Posted at 12:36 PM ET, 12/14/2010

Donovan McNabb: No plan to replace me with Rex Grossman last week

By Rick Maese

Drama is never more than a few feet away from Redskins' quarterback Donovan McNabb, and to ensure that Sunday's game had an added layer of intrigue, Fox's Jay Glazer issued a pregame report that Rex Grossman would replace McNabb against Tampa Bay if coaches didn't like the way McNabb played. Grossman practiced more than usual with the starters last week, according to Glazer.

Of course, McNabb played the entire game, and Coach Mike Shanahan declined to discuss the report at his post-game news conference. McNabb told reporters after the game that in the days leading up to the Tampa Bay game, he and Grossman practiced as they normally do.

McNabb offered a lengthier explanation during his weekly radio show Tuesday afternoon on ESPN 980. He said coaches never warned him that turning to Grossman was a possibility against the Bucs.

"I didn't get any word as far as if things weren't clicking or moving that anything would happen," he said.

He said Grossman took snaps with the starters last week, but that was no different than any other week.

"It wasn't anything unusual," he said. "We split time, we took reps, but it was nothing unusual, like he had the brunt load of the offense or anything. We rotate some reps on Wednesday and Thursday, definitely. ...It wasn't anything that was that out of the ordinary."

McNabb didn't have the best game, but he finished it in fine fashion, leading the Redskins 75 yards down the field and throwing a touchdown pass to Santana Moss that pulled the team to within one.

Though McNabb hasn't shown the type of consistency that coaches had hoped for, he's enjoying a decent season in several statistical categories. McNabb is on pace to throw for 4,156 yards, which would be a career high. He's currently ranked seventh in the league in passing yards. But his 14 touchdowns are No. 20 in the league and his 77.1 passer rating is No. 25.

Asked about McNabb's progress last week, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said: "I think it has been up and down. I think it sometimes has been better than others. We are still trying to work on our consistency, but I think it has been up and down."

Many of McNabb's woes aren't measured neatly by numbers. The quarterback says he and the coaches are still getting familiar with one another.

"You have to understand about our relationship is that it's growing," he said. "This is our first full year of being together. We know a little bit about each other. Do we know everything about each other? No. ... Anyone's relationship is going to take time."

By Rick Maese  | December 14, 2010; 12:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: With Favre streak over, London Fletcher tied for most consecutive games played
Next: New way to measure effectiveness of offensive lines

Comments

JErsey Sales at the NFLShop are shared.

Jersey sales from Redskins Stores and the Redskins website danny keeps.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 12:41 PM

Well that makes sense...running a store and giving away 97% of your gross would be kind of nuts.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

JErsey Sales at the NFLShop are shared.

Jersey sales from Redskins Stores and the Redskins website danny keeps.....

Posted by: 4thFloor

Got a feeling there will be a lot of Skins jerseys that get substantial discounts this offseason ... get 'em before they get turn into tax deductions for Haitian earthquake victims

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Boy....McNabb would be such a great tutor to Cam Newton.

That is all....

8.San Francisco (5-8)
9.Tennessee (5-8)
10.Washington (5-8)
11.Houston (5-8)
12.Minnesota (5-8)
13.Cleveland (5-8)
14.New England – from Oakland (6-7)
15.Seattle (6-7)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Forget about jersey sales. I never understood the whole jersey fetish in the first place. It's not like people are going to think you're on the team or anything. is it a homo-erotic thing? Sorry I even brought it up.

Here's what I'd like to discuss.

Who do people think Shanny can trade, and what do people think he could get north of a ham sandwich?

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep's labeled us as sock puppets, so we've embraced it. It stands for Sock Puppet Gang. Hey Play, show him the secret handshake....

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:33 PM

You're in charge of recruiting now...I can't handle the rejection any longer after scamp turned down his offer from the SPG.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

But we're all in the same brain, if I'm doing it then you are doing it!!! Man, beep's right, this is confusing!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Donovan McNabb: No plan to replace me with Rex Grossman last week
By Rick Mease

He needs to be replace but not by the human TO machine or the 29 YR old Beck. The McNabb trade has been a disaster but we need him for one more year while we address bigger needs.

Cam Newton will be playing in the Desert or San Fran. Luck will be the 1st overall pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 14, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

They're not? And yes.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

pep, unless they're trading Rak/Landry, they're getting nothing back for what they've got. AH might fetch a 4th rounder, but not much more...after this season #5 might get you a third....Carter gets maybe a 4th/5th....they should have traded Marcus Mason for Brady when they had the chance.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth for a 4th and McNabb for a 3rd sounds about right and do-able, i.e. a good idea for the offseason.

Carter for a fifth or even sixth I would do -- depending on the cost of keeping him as a situational and increasingly ineffective pass rusher. Last year they should have moved him. Grr...

Forget about trading Rakpo or Landry...jersey sales and all...

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I think 'Zona might give up a 2nd for McNabb.

I really hope they do.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone want to trade Rak and LaRon?

Those guys are awesome.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

One of the best summations of the Skins ... from the Mosley chat on ESPN:

Jonny (Norfolk,VA)

Would you agree the Skins would be wise to keep McNabb and draft another top offensive lineman with there 1st round pick. Then concentrating on adding a NT.

Mosley

Can't get fixated on one position. Skins have to stop taking shortcuts. And by the way, McNabb was a shortcut.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I think 'Zona might give up a 2nd for McNabb.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:19 PM

Why do you think that? Is Vinny working for them now?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

JErsey Sales at the NFLShop are shared.

Jersey sales from Redskins Stores and the Redskins website danny keeps.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 12:41 PM

That is not true all Jersey sales no matter where they are sold from are shared. So are any other items officialy licensed by the NFL.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 14, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone want to trade Rak and LaRon?

Those guys are awesome.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Just being silly, my friend.

Indeed, they rock. Shame about LL missing almost half the season though.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I think 'Zona might give up a 2nd for McNabb.

I really hope they do.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:19 PM

Come on, iHess. You're the guy who thought that the Redskins would win their last five games and go to the playoffs.

Only way any team will give up a second for McNabb is if three teams want him and get in a bidding war. They can all see film of him. The story's out that the Redskins got fleeced by the Eagles. We'd be lucky to get as much for him as we got for Campbell.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

We have soooo many needs that we shouldn't be fixated on one position, which means if we can't trade down in the 1st round for more picks, then drafting the best available player is probably a good idea. By my estimation, TE and FB are the only positions we are set at and we don't need. Sure, our BIGGEST needs are G, NT, and WR, but we can't afford to reach for a player if he doesn't fit at that spot we are drafting!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Glazer is a motormouthed BS artist who's been hit in the head way too many times. I think he makes a lot of that stuff up.

If Rex "That Idiot" Grossman was on tap to replace McNabb, it would have happened in the third quarter. McNabb pulled another of his "who am I, why am I here" acts. Does the dude need medication? I swear he goes through sequences, usually at the start of a half, where he is wondering which huddle to join.

That said, this is Dallas week. I hate Dallas, with the burning heat of a thousand suns. I am sad that that pasty-faced potbellied banana-spined whipping boy Wade got fired. He was one of the best things that ever happened to Amurika's Team.

I'm sad that Tony Ohno is hurt and won't get a chance to be crushed into that stupid blue star in front of their fat, stupid, good-ole-boy, bible-thumping, sheep-molesting, self-hating fans.

I want to see John "Convict" Kitna knocked right into Jason "Clipboard" Garrett on the sidelines. I want to see Chris Cooley knock Terrance Newman on his face and step on his back AGAIN. I want Ryan Torain to flatten Gerald Sensabaugh on his way to 200 yards and 4 TD.

I HATE DALLAS. Duck Fallas!!

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 14, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I think 'Zona might give up a 2nd for McNabb.

I really hope they do.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:19 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I also said I was wrong.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

you trade ll/Rak because you have so many needs...if Rak brings you a 1, and a 2, you have to at LEAST think about doing it...in order this team needs 2 guards, 2 wideouts possibly 3 if SMoss leaves, a QB to groom, a RB, a NT, DE, at least 2 LB's, possibly a CB, and a S....

no one should be above reproach...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

McNabb for a 2nd????

Only one team is stupid enough to trade a 2nd for McNabb and compound that mistake that added this YRs 4th.

Maybe a 4th or 5th but the more McNabb plays the lower his trade value falls.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 14, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

RE: Donovan McNabb -- No plan to replace me with Rex Grossman last week

The RI faithful know it was all part of Ol' Shanny's Grand Deception Plan to fool the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tune in this Sunday for another episode of "As the Redskins Turn" live from Dallas.

In this week's adventure -- titled "Duped in Big D" -- Ol' Shanny convinces the Dallas coaching staff to spend several extra hours figuring out how to defend against John Beck "hooking it up" with Roydell Williams on a hook and ladder play originating from the lone star of the Dallas stadium's 50 yard line.

According to one insider, "It won't matter what's the score, what's the down, or even what's the situation -- all you need to know is that as soon as we reach that star, we're going for it."

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I really do believe a third for McNabb is doable, certainly nothing less than a fourth.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think 'Zona might give up a 2nd for McNabb.

I really hope they do.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Doubt we'd see anything close to a 2nd for Donovan.

'Zona will have a few choices for QB, including the draft. Palmer may be done in Cincy. Troy Smith may not be great, but he led SF to 3 Ws in 5 games (losses to GB and Tampa). If Colt gets the job in Cle, Seneca Wallace is a decent player. Volek from SD might be wanting a starting job and then there is Vince Young. Probably forgot a few guys, but AZ won't have much trouble upgrading.

Thing is, if AZ doesn't upgrade, Larry Fitzgerald will leave.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Glazer is sock-puppet. You can guess what he's wrapped around

Posted by: erthdog | December 14, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

If they are surprised that McNabb is inconsistent then that is their own fault. Inconsistency is the hallmark of his career. In the end, he always put up good statistics and usually a lot of wins in Philadelphia, but he it was always a week-to-week proposition whether or not he would play well in a given game. Plus he has never been a particularly accurate passer. Add to that inferior talent and the fact that he is now 33 years old and, well, the Shannahans should have known what they were getting. But that they apparently think Grossman is an upgrade really makes me question their evaluation skills. I do fail to see, however, what McNabb gets this team that Campbell could not have. We can lose games with an inconsistent Jason Campbell, plus we would have had two more high draft picks and could actually be trying to rebuild by looking for a young QB rather than wasting more time and money on another teams cast off. My point is not that Campbell is a superior player, he is not, but right now the difference between the two is negligible. Neither is very good and McNabb will end up costing a 2nd/4th and time when we could have been searching for/developing a legitimate prospect. Andy Reid wins again.

Posted by: Ehren | December 14, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1
_____________________
Sorry, but didn't Tennessee offer a 4th for Haynesworth before the season started, only to be turned down by Shangenius Sr? Even though we all know AH will have a great season next year--somewhere else--I do not think any team will offer anything for him now. At best a seventh, or possibly he could be used as a throwin to arrange to move up two or three picks, though not in the first round.

McNabb is the kind of quarterback who sits at home waiting to be called in in case of injury. He has been unimpressive this year. I can't see any team wanting him. Maybe a sixth or seventh to the team who drafts Luck or Newton, if they don't have an experienced qb around to show ropes. But that's really a longshot.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | December 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Skins should think of giving Grossman a little playing time this year anyway. IF Skins can trade McNabb next year they should do it (he will not get better only older next year). Then the Skins will need Grossman to hold the fort until the new QB is ready.. And please no Cam Newton.. I can't take another QB from Auburn!!

Posted by: sovine08 | December 14, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings should still be in win-now mode next season. They are just as dysfunctional and delusional as the Redskins. Maybe the Vikings send a 4th round pick to the Skins for McNabb?

Posted by: coparker5 | December 14, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I guess the McNabb experiment is close to over. No Cam Newton, the last thing this team needs is another black QB. Too much political correctness overtakes this organization when they have a black QB. If that sounds racist, too bad, I'm sorry I offended you. The Skins could have had a shot at Sam Bradford and decided to go another direction(McNabb). What a bunch of turds.

Posted by: theBozyn | December 14, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Can we call a Broncos backup from the Shanahan years and see if the 2nd stringer QB with 1st team snap taking is a standard practice?

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 14, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

You're better than that - the only statistics that anyone cares about are wins and losses and QB rating and McNabb is 25th. He's having a @#itty year are you kidding me?

Posted by: nativedc | December 14, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: theBozyn | December 14, 2010 2:39 PM
---------------------------------------
Why apologize for your racist ways..just be that! that's all!...you know it sounds racist that why you wrote it!

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 14, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I HATE DALLAS. Duck Fallas!!

Did you say you like Molesting Sheep?

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 14, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing the deals that Redskin fans think their team can make! Both Haynesworth and McNabb's value have dropped like two crystal vases you let loose six feet above a slate floor. Really, the Redskins have very little other teams want. Other than their money and their draft picks, of course.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | December 14, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't think starting Grossman is going to help this team win a game. However, I wish they would start him against Dallas and finally get it out of their systems and through their thick skulls that Rex IS NOT THE ANSWER for this team. McNabb? Not the best season so far but I agree with him that it takes time to get in sync with a team, a coaching staff, and players that are really out of sync. The end of this season might be too late though.

We can look back at several things affecting the performance this year overall. Portis goes out, sacks go up. McNabb gets benched in Detroit, team morale takes a nose dive. Gotta remember that these guys though they are millionaires are very young and immature by life standards. Takes them a while to mature and handle life the way it really is. Haynesworth issues all year, then he's gone and they at least played with some zest last Sunday. Yes, Haynesworth is a young dummy who may look back at all this and wonder WTF he was doing. Ask Mike Vick about how that feels...

Posted by: BenThere | December 14, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

don't worry the Redskins are going to lose those last 3 games and finish 5-11, so the pick is going to be higher than #10.

this club needs to draft a young quarterback and begin the process of rebuilding this team instead of pretending that 34 year old guys in trade and 32 year old guys off the waiver wire are going to be difference.

instead of picking up someone else's hand-me-downs, let's find our own talent.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | December 14, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

*********************************************
Exactly Right! Anyone over the age of 16 wearing a jersey is a full on loser.

Posted by: ElSith | December 14, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth for a 4th . . ." Yeah, right--Belichick will jump on that option.
Only the Skins are that gullible. McNabb was a journeyman, really, and the Skins jumped at that chance: I'm watching what Reid does with those draft choices. . . .
The Skins have too many Snyders, too many Allens. Until that changes, keep getting used to mediocrity (at best). Me, I'll watch the Patriots, and even the Lions (beat the Skins, right?).

Posted by: Pangraz | December 14, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

for all of you blind football idiots calling for donovans head and calling rex a bum,try to comprehend this one fact.with this o-line,tom brady,peyton manning,joe montana,and johnny unitas would all look like bums running for their lives,throwing lame duck balls for fear of being hit. with the o-line and the sorry azz recievers we aint going nowhere!

Posted by: billydee123 | December 14, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601
~~~~
I'm reading this nonsense from this bunch also-THEY ARE DREEEEAMMING!!! No other team is going to trade a second rounder to the Redskins unless it's for Orakpo or Trent Williams so you might as well forget that.

No offense fellas, but other than Nemo the rest of you don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 14, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

A Haynesworth = 2nd or 3rd round pick.*
A Carter = 3rd round pick maybe a 2nd
D Dockery = 4th round pick
C Cooley = 3rd round pick maybe a 2nd
S Heyer = cut or special teams
C Portis = passing and 3rd down back
D McNabb = 2rd round pick**
J Brown = 3rd round pick (move to rt hasn't worked out)
L Alexander = 3rd or 4th rounder***

Needs, everything but in no particular order
qb of the future, starting rt, depth at tackle, starting center, starting lg and rg, #1 receiver, starting rb, starting nt, starting re/dt, starting olb, lb depth, starting FS what has K Moore done anyway?
When I see these type of moves happening then I'll start to believe in our gm and coach.

*If we can't get that then let him ride the pine and suffer, we've already paid him most of his contract anyway.
** Let Rex play for a year, we're not going anywhere anytime soon. Get the value for McNabb while we can. Cle maybe..
***He's not a starting olb! He probably doesn't want to be a depth player much longer

Posted by: MaxnDC | December 15, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

KA-BOOM......Blow'er up!!!!! If Shanahan has final say on personnel, why do they have a GM? The man cannot judge talent! Get a REAL GM!!! Man, this road goes on forever and the party never ends.........

Posted by: RealConservative | December 15, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Are Kyle and Rex bed buddies? What does he see in Rex that the rest of us are missing???

Posted by: steven09 | December 15, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

$88.5 million later, how is this is even being discussed?

Posted by: Chuckled | December 15, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse