Posted at 7:25 PM ET, 12/12/2010

District native Benn hurts Redskins

By Paul Tenorio

Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie wide receiver Arrelious Benn had a big day on his return to the D.C. area.

A two-time All-Met wide receiver at Dunbar, Bennn caught 56 passes for 1,039 yards and nine touchdowns as a senior and was the top wide receiver recruit in the country.

In his first game back since he was selected by Tampa Bay with the 39th overall pick out of Illinois in the 2010 draft, Benn caught four passes for 122 yards to help lead the Buccaneers to a 17-16 win.

"I felt so calm, like I was home," Benn said, when asked if he was nervous. "I felt like I was in high school, only playing for a different team. For the most part, I felt real at home and I didn't feel the anxiety that I would feel normally."

Benn beat DeAngelo Hall for a 64-yard reception in the second quarter that set up Tampa Bay's first score, a 25-yard field goal. In the fourth quarter Benn's 43-yard reception set the Buccaneers up with first and goal on the one-yard line. Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman fumbled the snap on the next play.

Benn also had one 17-yard carry on a reverse.

"You know, we realize it's homecoming," Buccaneers Coach Raheem Morris said. "I was able to call him and recruit him here [as an assistant at Kansas State] as a high school man and he chose Illinois over me, but I'm not going to hold that against him, obviously. He came out and he did a great job for us by catching the ball, receiving the ball. He did a great job with blocking on the perimeter and all the things he does for us, he's just getting better and better in Tampa."

By Paul Tenorio  | December 12, 2010; 7:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gano on missed FGs: "They felt good off my foot"
Next: Anthony Bryant, Chris Wilson audition for next year

Comments

When you lose, it is natural for "fans" to question every move, BUT I for one am NOT advocating for any coaching changes. That's all we've had was coaching changes. With the exception of Jim Zorn, the main problem is not the coaching, it is the talent level on this team...Some coaches catch lighting in a bottle and are able to go from worst to first, but you have to have the PERSONNEL to do it.

What other coach would be able to win with these players?

I had no problem with the Donovan McNabb acquisition, but what's key and a good sign for this organization, is that we didn't overpay him or overcommitt.

I guaruntee that Cerrato woould have given McNabb a HUGE extension and Vincent Jackson and/or Randy Moss would be Redskins!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 12, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 12, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the game on DVR right now. Unfortunately my heighbor already ruined the outcome for me so I can comment on here while I watch. First off, Torain looks like a beast early on. Second, when the hell are we going to get a damn field goal kicker thats consistent? Ridiculous.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Other teams 2nd round WRs pan out as rookies. The Skins take guys like Taylor Jacobs, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.

In the words of Chad Dukes:
"I'm sick of it"

Posted by: elfreako | December 12, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say, halfway through the second quarter and this team looks great on both sides of the ball. It's not finishing drives that pisses me off. I think that comes with time. If you notice that's what new teams and young teams struggle with most.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Moss has enjoyed two winning seasons...The talent is there, but they haven't put it together.

Santana Moss says he's frustrated by all the losing he's endured as a redskin.

And with his contract being up this year, you wonder if he blow off re-signing with the skins to take less money with a winning team.

Such a mve by him would totally jack up the redskin offseason talent acquisition priorities.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

F Benn. He spurned the Terps for Illinois and then abused DHall today.

F the Bucs.

Oh and Alstott's elbow was down way short of the goal line. I don't care if it was 10 yrs ago, he's still not in.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

He spurned the Terps for Illinois and then abused DHall today.

Can someone ask Jim Haslett why the redskin corners play so far off the receivers?

It hurts two ways:

--teams can get running yards on the edges of the redskin defense if the corner has 5-7 additional yards to make up for run support

--not taking advantage of 'jamming' a receiver within the 5 yard area where it is permitted doesn't disrupt your opponents timing in the passing game

A Benn isn't all that.

But like with the Hagans kid last week in New York (and other receivers all year long), the redskin coverage made him look better than he actually is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

How dose a QB have a RB run for over 170 yards and not win a game ? Did they Really want to win ? Is this team thinking draft picks? Is this Proffesional wrestling or what ? I mean this team should have won hands down, there the laughing stock of the NFL. and they could'nt stop laughing on the NFL network. UFB

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 12, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Im not trying to make excuses but orakpo did get mugged on that touchdown pass. I was screaming at the tv when it happened and I just say a replay of the play and I started screaming again. Also very encouraged by the running game today.

Posted by: wattsicon | December 12, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to look at some positives from this game.

!. Anthony Bryant - Solid game, can he do it game after game.

2. Kory Lichtentstieger - Had a good game run blocking.

3. Torain - If he can stay healthy...

4. J Brown - Looks like he's rounding into shape

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Fascinating multi-post from scamp above... that was some kind of magick going on at 7:45-46 blog time, baby! I love that in one of the eight the last sentence is complete, and in the other seven it gets cut o

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 12, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to look at some positives from this game.

!. Anthony Bryant - Solid game, can he do it game after game.

2. Kory Lichtentstieger - Had a good game run blocking.

3. Torain - If he can stay healthy...

4. J Brown - Looks like he's rounding into shape

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 8:02 PM

Agreed.

I'd that Doughty had a nice game too. Kory had an exceptional game getting to the second level while run blocking.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

An observation:

Those of us who've been off the McNabb Bandwagon saw today what has annoyed us all season:

The Ground Ball/Off the Mark Passes

You really wonder just how much more production the redskin offense would've had today had receivers been hit in stride or not have to bend down to 'scoop' up poor throws.

Today was the kind of game you'd hope your veteran/'elite' quarterback would've won.

We really can't count the number of games won by McNabb because his play has pulled the team out of a jam as there haven't been any to think of (Green Bay?).

McNabb lost today to a 2nd year quarterback in J Freeman playing in an offense with 5--count'em--5 rookie starters and a makeshift offensive line.

Let's draft his replacement next Spring, please!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Florio saying on Foxsports radio that Shanahan is on a really hot seat right now and that Danny likes Gruden. A lot.

No way Danny is eating Shanny's contract. Plus, I genuinely think he will give him time. I hate Florio some days.

Posted by: will_ga | December 12, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

will--You're right. Florio's blowing wind. If Danny wanted Gruden he could have gotten him when he fired Zorn.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 12, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Florio said Albert to Tennessee was a done deal back during training camp, he also said prior to the trading deadline that Vincent Jackson to Skins was a done deal. Why anyone would get worked up over anything he wrote regarding the Skins is amazing to me.

Posted by: NAVContractor | December 12, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Don't do it scamp. Find something else to watch.

Posted by: mack1 | December 12, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | December 12, 2010 8:10 PM |
======================

I hate Florio every day !!! HTTR

Posted by: ho-skin | December 12, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

In the words of Chad Dukes:
"I'm sick of it"

Posted by: elfreako | December 12, 2010 7:44 PM

Are you really quoting that joke? he is 300 pound nerd that has never played 1 second of competitive sport in his life. he alone ruins a radio show.

Posted by: the_shocker1 | December 12, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

mack1, you know he'll watch. I watched two losses after the fact this season because I had to see it. I had to know how it went down, exactly why we sucked. Face it, we're skins fans. We're some sick f*cks.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 12, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Kory had an exceptional game getting to the second level while run blocking.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 8:06 PM

We couldn't finish drives because McNabb was under ridiculous pressure too many times when he dropped back to pass. Sadly, you can point the finger squarely (though not solely) at Lichyurmother for that. He and Rabach again got trucked on a regular basis.

We just are not big enough and physical enough to dominate at the line of scrimmage.

That simply has to change or we will never be competitive the way we expect to be.

I do recognize that McNabb missed some easy throws when he was not being pressured (like the throw to the flat to Cooley in the 1st Quarter on 3rd down in the redzone).

I also recognize that we could not run well in the redzone because we could not bull them off the line when we wanted to.

Sadly, I suspect that much of our early running success is as much attributable to a scheme choice by Tampa Bay to keep everybody back and prevent the big play and force us to drive the ball as it is to our line dominance. Looking back, that was a pretty smart choice. We could move from 20 to 20, but not much further.

Having Torrain back to pick the right cut backs and lanes also certainly helped our run game a lot.

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_shocker1 | December 12, 2010 8:47 PM

To be fair, Lavar does a pretty good job with the whole ruining thing.

RE Florio- The only way Shanahan is not back next year is if he's dead. You freaks need to give him a little more than 10 months to fix 10 years.

And yes the last minute of the 1st half was an embarrassment. It also doesn't help that the QB that they sent a 2nd and 4th to a division rival sucks and his football IQ is less than 80 (retarded).

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

It's Dallas Week, btw.

We play them there Sunday at 1 pm.

Gitcha hate and popcorn ready.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

My fantasy matchups are creating some, er, interesting rooting interests for this game. I feel dirty.

And no, I don't have any Pukes on my squad. But lets hope this is a defensive struggle that ends in a tie.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 12, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2010 8:54 PM

Edvar- Kory was consistently getting to the 2nd level in the run game. I made no mention of his pass blocking. Even when McNabb had time today, he was terrible.

Rabach is garbage, but Kory had a good game run blocking. If you're gluten for punishment, go back and watch the tape.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Gitcha hate and popcorn ready.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12,

I'm good with the hate. Popcorn will have to wait until this nasty bile taste goes away. I've had it about five hours now. Blech...

Posted by: will_ga | December 12, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 12, 2010 8:52 PM

This one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Or even scamp. (I kid you fascist.)

Posted by: mack1 | December 12, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

edvar

I suspect that much of our early running success is as much attributable to a scheme choice by Tampa Bay to keep everybody back and prevent the big play...

True: true to the rules of the Tampa-2, it appeared both safeties were very deep off the ball, meaning the Bucs felt they could control the skins' offense with only 7 players in the box.

The lack of run support from the safeties opened up the redskin run game.

So you wonder: where was the redskin coaching adjustment when things suddenly shut down?

The adjustment against the tampa-2 usually is a strong screen game and tight ends running seam routes.

We tried both, but oh, I forgot: our quarterback kept underthrowing the passes to the screen backs and hitting medium route runners off balance.

Maybe the next coaching adjustment will be benching the quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse