Devin Thomas making progress, eager to do more

Wide receiver Devin Thomas was pleased with his progress in training camp, which ended Thursday, and is eager to earn a bigger role in the offense during the remainder of the preseason.

"I'm starting to get comfortable with what's going on around here as far as what the standard is," Thomas said. "And I'm starting to get comfortable with exactly what Coach [Mike Shanahan] wants us to do and what he wants out of me.

"I'm trying to be the best I can be for him, and at the same time I'm just trying to improve my play. I'm focusing on what I need to do. My body's starting to get in shape as far as football-wise. Each week, I'm feeling better and better."

Thomas is coming off a strong performance on offense (he muffed the game's opening kickoff return) in the 42-17 victory over the Buffalo Bills. The third-year player had three catches for 64 yards - including a 44-yard touchdown reception from backup quarterback Rex Grossman - and said he "should be out there a lot" Saturday night against the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field.

Thomas is making progress, quarterback Donovan McNabb said.

"He's done a great job," McNabb said. "I got a chance to work with him a little bit in Arizona [before training camp], and from what he's been able to do here you can tell he's starting to get comfortable.

"He's been able to make plays. He had a great first game and he and Rex made some plays. They moved the chains and got in the end zone. He's going to continue to progress."

But it's not only about the big plays, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said.

"We just want to see him being more consistent," Shanahan said. "He made some big plays for us last week. We expect him to continue to make those plays. We just want him to keep doing his job when it isn't the big plays."

Barring unforeseen developments, it would not be surprising if Thomas moves to the top of the depth chart at X receiver, or split end, and starts early in the season. The Redskins' best first-team unit should include Thomas.

By Jason Reid  |  August 20, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas , Donovan McNabb , Kyle Shanahan , Mike Shanahan , Redskins by Position , Rex Grossman , preseason games , training camp , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Calling all Redskins fans
Next: Starters will get more playing time against Ravens

Comments

Here's hoping DT makes a move onto the FIRST team...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Barring unforeseen developments, it would not be surprising if ...

heres a FIRST, what if writers stopped hoping for things and started watching what is going on the field - it WOULDNT be surprising to continue to see these underachieving receivers CONTINUE to underachieve. How many years does one have to "become comfortable" before they start getting open and catching a stupid ball that they have been "getting comfortable" doing since pee-wee days?!

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | August 20, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Is this thing on?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Redskins notes and analysis 8/18/10
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
08/19/10 7:53 PM EDT

10. No studs and duds today since they weren’t in full pads.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 6:31 AM

STUD

John Keim -- This guy shows up every day and puts in 110%. He understands his position, knows what the coaches are looking for, and never fails to deliver. When the final roster is assembled he should be on it.

DUD

Jason Reid -- He is to journalism what Albert Haynesworth is to football. He's lazy, out of shape, has a bad attitude, and is never around the ball. He's about the slowest in his field and if the story doesn't involve Haynesworth he won't touch it. Word is that he only keeps his job because he's the owner's lap poodle.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Shanny's DEPTH CHART works wonders on these guys! Now if we can just get 12 to play at a consistent high level!

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 20, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | August 20, 2010 7:13 AM

Are you serious with this? Football isn't this black and white...Thomas is a young player learning a new offense. He does need to form some level of comfort to perform at a starter level. Comparing this to pee-wee football is shortsighted at best--if not outright retarded.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

DUD

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Reid is in the wrong position, he writes decent articles, but the RI is in need of someone who knows the blogmosphere. Again, I'd like to nominate Steinberg for Mayor.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

LOL beep...well played.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:30 AM

STUD

brownwood26

DUD

SkinsSinceDayOne

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

We need DT in this offense... seriously he is the only guy over 6'0. Unless you have Shay Hodge as your sleeper in the sixth WR pool.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 20, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Will anyone talk to me about Marko Mitchell?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Will anyone talk to me about Marko Mitchell?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 7:44 AM |

Only if you'll talk Colt Brennan !

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Will anyone talk to me about Marko Mitchell?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 7:44 AM

That depends...do you know any UFL coaches?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

“I could see San Diego letting (VJAX)go,” the GM said.

And so, here is where we are: back, again, to a discussion about adding a receiver in his prime to a pass catching group that has, over time, been less than top notch.

Is Vincent Jackson (6'5" 230 lbs.) worth the picks, money, attention, and hope from the redskins?

The numbers:

Vincent Jackson (68 (catches) 1167 (yds) 17.2 (avg.) 9 (tds.)

VJAX is a top ten league receiver, and if he is added to the skins passing group would be an obvious upgrade.

Thing is, seeing what we do now in the young'ns Armstrong, Thomas, Banks, and Austin, you can argue that groomin' them up to starters might be a better option to adding Jackson, and then, as a bad consequence, groom down future draft considerations.

And the skins can still have an elite passing game featuring Moss, Cooley, Davis.

Would VJAX be that much of a difference?

Doubt it.

The skins need that 2nd rounder that would be spent to grab VJAX as even with the addition of J Brown and A Hicks, the o-line needs an elite draft addition on its right side.

Too, A Carter and L Alexander might show that they aren't efficient olbs, no matter how hard they try--and so, you need need to keep your picks.

Just say "Maybe" to VJAX.

And yes, to the 4 young'ns.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 7:31 AM

He's not in the wrong position: He's in the wrong field. In 2010 you can't be a one-trick pony: "I write decent articles, but that's all I do." And, the Post can get someone who can cover the Redskins with more than "decent" articles. Either Keim or the guy who covered the 'Skins for the Times would be better than "decent."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

“I could see San Diego letting (VJAX)go,” the GM said.

What GM is he referring to, or is this just made up, like a team source that asked to not be identified ?

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Just say "Maybe" to VJAX.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 7:50 AM

Good way to put it, Moe. I can see both sides of the coin and don't feel strongly about one scenario or the other. I'm just glad I'm not the one charged with that decision...

I can say this...if DT racks up a couple more TDs in the preseason, suddenly our fanbase will feel a lot better about NOT getting VJ.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 7:50 AM |

and so, you need need to keep your picks.

Co-sign to the max !

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 7:57 AM

Yes. And if this keeps up I'll have to change my handle AGAIN: Unnamed_GM.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:58 AM

I'll feel great about not getting VJ if we just don't waste another of our high picks on someone else's problem. We already have enough of our own.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Will anyone talk to me about Marko Mitchell?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 7:44 AM

That depends...do you know any UFL coaches?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 7:49 AM
-----------------------------------------
Just rattling your chain, Brownwood26. I guess all of the Marko defenders don't get up this early.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

brown

"I can see both sides of the coin (of adding VJAX)and don't feel strongly about one scenario or the other."

Given the redskin surplus at SS, the team could offer C Horton and M Kelly and a 5th rounder for Jackson, and no one would argue that that's a bad deal for either team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Would VJAX be that much of a difference?

Doubt it.

Just say "Maybe" to VJAX.

And yes, to the 4 young'ns.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 7:50 AM
-----------------------------------------
You make a good point about VJax. Obviously the desire to have him has changed since the team has been able to see what they have as options at wide receiver. Still, I come to this one point and use it to justify getting a big body wide receiver: who you gonna call on when it's third and long and the defense is playing bump and run on your receivers?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 8:05 AM

The only way A.J. Smith takes that deal is if Luca Brasi is standing over him with a gun to his head. Which is to say, you have better odds of being gored in the taint by a unicorn.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

good stuff about dt, and good thing that a lot of folks up here don't run the team as they'd have cut him among others a while ago....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:09 AM

Good point...much is said about our two TEs but it seems to me that if having two really good TEs was as effective as having a top flight WR and TE, more people would do it. TEs are cheaper than WRs so there's no doubt this would have already caught on by now. It seems good on paper, but we Skins fans are all too familiar with the notion that what looks good on paper doesn't always translate onto the field.

Like I said...it's a tough call. Glad I'm not the one making it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 8:15 AM

Damn right we would have cut him. And I'm just hoping that we can trade him to the Vikes for Marko Mitchell.

STUD

Mark Mitchell

DUDS

DT
BeantownGreg

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

brown

"The way I see it, SD would be doing us a favor by taking MK. So I have a hard time seeing them go for anything less than MK/Horton/2nd rounder."

And we'd be doing them a favor in taking a guy in Jackson they don't want to pay.

Legadu Nanee and Malcolm Floyd are the receivers the chargers will lean on while VJAX is out due to suspension: and they can be just as good.

Too, you forget that many folks think C Horton is an excellent SS.

Kelly plus Horton plus a 5th rounder would make all sides happy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 8:15 AM

No doubt...then we'd be crossing our fingers that the Marko Mitchell/Colt Brennan duo is enough to carry the passing game with Marcus Mason anchoring the ground game. Ugh...talk about "the sh*tlets"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 8:15 AM

STUD

Mark Mitchell

DUDS

DT
BeantownGreg

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:23 AM
------------------------------------------
I'm sensing a recurring theme here.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Plus next years draft will have a lot of wide receiver talent. A very deep group will be coming out in the 2011 class, these are all WRs over 6'3, all are projected to be solid NFL players.
-A.J. Green,Georgia;Julio Jones, Alabama;Terrance Toliver, LSU;Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh;Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

Posted by: Stu27 | August 20, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Kelly plus Horton plus a 5th rounder would make all sides happy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 8:24 AM

If that were true, the deal would already have been done.

VJax may miss four games with a suspension, but Kelly's missing the rest of his career with a knee. No market for one-kneed receivers.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Moe, you have no idea how much I wish you were right about that. To me, the only way Allen goes into a deal like that with SD is if he does so with a gun and a mask. A.J. Smith wouldn't sit right for a week...

I think you overrate Horton though...if he were an "excellent SS" he'd be starting here. He's not. I think he'd be a great addition for them since they don't have one, but I don't think he breaks the difference between a 2nd round pick and a 5th rounder.

Again...I wish A.J. Smith thought like you do, but I doubt he does.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 8:15 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:26 AM
------------------------------------------
C'mon, it would have been Chase Daniels and Quinton Ganther. Geesh, at least give me that much credit...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 20, 2010 8:29 AM

Should we call Vinny to get his opinion...and grab the opposite?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Again...I wish A.J. Smith thought like you do, but I doubt he does.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:31 AM
------------------------------------------
Well, as long as we're playing fantasy football, how about this one: Malcolm Kelly, Andre Carter and Chris Horton to New Orleans for Robert Meachum and the draft pick we traded to them for J Brown?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Why not trade AH, and throw in MK to sweeten the deal. Please don't trade any draft picks.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Should we call Vinny to get his opinion...and grab the opposite?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 8:32 AM

Vinny's advice: "I don't know. If you take enough of them, though, one of them has to work out."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

brown

"I think you overrate Horton though...if he were an "excellent SS" he'd be starting here."

Well, remember that draft pedigree is everything:

Malcolm Kelly: high pick gets time and patience

Marko Mitchell: 7th rounder, cut/released

L Landry: 1st rounder with obvious coverage issues gets a position re-adjustment

C Horton: 7th rounder who played well prior to injury must wait his turn

The theme of high rounders being given breaks because of pedigree runs all throughout the league.

Horton is a good player, and the skins have too many SS's.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Should we call Vinny to get his opinion...and grab the opposite?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 8:32 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:36 AM

Yeah...now that I think about it he did have his fingers crossed alot.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:09 AM
-------------------------

You call a stacked formation so your WR gets a clean release. Or you use some motion.

What you don't do is what Zoron did last year, which was simply line up your smurfs in the same spot with no motion and have them run a 5 yard out for 3rd n 10.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:36 AM

Because AH and MK have no trade value: "Here, take this plate of dog kibble and, to sweeten the deal, I'm gonna pour vinegar on top of it."

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I feel much better going into the season with suspect wide receivers than I would with a suspect offensive line.

(coughdallascough)

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 20, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:36 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:39 AM |

You're right, besides, SD plays 3-4 defense.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

(coughdallascough)

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 20, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Moe, didn't Horton get benched last year? I seem to remember performance being part of his problem, not just injury...don't recall exactly.

Hess, no chance whatsoever that SD takes AH. The only way we work a deal with them is if it's a 3-way deal where the 3rd party takes AH, we get VJ, and the 3rd team gives up the requisite draft pick (likely a 2nd rounder). I was hoping Seattle would be dumb enough to do that, but I would think they'd have their own designs on getting VJ for themselves.

RSH, if we pulled that trade, Bruce Allen would be the one not sitting right for a week. Total rip off for the Skins...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:36 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 8:39 AM

LOL...easily the funniest thing you've posted in weeks...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

"In other words, what looked good before--adding VJAX--doesn't look the same now as viable options have emerged in younger receivers.

Would VJAX be that much of a difference?

Doubt it."

Mista Moe. I agree that giving up a kings ransom in picks for Vjax is a mistake but this part of your argument is flawed. Armstrong, Thomas, Banks and Austin have not shown anything that would lead someone to believe that they are ever going to be more than a 3rd wr in this league. The team had one good pre season game against what could be the worst team in the league. The team still lacks a true #1 wr and they are hard to come by. Moss, Cooley and Davis may come together as a passable passing attack but far from elite. Elite to me means top 10 receiving group. I doubt they even make the top 15 or even 20. Hell they are 4th in the NFC East. The biggest challenge facing the team moving forward is how to address the holes on the line while adding a #1 receiver as well as replacing some of the older guys. It is not going to be easy.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 20, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:46 AM |

Hess, no chance whatsoever that SD takes AH.

Yea, I forgot the 3-4 defensive issue. Hang on to those draft picks though.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

brown

"...didn't Horton get benched last year? I seem to remember performance being part of his problem, not just injury...don't recall exactly."

All I remember about Horton is that two football commentators--John Madden and Ron Jaworski--both said his play impressed them as they reviewed redskin game tape.

And I tend to trust what they say about players, scheme, and football in general.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Random note about tomorrows game;

From the earlier convo about whether this is a rivalry and who cares.... apparently they do.

98ROCK, 'the official flagship station of the Baltimore Ravens'; in promoting the game and their coverage, said that it was "the Battle of the Beltway, and even though it is preseason, we still care about local bragging rights", saying how they cant wait to whip us.

Its funny, cause prior to them winning the superbowl, i could care less and i was actually rooting for them to beat the Giants cause living up here would afford some cool celebrations on campus, and I dislike the giants.

But since that time, they have had a major bone for us and what we do. I wish I could say I cared about the game, and i will yell at the TV as I always do, but it is just preseason, and if I really cared then I would be stooping to their level.

I know my Raven fan co-workers will be jaw-jacking if they beat us, so part of me wants to give it to them should we win... maybe if we were a better team all the years it would be more fun to turn this into a rivalry for reals... maybe now is the time.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 20, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:46 AM
------------------------------------------
Yes, may be tilted to New Orleans, but I look at it this way: the Skins are going to have to make some tough decisions when they have to reduce the roster. Carter is not guaranteed a spot. In fact, I would say his play so far suggests he would be a liability and there is no need to play a guy just because of his contract. Vinny would have Zorn do that, Allen and Shanahan got a little more going on upstairs than to fall in that trap. Horton hasn't been the same guy. He may not make this team. Lendy Holmes is a better coverage guy and Doughty has solidified his position by his teams play. MK, in my opinion, is gone shortly after he gets healthy, so, I don't think there is much to be given up there. Meachem, on the other hand, is a decent receiver who plays bigger than he is. I like the way he uses his body to wrestle the ball away from defenders and he's not so easy to bring down.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

srobert

"...but this part of your argument is flawed. Armstrong, Thomas, Banks and Austin have not shown anything that would lead someone to believe that they are ever going to be more than a 3rd wr in this league."

You have a point.

I'm thinking that the team could see 4 guys catching 20 balls a piece while helping out in the return game the same as 1 big guy starter who gets 63 all by himself, but costs you a draft pick.

The saints use 3-4 middlin' type guys getting 40-55 catches a game, not Jerry Rice, jr. in their passing attack.

Why not try to emulate that over the next few seasons is what I'd really say if I had the space to say it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Zeebs, Ravens fans in general are tools and have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to all things D.C. The way I see it, the only time it's worthwhile to coin the title "Battle of the Beltway" is if the two teams meet in the Super Bowl. Wasting that monicker on a preseason game is laughable and makes them look as lame as Wizards fans did printing T-shirts for going to the 2nd round of the playoffs...

I suggest you follow my lead and treat them like the 6th graders they are...when they jack their jaws just smile, shake your head, and simply say, "children never learn"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

You're right, besides, SD plays 3-4 defense.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Yes I think so, and I hear that Mr. Kelly is not a fan of playing in the 3-4.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 20, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

brownie;

That is the stance I take... but now that we actually have a team I am proud of (yes, based upon one preaseason game, but FA moves, 1 year tenders... very different and like a real team), I like to put my money where my mouth is... and I've been known to run it a little when competition is involved... SH_T... I bet someone every year on our record... i lost the 'above .500' bet last year... and i am about to make that same one.

So they wanna talk, i'll talk back. Just my confrontational nature I guess.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 20, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:59 AM

Don't let the one play he made against us sway you...that dude is a former 1st round pick who hasn't lived up to his billing. If that guy is the best we can do in a trade, I'd rather stick with what we've got.

The only reason I'm preoccupied with VJ is because he fits exactly what Shanahan wants...big, skilled WR with good hands, speed, and blocks well. It's hard to get a WR that has all those attributes. I just don't want to give up any more high picks to get him in burgundy and gold.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

More power to ya, Zeebs...play on playa.

Be glad you didn't bet me on our record last year...that was a fool's bet on your part. If you really have money burning a hole in your pocket you can feel free to give it to me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

To give up a 2nd round pick and more for Vincent Jackson is undoubtedly a bad idea.

That pick, which hopefully will be in the mid fifties to low sixties, would be better used on a young running back of offensive lineman.

Hopefully Devin Thomas steps up as the prototypical big,fast deep threat.

Donovan McNabb has historically shown a knack for making mediocre receivers look pretty good.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 20, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Also, they wear their jerseys on fridays... and those purple camo pants... and that 'Move them chains' sounder when they get a first down... it is all so infuriating when they talk of their great football team.

After years of bellyaching about losing a team, they accept one from another town and dont see the irony....

Our team has been around since 32... i mean, it sucks they lost the colts... but having any animosity towards us as a franchise, not based upon histroical rivalry or games... is obviously inferiority... and i would love to rub salt in that created wound if we win...

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 20, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

LOL...easily the funniest thing you've posted in weeks...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 8:50 AM

Well, we can't all be mistamoe. Although missusmoe might like it if we were.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 8:59 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:09 AM
-----------------------------------------
I would take VJ over Meachem, no doubt, but I think San Diego's asking price is going to be too high. I don't share your viewpoint on Meachem. I think he hasn't been as productive because of the players around him and the system he is in. There just aren't enough balls to go around. For that reason, too, I think he can be had for less than VJ. Either way - or any way the staff dreams up - I would like to see a big receiver on the roster. I don't think MK stays and DT hasn't shown he's consistent enough catching the ball in traffic.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

beep beep y'all

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

True, optimistic to a fault. Figured another year... better record. And it had to be a bet they would take... and hindsight is 20/20.

Knowing what I do now, about Zorns terrible play practicing, it obvi was a bad bet.

Also the fact we won 4 games is pretty amazing to me and speaks to a certain level of talent on our team.

So with a better QB, coach etc... is at least worth 4 wins more... again, optimistic.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 20, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------

The secret sauce to the Saints O is the 80+ receptions they got out of their backfield.

Typically the prolific offenses over the last decade have centered around a backfield which could affect the passing game.

See Faulk, Holmes, Westbrook, Tomlinson, Bush, Alexander, E. James, etc... I'm probably missing a few, but really you could only suggest James and Faulk had superior receivers.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The Post, Reid and Steinberg give us more attention than any other city out there. Yet all you can do is complain about it. Get a grip.. you are using the forum that they provide to complain about them!

That's a complete dick move. Get a life.

Posted by: jspin77 | August 20, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

D A L L A S S U C K S ! ! ! !

Ol' JJ, he rolled the bones with a decrepit OL and looks like he's going to lose that gamble big-time. Reminds me of some of Vinny's "genius" moves. Now the Cowturds are heading into the regular season their RT having knee surgery, a 4th-round draft pick at LT, and their LG having a sprained MCL. Jason Campbell can tell you what happens when your OL gets old all at once, and you haven't stocked up draft picks.

Mr. Romo, meet Mr. Orakpo. He'll be here all night, although you might not be.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Off Topic:
Will the "Rocket's" chin music to his indictors bale him out one last time?

Posted by: Spanglerg | August 20, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Catching the ball is catching the ball. Does he catch everything thrown at him in practice games?

Does he run good routes?

Does he block?

Does he adjust to the blitz, know the hot read, adjust to the ball, etc.

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 20, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

How important is Vincent Jackson to the Redskins in a potential deal?

I think with McNabb and Moss with the TEs this team has, the addition of Jackson puts this team in the playoffs as either a wildcard or even possibly a division winner.

You look around at all the injuries Dallas has on the OL and the uncertainty there is with Free starting his first year at LT, and there is cause to think the Redskins can compete for the East.

But they need to be able to score points.

And while I think Portis/Johnson can be an effective gound tandem, the big play capability is just not there right now with the TEs and Moss alone.

Jackson's 17 yards per catch average and 9 touchdowns is the tonic we have been missing.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | August 20, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Okay....DT should be okay...I think he came on toward the end of last year and should build on that substantially this year. As long as they use him effectively.

I'm not sold on all this "speed" he has, but definitly is a good peice of athlete.

The other cats are good fill in people.

I still contest that eventhough we've seem to have one or two good receivers out of this 2010 camp, THE SCOUTING DEPARTMENT needs to pick up it's game. I was looking at some other preseason games and it seems that alot of teams have bigger faster receivers even at the 3rd and 4th string level. That's unsettling..

I feel that barring injury we should atleast average. THE RUNNING game is key, that will make it easier to pass the ball.

Posted by: impervious99 | August 20, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Will anyone talk to me about Marko Mitchell?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 7:44 AM

Sure, he was cut by people that know more about football than you.

Posted by: dean4 | August 20, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Will anyone talk to me about Marko Mitchell?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 7:44 AM

sure he was cut by people that know more about football than you.

Posted by: dean4 | August 20, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

THOMAS IS GETTING MORE COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT IS GOING ON...GEEZ..GIVE ME A BREAK. EACH YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE IT HAS BEEN ONE STEP FORWARD..TWO STEPS BACK. HE3 CAN`T REMEMBER ROUTES..OFTEN HE DOES NOT GET GOOD SEPARATION, SO WHY SHOULD WE EXPECT HIM TO BE
A STARTING WIDE OUT. I`LL BET BRANDON BANKS..WOULD SCARE OPPONENTS MORE THAN THOMAS DOES. REMEMBER WHAT DeSEAN JACKSON
DID IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR.