Devin Thomas waits for final chance

Wide receiver Devin Thomas refused to take the bait.

Waves of reporters repeatedly rephrased the question in an attempt to engage Thomas, but he said all the right things when asked about Coach Mike Shanahan's decision not to play him on offense in Friday night's 16-11 victory over the New York Jets.

"I pretty much had a night off on offense," Thomas said after the game. "It kind of caught me off guard. I thought I was going to be out there. But there must be a reason behind it. Obviously, that's Coach Shanahan. He knows what he's doing. I just have to allow that to happen and play out."

When asked about Thomas's lack of involvement on offense, Shanahan did not indicate the third-year player sat as some form of disciplinary action. The Redskins close the preseason Thursday night against the Arizona Cardinals and Thomas will play "a lot next week," Shanahan said. "Had to
make some decisions today about who we're going to play. It's really
hard to get receivers in the mix unless you play them, get them
running a little bit."

Thomas got off to a strong start in the preseason with three catches for 64 yards -- including a 44-yard touchdown reception -- in the opening victory over the Buffalo Bills. He had a 14-yard reception against the Baltimore Ravens.

"I'm not discouraged," Thomas said. "We'll see if I can come back next week. We've got a short week to get ready for Arizona. I have no expectations right now. I just know whenever I play, I'll make the best of it.

"I definitely wanted to play and contribute on offense, but it just wasn't in the plan for me. I'll just hopefully get an opportunity next week."

Shanahan's decision to sit Thomas on offense in traditionally the most important preseason game stirs many questions about Thomas's standing among the wideouts, but it would be surprising if Thomas was not part of the opening 53-man roster. Other teams inquired about Thomas in the offseason and Shanahan decided not to trade the former Michigan State standout.

And some in the organization believe Shanahan is simply trying to motivate Thomas to reach his potential. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan seemed to indicate as much recently when he said the Redskins were not surprised by Thomas's big play against the Bills but that they need Thomas to do all the other stuff as well.

Thomas plans to continue working hard, he said.

"All I can do is leave all that [his place on the team] up to Coach Shanahan," Thomas said. "I don't really know what the finally scenario is going to be for anybody, really. ... By the time this is all said and done, we'll find out what's going to happen."

By Jason Reid  |  August 29, 2010; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas , preseason games , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Johnson hits his groove
Next: Donovan McNabb out Thursday, Clinton Portis uncertain

Comments

After so many years, this is still the best sex I've ever had. I hope this romance can be outdated this year. Please don't tell my wife.

Posted by: abxinc | August 29, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

" I'll just hopefully get an opportunity next week."

Isn't that what he says every week? "Next week, I'll have my talents on display."

I hope next week gets here some day...

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

abx,

That gave me chills.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'd like to see the Skins address the RB position by bringing in a player with more speed and/or quickness than the current group has. Its been discussed that the Bills, and Ravens should have a difficult cut at that position. I'd also like to mention the Browns, and Vikings should have difficult decisions there as well. As for vets on the bubble, Derrick Ward in Tampa and our old friend L Betts in New Orleans are squarely on the fence.

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2010 11:55 AM |

I can pass on Lady Betts. Don't know if Shanahan's running schemes are oriented towards opening holes for breakaway types. Portis appears to have something left in the tank. It would be an asset to have fast back that would force the opponents to plan for more tnan a one dimensional running attack.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

JOhn Keim excerpt:

WHAT WE LEARNED

» Albert Haynesworth commands attention. Good to be reminded of that fact. His second rush showed how much respect he garners. Haynesworth started at the nose and stunted to the right side. As he went this way, three New York Jets blockers — three! — went with him. That left Vonnie Holliday free coming up the middle for a pressure. Seriously, three Jets were staring right at Haynesworth. Unreal.

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc

Can't watch that enough.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I hope next week gets here some day...

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 12:11 PM |

It's very confusing about when the week officially starts. If you look at calendars, the week appears to begin on Sunday. But the work week begins on Monday. And the bible says that God and Glenn Beck rested on Sunday, having created the Heavens and Earth the previous six days.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins close the preseason Thursday night against the Arizona Cardinals and Thomas will play "a lot next week," Shanahan said. "Had to make some decisions today about who we're going to play. It's really hard to get receivers in the mix unless you play them, get them
running a little bit."

Still, if I was DT I wouldn't be closing on no houses or such (unless he is the seller of course).

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Tweets from today's practice indicate that P Riley is in an air cast. Portis, Sellers, McNabb didn't practice as well. No mention on Kelly.

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:27 PM

Dude, I know this is sarcasm; however you should try not to include God's name in the same sentence with a certified twit, an emotionally deranged psychopath that is taking freedom of speech to another level.

Posted by: abxinc | August 29, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

actually the bible said that God finished up sundown Friday. Its just that the Christians and Glen Beck were illiterate.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Before leaving, Campbell got off to another strong start, completing four passes for 67 yards on an 81-yard touchdown drive. Darrius Heyward-Bey had two of his three catches on the drive, fullback Marcel Reece had a 34-yard reception and Michael Bush scored on a 1-yard run. Campbell finished 6-for-8 for 93 yards.

Could Campbell be on the road to self-redemption? The answer awaits the start of the regular season. But he never had a preseason like this with the Skins.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2010 12:44 PM |

True dat. So mebbe the calendars are right. In that scenario Sunday would be the beginning of a new week.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

From the Cowgirls site:
Mistakes are shared on an offense. Romo's low completion rate for the preseason, just 26-of-46, is his. The five sacks he has taken are on the line for not blocking, the receivers for not getting open, and again they are his, for not doing getting rid of the ball faster. The two interceptions in these past four games count against he alone, though one came on a ball that ricocheted off Jason Witten's hands and he was hit as he threw the other.

Most importantly, the first-team offense's failure to score points is Romo's problem. The unit has put together just one touchdown drive, that coming when a long fumble return set them up in great field position, just eight yards out. They didn't score at all in Saturday's 23-7 loss to Houston, Romo posting a 72.9 quarterback rating on 13-of-18 passing for 146 yards, an interception and two sacks. It was ugly.

I love rooting for the Skins. Hating the Cowpies is a close second...

Posted by: Club320 | August 29, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FourthAndOne

Campbell did have a couple good throws, but it's preseason. I do remember him looking good in a few preseason games here as well. The Raiders blogs are complaining he held the ball too long on the play he got hit. Guess we'll see if he has turned the corner.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Waves of reporters repeatedly rephrased the question in an attempt to engage Thomas,..."

Talk about a lot of hyperbole.

I can't see "Waves of reporters repeatedly...," asking Devin Thomas anything out of the ordinary as for the most part he has just been that.

His job this week is to secure his, not win one.

He should be featured in the passing game, and, as a result, should not bobble, drop, fumble, or misjudge any balls coming his way.

He must look at A Armstrong and feel jealous.

'Cuz AA is the guy surrounded by waves of attention.

And the guy deserves it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan

"I worry more about who we have than the Raiders though. Grossman, well he knows the offense. Hope he doesn't have too many opportunities though..."

Agreed.

Grossman is like the Peanuts character Charlie Brown in that you know he's a good man, but you really don't want to have to depend on him for anything.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2010 12:44 PM |

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 12:51 PM

The bible I have doesn't say exactly what God did on the sixth day. It does say that he rested on the seventh day, and made it a holy day.

Why the hate?

Posted by: sament | August 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

McNabb and Rex Grossman not playing Thursday. Kelly is going to play it seems. Capers moving up depth chart it seems. He going to get some time at LG.

---------------------------------------------

From Russellamnia09 we get this little bit of news...

Shanahan says "I really don't know for sure" on McNabb and basically the same for CP for Cowboys opener.

13 minutes ago via Twitter for Android

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow Kelly's gonna play?? That's a surprise.

But is it too late?

Posted by: rachel216 | August 29, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

There is a common denominator for these names::
Joey Galloway, Willie Parker, Richard Bartel, Boby Wade, Byron Westbrook, Ramzee Robinson and Shay Hodge.
Are you guessing what I'm guessing?

Posted by: abxinc | August 29, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

sament

Why the hate?

Hate is when someone suggests a biracial man is a racist without evidence of same.

Hate is also when someone suggests that a biracial president is somehow using the Treasury of the United States to pay reparations to minority groups for old racial wounds that most folks don't care to think about.

Finally, hate is when someone tells the majority race in the country that it has been repeatedly victimized during the 19 months the biracial president has lead the country.

That the disaffected majority should mount a civil rights movement to toss off the shackles the socialist biracial has locked all their aspirations in.

Those posters mocking Glenn Beck were being sarcastic, not hateful.

Glenn Beck's intentions are the ones you need to check as stirring up old racial wounds has done nothing so far but make him $32 million dollars last year alone.

And that, my friend, is what's hateful.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

sament

Why the hate?

Those posters mocking Glenn Beck were being sarcastic, not hateful.

And that, my friend, is what's hateful.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

But is it too late?

Posted by: rachel216 | August 29, 2010 1:34 PM |

It's never too late for a last chance dance.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | August 29, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Bengals just cut Antonio Bryant. I think he would be a great pick up for the skins, a legit number two WR. Thoughts?

Posted by: shortman4 | August 29, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Antonio Bryant anyone? From 4 year for $28 mill to unemployed. Might be better than several of our guys.

Posted by: will_ga | August 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect MistaMoe, I don't care about slamming Beck - but I do think it's wrong to lump "Christians" in there as "illiterate," sarcasm or not. Further, unless my copy of the bible is off, the seventh day was in fact made the day of rest.

I say with all due respect because in fact I have great respect for your posts, along with most of the other regulars - including Alex and Fourth. As you can see I am plodding in my writing, but enjoy tremendously what you guys say on RI!

Posted by: sament | August 29, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

bengals released antonio bryant...1200 yds receiving in 2008?! Injuries!?!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 29, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

This just in: NFL.Com reports that Kelly pulled his hammy again in today's practice. My bet is he goes to IR.

Posted by: pyrotech | August 30, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks could be the 3rd down RB at times. There aren't many guys in the league that can keep up with him.

Posted by: jdumb | August 31, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse