Devin Thomas on his status: 'I don't really know'

By 4 p.m. Tuesday, the Redskins will cut their roster down to 75 players, By Saturday afternoon, 22 more guys will be released, when the Redskins trim their roster to 53. There's always a surprise or two, which means a handful of players are worried about being surprised.

Asked about his status with the team on Monday, receiver Devin Thomas said, "I don't really know."

"It's kind of up in the air. It could go either way. I don't really know the scenario," he said. "I'm just going to play my heart out, do what I got to do to stay on this team."

Because so few other receivers have stepped up this preseason, Thomas seemed to be in pretty good position to make this team. But his uncertainty might indicate that his spot is a bit tenuous and perhaps he's not in good favor with coaches. Certainly his absence from Friday's game was not a good sign.

The third preseason is the game in which teams play starters. They gameplan a bit more and try to mimic regular-season scenarios. So the fact that Thomas didn't play a single snap as receiver is telling. Coach Mike Shanahan said he simply couldn't spread the ball around and wanted to wait until Thursday's Arizona game to see Thomas. But that means that Thomas is catching balls from quarterbacks who might not even be on the regular season roster and he'll be doing it against second- and third-string defenses.
Doesn't matter to Thomas. He feels he has no choice but to impress coaches in whatever time they give him Thursday.

"I'm approaching it like it's a regular-season game," Thomas said. "It's my opporutnity to play a lot, get some balls my way. It's my time to showcase what I can do. I know that's what the coaches are waiting on. They've seen some things in practice they're ready for me to do in a game. I'm just looking forward to it."

This preseason Thomas has four catches for 78 yards and a touchdown. In the preseason opener against Buffalo, he had three catches for 64 yards and hauled in a 44-yard score. Among receivers, only Thomas and Anthony Armstrong have caught touchdown passes this preseason. Despite not playing any snaps against the Jets, Thomas is third in the group in yards and fifth in receptions. He'll try to improve on those numbers in Arizona.

"I want to make plays, man. opportunities to get the ball, showcase my opportunities, run after the ball. make big plays," Thomas said. "That's what I'm looking forward to doing."

By Rick Maese  |  August 30, 2010; 9:08 AM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Malcolm Kelly to practice Monday, play Thursday
Next: Brandon Banks impresses again, but did he fumble away shot?

Comments

thomas and kelly will make the team - too much potential there. this is their first season on a real offense with a real coach.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 30, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

He's had 2.2 years to show what he can do in the NFL. It shouldn't have to go down to the 4th preseason game to suddenly impress the coaches. What happened during the previous 2.2 years, Devin? (Don't blame it all on Zorn, either)

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 30, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

In a refreshing change, Mr. Shanahan will be making the decision, propelling it above the crowd-sourced collective wisdom of RI Nation.
Last year was a tie, and a tie goes to the cheaper option. Thanks, Jim!

Posted by: daggar | August 30, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Walter, but I really think Kelly is gone on Saturday, and I'm really starting to wonder if Devin may be on the cutting room floor, too.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 30, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Dude is toast

Posted by: CBT2 | August 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Disagree Walter...the days of guys making the roster and playing key roles based on nothing more than potential are over. Shanahan cut to 1st rounders at WR when he first came to Denver in favor of a 5th rounder and an undrafted kid. Their names were Ed McCaffery and Rod Smith.

If Thomas and Kelly aren't in the top 5 or 6 WRs, they won't be here. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I love the people that think kelly/thomas making team is a given. The handwriting is on the wall and if the current regime thinks these guys are marginal than cutting one of them sends a clear message to the team about what they think.

I mean DT#11 Aadmitted he dogged it in ota/minis......MK#12 admits maybe he doesn't know how to stretch properly...maybe not the dedication level the Shanallen regime is looking to endorse.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Cork, that's some pretty vivid writing. That vacation in Mine sure gave you a fresh slant on things. Next year, maybe three weeks?

Posted by: beep-beep

Well you know how it is in the writing dodge, one writes to the level of his anticipated audience. I knew you'd be reading it, so I tried to keep it to sports cliches and monosyllabic observations.

Naah, you got me. I stand by my analysis,but yup, you're right, I should have punched that stuff up. Too anxious to get back on the horse, and not enough rewrite. Thanx for the comment.

For what it's worth, I was in "Maine" not in a mine. More lobster, less sulphuric gas.

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

How about LColes and SMoss as starting WR's. Last I checked, he's available and the Jets told him they want to bring him back. At 32, he might be an answer to our WR problems.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:08 AM

No. No. And no again.

The only way Coles is an answer to anything is if the question is "Who is the free agent WR the Redskins need the least?"

The Jets and Bengals went into this offseason needing WR help and both teams have cut him. That doesn't bode well for his playing prospects in 2010.

I'd rather look at Antonio Bryant than Coles...and I'm no AB fan...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

There's DT talking about what he hopes he's gonna do...again.

Posted by: edvar | August 30, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

we will see. I think 1 of the two makes it in the end. Either MK or DT.

I give the edge to DT.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"The third preseason is the game in which teams play starters. They gameplan a bit more and try to mimic regular-season scenarios. So the fact that Thomas didn't play a single snap as receiver is telling."

Oh really? Shanahan has really not been typical this preseason. Could the "telling" part be that Devin has already made the team so why play him? After all our starting QB was not playing. CP was never going to start the 3rd game - Willie Parker got the call - and we know CP will be the starter. Galloway has barely gotten into the game yet everyone is sure he will make the team. Devin has made plays while on the field - and he plays on special teams.

Now Shanahan comes out with this crazy comment about Donovan possibly not being ready for the Dallas game. Why would he even comment on that? The national media has picked it up and ran with it as a given - with the "brilliant" Tim Hasselbeck saying it would be horrific if McNabb does not play and that we have no offense except for Cooley.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 30, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2010 9:29 AM

Artificial pearls before genuine swine?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 30, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

What has MS seen in MK bean, with the exception of OTA's, voluntary mini-camps, and doing the offseason program ? I just don't think size and talent get you a spot on MS's roster.

why bother keeping him around then hess??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 9:23 AM |

One of those million dollar questions, bean, for which I haven't an answer. I still think he's gone first cut.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry I dunno. MK all but said he's on the team if healthy. Kelly said, paraphrasing, that all the coaches want is for him to run crisp routes, and know the playbook. If he doe that he should be fine. The same with Devin. He said the coaches want him to make the plays in games he makes in practice more consistently. DT and MK are very talented. I think this staff wants to see what they can be with a year in the system.

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Im hoping MK has a terrible game tonite. I do not want this kid taking a roster spot anymore. Even if he does show his potential tonight I would prefer we cut him, his inability to stay healthy will come back to bite us if we keep him. The potential talent does not outweigh the injury concern for MK at this point.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 30, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah TWISI you dunno... seriously your judging it on what the players say. No siht they are going to spin it in their favor. That proves squadoosh. C'mon guy you got better stuff than that. I mean is the tooth fairy going to save your underwater mortgage too?

And where pray tell is this "talent"

And Lisa, wow is she good for a spit take coffee laugh. Defends the previous regime like they were her daddy but blathers on about Shanallen like they won the jobs on American Idol.....hysterical.

Lisa ever consider Shanahan floats the will he /wont he stuff on Mcnabb to keep Cowboys guessing....yeah I know, no NFL coaches ever play a guessing game when it comes to injuries to top talent...

I mean can we accept that the new regime MIGHT have a clue about professional football. Memba all the Shanahan is ruining AH, he should be nicer horsecrappe...last time I check AH can't wait to get on board....

I am such a knucklhead fan that while I knew people like zorn/vinny were laughing stocks I'd con myself into "maybe this year" so call me nutty if I am willing to, I don't know, give double SB HC maybe a few games?!

And F the second rounder pass catchers, save Fred Davis. If either 11/12 had done 1/4th of the convincing that Davis has done that maybe it wasn't a complete bonehead pick I'd be willing to keep waiting on the "talent"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry I dunno. MK all but said he's on the team if healthy.

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 9:36 AM |

Uhh, I don't think that decision is Kelly's. Furthermore, what has he done this preseason to earn a spot on the roster ? He certainly hasn't been healthy.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27

Tonite? Seriously? We do not play until Thursday.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 30, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Shanny does'nt like people who appear to be 'Thugs'...

...And for some reason we don't know of, DT11 has fallen into the 'Thuggery' categorey in Shanny's head, and thinks the team can do good/bad with or without him.....MAybe it's the tatoos...who knows...

But MK12 has appeared humbled and has shown enough flashes in him to think 'Rod Smith'....And since he is in Shanny's good hairs, he's giving him every chance to make the team, because he thinks the team can be much better with him...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 30, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:08 AM

In other news, Shar Pourdanesh is also available.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 30, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

nor apparently, what the word, "scenario" means.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | August 30, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

In other news, Shar Pourdanesh is also available.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 30, 2010 9:53 AM |

How many times are you going to use that line ?
Talk about stale.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Chris Larry aka Mr. Know It All, I don't remember defending the previous regime...get your facts straight.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 30, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Here are the receivers for this year:

1. Santana Moss
2. Joey Galloway
3. Anthony Armstrong
4. Devin Thomas
5. Malcolm Kelly (He's 6'4")
6. Terrance Austin (More upside then Banks)

I would probably place Banks on the practice squad.

BOOK IT!!!

HAIL!!!

Posted by: myeldell | August 30, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Im sorry, I meant "Terrence" Austin.

Posted by: myeldell | August 30, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

One of the things I'm concerned about with MK and DT not making the team, is the Redskins decision making process when it comes to acquiring and trading away draft picks. I read an article (WPost)that other teams wanted to trade for these guys this summer and the Redskins rebuffed all trades for them. Now if they get cut we get nothing for them when we had opportunities to move on from them and at least get some future draft picks. All in all I hope they make the team!

Posted by: Psychedelic | August 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse