Dockery, Hall Pushed Back a Day

Jason Reid reports:

The mediafest for Derrick Dockery and DeAngelo Hall has been moved from today to tomorrow at 5 p.m.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 2, 2009; 11:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Next Task: Filling Team's Remaining Holes
Next: It's a Matter of Coverage -- and Rushing the QB

Comments

Stat of the Week
Seven years, $100 million. With reachable incentive bonuses, seven years, $115 million.
Everywhere -- in Washington, Nashville and in national publications -- it was written over the weekend that Haynesworth signed the first $100-million contract by a defensive player in league history, a contract that could jump to $115 million if he earned some incentives.
That could happen. I could succeed Roger Goodell as commissioner of the NFL one day, too.
Haynesworth, barring a miracle, will never see the fifth year of the contract. In essence, he signed a four-year, $48-million contract Friday with the Redskins. That will carry him through his 11th season, in 2012 (barring a work stoppage in 2011, which is a real possibility). Here is the real contract:

YearSigning BonusOption BonusSalary

2009$5 million--$6 million

2010--$21 million$3.6 million

*2011----$5.4 million

2012----$7.2 million

Totals: four years, $48.2 million.

Posted by: mopp04 | March 2, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Good...maybe now Zorn can actually think of something funny to say...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 2, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

+++By the way, I finally make it into work sliding around the roads in my Honda Accord....only to find out that the other SOB's from the office took the day off. They all drive 4x4s and SUV's.
Somehow I feel cheated.

Posted by: Predator48+++

I’m out on my sun deck, soakin’ up rays. You be careful out there.

By the way, for anyone with rear wheel drive. Put sandbags or other heavy junk in your trunk. Makes a big dif in snow. I used to live in Boston, drove a sandbagged Celica, never got stuck.)

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

++Dockery, Hall Pushed Back a Day
Jason Reid reports:

And, because you know you want the official word on the snowfall here, let's go to the SnowCam.+++

Typical idiotic front office. Pay 200 mil for three guys and fail to sign that snowplow driver released by the Patriots. Fire cerrato!

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The skins problem last year was the offense could not score any points-the defense did a pretty good job-ranked 4th! We should have upgraded the offensive line-signing Jordan Gross-and then go after T.J. Houshmandzadeh. One of the reasons for poor offense was the WR position and I think Devin Thomas is a bust and Kelly will never be healthy. The skins only have one good wr-Santana Moss!

Posted by: Terptime | March 2, 2009 11:32 AM |

While I agree that the offense needs more help than the defense, I think you missed diagnosed the problem badly. First of Gross was never available, he was resigned before FA even started. Willis is the only young tackle on the market, and I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be over Heyer. Our line is the issue, but the only place we could upgrade in FA was the interior of the line, which we did, and now we can get our Tackle in the draft. We don't need more receivers, or tight ends, the only thing we need are Olineman and a speed back to compliment CP. WRs are a byproduct of the time the QB has. Any NFL receiver can get open if they have 5 seconds to run a route, we get the tackle in the draft and we're good to go, then its on Zorn and JC.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"I used to live in Boston"

There is no one....NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON, who is happier, that this sentence was written in the past tense, than I.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

+++Hello Corky,

I think the holes can be filled through the draft, what do you think?

Posted by: Flounder21 +++

Maybe, but I think the skins need the draft to fill the holes at receiver, line and CB they were supposed to have filled through the draft last year, but didn't, what do you think?

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth rated as FA least likely to disappoint

1. DT Albert Haynesworth / Titans — On the basis of talent and recent production, it is hard to have many qualms with Haynesworth, who is PFW’s top overall free agent. Last season, the 6-6, 320-pound Haynesworth was a force, making 51 tackles and notching 8½ sacks. Haynesworth reportedly will wait until after free agency begins on Feb. 27 to make a decision on where he will play next season. Interestingly enough, the lingering doubts some have about Haynesworth’s relative lack of production in his first five NFL seasons — as well as how hard he will play once he signs a lucrative long-term deal — were not voiced as concerns by our panelists.

By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

ProFootballWeekly

Posted by: ga8085 | March 2, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I believe the issue is that Redskins One does not have snow tires...
On the previous post, I have to chime in with lavish praise for Ray's Hell burgers. So good, they need no condiments. Get grilled onions and white cheddar.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 2, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

mmmm...white cheddar

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

flounder21

Yes: Tauscher and Womack are over thirty.

If age is an issue, then start Heyer at rt (which might happen anyway if the FO wants Orakpo or M Jenkins) and hold your nose.

But I'm not a fan of the idea of giving so much guaranteed money to guys on D when your offense doesn't score. I mean, why isn't winning games 32-21 an option, but having an expensive guy who shuts down the running game so you can lose 17-10 in a passing league is?

The pats franchised Cassel then traded him to the chiefs.

Would any redskin fan be against trading a 1st rounder away to the panthas for the tagged J Gross rather than taking Prince Albert and his upfield burst?

Moe wouldn't be--that is if the choice was there to be made.

But hey, that's what we mean when we say '..bring in a rt who can start on day one..."

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 2, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

+++"I used to live in Boston"

Posted by: BeantownGreg ++++

Oh Beans, you raving Megalomaniac, you vastly underestimate both the swath I cut whilst in Boston, and the level of disinterest I have in your opinion of me.

But you DID remind me of my favorite Kevin McHale story. (You remember Kevin, Big guy, played forward for the Celtics?)

Kevin was once asked to explain the difference between people in Minnesota and Boston.

"Easy," he said. "In Minnesota if you come upon someone stuck by the side of the road in a blizzard you automatically pull over, get out and help get his car free."

"In Boston you speed by, shower the guy with slush, flip him off and continue on, thinking 'there's another A-hole I'll beat to work.'"

Beans, whenever I visualize the object of Kevin's distain, I'll think of you.

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Where do we need depth?

The only place I would say we need depth is maybe at WR or RB.

The rest of the positions, we need STARTERS, not depth.

We have PLENTY of career backups on the O and D lines. Heyer, Lorenzo, Monty, Gholston, Rhino, Clark, Blades, Campbell, etc. etc. These guys are all good DEPTH guys, but they're not 16 game NFL starters.

We need IMPACT STARTERS at a few more positions.... this is why I was arguing for trading UP in the draft for our 3 late round picks.

By the start of 2010, we need STARTERS at:

RT (likely #13 or a trade down this year)
RG (likely thru FA in 2010)
C (2010 draft pick)
LB/DEs (remainder of picks next 2 drafts).

If we can solve those problems the next 2 years, we should be a pretty good team in 2010.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 2, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"and the level of disinterest I have in your opinion of me"

if the above were true, why did you respond..........

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Love how the ad is located on the snowcam.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 2, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

+++cork, I'm curious what year that Celica was.....are you claiming that it was a rear wheel drive Toyota Celica??

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

'84. May have been the last year they were rear wheel drive. Loved it, put more than 120K on it.

I'd gone in my wife's car to a Sabaru dealership to see about getting a 4-wheel drive when I moved there. I saw a similar Celica sitting near the used car lot and--figuring I might get a line on what my Celica was worth--asked the salesman what he was asking for it.

Guy said "Oh, that's my car."

I asked how it drove in the snow.

"I just put some sandbags in the back and it drives great," he said, saving me the cost of a new car and losing a sale.

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Willis is the only young tackle on the market, and I don't know how much of an upgrade he would be over Heyer."

Willis should still be a priority to the Skins, he's not gonna get some record breaking contract. Hopefully the skins can clear a little room (restructure Taylor perhaps) and sign Willis. He's a huge upgrade over Heyer, and allowed only 2 sacks while starting 10 games last year.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

We need more recievers!! we wont go far next year with the same ones we have now. teams will just double moss and cooley and our offense is done. we need to trade down and pick up harvin or heyward bey whos 6-3 and fast as lightning and from MD. we could trade our 3rd rounder from 2010 and our 13th for a later 1st and a 2nd and pick up a solid RT in the 2nd and then address OLB in the 3rd. Thomas and Kelly have already proven that theyre worthless, we cant rely on them again!

Posted by: amsaul | March 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

+++"and the level of disinterest I have in your opinion of me"

if the above were true, why did you respond..........
Posted by: BeantownGreg ++

1. To paraphrase Joe Pesci, "You amuse me."

2. I love the McHale story, and it summarizes the miserable drivers in Boston perfectly.

3. And as always, we kid because we love.

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth rated as FA least likely to disappoint

Posted by: ga8085 | March 2, 2009 11:50 AM

Maybe, but it still feels like a movie I've seen before ... I don't remember whether it was called Bruce Smith or Dana Stubbefield.

Note to Cindy: Unless someone gets out there to shovel around the SnowCam, I don't think the gnome is going to show up for work on his own volition.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

86 was the year they went from rear to front wheel drive.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Does Ray's the Classic do take out?

Posted by: learnedhand1"

I'm pretty sure they don't. You'd have to order the food there, wait for them to bring it, then box it up if you want to do take-out.

But trust me, it's worth the wait.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

declaring thomas and kelly busts is so ignorant.

Posted by: follybeach | March 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Rypien11: under no way shape or form should we 'trade up' in this draft'. As you said we need starters and two picks aren't gonna cut it. Remember how well Ricky Williams panned out as the Saints only pick in 1999? The Skins should trade back in the draft to get multiple picks. This team needs to add linebackers, defensive ends a right tackle and a cornerback (remember Rogers is a FA next year). Also another running back and an additional offensive line would be good late round picks. The Skins have added the stars now they need to add the role players and the depth to help with injuries.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Next Task: Filling Team's Remaining Holes

Jason Reid checks in on a quiet Sunday afternoon: ...

heh heh heh ... he said "holes."

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

im not declaring them busts, but recievers can take a long time to develop. im saying that we cant rely on them to be ready agian this year cuz our offense went nowhere when they werent

Posted by: amsaul | March 2, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I’m out on my sun deck, soakin’ up rays. You be careful out there.

Posted by: TheCork

Don't forget to flip over every few hours Corky. You know, to get that all over tan.

Posted by: Predator48 | March 2, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"(remember Rogers is a FA next year)."

Nope. You've got another 3 years of Carlos. His contract runs through 2011.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks psp. I was going to stop there today on my way to the office but I will wait until I'm next in Silver Spring.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

From the other paper, congratulations to Carlos Rogers:

"It was never that I didn't like playing for the Redskins, but if all of us were coming back, I didn't want to be there because I would be a backup," Rogers said this weekend from Atlanta, where he became a father for the first time last week.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terptime | March 2, 2009 11:32 AM |

What good is it when you defense ranked 4th and:

1. No intercepts
2. No sacks
3. No forced fumbles
4. No turnovers
5. No hurries
6. No pressure
7. No D in 4th quarter

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 2, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

SteveO - If we draft two lineman with #13 and a 2nd rounder, those should be two starters. Were not talking WRs here - lineman/backers are much less risky and should be able to step right in.

Whats the point of having a 5th and 6th in this draft? So we can have more undersized DTs or horrible O-lineman clogging up the 3rd string on the depth chart?

How did we do taking a lineman in the 3rd last year with Rhino?

I don't object to trading back if the 4 OTs and Orakpo are gone.

We don't need to worry about CBs or the secondary for a long time. Rogers and those guys aren't going anywhere.

We're also not going to fill all the holes this year.

We will get a RT. We might get a backer/DE, but at least we have JT this year, so it doesn't need to be solved until next year. We have plenty of O-line backups, and RB is a luxury we can't afford to spend on this year. Maybe next year with a full draft.

So I say again, trade up from 3,5,6... or down from #13... whatever it takes to get as many picks as possible in rounds 1 and 2.

Britton, Loadholt and Mack are all good picks if they are there later. Lots of good LBs as well.

Having a 5th and 6th, and possibly 3rd, gives us nothing that we don't already have.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Ray's the Steaks in Arlington is moving to new digs up the street...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Nope. You've got another 3 years of Carlos. His contract runs through 2011.

Posted by: psps23

-------------

Looks like that site was providing wrong information. That has Rogers listed through 2011, but it doesn't seem that way according to the Times' article:

"You want to perform either way, but the last year of my contract is motivation," Rogers said. "It's time for me to get some of that money that [Hall and Haynesworth] got. But after those deals, I don't know if there'll be any money left for me. I do want to stay. I hope they wouldn't let me go, but you never know. It's a business."

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Look at the 2008 roster and answer "Who gave the best bang for the buck?"

1. London Fletcher
2. Kedric Golston
3. Demetric Evans
4. Chris Horton
5. Jason Campbell

Honorable mention to Laron Landry and Santana Moss.

I think any honest list is going to include Evans. When a team lets their value guys get away, its not a good sign.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"It's time for me to get some of that money that [Hall and Haynesworth] got."

there are always consequences and jealousy and expectations are a collateral outcome of these contracts. Even if the signings prove football wise on the feild a contract like AH and all the CBS league wide this offseason will be transformative for the skins and the league at large.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 2, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If the guy we want is gone by #13, trade all our picks to Detroit for #20 and #33.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 2, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"When a team lets their value guys get away, its not a good sign.

Posted by: zcezcest1"

When a value guy ceases to become a value guy (like when he hits FA), difficult decisions have to be made.

The book isn't closed on Evans. For all we know, he could be another Rock Cartwright or Todd Collins, testing his worth to find out he's not as intriguing as he values himself.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Any NFL receiver can get open if they have 5 seconds to run a route.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 11:43 AM |

But can any NFL receiver run a route? Not if (a) they are Dopey and can't learn the playbook or (b) Sleepy and are sawing logs at the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Interesting post from a Cowboys fan regarding Canty. I must say, I feel the same way, only from a Redskins perspective:

"Although I'm sure Jones is feeling the pinch from the economy, I do not believe that this had much to do with Canty's situation. Even if Canty came back to the Cowboys with an offer around 6-7 mil a year, it still was to high of a price to pay for the expected return. It's hard to justify that kind of money for Canty when compared to the rest of the DL's salaries. Jones has to consider the future ramifications of a 7 mil contract to an average to above-average player. You can't field a competitive team with the cap and pay average players 6-7 mil. If Jones gave in to Canty's requests, then any player who merely did their job to a satisfactory level would be well-warranted to request elite pay for average performance. There is a pecking order in the salary cap universe and Canty wanted to leapfrog the process at the expense of his teammates and former team. Canty was a corporal or NCA who wanted to be paid like a general. Every team needs it's soldiers and Canty was a promising recruit who might deserve a promotion when his performance reflected his contract demands. Jones is well known for paying his players what they are worth. Renegotiations for the Cowboys are not like some other teams. They typically end up with smiling faces and handshakes. Still, you cannot pay a player based on what you hope he will become. You will end up with a team full of overpaid and unmotivated players. Kudos to Canty for getting paid. Kudos to the Cowboys for not writing the check."

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth rated as FA least likely to disappoint

By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

ProFootballWeekly

Posted by: ga8085 | March 2, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy! Must be written in stone then. How about we go back and look at ProFootballWeekly 2008 predictions and see how those turned out loser!

Posted by: virtueandvice | March 2, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

we need another reciever. there are four good ones that will go in the first round. trade down and get one and use the rest of the picks to pick oline, olb, and de.

Posted by: amsaul | March 2, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Notorious Skins hater Len Pasquarelli AKA Don Vito from Viva La Bam/Right Guard commericials actually likes the Skins moves:

Posted by: MadDog20201 | March 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amsaul | March 2, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

yet your whole argument was to draft heyward bey ro harvin?

Posted by: follybeach | March 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

F pasquarelli no matter what he says...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 2, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"draft heyward bey ro harvin"

what is that...Icelandic?

Posted by: chrislarry | March 2, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Ray's the Steaks in Arlington is moving to new digs up the street...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 2, 2009 12:26 PM

They're gonna sell burgers out of a surplus army foxhole?'

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Anybody got a site that lists ALL of the draft picks this year for ALL teams?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

psp: re: Rogers i think they might have had the right information but I think the last two years of his deal were voidable so thats why he is in the last year of his contract.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The last thing we need to do is spend anymore picks on WRs. We have to give Thomas and Kelly one more year to produce before we do anything else at receiver.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Steveo,

I see now. do you know if it's voidable by Rogers, by the team, or by either party?

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The Coast Guard has found an overturned boat with one person clinging to it in the search for missing NFL players.

Doesn't look good for the guys on that boat.....thoughts and prayers for their families...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Look at the 2008 roster and answer "Who gave the best bang for the buck?"

1. London Fletcher
2. Kedric Golston
3. Demetric Evans
4. Chris Horton
5. Jason Campbell

Honorable mention to Laron Landry and Santana Moss.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse
Has DE signed somewhere? I thought he was still on the market.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 2, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think we should trade for Cutler?

Posted by: F0X7 | March 2, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadDog20201 | March 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Keep reading.....yes, he has 'Skins in his Top 5 Winners in Free Agency but in classic Len "PastaPorkBelly" form, he lists the 'Skins in his Top 5 Losers in Free Agency as well.

So, nothing new from Lenis.

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

psp: Cant remember for sure and I can't find it right now I believe it was playing time and is already voided.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think we should trade for Cutler?

Posted by: F0X7 | March 2, 2009 1:34 PM |

No. This year is about Campbell. If he doesnt work out, then NEXT year we worry about QB. There will be another Cutler on the market every year.

Besides, why do we want a new QB coming in and trying to learn the offense in our Big Run Year? A new QB is something you get in a Rebuilding Year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

te - how are surplus army foxholes stored after they are no longer needed by our boys at the front?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think we should trade for Cutler?

Posted by: F0X7 | March 2, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

UGGH!! No that is a horrible idea. As a 'Skins fan on the Left Coast....Cutler is one part turd and one part 'tard.

I just don't see Gomer Pyle wearing a Redskin Uni.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought CR got caught by the clause that says if a player has less than 6 years experience "in a non-capped season", he becomes an RFA.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I disagree totally, I would love to get Cutler, young mobile with a cannon arm and the willingness to make the tough throw, he threw for over 4000 yards and 25 TDs with no defense to speak of and 5 RBs going to IR. I'd take him over JC any day......I'd trade them betts and our 3, 5th, 6th, and 2nd next year. Keep our 1st and get a tackle, pick up LB depth on the cheap.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think we should trade for Cutler?

Posted by: F0X7 | March 2, 2009 1:34 PM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree, t_e. JC has shown improvement every year. We should stick with him for one more year.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

They install them on the streets here in DC. They`ve put three of them on my block in the last month, and with this storm I`m expecting a few more. Want some for your block?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

sooner or later, we're gonna need to pay a QB. I don't see Cutler as a significant improvement over Campbell. Both QBs are fine if they have time to throw.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

can you purchase them with bonus points?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

I know there is probably no chance, but is there any discussions about Cutler in Ashburn? JC is in the last year of his deal and if you combine his entire career he just barely out performs Cutler's season last year. If he's available we'd be crazy not to see what it takes to get him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | March 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If there isn't a salary cap next year yes Rogers will be a Restricted free agent as will many other players including Campbell for us. But I don't think the Redskins should just assume that will be the case so they should look to add a CB in the draft to help develop just in case.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

'...Does anyone else think we should trade for Cutler?'

Just say no to Cutler.

But cut Colt and bring in Leftwich. Colt could be signed and stashed on the practice squad for all I care.

J Campbell's lifeline as the redskins' starting q-back is 16 games long.

Leftwich gets two seasons as a stop gap should Campbell fail (then we draft Sam Bradford in 2010) or is a better option off the bench than T Collins should Campbell get hurt.

Like most folks, I'm not sold on Mr. Campbell. The 62% passing rating in a dink and dunk offense is just not impressive. He doesn't hit receivers in stride and doesn't have the touch needed to excel in a short passing game.

Leftwich throws a very accurate deep ball and, like Campbell, throws into the center of the field quite well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 2, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Rypien11: http://www.draftnotebook.com/traded%20picks.htm is a great site b/c it shows all the traded picks and what they were for.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If he's available we'd be crazy not to see what it takes to get him.

you were doing so well.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"he threw for over 4000 yards and 25 TDs with no defense to speak of and 5 RBs going to IR."

-----

No Defense and no RB only helped his numbers.

They HAD to throw to stay in games.

Cutler also has the 2nd Most INT's (18) that's 3 times as many as Cambpell (6)

Cutler 18 Int didn't really help his Defense much now did it?

Cutler was 2nd in the league to Brees in Pass Attempts (616), that's a lot! I don't know many QB's that had 616 PA and didn't have over 4000 yards.

Cutler also has the 2nd Most INT's (18) that's 3 times as many as Cambpell (6)

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

There's no chance Cutler moves anywhere except Kansas City. The only reason he was even considered being moved is because Josh McDaniels wanted to bring Matt Cassel with him to transition their offense into the Patriots' offense from last year.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

JC 2008 - 3245 yds 13 TDs 6 picks

Cutler 2008 - 4526 yds 25 TDs 18 picks

So roughly 1300 yards better and a lot more TDs. Sure a lot more picks too, but with our defense now who cares, give me the points and I'll take my chances with our defense.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaah he IS Don Vito!!!! Pastabelli forever!!

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Note: I am discussing this in NFL context not the skins. So keep your reactionary panties on.

psp I think you were right, but my read is that the Broncos (under new management) might have bungled this sooo bad that it might force them to move Cutler. This really is blowing up in their face.

My prediction: Picks from Bucs to Denver for Cutler.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Once the 'Skins get set at LB (maybe let J Taylor play OLB) and add one more CB via draft and/or free agency, I'll be satisfied with the starting lineup rolling into the pre-season.

IF we can get Campbell comfortable (and it's not only a matter of blocking time he needs, it's developing the confidence and ability to make good decisions) OR replace him with someone who is more comfortable (hey this IS a business...) the offense will be fine.

I'd like to see Thomas get into the mix on special teams, figure out if his ability to run end arounds and reverses might be a nice fit there, too.

As for RWD Celicas...71-85 inclusive :)

Go SKINS!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | March 2, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

-------

Cutler? Now Leftwich?!!!! C'mon people, He's Horrible! His legs are slow, his head is slow, and he has the longest, slowest release in the NFL! If we wanted something like that we'd bring Ramsey back! No thanks!

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The "dink and dunk" offense is a product of fan perspective. Campbell can only throw to the routes that are being run. Despite whatever perception people have of Campbell, he hit his 2 most often double-covered receivers (Moss and Cooley) for by far the majority of his completions.

Personally, I'm convinced Campbell is going to be a very good QB in this league, regardless of whether it's for the Redskins. However, I'm not convinced that Zorn is going to be the real deal as a HC. Unfortunately, their fates are tied together with this franchise.

We'll see how it all plays out next season.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Cutler over JC isn't the issue for me as much as the improved O-line will not give JC any more excuses. If he's given time and still throws for a lousy 13 TD's, then he needs to go. IMHO

Posted by: lsskinsfan | March 2, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess we should give Campbell one more year. What round are they expecting Pat White to get drafted?

Posted by: F0X7 | March 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

My prediction: Picks from Bucs to Denver for Cutler.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

and my prediction is that Cutler does indeed get traded, we don't participate because "we have to give JC another year" which we've been saying for 3 years now as we watch him be consistently mediocre. He had a full 16 games with all of his starting skill position players and produced 13 TDs total....that's pitiful...so he gets 16 more games and then we all realize he is actually mediocre and stop making excuses for him and this time next year we're looking for a QB.......its not hard to throw 6 picks when you only throw passes longer than 10 yards like 4 times a season.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

CL - That may be true, but I think everything will calm down in Denver once things get under way. Winning cures all ills.

Personally, if you offered me the chance to bring Cutler to the Skins, I'd do it in a heartbeat. He's the real deal. I just don't think there's any chance of that happening.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Are we still doing bold predictions for next year?

I'll start with the draft..

At #13 The Redskins select OLB Brian Cushing/Manualuga or DE Orakpo.

JC Throws 4300 yds, 23 TDS & 10 INTs.
CR22 catches SEVEN INTS.
DHALL catches Seven of his own.
AH gets FIVE Sacks.
Obama roots for the Redskins.
O Yeah and with Dockery back, the OLine paves the way for 2,200 rushing yrds.

I love offseason Fantasy Football.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

JC 2008 - 3245 yds 13 TDs 6 picks

Cutler 2008 - 4526 yds 25 TDs 18 picks

So roughly 1300 yards better and a lot more TDs. Sure a lot more picks too,

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 1:56 PM

Jack,

Which defenses did Cutler face and which did JC face? And how did the Denver receivers and O line compare to ours?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Campbell sacked 38 times.

Cutler sacked 11 times.

If Campbell had Cutler's protection, he'd probably be polishing Super Bowl MVP trophy right now!!

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

SKIPPY EXPLAINS THE “RULE OF 51 RULE”

Hi I’m Skippy and I have a Mental Plate in my head. Fine, thank you, much better.

Some of you are still confiscated about the “Rule of 51 Rule” regarding crap standards in the NFL. Skippy have studied the ins, the outs the ups and downs of this rule and fully misunderstands its conscripts, which Skippy has held in an envelope in his hand which a child of four can plainly see are hermetically sealed. They've been kept since noon today in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnalls' porch. No one--but NO one!--knows the contents. In his mystical, and borderline way; Skippy will now explain:

First The Rule of 51 Rule extrapolates that the 51 bestest players on each individual team count against the cap, and are allowed to remove their socks and pants to use their toes as well as their large, stropping manhoop to count.

The Rule of 51 Rule, however, only misapplies from now until the day before the season started, whichever comes first. Then, all 53 players, plus players on the IR, the PUP and the SHA-SHIZZLE must count, backwards, while standing on one foot and walking the white line. (No wait, that’s Skippy’s last sobriety test.)

With a current figure of $127 million, plus tacks, the Skins are either $3.5 million under the crap, or $68 Billion over. This has not yet been officially audited or circumcised. The figure also does not include but may preclude the previously re-manipulated downswath of retired salaries, traded players, those guys missing in the Gulf, and the cost of tea in China.

If the ‘skins keep their #13 pick—either inadvertently or vertently--his (or her) salary minus bonus points, plus spillage fee will count against the Cap. This Cap is already available for pre-order from the redskins store at Redskins.Com.

However, if the ‘skins invoke the “if you snooze you lose” rule, as did Minnesota a few years back, it’s Ollie-Ollie Oxen free and the procedure starts over, only with one article of clothing removed.

Fondly,

Skippy

Posted by: TheCork | March 2, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

psp, I don't see a lot of winning in Denver this season......

Posted by: chrislarry | March 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

psp, I don't see a lot of winning in Denver this season......

Posted by: chrislarry

----

Maybe, maybe not. Their 4 best offensive players (Cutler, Marshall, Royal, and Clady) are all young and will improve with another year's experience. The only downside I see to that offense is if McDaniels isn't as good as advertised.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

well, his oline was terrible, he had a premier receiver that was suspended for a game and a rookie as his starters. He had no defense or running game to speak of. Say what you want, but Cutler was a Pro Bowler last year and is one of the 3 elite young QBs in the league (Rivers and Big Ben the others) and if we could get him we should. With our running game, our upgraded oline, and our defense he would be the difference in being a playoff contender and a super bowl contender. JC is a middle of the pack QB, we can win with that but Cutler is an elite QB and would make our chances much better immediately. Argue all you want continue to make excuses and defend JC and try and pretend Cutler isn't that much better but he is.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:23 PM

I don`t know about the rest of you guys, but I find this pretty convincing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

mopp04
Nice post. So much of reality is spin. You see through it.

Posted by: realityvision | March 2, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

He was sacked 11 times because he makes quick decisions, has one of the fastest releases in the game, and ran a lot of rollouts and shotgun plays. His starting line is Clady - good young player but a rookie non the less, Hamilton, Kuper, Weigman, Harris decent players sure but come on, his line was nothing special. They produced 1862 in rushing total for the season, almost 300 yards less than us....they're decent but nothing special as an oline, sacks aren't always the olines fault, JC holds the ball a long time, often runs into sacks, makes slow decisions, and will only throw to a wide open receiver, Cutler on our team would have dropped our sack total in half right there.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"...well, his oline was terrible..."

-------

Cutler sacked 11 times. (ROFLMAO how is an O-line that gives up only 11 sacks in 616 Pass Attempts.....Terrible?!!!)

Campbell sacked 38 times.

If Campbell had Cutler's protection, he'd probably be polishing his Super Bowl MVP trophy right now!!

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

***BEGIN SARCASM***

Yeah, lets bring it Cutler. Not only do we not have the money for it, but it would destroy team chemistry, set us back years, and make us the laughing stock of the league again.

No sense giving the guy whos improved every year another shot. Especially since hes had such a great offensive line and receiving corps to work with.

***END SARCASM***

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 2, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And Cutler was a Pro Bowler in a conference with a lot more quality QBs than in the NFC which JC couldn't even sniff a discussion of being not the worst in his own division much less a top three of the conference.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

ok yeah you guys are right, JC is the best QB in the league and it was all everyone else's fault that his true greatness didn't shine through last year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

And Cutler was a Pro Bowler.....

....so was Gus Frerotte.

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Can you get the surplus foxholes in different sizes? I'd like to test a small one in my street before using the full size model?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 2, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

No one said JC is the best but making a move for Cutler would just be stupid.

See Rypien11 post! LOL

Posted by: filmchis | March 2, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 2, 2009 2:33 PM |

Jack,

When the Skins were 6-2 and Jason had his 110 QB rating everyone was talking about Jason as MVP. So, it was more than a sniff.

Let it be. This is not the year for the Skins to change QB. Obviously they have doubts about the man or they would have extended his contract.

If he doesn`t work out, it will be on him. If he does have a big year, then the `Skins will pay through the nose.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 2, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

We did not run a lot of deep passing routes last year. Most experts say that Zorn needs to hire someone to develop a deep passing game for the 'Skins. We called dink and dunk plays (Zorn's version of the West Coast offense) that is why he completed dink and dunk passes. Those three drafted young receivers should have been used as a decoy by sending them "long" on every passing down. They would have created room underneath and in most cases they would have taken a safety with them or at least made a safety pause and consider covering them. Instead, we ran short routes that defenses picked up on and started jumping the routes. There is a reason we looked so good the early part of the season and looked so bad the second half. Injured OL, lack of depth on the Oline, predictability on the playcalling, revamping the blocking schemes in the second half of the season (may have been done because of injuries) and a whole lot of things. We did not look bad because our QB forgot how to read defenses. He did not have the time to read defenses. He was always on his A$$!!!

Posted by: SPUD2 | March 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Any one thing we should make a run at LB's Cato June or Jamie Winborn? They're both under thirty and recently released from their respective teams. I'd like to see someone experienced at OLB and I don't see a guy with the prerequisite talent on our team. I would also think these guys could be signed on the cheap.

Posted by: buke | March 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

As excited as I am about the signing of the best DT in the league in Haynesworth, I'm as disappointed about the lack of discipline shown by Cerraton and Snyder in failing to recognize this team needed to fill or upgrade 8-10 positions including three O-Lineman, but settled for signing Dockery after essentially leased Pete Kendall for two years for 4th and 6th round picks. A GM who knew what he was doing would have re-signed Dockery before he even became a FA. The contract for Hall probably means that Rogers will be gone after next season and we'll have another big hole at CB to fill.

The Redskins have multiple holes to fill at OLB and drafting one in the 3rd round doesn't guarantee a starter. McIntosh was drafted with bad knees and his play declined after his major knee surgery in 2007. Fletcher is 34 and the Skins are hoping that J. Taylor will be one of LB's in passing downs and Rocky will be 100%,

Again the Redskins make the splashiest signing in FA while the teams ahead of them like NY and Philly sign multiple players to add depth. The fact that Canty signed with NY knowing he might not start says something about the Giants organization. Same thing with a couple of there other FA signing on defense.

Look for another 8-8 year, a change in QB's when Campbell isn't re-signed, and a new head coach unless Zorn can get more out of this offense than last year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 2, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amsaul | March 2, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

yet your whole argument was to draft heyward bey ro harvin?

Posted by: follybeach | March 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

yes so when moss is too old and we get rid of randle el in the coming year or two were set for the future and we can have another option this season if thomas and kelly dont show up for another season.

Posted by: amsaul | March 2, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

WE JUST CUT TAYLOR!!! I SAY GOOD, SPEND THE MONEY ON BRINGING BACK DE AND ANOTHER PLAYER, I CANT BELIEVE IM LOVING THIS TEAM AGAIN!!! OK OK, im calm now

Posted by: jefferboy | March 2, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse