Disclaimer: No More Access

Over the course of the next 6 months I will get loads of comments and emails asked how so and so looks at practice. I will have to write this sentence over and over, but as a pre-emptive strike I will make this attempt anyway:

Thursday was the last practice we can watch all season. That's it. Camp's over. We're over. From ehre on out it's 10 minutes to watch them stretch and that's it. I can always find out from players and coaches how someone looks, but this is it as far as personal observations. No more look-sees until mini camp next June.

As for me, I'll be doing a webchat at 1:15, so fire away with the questions.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 17, 2007; 9:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From The Grim Reaper's Mouth To Our Ears
Next: Pete Kendall

Comments

Wow. No more access. Bummer.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

how do you get to the web chat?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I guess after 5 or so 2 a days, they're ready for the season??

Posted by: nah | August 17, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

but what exactly has been positive about this organization lately?

1.Drafted L2
2. JC named the starter
3. Started contract talks with Cooley
4. Not rushing CP back for pre season games

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 10:01 AM

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Since I help bring negative energy to the blog. Here is some postivie energy.

Our view of the universe is largely determined by our experiences. It is when we are caught off guard by the spontaneity of existence that we are most apt to respond authentically, even when our feelings do not correspond with those of the multitude. Events that arouse strong emotions with us or are surprising in nature can be disquieting, for it often is in their aftermath that we discover how profoundly our histories have shaped us. The differences that divide us from our peers are highlighted in our reactions when these diverge from the mainstream, and this can be highly upsetting because it forces us to confront the uniqueness of our lives.

When our response to unexpected news or startling ideas is not the same as that of the people around us, we may feel driven by a desire to dismiss our feelings as irrational or incorrect. But reactions themselves are neither right, nor wrong. The forces that sculpted the patterns that to a large extent dictate our development are not the same forces that shaped the development of our relatives, friends, colleagues, or neighbors. There is no reason to believe that one person's reaction to a particular event is somehow more valid than another's. How we respond to the constant changes taking place in the world around us is a product of our history, a testament to our individuality, and a part of the healing process that allows us to address key elements of our past in a context we can grasp in the present.

Life's pivotal events can provide you with a way to define yourself as a unique and matchless being, but you must put aside the judgments that might otherwise prevent you from gaining insight into your distinct mode of interpreting the world. Try to internalize your feelings without categorizing or evaluating them. When you feel unsure of the legitimacy of your reactions, remember that cultural, sociological, spiritual, and familial differences can cause two people to interpret a single event in widely dissimilar ways. Examining your responses outside of the context provided by others can show you that your emotional complexity is something to be valued, for it has made you who you are today.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Another positive thing the organization has done: acquired London Fletcher

Posted by: Lisa | August 17, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Jason, thank you very much for all the great reporting during camp. I've been saying for awhile now the most overrated player on the skins roster is Jon Jansen. Is there any chance with the apparent failed experiment at guard with Todd Wade, that Wade could beat out Jansen at tackle? I really believe that Todd Wade is better at right tackle than Jon Jansen.

Posted by: Ari Nass | August 17, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Valid point, jm220. Hopefully the skins have are on the right path. Resigning Cooley is a must. Hopefully the o-line comes together so the smashmouth football of the last few games last year returns along with an improved D. With JC still getting game experience under center, we better be able to pound the ball.

Posted by: nah | August 17, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Gibbs sure is paranoid. I don't think we had much to show for those closed practices last year, but what do I know?

Looking forward to your chat today, Jason!

Posted by: Joe the Fan | August 17, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Do all NFL teams lock out the media or just some?

Posted by: NewMexSkin | August 17, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

You write that yourself jm? Awfully insightful for a football blog! Well done.

Posted by: nah | August 17, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Nah no I didn't write it myself.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

How to get to the web-chat - Go to the "Discussions" link on the home page of WAPO and find Jason's chat in the list - I think there is also a link in the sports tab

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 17, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby - This doesn't look good for the O's. Bedard might want a contract along the lines of what Buerhle (sp?) was awarded and Zambrano just received....Do you think Angelos will fork over $15-18 mil a year for Bedard?

"CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs right-handed pitcher Carlos Zambrano isn't going anywhere.

Zambrano has signed a five-year contract extension valued at $90 million, ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting."

Apologize in advance for the baseball comment.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey, just pretend you're working for a tabloid. Maybe a few posts like
"Campbell overthrows Cooley, ball deflects off former 1st round cornerback's hands, breaks Portis' knee" will make them reconsider their access policies.

Come on, use Steve Serby as your role model.

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | August 17, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Cindy or MV Dame, if you're out there, where are we relative to 75k?

Just askin'... I know this Really Matters in the big scheme of things.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby - Just when I was about to let Snyder off the hook. I take back all the positive things I said about Snyder.

Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I'm gonna show my age here. I just looked at the photo of Taylor on the front of the "Redskins" section here on the net. He's a kid(!) with barely any hair on his face. He has an earnest young guy's face not the baleful look of some older thug. I could see being friends with a guy like that and hiring him to work in my yard and stay for some burgers.

Posted by: Neil | August 17, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Even bad teams have elements to love/be excited about/worship...etc...

What I predict will be exciting/fun to watch and experience this season:

1. Rocky Mac: This dude is electric. Last season when he did play the last few games your eyes were alwayd drawn to him. Sure he will whiff some and blow a coverage every now and again....but this cat is gonna be fun to watch.

2. JC: This SOB is a gamer! thats what he proved to me last year. He loves to ball, is a leader and shakes off bad stuff easily, I think he will turn some broken plays into highlight reel fodderf this season.

3. The quest for 2000: Betts/Portis could both reach 1000 yards if they stay healthy and the line is close to last season. I think both the Browns and Steelers achieved this in the 80s (Browns Mack/Byner) and are the only 2 teams to do this. I think by week 10 this may be our only thing to root for! hahaha sob sob....

4. Cooley: Is there a funner dude to root for on the whole team?! My wife last night (who hates FB) said to me last night "Did you know there was a redskin who is engaged to a cheerleader and their love got her kicked off squad" I was like of course, how did you know...and she was all "I have my sources..."

5. Andre Carter: Something in my gut tells me this big footed freak is gettin double didgit sacks this year. Skins redemption story of the season.

OK these are mine....yours?

Posted by: chRis larry | August 17, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

>>> "Diddy, are you staying sober? Half a month down, half a month to go? Kudos to you, sir."

Sadly, no. I fell off the wagon last night. Went out on a date, drank some wine, took her home, went back to the bar, and ended up with a really cute little Irish chick with an unpronounceable name. Just what the Breakup Doctor ordered...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 03:20 AM

Diddy, you aren't off the wagon! That's the old "Met an Irish Chick" Clause!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

How did they do evil before money?... or was everything alright then?

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

1. This sounds like a paranoid Gibbs policy, not an all-publicity-is-good-publicity Snyder policy.

2. How much access do local reporters get in other cities? Especially those with paranoid coaches like Bellicheck?

3. What's so secret about Lloyd dropping a bunch of passes and the defense doing some up-downs?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 17, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

There are a gazillion reasons why we all want the 'Skins to make the Super Bowl. #3 or #7 or something on my list is "Cooley at Media Day".

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Bartering is the root of all evi!

Posted by: chris larry | August 17, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Did any of you see the interview Comcast did Sean Taylor yesterday? He came across as humble. Kelli Johnson mentioned to him that SI had voted him the "hardest hitter" and he disagreed. He said there are lots of guys that hit harder than he does. Kelli then mentioned that players fear him. His response "no one fears me...I'm a nice guy" - and he was very serious.

Posted by: Lisa | August 17, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

JC: This SOB is a gamer!

We can always count on you CL to bring the heat. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

CL, I want to play! More things to be excited about...

6. The return of Smooooooot. More fun to shout than Coooooooley.

7. Big hits from the safeties. Although I was expecting it last year at this time from Arch.

8. Sellers. Nothing like having a guy with a bad attitude opening up holes. Remember what he did against J-ville last year?

9. Moss catching everything. Hope he can stay healthy. Moss on a WR screen is excitement waiting to happen.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 17, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

All teams lock down practice...remember when Snyder's money grab made practice "for pay" and the opposing scouts all paid to watch and our gameplans were known to every opponent?!? LOCK IT DOWN!

Sean Taylor rulz...all this thug crap and "wow he is articulate" is just latent rascism....if someone stole my ATV I would pop a cap in there azz to!!!!!!

I wanna party with Sean-Tay!

Posted by: chris larry | August 17, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The players and coaches have been saying all along that The Reaper is among the nicest people and best teammates. However, it's often true that the company we keep defines who we are.

Hopefully The Reaper has excised the vermin from his life...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I post positive things when I see them, but what exactly has been positive about this organization lately?

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 17, 2007 09:50 AM

How about Santana??

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, back to the calling people racist. Just when I thought we were talking about Redskins football again.

Bad form, CL.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 17, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Signing my name everytime is going to take practice. Thanks for the heads up.

Kost is your league already full? I'm guessing so, but it's worth a shot!

This recent Sean Taylor stuff makes me hopeful that he is maturing. One of the saddest things about free agency is drafting young talent to watch them blossom elsewhere. It happens too often in Washington, be it the Wiz, the Caps, or the Skins. I'd love to see us finally hang on to someone and have them stick around.

Posted by: Junior | August 17, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"I think Sean Taylor is a nice guy. However, on game day he just turns to the dark side and become the Reaper."

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 11:07 AM

I think the punter from the Pro Bowl would agree, jm220!!

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Joe I wasn't calling out anyone on the blog.......

Posted by: chris larry | August 17, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The only thing about Taylor is that he does go for the "kill" shot a little too often instead of just making the tackle or breaking up the play...but I guess his nickname wouldn't be the Reaper if he didn't go for the kill shot. Regardless, he is still fun to watch!

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CMoney | August 17, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Joe, you beat me to it... Smoot's homecoming/redemption arc is one of my top stories for this season. Love the Smooter!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

[:-|

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

George Allen was the king of paranoid coaches. He had security guards patrolling the woods during his closed practices. He wanted to be sure that no opposing team had spying scouts in the woods.

He was also helped to build the animosity/rivalry between the cowgirls and the skins. He would meet with players like Ron McDole and Diron Talbert before a game with Dallas to come up with the derogatory statements they would make about cowgirl players.

Lots of fun!!

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | August 17, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey jm220 -

I don't want to start up an old arguement or anything, and I'm probably the last person who should talk about baseball, but I was watching PTI tonight, and Korn asked Wilbon who he would have preferred to be, Elvis or Babe Ruth. Wilbon said he'd prefer to be Babe, because not only did he live above the law, but he was a great man, who, even though he played in a time when black players were segregated from white players, he still went town to town playing against whoever wanted to play regardless of race. I got the impression he was saying Babe did a lot for black players rights in those days.

Maybe it isn't a well known fact that he did this sort of thing, but I remember you saying you didn't have too much respect for him, because he only played against whites.

Like I said I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, I don't know enough about baseball or babe Ruth to say very much. It's just that when I heard Wilbon say it, reminded me of the chat in here recently.

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

With the return of Smoot, a healthy Springs, a mature Reaper and Laron, it should now be refered to as the Primary.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

CL

now we are talking.....My question for the panel....do you feel the offense will be much improved this season....if you do then no doubt we will be a better, much more competitive team

Posted by: Old School | August 17, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Junior - Not exactly full, but have spots reserved for people, if we get an opening, I'll be sure to let you know mate!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

kost52 I didn't see Wilbon make the statement. However, it doesn't change how I feel about Ruth.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

It was widely speculated during that era that Babe Ruth was biracial. Never confirmed, but speculated.

That made him the target of a lot of negativity that has long since been forgotten.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Boo! Baseball talk on Redskins Blog!

Hooray Beer!

Posted by: Red Stripe Guy | August 17, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

cL, I hear you on the "he speaks so well!" comments regarding Taylor, but I don't think it's necessarily racisim.

Taylor spent his first few seasons avoiding the media, puting his foot in his mouth, and getting into minor and major scrapes off the field. On the field, he played with abandon. It wasn't racist for fans to assume the guy was a man of few words.

When Taylor returned to team OTA's last spring, he spoke with the media and shocked those of us who were paying attention with nuanced and forthcoming responses. Now it's what I expect from the man.

On another note, Easterbrook has written an excellent column sympathizing with Mike Vick. I urge all of you to read it:

Posted by: mugamack | August 17, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

THIS DAY IN RI HISTORY

(2007 NOTE: If you want to save yourself some time, don't read this. Please read the thread you're currently in to find out what Jasno wrote about on this day in 2006. But, if you must...)

August 17, 2006 - "Practice? We're Talking About Practice?" So reads the title of Jasno's newest thread. He explains:

"This afternoon's session is the last the media shlubs get to watch with their own eyes ... the next [webchat] is 1:30 Friday ... From here on out we'll get to see the boys stretch and shag some punts, then we get the boot after about 20 minutes. And trust me, there ain't much to see in those first 20 minutes."

So don't be asking him no stinking questions about who looked good today, no matter what year this is. Capisce?

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

O'G' Allen was rite!

I'll start:

Tony Romo's fingers are made of twinkies.

Barber should consider velcro now that it's leagal to tackle by weave.

Terrell hasn't said much since everyone figured out he sucks.

Ok - I know those were terrible, but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling!

-discuss...

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Nate Dogg

74,782

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

O'G' Allen was rite!

I'll start:

Tony Romo's fingers are made of twinkies.

Barber should consider velcro now that it's legal to tackle by weave.

Terrell hasn't said much since everyone figured out he sucks.

Ok - I know those were terrible, but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling!

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Marion Barber III was my magnum opus :(

Posted by: Mr. Ray | August 17, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

jm220 - No worries mate, I don't know enough about it to even have an opinion, it just surprised me to hear it. And there were beers involved, maybe I heard it wrong haha!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

...this from the Department of Redundancy Department.

...sorry kiids.

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Dik - Ted Koppel IS a robot!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Mug:

Maybe I spoke out of place about Taylor...

Easterbrook I have zero respect for, more so for his non-football writing although I find his football writing to be a complete bore. He is seriously one of my least favorite writers working...in any genre

Posted by: chRIS Larry | August 17, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The now-rare Double Post Move. In its heyday, that move was responsible for 15.3% of all comments on the blog.

Rarely seen now that defenses have adjusted to it, but wow what a tool it was back in the day!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Kost,

If one of those spots is saved for me, let me know. If not, no worries.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I remember them!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 11:50 AM

No kidding! I deliberately posted my 11:52pm post twice, but it only came out once!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Neil, did you really say you could see yourself "hiring [Sean Taylor] to work in my yard"? How old are you?

I guess you couldn't see a baby-faced, earnest looking guy like him doing your taxes or checking your prostate, huh?

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Great link mugamack.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

for a minute there I thought we were talking about receiver routes!! hahahahah.

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

So did Carlos Rogers!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Not since losable type replaced Carlos Rogers as blogmaster have we been able to exploit the double-post. We'll have to get to 88,888 the old-fashioned way.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

cHris Larry, you might oughta check out that Easterbrook Vick column. It's damn good.

I like the dude's TMQ writing anyway, but his contrarian, nitpicky, superior preachiness has never been better suited to a story.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Just about 200 to 75K...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

kost52 I am saying it right here and right now. Rogers will have a good year. It takes time for CB to become play makers in the NFL. We all have praised Bailey, but a lot of you forgot he wasn't great his first couple of years.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Cyn Cyty, you were right about hitting it today. And we're doing it easily too.

Hmmm...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I skimmed it....it sucked....

F TMQ

Posted by: chRIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Awesome LH- Gives me an idea...

After Sean Taylor hits you, you'll wish you had only had a prostate exam.
And with that, good morning blog (and good tomorrow afternoon to the drunken Aussie)

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

And CL you did not speak out of place about Taylor. It's one thing to be surprised when a person who never speaks talks. It's another to be surprised that when that person talks that they are actually articulate or don't speak in street vernacular.

10-6 baby!!!!! (my contribution to harmony)

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd love it if you were right jm220! I reckon if he caught 2 or 3 more of those catchable balls, he'd have a much better reputation than he currently has.

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

10 wins is the floor

Posted by: PC chuck | August 17, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Good tomorrow afternoon? It's 2am here! haha But you're right, I am drunk!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I meant tomorrow morning to you Kost, not afternoon.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Enjoyed the Easterbrook piece. FCL!

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ah, you caught it. And we got 3 extra posts out of the deal.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Chris Larry. Easterbrook is awful.

That article was par for the course. At no point did it make any sense at all.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 17, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Lying about what you did is worse than what you did."

Seems to hit the nail on the head when comes to the court of public opinion.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Make that 4!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I like 10 wins. I'm thinkin' 8, but love the optimism.

CRog could be markedly better as the linebackers WILL be heard from this season!

Posted by: Dik | August 17, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

11-5. Losses against the Eagles, Cowboys, Patriots, Bears, and Bucs.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

9-7. And a wild card playoffs

Posted by: 9 wins | August 17, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Easterbrook lost me when he brought up the dook rape case. That's so easy but the cases aren't even comparable. The Feds actually have evidence. In the dook case, there was little or no evidence and what evidence there was was actually exculpatory.

No sympathy for Vick unless and until he is exonerated.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Did you know that last year, Seattle was overtime away from Making the NFC Championship game. They had the 19th ranked offense, and the 19th ranked defense.

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

While tempted to explain my severe dislike for Easterbrook (in addition to the fact that he is D-U-L-L) and go point for point with his always "hip contrarian" vibe....I am resisting b/c it would be a whole can a worms.......hint: (evolution debate)

9-7 just miss playoffs......but I hope 10-6 win NFC east in a street fight.....

Posted by: chRIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Kost,

Its all about schedule. The Seahawks had a cake schedule last year.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

LH-

I agree connecting Duke case to Vick shows a sever lack of intelligence...

Posted by: chRIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Mugamack...

I agree that that the public has already convicted him as being guilty before he receives his due process. Media heads in general should refrain from making such judgemental comments or determinsations because they should understand the level of influence and power they possess in swaying the opinion of society in general... but this is how life is now with the media. They're impact on Government and Politics is scary!

I guess we'll see what happens with Vick... I won't be sympathetic, because in the end he made his own bed!

Posted by: E in VB | August 17, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

F Darwin! F Evolution! F Alternatives to Evolution! FCL!

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

bangkokben - That's right, that's kind of my point. We don't need to have a top 5 ranked offense, and defense, to make the playoffs.

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Predictions?... Duh!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Starting next week practice is closed to everyone. Today they have a closed walkthrough and that's it.---J

The arrogance of the NFL is amazing. This crud, the 45 second restrictions on the use of videotape, the season ticket stuff they pulled with the Post, forcing cameramen to wer billboard vests while working etc...

Sure the league is riding high, but when it trips stumbles and falls, I hope the Media remember the treatment they've gotten, and crush them. Payback's a You know what....

Posted by: Corkczar | August 17, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Bangkokben:

And a hearty good day to you as well sir!

Posted by: chrIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"POSTED 10:07 a.m. EDT, August 17, 2007

PHILLIPS, PEACE ADMIT TO KILLING DOGS WITH VICK

In a statement of facts signed in connection with the guilty pleas entered on Friday morning by Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips, Peace and Phillips admit to participating with Vick in the killing of eight dogs in April 2007, according to ESPN.

In our view, this means that Virginia authorities now have the green light to proceed with an indictment of Vick on eight counts of animal cruelty. Under Virginia law, he'd face up to 40 years behind bars, in addition to any federal prison term that he serves.

The alleged involvement in killing dogs is, in our view, proof positive that Vick will never be able to return to the NFL.

ESPN also reports that Phillips immediately was taken into custody because he failed a drug test while free on bond.

"

Posted by: 4th via PFT.com | August 17, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

CL,

You rock! Responds in the opposite spirit. No one to fight must go to bed.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 17, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with evolution? If it wasn't for evolution, I'd probably have a hairy chest!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

BAck to yesterday's discussion which I am suprised no one brought up today?

"Broncos having trouble dealing DT Warren?
While on their weeklong, two-city preseason trip to San Francisco and the Cowboys' complex, the Broncos kept Gerard Warren in Denver because they were confident of trading him within a day or two. Instead, the Broncos have found virtually no trade market for Warren and it may be another week to 10 days before there is a final resolution. If Warren isn't moved soon, the Broncos may begin to think about keeping him. The Broncos are trying to make teams understand the financial benefits of acquiring Warren through trade instead of waiting for his release. Here's the argument: The Broncos have already paid $2 million to Warren this year - a $1 million roster bonus and a $1 million workout bonus - which would leave his new team with only a $595,000 salary tab. (He has another $2 million listed under all-but-impossible-to-reach incentives.) -- Denver Post

"

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

BB:

Than I shall wish you good night!

Posted by: chrIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't get how teams expect to trade dudes they hint they are gonna cut?!?!

Even the Skins know that now.....

whoops....did I jinx...File that one under "Famous Last words" expect this headline soon

"Skins trade Santana Moss and Chris Cooley to Bronocos for DT Warren and 2015 8th round pick"

Posted by: chrIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Did You Know?
The Eagles were 5-6 in McNabb's 11 starts last season, and they're only 9-11 in his last 20 starts since the 2004 Super Bowl season. -- Philadelphia Inquirer
"

SO, I guess having McNabb in the line up might be a good thing after all, unless 3/4 of those 9 wins came from us.......

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paulj | August 17, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Not only that 4th, but the QB who replaced him last year, is now gone!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, Champ's bugging me to go to bed, so I'm off, hopefully I see you guys around game time. Have yourselves a great weekend!!

Posted by: kost52 | August 17, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Tru Dat 4th...

McNabb carves up skins....regardless of what he does to rest of league

Posted by: chrIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I think mcnabb is an overrated qb. His passing accuracy is avg on a good day. He does always seem to have his way with the skins though. 3/4 is probably not that far off!!

Posted by: nah | August 17, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

With the facts about Warren, I would take him for a pick no higher than the 6th Round which would turn into a conditional 5th IF he plays a certain amount of downs for the year........

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Does Shanahan know about Champ and Kost?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ahh. Something to argue about!

Newest predicitions on who will make the 53 Man roster and the 8 man practice squad...

Discuss....

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I had to read Easterbrook to see why he believed Vick deserved sympathy. That's a few minutes of my life I want back. It didn't get better after the dook case comparison. He says that Vick has received poor legal advice (never mind that he's represented by one of the top defense attorney's in the country) because Vick didn't proclaim his innocence. In with his next breath, he says that Vick should have been advised early on to hold a press conference where, according to Easterbrook, he would have essentially admitted he committed a crime. Huh?

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

LMGO! 4-12.

Too funny...

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm not much of a fan of Easterbrook's either. But Chuck Klosterman? Genius.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

He deserves sympathy because he made his own matters worse? Innocent or guilty that's just plain stupid.

And the last thing I want is Vick, as part of his punishment, speaking out against dogfighting. "Dogfighting is wrong, because I got caught at it". Best legal advice ever is just STFU.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

This link is from the new issue of Sports Illustrated. So wrong. So very wrong.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Scarface than Evans.

Lorenzo's got a blackbelt in crazy.

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

After watching the HBO piece on Dog fighting, Vick prob lost all and any sympathy that he had from supporters.

Even though it is unrelated to Vick's case, I never knew people would steal pets and let them get chewed on until they die or are almost dead. That was heart wrenching since I did have dogs in my household for a good decade. But, I also know that every dog fighter does not steal dogs...

I do have a problem with that (stealing helpless dogs that belong to others as just pets and not raised to fight), but not dogfighting 'in general'. I hope I didn't provoke anyone. Just writing it since some peeps were discussing Vick...

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Is this what passes for news today? I said this four years ago and had to quit my job. McNabb is overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well.

Posted by: Rush | August 17, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

LH-

I agree connecting Duke case to Vick shows a sever lack of intelligence...

Posted by: chRIS Larry | August 17, 2007 12:21 PM

Not really CL. A lot of people thought the guys were guilty without seeing any evidence in the case. And the same goes for Vick. It seems the Fed's are trying to scare him in taking a deal. If there case was so strong why not come with all the charges at once? To say take a deal or we are going to come with more charges is bs to me.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

OK...

Posted by: chrIS Larry | August 17, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I know I said let's play nice today. But please let me pull the hammer out of Rush.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

jm220, it's not the same. The prosecutor in the dook case had no physical evidence of a crime. The DNA evidence exonerated the three guys but he kept pursuing the case. In the Vick case, there is an abundace of physical and circumstantial evidence. The feds brought all of the charges they had at the time of the first indictment. They haven't stopped investigating. Their continued investigation uncovered evidence of another crime. And they can't scare you if they don't have anything on you.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

LH if I am not mistaken the DNA came after the indictment.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Man, I wish Jason La Canfora would get off his butt and start covering the practices! What kind of 'insider' blog is this anyway? This is ridiculous! I need to know how things are looking in practice! Come on already, Lazy!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I just don't understand the animosity that McNabb gets. Rush, the Philadelphia head of the NAAC P, many Philly fans? Makes no sense. He's a helluva QB - a bit injury prone of late - but still great when healthy. Rush's stance that the media is just pumping him up because they want a successful black QB is ridiculous, as if there's some sort of conspiracy IMHO. Not that I should really be shocked at anything that comes out of Limbaugh's mouth. If Philly doesn't want McNabb I'd take him on the skins in a SJKing second.

Posted by: skinswest | August 17, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Duke players = white = innocent
Michael Vick = black = guilty

Posted by: duh | August 17, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

So JLaC, who looked good stretching today?

Posted by: skinswest | August 17, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

chat's on fellas.......

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

If I had to cover 20 minutes of stretching, I'm going to the place where the Redskinettes are. Just saying.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Nope. They did a DNA test to the ENTIRE TEAM before charging anyone. Despite no positive DNA matches, Nifong went forward with the indictment.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 17, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Duke players = white = innocent
Michael Vick = black = guilty

Posted by: duh | August 17, 2007 01:18 PM

OJ = black = innocent

Posted by: give it a rest | August 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Joe. I stand corrected. But they still got an indictment.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

you should chat on here

Real or fake

Posted by: Debbie wall | August 17, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Far northern reaches of Canada: Who you got in a street fight....Sean Taylor or Dexter Manley?

Jason La Canfora: Where in Our Home and Native Land? I love me some Canada. That's one of the things I miss most about not covering hockey anymore - expense paid trips to the Great White North, especially back in the day when our dollar was clubbing your dollar like a baby seal ...
Anyway, my money's on the grim reaper. I think Dexter has a little mroe softy in him that Sean, where at a certain point with your eyes hanging out he'd help rush you to the hospital, where as Sean, man, I just don't don't know.

LMGO!! Long live the Reaper

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Lots of LG questions on the chat. To be expected, I suppose.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 17, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

WOW Someone must be smokin something writing this in JLC's current chat!
"Manassas, Va,: I am thinking that Pinkston will be the starter once he picks up enough of the offense. I think he is the closest thing to a legit 2nd WR on the roster. Who do you think gets the slot job between Lloyd and A.R.E?

Jason La Canfora: Wow, you must think even less fo this group of wideouts than I do.
31 other teams pretty much figured Pinkston had plated his last game. If he becoems a starter here that would be the story of the year - not only for his personal triumph, but for the complete waste of resources the Redskins unk into the WR position. "

Posted by: E in VB | August 17, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"as if that still makes they aboe repreoach or some kidn of first-calls operation"

From Jasno's chat. Can anyone translate this? LMGO

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Man, these chats really kill our numbers, huh?

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Todd Stinkston a #2 WR??? That must have been an Eagle fan asking that question or one of Todd Stinkston's relatives.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

From the chat about Tank Johnson:

...he was way out of shape to begin with after destroying vending machines in jail.

I guess the Skins won't be signing Diet Pepsi Machine any time soon, either...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

MV - I'm sticking with the blog, the questions beging asked in the chat have already been addressed in Jasno's blog entries and wapo articles. Props to Jasno for his complete coverage and reporting thus far in preseason.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, CC. However, I did submit a little question of my own so I want to see if he posts it...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The chat is BORING!!!! Janso no IPOD comentary?! That was the best part of the last one....

Posted by: chrIS Larry | August 17, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Jasno was at his typographical best. I don't think he's performed to that level ever. aWy to og udde.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

My iPod commentary du jour is that "The Plain White T's" suck.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Plain white t's on wet, busty females, however...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Viva le seals!

Posted by: Only Jasno could say this | August 17, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

MV...

I submitted 3 questions myself, but nothing so far... I'm getting dissed.

Posted by: E in VB | August 17, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

That was probably Jack who asked Jasno not to comment about clubbing seals. His kids must have been on the chat as well. I guess Jasno should have inserted a "SJK" after his comment...

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

BAM! I'm in there...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Jason La Canfora: I miss it too. I am at home today - The Park is closed to the media - and had Rocco draped over one arm for part of this chat, so I kept it quiet hoping he would sleep.
Next week I'll get er cranked up again.

That's dedication you slubs

Posted by: SAY IT AINT SO ADE JIMOH | August 17, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 02:15 PM

LMGO! Play nice

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

yo dame you made it! good ? too!

rocco on are....one handed typing...could be why typos are way up

Posted by: cHris larry | August 17, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm holding a wet t-shirt contest tonight, just to make sure that what MV Dame says is true. Just practicing the Scientific Method and all that stuff.

Too bad sfskin isn't here...she could explain to me why my stock portfolio is tanking and who to blame for it.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Joe. I stand corrected. But they still got an indictment.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 01:28 PM

jm220, you can't make this square peg fit in a round hole. He got an indictment because he did not submit the exculpatory DNA evidence to the grand jury. In fact, once he had this information, there was no reason for continue pursuing an indictment until he had some concrete evidence, especially given what he knew about the complainant. He admittedly let his quest to get re-elected cloud his judgment. He violated several canons of legal ethics, and as a result he has been disbarred. There is no such charge of prosecutorial misconduct in the Vic case. It's not the same as the dook case in any way, shape or form.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Has anyone among your informants discussed the Priest Holmes situation? If KC cuts him do the Redskins pick him up?

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe JLaC didn't get the Joker reference, what is the world coming to? Even I knew that one, ick.

Is it football season yet? Someone please say yes.

Mr. Joker, you make such beautiful things, ohh, you're so powerful, and PURPLE ohh I love purple.

Posted by: Megskin | August 17, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"Where does he get such wonderful toys?"

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Finally, Queen Bee...

You're here.

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

LH this can go back and forth all day long. I am just going to wait and see what the outcome is. Not just judge base on what the media is feeding me. I wasn't in the courtroom so I don't know what evidence they have. And Vick wasn't able to defend himself to the grand jury. So, I am just going to wait and let it play out.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"This town needs an enema!"

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

welcome back megskin!!!

great batman quote P Diddy...

Posted by: cHris larry | August 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm dying for real football to begin, too. Enough of this preseason cr*p...

(SJK)

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure anyone has thought about this ... but let's throw it out anywho ...

Given the legendary Redskin's conversions of HB's to WRs (to refresh out collective memories: Bobby Mitchell, Charley Taylor, Art Monk) ....

Could a Priest Holmes be converted to a wide out, given his experience, pass catching abilities and knowledge of Al Saunder's offense?

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Here's the argument: The Broncos have already paid $2 million to Warren this year - a $1 million roster bonus and a $1 million workout bonus - which would leave his new team with only a $595,000 salary tab. (He has another $2 million listed under all-but-impossible-to-reach incentives.) -- Denver Post "

The writers at the Denver Post sound like they are on the Broncos payrol most of the time. What a bunch of tools.

Anyone who has complaints about alleged "homer" coverage by the WaPo should be forced to read a year's worth of the Denver Post.

Posted by: F Denver | August 17, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Great to have you back in the house Megskin

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You know, I'm realizing now that when I apologize to Jack's kids, it's not because I'm cursing. It's because they're father is Jack...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a *bat* gets all of my press? This town needs an enema!

Posted by: etrod | August 17, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe because their father is Jack...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm always in the "innocent until proven guilty" camp as well.

But anyone who understands the legal system in this country will tell you that a Federal indictment is significantly more difficult to obtain and therefore much more serious than an indictment at a state or local level. The Feds rarely fool around, and they rarely bring spurious claims to court. That alone makes the Duke and Vick cases incongruent in my mind.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 02:33 PM

Oh man you guys. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"If Philly doesn't want McNabb I'd take him on the skins in a SJKing second."

I would hope that Joe Gibbs, Al Saunders, Joe Bugel and the all the rest here would second that motion. No reason to rush Jason Campbell then.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Was that the real Megskin on the chat? Seemed like a tame question.

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | August 17, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I should read before I post.

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | August 17, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I'm committing some sort of sin by being here before the actual season starts. Oh well. I'll have to just live with it.

Anyways thanks all, great to be back!

Posted by: Megskin | August 17, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I know our defense i much improved over last year's, at least in terms of talent/depth - the question is will we be able to stop the long ball this year. Last year we were sh*tty (SJK). You can blame the arch, but was it really his fault? He did suck, and Springs going down didn't help. Was it the scheme? What do ya'll think?

Posted by: Dman | August 17, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If blogging here before the season is wrong, I don't want to be right...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

87 to 75K

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

267 on this thread is the magic poster...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

And it looks like it's all up to me now...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Part of me just wants to lurk and pounce on 75K, like a tiger waiting for his prey. But I think I already laid claim to a milestone post back in the day, so maybe it should be someone else's turn.

I nominate Jack.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Was that the real Megskin on the chat? Seemed like a tame question.

It's still preseason--I'm obviously not "in shape" yet.

Posted by: Megskin | August 17, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Or perhaps one of Jack's kids could do the honors?

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wait! Wait! I get called out yesterday for pointing out Jack double standards. And nothing is said to guys. I am leaving and never coming back! Who the F am I kidding. I love this blog. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Is the infamous poster, skippy, one of Jack's kids? Sorry that was wrong...I apologize Lord.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm still here...

Dman.. I think it was a combination of the scheme and lack of quality personnel on the field... IMO - Once a teammate starts to fear for another making mistakes, they begin to try and cover up or compensate for another's mistakes/weaknesses and the whole thing went in the Sh1tter! (SJK)... That whole cover 2 zone thing seemed to be a mess b/c the CB's would let a guy go thinking they had coverage by the safety and the Safeties and CB's rarely seemed on the same page.

But then again, it makes you wonder how we played well against New Orleans, but could not reproduce those results again... ?

Posted by: E in VB | August 17, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It's still preseason--I'm obviously not "in shape" yet.

Posted by: Megskin | August 17, 2007 02:47 PM

Yup, not enough firewood in the pile to light the fire big enough to see from space just yet, eh? I'm sure the team will give you something to stoke the boilers on, soon enough.

Welcome back, Megskin - hope it was a nice hibernation!

Posted by: FlimFlam | August 17, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

jm - I'm hitting myself right now for all the Jack comments, I'll stop now.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, since we've hit a bit of a lull, and now we're talking about "love" ... I think I'll take this opportunity to let everyone know that tomorrow two very attractive females are coming to the Island for a visit.

Needless to say, I will not be posting too much until Monday afternoon or so...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

E- Totally agree.

I'm very excited to see L2 on the field, but also a little nervous. hopefully he and Taylor will bond and the CB's will be on the same page. But when it comes down to it: He's a rook

Posted by: Dman | August 17, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the team will give you something to stoke the boilers on, soon enough.

I hope not. Just win, baby. Just muffuggin win!

Posted by: Megskin | August 17, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Is this the hammer jm220 uses for jack's kids?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

4-12, that is classic!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What MV didn't mention is that his visitor(s) is the same woman he was entertaining (?) last weekend, and he has finally realized that she has at least two personalities that are acceptable.

Posted by: The MV Enquirer | August 17, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Is this the hammer jm220 uses for jack's kids?"

Hahaha

Posted by: Dman | August 17, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Going to a wedding in Pittsburgh this weekend. A Saturday night wedding! During the game! They're a bunch of Steelers fans! I should wear Darrell Green's jersey to the whole damn thing!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Not true. I'm ashamed to tell inquiring minds that the woman from a week or two ago is not so attractive. I think she and her issues would have been that much easier to deal with had she been easier on the eyes...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pumped about L2 as well... That hit on Collins last weekend got my juices flowing! Just watching Collins trying to get up after that and shake it off... I hope Greg Williams does truly let some of these guys play and get after it, like he said he'll be doing. I can see it now...

L2 going for the Tony Homo (or LBM) kill on a delayed blitz... BAM!
Then the Reaper picks off the errant forced pass (to avoid the sack) and he takes it all the way to the house!

If the line holds up and the CB's come to play again this year, we could be having some serious fun this year! DAMN, I can't wait...

Posted by: E in VB | August 17, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

By the by, where are Nate Dogg, Cyn Cyty, and others? They're going to miss 75K...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pete Placer | August 17, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Dman

E in VB is on the money, bad players, injury, chemistry had to use schemes not suited to players to try and cover up, you name it.....but that was an aberation, this coach and D has a track record and it will be much improved this year....attacking and aggressive from the word go.

Posted by: Old School | August 17, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

4-12 you know that was totally wrong. LMGO!

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Red Sox traded outfielder Wily Mo Pena to the Washington Nationals for a player to be named later, the Red Sox announced Friday.

The Red Sox also gave the Nationals cash considerations in the trade.

"

I this good or bad?

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

From the very end of the previous thread and definitely worth repeating -

"Nate in the PDX:

I guess the question is, would he have developed a different persona if not for the ATV/gun situation in Miami, and all the other press attention when he was a rookie? Did he retreat into a shell because of all that, or was he always kind of introverted?

-----------------------
In an article last year or so, Taylor's grandmother said Taylor would be in the house and she wouldn't even know it. She'd look--and he'd be in his room reading a book."

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 17, 2007 01:17 PM

Posted by: Server Redux | August 17, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

4th how are you holding up brother?

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I think it was all of what happened the first couple of years... Skipping the Rookie Symposium, Miami ATV/Gun altercation, spitting in so&so's (who was that by the way) face... all 3 of those got him off to a bad start and the impression was made! I'm sure by him not being available to the media, that made it all worse... as if he had something to hide from everyone...

Posted by: E in VB | August 17, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

4th - Wily Mo Pena's career has been a huge disappointment, scouts expected him to be more of a power hitter. However, I think it's a good trade for the Nationals. Less pressure on him in DC than in Boston, he may play better in a new environment.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone here ever made it through anything called a "symposium"?

Symposium is Greek for "head to bar at 2:30"

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone here ever made it through anything called a "symposium"?

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 03:31 PM

Nope. Not me.

Posted by: Sean Taylor | August 17, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for the P Diddy symposium on wet t-shirt contests...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I just got off the phone with Fox 5 News. I am trying to get this story out and make sure it dosen't get pushed under the rug.

It's hard JM220, but I understand I gotta keep pushing on. That was my 1st blood, though. So I will make sure justice, if neccesary, is served.

I have a story tell, but I can't say it with certainty until the Medical Examiner completes the investigation.

I'm getting itchy, though brother.....

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

MV - speaking of wet t-shirt contest...here is one of my favorite places to go on Sunday afternoon's.

Disclaimer: **Not appropriate to browse through while at work**

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Two votes for Red Eye's!

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

We might have to schedule an RI happy hour there...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Ahmad- I can't talk on the blog, but shoot me an email at skinsfan4and12@yahoo.com if you need any assistance getting hold of various "media" to get your story out.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

All you lurkers, please be informed that 266 is now the new magic number. 2-6-6.

Thank you.

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

4-12 can't talk on the blog.... that puts us back at 22,097!

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 17, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

4 -12 - Just sent it. Thanks!

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

4th you have the number brother. Use it anytime you need to talk.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

JC RULZ
ROMO DRULZ

Posted by: cHris larry | August 17, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JM.

I meant to ask you (trying to lighten up the situation)...

Did anyone get your name mixed up with the DC area sniper?

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"Ferguson's frustrating stint with Packers to end soon

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Wide receiver Robert Ferguson's injury-marred career with the Green Bay Packers is over, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice Thursday night.

He said the team has decided to cut ties with the seven-year veteran, although he didn't say how that would be accomplished.

Ferguson, a second-round selection of the Packers in the 2001 draft, wasn't on the practice field for the second of Thursday's two practices.

"Robert will no longer be a Packer. We're going to go another direction," McCarthy said.

Asked if Ferguson would be traded, McCarthy responded, "Possible."

The team also could release Ferguson, who is under contract through 2008.

"We're actually talking to a few teams about Robert. That's where we're at with him," McCarthy said. "So, we asked him not to practice this evening. We'll have a decision on exactly what his future is in the morning."
"

Any chance one of those team could be us? I thought I saw potential in him??

Posted by: 4th | August 17, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

4th - He sounds like another David Patten. Lots of talent but can't stay on the field.

Posted by: CC | August 17, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

4th- Got it.

cload- LMGO!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

265

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 01:23 PM

P Diddy, too funny. Is it out of line to get sffan in that tshirt contest?

Dman, I think our Cb situation is shaky. I like Springs but not sure he can last 20+ games a season. Rogers, I thought would be a shut down guy when drafted - but that guy hasn't shown up yet. I still have faith in him. Smoot, well, he is what he is. Not great, not bad and certainly better than what we had last year. One thing about Smoot, I think he'll keep the guys loose and this may help.

Adding LFletcher should be the big thing this season. Maybe getting L2 to help in the safey zone. Maybe getting a healthy MWashington back. IMHO, we need production out of the front four, whomever that may be. I'm still not sold on the 'better coverage will mean more sacks'. I could easily be served wrong - how could we have less sacks than last year.

Lastly, disappointed I wasn't invited to the wet shirt contest.

Posted by: Hbrg Fan | August 17, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

4th, Wily Mo is just not a good player. He'd probably make a great linebacker, he's got crazy strength, but, unless its right in his hammer zone, he's a K waiting to happen. The Sox traded him, and are calling up a rookie who just hit AAA ball this year. Thats telling...

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | August 17, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes 4th they did. I was still living in the area at the time working for a sign language company. It was crazy. When it first broke on the news I was thinking damn am I blacking out and taking people out. Then realize when a lot of the shooting was taken place I was at work. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

jm, don't go to the dark side. Stay away from the dark side...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I am good MV. But man that was a close one. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd be hooked on painkillers after a tiger mauled me, too!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

MV- Got about an hour left at the office. Let's take this thing to 75K! (doing my best Nate impression)

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Not there yet? Come on, folks!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

I would like to know if anyone at the Sean Taylor interview flinched when he stated he was "225".

Posted by: Forrest | August 17, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Well well, speak of the dev...er, pdx!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Did we hit the 75K yet?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, 4-12. Nate, we've been dying our guts out up here. Slow as molasses it's been...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I need to get a life. My mind started wandering after just a short while away from my desk, guessing how close we might be to 75k.

Until I get a life, though, hail to the blog! Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

We're like 20 away..

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

And happy Friday, everybody!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

If people would stop calling me, I could get more blog, I mean work, done!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I had to "subscribe" to the NFL network to watch the Redskins.

Worth the money though...GO SKINS!!!

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Happy Friday, indeed. Friday means tomorrow is Saturday. And Saturday means "company"...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll crawl past 75k today, then kick into gear due to the 'game' tomorrow night and blow right past 77,777 by Tuesday.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

The "core bloggers" are blogging their guts out, that's for sure.

How many apples do you think sfskin got?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Any bet on who is going to post the final post to put us over the 75K

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I should bring the "Hail to the Redskins" song to the wedding in Pitt this weekend, and have the dj play it for all those steelers fans at the reception. Yeah, that would endear me to the wife's side of the family.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Does "company" mean what I think it means?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Nate I think we need to send you through a 10 step program. lol Panties

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Does "apples" mean what I think it means?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, sir, it does...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

URGENT BULLETIN
WE ARE OFFICIALLY 13 POSTS AWAY FROM 75K.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Where's Cindy for this big moment?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Are there going to be fireworks?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Am I going to be caller number 12 again.

SJK

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Closer than that, Cyn...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I think there should at least be a whistle or something

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

There are fireworks tonight on Martha's Vineyard. Seriously.

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Jasno can tell us how Jason Campbell looked in practice today. I'm dying to know.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Gotta find a way for 75K to simply be "Panties"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm right here!!!! This is very exciting.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Panties!

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

There not letting The Reaper anywhere near JC are they?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

That's it! 4-12 you got 75K at 5:42 pm!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations!

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

4-12, YOU ARE THE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! 75K!!!!
I missed being the 75k-th poster by one. That would have been a real DOH! move. You guys are terrific.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The 75,000th RI post...

Gotta find a way for 75K to simply be "Panties"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 05:42 PM

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Has Jasno prepared a statement for the big event?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff. Nice work, 4-12.

May your nickname be rendered invalid by week eleven of the new season.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Major kudos to 4-12 for getting panties in the 75k-th post and to the viscount for narrowly missing.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Well done people!!!

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Woo-Hoo!!!!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 05:37 PM

You could shoot the groom in the nads with a high-velocity paintball gun.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

All right now. 88,888 here we come! I mean, right after 77,777, of course...

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Just happy we pulled through all that negativity to have a pretty positive run up to the Milestone.

*sniffle* I only wish Redcoat were here to share in the glory with us.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully my identity crisis comes much earlier than that Nate.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Have we heard from 4-12 since the big post? I fear he may be doing a victory dance that is getting him fired at this very moment. On the upside...more time for the blog!

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Whew...there he is. I think I'm going to focus on 99,999....

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

On another matter, I saw a movie last night that has changed my life in a very deep and profound way. Yes, "Superbad."

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I just smaked my boss on the butt and gave her a "good game"

I dont think she knows about the blog...man is she grouchy

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I don't want to be greedy.

5-5 after week eleven -- bye in week four -- would probably feel pretty good, and would be right in line with my middling expectations (which are different than my delusions of grandeur) for the season.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Tell your boss, "Loosen up, baby."

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm seeing Superbad tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Superbad looks hysterical.

I'll take that at week 11 Nate. Then Derrick Blaylock can tell Todd Collins to "give me the damn ball" and he'll lead us to the playoffs on his back!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

So here's the deal, party people:

If we hit 77,777 by 3:00 am, East Coast time, on Wednesday the 22nd, then we're on pace to hit 88,888 by Skins Opening Game on Sept 9th.

This 88,888 race will be called The Boren Penultimatum.

100K is still The Boren Ultimatum. I expect we'll hit that sometime during the Skins bye week -- around Sept 26-27 to be slightly more precise... at the latest!

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Or is it Mookie Blaylock?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

You know how Colonels can be...no sense of humor. I want a Colonel like the ones on MASH.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Not having preseason games on live is going to make it hard for us non-DC types to help out. Sad, sad, sad...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 'Dame! It's good to have a roadmap...particularly one with my name all over it!

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If Im not mistaken I cant see the Skins game until Sunday on the NFL network

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor spoke, and the market went up 2%. Coincidence?! I think not.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

For those who can't see it, we'll just have to be particularly descriptive.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

My brother-in-law and I have a bet on the season. He is a die-hard Cowboys fan and I of course live for the Skins. Lose has to get the other team's emblem tattooed on them.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Cyn City- I talked to Ahmad about getting his story out when he's ready, via broadcast media...maybe you can point him in the right direction at the Post for the print side.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Be sure to describe the most intricate details of Stephon Heyer's footwork and technique. Otherwise, we won't know whether to hang him in effigy or praise him as the second coming of Joe "TheatreVision" Jacoby.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 17, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

They won't be showing any of the games up here in Patriot country, either. The only phrase that immediately comes to mind is 'sucks a**'...

(SJK)

Posted by: MV Dame | August 17, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Did everyone fall asleep

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 17, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

For my 75K-th post, I'd like a Chris Cooley autographed "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" CD. Any chance you could make that happen, Jasno?

Here's to no injuries in the game Saturday. Until Monday, HAIL!...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers was just interviewed on Sportsnet and I noticed he has some MAJOR guns...hope that helps his hands....

Posted by: Lisa | August 17, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

if you will trade us anything, ANYthing for ferguson, we will be happy. please, oblige.

Posted by: pack4life | August 17, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

here is a positive: Brandon LLoyd was injured and is now a third receiver and soon on the waiver wire!!!

Posted by: bethesdaboy | August 17, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

OK, really leaving now. Sorry Barno, for picking on you in my last post. HAIL...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

You could shoot the groom in the nads with a high-velocity paintball gun.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 05:47 PM

LMGO! Cyn Cyty I can't wait to go and see that movie. I saw Lisa walking down the hallway and she had these really tight jeans on. Here G string was showing and she turn and look at me. I said it's 6:47. Jigga Jigga yeah.

But dude she likes Spring. He has a six pack since like 6 grade. Classic

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

hows this for a ringing endorsement: despite reading you'z guyz's constant lloyd-griping, i'd love a straight up trade, him for ferguson, contract n all. ferguson epitomizes a lazy, stoner, underachiever.

Posted by: pack4life | August 17, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Are they showing any games in the DC area tonight?

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Jm, they are showing MN vs Jets tonight in DC.

Posted by: Lisa | August 17, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Lisa. They are showing the same game here. I really want to see how the Eagles look. T.O. has already started in Dallas. It's going to come down between us and the Eagles.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

mcnabb looks healthy, completing passes all over. beating up on carolina 10-0. they are still the class of the division

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

D. McNabb, (PHI)
138 yds, 6-9
0 tds, 0 int
vs CAR
0:27 1st Qtr

Wow! I guess really is going to come down to us and the Eagles.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Alright jm220. You never met a muscle you didn't like. Go look at TO, then look at your receiver corps.

The reason TO is NOT going to blow-up off the field this year is that he already has what he wants...constant attention. The way to make people like TO go berzerk is to ignore them.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Alright jm220. You never met a muscle you didn't like

LMGO! Smack you are going to be asking by game 4. Why in God's green earth did we pick up T.O.? LOL

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

ESPN and Fox News is reporting that Donaghy giving 20 names of other referees that gambled on games. Stern and the NBA is in big trouble.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Jets O isn't looking good at all.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

What on earth can Stern do about the NBA refs? Fire 'em all and start over? What a mess.

Not saying Donaghy is the best source, but his naming names isn't going to make anybody happy.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Peterson isn't look bad at all.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Nate they said the same thing on Fox News. I just think it is funny how everyone is saying that about Donaghy but no one says that about the people in the Vick case. Especially since one of the guys wasn't even smart enough to not take drugs while he was out on bail.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy: I'm seeing Superbad tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I expect a full report P Diddy; I'll go or not go on your recommendation.

Posted by: Megskin | August 17, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Vick is lucky that dogs can't testify!

DMGO!

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

They can play poker and smoke cigars, but a dog has yet to testify in federal court.

I'm thinking dogs playing poker is probably the fourth most common internet search of all time

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

jm, completely agree that the other indicted guys in the Vick case don't look like reliable sources.

But I had a hunch from the beginning that the investigators would 'follow the money' and wind up with Vick. Just because sometimes the big guy is behind the scenes financing things but otherwise keeping his hands off, and THAT's the guy the authorities want to take down, even more than the foot soldiers. (Not basing this on any facts at all, it was just my armchair take on the situation for the past few months.) Like, where else were those lowlifes getting the money to do all this stuff?

But man, I still don't know what to make of any of this. As I wrote up here last night, Vick is one of the five biggest stars in what is by far the biggest sport in this country, and it looks like he's going to be out of the sport for a long time or maybe forever. We may never see anything like this again. I sure as hell hope we never see anything like this again.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Seventy-five thousand comments up here. And counting.

That is ridiculous. Patently absurd. I love this blog.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Robert Ferguson 6-1 210lbs.....Hey the Packers released him...This could be the bigger WR that really could help the Skins...

Posted by: Leevi | August 17, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

DMGO!

Smack you know that was just totally wrong. LMGO!

Nate I agree with you. At this point I really don't know what to think. These guys got to be smarter about their inner circle. Doing security I have seen how it's hard to know who to trust so you go with the people that's been around you. But damn you can't allow yourself to get caught up in some crazy sht like this.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Leevi, pack4life, even if Ferguson were cut loose, can we still somehow send B.Lloyd away?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Nate, if Donaghy isn't the best source who is - the bookie who took their bets? That's the thing about crimes like drug conspiracies, car theft rings, illegal gambling or dogfighting, you don't find too many upstanding citizens around witnessing it. Bad people most often do bad things with other bad people.

As to Vick's co-Ds, yeah they get high and sell drugs but bottomline issue will be are they lying about the dog fighting and Vick's involvement. Who would know better what was going on if not them?

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

My 'five biggest stars' line got me thinking... who are they?

BBM
Brady
Favre
Vick
and then... Reggie Bush? Urlacher?

dare I suggest T.O.?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

LT?

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I think there's a big three and a bunch of other guys bunched together after that.

LT
BBM
Brady
and the rest led by
Vick, Urlacher, Bush, Ocho Cinco, etc.

Favre's time has passed.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree Smack. No way LT is not on that list of top 5.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Far be it from me to argue with one of America's finest jurists, Learned Hand, but I was not referring to their likely proximity to nefarious activities -- who would have a better vantage point than any of these dudes? -- but to the possibility of rather dubious information being provided by them under the duress of heavy heavy pressure from the authorities. That's all I meant.

But again, this is all armchair stuff from me, and I find each of these situations baffling and sad on its own merits. Bad for the people involved, bad for the sport(s), bad for the fans. Boo!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant star in the sense of celebrity. I wouldn't recognize LdT if he walked in to the house right now and handed me a lightning bolt.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Nate never botches that bad, he meant five biggest stories, not five biggest stars.

LT is the best in the NFL, but he sparks no controversy. You say LT is the best, Skins fan Giants fans whatever, you just nod.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Ocho Cinco. I love that guy. He still play like he is a kid having fun. No harm trash talking like we all did back in the day.

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

For whatever it's worth, I love love love the Chargers' white helmets for this season. Just wish they'd gone with the baby-blue unis.

Now THAT would be a costume which might help the fans forget that Norv is on the sideline, at least for a few weeks.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

New Post

Posted by: jm220 | August 17, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Man with lightning bolt enters.

Nate: Thor?

LT: No, but my wife is.

Posted by: SMACK | August 17, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

That is awesome, SMACK. Nicely done, sir.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Learned, has anyone seen his brother Leonard Hand?

Posted by: cload and daggar | August 17, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

You know how he hates that, Claude.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Nate, do I detect sarcasm?

I'm a little surprised, and guess I shouldn't be, that people question the operation of the criminal justice system when celebrities are involved. Most crimes are solved because someone - cops, prosecutors, mommas - put pressure on witnesses, co-Ds or the accused every day.

Believe me, Vick would not be contemplating a guilty plea if all the feds had was the word of Peace, Phillips and Taylor. Plus, his is a fed case with sentencing guidelines. They are going to do time whether they testify or not so there's really no benefit to lying. Cooperation is just a factor that may shave a few months off but they also have aggravating factors that are going to add time to their sentences.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate the Leonard moniker I just wanted to clarify. I guess I should have just accepted the name change like cload and rolled with it.

Posted by: LH | August 17, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

cload, I forget, did you use another moniker up here before Jasno's epic 'cload and daggar' slipup?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

LH, totally understand. I guess my point, to whatever extent I have one that is worth having anyone read, is that I had a hunch that this case, despite all the truly gory details, was going to be about money in the end, and I really, really doubted those losers from the Bad Newz whatevers knew more than one dude who could bankroll a big operation like that one.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, moving my next question in this conversation to the Pete Kendall thread. Too much work bouncing back and forth AND holding a beer bottle. See y'all over there.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not one to troll the other teams official sites/chat rooms, but it's hard to gage the severity of the 'Skin's injury issues vs. other teams. Obviously I don't play at this level, but maybe there's something about their stretching/off-season training/conditioning that's causing these injuries? Any insight is welcome.

Another pass at the schedule says 9-7 or 10-6. The only reason Skins won't sweep the Eagles is McNabb; I'll always take Gibbs vs. Reid with evenly matched teams. I'm worried that the cowgirls may pull a Joe Altobelli-1983 Orioles and play well after the Great One had left, so that's a split at best.

Anyone watch Titans vs. Pats? Brady was getting slammed just like JC, so let's not (again) freak out. Bugel hasn't had a bad O-line since he's been here, so give them a chance. Their long range plan, though, must be securing young o-liners for the next 4-8 years.

Posted by: adinasi | August 18, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse