Devin Thomas gets his chance "to shine" next week

The Washington Redskins spread the ball around Friday night against the Jets; 12 different players caught passes. One name noticeably absent from the stat sheet, though, was third-year receiver Devin Thomas.

In fact, Thomas, thought to have a shot at starting opposite Santana Moss not long ago, didn't even enter the game as a receiver. The only action he saw against the Jets was on special teams.

Coach Mike Shanahan said after the game that keeping Thomas out of the offense was part of his game plan.

"Had to make some decisions today about who we're going to play," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to get receivers in the mix unless you play them, get them running a little bit."

But Shanahan said Thomas will get "a lot" of action next week at Arizona. The fourth preseason game is typically one in which the starters play for only a series or two.

Thomas, currently listed with the third-stringers on the depth chart, apparently has not done nearly enough to convince coaches that he's among the team's top two
receivers.

By Rick Maese  |  August 28, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Devin Thomas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Doughty, Horton audition for safety job
Next: Larry Johnson hits his groove

Comments

"Doughty, Horton audition for safety job."

First to say this is a scary proposition, even if it's from the last post.

Horton is a 4.8 forty clone of Reed, with better hands and a lower FB IQ.

They should look at playing Carter or giving Holmes a look at FS, and leave 37 & 48 on teams and at backup SS.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Reed was terrible last night. Too slow of feet, no range, and was no where to be found in run support."

I didn't see that. I thought the whole secondary played pretty well. Landry is the run support guy.

Looked to me like the struggle was up front.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

if I'm counting right, the Skins completed passes to 12 different guys last night, 6 of them WRs. I don't know how they would have squeezed in a reception for Thomas. I suspect they're trying to decide between a couple of WRs as well as TEs at the end of the roster.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

A few excerpts worth discussing.

1. About Haynesworth:

*That said, I wonder if the defense might be better off with Haynesworth at nose tackle instead of right end. NT Ma’ake Kemoeatu was pushed back too frequently tonight. A player needs to anchor at that position, and Kemoeatu far too often hasn’t seemed up to the task.

----------------------------------------

I don't think Kemo is all the way back from his injury. He gets pushed back a bit more than you'd like from a starting NT. Kemo is probably better playing a support role at this point. The SKins have decent depth at DE and could be better with Haynesworth at NT. IMO AH should be the starter at NT...but...
__________________________________________

2.On the running game:

*One culprit in the run game appeared to be C Casey Rabach. He struggled to sustain blocks on while running laterally. That’s an essential part of the Redskins’ running scheme, and it has to improve.
-----------------------------------

The Skins need to find Rabach's replacement by the time the 2011 season starts.
_________________________________________

3. On Brandon Banks:

*PR Brandon Banks hurt his cause tonight with his lost fumble on a punt return. He now has a muff, a fumble and a touchdown this preseason. The knock on him is that he has trouble standing up to contact at 5-7, 150, and he wasn’t even popped on the play. He simply was stripped. We saw it last preseason with Anthony Alridge—fumbles trump speed when it comes down to making the final roster. Banks finished the game well with two catches for 35 yards, but it was against third-stringers. Overall, I don’t think anyone hurt their chances of making the team more than Banks did.

-----------------------------------------

Austin showed me something last night at the WR position. Austin is quick and he has really good vision. Bank's speed is intriguing but he's had two negative plays on special teams. These two are playing for one spot IMO. I still prefer Banks over Austin, but this race is too close to call.

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Reed Doughty is awful in pass coverage. He gets beat consistently but that's not so much his fault. It's the teams. No way in hell should we have entered training camp with only "one pure free safety" as Kareem Moore has been called.

He's a backup strong safety whose starting at free. Considering that, he's doing about as well as we can.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 28, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 12:10 PM |

I agree.

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, he had last year to shine. He had the 1st preseason game to shine, he had the 2nd preseason game to shine, he had yesterday to shine. Armstrong was never given a game to "shine" but he's shined in every game he's played in. Banks albeit is rough around the edges, takes advantage of his time on the field. If you can't sh!t get off the pot.

Torain and Williams takes advantage of the time their given. There's a reason the 2nd and 3rd team shined against the Jets 1st team: Those boys want to eat. And I hope our 1st string took notice too, because some of them might have been watching their replacements.

Posted by: clark202 | August 28, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I want to CR22 play a couple downs at FS, they should at least try him out in that role in the preseason, something tells me come Oct. or Nov. he might be switched to that roll out of attrition. Its best he cuts his teeth at it now. Although, I liked what I saw out of Carter in the two plays he was in. He was decisive, took the correct angle and tackled LT behind the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: clark202 | August 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | August 28, 2010 12:42 PM

There are 64 starting CBs in the league. 22 is in the top 20, like it or not. Buchcanon or Barnes would be the better option at FS, but they're in the mix for our #3 CB.

Carter starts on Sept 12.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Well guys, here are the growing oains I expected. With all the scheme switches and the poor personnel from the past administration it was bound to happen. Now, what a good regime will do is get the core starters and some backups in place this year. Fill in the rest of the starters and a few more backups next year. And by the third year we should have some quality depth and the whole team on the same page. This, of course, could mostly be accelerated to next year but the players that we need for quality backups won't really be in place until year three. Having said that we should be able to win next year if we aren't decimated by injuries. This year? 8-8.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"Thomas seemed to be in good spirits after the Jets' game. He said he's looking forward to facing the Cardinals next week. "That's my opportunity to shine," he said.

This comment comes from a clown whose yet to find a real job in anybody's circus.

I mean, DT is gonna 'shine' against cardinal secondary types who've spent the better part of three years facing L Fitzgerald, A Boldin, and S Breaston in practice everyday.

If he's gonna shine, he'd better eat his Wheaties.

'Cuz they will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S TEN COMMANDMENTS OF REDKINS' FANDOM!

1) Root for the team in good times and bad.

2) only wear jerseys of current, retired or deceased Redskins. Please NO Lavreneus Coles jerseys.

3) know all of "Hail to the Redkins"

4) dish out the trash talk, only if you are able to take it.

5) never buy food at the stadium

6) Stop trying to call every play! You're in sales...you're not an offense/defensive coordinator.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, checking the summary for safeties, looks like Doughty had 3 tackles, 0 assists; Horton had 2 and 2; Landry had 2 and 1; and Ty Carter had 2 and 2. No passes defensed. Overall, not a bad distribution. The Jets' WRs, the main deep threat, caught a measly 7 balls total - 3 to Cotchery, 2 to Edwards, that one long one to Holmes, and a dink to Laveraneus. They mainly threw to TE Keller. NY averaged 4.5 yards per attempt, even with Sanchez in for 3 quarters. The NY QBs did get sacked 4 times, but for a total of only 19 yards.

I dunno, it's hard to find too much to criticize there.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S TEN COMMANDMENTS OF REDKINS' FANDOM!

1) Root for the team in good times and bad.

3) know all of "Hail to the Redkins"

4) dish out the trash talk, only if you are able to take it.

5) never buy food at the stadium

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 1:42 PM |

So does that mean Lavar Arrington jerseys are okay?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S RANDOM THOUGHTS

1) Root for the team in good times and bad.Nothing is worse than a fair weather fan. If you jumped beltways to the Ravens...stay there!

3) know all of "Hail to the Redkins"

4) dish out the trash talk, only if you are able to take it.

5) never buy food at the stadium

8) Stop calling for the 3rd string QB after an interception by the starter.

9) Stop getting jerseys with YOUR last name on the back of it...that's soooo gay!

10) Stop giving Riggins a pass just because he was on the SB teams.... He's an azz!

WHAT SAY YOU?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Lavar Arrington jerseys are NOT ok...he left via free agency...oh yeah Art Monk and Brian Mitchell are exceptions.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

8) Stop calling for the 3rd string QB after an interception by the starter.

Never! This is a long standing tradition dating back to the days of Babe Laufenberg.

Posted by: pppp1 | August 28, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 1:51 PM |

Facetiousness my man...facetiousness

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S RANDOM THOUGHTS

OBVIOUSLY

I AM OK WITH GUYS WHO HAD GOOD CAREERS WITH SKINS BUT ALSO PLAYED ELSEWHERE

3) know all of "Hail to the Redkins"

OBVIOUSLY

4) dish out the trash talk, only if you are able to take it.

OBVIOUSLY

5) never buy food at the stadium

FED EX YES, BUT I LIKE STADIUM FOOD AT OTHER PARKS, ESPECIALLY BASEBALL

WHAT THIS IS SILLY. ITS HALF THE FUN THEN WHEN YOU BLOW IT 3/4 OF THE TIME YOUR FRIENDS CAN CLOWN YOU.

8) Stop calling for the 3rd string QB after an interception by the starter.

OBVIOUSLY

EXTREMELY, WORST JERSEY MOVE EVER...WOULD RATHER ROCK THE DANA STUBBLEFIELD

NO WAY! LIFETIME PASS AND A LOVE HIM STILL, YOU'RE THE AZZ HERE (NOT REALLY BUT HAD TO SAY IT)

WHAT SAY YOU?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"7) Don't invite me to watch the game at your house if I have to bring food and alcohol...Cheap Bastard!"

I agree with this in almost every sense. But a good guest should not come empty handed....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 28, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

If dude asks me to his house, least i'm doing is bringing a side dish or some beverages...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 28, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

beep...beep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

this "I'm keeping DT out so other guys can get reps" explanation doesn't make any sense.

If you are trying to get your bubble guys time on the field, then why did santana moss play at all? I can see that moss plays with the first team and dt with the third (given room to play on the third team because of the glut of receivers, which doesn't exist on the first, makes it harder), but dt has to be on the bubble still considering he has looked terrible so far, why not play him?

Either we are not getting a full explanation of dt's status with the team, or DT isn't being considered to be cut by tuesday and other players are being examined to see who we should be rid of.

I must admit, my patience with the dt situation is wearing thin. I almost feel I am less upset with Mk right now with his injury, than with dt's lack of noticeable progress while healthy.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 28, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, it's hard to find too much to criticize there.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 1:46 PM

Here's another criticism...Love Joey T, hate him as an announcer. He's soooo positive it makes IH8Dallas seem negative. Even on the brutal Rex fumble in the end zone, he called the play by Rex, "GREAT!" Where's Lawrence Taylor when you need him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 28, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Did you watch the game? If so you would be critical about the play of the FS position (minus Carter).posted by diesel44"

I did watch it, and overall I thought the FS play was pretty decent. Keeping in mind that these are backups and the Jets kept the first team in for about three quarters.

I think the numbers support that conclusion.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Let me clarify:
Dude: Hey, you and the wife come to my house Sunday for the game.. (x and X and X) are all coming over. I'm gonna fire the grill at 11:00

Me: Sounds good. What can we bring?

Dude: I'm gonna be cooking burgers and brats/sausages. Maybe some pasta or or some kind of vegetable?

Me: Ok, wife will make pasta salad.

Of course, this presumes its not a bunch of young twenty something single guys looking to slam 2 burgers, 5 hot sausages, some chips, and an 18 pack over the course of ten hours of football. Not that there is anything wrong with that, and i've got some of those t shirts in the back of my drawer. I just rarely wear them anymore.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 28, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Our safeties could not be as bad as characterizd above. Here's the NFL ranking of our pass defense over the past 10 years:

2009 - 8th
2008 - 7th
2007 - 16th
2006 - 23rd
2005 - 10th
2004 - 7th
2003 - 14th
2002 - 5th
2001 - 6th
2000 - 2nd

For the past two years, and for the pst 10 years, pass defense has been a strength of the team. Probably, it has been the most consistent strength.

That includes the Zorn years, the two since Sean Taylor's untimely death.

Posted by: mirf59 | August 28, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@Samson151-I'm with you.Not too much to criticize because of what TWISI said...
@TWISI-
~~
I'm not going get started too much on
Haynesworth, but it's worth mentioning that if he had tried a little sugar in his contretemp with Shanahan, maybe he would have been able to finesse Shanahan/Haslett into adjusting the defensive alignment.

But the way Haynesworth went about it probably locked both of the coaches into a defensive crouch, a real tragedy since we need, IMO, to run a 4-3 defense if only to help someone like Kemoeatu while he gets back into the groove. It would also give us the advantage of having both talented young passrushers Orakpo and Wilson rushing from both end spots. That would help cover for the linebackers. What's best, having Orakpo and Wilson try to stop the plays before they begin with sacks or try to stop plays afterwards with tackles?

But Albert, Albert, Albert, sigh...if only he tried to work from within...

@Scampbell1975-Agreed, we have some pieces, but it's going to take just a lil' while longer to get it all the personnel straight and....

@Diesel44-You're right, if Joey T. gets any more reflexively positive, he could be turned into a Redskin magnet. I'm all for accentuating the positive, but sheesh.

Hey, I'm ignorant to internet inside talk, is what I just did(answering a bunch of posts) called being a troll?

Posted by: ArmchairGM | August 28, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else feel that Shanahan's player development strategy with D Thomas is to dangle playing time like a juicy steak? Does anyone else feel that Thomas will either stop napping during meetings or stop playing for the Skins? How badly does D Thomas want that juicy steak? There are several other hungry young receivers barking and foaming at the mouth. To me, sitting Thomas down this past week sent an extremely unsubtle message.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | August 28, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

cut the bum

Posted by: DLESMonday | August 28, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Say Bye Bye Malcolm Kelly! What a WUSS. Get a shot, tape it up and play DAMMIT!

Posted by: wagenstill | August 29, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

THIS IS DT`s THIRD YEAR. HE IS STILL NOT RUNNING CONSISTENTLY GOOD ROUTES, AND DOES NOT HAVE GREAT HANDS. IT DOESN`T MATTER IF ALL YOUR WIDE OUTS ARE SMALL..IF THEY HAVE SPEED, AND GET SEPARATION. IN THE LAST SAY...30 YEARS, OUTSIDE OF R. MOSS, AND T.OWENS..WHAT BIG RECEIVERS STAND OUT?
DO NOT FORGET..THE TEAM ALSO HAS COOLEY, AND DAVIS..TWO BIG RECEIVERS..THAT WILL STREE THE DEFENSES.
IF WINNING A POSITION IS TRULY ABOUT PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD..NOT WHAT A GUY MIGHT DO 4 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD..THOMAS, AND
KELLY HAVE NOT HELPED THIS TEAM..AND NEED TO BE RELEASED IN FAVOR OF GUYS WHO MAKE PLAYS.
JIMMIE JOHNSON..WANTED SPEED, SPEED, AND SPEED IN PLAYERS ON HIS TEAMS. BRANDON BANKS HAS BEATEN CHRIS JOHNSON IN THE 40..ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. HE WILL GET BETTER CATCHING THE BALL ON PUNTS..AND IF GETS A STEP..WATCH OUT. USE HIM AS A WIDE OUT..EVEN IF HE IS NOT THE QB`s TARGET..WITH HIM BLAZING DON THE FIELD..HE WILL TAKE DEFENDERS WITH HIM.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | August 29, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

DO NOT FORGET..THE TEAM ALSO HAS COOLEY, AND DAVIS..TWO BIG RECEIVERS..THAT WILL STRESS THE DEFENSES.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | August 29, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Another key to the Skins is if the OLB's can cover TE's in space. The one Jets TD was to Keller, & you've gotta know that the Boys are going to throw the ball to Witten and M. Bennett come wk 1. Lorenzo Alexander and Andre Carter will be exploited in this sense, but this is yr 1 of a system in which they will eventually get better personnel to run it...

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 29, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse