days and nobody is any smarter for it. Cut your losses and move along.

Alex, the only AARP guy we have is Galloway...Moss is the only other guy over 30, so I'm not sure where you're going with the WR depth chart.

I see it shaking out like this:

Moss
DT/Galloway
Galloway/DT
Wade
Banks

Austin goes to practice squad, everyone else goes home. There's a chance Williams plays his way into either Wade or Galloway's spot, but it seems like this staff is pretty high on Galloway at this point.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rational_Man | August 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Yeah, I saw that block. He actually was able to take out two Bills. I'm sure Shanny saw that when reviewing the game film. In the end, I'd give him an above-average performance that had the potential of a great performance. I think the botched kickoff really highlighted the dropped pass he had. If he didn't botch the kickoff, the dropped pass wouldn't have seemed so bad.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Just wait til "team not named cowgirls" raises the Lombardi trophy in Texas stadium!! cowgirls fans are gonna be soooo bitter!! That's going to scar them for life.. seeing another team raise the trophy in their precious stadium.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I swear to God....Dallas fans are on the verge of un-seating Ravens fans as the most retarded bunch ever.

Did you even watch the game? McNabb was better than fine. He was able to run for at least one first down. He connected down field and was actually able to SCRAMBLE AND THEN MAKE A COMPLETION. Something we have been looking for over the last several years.

Portis was fine and considering LJ and Fast Willie didn't even play, I am not worried about our backfield at all.

Here's the thing, we have a legit coach and a winning, All Pro QB. Dallas has the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man and a Dooshbag, choke artist of a QB. I can't believe you're not sweating that combo at all.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Don't sleep on Roydell....comenack player of the year...Book it!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"here's a hint: pay attention to the starters when you watch preseason ball. donovan mcscabb looked awful and clinton bore-us was slower than i've ever seen him. done.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 16, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse"

Well if it isn't Mr. Bean reincarnated as a Cowboys fan.

Really, a Cowboy fan's idiocy speaks for itself. There's no reasonable retort to give them; they effectively make fun of themselves every time they open their mouth. They're a living satire on intelligence in the sports world.

No wonder they revere Emmit Smith.

Ah, can't wait for Sept. 12.

Posted by: psps23 | August 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Yesss!!!

10"peterpuffer is back!!!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Cowgirls fans are so dumb and homerish that they can't even make good judgement. Seriously, if you're watching that game and you're being objective, McNabb did just fine. But you're just too dumb to understand.

okay, brownwood26. :) I just had to add this last part.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Brownie,

I was throwing Furrey, Wade and Williams on my "AARP" list. Perhaps a bit unfairly, considering that 2 of them are only 2 years older then me.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Hi Hamsters!

Tried to post earlier but WaPo didn't like my spelling of Romo, I guess (insert "H" where appropriate).

I just can't get the clock to post on weekends, but what a great start to the season.

I'm not drinking kool-aid, but it was nice to see some consistency.

And even nicer to see that the CowPatties have yet to score an offensive TD. nyuk nyuk.

Hail!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

When is he gonna stop talking about what he "is capable of doing" and FREAKIN DO IT?

It year 3 Dude, anytime you're ready...

Posted by: edvar | August 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

10peterbilt/MrIrvin88

"...here's a hint: pay attention to the starters when you watch preseason ball."

Why not try paying attention to the blog for whatever team it is you're following, guy?

And keep up the fatmouthing: we all know that if Dallas loses to Washington on the 12th of Sept., you'll be absent from this forum.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:56 AM
------------------------------------------
This is his third year in the league. You would think "not jumping for a kick return" would have been in Danny Smith's "kick returner 101" class. I would like to see DT step up, but I am tired of seeing him do something positive and then turn around and do something negative. That kind of stuff epitomized the players in the last regime and I just can't see Shanny having anything to do with it. Look at other receivers that Shanahan has coached. He values consistency, and that is why he would take a chance on some of these veterans.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It year 3 Dude, anytime you're ready...

Posted by: edvar | August 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey you get 64 yards a game, like he did in pre-season game here, then you are gonna end up with just under 1000 yards for the year.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

DT dropped the first pass that was thrown to him...and it hit him in his hands.

If he gets cut, who cares.

Posted by: Rex91 | August 16, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

i told you redtards donovan mcdrabb is mike vick lite. that's why the iggles showed him the door. it's not good when a guy approaching his forties is still relying on his legs for first downs because he still can't read nfl defenses. lmao!! do you really think he'll make it off the field under his own power if he tries that stuff against the cowboys? better make sure that cart is gassed/charged up on 9/12/10. butterworth and donovan mcsloww are going to need it.

Posted by: 10peterbilt | August 16, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

RSH, go back and look at the first two seasons of guys like Vincent Jackson and Roddy White. If we're having this discussion next offseason, I'll already be in front of you in the line to get DT outta town. I'm just not concerned in Year 1 of a rebuilding (or reloading) process.

Alex, good call on Furrey...I forgot dude is even on the roster, which is probably a bad thing. But I'm pretty sure Wade and Roydell are under 30, so that's why you lost me.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

^deuchetard

Posted by: RedDMV | August 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd say there's close to 0% chance that Devin Thomas gets cut, barring injury. Behind Moss, he has the most "sure" spot on the WR roster, regardless of what the depth chart looks like right now. As much as Shanahan preaches that the best guy will play, he realizes the value of youth and potential in building a team into a consistent contender.

Besides, he's the only full-time special teamer on the depth chart. With his TD reception and his block on the Banks TD, Thomas all but sealed his roster spot this past weekend.

Posted by: psps23 | August 16, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Seems to be a lot of contention about our WRs. I think that by the end of 4 preseason games there will be a clear enough separation as to who the coaches want and who they cant use.

Also need to puts Banks in for KR and PR, he should be the #1 option for both from here on out, that kid has absurd speed. See if he can take punishment when he dosent break them for TDs though. If he can stay healthy and keep producing then he has a spot even if its solely as a return specialist.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 16, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

10peter is a dumba**

-----
McNabb can't read defenses? Romo can't read defenses... no wonder the Cowgirl's season always ends in a Romo INT.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

beep beep for Skins fans. Cowdungs fans should now begin boarding the short bus...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

can't believe some of you are arguing with a cowjerk fan. You don't argue with a 3 year old. You just put on a video.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 16, 2010 10:53 AM |

Seriously?

Do you really think he's gonna be playing against Buffalo's scrubs all season?

Posted by: edvar | August 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Too many people up here forget about Roydell Williams. I'm convinced he will be our #2 WR, #3 at worst. He proved in Tenn. that he can be a very good WR, and is at an age when he should be in the prime of his career. He has done nothing but impress in practice, and looked good in the game.

Things definately don't look good for Kelly. In order to make the team, he would have to prove that he is WAY better than some of the other guys. I can't picture him doing that. If it is any kind of close call, I don't think the coaches would chose to keep the oft-injured Kelly over someone who has been consistently healthy.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 16, 2010 11:05 AM

100% agreed. Kelly on the other is running out of time.

Posted by: TWISI | August 16, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Def. the best video EVER!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 16, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

DT reminds me of Michael Westbrook in that he 'looks' like he can Ball, but he doesn't produce.

Kelly had knee problems dating back to HS; if Vinny had just Google'd, he'd of seen THAT.

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 16, 2010 9:36 A
---------------------------
This sounds most plausible...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 16, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | August 16, 2010 9:44 AM
----------------------------------
Excellent point!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 16, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Thomas will make the team because there is really no one else. They are not going to cut Thomas and rely on Galloway. Galloway is about 100 years old now.

Production from the wrs will be mediocre at best. The running game will be ok. It will be an up and down year offensively. Will look good against bad teams and struggle against the good defenses.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 16, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

That vid never gets old. This one is pretty good, too:

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I agree in giving MK second and third chances but He stays hurt alot. I acutally think he's a better receiver than DT right now. Don't know if everybody saw the interview from Kenan McCardell on Redskins.com about MK. Basically he has unlimited potential but like everyone else I'm very frustrated with his injuries and I don't see anyway of Us(Redskins) keeping him.

Posted by: dbh30 | August 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's my list that's going to be cut soon.

Malcolm Kelly - he's never gonna be healthy

Rob Jackson #91 - He's gone

Andre Carter - I won't be surprise, he struggles as an OLB, plus Perry Riley seems to be our diamond in the rough with Brandon Banks I see both of them making the roster.

Posted by: datruth21 | August 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"Once a 38 year old dude is outplaying you at a speed/skill position, you're done."

This makes Hugh Hefner a god as he's way over 38, and is out playing with babes I can't even get on the field with.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 16, 2010 11:51 AM

Money changes everything. That's why guys like Popeye Jones and Sam Cassell and for that matter, Jay Schroeder can pull tail. If those dudes were broke, they'd make 4th floor look palatable.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 16, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Designer Tote Bags
Designer brands at discount prices.
Find out more at the www.welljordan.com

Posted by: howmalls | August 16, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse