Posted at 4:36 PM ET, 12/17/2010

Donovan McNabb: 'I respect Mike's decision as a head coach, but I strongly disagree with it.'

By Rick Maese

Quarterback Donovan McNabb has a regularly-scheduled session with reporters Wednesday each week, so it's not necessarily a surprise that he didn't field questions Friday after news of his demotion came down.

He did, however, issue a brief statement on Friday afternoon through his spokesman: "I respect Mike's decision as a head coach, but I strongly disagree with it."

McNabb will be making the trip to Dallas with his teammates and will serve as the backup to Rex Grossman against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. Next week, he'll begin serving as Washington's No. 3 quarterback, and Grossman and John Beck will handle the bulk of the practice reps. McNabb's spokesman said McNabb plans on being with the team through the remainder of the season and doing whatever he can to help.

By Rick Maese  | December 17, 2010; 4:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tom Boswell: this was a dumb move
Next: Rex Grossman hopes to make most of unexpected opportunity

Comments

I disagree with bounce passes in football.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

And the Shanahan strongly disagree with 85 mph rocket shots at Keiland Williams' ankles on screen passes.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 17, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different.

It's too bad it came to this, but it's better to acknowledge the problems now than to act as if they aren't there. Over the next three games, there will be a better idea of what impact - positive or negative - DM has had on this offense.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

his cardiovascular endurance and grasp of the "2 minute" (30 second given the coaches not calling timeouts for 1:30 of the final 2) must be suspect again, although they looked fine last week.

and lets continue to evaluate the offensive linemen who would not be starting on any other team.

grossman is not an unknown quantity. this is a joke move by a franchise that has become a joke. why am I not laughing?

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 17, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

and then

beep-beep

again

Posted by: beep-beep | December 17, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

There's no reason not to keep McNabb on the active roster. Just deactivate someone else to bring up Beck. Then, when you've seen enough, toss McNabb back out there to save some face.

Even that'd be offensive, but deactivating a Pro Bowl QB is a serious slap.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 17, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins looked for another miracle this year by bringing in one player and dreaming....reality check! We need to build through the draft and that will take several years! Its tough but its what we have to do

Posted by: Pedro01 | December 17, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

If McNabb is the 2nd string QB in Sunday's game, then he'll be playing by the 2nd quarter. Grossman will have thrown 2 pick sixes by then, fumbled a shot-gun snap, and fumbled from being sacked. However, if I was McNabb I'd refuse to go in the game.

Posted by: clark202 | December 17, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I've always admired McNabb's deep ball (he threw enuf of 'em against us) but was always surprised by his difficulty in throwing the short ball. Bounce passes are great in the NBA,not the NFL. It seems to me this has always been his problem. Now, combine that with lousy backs, receivers, line...this is what you get.

Posted by: wydafish | December 17, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I strongly disagree with ... look left, look right, turf missle into the receiver's left heel.

Posted by: pharrrrtt | December 17, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It would be hard to find any sports organization with less class than the Redskins. I thought they hit bottom last year when Zorn was treated so badly by the Sherm Lewis thing.

My guess is that a major part of the Shanahan-Snyder deal was getting a job for Shanahan junior. Perhaps they think that Grossman or Beck might make junior look better.

The announcement of McNabb's contract earlier this year was a sham. His agent or advisers served him poorly.

I never thought I would say it, but I will be rooting for Dallas tomorrow. I saw my first Redskin game in the early 1940s.

Posted by: phobrien31 | December 18, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Dear "Shanaklan" Suck Fat babies Dick!!

Posted by: phildozier | December 18, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Could this benching have to do with the amount of snaps Mcnabb takes in relation to the pick the Eagles will recieve next year. Just asking

Posted by: karl_grebe | December 18, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain why they signed DMc5 in the first place? Now they think Rex Grossman is a better chance at a win?! This makes no rational sense to me at all.

I have loved the Skins for 30+ years and now after 10+ years of destruction that Snyder has caused.....I don't know what to say.

Posted by: mdflorals | December 18, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse